Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

What's funny is that Nix was my top target in round 1 as I expected Jernigan and Donald to be gone. I was ecstatic when Jernigan fell that far.

Richgurg wasn't even on my board for round 2 because I thought he would be long gone.

The guy I was targeting in round 3 got taken ahead of me and Bitonio was my fall back option. I'm surprised he was even still available.

Belichick won't draft this well, nice job.

Just an FYI, here is a 2014 compensatory pick projection list. Pittsburgh ought to get their next pick ready, cause they are definitely getting a 3rd. I also agree with the Greg Jennings 3rd rounder, and the order of these two picks. Wallace's contract was much more expensive, so Pittsburgh should go first. We'll know for sure soon enough, but just wanted to throw that out there so the two GMs can start thinking about their picks.

3 – Pittsburgh – Mike Wallace

3 – Green Bay – Greg Jennings

4 – San Francisco – Dashon Goldson

4 – Baltimore – Paul Kruger

4 – Detroit – Gosder Cherilus

4 – Baltimore – Dannell Ellerbe

5 – Houston – Connor Barwin

5 – New York Jets – LaRon Landry

5 – Baltimore – Cary Williams

5 – Atlanta – Brent Grimes

5 – Pittsburgh – Keenan Lewis

5 – New York Giants – Martellus Bennett

5 – Baltimore – Ed Reed

5 – Houston – Glover Quin

6 – New York Jets – Mike DeVito

6 – Green Bay – Erik Walden

6 – New York Jets – Dustin Keller

6 – New England – Patrick Chung

6 – Cincinnati – Manny Lawson

6 – St. Louis – Brandon Gibson

6 – New York Jets – Shonn Greene

7 – St. Louis – Bradley Fletcher

7 – Dallas – Mike Jenkins

7 – Cincinnati – Pat Sims

7 – St. Louis – Craig Dahl

7 – St. Louis – Rob Turner

7 – Dallas – Victor Butler

7 – Cincinnati – Bruce Gradkowski

7 – Atlanta – Will Svitek

7 – Atlanta – Christopher Owens

7 – San Diego – Shaun Phillips

7 - Dallas - Kenyon Coleman

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html

Well with Kubiak gone, we probably won't have an Alan Bonner or David Anderson type pick. Or we will find out it was Rick doing that all along...

Let's hope so. I was always under the impression that the GMs owned the draft picks, but it appears that Rick snaked his way out of a firing by putting it all on Kubiak. With that said, I'm pretty confident Rick played more than enough of a role in the draft picks and he likely hasn't gotten any better.

Late round picks are definitly a crap shoot. But the more rolls of the dice, the better chance you have of winning.

I hear you bro and I definitely love odds. I would be cool with giving up 3 - 5s, a 6, and a 7 for a late 3 if possible for less rolls of the dice though. I just have no trust in our talent evaluators. I am probably just bitter moreso than anything else, but damn, we have a bad history at the draft (especially after round 4 - I see 0%, and yeah, I'll argue Casey is a loser):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history

deepest draft class in years possibly ever :kitten:

I hear you, probably just bitter about the people doing the selecting. We will see though. I sound like I'm complaining about a free gift right now like a child, I'll back off and hope for the best.

I hear you bro and I definitely love odds. I would be cool with giving up 3 - 5s, a 6, and a 7 for a late 3 if possible for less rolls of the dice though. I just have no trust in our talent evaluators. I am probably just bitter moreso than anything else, but damn, we have a bad history at the draft (especially after round 4 - I see 0%, and yeah, I'll argue Casey is a loser):

If a team takes a player, keeps him through his contract, has him as a starter and he goes on to get a fat contract elsewhere and you are calling it a failed pick, it's time to reconsider your grading scale.

If a team takes a player, keeps him through his contract, has him as a starter and he goes on to get a fat contract elsewhere and you are calling it a failed pick, it's time to reconsider your grading scale.

Keo is a starter.

I would call that a failed pick. Not all starters are created equal. Especially ones picked by the Texans org.

The thing I cant wait to see is if Gary was holding Rick back. It's almost time to find out where the rubber meets the road concerning Rick's job performance. (Finally)

Keo is a starter.

I would call that a failed pick. Not all starters are created equal. Especially ones picked by the Texans org.

The thing I cant wait to see is if Gary was holding Rick back. It's almost time to find out where the rubber meets the road concerning Rick's job performance. (Finally)

Do you really think anything you say about Keo affects whether Casey counts as a good pick?

But OK, try and bullcrap around it all you want, late round picks are not failures if they contribute as much as Keo. He wasn't supposed to be the starter but filled in and by your own admission played better than you thought he would. Shiloh was picked for depth and ST and that is what he has been.

You constantly live in this manufactured world of "the Texans suck" and won't examine them against reality or the league. Tom Brady is not the standard for how good teams are able to draft.

* If you are trying to tie this in with the other conversation with that out of place "Keo is a starter" and not all starters are equal stuff you just hit air. The discussion in the other thread was about 3rd round picks. Keo as a 5th was not counted.

Wow bro, you just came in here with rage and guns blazing. We haven't really had any aggression in almost 46 pages here.

I don't evaluate Texans on how much the Eagles love to overpay for our scraps. He went to the Eagles and played 150 offensive snaps and had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Maybe he was more featured here, but that didn't mean he was worth it or even good. Kevin Walter saw significant playing time on this team and (in a world where this could be proven) I would lay down some cash on his ineffectiveness on just about every other team in the NFL.

You think Casey is good, I don't, that's cool. Do your thing. No need to mock me. I've been wrong before.

Wow bro, you just came in here with rage and guns blazing. We haven't really had any aggression in almost 46 pages here.

I don't evaluate Texans on how much the Eagles love to overpay for our scraps. He went to the Eagles and played 150 offensive snaps and had 3 receptions for 30 yards.

Maybe he was more featured here, but that didn't mean he was worth it or even good. Kevin Walter saw significant playing time on this team and (in a world where this could be proven) I would lay down some cash on his ineffectiveness on just about every other team in the NFL.

You think Casey is good, I don't, that's cool. Do your thing. No need to mock me. I've been wrong before.

Are you steelb?

I made a very simple observation to you. And I neither said nor think Casey is good. I said if you consider him a failed pick you need to reconsider your evaluation.

No idea why you bring up Walter.

Rage?

Casey was a contributor here. He wasn't a failed pick. The failing was the FO not finding a better player to supplant him. Also, notice how we wait until our guys leave in FA before we move to replace them. Meanwhile teams like BAL, SF, & NE are replacing their guys a year or two in advance.

Example, Arthur Jones was a very good player for Baltimore and he just signed a big FA deal with the Colts. What are they going to do? Oh right, they drafted Brandon Williams last year, who will step in at NT while Ngata moves back to DE.

Another example, Brandon Spikes was the starting MLB for New England and they weren't planning on re-signing him. What are they going to do? They drafted Jamie Collins in the 2nd round last year and he's now their starting SLB and Dont'a Hightower is moving to MLB to replace Spikes.

These teams have vision and a plan. They act in advance to always stay ahead. Meanwhile the Texans are just treading water trying not to drown.

Do you really think anything you say about Keo affects whether Casey counts as a good pick?

But OK, try and bullcrap around it all you want, late round picks are not failures if they contribute as much as Keo. He wasn't supposed to be the starter but filled in and by your own admission played better than you thought he would. Shiloh was picked for depth and ST and that is what he has been.

You constantly live in this manufactured world of "the Texans suck" and won't examine them against reality or the league. Tom Brady is not the standard for how good teams are able to draft.

* If you are trying to tie this in with the other conversation with that out of place "Keo is a starter" and not all starters are equal stuff you just hit air. The discussion in the other thread was about 3rd round picks. Keo as a 5th was not counted.

2-14 Do the Texans not suck at this point and time? Where the blame lies is where I think we disagree. This team is majorly lacking in the speed/talent dept. IMHO We're about to find out if Rick Smith is part of the solution or if he's part of the problem. (It's about time.)

Casey was a contributor here. He wasn't a failed pick. The failing was the FO not finding a better player to supplant him. Also, notice how we wait until our guys leave in FA before we move to replace them. Meanwhile teams like BAL, SF, & NE are replacing their guys a year or two in advance.

Example, Arthur Jones was a very good player for Baltimore and he just signed a big FA deal with the Colts. What are they going to do? Oh right, they drafted Brandon Williams last year, who will step in at NT while Ngata moves back to DE.

Another example, Brandon Spikes was the starting MLB for New England and they weren't planning on re-signing him. What are they going to do? They drafted Jamie Collins in the 2nd round last year and he's now their starting SLB and Dont'a Hightower is moving to MLB to replace Spikes.

These teams have vision and a plan. They act in advance to always stay ahead. Meanwhile the Texans are just treading water trying not to drown.

Now there is a very legitimate observation/criticism. I think that is much of what the Texans were attempting last draft but it hasn't panned out yet. Even not drafting any better, that approach gives teams two shots at solving a potential loss/upgrading a position. Plus it lets these picks mature for a year physically and with the system and speed.

2-14 Do the Texans not suck at this point and time? Where the blame lies is where I think we disagree. This team is majorly lacking in the speed/talent dept. IMHO We're about to find out if Rick Smith is part of the solution or if he's part of the problem. (It's about time.)

You think 2-14 is some kind of garlic/talisman to ward off anyone who doesn't agree with your "the Texans suck across the board" narrative. Sorry but there is often lots of talent on teams with cruddy records. 2-14 is an initial starting point for me, not the end of the analysis.

Repped

This just about sums up the Texans org since their inception.

Hopefully things change soon.

I hear you. I wish we would stay ahead, but first we gotta get caught up to stay ahead. We got close, but failed, now we fell behind again and have too many holes to start taking another shot at the depth drafting strategy.

Soon though...

I made a very simple observation to you. And I neither said nor think Casey is good. I said if you consider him a failed pick you need to reconsider your evaluation.

I guess I took it the wrong way. I don't remember it reading that way when I initially read it, I thought I read something different that seemed more belittling and attacking, but fair enough, I hear what you're saying.

Now there is a very legitimate observation/criticism. I think that is much of what the Texans were attempting last draft but it hasn't panned out yet. Even not drafting any better, that approach gives teams two shots at solving a potential loss/upgrading a position. Plus it lets these picks mature for a year physically and with the system and speed.

The Texans may have tried last year, but they still fell back into their same habits. Look back at our draft last year.

We were basically forced into taking a WR in the 1st round because we relied on Walter/Jones so long and never tried to upgrade them (same reason we were forced into taking Mercilus). We never built up depth until the very end (Posey & Martin) but it was too late at that point. Posey can't stay healthy and Martin was yet another horrible decision. We also let Jean hang around way too long.

We took Swearinger as a replacement for Manning in the 2nd round, which was a smart move. But we let Glover Quin walk and replaced him with Reed/Keo, which was one of the stupidest moves of the year for any FO.

We needed help at RT so we drafted a guy coming off injury, who promptly got hurt and missed the season. We also wasted our other 3rd rounder on a low-character guy who didn't have any schematic fit in the defense.

We used our 4th rounder on an undersized pass rusher, albeit one with a lot of potential.

We finally addressed the interior O-Line in the 6th round, but by bad luck he missed the season because of injury. Another 'Texans' pick with Bonner in the 6th. Why did we need another developmental WR again? Great picks by taking Jones and Griffin late in the 6th, except we let Jones go during training camp and he ended up starting for 2 different teams last year. Griffin is set to start this year because we cut our starting TE because of cap issues.

So while the Texans certainly tried last year, they still can't get out of their own way. Look at the Ravens draft last year, 4-5 of those guys will be starters this year. Patriots? Looking at 4 of those guys starting.

The Texans may have tried last year, but they still fell back into their same habits. Look back at our draft last year.

We were basically forced into taking a WR in the 1st round because we relied on Walter/Jones so long and never tried to upgrade them (same reason we were forced into taking Mercilus). We never built up depth until the very end (Posey & Martin) but it was too late at that point. Posey can't stay healthy and Martin was yet another horrible decision. We also let Jean hang around way too long.

We took Swearinger as a replacement for Manning in the 2nd round, which was a smart move. But we let Glover Quin walk and replaced him with Reed/Keo, which was one of the stupidest moves of the year for any FO.

We needed help at RT so we drafted a guy coming off injury, who promptly got hurt and missed the season. We also wasted our other 3rd rounder on a low-character guy who didn't have any schematic fit in the defense.

We used our 4th rounder on an undersized pass rusher, albeit one with a lot of potential.

We finally addressed the interior O-Line in the 6th round, but by bad luck he missed the season because of injury. Another 'Texans' pick with Bonner in the 6th. Why did we need another developmental WR again? Great picks by taking Jones and Griffin late in the 6th, except we let Jones go during training camp and he ended up starting for 2 different teams last year. Griffin is set to start this year because we cut our starting TE because of cap issues.

So while the Texans certainly tried last year, they still can't get out of their own way. Look at the Ravens draft last year, 4-5 of those guys will be starters this year. Patriots? Looking at 4 of those guys starting.

This is a snapshot of a reason a team goes 2-14 and another team/teams seemingly finish at the top on a good yr and have a chance until late in the season on a bad yr.

I don't know if Rick/Gary/Scouting dept don't put the work in or whose fault last seasons calamity was. I've got my suspicions, but we will know come this time next yr starting with the draft this yr. I expect the Texans org to do well in this yrs draft. It's much easier picking 1-1 vs 1-10 or 1-25. Regardless the teams that remain good every yr find a way to get the job done in personnel dept every yr. The Texans have been hit or miss.

Gentlemen, start your engines...

Compensatory draft picks announced: Packers, Steelers, Ravens, 49ers get 3rd-rounders: losses of Jennings, Wallace, Kruger, Goldson.

I have no doubt we had a vision and a plan. Ours just wound up on IR.

ROUND - OVERALL SELECTION - TEAM
3 -33 - 97 - Pittsburgh
3 - 34 - 98 - Green Bay
3 - 35 - 99 - Baltimore
3 - 36 - 100 San Francisco
4 - 33 - 133 Detroit
4 - 34 - 134 Baltimore
4 - 35 - 135 Houston
4 - 36 - 136 Detroit
4 - 37 - 137 New York Jets
4 - 38 - 138 Baltimore
4 - 39 - 139 Atlanta
4 - 40 - 140 New England
5 - 33 - 173 Pittsburgh
5 - 34 - 174 New York Giants
5 - 35 - 175 Baltimore
5 - 36 - 176 Green Bay
6 - 33 - 209 New York Jets
6 - 34 - 210 New York Jets
6 - 35 - 211 Houston
6 - 36 - 212 Cincinnati
6 - 37 - 213 New York Jets
6 - 38 - 214 St. Louis
6 - 39 - 215 Pittsburgh
7 - 33 - 248 Dallas
7 - 34 - 249 St. Louis
7 - 35 - 250 St. Louis
7 - 36 - 251 Dallas
7 - 37 - 252 Cincinnati
7 - 38 - 253 Atlanta
7 - 39 - 254 Dallas
7 - 40 -255 Atlanta
7 - 41 - 256 Houston

If that comp order is correct, which it seems to be, then the mock draft could resume tomorrow morning in this manner...

3(97) - Pittsburgh Steelers (Rock N Randy) ON THE CLOCK: 7:00am - 1:00pm
3(98) - Green Bay Packers (mussop)
3(99) - Baltimore Ravens (htownfan32)
3(100) - San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
4(101) - Houston Texans (TexansFTW)

Before we resume tomorrow, can anyone tell me which pick I got wrong?
I show the Seahawks with Smith DE with pick 64 and the Eagles with Smith DE with pick 86. Is one wrong or are there 2 Smith DE?

Before we resume tomorrow, can anyone tell me which pick I got wrong?
I show the Seahawks with Smith DE with pick 64 and the Eagles with Smith DE with pick 86. Is one wrong or are there 2 Smith DE?

Seahawks have Chris Smith
Eagles have Marcus Smith

It's in the results thread, the one directly below this one.

Maybe we should PM all those involved in the draft to let them know that the draft is starting back up.

I PM'ed Rock N Randy to let him know that Pittsburgh was on the clock. The clock will not officially start until 7:00am tomorrow morning. I'm also extending his deadline by 2 hours because of how sudden we will be restarting. His clock will last from 7:00am - 1:00pm. After the Pittsburgh pick we will be back on the 4 hour clock.

I PM'ed Rock N Randy to let him know that Pittsburgh was on the clock. The clock will not officially start until 7:00am tomorrow morning. I'm also extending his deadline by 2 hours because of how sudden we will be restarting. His clock will last from 7:00am - 1:00pm. After the Pittsburgh pick we will be back on the 4 hour clock.

Thanks WolverineFan!

Sounds good. Thanks alot.

I just wanted to say thanks for the job y'all are doing. This is the best run TT Mock Draft that I've been a part of. (I ran last yrs TT Mock. LOL)

Seahawks have Chris Smith
Eagles have Marcus Smith

It's in the results thread, the one directly below this one.

Thanks. I found it just after I asked the question. I rarely use the threads and simply use the new posts so it wasn't right there in front of me. But as a non participant, this thread is still quite fun. I'll need to add the first name next year to eliminate the confusion. Thanks again.

I need to dodge 4 bullets here (I am thinking only 2 really) to get my guy and I'm pretty happy. Let's do this Rock N Randy, or don't do it is what I mean.

We'll I wanted a corner but my guys I was targeting got snatched up
A lot of depth still at running back and the one center I was considering got snatched and TE can be addressed later

I will go with BPA on my board and fills a semi need with Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders leaving in free agency, Big Ben could use a WR to throw too a Big fast WR at that. steelers signed Lance Moore on the FA market to fill The slot role but they need a big target on the outside

The Pittaburgh Steelers select in the 2014 NFL Draft....

Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson at 6' 5" 200+ Bryant is a huge receiver with good speed to go with that size
He is inconsistent wth his game and his hands need work as he drops a ball or two once in awhile that's why he is a 3rd RD WR and not a 1st RD WR.

Great Redzone threat and Bryant will remind Big Ben a lot of Plaxico Burress

We'll I wanted a corner but my guys I was targeting got snatched up
A lot of depth still at running back and the one center I was considering got snatched and TE can be addressed later

I will go with BPA on my board and fills a semi need with Jerricho Cotchery and Emmanuel Sanders leaving in free agency, Big Ben could use a WR to throw too a Big fast WR at that. steelers signed Lance Moore on the FA market to fill The slot role but they need a big target on the outside

The Pittaburgh Steelers select in the 2014 NFL Draft....

Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson at 6' 5" 200+ Bryant is a huge receiver with good speed to go with that size
He is inconsistent wth his game and his hands need work as he drops a ball or two once in awhile that's why he is a 3rd RD WR and not a 1st RD WR.

Great Redzone threat and Bryant will remind Big Ben a lot of Plaxico Burress

Nice pick. But can he survive the NFL while having the same last name as yours truly? Just another M Bryant.

I have updated the results thread through round 4 which is linked in my signature. It is alot of work so I will do the other rounds as we go. Comp picks have been added.

I have updated the results thread through round 4 which is linked in my signature. It is alot of work so I will do the other rounds as we go. Comp picks have been added.

just FYI, Eagles traded 5th they got from Patriots to Saints for Sproles.

35(99) - Baltimore Ravens (htownfan32) ON THE CLOCK: 9:00am - 1:00pm

36(100) - San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
1(101) - Houston Texans (TexansFTW)
2(102) - Washington Redskins (kiwitexansfan)
3(103) - Atlanta Falcons (JCTexan)
4(104) - New York Jets (steelbtexan)
5(105) - Jacksonville Jaguars (The Pencil Neck)
6(106) - Cleveland Browns (Dutchrudder)

We'll have to tackle the traded picks one round at a time because of how many there are. As far as I can tell, the 4th round only has 3 traded picks.

4 (#4) - New York Jets from Tampa Bay (Darrelle Revis trade)
4 (#14) - Jacksonville from Baltimore (Eugene Monroe trade)
4 (#27) - Cleveland from Indianapolis (2013 draft day trade)

With the final pick in the 3rd round the San Francisco 49ers select...

Trai Turner - OG - LSU - SEC

Entering the draft as a redshirt sophomore, Turner is an athletic run blocker with a very high ceiling. The 49ers could use some depth on the interior O-Line and could also be proactive about replacing Mike Iupati. Iupati will be a FA next year and it's questionable if he will be re-signed as SF must also re-sign QB Colin Kapernick, pass rusher Aldon Smith, and WR Michael Crabtree. Turner is a high upside pick who could replace a departed Iupati or develop as a backup and replace Alex Boone when his contract is up in 2 years.

1(101) Houston Texans (TexansFTW) ON THE CLOCK: 12:30pm - 4:30pm

2(102) Washington Redskins (kiwitexansfan) GET READY
3(103) Atlanta Falcons (JCTexan) GET READY
4(104) New York Jets (steelbtexan) PM'ed
5(105) Jacksonville Jaguars (The Pencil Neck) GET READY
6(106) Cleveland Browns (Dutchrudder) GET READY
7(107) Oakland Raiders (Rock N Randy) GET READY

Back