Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

The Bengals select Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas.

Center is the largest spot of need on the Bengals O-Line. Swanson is a strong prospect who should be able to challenge for the starting sport day 1. This will help buy Dalton more time and give Gio bigger lanes.

Sorry for the delay, was caught up in a work meeting and those last picks moved faster than I expected.

The Bengals select Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas.

Center is the largest spot of need on the Bengals O-Line. Swanson is a strong prospect who should be able to challenge for the starting sport day 1. This will help buy Dalton more time and give Gio bigger lanes.

Sorry for the delay, was caught up in a work meeting and those last picks moved faster than I expected.

Noooooo back at you!!!!!! He was the Giants next pick.

I follow the Eagles relatively closely and I like what you have done. Donald adds nasty depth and versatility to that d-line, Matthews is a solid receiver that should contribute right away, and they needed OLB depth. Good work.

Thanks, took Eagles because I've followed Chip since OC days in Oregon, he has a beautiful football mind. Hope I did him justice? Your positive comments go a long way toward that.

25(89) San Diego Chargers (Texan4Ever) ON THE CLOCK: 3:00pm - 7:00pm

26(90) Indianapolis Colts (Texian)
27(91) New Orleans Saints (Coon)
28(92) Carolina Panthers (Bah007)
29(93) New England Patriots (WolverineFan)
30(94) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
31(95) Denver Broncos (Blake)
32(96) Minnesota Vikings (NCTexan)

With the 87th pick the Kansas City Chiefs select...

Dakota Dozier - OG - Furman - South

Dozier exhibits light feet, a fluid kick-slide, and is a natural bender. Gets good arm extension to keep defenders out of his chest, and utilizes his lower half well to establish leverage on contact and absorb the power rush.. The Chiefs have a huge need at both Guard spots and Dozier is the top OG available here.

Great pick. One of my favorite OG's in the draft. Huge upside.

Haha! Sniped.

I think he's the second best OC in this class, so I was glad he was still on the board here.

He was the pick I PMed to take for the Cardinals.

It was a last minute decision to go with Reynolds as the value was too great.

Seems like about now is definitely his value spot.

He was the pick I PMed to take for the Cardinals.

It was a last minute decision to go with Reynolds as the value was too great.

Seems like about now is definitely his value spot.

The Bengals thank you very much for changing your mind :)

Edit: Also Rep to BL for accurately correcting me.

MSR for WolverineFan for helping run this.

With the 89th pick (3rd round), the Chargers roll the dice on...

Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood

A92RF_fCUAAH2dy.jpg

With my CB for the 3rd round taken (Jaylen Watkins), I gamble on a small-school prospect and hope his intangibles and skills trump all else.

Quick rundown on Desir: Fluid athlete who is built well for a CB and has the height. Solid against the run and can close quickly. With that being said, he needs to be refined and must improve his coverage ability as he struggles with speedier receivers and can struggle to shed blocks in the run game.

With the 90th pick in the 2014 NFL draft the Indianapolis Colts select:

James Gayle, OLB, Va Tech; 6037, 259, 4.68, 26 reps, 37" vertical, Broad 10'2" = "73".

coon has been PM'd.

With the 89th pick (3rd round), the Chargers roll the dice on...

Pierre Desir, CB Lindenwood

With my CB for the 3rd round taken (Jaylen Watkins), I gamble on a small-school prospect and hope his intangibles and skills trump all else.

Quick rundown on Desir: Fluid athlete who is built well for a CB and has the height. Solid against the run and can close quickly. With that being said, he needs to be refined and must improve his coverage ability as he struggles with speedier receivers and can struggle to shed blocks in the run game.

I was very intrigued about Desir going into the post-season all star games because of the hype around him. To be short, I was not very impressed with him at either all star game. His hype seems based completely on potential.

With that said, potential is not a bad thing and Desir certainly has a lot of tools to work with. He's a tall, lanky DB and those guys are getting heavier looks right now as teams try to get longer at CB. However, like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, I like him more as a FS than a CB.

27(91) New Orleans Saints (Coon) ON THE CLOCK: 6:00pm - 8:00am Monday

28(92) Carolina Panthers (Bah007) PM'ed
29(93) New England Patriots (WolverineFan)
30(94) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
31(95) Denver Broncos (Blake)

With the 93rd pick in the mock draft the New England Patriots select...

Joel Bitonio - OG - Nevada - MWC

rendc5-69w8wjcn8ds1dknlu4w5_layout.jpg

The Patriots addressed the interior O-Line with their last selection, but help is still needed. RG Dan Connolly really struggled last year and will be 32 this year. Logan Mankins will also be 32 so the Pats need to get younger here as well as add talent.

Bitonio played LT at Nevada and has the long arms needed to play OT in the NFL. However, I think his body style and his playing style are better suited to the interior. He is not a mauling run blocker, but he is a very good pass protector. This is sorely needed because QB Tom Brady was sacked by interior pressure in less than 2.5 seconds a league leading 10 times.

Together with 2nd round pick Weston Richburg, the Pats interior line will be much better in pass pro and will be able to give Brady more time to get the ball out.

With the 94th pick in the mock draft the San Francisco 49ers select...

Christian Jones - ILB - Florida State - ACC

Christian+Jones+ACC+Championship+Florida+State+Jj6EQ31OQc1l.jpg

This pick may seem odd because the 49ers have two of the best ILB's in the game in Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. However, Bowman is likely to start the season on the PUP list because of the torn ACL he suffered at the end of last season. This is an issue because ILB is the heart of the 49ers defense and they do not have great depth there to replace him.

In steps Jones, who is great in coverage and is a very good blitzer. He should be a great fit here to fill-in for the injured Bowman, who is the Nickel LB for SF and does a ton of blitzing. Jones also has the versatility to play OLB in certain sub packages and can carve out a role as a rotational defender and special teams player once Bowman is healthy. His versatility gives him the edge over the other available prospects here because he can do so many other things once Bowman is back in the fold.

Update...

25(89) San Diego Chargers - Pierre Desir - CB - Lindenwood
26(90) Indianapolis Colts - James Gayle - OLB - Virginia Tech
27(91) New Orleans Saints - Trevor Reilly - OLB - Utah
28(92) Carolina Panthers - Lamin Barrow - OLB - LSU
29(93) New England Patriots - Joel Bitonio - OG - Nevada
30(94) San Francisco 49ers - Christian Jones - ILB - Florida State

31(95) Denver Broncos (Blake) ON THE CLOCK

If you're using the old CBS Sports big board (I don't know if he's moved up recently), that's actually a reach. Chris Borland and Yawin Smallwood are more highly rated.

But... like I said... it all depends on which board you're looking at.

I have Borland rated higher than Jones, but his skill set didn't fit what I was looking for here. The pick came down to Jones and Smallwood and I chose Jones because of versatility. He's not going to replace Bowman long term, so he needs to be able to do other things as well. Jones can play ILB and OLB, can rush the passer, good in coverage, and is a great athlete who could contribute on special teams.

I just think Jones is a special player and think he transitions well to the NFL game because of his versatility. Perfect for the Texans IMO.

I don't think we've ever moved through three rounds this quickly before. Everybody is doing a fantastic job.

With the 94th pick in the mock draft the San Francisco 49ers select...

Christian Jones - ILB - Florida State - ACC

Christian+Jones+ACC+Championship+Florida+State+Jj6EQ31OQc1l.jpg

This pick may seem odd because the 49ers have two of the best ILB's in the game in Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman. However, Bowman is likely to start the season on the PUP list because of the torn ACL he suffered at the end of last season. This is an issue because ILB is the heart of the 49ers defense and they do not have great depth there to replace him.

In steps Jones, who is great in coverage and is a very good blitzer. He should be a great fit here to fill-in for the injured Bowman, who is the Nickel LB for SF and does a ton of blitzing. Jones also has the versatility to play OLB in certain sub packages and can carve out a role as a rotational defender and special teams player once Bowman is healthy. His versatility gives him the edge over the other available prospects here because he can do so many other things once Bowman is back in the fold.
Great pick. Was at the top of my list of remaining players

I just think Jones is a special player and think he transitions well to the NFL game because of his versatility. Perfect for the Texans IMO.

Yep

I've mocked him to the Texans in one of my Mocks.

He could also become a versatile player that will fill a pass rushing need. You can never have too many Christian Jones' on your team.

I have Borland rated higher than Jones, but his skill set didn't fit what I was looking for here. The pick came down to Jones and Smallwood and I chose Jones because of versatility. He's not going to replace Bowman long term, so he needs to be able to do other things as well. Jones can play ILB and OLB, can rush the passer, good in coverage, and is a great athlete who could contribute on special teams.

Jones is so much better than Smallwood. IMHO

He was ranked very high (top 8) on my board overall when I picked. Surprised he hasn't gone yet. Thought very hard about taking him for Miami with their LB problems, but I have a fondness for O-line building.

Hey guys,

I need to double check my draft board tomorrow when I get home and have my laptop. I'll have it in ASAP tomorrow.

Hey guys,

I need to double check my draft board tomorrow when I get home and have my laptop. I'll have it in ASAP tomorrow.

Don't sweat it man. You're the last pick for the time being as we are on hiatus until after the comp picks are announced next week. You've got plenty of time.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

That's fine. We're taking a break until the compensatory picks are announced, right? So there's no real rush to get this pick in.

At this point, looking at my board (and not knowing how NCTexan is going to go)...

There's still a lot of good talent out there for the Texans.

That's fine. We're taking a break until the compensatory picks are announced, right? So there's no real rush to get this pick in.

At this point, looking at my board (and not knowing how NCTexan is going to go)...

There's still a lot of good talent out there for the Texans.

Yeah, no rush.

Tons of talent on the board right now. This would be a good time for Dutch to come in with graphs on positions and conferences.

I was very intrigued about Desir going into the post-season all star games because of the hype around him. To be short, I was not very impressed with him at either all star game. His hype seems based completely on potential.

With that said, potential is not a bad thing and Desir certainly has a lot of tools to work with. He's a tall, lanky DB and those guys are getting heavier looks right now as teams try to get longer at CB. However, like Stanley Jean-Baptiste, I like him more as a FS than a CB.

I agree which is why I would use him as a developmental player before thrusting him into a starting role or try him out at FS and move him to CB. I should've taken CB earlier than now as the talent pool is shrinking.

I hate you both.

The Denver a Broncos select:

Cameron Fleming - OT - Stanford

I've had that happen a lot in this mock so I know just what you mean!

When will results be posted in that thread.? It's hard to keep up with the selections

Vikings select Craig Loston, S, LSU. Not sure how he fell this far, but he'd be great to pair with Harrison Smith and Xavier Rhodes.

My #54 and #64 players are both still on the board after three rounds.

Tough choice but New England has had my favorite draft so far.

- Picked up Jernigan way down at #29. He's a great value and great fit for their defense.

- Richburg is great value at #62. Easily the top C in this class and fills a big time need.

- Bitonio at #93 is awesome too. He has LT potential but could also fill a hole at LG.

With the 93rd pick in the mock draft the New England Patriots select...

Joel Bitonio - OG - Nevada - MWC

rendc5-69w8wjcn8ds1dknlu4w5_layout.jpg

The Patriots addressed the interior O-Line with their last selection, but help is still needed. RG Dan Connolly really struggled last year and will be 32 this year. Logan Mankins will also be 32 so the Pats need to get younger here as well as add talent.

Bitonio played LT at Nevada and has the long arms needed to play OT in the NFL. However, I think his body style and his playing style are better suited to the interior. He is not a mauling run blocker, but he is a very good pass protector. This is sorely needed because QB Tom Brady was sacked by interior pressure in less than 2.5 seconds a league leading 10 times.

Together with 2nd round pick Weston Richburg, the Pats interior line will be much better in pass pro and will be able to give Brady more time to get the ball out.

You rat bastard. Now I don't even know who to address at the Tackle position, I might have to go a different direction entirely now. He WAS gonna play tackle for me!

My #54 and #64 players are both still on the board after three rounds.

Tough choice but New England has had my favorite draft so far.

- Picked up Jernigan way down at #29. He's a great value and great fit for their defense.

- Richburg is great value at #62. Easily the top C in this class and fills a big time need.

- Bitonio at #93 is awesome too. He has LT potential but could also fill a hole at LG.

What's funny is that Nix was my top target in round 1 as I expected Jernigan and Donald to be gone. I was ecstatic when Jernigan fell that far.

Richgurg wasn't even on my board for round 2 because I thought he would be long gone.

The guy I was targeting in round 3 got taken ahead of me and Bitonio was my fall back option. I'm surprised he was even still available.

What's funny is that Nix was my top target in round 1 as I expected Jernigan and Donald to be gone. I was ecstatic when Jernigan fell that far.

Richgurg wasn't even on my board for round 2 because I thought he would be long gone.

The guy I was targeting in round 3 got taken ahead of me and Bitonio was my fall back option. I'm surprised he was even still available.

Great draft, all of the players could become starters next yr.

I am very happy that everybody is committed to doing this Mock Draft. This is the smoothest the annual TT Mock Draft has ever gone. Thanks guys

What an amazing job so far by everyone this week. 3 rounds in 5 days.

Once comp picks are announced they will be updated on the RESULTS thread and we can start back up (Same 4 hour clock). And as a reminder, on Monday I will no longer be moderating this thing during the work day. Dutch and WolverineFan (who have been doing a fantastic job) and maybe a couple others will be doing it all.

Back