Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

Proxy pick for The Pencil Neck via PM.

The Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Eastern Illinois - FCS (Ohio Valley)

Being a Seminole fan I was wondering what your assessment of my Terrence Brooks pick is? What do you think of him as a player?

This is what I said back in November:

Terrance Brooks is kind of up and down. He flashes great ability, but then has another play where he just looks bad, both in pass defense and run defense. I've seen him man up on slot guys and shut them down for a full game. I've seen him stop the run consistently during games. I've also seen him misjudge multiple balls within a game, or miss "must make" tackles, and you almost wish he'd get taken out. He's a great athlete for a 5th rounder, so it's taking a shot a little bit.

Looking back on it, he was a lot more consistent in his last year. He probably suffers a bit from having too much tape, and that's part of the reason I had him rated so low. I also didn't expect him to do so well at the combine. He fits the new school safety well. I like the pick and player.

I'm at the dentist, but the Browns will take Carlos Hyde - RB - Ohio State here. The reasoning should be obvious. Big downhill, one-cut runner that should fit the Shanahan offense. I don't trust Ben Tate for a season, and his deal is cheap if he needs to be cut next year.

08(72) Minnesota Vikings (NCTexan) ON THE CLOCK: 3:20pm - 7:20pm

09(73) Buffalo Bills (Blake) GET READY
10(74) New York Giants (mussop) GET READY
11(75) St. Louis Rams (RT22) GET READY
12(76) Detroit Lions (steelbtexan) PM'ed

Vikings select Zach Mettenberger, QB, LSU.

We hope to let him sit a year to learn, and then take over in 2015. If he rehabs fast and looks even better then he can start later in the season. The run game and upgraded pass catchers should serve him well. We expect him to take big leaps in his development and didn't want to risk him being taken before the 4th round.

Here's another player I have a really hard time judging where he'll go in the actual draft. What does everyone else think?

I'm at the dentist, but the Browns will take Carlos Hyde - RB - Ohio State here. The reasoning should be obvious. Big downhill, one-cut runner that should fit the Shanahan offense. I don't trust Ben Tate for a season, and his deal is cheap if he needs to be cut next year.

Spit into the cup please

09(73) Buffalo Bills (Blake) ON THE CLOCK: 3:30pm - 7:30pm

10(74) New York Giants (mussop) GET READY
11(75) St. Louis Rams (RT22) GET READY
13(77) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan) GET READY
14(78) Dallas Cowboys (Thetexanator) GET READY

Proxy pick for The Pencil Neck via PM.

The Jacksonville Jaguars select...

Jimmy Garoppolo - QB - Eastern Illinois - FCS (Ohio Valley)

This guy comes in and can either sit behind Henne for a year or if he picks up the offense, he could start some time this season.

I really didn't expect him to fall to me here. I had been targeting Carr in the previous round but that didn't work out. My fallback here was a RB to replace MJD.

Blake and the Buffalo Bills select:

Cyril Richardson - OG - Baylor

Road grader. Trouble with speed rushers, but at guard will have help. He can open holes for Spiller, and help protect EJ Manuel.

I'm curious how people have Purifoy rated. I've seen him as low as a 4th or even 5th rounder but as high as a 2nd rounder.

This is probably the guy who's got the most bizarre and disparate ranking in the draft. Walter Football says he could go as high as 1. But then other places have him ranked down in the nether regions of the draft.

I tend to have different grades than most because I use my own board.

I have a board of 300 prospects that I have been wasting pointless hours on for months. My wife will probably threaten to leave me and then after the draft is over we will magically become a happy couple again. Ah, such is the life of a free agent GM...

Yeah, my wife doesn't enjoy TT Mock draft season either.

This guy comes in and can either sit behind Henne for a year or if he picks up the offense, he could start some time this season.

I really didn't expect him to fall to me here. I had been targeting Carr in the previous round but that didn't work out. My fallback here was a RB to replace MJD.

It appears we had very similar plans. I was hoping Garropolo would fall past you here. Mettenberger works here for me too though.

It appears we had very similar plans. I was hoping Garropolo would fall past you here. Mettenberg works here for me too though.

Mettenberger is a big, old question mark. I wanted to come out of these three rounds with a QB but it just didn't work out in rounds 1 and 2.

I was considering other QBs if Garoppolo was gone but I ended up not liking any of them at this spot. In the "real" draft, I would have ended up taking a flyer on whoever was left in the 4th round.

I tend to have different grades than most because I use my own board.

I have a board of 300 prospects that I have been wasting pointless hours on for months. My wife will probably threaten to leave me and then after the draft is over we will magically become a happy couple again. Ah, such is the life of a free agent GM...

lol, good stuff. Your info is great. Don't stop it for her...we need you.

Gonna be offline for a while.

Dont forget, PM your top X to Dutchrudder, WolverineFan and Blake. Lets keep this thing moving!

10(74) New York Giants (mussop) ON THE CLOCK 3:30
11(75) St. Louis Rams (RT22)
12(76) Detroit Lions (steelbtexan)
13(77) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan)
14(78) Dallas Cowboys (Thetexanator)

Love the Jags pick

Garoppollo is one of my top QBs with Bortles Carr then Garoppollo

His release and pocket presence are NFL par already
Love his release and throwing motion

I have Purifoy 3rd RD grade

His stock has sure fallen with his inconsistent acne and soft play for a person of his size and pedigree

But his frame and his first 2 years in Gainesville FL should get him drafted around the 3rd RD

He coasted his junior and senior season and he didn't grade out well considering the expectations but the potential is there and I would take him in the 3rd depending on the board

IMO. Best RB in the draft. I have a pride bet w/ someone I think on him. Even in the lesser part of a timeshare role (until Tate goes down) this guy will be more effective than Sankey.

Hell yeah Harvard.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Loucheiz Purifoy - CB - Florida

L+Damian+Washington+Loucheiz+Purifoy+Missouri+dkSHlZ2Q-n6l.jpg

Long corner who is versatile enough to play the nickel and some safety. He is an excellent blitzer and special teams player. He's inconsistent, especially in his technique, but the Bucs don't need him to start right away (signed Verner and have Jonathan Banks from last year). They can use him at the nickel spot, which is a need of theirs. He's got some concerns that have a lot of people downgrading him, but he has also shown flashes of greatness. High risk/high reward with a chance to contribute right away in the nickel and all four special teams groups.

I think he is good value here. I've scouted Roberson more than Purifoy.

IMO. Best RB in the draft. I have a pride bet w/ someone I think on him. Even in the lesser part of a timeshare role (until Tate goes down) this guy will be more effective than Sankey.

I was hoping beyond hope he'd fall somehow to the 3rd round. I wanted him for Miami. Miller/Thomas aren't cutting it and Hyde would rejuvenate the running attack.

11(75) St. Louis Rams (RT22) ON THE CLOCK: 5pm - 9pm

13(77) San Francisco 49ers (WolverineFan) READY
14(78) Dallas Cowboys (Thetexanator) GET READY
15(79) Baltimore Ravens (htownfan32) GET READY
16(80) New York Jets (?)

I would like to change that to *Ka'Deem Carey RB Arizona

If he hasn't been picked and no one has a problem with that.

Alrighty, here's my writeup on the Browns first 3rd round pick. (OLD PICK)

With the 71st pick in the 2014 TT Mock Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected Carlos Hyde - RB - Ohio State

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://media.naplesnews.com/media/img/photos/2013/07/22/0805_NCSP_CarlosHyde36_t607.JPG[/IMG]

Highlights! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLHW_fZ_tF4

The Browns need some help on offense this year. They got Bortles in the 1st and Beckham in the late 1st, but they need a consistent run game to help out the new QB. Hyde is a one-cut type of runner, who ought to plug into the Shanahan offense quite smoothly. I expect Tate to be gone next year or on IR, so Hyde will fill his role when the time comes.

Hyde isn't perfect (off field issues aside), his goal-to-go game leaves something to be desired, but I love his playing style. He's a big bodied RB who plays like it. He finds the holes in the line, and bursts through them with ease. He navigates traffic very well, hits opponents like a mack truck, and always pushes the ball forward through the whistle. His yards after contact are the best of this class, and I think it's easy to see why when you watch him play. He's tough to take down, and even when he's going down, he still pushes forward for extra yards. I don't expect Hyde to break a lot of 20+ yard runs, but I do expect him to get a lot of 4-7 yard runs on 1st or 2nd downs. I think he will do well in Cleveland, and I think he fits the new offense perfectly.

I actually thought about taking Hyde at #35, but there are a lot of good runningbacks that I thought would be available in the 3rd. I don't think Hyde would have lasted much beyond this pick, so I had to take him here. I think Jeremy Hill could be a good similar type RB, but I'm not as high on him as Hyde. Plus the Ohio connection is always nice to have. :)

I would like to change that to *Ka'Deem Carey RB Arizona

If he hasn't been picked and no one has a problem with that.

I edited your post. Carey is still available, so feel free to take him. You shouldn't be in a rush when you have so much time left on your pick. It's no problem to take 10 minutes to figure it out if you want to. (that goes for everyone)

Alrighty, here's my writeup on the Browns first 3rd round pick. (OLD PICK)

With the 71st pick in the 2014 TT Mock Draft, the Cleveland Browns selected Carlos Hyde - RB - Ohio State

He reminds me of Tate. Doesn't have the same long speed, but he's more physical running downhill.

I edited your post. Carey is still available, so feel free to take him. You shouldn't be in a rush when you have so much time left on your pick. It's no problem to take 10 minutes to figure it out if you want to. (that goes for everyone)

Thank you.

He reminds me of Tate. Doesn't have the same long speed, but he's more physical running downhill.

I love your presumption that Tate will be on IR next year.

Remember, he is an elite back when healthy......

I had him targeted before they signed Tate, and definitely would have taken him at #35 if Tate didn't sign. However, there is less need at that position with Tate under contract, so I let him slip.

I do think Tate will wind up on IR next year. He will never been able to carry the load of a #1 RB IMO. I thought the Raiders might take Hyde before my pick due to McFadden being the same way as Tate. But they didn't, so I had to pounce on him.

The San Francisco 49ers select...

Deone Bucannon - SS - Washington State - PAC-12

Deone.gif

I cannot believe this beast is still on the board. I have him rated as my #2 Safety in the draft (behind Clinton-Dix) and the #1 SS. I grade him as a late first-rounder so I think he's an absolute steal here. I was on the verge of taking him with both of my 2nd round picks, but I resisted the temptation because SF really needed a CB and a WR. I can't pass any longer.

Bucannon goes 6-1, 211 lbs and has the long arms that SF wants in their DB's. He ran a sub 4.5-forty at the Combine and has top notch athleticism for the position. He doesn't have elite range, but his range is top notch for a SS. He can cover RB's and TE's and can obviously come up and make a hit. He's the total package as an in-the-box Safety and a perfect fit for the 49ers defense.

Proxy pick for steelbtexan via PM.

The Detroit Lions select...

Paul Richardson - WR - Colorado - PAC-12

I like this selection a lot. Fast guy and Matt Stafford can certainly deliver a strike in stride to him. Question is how much playing time will he get? Behind Megatron, Ryan Broyles, and Golden Tate...

The San Francisco 49ers select...

Deone Bucannon - SS - Washington State - PAC-12

Deone.gif

I cannot believe this beast is still on the board. I have him rated as my #2 Safety in the draft (behind Clinton-Dix) and the #1 SS. I grade him as a late first-rounder so I think he's an absolute steal here. I was on the verge of taking him with both of my 2nd round picks, but I resisted the temptation because SF really needed a CB and a WR. I can't pass any longer.

Bucannon goes 6-1, 211 lbs and has the long arms that SF wants in their DB's. He ran a sub 4.5-forty at the Combine and has top notch athleticism for the position. He doesn't have elite range, but his range is top notch for a SS. He can cover RB's and TE's and can obviously come up and make a hit. He's the total package as an in-the-box Safety and a perfect fit for the 49ers defense.

Dangit. Stole my guy :polevault:

14(78) Dallas Cowboys (Thetexanator) ON THE CLOCK: 6:00pm - 8:00am

15(79) Baltimore Ravens (htownfan32)
16(80) New York Jets (?)
17(81) Miami Dolphins (htownfan32)
18(82) Chicago Bears (steelbtexan)
19(83) Cleveland Browns (Dutchrudder)

*The Jets pick will either be A) a group pick or B) we can assign them to a new GM. If you'd like to be the new Jets GM then send Blake, Dutch, or myself a PM.

Deone Bucannon - SS - Washington State

I was taking him next for Pitt or Oakland next

I like him as a potential player, can grown into something special

Just an FYI guys, this year I'm keeping tabs on who flakes out and doesn't show up for picks. You will not be given a team next year if you make the blacklist.

Back