Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 Houston Cougars Thread

So, BCS people think that Coogs schedule is too weak. Even, we play basketball instead of football against opponents.

Go Coogs!!!

So, BCS people think that Coogs schedule is too weak. Even, we play basketball instead of football against opponents.

Go Coogs!!!

I think they are right about where they should be.... The next 3 games will tell us all we need to know about the Coogs.

The computer polls are where we aren't getting a bump yet. We have played bad teams for the past month. The next 3 games will give us a bump in the computer polls.

Anyone possibly setting up a tailgate or know of a tailgate that allow other people to come for the SMU game?

I'm down to BYOB or pitch in as well

11th if I heard the right poll. They tucked Boise St conveniently in front of us and Houston remained where they were. Maybe the Tulsa game will get them there they really need to be.

I hope so.

Tulsa may be ranked at the end of this week and if SMU and Tulsa don't bump us up, a potential top 15 or top 20 win over Southern Miss will. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's take care of SMU and Tulsa first, Tulsa's going to be a tougher game then most may think.

Tulsa may be ranked at the end of this week and if SMU and Tulsa don't bump us up, a potential top 15 or top 20 win over Southern Miss will. Let's not get ahead of ourselves, let's take care of SMU and Tulsa first, Tulsa's going to be a tougher game then most may think.

i dunno they way the cougars have been playing all season i have no doubt the could win against any ranked opponent this season.

UH can't get wrapped up in the what ifs. If they don't take it one game at a time they could drop one.

SMU beat TCU earlier this year and I imagine they will come to play. They got caught last week by Navy and I think it might be because they were looking ahead to this game.

Tulsa is the one I'm scared about. The only teams they have lost to are Boise St, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St.

With all that said though, I like Houston's chances. As long as they keep Keenum on his feet they can score with anybody.

Will the game be on national T.V.?

Fox Sports Network at 2:30 P.M.
Channel 26

SMU Injury Update: Mustangs Won't Have Star RB Against Houston
SMU's chances of spoiling their old Southwest Conference rival Houston's undefeated season took a devastating blow today when it was announced that Zach Line, their star RB, will be out of the season with a toe injury.

Line, a 6'1 230 RB, had averaged 5.9 yards per carry while rushing for 1,224 yards and 17 TD's this season.

Using Line to control the clock and keep Case Keenum off the field would have been crucial for the Mustangs, as they have struggled against spread offenses similar to Kevin Sumlin's this season. They gave up 46 points to Texas A&M and 38 to Tulsa.

Coogs favored by 20.5

Fox Sports Network at 2:30 P.M.
Channel 26

SMU Injury Update: Mustangs Won't Have Star RB Against Houston
SMU's chances of spoiling their old Southwest Conference rival Houston's undefeated season took a devastating blow today when it was announced that Zach Line, their star RB, will be out of the season with a toe injury.

Line, a 6'1 230 RB, had averaged 5.9 yards per carry while rushing for 1,224 yards and 17 TD's this season.

Using Line to control the clock and keep Case Keenum off the field would have been crucial for the Mustangs, as they have struggled against spread offenses similar to Kevin Sumlin's this season. They gave up 46 points to Texas A&M and 38 to Tulsa.

Coogs favored by 20.5
Thank you.

Welp. I think with Line out for SMU this is going to drop the Coogs down in terms of "Who have they beaten" type questions. IF we win out we may get somewhere near the top 5 but I kind of doubt it.

I really do hope that we get a bowl that is better than the Liberty bowl this year if we win out.

Welp. I think with Line out for SMU this is going to drop the Coogs down in terms of "Who have they beaten" type questions. IF we win out we may get somewhere near the top 5 but I kind of doubt it.

I really do hope that we get a bowl that is better than the Liberty bowl this year if we win out.

If we win out, we will be conf champ.

TCU needs to lose both games (against trashes) for Boise to have a chance to win the MWC.

The Big East won't have any team that will be ranked higher than us (right now none of them are in the top 25.

We get a BCS berth unless I read the rule wrong?

If we win out, we will be conf champ.

TCU needs to lose both games (against trashes) for Boise to have a chance to win the MWC.

The Big East won't have any team that will be ranked higher than us (right now none of them are in the top 25.

We get a BCS berth unless I read the rule wrong?

yep, win out we're in the BCS in some shape or form.

About to leave for Houston, wearing my Coogs gear!! Stopped for a sec packing the truck to watch Gameday in the H!

Glad to see them on TV!

GO COOGS!!!

They better move inside the top ten or it would be ridiculous.

They should i mean they had a convincing win against a pretty good team. SMU has the 33rd ranked defense in the nation so to beat them 37-7 is saying something.

A good game for the defense tonight.

I still have my voice but my head is killing me.

Hell yes! Oregon and Clemson lose. You have Stanford and OU losing and if they both lose UH has to move up into the top 6-7.

Yesterday was fun and I am happy we got the win. SMU had a pretty salty defense, but all that dirty **** they were pulling gets really old after a while. I am glad our players kept their cool and didn't pick up any stupid penalities. This could be the week UH moves into the top 10 for the first time since Sept 1991.

Yesterday was fun and I am happy we got the win. SMU had a pretty salty defense, but all that dirty **** they were pulling gets really old after a while. I am glad our players kept their cool and didn't pick up any stupid penalities. This could be the week UH moves into the top 10 for the first time since Sept 1991.

I thought so too. I also had the thought that June Jones had more time on the field than Houston's offense. :scarygirl:

What about #93's epic acting job in the first half. He was acting like he had been shot in the leg and he goes to the sidelines for all of 3 plays. SMU has been pulling that **** since June Jones got there and he still hasn't beat UH yet.

So what is the best the cougars can do if they win out and teams above them lose out. Someone told me they are in a non BCS conference so they can never play for a championship, is this true.

So what is the best the cougars can do if they win out and teams above them lose out. Someone told me they are in a non BCS conference so they can never play for a championship, is this true.

BCS bowl is worst case senario if we win out, but NC game would need everyone to lose 2-3 games lol so basically no to that thought.

Coogs are #7 this morning in the coach's poll. BCS standings come out later tonight.

IF the Coogs win at Tulsa Friday and then IF they beat So. Miss. in the CUSA Championship game, they would play in either the Sugar or the Orange Bowl.

Orange Bowl reps were at UH over the weekend.

The Tulsa game will be very very hard.

Go Coogs!!!!!!!!!!!

Coogs are #7 this morning in the coach's poll. BCS standings come out later tonight.

IF the Coogs win at Tulsa Friday and then IF they beat So. Miss. in the CUSA Championship game, they would play in either the Sugar or the Orange Bowl.

Orange Bowl reps were at UH over the weekend.

The Tulsa game will be very very hard.

Go Coogs!!!!!!!!!!!

As the lone un-defeated team not named LSU .... they have a legit claim at the BCS championship game (Should they win out).

All the teams above the Cougars in the BCS standings won't "lose out". There's really no realistic scenario that would put UH in the BCS championship game. That's because of their soft schedule, more than anything else. Conference USA isn't strong, but a non conference lineup of UCLA, North Texas, La Tech, and small school Georgia Southern didn't help.

Any BCS game would be great for the school. Right now, they're probably looking at the Sugar Bowl. That's assuming the Coogs take care of Tulsa in Tulsa, who has won 12 straight Conference USA games. Likely their toughest game of the year, until they get to the bowl game. The opposite of UH, Tulsa played the toughest non conference schedule in the country (OU, OK State, Boise State). Ironic situation in that Tulsa will actually lose money if they knock off Houston and spoil the BCS bowl payday.

Regarding the SMU game, it should be noted that the Coog defense has improved greatly over the course of the season. That bodes well heading into Tulsa, and then the bowl game. And while I realize Keenum is having one of the greatest seasons ever for a college QB, there were some things that I saw from him Saturday that bothered me. I thought Keenum was too quick to pull down the ball and run in more than a few instances. Pass 40x per game, and you will take some hits no matter the protection. He may be starting to feel some of those. Sumlin might consider getting him out on rollouts more often, though he took his biggest hits outside the pocket against the Ponies.

Any BCS game would be great for the school. Right now, they're probably looking at the Sugar Bowl. That's assuming the Coogs take care of Tulsa in Tulsa, who has won 12 straight Conference USA games. Likely their toughest game of the year, until they get to the bowl game. The opposite of UH, Tulsa played the toughest non conference schedule in the country (OU, OK State, Boise State). Ironic situation in that Tulsa will actually lose money if they knock off Houston and spoil the BCS bowl payday.

I'm nervous about the Tulsa game. Tulsa could easily be undefeated if they had the same schedule as the coogs this year. Plus the UH offense seemed a little flat in the first half (or maybe SMU's defense is for real). I'm just worried that all of the powder puff games before SMU might not be a true indication of how good they really are.

Conference USA does not get a automatic bid for a BCS game, so the odds of us playing in the BCS championship game are 0. It is B.S TBH but what can ya do. if UH moves to the big east next season it will be easier to be ranked and they will be able to easily win the BCS if they go undefeated, but as far as this season goes, thats a big negative.

This is a huge game and it won't be easy but UH has beat them in Tulsa before and I feel much more confident with this defense than I did our defense in 2009. We are also doing a much better job of protecting the football this year and thats extremely important in big games on the road.

Back