Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 Houston Cougars Thread

I was only able to watch first half of the game 21-10 and had to leave. Came back home to see final score and pleased with it 56-13. Congrats to Case. You now have new NCAA career passing yards of 17,212 yards and it is still on progress. Go for over 18,000 yards!!!

Go Coogs!!!

Next up Tulane at the Superdome Thursday night. The Cougars gave up an opening touchdown drive after the offense fumbled on its opening drive tonight. UAB only managed 2 field goals the rest of the game. UH could be in the top 10 for the first time since Sept 1991 tomorrow evening.

How do you guys think Keenum will do the NFL. I know there are big question marks since UH offense style is completely different.

How do you guys think Keenum will do the NFL. I know there are big question marks since UH offense style is completely different.

I will take a really close look at him in the off-season.

Let me just tell you this for now:

The other day, I rewatched the Oregon/UH game in 2007 when Keenum shared time with another QB (Blake Joseph), I counted him (Keenum) under center for 22 snaps and in the shotgun 37 times.

The last few years, the Cougars had gone with more of a shotgun spread look, but they still have formation in which they have 2 (or even 3) backs.
There are some similarities with what they do at Aubrun (Cam Newton).
I want to take a much longer look at those things in the off-season though!

I will take a really close look at him in the off-season.

Let me just tell you this for now:

The other day, I rewatched the Oregon/UH game in 2007 when Keenum shared time with another QB (Blake Joseph), I counted him (Keenum) under center for 22 snaps and in the shotgun 37 times.

The last few years, the Cougars had gone with more of a shotgun spread look, but they still have formation in which they have 2 (or even 3) backs.
There are some similarities with what they do at Aubrun (Cam Newton).
I want to take a much longer look at those things in the off-season though!

Keenum has improved so much since then its amazing. I have never seen a UH QB improve more in his career than Case has. I do think he has gotten much better coaching since Sumlin and his staff came aboard in 2008.

Here is some highlights on 2008. Watch the lack of arm strenght on the one long pass compared to now. He has really gotten better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J47SyoFIP1U

random **** here m just cant stand to see that .... other thread title from the main page

I hate chesters.

I'm going to my Cougar-dad's house and keep him company so my wife can take my mom out to dinner. It's her b-day tomorrow and my dad's health makes it to where he can't take her and shouldn't be left alone.

This way mom get's a night out and I get to go there and watch the game. I don't get the station the game is on. Good times. I just hope my dad doesn't try and con me into food he's not allowd to have. The sneak really tries to do that stuff.

Charles Simms stealing the spotlight from Keenum tonight with 199 rushing yards on 7 carries!

Go Coogs!!!!!!!!!

10-0.

The next two games will be very very tough against SMU at home and Tulsa on the road.

Come on Coogs, keep it going!

Probably not just because they are in Conference USA.

No, that's pretty much it. Because they are in CUSA, they have a crappy strength of schedule. Because they are in CUSA, they don't have to field a defense, for the most part. Because they are in CUSA, they don't have an automatic qualifying bid to the BCS.

Every team ahead of them deserves to be ahead of them, the upcoming week's results notwithstanding.

No, that's pretty much it. Because they are in CUSA, they have a crappy strength of schedule. Because they are in CUSA, they don't have to field a defense, for the most part. Because they are in CUSA, they don't have an automatic qualifying bid to the BCS.

Every team ahead of them deserves to be ahead of them, the upcoming week's results notwithstanding.

I think the only way UH could make it into the top 5 would be some seriously unlikely collapses ahead of them followed by a surprisingly convincing bowl win against whoever they play. Then, following the bowl games they might be 5th.... Maybe.....

Ok, probably not.

I think the only way UH could make it into the top 5 would be some seriously unlikely collapses ahead of them followed by a surprisingly convincing bowl win against whoever they play. Then, following the bowl games they might be 5th.... Maybe.....

Ok, probably not.

If Boise St. loses, LSU and OK St. stay undefeated, and a couple of the one-loss teams ahead of them lose, I could see them jumping into the 7-8 range, max.

Liberty Bowl, here we come.

If I was the commissioner of the Big 12 I would have invited the Cougars into the conference already. No way they can't be the next Oklahoma State with that offense the Cougars have.

The Big 12 commissioner's boss DeLoss Dodds will never allow UH into the Big 12.

The highest-ranked champion of a non-BCS conference will receive an automatic berth if:
It is ranked in the top 12, or
Ranked in the top 16 and higher than at least one BCS conference champion.

Neither the Big East nor the Big Ten has a team that is ranked in the top 10.

The Cougars should receive the AQ berth is the season ends today, assuming that Boise St drops below the Coogs.
We are in the driver seat, if I understand the rules correctly.

EDIT: Thanks SteelB for pointing out that Boise St can't win their conference.
It means the Coogs receive the AQ berth if the season ends today.

There are still some very very tough games ahead for the Cougars. We got to keep it going.

ESPN College Game Day will be at UH this weekend!

There are still some very very tough games ahead for the Cougars. We got to keep it going.

ESPN College Game Day will be at UH this weekend!

Yay I finally get to see a game up here! :dancer:

A couple days ago I actually bumped into another Coogs fan in downtown Seattle, probably high-school age or just out... ended up taking the same bus as me, and we chatted for about 10 minutes or so. Had to do a double-take to make sure I wasn't seeing things. :heh:

It going to be interesting as always.

Pending a Stanford win and all other teams continue to win their respective games, the Top five would remain the same and include the Sooners as their rival Oklahoma State scored style points with their 66-6 win over Texas Tech.

As we speak Oregon is putting the wood to the Stanford Cardinal.

[If I may channel the old Astrodome annoucements I thought were so cool back in the day]

Your attention please.....from Stanford Stadium in Stanford, California.........Oregon 53......Stanford....30. [crowd reacts]

Welp. Boise and Stanford both lost today. Hopefully that means the Coogs can move up a few spots.

God I'm going to be pissed if we drop some game to a dumbass CUSA team now.

No offense and don't take it this way, but aren't you a Longhorn fan? Not saying your bandwagoning or anything, maybe you are just supporting another Texas based team?

Wow. Um, no. Go back through archives. I've been called a Longhorn hater by their butt-hurt Longhorn crowd here (after having said nothing over the course of their 2010 season). I have never been anything but a Cougar fan. Nobody reads post-one on this board I think.

Who started this "Houston Cougars 2011" thread I ask????????

My dad is an alum and took me to all football, basketball, and some UH baseball games. That means SWC dominance when we - yes - we - got there in '76. That means Phi Slamma Jamma courtside. That means being a Coog even though I didn't go there.

10-7 Houston over Texas' holier-than-thou team in '78 in Austin was a sweet memory. A classless Horn fan asked my dad, "you think you are pretty good, don't you?" and my dad said, "yep." causing that Horn fan to want a piece of my dad. He got what was coming. My dad and his brother took care of business, only they were sorry it had to happen in front of us kids. I never felt the same trouble in any other stadium in the SWC.

That story isn't the only Horn problem I had. Houston at Austin, run and shoot still running and shooting. Houston scores again making the game 66-15. The PAT attempt was mishandled and the holder picked it up in a panick. The result was PAT no good. I got hit on my shoulders by two old hags' umbrellas behind me telling me I should be ashamed of myself for rooting for a school that would go for two at 66-15. I tried to explain what really happened and for that I became a target for others abuse. Nothing much happened, but geezus. I went out of my way to be classy throughout the game, only politely rooting when Houston scored (which was every other play) and I didn't deserve that crap.

Me, my dad, and Jim a friend of ours, and my hero at the time, Gary "Moon" Mullins, who was kind enough to autograph this pic.

Moon_Mullens.jpg

Holy crap. Offended, no. Flabbergasted, yes.

Post edited after initial shock of accusation :D

Last edited:
Wow. Um, no. Go back through archives. I've been called a Longhorn hater by their butt-hurt Longhorn crowd here (after having said nothing over the course of their 2010 season). I have never been anything but a Cougar fan. Nobody reads post-one on this board I think.

My dad is an alum and took me to all football, basketball, and some UH baseball games. That means SWC dominance when we - yes - we - got there in '76. That means Phi Slamma Jamma courtside. That means being a Coog even though I didn't go there.

10-7 Houston over Texas' holier-than-thou team in '78 in Austin was a sweet memory. A classless Horn fan asked my dad, "you think you are pretty good, don't you?" and my dad said, "yep." causing that Horn fan to want a piece of my dad. He got what was coming. My dad and his brother took care of business, only they were sorry it had to happen in front of us kids. I never felt the same trouble in any other stadium in the SWC.

That story isn't the only Horn problem I had. Houston at Austin, run and shoot still running and shooting. Houston scores again making the game 66-15. The PAT attempt was mishandled and the holder picked it up in a panick. The result was PAT no good. I got hit on my shoulders by two old hags' umbrellas behind me telling me I should be ashamed of myself for rooting for a school that would go for two at 66-15. I tried to explain what really happened and for that I became a target for others abuse. Nothing much happened, but geezus. I went out of my way to be classy throughout the game, only politely rooting when Houston scored (which was every other play) and I didn't deserve that crap.

Me, my dad, and Jim a friend of ours, and my hero at the time, Gary "Moon" Mullins, who was kind enough to autograph this pic.

Moon_Mullens.jpg

Well I feel like crap now. I didn't even pay attention to who started the thread and I guess I got you mixed up with another forum member. Sorry about that.

Well I feel like crap now. I didn't even pay attention to who started the thread and I guess I got you mixed up with another forum member. Sorry about that.

No reason to worry my friend! As I said in the post I was just a little flabbergasted, but not offended. No worries at all. :)

GO TEXANS AND COOGS!!

Moon_Mullens.jpg

Who's that cute kid again? LOL

If the Coogs deserve a BCS bid they should have to win out. And those are games they should win by 14/17 pts. If they play up to their potential.

Back