Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2011 Houston Cougars Thread

Anyone see the BCS show tonight and where the Coogs rank now? I checked Foxsports.com but must not be updated yet as we are still #11.....

#8 is the highest BSC ranking.

Coogs were ranked #3 in the AP Poll back in 1990.

#8 is the highest BSC ranking.

Coogs were ranked #3 in the AP Poll back in 1990.
That was before the Coogs were routed in Memorial Stadium by the Horns. I was there in the UT student section wearing my Cougar red hoodie. Brutal would be an understatement.

That was before the Coogs were routed in Memorial Stadium by the Horns. I was there in the UT student section wearing my Cougar red hoodie. Brutal would be an understatement.

I was at that game as well. I think the final score was something like 45-24.

If they win out and go win in a BCS bowl that has to be one of the greatest single seasons in UH history right?

I was at that game as well. I think the final score was something like 45-24.
Really, that game was the end of a great era. Jenkins couldn't pull the team together the following season.

If they win out and go win in a BCS bowl that has to be one of the greatest single seasons in UH history right?
Just getting to the BCS bowl would be one of the greatest ever. An amazing achievement in an era where the odds are stacked against the mid-majors. And UH is a mid-major.

Really, that game was the end of a great era. Jenkins couldn't pull the team together the following season.

The dark days of Kim Helton were soon to follow. Kim Helton nearly killed UH football.

And while I realize Keenum is having one of the greatest seasons ever for a college QB, there were some things that I saw from him Saturday that bothered me. I thought Keenum was too quick to pull down the ball and run in more than a few instances. Pass 40x per game, and you will take some hits no matter the protection. He may be starting to feel some of those. Sumlin might consider getting him out on rollouts more often, though he took his biggest hits outside the pocket against the Ponies.

I rewatched the game, and I really don't see Keenum being too quick to pull up and run.

There were a few designed runs and there were other occasions where he knew where the blitz comes from and that the receiver(s) covered.

Cougars finished #4 in 1979 and I think #6 in 1976 so this isn't their best ranking ever. They were #3 before that game in Austin in 1990 and both #1 and #2 lost that day. This is the highest BCS ranking they have had though.

Cougars finished #4 in 1979 and I think #6 in 1976 so this isn't their best ranking ever. They were #3 before that game in Austin in 1990 and both #1 and #2 lost that day. This is the highest BCS ranking they have had though.

Thanks man. You saved me some research because I thought they were ranked higher in the late '70's but didn't have any numbers off the top of my head. :smiliedance:

In refernce to the Jenkins era coming down I think the Miami game the next year (40-10 Miami, I think) was the one that brought the Cougars run and shoot down more than anything.

I looked it up and I was a little off in those rankings.Here is a list of the years UH finished the season ranked and the records in those years.
1966 8-2 #17
1967 7-3 #19
1968 6-2-2 #20
1969 9-2 #16
1970 8-3 #19
1971 9-3 #17
1973 11-1 #13
1974 8-3-1 #19
1976 10-2 #4
1978- 9-3 #11
1979 11-1 #5
1989 9-2 #14
1990 10-1 #12

I looked it up and I was a little off in those rankings.Here is a list of the years UH finished the season ranked and the records in those years.
1966 8-2 #17
1967 7-3 #19
1968 6-2-2 #20
1969 9-2 #16
1970 8-3 #19
1971 9-3 #17
1973 11-1 #13
1974 8-3-1 #19
1976 10-2 #4
1978- 9-3 #11
1979 11-1 #5
1989 9-2 #14
1990 10-1 #12

Yeah, the '78 ranking at #11 was after the coldest day I've ever experienced on so many levels, when Houston played Joe Montana and ND in the Cotton Bowl. Holy crap that was the coldest I've ever been.

I can't wait till Saturday. This weekend is going to be a dream for a football fan.

Saturday: Watch UH punch their Sugar Bowl ticket
Sunday: Watch the Texans vs Falcons

I can't wait till Saturday. This weekend is going to be a dream for a football fan.

Saturday: Watch UH punch their Sugar Bowl ticket
Sunday: Watch the Texans vs Falcons

Yep. My weekend is booked solid with football.

I purchased my season ticket locations Friday. I have not received them in the mail yet.

I purchased my season ticket locations Friday. I have not received them in the mail yet.

I purchased my season ticket location also on Friday but I also bought 5 extra. I was worried how those extras would be allocated so I went out to the ticket office on Sunday morning to pick up my tickets and parking pass.
They could not give me my extra tickets at that time because they were waiting for the 5pm Monday deadline that season ticket holders had to buy their seats. Then on Tuesday, they will let people who bought extra know if they got their seats and the location.

Did you see the pictures of the lines of students picking up their tickets today?

Yeah, I saw the pics. Heard a couple of the players were there passing out donuts to everyone in line.

Yeah, I saw the pics. Heard a couple of the players were there passing out donuts to everyone in line.

Yeah, I saw a pic of Justin Johnson giving out donuts to the students and I heard Michael Hayes was there too.

Also, I sent you a PM about a possible issue with tickets being mailed out. I hope that doesn't affect your tickets.

If I was in Houston, I would be on the line to purchase tickets as well. A perfect season, GOOOOOO CCCCOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGSSS!!!!

Go Coogs!!!

A ticket fell into my lap today, can't friggin wait. I'm tempted to start tailgating tomorrow. It cool enough outside Ill probably never have to freshen up the ice in the beer cooler until after the game.

Picked up my tickets at the basketball game tonight. Its going to be such an awesome atmosphere Saturday. I might be a nervous wreck by the time kickoff rolls around.

Is there any chance at all there is anyone that has two tickets they'd be willing to sell for a reasonable price? As a Cougar alum, I'd love to see this game.

Gametime!!

It's on.

untitled-2.png

Awesome to see it on local TV here in Austin. That stadium is packed! I have been to tons of Cougar games and never seen it like that. I wish I was with my SigEp boys. We used to have a swimming pool at our tailgates. I am sure they are rocking it today.

7-0 So Miss, but Houston has missed two sure TD's plus playing into a strong wind. Not worried.....yet.

May be time to start worrying. I know the Coogs have tended to start slowly but right now they look flat out terrible. Field position is killing them as are dumb penalties and missed opportunities for big plays.

May be time to start worrying. I know the Coogs have tended to start slowly but right now they look flat out terrible. Field position is killing them as are dumb penalties and missed opportunities for big plays.

But the big plays are there. Plus, questionable officiating and I'm being nice about that part. I'm just glad the game is only a quarter old...lol.

14-0 now. Keenum had a really bad play where he took a very bad sack as opposed to throwing it away when he had the chance. Not a good decision which may have led to 7 additional points for So. Miss.

14-0, but coogs in good position for FG/TD now. Looks like the Offense may have finally woken up.

Getting back to that sack against Keenum, I think that's an area where the NFL will chew him up. He simply won't have the options with the big boys he usually does in college.

I still have a lot of faith. The Cougars have played a number of one-half games this year and they're capable of scoring in 10-12 minutes what most teams take all day to put up. They look a little flat today but that can change in an instant (and has more than once)

Back