Waiting til 2018 for a Qb?

Would you want a qb from 2017 or '18

• 2017, we need one now!!!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • 2018, it has our franchise qb and easy to develop

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
Fair enough. Guess I just missed it.

So what fa qbs make the list as possible help this year?

Romo
Cutler
Taylor
Fitz

Am i missing someone?

As much as I want a succession of rookie qbs every couple of years, i also believe a rookie qb drafted this year isnt help till '18. A qb drafted next year is no help till '19.

I dont think ob has that much time. I dont believe our defense's window of dominance will last that long.

In some sick way, ob's attention to the qb position will prove to be as reliable as Mallett's alarm clock. Lil late.

So it's BOB's fault that Ricky McNair doesn't draft QB's?

I agree with you, BOB's time is short here unless Savage stays healthy and is a savior. (Doubtful)

I agree with you, BOB's time is short here unless Savage stays healthy and is a savior. (Doubtful)

Perhaps my wording was more exclusive then it should have been. Ob AND Ricky McNair. I still have no clue how the chain of command works - so yes. At least one of them is culpable and probably both.

When you've drafted just 3 QBs in 10 years, none higher than 4, you don't even really give yourself a chance to find, or "luck" into a QB. That's not a good thing and is squarely on whoever makes that decision.
which first round pick would you have us not have and what QB would we have drafted instead?

Let me help with your analysis....

Our pick: Amobi Okoye picked at #10 overall.
1st rd QBs: Jamarcus Russell #1 overall; Brady Quinn @ #22 overall.
Our pick: Duane Brown at #26 overall.
1st rd QBs: Matt Ryan @ #3; Joe Flacco @ #18 (they got that pick from us for swapping firsts and giving up an extra 3rd and 6th)
Our pick: Brian Cushing @ #18 overall.
1st rd QBs: Matthew Stafford @ #1 overall; Mark Sanchez, #5 overall.
Our pick: Kareem Jackson @ #20 overall.
1st rd QBs: Sam Bradford @ #1 overall; Tim Tebow @ #25 overall.
Our pick: J.J. Watt @ #11 overall.
1st rd QBs: Cam Newton, #1 overall; Jake Locker @ #8, Blaine Gabbert @ #10, Christian Ponder @ #12
Our pick: Whitney Mercilus @ #26 overall.
1st rd QBs: Andrew Luck @ #1; RGIII @ #2; Ryan Tannehill @ #8; Branden Weeden @ #22 (hey, we could have had Weeden :D)
Our pick: DeAndre Hopkins @ #27
1st rd QB: E.J. Manuel @ #16
Our pick: Jadeveon Clowney @ #1 overall.
1st rd QBs: Blake Bortles @#3; Johnny Manziel @ #22
Our pick: Kevin Johnson @ #16
1st rd QBs: Jameis Winston @ #1; Marcus Mariotta @ #2
Our pick: Will Fuller @ #21
1st rd QBs: Jared Goff @ #1; Carson Wentz @ #2; Paxton Lynch @ #26

If you're arguing we should have made a move for Lynch, I'm with you.
Buuuut, McNair had just paid big bucks for Osweiler, sooooo that wasn't going to happen.

Reactions: JB

Yep.

The head coach and coordinators set the "shopping list" for what they need to make their side of the ball work best. In McNair's system the GM is a go-fer.

which first round pick would you have us not have and what QB would we have drafted instead?

1st rd QBs: Matt Ryan @ #3; Joe Flacco @ #18 (they got that pick from us for swapping firsts and giving up an extra 3rd and 6th)
1st rd QBs: Cam Newton, #1 overall; Jake Locker @ #8, Blaine Gabbert @ #10, Christian Ponder @ #12
1st rd QBs: Andrew Luck @ #1; RGIII @ #2; Ryan Tannehill @ #8; Branden Weeden @ #22 (hey, we could have had Weeden :D)

Buuuut, McNair had just paid big bucks for Osweiler, sooooo that wasn't going to happen.

Why focus on first round picks when that's the only pick we ever nail? Let's see a list of 2nd and 3rd round picks who bombed.

Dont mean to argue obi because we generally feel the same about this team ,but i want some kind of investment at qb. I liked jimmy G. I liked dak in the 3rd. I liked carr.

Im not mad they took a shot at oz. Im mad they didnt take more shots.

Yep.

The head coach and coordinators set the "shopping list" for what they need to make their side of the ball work best. In McNair's system the GM is a go-fer.

You know this how? At BOB's end of yr press conference he said Ricky was in charge of the draft/fa. He said it matter of factly, but it gave me some insight into the inner working of the Texans org.

I find it curious that BOB did that. It seems as though since BOB wasn't let go by McNair he's not going to tow the company line this offseason/next yr, since he's being set up for failure anyways. (About time)

Why focus on first round picks when that's the only pick we ever nail? Let's see a list of 2nd and 3rd round picks who bombed.

Dont mean to argue obi because we generally feel the same about this team ,but i want some kind of investment at qb. I liked jimmy G. I liked dak in the 3rd. I liked carr.
Im not mad they took a shot at oz. Im mad they didnt take more shots.
I knew your azz would ask for that.
LoL

And I didn't post it to show that those QB bombed. Hell, the jury is still out on Winston, Mariotta, Lynch, Goff, and Wentz. I included the QBs and where they were picked to show it wouldn't have been cheap to get a really good one and we'd be without an impact starter at another position.

LoL

And I didn't post it to show that those QB bombed. Hell, the jury is still out on Winston, Mariotta, Lynch, Goff, and Wentz. I included the QBs and where they were picked to show it wouldn't have been cheap to get a really good one and we'd be without an impact starter at another position.

The only one in that group you mentioned whom we had a shot at was lynch. And i liked him enough to draft him in the first. After oz though i knew it wasnt gonna happen.

All i ask from this franchise is to put some bullets in the gun at qb. Maybe we miss maybe we hit...but try.

2014, 2-1 Jimmy G would've been a great pick. Probably would've changed the trajectory of this franchise. But Rick just had to get cute. He outsmarted himself. But he appears to have learned from this mistake. (Trading up for Fuller/McKinney etc...)

LoL

2-1 for Jimmy G would've been really cheap.

Let me tell you what I would do this yr in the draft. If Mahomes falls to 25 I would take him. He has more ability than any other QB in this draft. BOB could mold him. Too bad BOB will be gone after this yr.

Then I would trade a my 2nd/3rd to get back into the bottom of the 1st and take one of the OT's if Robinson/Bolles/Ram/Dawkins fell. Hopefully in the 4th you could get a coverage LB like Anzalone or Elijah Lee. If I had to use a 4th/5th to trade up to get one of these guys I would in a heartbeat.

Then draft a RB that fell in the 6th.

Sorry I didn't mean to turn this into a draft post, but the point is if Ricky is aggressive he can fill the 3 most lacking positions on this team QB/OT/ILB. IMHO. I called for this in the Cushing draft. After drafting Cush I wanted Ricky to trade back into the 1st like the Packers did for Matthews.

Will Ricky do that this yr? Nope, Why? It costs more to pay two 1st rd picks. And the wheels on the Texans bus continue to go round and round. This aint brain surgery although Ricky would like you to think it is. Check that, it probably is to him.

You know this how? At BOB's end of yr press conference he said Ricky was in charge of the draft/fa. He said it matter of factly, but it gave me some insight into the inner working of the Texans org.

I find it curious that BOB did that. It seems as though since BOB wasn't let go by McNair he's not going to tow the company line this offseason/next yr, since he's being set up for failure anyways. (About time)
Smith being in charge of the draft tasks him to get the kinds of players the coaching staff specified when they all got together and set draft priorities.
So those aren't separate things in my mind.

I'm confused. Do you want the coach to control the draft, or do you want the GM to control the draft?

Smith being in charge of the draft tasks him to get the kinds of players the coaching staff specified when they all got together and set draft priorities.
So those aren't separate things in my mind.

Who makes the final call on those types of players?

McNair or Smith?

BOB said Smith, I know you don't like this, but it's what BOB let slip, or maybe he didn't.

I'm confused. Do you want the coach to control the draft, or do you want the GM to control the draft?

I want a GM to have final say and own his picks. If he fails he fails and you move on.

But most of all I want 2 things.

1. A HC/GM that are on the same page. Smith/BOB aren't. Hence the rumors of friction within the org.
2. A GM who lives, eats, and sleeps football. Something that Smith doesn't do. See: pics of him hanging out with Cal. Essentially I want a GM that works as hard as Belichick does and if you will admit it that guy isn't Rick Smith.

The point is, you don't "luck" into a QB if you never draft one. And I don't even think you start looking until 2010 or later because you just spent 2 2s on Schaub. And then that pick doesn't have to be a 1st rounder. Let's not forget that Schaub went in the 3rd. But at some point you've got to start looking to the future before you end up in the scenario that eventually played out, and that is, not ever finding the heir apparent to Schaub.

Going back and seeing all who were available and knowing now how they turned out isn't the point. I'm not arguing that it's not hard to find a QB. Just look at all the 1st rounders alone. Tebow, Gabbert, Ponder, Locker, Manuel, Weeden, Sanchez, Quinn and on and on. No doubt it's hard. But it's a lot harder when you draft no one, you don't even try.

I don't fault the Texans for going after Osweiler. It's the 1st time since 2007 they've ever really seriously addressed the QB position. They missed, shit happens because it is hard to find a QB, but at least they tried. When you don't address it for 10 years, when you don't even try, you don't even give yourself a chance to get lucky. That's my point.

Going back and looking at who they could have taken instead makes no difference. The point is, they didn't even try and here we still are looking for a QB 4 years after Schaub.

belichickdish.jpg

I want a GM to have final say and own his picks. If he fails he fails and you move on.

But most of all I want 2 things.

1. A HC/GM that are on the same page. Smith/BOB aren't. Hence the rumors of friction within the org.
2. A GM who lives, eats, and sleeps football. Something that Smith doesn't do. See: pics of him hanging out with Cal. Essentially I want a GM that works as hard as Belichick does and if you will admit it that guy isn't Rick Smith.
The Patriots don't have a position called GM in their org structure.

Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. He is one of two NFL coaches with the title or powers of general manager, the other being the Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll. Until 2009, Belichick split many of the duties normally held by a general manager on other clubs with player personnel director Scott Pioli, though Belichick had the final say on football matters. (LINK)

So even in your ideal case the head coach makes the call on personnel matters.

Last edited:
The Patriots don't have a position called GM in their org structure.

Soon after hiring Belichick, owner Robert Kraft gave him near-complete control over the team's football operations, effectively making him the team's general manager as well. He is one of two NFL coaches with the title or powers of general manager, the other being the Seattle Seahawks' Pete Carroll. Until 2009, Belichick split many of the duties normally held by a general manager on other clubs with player personnel director Scott Pioli, though Belichick had the final say on football matters. (LINK)

So even in your ideal case the head coach makes the call on personnel matters.

I'm fine with that.

Notice how successful those 2 teams have been.

I think the friction between BOB/Smith is over who controls the final personnel say.

I know you disagree with that. Successful orgs have a hierarchy, not this corporate BS structure the McNair's are hiding behind. It wouldn't surprise me if Cal was the true head of the personnel dept.

I'm fine with that.

Notice how successful those 2 teams have been.

I think the friction between BOB/Smith is over who controls the final personnel say.

I know you disagree with that. Successful orgs have a hierarchy, not this corporate BS structure the McNair's are hiding behind. It wouldn't surprise me if Cal was the true head of the personnel dept.
I don't disagree with a defined hierarchical structure. It just that the head coach and the coordinators ought to be the one(s) with the final say; - yes, over the GM. Since the coaching staff is responsible for team performance, I think that's the only way it should be.
What was it Parcells used to say...? "If you expect me to cook the meal, you ought to let me be the one shopping for the groceries." I'm totally on board with that.

Going back and looking at who they could have taken instead makes no difference. The point is, they didn't even try and here we still are looking for a QB 4 years after Schaub.

But if you go back & look at the QBs taken, you could argue we'd still be looking for that QB now. Just imagine how much better the Jags would be now had they drafted Jj Watt instead of Blaine Gabbert.

You don't buy rotten apples because there aren't any good ones, you take a look at the oranges, pears, bananas. Use your currency wisely.

That said, I think Kubiak would have made some thing special out of Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins, maybe even Ryan Mallett. But I also thought he could do something with Yates & Keenum. We also brought in Matt Lienart & Jared Zabransky. I thought that kid was going to be our diamond in the ruff.

So I've got no complaints about not drafting a QB before the fourth round to replace Schaub.

Now, drafting Tj instead of Rodgers.

But if you go back & look at the QBs taken, you could argue we'd still be looking for that QB now. Just imagine how much better the Jags would be now had they drafted Jj Watt instead of Blaine Gabbert.

You don't buy rotten apples because there aren't any good ones, you take a look at the oranges, pears, bananas. Use your currency wisely.

That said, I think Kubiak would have made some thing special out of Kevin Kolb, Nick Foles, or Kirk Cousins, maybe even Ryan Mallett. But I also thought he could do something with Yates & Keenum. We also brought in Matt Lienart & Jared Zabransky. I thought that kid was going to be our diamond in the ruff.

So I've got no complaints about not drafting a QB before the fourth round to replace Schaub.

Now, drafting Tj instead of Rodgers.

That's my point. If you don't draft anybody, you never know. Would we be in the same spot we are now? Maybe so, because that's just how hard it is. But what happens the way Texans did it? Same thing except it's automatic.

For example, Foles, Cousins and Russell Wilson were all available to the Texans in the 3rd where they had TWO picks, and they went with DeVier Posey and Brandon Brooks instead. Now, the Brooks pick I get, until you fast forward and he doesn't even get a 2nd contract, but you had 2 picks in the 3rd and passed on QB. 2 years later, you're now desperate for QB and you pass on Carr and Garroplo. WTF are they doing?

Not to mention the fact that Mallett or Glennon or Garroplo can all be turned into draft picks in this QB starved league. But that never happens if you don't draft the most coveted position on the field. QBs are assets even if they never amount to anything. The Falcons got 2 2nd round picks for their 3rd round selection of Schaub.

I don't disagree with a defined hierarchical structure. It just that the head coach and the coordinators ought to be the one(s) with the final say; - yes, over the GM. Since the coaching staff is responsible for team performance, I think that's the only way it should be.
What was it Parcells used to say...? "If you expect me to cook the meal, you ought to let me be the one shopping for the groceries." I'm totally on board with that.

I disagree. I think there should be one person over everything football related. In some organizations it's the GM. He hires the coach, he picks the players.

In some organizations it's the VP of football operations. One person who holds the GM & the HC accountable.

In our organization that one person is Bob McNair & I don't have a problem with that.

I understand that many here are not happy with Rick Smith & believe he should have been gone by now. I don't think he's done a bad job. I think we should have been in two AFCCGs if not for injury (2012) & whatnot (2016). Like I said before, outside of RG, RT, QB I really like the players on our roster.

Maybe O'b is a good coach. That doesn't necessarily mean he is the right coach for the Texans (Bob, Cal, & Rick McNair). Just like Kubiak was a fine coach, just not the coach for this team at that time.

Just like D'Antoni was the coach Morey needed for the Rockets to be what he wanted them to be, or so it seems.

If there's any friction between the Texans & O'b, O'b needs to figure out how badly he wants to be here.

I disagree. I think there should be one person over everything football related. In some organizations it's the GM. He hires the coach, he picks the players.

In some organizations it's the VP of football operations. One person who holds the GM & the HC accountable.

In our organization that one person is Bob McNair & I don't have a problem with that.
I'm not talking about hiring and firing staff. I'm only talking getting the players that the coaching staff believes will make the team successful.

The person that holds the collective feet of the coaching staff, front office, and scouting dept. to the fire should be the owner. He's the guy writing the checks. And here, it has always been, I think, Bob McNair. Unless I missed something, he has personally hired every HC we've had and both of the GMs we've had. He has brought in consultants to help him gather intel to make his decision. But it was always his decision.

Last yr the defense was close to that good. Demps/KJo getting hurt really hurt the defense and they were still really good. With Watt coming back (if healthy) they could be as good as Denver's.

Sad part is with Os at QB it doesn't matter.

We had a really good defense, but I don't think we were anywhere close to what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be that hard to build from where we are now if Watt stays healthy. I think Johnson will come back and tear it up next season. I'd stack the secondary, and get a LB that can cover. Stack the Oline and win with low TO's. That formula still works just fine in this league.

We had a really good defense, but I don't think we were anywhere close to what I'm talking about. It wouldn't be that hard to build from where we are now if Watt stays healthy. I think Johnson will come back and tear it up next season. I'd stack the secondary, and get a LB that can cover. Stack the Oline and win with low TO's. That formula still works just fine in this league.

Gots to have a running game, which we do/can with some ol help and hoa with the playcalling

I'm not talking about hiring and firing staff. I'm only talking getting the players that the coaching staff believes will make the team successful.

I think individuals who can coach an NFL team & manage a scouting department are rare. Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carroll, Bill Belichick.

Most teams don't do it that way & haven't done it that way. Bill Parcells' famous quote was because he didn't pick the groceries. & the Dolphins have yet to recover from when he was given the responsibility to pick the groceries.

& I say Jimmy Johnson, he may have identified the guys he wanted but it was Jerry that ran the draft & FAs to get as many of them as he could.

Same thing here. We've drafted several players with ties to Bill O'Brien. I wouldn't be surprised to learn Rick wanted Sterling Shepard or Pharoh Cooper in the third or 4th, but O'b had to have Fuller. The kid he recruited for Penn State that decided to go to Notre Dame instead.

This is O'bs Roster.

Do I believe O'b wanted Garoppolo? Sure I do. Do I believe he wanted Garoppolo instead of XSF? No. Would we have drafted Garoppolo instructions of CjF? Maybe, but I doubt it.

All this Rick Smith stuff sucks as it pertains to Qb's is way over the top. Like 80% of the teams with good QB's lucked into them when they had a top pick. Its that simple, only a handful of them were later picks. Basically the Texans have only been terrible once in the last 10 years with 2 wins and bad only once with 6 wins. So the #1 and #11 pick over the last 10 years, and there wasn't a QB either of those times that was good on the board.
The luckiest team gotta be the frickin Clits lose peyton manning one year go 2-14 the get a brand new franchise qb the nxt smh

So ...

we shouldn't take a qb this year
except we should, just later
but we certainly shouldn't trade up
although if a good one is there we should pick him

... this is your argument?
My argument is why trade up when in recent years some jems have come in later rounds. The track record is not great but there is precedent for getting the right guy in the third round or later.

What I will say is that this season is not the season to give away picks for a quarterback. We can afford to take a quarterback say in the third round and hope the quarterback at least shows signs of being what we need and want for our team in the relatively near future. If not than that is no big loss. We take the leap next season and try to move up for a better shot at getting a top Qb.

Davis Webb, QB of California stood out in the Senior Bowl this season and there is precendent now with Dak Prescott coming out of the Senior Bowl and looking good, getting drafted in the fourth round and standing out as a pro his rookie season. While Davis may not be the Qb Dak was he also may be better than expected. If nothing else he shows promise and is perfect for grooming.

I think nowadays there is a better chance of finding gems in rounds 3 through 4. No matter what it is always a good idea to draft a Qb in any season when the position is one of need.

Davis Webb, QB of California stood out in the Senior Bowl this season and there is precendent now with Dak Prescott coming out of the Senior Bowl and looking good, getting drafted in the fourth round and standing out as a pro his rookie season. While Davis may not be the Qb Dak was he also may be better than expected. If nothing else he shows promise and is perfect for grooming.

I think nowadays there is a better chance of finding gems in rounds 3 through 4. No matter what it is always a good idea to draft a Qb in any season when the position is one of need.

There are few guys Peterman, Webb, Evans come to mind who will be available 3rd round or later who can become competent starters in the league. The thing is the Texans don't need a guy to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, just a game manager like Alex Smith. A Qb who won't turn the ball over, be able to make 3 and 5 conversions, and keep the defense honest against the run game.

There are few guys Peterman, Webb, Evans come to mind who will be available 3rd round or later who can become competent starters in the league. The thing is the Texans don't need a guy to be Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, just a game manager like Alex Smith. A Qb who won't turn the ball over, be able to make 3 and 5 conversions, and keep the defense honest against the run game.

I wholeheartedly agree. Heck, an average QB would have won us more games than Lossweiler.

We are stuck with Osweiler for 2017. Release Savage, move Weeden up and pick up a veteran for 2017 in case all else fails. Oh....almost forgot. We won't be needing to replace the offensive coordinator for 2017. Please don't forget the fact that we've already got the highly skilled highly effective offensive guru............Bill Obrien.

Savage is the one you keep, he's cheaper and he still hasn't had his shot. You need to see what he can do.

Reactions: Max
We are stuck with Osweiler for 2017. Release Savage, move Weeden up and pick up a veteran for 2017 in case all else fails. Oh....almost forgot. We won't be needing to replace the offensive coordinator for 2017. Please don't forget the fact that we've already got the highly skilled highly effective offensive guru............Bill Obrien.
Instead of signing another vet, we draft a QB in the mid-rounds. We go into camp with Oz, Savage and Weeden. We have an honest three way competition between the vets for the top two spots.

He got concussed on yet another dumb-ass playcall. Yeah, he called in sick. It was all on him.

Since when is a 4th and 1 QB sneak a dumb-ass playcall? They converted it. How many QB's gets concussed on QB sneaks?

He also missed games with an elbow infection. Weeden had to be activated as the back-up.

Among the three QB's currently on the roster, I like Savage the best. But he simply cannot stay healthy. He has rightfully earned the injury prone moniker.

Since when is a 4th and 1 QB sneak a dumb-ass playcall? They converted it. How many QB's gets concussed on QB sneaks?

He also missed games with an elbow infection. Weeden had to be activated as the back-up.

Among the three QB's currently on the roster, I like Savage the best. But he simply cannot stay healthy. He has rightfully earned the injury prone moniker.

I like Savage the best also out of the current Texan QB's and I'm frustrated too at his inability to stay healthy. But, I still think they need to keep him and let him battle it out with Osweiler and Weeden in camp to see who starts this year. And, in the 2nd to 4th round I would like to see them draft Evans. Now I know this is probably not the QB BOB is looking for but it's the one I believe would be the best. JMO.

I like Savage the best also out of the current Texan QB's and I'm frustrated too at his inability to stay healthy. But, I still think they need to keep him and let him battle it out with Osweiler and Weeden in camp to see who starts this year. And, in the 2nd to 4th round I would like to see them draft Evans. Now I know this is probably not the QB BOB is looking for but it's the one I believe would be the best. JMO.

Good points. I was more responding to the other poster claiming that the only reason he was hurt was because OB called a stupid play. I don't want to see Savage gone this off season. I think Weeden needs to go because of a few factors. Age, not a long term answer, etc. While I like him, he doesn't have the ability to be The Man here in Houston. His best option will always be as back-up, especially if they invest a draft pick to go with Osweiler and Savage. Not saying that either of them will be The Man, but they have a much better chance than Weeden ever will.

Good points. I was more responding to the other poster claiming that the only reason he was hurt was because OB called a stupid play. I don't want to see Savage gone this off season. I think Weeden needs to go because of a few factors. Age, not a long term answer, etc. While I like him, he doesn't have the ability to be The Man here in Houston. His best option will always be as back-up, especially if they invest a draft pick to go with Osweiler and Savage. Not saying that either of them will be The Man, but they have a much better chance than Weeden ever will.
I see this situation intirely differently as a two part solution to the QB question. First, the team has to find their future QB, most probably through the draft, requiring development. Second, they need to decide on a short term starter for this coming season and possibly 2018.

If you still think that Osweiler or Savage can be "the man", I agree Weeden is likely out of the picture. But if we are going to be looking to the draft, then Weeden is very much in the equation as a short term starter.

He got concussed on yet another dumb-ass playcall. Yeah, he called in sick. It was all on him.

If you believe he was really concussed.

McNair got what he wanted, Os as his starting QB for the playoffs.

BTW, I called Os regaining the starting QB position after Savage took over.

My only issue with this is that I'm ready to move on.

They can have their QB competition to see which one stays, the other two should be gone. The rookie should get all the back up reps & learn how to prepare as if he is the starter. We don't need Osweiler/Savage/Weeden getting those second snaps, being activated on game day while our rookie runs the scout team. He needs to be running our offense, preparing for to start.

At least that's what I want.

If they want to go with Savage, I have no problem with that. If they want to go with Osweiler, I have no problem with that. If they want to go with Weeden... no problem. But if something were to happen to one of them, or they still suck, it's time to move on.

I don't want to go through, "Osweiler sucks, lets see what Savage can do." "Savage sucks, lets see what Weeden can do." "Weeden sucks, lets see what FA sitting on the couch can do."

They should gather all their QB scouting talents, pick one to start. Then use all their coaching ability & get the rookie ready to start ASAP.

@thunderkyss I agree with your reasoning. Basically, I agree with everything except that you are going to want 3 QBs on the roster. Guys do get hurt. You can still make the rookie the backup, while also carrying 3 guys on the roster. We would have to sign someone else to be the third or starting QB in that scenario, and I just don't see that happening. Might as well keep Savage or Weeden to be the 3rd guy. Signing a starting caliber, of which the attainability is in question given the guys available, QB out of FA would put us into a poor cap situation at QB with not a lot of return.

@thunderkyss I agree with your reasoning. Basically, I agree with everything except that you are going to want 3 QBs on the roster. Guys do get hurt. You can still make the rookie the backup, while also carrying 3 guys on the roster. We would have to sign someone else to be the third or starting QB in that scenario, and I just don't see that happening. Might as well keep Savage or Weeden to be the 3rd guy. Signing a starting caliber, of which the attainability is in question given the guys available, QB out of FA would put us into a poor cap situation at QB with not a lot of return.

I'd only carry two QBs on the active roster. I'd pick up a QB in the 6th or 7th if I like him enough, or bring in an UDFA on the practice squad.

I'll have two QBs developing. One that should not have many mechanical issues if I'm drafting him bottom of the 1st or 2nd rounds (which is where I'd like the Texans to draft a QB) & one who could use scout team reps to work out mechanical issues).

My only issue with this is that I'm ready to move on.

They can have their QB competition to see which one stays, the other two should be gone. The rookie should get all the back up reps & learn how to prepare as if he is the starter. We don't need Osweiler/Savage/Weeden getting those second snaps, being activated on game day while our rookie runs the scout team. He needs to be running our offense, preparing for to start.

At least that's what I want.

If they want to go with Savage, I have no problem with that. If they want to go with Osweiler, I have no problem with that. If they want to go with Weeden... no problem. But if something were to happen to one of them, or they still suck, it's time to move on.

I don't want to go through, "Osweiler sucks, lets see what Savage can do." "Savage sucks, lets see what Weeden can do." "Weeden sucks, lets see what FA sitting on the couch can do."

They should gather all their QB scouting talents, pick one to start. Then use all their coaching ability & get the rookie ready to start ASAP.
This would be ideal. But the organization is in a win now mode. You would be taking the risk that your vet starter will stay healthy. With our OL, that's dubious. If we drafted a QB in the first round, I'd be more likely to go this route. But not so much with a third or fourth round developmental prospect.

I see this situation intirely differently as a two part solution to the QB question. First, the team has to find their future QB, most probably through the draft, requiring development. Second, they need to decide on a short term starter for this coming season and possibly 2018.

If you still think that Osweiler or Savage can be "the man", I agree Weeden is likely out of the picture. But if we are going to be looking to the draft, then Weeden is very much in the equation as a short term starter.

Good point. I hadn't really thought of it that way. Of course, that assumes the Texans do what TexansTalk would do and draft 6 QB's.

I can easily see them investing picks in the trenches and rolling with these three again next year.

Assuming we can't sign Mike Glennon or trade for Jimmy G, I think what I would do, and I'm being totally serious, is simply cut Osweiler and take the additional $6m cap hit this year such that we don't have to worry about his contract at all past this year. Draft a QB high enough and ride with him, Weeden and Savage. Weeden and Savage are cheap, so they make up for that $6m additional loss, and their contracts are up at the end of 2017. This way, we don't have any cap money on any QB except the rookie going into the 2018 FA period and draft. I think that gives us more flexibility and we don't get worse at QB for 2017 (Savage and Weeden can give us what Brock did last year). The only downside is losing $6mil of cap to spend for our 2017 season, which really ought to not be a huge problem. We could create that $6mil by cutting Newton and Bergstrom. We've got enough money to spend to improve the holes on the roster as is, assuming we don't pay Bouye, which I don't want to do anyway. I also don't see us splurging on FAs this year.

Back