Would you want a qb from 2017 or '18

• 2017, we need one now!!!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • 2018, it has our franchise qb and easy to develop

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters

Rocketzzz13

Practice Squad
What's wrong with waiting until 2018 to pick a qb they seem much better than these options. There's a chance if brock or savage start we do better or worst who knows, i rather pick high in 2018, they have qbs that can transition well into nfl i think(luke faulk is pretty accurate we need accuracy) I say we still draft someone in later rounds like Nathan Peterman or Jerod Evans and see if they develop. If we really want a qb, we need the best in whatever class, its just that this year it seems to be too much of a stretch trading up for a qb. If one of the top ones fall to us then pick him up. For the season i say sadly Brock is gonna start because honestly savage can't stay healthy. With Brock i dont see how he can do any worst than last year but a rookie qb will end up starting tho. That's just some of my thouht what about you guys?

Wait till 2014!

Wait till 2015!

Wait till 2016!

see where Im going here?
I said texans should still pick a qb this year but not to invest alot into one because of their draft position, 2014,15, we not acceptable to pass on qb but in 2016 we thought osweiler was gonna be the goat lol

What's wrong with waiting until 2018 to pick a qb they seem much better than these options. There's a chance if brock or savage start we do better or worst who knows, i rather pick high in 2018, they have qbs that can transition well into nfl i think(luke faulk is pretty accurate we need accuracy) I say we still draft someone in later rounds like Nathan Peterman or Jerod Evans and see if they develop. If we really want a qb, we need the best in whatever class, its just that this year it seems to be too much of a stretch trading up for a qb. If one of the top ones fall to us then pick him up. For the season i say sadly Brock is gonna start because honestly savage can't stay healthy. With Brock i dont see how he can do any worst than last year but a rookie qb will end up starting tho. That's just some of my thouht what about you guys?

So ...

we shouldn't take a qb this year
except we should, just later
but we certainly shouldn't trade up
although if a good one is there we should pick him

... this is your argument?

I said texans should still pick a qb this year but not to invest alot into one because of their draft position, 2014,15, we not acceptable to pass on qb but in 2016 we thought osweiler was gonna be the goat lol

Why waste a pick on a .1% chance QB? Might as well ride what you've got.

It's almost every year that people say the next year's class is better than the current year.

I just ask that they scout guys and take one with some potential. There's almost always guys with potential available. You have to consistently try to find one in the draft or you won't find one unless you're lucky.

I'm sure QB, more than any other position, comes down to personality and work habits. We really don't know enough about that each year to project each guy properly. There are definitely guys in this draft with the skills and there are guys that have shown the poise. I won't ever believe that "there just isn't a QB worth taking a shot on in this draft."

I would rather trade for Jimmy G.

If that doesn't happen, draft Mahommes and sign Cutler to a 2 yr deal.

Carry 4 QB's Cutler/Savage/Mahomes/Os who's main job next yr is to get coffee for the QB meeting rooms. He never plays another down for the Houston Texans.

This still wouldn't preclude me from taking a QB in 2018.

Last edited:
It's almost every year that people say the next year's class is better than the current year.

I just ask that they scout guys and take one with some potential.

Agreed. & there's a big enough gap between Fitzpatrick/Hoyer & Tom Brady that we should be able to find a Dalton/Tannehill type guy.

We don't need to swing for the fences every year, but should always be looking to upgrade, just like every other position.

Carry 4 QB's Cutler/Savage/Mahomes/Os who's main job next yr is to get coffee for the QB meeting rooms. He never plays another down for the Houston Texans.

This still wouldn't preclude me from taking a QB in 2017.

Im down for everything you said except oz. Im not cutting him and eating the cap hit. Im not carrying 4 qbs all season long at the expense of another position.

I'd ir him because he conveniently gets a mysterious debilitating injury/illness.

; )

Obviously still need to look for a QB. But a lot of that is luck/being put in the right situation.

We currently have an offense that works best when the QB throws around 25 times a game and we let the running game/defense carry the load.

Lets solidify the Oline with a stud RT and a hammer at RB to pound it in short yardage situations.

If there's a good value available take a shot and see if we can find ourselves a Dak.

Im down for everything you said except oz. Im not cutting him and eating the cap hit. Im not carrying 4 qbs all season long at the expense of another position.

I'd ir him because he conveniently gets a mysterious debilitating injury/illness.

; )

I'm on board with this.

IR'ed for pathetic accuracy, a painfully slow release and Giraffe like tendencies.

So ...

we shouldn't take a qb this year
except we should, just later
but we certainly shouldn't trade up
although if a good one is there we should pick him

... this is your argument?
Yeah i dont want us to make a mistake that could hurt the whole team. Its seems everyone is quite impatient this year and would would be fine trading up 15 spots for a qb im not tho lol

This still wouldn't preclude me from taking a QB in 2017.

LOL Yea............

You gotta tell me who, specifically, we'd be waiting for and why he's better than the top of this year's crop before I can answer the OP's question.

In terms of next year?
Yes. The question was "should we wait until next year", right?
So who are we waiting for and why are they worth putting off drafting a prospect this year? Why/how are they better than the guys coming out this year?
Need more data to give an informed answer.

So who are we waiting for and why are they worth putting off drafting a prospect this year? Why/how are they better than the guys coming out this year?
Idk i just felt like based off of draft position and the lack of prospects that fit our system. Not specifically but, I like the qbs next year like josh rosen, luke faulk, baker mayfield, mason Rudolph, Jake browning, josh allen, if we have a low draft position i feel like we would still be able to get one of them. Most of the really good qb would be gone in top 15 of 2017. I also say if we pick a qb this year there is a chance of a dak Prescott but then there isnt and we will regress and our draft positon would be high

Last edited:

Easy killer, just wanted to clarify before getting all into it.

But ya, Josh Rosen, Jake Browning, Mason Rudolph, and Luke Falk for starters. First two will be underclassmen, but good enough seasons to be seen as better than this years crop would go hand in hand with seeing them come out early. And not at all a stretch.

As for why they are or aren't better, well that means comparing each of them to each of the top 3 this year and that's just a lot of stuff. Frankly Kizer and Watson have a number of warts each and Trubisky looks and has acted the part so far but it isn't a lot of so far. Those four simply will have done some significant things each from an arm talent or resume standpoint by this time next year that wouldn't be hard to imagine topping their predecessors.

But ya, Josh Rosen, Jake Browning, Mason Rudolph, and Luke Falk for starters. First two will be underclassmen, but good enough seasons to be seen as better than this years crop would go hand in hand with seeing them come out early. And not at all a stretch.

As for why they are or aren't better, well that means comparing each of them to each of the top 3 this year and that's just a lot of stuff. Frankly Kizer and Watson have a number of warts each and Trubisky looks and has acted the part so far but it isn't a lot of so far. Those four simply will have done some significant things each from an arm talent or resume standpoint by this time next year that wouldn't be hard to imagine topping their predecessors.

Generally I've been seeing the "wait for" guys have a so-so or average year then when the time comes, they don't look so good.

Which is why, "wait 'til next year." Usually turns into "wait 'til next year."

Why waste a pick on a .1% chance QB? Might as well ride what you've got.

Because Brock gives us a .2% of winning!!!!

I'm of the belief that any other Qb on the team would be better that osweiler. Pick a qb in just about any round or sign any scrub FA and he would play better than this dud. But we're stuck with this crap ass HC too so what is the point?

I'm of the belief that any other Qb on the team would be better that osweiler. Pick a qb in just about any round or sign any scrub FA and he would play better than this dud. But we're stuck with this crap ass HC too so what is the point?

Didn't we say this about Fitz, then Hoyer, and now Os? We keep saying anyone can do better than the guy we have now, but in fact, they keep getting worse.

If we draft a QB just to draft a QB, and hope we hit... then we also have to be patient and "trust the process". Those are two qualities this board doesn't have. We can't be demanding FO to draft a QB, and if said QB busts, we can't call them idiots and demand someone get fired.

We all wanted FO to get aggressive and get a QB. They paid top dollar for the top FA QB on the market. He's a bust, now everyone is demanding someone to get fired for making that mistake. Anyone else see the catch 22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see passing up Watson, who has a national championship on his resume' (hard to get more "significant" than that). Oh and Watson had to bring his team from 10 pts down to beat Alabama to get it. Came through on the big stage with the whole country watching. So if we had a chance to get Watson, I'd grab him.

AND to cover this bet, I'd also bring in Charlie Weis to train the kid. He was the OC at New England during Brady's formative years, collecting three Superb Owl rings along the way.

But that's just me.
:)

I don't see passing up Watson, who has a national championship on his resume' (hard to get more "significant" than that). Oh and Watson had to bring his team from 10 pts down to beat Alabama to get it. Came through on the big stage with the whole country watching. So if we had a chance to get Watson, I'd grab him.

AND to cover this bet, I'd also bring in Charlie Weis to train the kid. He was the OC at New England during Brady's formative years, collecting three Superb Owl rings along the way.

But that's just me.

Lots of guys have national championships on their resume. Do you want that whole lot? Winning on a loaded team can't be an entire reasonable criteria.

And I don't even knock Watson as much as some folk do, but those folk aren't coming from out of nowhere. The kid has his warts.

If there were someone (QB) that popped so much to me I couldn't pass up, I'd take him, sure. But given the combination of need at OL and the soft interest in these quarterbacks I'm inclined to pass, build the line, take a flier on a 2-3 round QB (Mahomes, Kaaya, Peterman, etc), and either take a stab at a Garoppolo/Romo/Glennon or coach the ever loving sh*t out of Savage in the meantime.

But that's just me, as well.

I just ask that they scout guys and take one with some potential. There's almost always guys with potential available. You have to consistently try to find one in the draft or you won't find one unless you're lucky.

I'm sure QB, more than any other position, comes down to personality and work habits. We really don't know enough about that each year to project each guy properly. There are definitely guys in this draft with the skills and there are guys that have shown the poise. I won't ever believe that "there just isn't a QB worth taking a shot on in this draft."
Exactly.
You gotta try as you never know - I didn't see anyone predicting Dak Prescott's excellent rookie season.
You really have to do your homework on each class of QB's and keep modifying your criteria until you hit on a winning formula and a winning QB.

Alot if yall say wait till next year turns to next year... Is from a fans perspective or the FO, because as a fan i wanted the texans to draft a qb every season since schuabs implosion never have there been a season where i seen fans sats wait till next year...

Alot if yall say wait till next year turns to next year... Is from a fans perspective or the FO, because as a fan i wanted the texans to draft a qb every season since schuabs implosion never have there been a season where i seen fans sats wait till next year...

By any chance have you met Norg?

Reactions: ROO
There's no waiting in football considering the average playing life of an NFL player. If dog years are 7:1, NFL player years are 1:7. No waiting until a good offense has to outscore and old defense's mistakes.

Like I said in another thread. Let's just build a great QB and have Mexico pay for it. :D

Reactions: ROO
Take a QB this year, and unless he comes on like gang busters, draft another one next year.

Im not sure why this wouldnt be the blue print.

If weeden couldn't get a start last season he never will - excluding some tragic (or maybe fortunate) rash of qb injuries. He's expendable because of his ceiling. He's expendable because of his salary. He's expendable because it's likely we could pick him up mid-season if need be.

With another season savage's contract will be up. Oz's contract will be friendly to drop. More importantly, we'll know more clearly just how good either can be. It's my expectation both will fail miserably in 17. Pick the better of the 2 and let the other go. Draft another qb and maintain a succession of qb talent until we find our guy.

I want multiple options. I want them molded in this system (if ob is to stay) ,and i want them cheap. Qb's on rookie contracts dont cap strap the team. 1 pick per year is hardly detrimental to the team when in fact we regularly miss on 2nd to 4th round picks anyway.

If weeden couldn't get a start last season he never will - excluding some tragic (or maybe fortunate) rash of qb injuries. He's expendable because of his ceiling. He's expendable because of his salary. He's expendable because it's likely we could pick him up mid-season if need be.

With another season savage's contract will be up. Oz's contract will be friendly to drop. More importantly, we'll know more clearly just how good either can be. It's my expectation both will fail miserably in 17. Pick the better of the 2 and let the other go. Draft another qb and maintain a succession of qb talent until we find our guy.

I want multiple options. I want them molded in this system (if ob is to stay) ,and i want them cheap. Qb's on rookie contracts dont cap strap the team. 1 pick per year is hardly detrimental to the team when in fact we regularly miss on 2nd to 4th round picks anyway.
I agree with drafting a rookie every year until you find your guy but you also cannot just cast them aside after one year - Peyton Manning's rookie year was not indicative of the talent he would show in subsequent years.

I agree with drafting a rookie every year until you find your guy but you also cannot just cast them aside after one year - Peyton Manning's rookie year was not indicative of the talent he would show in subsequent years.

I agree. In some instances 1 year is not long enough to fully evaluate a qb. But every drafted qb is on the hook for 4 years with minimal cap implications. If we cant fully evaluate a qb in 4 years the problem is not the qb - it's the coaching staff.

All i expect is an infusion of qb talent. Continuely ignoring the qb problem is not progress. Its a nail in the coffin.

I agree. In some instances 1 year is not long enough to fully evaluate a qb. But every drafted qb is on the hook for 4 years with minimal cap implications. If we cant fully evaluate a qb in 4 years the problem is not the qb - it's the coaching staff.

All i expect is an infusion of qb talent. Continuely ignoring the qb problem is not progress. Its a nail in the coffin.
What you can do is weed out the obviously inept ones or accept trades for those you can otherwise bear to depart with and hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.
In the meantime you hope you get one like Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson who show promise immediately.

What you can do is weed out the obviously inept ones or accept trades for those you can otherwise bear to depart with and hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.
In the meantime you hope you get one like Dak Prescott or Russell Wilson who show promise immediately.

Yup. And the nfl is a qb hungry market. Back up qbs with promise have trade value. Having to many qbs of value would be a nice problem. Not only would we have our pick of the litter, we would have draft commodities. The investment is worth it. Draft them. Keep drafting them.

brilliant-fgermc_zpsf74a7edc.jpg

This still wouldn't preclude me from taking a QB in 2018.

Honest question, whose been injured more the last 2 years, Cutler or Romo?

Not wanting to trade up to the top 5 from the mid 20s is not the same as wanting to wait another year before going after a QB.

Keeping in mind that the OLine looks like it'll be in worse shape going into next season than it was this season (which is saying something) and wanting a OT early in the draft is not the same as wanting to wait another year before going after a QB.

Honest question, whose been injured more the last 2 years, Cutler or Romo?

Romo, but not by much, difference is Romo's collarbone is going to break again. Already broken twice, third time is the charm.

Cutler has just been unlucky, of course having diabetes could contribute to his injury history. Tore labrum last yr in his throwing shoulder would have to be checked out. Other than that he's just been unlucky, pulled a hamstring making a tackle after an int. sprained an ankle, his hand got stepped on and broken.

Reactions: JB
Exactly.
You gotta try as you never know - I didn't see anyone predicting Dak Prescott's excellent rookie season.
You really have to do your homework on each class of QB's and keep modifying your criteria until you hit on a winning formula and a winning QB.

We got to the exact same spot as the cowboys did. Thing grappalo is the best option because of cap and contract and it was who obrien wanted and Rick smith dropped thenball.

Love Prescott but put him on our team with a bad oline and no Elliot and I don't think he is nearly as effective

But that's just me.
As I've posted before, Watson is an INT machine. 30 INT's in 2 years against college defenses is beyond horrible. The kid can't read a defense. Just like Jamarcus Russell couldn't and he had a national title also.

This is why I favor Savage. This is the only pro offense he's known. Draft a QB in the mid rounds with some upside, cut or IR Os and move on.

Reactions: Max
Didn't we say this about Fitz, then Hoyer, and now Os? We keep saying anyone can do better than the guy we have now, but in fact, they keep getting worse.
Do I remember it right that quite a few people kept saying that OB got the best year out of Fitz, Hoyer, etc.
He can even win with Weeden, Keenum and Savage.

Look.
Fitz was 6-6
Hoyer 5-4
Osweiler 8-6

It's been getting better all this time, LOL.

Back