Thanks for your support!

Waiting til 2018 for a Qb?

Would you want a qb from 2017 or '18

• 2017, we need one now!!!

Votes: 16 61.5%
  • 2018, it has our franchise qb and easy to develop

Votes: 10 38.5%

• Total voters
If we draft a QB just to draft a QB, and hope we hit... then we also have to be patient and "trust the process". Those are two qualities this board doesn't have. We can't be demanding FO to draft a QB, and if said QB busts, we can't call them idiots and demand someone get fired.

We all wanted FO to get aggressive and get a QB. They paid top dollar for the top FA QB on the market. He's a bust, now everyone is demanding someone to get fired for making that mistake. Anyone else see the catch 22?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True, but I didn't ask them to be "stupid".
:kitten:

This is why I favor Savage. This is the only pro offense he's known. Draft a QB in the mid rounds with some upside, cut or IR Os and move on.
Why does it have to be mid-round?

It seems that many people think that the Texans are only a QB from truly contending.

Why not spend all the draft resources on QBs?
Put them all in the ring with the current bunch on the team and see which guy survives, LOL.

Reactions: ROO
True, but I didn't ask them to be "stupid".
You must be one of the few who agreed with me before we got him that Ozzy showed the characteristics of an offensive disaster. You and I can say the FO should have known better, but as for those who had a bone on for Osweiler, I don't see how they can say that.

What's wrong with waiting until 2018 to pick a qb they seem much better than these options. There's a chance if brock or savage start we do better or worst who knows, i rather pick high in 2018, they have qbs that can transition well into nfl i think(luke faulk is pretty accurate we need accuracy) I say we still draft someone in later rounds like Nathan Peterman or Jerod Evans and see if they develop. If we really want a qb, we need the best in whatever class, its just that this year it seems to be too much of a stretch trading up for a qb. If one of the top ones fall to us then pick him up. For the season i say sadly Brock is gonna start because honestly savage can't stay healthy. With Brock i dont see how he can do any worst than last year but a rookie qb will end up starting tho. That's just some of my thouht what about you guys?
Brock started this year, 9-7 on the back of the Defense, the Defense will still be here so were looking 8-8 to 10-6 next year. Not a high pick. I see where your going with it though.

Why wait til 2018? If it were a sure 100% thing that we would find our answer in 2018..... then I would be all for it.

However its not very realistic at all.

Great looking players become busts regularly while a mere "pizza boy" becomes one of the greatest in the league.

So flushing a season down the toilet in hopes of getting a new sparkly "hopeful" is not a plan IMO.

Given our situation Im fine if they don't make a lot of drastic movements at the QB position given how much is invested with BO but..... to do NOTHING is not acceptable either. They dont have to find our future....... but we cant settle for BO being our NOW either.

Why wait til 2018? If it were a sure 100% thing that we would find our answer in 2018..... then I would be all for it.

However its not very realistic at all.

Great looking players become busts regularly while a mere "pizza boy" becomes one of the greatest in the league.

So flushing a season down the toilet in hopes of getting a new sparkly "hopeful" is not a plan IMO.

Given our situation Im fine if they don't make a lot of drastic movements at the QB position given how much is invested with BO but..... to do NOTHING is not acceptable either. They dont have to find our future....... but we cant settle for BO being our NOW either.
Trubisky will be long gone but Kizer is a chance to fall to 25 but I am not so sure Texans take one in R1 in this draft class.
There are several decent prospects in R2 like Peterman, and perhaps Mahomes falls to 57.
After that you wait until R3.

So rumors make it true?

Go back & look at how Texan_fan_13 said stated it & ask him how he knows.

The question is do you believe the rumors? They're out there. I believe them, you must not. But know this in BOB'season ending press conference he said Ricky McNair was over the draft/FA.

I didn't start the rumors Lombardi did.

You know the guy who has worked for Belichick for yrs.

He didn't claim any inside knowledge or source. Just said a trade to the Browns 'made sense.' That's not a rumor. That's speculation.

You and other hopeful fans have run with it adding flourishes of a 1st and 4th.

I want Smith to pick up the phone but people are way ahead of themselves on this. And then knowing you, when a trade doesn't get done you'll turn the narrative into Smith didn't try or tried and failed.

He didn't claim any inside knowledge or source. Just said a trade to the Browns 'made sense.' That's not a rumor. That's speculation.

You and other hopeful fans have run with it adding flourishes of a 1st and 4th.

I want Smith to pick up the phone but people are way ahead of themselves on this. And then knowing you, when a trade doesn't get done you'll turn the narrative into Smith didn't try or tried and failed.

I didn't say a 1st and a 4th Lombardi did and compared trading Jimmy G to Minny trading Bradford.

How about if/when a trade does happen?

Smith should do whatever it takes including a 1st and a 4th. Anything less and Ricky McNair isn't doing his job. IMHO A 1st and a 4th is a small price to pay for a franchise QB. Which I believe Jimmy G is. If you don't I totally understand.

Why does it have to be mid-round?

It seems that many people think that the Texans are only a QB from truly contending.

Why not spend all the draft resources on QBs?
Put them all in the ring with the current bunch on the team and see which guy survives, LOL.
I don't like any of the QB's in this draft enough to draft before the 3rd. There isn't a single one in this draft that will be a difference maker in 2017. Just my humble opinion.

I didn't say a 1st and a 4th Lombardi did and compared trading Jimmy G to Minny trading Bradford.

How about if/when a trade does happen?

Smith should do whatever it takes including a 1st and a 4th. Anything less and Ricky McNair isn't doing his job. IMHO A 1st and a 4th is a small price to pay for a franchise QB. Which I believe Jimmy G is. If you don't I totally understand.

Unless I'm mistaken Lombardi brought up Jimmy to Cleveland, then Schefter speculated a 1st and 4th price tag off the Bradford deal.

And of course none of this has anything really to do with whether or not the Pats would really move Jimmy and/or for how much.

IMO, teams should draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round every time one they like drops. Quantity over quality when drafting QBs. With that comes no heavy pressures of expectations and allows for open competition. If your extra drafted QBs suck, cut them, if you do a great job drafting and have QBs that won't last on PS turn them into more draft picks.

I would prefer to go into 2017 with an open competition between Os, Savage and a middle round pick.

The only thing that separates JG in 2014 and now is a few preseasons and 1.5 games, they didn't think he was a Franchise guy then, I doubt they believe it now that they will justify giving up the picks, also if the Pats believe the same thing why would they trade them to a possible competitor in the conference, it would be more prudent to trade him to the NFC even if that means getting less in compensation, also it begs the question that if they think he is a franchise QB, why trade him away at all, just franchise him next year and each successive year till brady retires because it would be worth it.

The only thing that separates JG in 2014 and now is a few preseasons and 1.5 games, they didn't think he was a Franchise guy then, I doubt they believe it now that they will justify giving up the picks, also if the Pats believe the same thing why would they trade them to a possible competitor in the conference, it would be more prudent to trade him to the NFC even if that means getting less in compensation, also it begs the question that if they think he is a franchise QB, why trade him away at all, just franchise him next year and each successive year till brady retires because it would be worth it.

I think a ton more time spent as a good student under Belichick and Brady counts for a lot more than that 'only thing'.

As I've posted before, Watson is an INT machine. 30 INT's in 2 years against college defenses is beyond horrible. The kid can't read a defense. Just like Jamarcus Russell couldn't and he had a national title also.
You're ignoring 76 TD passes (and another 21 rushing). We'll just have to agree to disagree. And are you saying Watson is as lazy as Russell in his approach to the game?

You're ignoring 76 TD passes (and another 21 rushing). We'll just have to agree to disagree. And are you saying Watson is as lazy as Russell in his approach to the game?

Do those TD passes take into account the mountain of talent around him at Clemson? Because the picks and wild throws don't have to.

They worked together at the NFLN.

What sources are good enough for you guys? Belichick? Maybe Kraft?

I didn't consider them working together on a completely speculated trade idea for Garoppolo on two different talk shows.

As for sources, we're not even past 100% speculation yet, not even to unnamed sources. I'll settle for some legitimacy beyond talking for talking sake.

I didn't consider them working together on a completely speculated trade idea for Garoppolo on two different talk shows.

As for sources, we're not even past 100% speculation yet, not even to unnamed sources. I'll settle for some legitimacy beyond talking for talking sake.

Who is a legitimate source in your mind?

Schefter has always been really good, Glazer too, LaConfora not so much.

No sir. I even stated that he reminds me of a Jamarcus Russell WITH work ethic. I expect to see huge numbers from highly ranked college QB's in every category but INT's. That's a huge red flag for me. Open in the NFL is very different from open in the NCAA. I'll watch some more film on him. I've learned to watch a lot more than the highlight reel stuff.

Unless I'm mistaken Lombardi brought up Jimmy to Cleveland, then Schefter speculated a 1st and 4th price tag off the Bradford deal.

And of course none of this has anything really to do with whether or not the Pats would really move Jimmy and/or for how much.
It was Lombardi speculating that Cleveland would be looking for a QB and they had enough picks to make a deal.
LINK

Ex-Patriots executive Mike Lombardi, who also is the former general manager of the Cleveland Browns and now works as an analyst for FOX, has a prediction: his two former employers will complete a trade.

"The next quarterback that'll be the Cleveland Browns' quarterback perhaps is Jimmy Garoppolo in New England," Lombardi said during a television appearance this week, per the Akron Beacon-Journal. "I think Cleveland understands, Hue Jackson specifically understands he needs a quarterback. I think they'll be very aggressive. I think Jimmy Garoppolo's on top of their list, and I think they'll go hard after him."

"I think the Patriots will decide whether [to trade Garoppolo] based on the deal they're offered and Cleveland has enough assets to entice them."

Actually Schefter is on record as reporting that this trade is unlikely
LINK2

Jimmy Garoppolo is only signed through the 2017 season, and Tom Brady is showing no signs of slowing down, so you could see why the New England Patriots might explore the option of trading the young quarterback.
Don’t count on that happening, though — at least not anytime soon. ESPN’s Adam Schefter cited a “person close to the Patriots” who said he would be “stunned” if the club traded Garoppolo. “The interest from other teams will be there,” Schefter wrote,” but so will interest to retain him to try to ensure a successful transition from Brady to Garoppolo.
Of course, there are a lot of NFL teams desperate for quarterback help, so you wonder whether a “Godfather” offer might be enough to get Bill Belichick and Co. to reconsider. Who knows, though. It’s still far too early to tell.

So which rumor monger do you want to believe??
:D

Yes because Mallet, Cassell, Hoyer really ran with that

Mallet is by all accounts a sh*t student and Cassell and Hoyer don't have Garoppolo's ability.

Unless your response is to say he hasn't learned anything from them in his time there?

Mallet is by all accounts a sh*t student and Cassell and Hoyer don't have Garoppolo's ability.

Unless your response is to say he hasn't learned anything from them in his time there?

No it's to say that I doubt that would greatly change their opinion of him, im sure they think they are as good at coaching someone up as anyone else.

No it's to say that I doubt that would greatly change their opinion of him, im sure they think they are as good at coaching someone up as anyone else.

Perhaps they do think that, but that doesn't take away from the kid having the opportunity to have gained invaluable information over the last three years.

The question is do you believe the rumors? They're out there. I believe them, you must not.

When our pick came up was O'b banging the table, or did he just mention in passing that he'd like Garoppolo? Did he happen to mention it to his buddy Belichick prompting Bill to take him before we had a chance?

But know this in BOB'season ending press conference he said Ricky McNair was over the draft/FA.

You've mentioned this before, I'm not sure what you're getting at. We've always known Rick was in charge of the draft. They've said so many, many times.

If you totally understood, then you'd understand Rick may not have such a high opinion of Garoppolo.

I like the kid, but I wouldn't give up a 1st & 4th for him & if his agent brings up Bradford, I'd stop him right there as I do not believe the two are close, Bradford being the more valuable.

Schefter and Lombardi worked together.

steelbtexan, you do know that Mollywhopper's post is about speculation right? Not rumor. Two totally different things.

And I commented on that very fact up thread, as did cak.

Cassel was a 7th round pick. In hindsight we can see that his value wasn't upgraded to a 5th round pick. Well, The Chiefs gave up a 2nd for Vrabel & Cassel, so it's kinda hard to figure what they valued Cassel at.

Hoyer undrafted, untraded... doesn't appear to have benefited any at all from his tutelage.

If you liked Garoppolo in 2014 & would have gladly used our 2nd round pick to acquire him, you overvalued him then & are most likely overvaluing him now.

Cassel was a 7th round pick. In hindsight we can see that his value wasn't upgraded to a 5th round pick. Well, The Chiefs gave up a 2nd for Vrabel & Cassel, so it's kinda hard to figure what they valued Cassel at.

Hoyer undrafted, untraded... doesn't appear to have benefited any at all from his tutelage.

Those guys don't have the ability Garoppolo does. Not sure why that's begged repeating. And there's no reason yet to assume they've been better students than him. Just because some guys couldn't put the learning experience to better use doesn't mean it's useless.

If you liked Garoppolo in 2014 & would have gladly used our 2nd round pick to acquire him, you overvalued him then & are most likely overvaluing him now.

And I have no idea what you're basing this thinking on. I'm all ears to hear how you got here, but it's not at all evident yet.

I don't think I overvalued him then. Nor do it think I'm overvaluing him now.

I don't like any of the QB's in this draft enough to draft before the 3rd. There isn't a single one in this draft that will be a difference maker in 2017. Just my humble opinion.
There isn't one in next year draft that will be a difference maker in 2017 if you wait. :bat::brando:

Those guys don't have the ability Garoppolo does. Not sure why that's begged repeating. And there's no reason yet to assume they've been better students than him. Just because some guys couldn't put the learning experience to better use doesn't mean it's useless.

Cassel won 11 games in one nfl season & 10 in another. He had plenty of ability.

And I have no idea what you're basing this thinking on. I'm all ears to hear how you got here, but it's not at all evident yet.

I don't think he graded as a first or second round QB. He's a project with less than ideal size. Didn't play the toughest competition, they drew up plays in the sand (if I remember correctly), his arm is good not great.

I'd have had no problem taking him with 3-1, but I didn't lose any sleep over it & I'm actually feeling pretty good about it after the season CjF had.

Back