Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Mary Cabot is who broke the Clowney signing. But in Cabot's new Brown's water carrier position, her reporting is exaggerated..............Clowney's new contract is not for $11 million.

Last year, his contract with the Browns was worth up to $10 million with only $7 million fully guaranteed.......that included a $2.5 million base salary and a $4.5 million signing bonus bonus..........only by reaching all performance incentives could he reach the $10 million mark.

He did make the roster and earned the roster bonus of $470,588. Evidently, he did not make any of his incentives, since his total earnings for 2021 ended up being only $7, 470,588.

1653256741526.png

Clowney, who had nine sacks while playing opposite Garrett, will sign a one-year contract worth up to $11 million, according to the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team has not announced the agreement. The Browns had remained optimistic — and cautiously confident — about bringing back Clowney.
3 hours ago
Washington Post: Clowney re-signing with Browns for 2022 season

New York Post
Jadeveon Clowney re-signs with Browns for up to $11 million
May 22, 2022 5:12pm
Updated

Last edited:
Clowney has been ruled out against the Patriots, with a knee injury, an ankle injury, and an elbow injury. This season, this is the 3rd game of 6 that he has missed games due to injuries.

Clowney managed his typical impressive 1 tackle stat for the game.

This should be a cautionary tale of why teams shouldn’t let media and analysts pressure them into making a pick that just doesn’t fit the scheme. Clowney would’ve made a much better 4-3 DE versus being converted to a 3-4 OLB. With no trade out options available, they could’ve made a controversial pick in OLB, Khalil Mack….WR, Mike Evans….or DT, Aaron Donald. Media would’ve eaten them alive at the moment, but a season later would force them to shut their pie holes.

This should be a cautionary tale of why teams shouldn’t let media and analysts pressure them into making a pick that just doesn’t fit the scheme. Clowney would’ve made a much better 4-3 DE versus being converted to a 3-4 OLB. With no trade out options available, they could’ve made a controversial pick in OLB, Khalil Mack….WR, Mike Evans….or DT, Aaron Donald. Media would’ve eaten them alive at the moment, but a season later would force them to shut their pie holes.

Yep, this is what Luhnow did, he ignored the Footer/Drellich of the world and took a long term view of his teams future. He caught a lot of heat from the media for his vision, but look how things turn out when you are patient.

Will Cal allow Caserio to be patient? History says no.

Yep, this is what Luhnow did, he ignored the Footer/Drellich of the world and took a long term view of his teams future. He caught a lot of heat from the media for his vision, but look how things turn out when you are patient.

Will Cal allow Caserio to be patient? History says no.

At some point Caserio will need to to tell Cal……Gameboy, either I’m the GM or you’re the GM. I’m either the one to turn this organization around or you are. So you either but-out since you have zero to no experience rebuilding a dumpster fire from the ground up or I’d be happy to but-out so you can turn this team around on your own.

Last edited:
At some point Caserio will need to to tell Cal……Gameboy, either I’m the GM or you’re the GM. I’m either the one to turn this organization or you are. So you either but out since you have zero to no experience rebuilding a dumpster fire from the ground up or I’d be happy to but out so you can turn this team around on your own.

I wish this would happen this offseason.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to ever happen.

There's too much money at stake for Caserio to take this stance.

I wish this would happen this offseason.

Unfortunately it's unlikely to ever happen.

There's too much money at stake for Caserio to take this stance.

I don't think Caserio would have anything to worry about. The Patriots would bring him right back into the fold. Belichick has a season or two left him and once he's retired, the Patriots will need a new GM.

At some point Caserio will need to to tell Cal……Gameboy, either I’m the GM or you’re the GM. I’m either the one to turn this organization or you are. So you either but out since you have zero to no experience rebuilding a dumpster fire from the ground up or I’d be happy to but out so you can turn this team around on your own.
Spoken like a person that never wants to be employed

Spoken like a person that never wants to be employed

I'm always fair and upfront with my employers....when it appears that I care more about your business than you do, then that's when we'll part ways. I'll be self-employed when we get home in 2024, if we decide to work.

Reactions: JB
At some point Caserio will need to to tell Cal……Gameboy, either I’m the GM or you’re the GM. I’m either the one to turn this organization around or you are. So you either but-out since you have zero to no experience rebuilding a dumpster fire from the ground up or I’d be happy to but-out so you can turn this team around on your own.
Caserio is spineless. We saw that with Esterbe

“There’s supposed to be a lot of changes around here next year, so they might not be back — and I might,” Clowney said.

“I don’t even think (Garrett) notices,” Clowney said of the position switches. “I ain’t trying to say it’s him. I try to get along with everybody I play with. Me and him don’t have a problem. It ain’t his fault. It’s just B.S., and I don’t have time for it.”

He said the Browns have “got their own guys, and I ain’t one of them, so it’s time for me to get my exit slip.”

“We practiced all week, and we get in the game and they want to move me,” he said. “I’m not doing that (stuff). I’m old. I’ve done my job.”

“I don’t have time for that,” he said. “I’ve made my money. I’m doing this because I love the game, but keep (doing things like that) and making me not love the game.”

“Let’s say it. Let’s be honest,” he said. “(It seems to me) they don’t want me to outplay nobody.”

He said it’s unfortunate because he wants to play with Deshaun Watson, his former Texans teammate, “but I’ve just got to go somewhere where someone believes in me.”

He said he plans to discuss the matter with Browns GM Andrew Berry in his exit meeting, and feels that Berry believes in him.

“I’ll be ready next year to get (after it again),” he said.

If things don’t work out with the Browns, they might still see him a couple of times a year.

“I could still end up in the division next year,” he said.

PFT
Jadeveon Clowney not expecting to return: I need to be around somebody that believes in me
Posted by Charean Williams on January 5, 2023, 10:04 PM EST

Jadeveon Clowney has played four consecutive seasons on one-year deals. After the Seahawks acquired him in a trade with the Texans in 2019, he went to Tennessee and then Cleveland.

The edge rusher signed another one-year deal with the Browns this offseason.

He expects Sunday to be his final game with the team.

Ninety-five percent sure I won’t be back,” Clowney told Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com on Thursday. “But there’s still that 5 percent. You never know what can happen.”

Clowney, who has 28 tackles and two sacks in 12 games, doesn’t believe the Browns have put him in the best position to succeed.

“I just feel like I need to be around somebody that believes in me and my ability,” Clowney said. “[It can’t] just be me believing in myself. I believe in myself more than anybody.”

Clowney didn’t name defensive coordinator Joe Woods, who is on the hot seat, but conceded that changes to the staff could lead to his return. That’s why he’s keeping the door slightly ajar.

“There’s supposed to be a lot of changes around here next year, so they might not be back — and I might,” Clowney said.
Clowney is upset the defensive game plan all season has featured Myles Garrett, who has 15 sacks and is a candidate for defensive player of the year. Clowney made clear he doesn’t blame Garrett but the coaching staff.

The Browns, he said, have “got their own guys, and I ain’t one of them, so it’s time for me to get my exit slip.”

Things came to a head before the Browns 13-3 victory over the Ravens in Week 15 when Clowney said he learned before the game he was switching sides with Garrett after practicing the other way all week. He opted to play only third downs and saw 22
snaps.

“I’m not doing that ****. I’m old. I’ve done my job,” Clowney said. “I don’t have time for that. I’ve made my money. I’m doing this because I love the game but keep [doing things like that] and making me not love the game.”

Clowney was the No. 1 overall selection in 2014, and despite the hype he has had ever since, the edge rusher has yet to have a double-digit sack season in nine seasons. He has three Pro Bowls.

“I don’t even think (Garrett) notices,” Clowney said of the position switches. “I ain’t trying to say it’s him. I try to get along with everybody I play with. Me and him don’t have a problem. It ain’t his fault. It’s just B.S., and I don’t have time for it.”

He said the Browns have “got their own guys, and I ain’t one of them, so it’s time for me to get my exit slip.”

“We practiced all week, and we get in the game and they want to move me,” he said. “I’m not doing that (stuff). I’m old. I’ve done my job.”

“I don’t have time for that,” he said. “I’ve made my money. I’m doing this because I love the game, but keep (doing things like that) and making me not love the game.”

“Let’s say it. Let’s be honest,” he said. “(It seems to me) they don’t want me to outplay nobody.”

He said it’s unfortunate because he wants to play with Deshaun Watson, his former Texans teammate, “but I’ve just got to go somewhere where someone believes in me.”

He said he plans to discuss the matter with Browns GM Andrew Berry in his exit meeting, and feels that Berry believes in him.

“I’ll be ready next year to get (after it again),” he said.

If things don’t work out with the Browns, they might still see him a couple of times a year.

“I could still end up in the division next year,” he said.

Hard to believe nobody wants to sign a player with this mentality to a long term deal…

A case can be made that while Jacoby Brisset performed better than expected, the defense not only underperformed, they blew several games and are one of the reasons the Browns are out of the playoffs. Clowney might get his wish and the DC gets fired.

Although Clowney has a point about the defensive coaches, he also needs to realize that he is also part of the problem. He's not an elite pass rusher. He should be taking advantage of the double teams and attention that teams pay to Myles Garrett and he is barely getting two tackles a game.

A case can be made that while Jacoby Brisset performed better than expected, the defense not only underperformed, they blew several games and are one of the reasons the Browns are out of the playoffs. Clowney might get his wish and the DC gets fired.

Although Clowney has a point about the defensive coaches, he also needs to realize that he is also part of the problem. He's not an elite pass rusher. He should be taking advantage of the double teams and attention that teams pay to Myles Garrett and he is barely getting two tackles a game.
Clowney however won’t be the last to comment on the Browns org.

This is only the beginning of the "new" extended Browns/Haslam dysfunction. Before it's over, they will all be eating their young.

austin-powers-fat-bastard.gif

*********************************************************************************************
PFT
Myles Garrett on Jadeveon Clowney being sent home: We want volunteers, not hostages
Posted by Charean Williams on January 6, 2023, 3:08 PM EST

The Browns sent home Jadeveon Clowney on Friday, a day after he criticized the Browns’ coaching staff and admitted he refused to play on anything other than third downs during the Ravens game in Week 15.

“We just want volunteers, not hostages,” defensive end Myles Garrett said Friday, borrowing a Mike Tomlin line, when asked about Clowney’s status with the team.

It’s likely Clowney has played his final game with the Browns.

Clowney isn’t happy with what he perceives as the coaching staff trying to get Garrett favorable matchups at the expense of Clowney. Garrett has 15 sacks. Clowney has two.

“You’re all trying to get somebody into the Hall of Fame when all that matters is winning,” Clowney told Mary Kay Cabot of cleveland.com. “Everybody got here for a reason, and we can all make plays. I know I am.”
Garrett, of course, disagreed with Clowney’s assessment.

“I think everyone’s concerned about winning games. I disagree with seeing it that way,” Garrett said. “The guys in our room and really the guys in the organization are so focused. . . . This season’s been on winning and getting everyone good matchups and try to get everyone a way to win. It’s not just trying to get me good looks or someone in particular. We’re all trying to find a way to win. We’re all trying to get success on the field, because everyone’s trying to get toward the postseason and the Super Bowl.”
Garrett insists he didn’t take Clowney’s comments personally. Garrett called their relationship “cordial.”

Garrett, though, wishes Clowney had talked to him before taking his grievances to the media.

“Did I know he was unhappy? I knew he was frustrated,” Garrett said. “We have all been frustrated with not winning. I know he wants to produce more. Hell, I want to produce more. We all want to do more. You all feel like you can do more, especially when you are not winning. Everyone feels that when you come in here and the result stays the same or you give up one that you feel like you could have gotten. Everyone has that sense of disappointment and regret for some plays, and everyone handles it a different way.”

This is only the beginning of the "new" extended Browns/Haslam dysfunction. Before it's over, they will all be eating their young.
Beginning? We think we have it bad with the Texans, the Browns have been one of the more dysfunctional teams for years. When you consider that no HC has lasted more than two seasons since Haslam bought the team in 2010, the Texans are a model of stability.

Beginning? We think we have it bad with the Texans, the Browns have been one of the more dysfunctional teams for years. When you consider that no HC has lasted more than two seasons since Haslam bought the team in 2010, the Texans are a model of stability.
As you notice, I wrote "new" extended.

What's the old joke: CLE fans want Browns players to be their pall bearers because they know for certain they'll be let down one more time.....

Back