Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Jadeveon Clowney was always kinda the Reggie Bush of edge rushers, and by that I mean a lot of hype coming out of college but never quite lived up to the hype.
Still JDC was a spectacular athlete who could dominate a game at the NFL level which he's done on several occasions, but then the next week he might practically disappear from the action. Also injured a lot and too inconsistent.
I'm still a fan and hope he does well with the Browns and for their sake maybe returns to his best form from a couple years back here in Houston.

Clowney has been on the shelf for the past 2 weeks for what the Browns report as "an unspecified injury." From what I've been told, he has re-injured his left knee (not the right knee for which he had previously undergone microfracture surgery), for which he underwent meniscus repair this past Dec. The fear is that now this knee has an area of bone-on-bone.

For anyone who ever thought that Clowney was Mensa material.................

1630335976807.png

The veteran defensive end just put a target on his back by firing a disrespectful shot at NFL players around the league

Facing the most important season of his NFL career, Clowney should be focused on staying healthy and producing for a Cleveland team that has legitimate Super Bowl aspirations.
Instead of taking a humble approach heading into the year, the 29-year-old fired a disrespectful shot at a group of NFL players he will have to face on a weekly basis.

“We love that matchup,” Clowney said Thursday about going up against guards. “We feel like they’re the unathletic guys. That guard position, they’re not real athletes down there. So they’re just physical and maulers. But we try to get in there and create those matchups for certain guys, and hopefully we get some wins.”
Not real athletes?

Tell that to Indianapolis Colts star Quenton Nelson, who has the strength, power, and movement skills to make NFL defensive linemen look like JV players. Joel Bitonio, one of Clowney’s new teammates, has made a lucrative living thanks to his athleticism and ability to play both the guard and tackle positions. New England Patriots right guard Shaq Mason ran a 4.99 40-yard dash coming out of Georgia Tech and excels at making blocks on the move.

Clowney’s comments simply don’t add up. While there are plenty of guards who get by on physicality and strength, there are others who use their footwork, quickness, and agility to get the job done. To say those players are not real athletes is downright insulting, and you can bet guards around the league took notice of what he had to say.

In essence, Clowney put a target on his own back by providing bulletin board material ahead of the upcoming season.

Clowney fell significantly ill a couple of days ago. The Browns were quick to report that yesterday, when tested, he tested negative for COVID. It will be interesting to follow if this changes over the next couple of days.............since it is now known that COVID variants (such as Delta) have a significantly higher rate of false negatives. Today's Clowney test results have not been reported.

Clowney was inactive yesterday with an elbow injury. It was predictable. He was limited in Friday’s practice after he didn’t participate on Wednesday or Thursday.

Although Clowney was said to have missed the last game because of his hyperextended elbow. The truth is that during pregame warmups, his knee swelled up and became too sore to play. He is now listed on the Injury Report as elbow/knee. Did not practice during the Browns contact practice Wed, and was limited today........mostly because of his knee.

That's 1 less than he had the week before.

I know some posters on here hate every move BOB made. But he got the Clowney move correct.
That Clowney wasn't worth top dollar, he got correct. But the Chiefs were willing to give up a 1st for him, allegedly. He screwed that part of the move.

Clowney's 2021 Injury Report History

week 1-illness
week 2-not on list
week 3-knee
week 4-neck*
week 5-elbow*
week 6-elbow/knee
week 7-ankle/chest/knee
week 8-ankle/groin/knee
week 9-ankle/knee/hip
week 10-ankle/knee
week 11-wrist/ankle/knee

*Note that even though he wasn't listed as a "knee" in week 4 and week 5, his knee was significantly swelling throughout those weeks also.

Clowney's 2021 Injury Report History

week 1-illness
week 2-not on list
week 3-knee
week 4-neck*
week 5-elbow*
week 6-elbow/knee
week 7-ankle/chest/knee
week 8-ankle/groin/knee
week 9-ankle/knee/hip
week 10-ankle/knee
week 11-wrist/ankle/knee

*Note that even though he wasn't listed as a "knee" in week 4 and week 5, his knee was significantly swelling throughout those weeks also.
And?

That's 1 less than he had the week before.

I know some posters on here hate every move BOB made. But he got the Clowney move correct.

Yep. Fixing a mistake that should never have happened to begin with. It was O'Brien's first big decision as HC to draft this chump with the first overall pick. What a waste.

Of course, I'm still not convinced that the owner wasn't meddling with the decision based on his alma mater. He was consistently short-sighted and wrong with those types of decisions.

Yep. Fixing a mistake that should never have happened to begin with. It was O'Brien's first big decision as HC to draft this chump with the first overall pick. What a waste.

Of course, I'm still not convinced that the owner wasn't meddling with the decision based on his alma mater. He was consistently short-sighted and wrong with those types of decisions.

The last paragraph was most likely true.

The owner was involved in drafting Carr. It stands to reason he would be involved in drafting Clowney.

Bob McNair was quoted everywhere saying that Clowney was the top pick and best player in the Draft. Just one of many examples>>>>>>>> McNair "He's a 'once in every 10 years kind of physical specimen.' "

This was consistent with everything that I heard from inside the Texans. It was Smith who was definitely still picking all the groceries for that Draft, not O'Brien. O'Brien, like Kubiak for several years, wanted to pick a QB.

I don’t know why this thread is still alive. But, there’s no reason to bash McNair, Smith, or O’Brien for the Clowney selection. He was the consensus #1 overall pick. Who knows if he would have lived up to that status without the knee injury as a rookie? But most teams would have taken Clowney #1.

It seems I have to spend a lot of time over here defending JDC, and the Texans' decision to draft him.
OK yes I recognize that Clowney was not the GOAT as advertised coming out of college, but he was anything but a bust, and he was afterall the consensus #1 overall coming into his Draft which should provide a team some cover for taking him ahead of greater talents.
You know lot of folks including one of Clowneys biggest critics over here expressed admiration for his determination and resilience to come thru the very challenging and difficult microfracture surgery/rehab successfully.

I don’t know why this thread is still alive. But, there’s no reason to bash McNair, Smith, or O’Brien for the Clowney selection. He was the consensus #1 overall pick. Who knows if he would have lived up to that status without the knee injury as a rookie? But most teams would have taken Clowney #1.
Let's not try to rewrite history. The Texans were trying very hard to trade out of the #1 pick, without any takers. "Most teams" would have had ample opportunity to get Clowney at #1.

Let's not try to rewrite history. The Texans were trying very hard to trade out of the #1 pick, without any takers. "Most teams" would have had ample opportunity to get Clowney at #1.

There is a gap between I would take Clowney as the number pick overall and I would trade multiple assets for Clowney. Especially for in year where there is not a clear QB at the top, teams aren't really paying number 1 pick prices to go up and get that player. I think this year we will see that same situation playout.

Reactions: JB
There is a gap between I would take Clowney as the number pick overall and I would trade multiple assets for Clowney. Especially for in year where there is not a clear QB at the top, teams aren't really paying number 1 pick prices to go up and get that player. I think this year we will see that same situation playout.
Even though he was not a QB, Clowney was billed as a "once in a generation player."

No team wanted to meet Rick Smith's asking price because there was no top flight QB

If only them “expert” talent scouts saw Mack & Donald.

No team wanted to meet Rick Smith's asking price because there was no top flight QB
As a generational player............presumedly a generational pass rusher, he could still have garnered a multi draft/player deal..............if anyone felt he was truly a generational pass rusher.

As a generational player............presumedly a generational pass rusher, he could still have garnered a multi draft/player deal..............if anyone felt he was truly a generational pass rusher.

He wasn't a QB, no one was giving up multiple 1's for him

Trades for the number overall pick are rare and have only involved a QB in the last 25 years. This isn't an issue with the draftspert label "generational talent" or not. This is an how the NFL works thing.

Reactions: JB
He got the move correct but the compensation he got for him was poorer than expected. Which seems to be the running theme when OB makes a trade.

The compensation was about what I expected and given his level of play with several teams since the trade the compensation was fair.

The compensation was about what I expected and given his level of play with several teams since the trade the compensation was fair.
But when we hear the Chiefs offered the same thing they gave for Frank Clark…

lucky for them they ended up with the better player.

granted if it weren’t for the dysfunction in H-Town at the time O’Brien would have taken that deal.

That’s the problem with the trade. He should have gotten more compensation based on the players most recent production at the time of the trade and not the production we are seeing now a few years later.

We got Mingo, Martin, 3rd round pick (ended up using that for Garron Conley) and paid 8 million of Clowney’s salary.

Even though he was not a QB, Clowney was billed as a "once in a generation player."

…..sports media buzz should never dictate or put pressure on a GM to select a player who’s a media darling. I felt like the Texans entered draft knowing they had to draft Clowney willfully or be shamed into making the selection. I was hoping for a trade down.

The Raiders decided to hire one of those sports media analyst as a GM and unfortunately, his picks as a GM haven’t been much better than his recommendations as an analyst on draft days.

Last edited:

Some 2014 pre-draft rankings:

Mike Mayock had Khalil Mack at no. 1.

Gil Brandt had Johnny football at no 1.

Matt Miller had Teddy Bridgewater at no. 1.

Sports Illustrated had Teddy at no. 1.

CBS Sports had Blake Bortles at no. 1.

The above is only to illustrate that he was not necessarily a consensus #1 overall pick (although there are obviously many that had him at no. 1 pre-draft, as well).

Now I get what you're saying and I have no desire to argue with 20/20 hindsight.

My question is simply how much influence did the owner assert on the pick? Because to me, that's the only aspect of it that still has potential impact today, simply because Cal is going to do what daddy did. And the last thing any Texans fan should want is Cal McNair making any decisions that impact the product on the field.

According to John McClain (fwiw), Bob McNair was smitten with Clowney because of his alma mater.

Steel you are a sharp guy who knows how to evaluate football talent, so maybe you should reconsider your comment here.
I dunno but don't you think maybe the comp our Texans received for Clowney should have been based on his play prior to the trade instead of his play subsequent to the trade. Actually on the face of it that seems pretty obvious to me, but maybe I'm wrong ?

Steel you are a sharp guy who knows how to evaluate football talent, so maybe you should reconsider your comment here.
I dunno but don't you think maybe the comp our Texans received for Clowney should have been based on his play prior to the trade instead of his play subsequent to the trade. Actually on the face of it that seems pretty obvious to me, but maybe I'm wrong ?

What did he do prior to the trade? What did his future promise?

While I agree with you and think they might have been able to get a Chiefs/Clarke type deal. Maybe we really dont understand the type of dysfunction that was going on at that time. Or atleast maybe I didn't understand.

While I agree with you and think they might have been able to get a Chiefs/Clarke type deal. Maybe we really dont understand the type of dysfunction that was going on at that time. Or atleast maybe I didn't understand.
OK perhaps you are right, maybe we didn't know the dysfunction or the whole story.

Back