Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

I wonder if they were thinking long term and how to re-sign Mercilus, and thought to make him happy Clowney had to go. For sure Clowney was gone and if he said I ain't coming in to week 8, maybe they just said a bag of chips and happy Mercilus is better. I get the Tunsil trade, still grasping for clues on Clowney

I wonder if they were thinking long term and how to re-sign Mercilus, and thought to make him happy Clowney had to go. For sure Clowney was gone and if he said I ain't coming in to week 8, maybe they just said a bag of chips and happy Mercilus is better. I get the Tunsil trade, still grasping for clues on Clowney

Had a grudge and he's dumb. Nothing more.

If we had a competent organization we would've never had to do the Tunsil trade..

This is where the rubber meets the road and it's **** or get off the pot time for Devlin.. NO ONE not even Steelbtexan can say that we didn't invest in the offensive line. Problem is I think we have the worst offensive line coach in the NFL and his ineptitude/crappy coaching continues to cost this team draft picks that will come back to haunt us.

Had a grudge and he's dumb. Nothing more.
If it was a grudge he could have screwed him over worse and make him lose game checks to keep his leverage. Clowney was promised no tag so he gets to play on a good team, good coach, and get his FA next year. So I keep wondering. Maybe something leaks

If it was a grudge he could have screwed him over worse and make him lose game checks to keep his leverage. Clowney was promised no tag so he gets to play on a good team, good coach, and get his FA next year. So I keep wondering. Maybe something leaks

Bill O'Brien got bent over a barrel in the Clowney deal. He's a better player than Tunsil who he spent two 1st round picks and a 2nd on.. and he could only get a 3rd and change for Clowney? This team continues to get depanted. Times like this is why I wish Bangcartoon still made videos.. this crap is comical
:clown:

Last edited:
We could have kept Clowney and still traded for Tunsil. :gun:

Just can't wrap my head around this. We get two scrubs and a 3rd round pick, AND still have to pay half his salary. Is BOB's disdain for Clowney that strong? To basically get nothing for him yet still pay half his salary. I said it yesterday and will keep saying it, BOB is a f@#king idiot and needs to take his ass back to Penn State and get TF out of Texas...

Just can't wrap my head around this. We get two scrubs and a 3rd round pick, AND still have to pay half his salary. Is BOB's disdain for Clowney that strong? To basically get nothing for him yet still pay half his salary. I said it yesterday and will keep saying it, BOB is a f@#king idiot and needs to take his ass back to Penn State and get TF out of Texas...
He needs to coach HS or Division 3 college football, but instead he thinks he’s Bill Belichick. I don’t think even Belichick got blown out in the playoffs while he was in Cleveland.

Same as his disdain for Brock, only worse. You gave up a 2nd to get rid of him and his money. This time you get rid of great talent, get back 2 end of the roster guys, a 3rd, AND you still have to pay half his salary.

That’s just....wow!

I cannot defend the Clowney trade, complete mismanagement of a top end asset. However, the Pats traded C. Jones for Cooper (who was a bust) and a 2nd rd pick. Our deal isn’t that far off (I’m trying to find some upside)

Point taken.

I think there’s a some slight differences.

One, the pick was a round earlier from a team that wasn’t very good. Also, Cooper at the time was only a couple years removed from being the 7th overall pick.

Plus chandler jones had some off field issues.
Also, the patriots traded him where they wanted to trade him to because jones was under contract.

And jones wasn’t an astronomical sack guy.

I think his best season up until the trade was like 12 sacks.

Thing is, at the time I don’t remember there being such a resounding sentiment that the patriots lost the deal. It was thought that they got pretty good value there.

And I don’t think they also paid anything so that the other team could fit him in salary wise. Texans paid 7 mil to trade him. I don’t know how or if that affects the cap.

I don’t think a good team would have handled this situation this way and have gotten such a mediocre return if they did decide to trade him.

OB pretty much checked the list of everything not to do.

Last edited:
Same as his disdain for Brock, only worse. You gave up a 2nd to get rid of him and his money. This time you get rid of great talent, get back 2 end of the roster guys, a 3rd, AND you still have to pay half his salary.

That’s just....wow!
Wait...I thought Seattle was not going to pay him under the franchise tag

That’s just....wow!
only thing I can think of is when he signed his tender Texans were on the books and that 7mil is somewhat prorated? This might be an nfl thing? Any lawyers here?

Fandom isn't about being all happy and Rosie no matter what the Front Office is doing.

You got us mixed up with someone else. I've seen some of the most negative posters post some positive posts today. I've seen the rainbow club hurling lightning bolts.

Something is happening here & it's affecting all of us.

And people wonder why some of us don't like OB. Getting rid of Clowney is still dumb the more I think about it.

If he gets blown out in the first round of the playoffs (if he even makes it), I hope he's fired the same day.

In a couple of years it'll wash over. Like AJ joining his coaching staff or Brooks having a misdiagnosed illness or nobody liked Ben Jones anyway.

Everybody loves O'Brien except agenda driven fans.

only thing I can think of is when he signed his tender Texans were on the books and that 7mil is somewhat prorated? This might be an nfl thing? Any lawyers here?
Just read an article and it doesn’t appear to be an nfl thing. I tell you, Seahawks don’t appear to want to or have the cap space to sign him after this year. They appear to be renting him for this season. This is a big gamble on their part, imo. This is an expensive one year rental fee in my books. If they don’t trade him before year end and something health or otherwise doesn’t work out I like this trade a lot.

In a couple of years it'll wash over. Like AJ joining his coaching staff or Brooks having a misdiagnosed illness or nobody liked Ben Jones anyway.

Everybody loves O'Brien except agenda driven fans.

This will only wash over for me when I’m dead and gone.

If we had a competent organization we would've never had to do the Tunsil trade..

There was a list of promising young LTs in the league. The list included Tunsil & two other guys one with a question mark next to his name.

Leads me to believe we most likely wouldn't have drafted a good LT the last four years.

Had Duane Brown not been looking for a fight we wouldn't have been looking to trade for Tunsil. But that's a different story.

No. Read the article. The Texans pay $7 mil and the Seahags pay the rest. No lawyers needed. Pretty self explanatory.

Seattle told Houston they had to split the salary. Seattle told clowney no tag next year. That was negotiated

Seattle told Houston they had to split the salary. Seattle told clowney no tag next year. That was negotiated
Just read an article and it doesn’t appear to be an nfl thing. I tell you, Seahawks don’t appear to want to or have the cap space to sign him after this year. They appear to be renting him for this season. This is a big gamble on their part, imo. This is an expensive one year rental fee in my books. If they don’t trade him before year end and something health or otherwise doesn’t work out I like this trade a lot.
They gave up nothing. If he leaves and signs elsewhere they get a compensatory pick back. Two guys they gave up totally replaceable. Literally a one rental while clowney tries to earn a huge payday.
Seattle won, clowney won. OB ? Well he sold his house for below market value because he just didnt like it

They gave up nothing. If he leaves and signs elsewhere they get a compensatory pick back. Two guys they gave up totally replaceable. Literally a one rental while clowney tries to earn a huge payday.
Seattle won, clowney won. OB ? Well he sold his house for below market value because he just didnt like it
Our third offsets the comp...depending whether they sign any FA’s next year, they may not get one. Martin may play for us a long time. Clowney has to stay healthy and be a DLine leader. Can’t grade this trade yet. Anyway he remains a GM nightmare to anyone that touches him.

They didn’t give up anything to get him though. Plus they got half his salary paid by the Texans. Not that big of a gamble.

LOL @ anyone thinking the Clowney trade turned remotely favorably for us in any way. That’s beyond absurd.

You can debate the Tunsil trade from both sides but that one may take a couple of years to ultimately grade.

Our third offsets the comp...depending whether they sign any FA’s next year, they may not get one. Martin may play for us a long time. Clowney has to stay healthy and be a DLine leader. Can’t grade this trade yet. Anyway he remains a GM nightmare to anyone that touches him.
In the end Seattle is better with him for the year. Who knows maybe the texans find a gem with the pick.

Why does it keep getting worse??

tenor.gif

This is where the rubber meets the road and it's **** or get off the pot time for Devlin.. NO ONE not even Steelbtexan can say that we didn't invest in the offensive line. Problem is I think we have the worst offensive line coach in the NFL and his ineptitude/crappy coaching continues to cost this team draft picks that will come back to haunt us.
Oh hell no. Don’t you go givin OB another scapegoat. It’s **** or get off the pot time for OB. This line fails it’s on him and him alone. He’s chosen to keep that turd all this time and it’s too late now to say he didn’t do his job.

I would have had a sliver of respect left for O’Brien had he just said this about Clowney...

And of course we know how the rest of that story played out.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Bill O’Brien on if he thinks they got the right value for Jadeveon Clowney from Seattle, “We do.” #Texans

Several of us noted that JD was given the freedom to pursue plays away from him and leave backside contain vulnerable to play action. I don't recall them using Mercilus this way and it'll be interesting to see if the front 7 doesn't play more assignment football rather than freelance which it felt like we did a lot. I've always felt that Mercilus is a better pass rusher than JD as well, so I won't be surprised if we don't miss JD as much as some here think. Something to keep an eye on anyways.

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney: 'There were contract proposals between player and us we couldn't come to an agreement on. We had several discussions with many teams over many months.'

Asked about return value for Clowney, O'Brien said Texans believe they made best decision for team.

On whether the #Texans received value for Jadeveon Clowney in the Seattle trade: "We do."

O'Brien did not answer the question as to whether Clowney should've been traded before the draft.

O'Brien: I understand everyone is going to dissect what we did and what we gave up to Seattle. In the end, we did what we thought was best for our team.

Bill O'Brien: 'We can't control what the outside world thinks. It's probably taken me a while to figure that out.'

“The best thing for us to do is go out work hard, practice hard and win.” - Bill O’Brien

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney, said team discussed having him play this season under tag and also with JD and Bus Cook. "We think very highly of Jadeveon Clowney. He had a lot of good Sundays for us.'

O'Brien declines to answer whether he anticipated Clowney sitting out the season if he wasn't traded #Texans

O'Brien said Texans had discussions within organization and with Clowney, agent about Clowney playing with Texans this year. Said they were unable to come to a resolution. Eventual decision made was best for Texans and Clowney.

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney and if team could have repaired things: 'We're moving forward.' Said you always look back and reflect on what happens, but you can't dwell

Bill O'Brien on JD Clowney: 'He had a unique skill set. We anticipated there was a possibility he would not be here.'

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney on what divided team and Texans: 'We could not come to agreement on a long-term deal.'

"Do you think your defense is improved after the moves you made this weekend?" O'Brien: "I think we have a good defense."

This whole rodeo feels like (I have no facts but how is that different then everyone else):
- We would not pay his contract demands, and according to BOB it was a back and forth not a take it or leave it
- Before July 15 and during the draft, either we asked too much OR Clowney's team scared away suitors with their contract demands so people grabbed the next guys
- After July 15, We probably tried to convince Miami that he could be spun into a first as contenders need an edge or in the offseason so was saying a 1 and Clowney for Tunsil. Miami may have been a believer but Clowney said nope
- So we broke these into two threads, Miami and Tunsil changed to all draft picks pretty much, looked to give him away to get rid of distraction

So the Clowney deal is crazy

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney: 'There were contract proposals between player and us we couldn't come to an agreement on. We had several discussions with many teams over many months.'

Asked about return value for Clowney, O'Brien said Texans believe they made best decision for team.

On whether the #Texans received value for Jadeveon Clowney in the Seattle trade: "We do."

O'Brien did not answer the question as to whether Clowney should've been traded before the draft.

O'Brien: I understand everyone is going to dissect what we did and what we gave up to Seattle. In the end, we did what we thought was best for our team.

Bill O'Brien: 'We can't control what the outside world thinks. It's probably taken me a while to figure that out.'

“The best thing for us to do is go out work hard, practice hard and win.” - Bill O’Brien

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney, said team discussed having him play this season under tag and also with JD and Bus Cook. "We think very highly of Jadeveon Clowney. He had a lot of good Sundays for us.'

O'Brien declines to answer whether he anticipated Clowney sitting out the season if he wasn't traded #Texans

O'Brien said Texans had discussions within organization and with Clowney, agent about Clowney playing with Texans this year. Said they were unable to come to a resolution. Eventual decision made was best for Texans and Clowney.

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney and if team could have repaired things: 'We're moving forward.' Said you always look back and reflect on what happens, but you can't dwell

Bill O'Brien on JD Clowney: 'He had a unique skill set. We anticipated there was a possibility he would not be here.'

Bill O'Brien on Jadeveon Clowney on what divided team and Texans: 'We could not come to agreement on a long-term deal.'

"Do you think your defense is improved after the moves you made this weekend?" O'Brien: "I think we have a good defense."

Sounds like JD was willing to sit out the season or come in after the deadline.

I would’ve tried to get a long term deal done, but if he was going to sit out the season at this point then trading him makes sense.

But then again, this is one guy’s partial accounting of what was going on.

Clowney was offered several deals and wanted more. Again, do you want to keep Clowney with Khalil Mack Money or do you want to Deshaun Watson and Laramey Tusil. You guys don't know what Clowney was offered and what he turned down. When the employee doesn't want what is offered what do you do. Clowney didn't take the offer. Clowney didn't want to go to Miami. And I keep saying Clowney didn't get.. I hope he finds what he's looking for but in the end, he's done here because he didn't wan too, not because Bill Obrien didn't. I Knew last year it was Clowney's last year here. How could the rest of you not. Deshaun vs clowney. you can't have both. Pretty simple.

Back