Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Clowney was offered several deals and wanted more. Again, do you want to keep Clowney with Khalil Mack Money or do you want to Deshaun Watson and Laramey Tusil. You guys don't know what Clowney was offered and what he turned down. When the employee doesn't want what is offered what do you do. Clowney didn't take the offer. Clowney didn't want to go to Miami. And I keep saying Clowney didn't get.. I hope he finds what he's looking for but in the end, he's done here because he didn't wan too, not because Bill Obrien didn't. I Knew last year it was Clowney's last year here. How could the rest of you not. Deshaun vs clowney. you can't have both. Pretty simple.

Clowney could have helped the team reach a Super Bowl this year since he wasn’t a part of the end trade for Tunsil anyway. Shopping him after the guy already said he would play under the tag was a huge misstep on the part of OBrien and Co. No way you can argue the team is better without him and all because there was not an experienced GM handling negotiations.

Clowney was offered several deals and wanted more....You guys don't know what Clowney was offered and what he turned down....I Knew last year it was Clowney's last year here. How could the rest of you not.
Since we don't know what Clowney was offered (other than the franchise tender), why don't you tell us?

If you knew that last year was Clowney's last, why didn't the Texans know? Couldn't they have made a better deal in the spring?

Clowney could have helped the team reach a Super Bowl this year since he wasn’t a part of the end trade for Tunsil anyway. Shopping him after the guy already said he would play under the tag was a huge misstep on the part of OBrien and Co. No way you can argue the team is better without him and all because there was not an experienced GM handling negotiations.

We shouldve sold high (before the july deadline) or sat him indefinitely. Our return on him was a joke.

Its cancer in the locker room and cannot stay. The entire franchise system has to be revamped. Who's going to play their butt off and end up with a career-ending injury without money. All of this clowney was going play 110% is just pie in the sky. It wasn't going to happen. The bad GM was Gaine in not getting rid of him when they could get value rather than this. DeShaun or Clowney, you can't have both.

Since we don't know what Clowney was offered (other than the franchise tender), why don't you tell us?

If you knew that last year was Clowney's last, why didn't the Texans know? Couldn't they have made a better deal in the spring?
You cannot afford Watson and Clowney. I mean its not rocket science. It was well known that Clowney wanted Khalili mack money. You can't give him $150 million and Deshaun $150 million and pay for a quality Left Tackle., Is Matt Khalil a quailty franchise left tackle. So, of Course, the Texans knew. but Gaine decided this was the route he was going. And why he was thankfully fired.

Its cancer in the locker room and cannot stay. The entire franchise system has to be revamped. Who's going to play their butt off and end up with a career-ending injury without money. All of this clowney was going play 110% is just pie in the sky. It wasn't going to happen. The bad GM was Gaine in not getting rid of him when they could get value rather than this. DeShaun or Clowney, you can't have both.

No evidence he was a cancer. O'Brien is a cancer .If you can't agree to a deal play him on the tag don't trade him for scraps.

The bad gm I think was OB. Multiple stupid trades multiple bad free agency signings. Multiple incidents of him having unreparable relationships with both staff and team.

And why? Why so much authority to a guy whose done literally nothing special.

The bad gm I think was OB. Multiple stupid trades multiple bad free agency signings. Multiple incidents of him having unreparable relationships with both staff and team.

And why? Why so much authority to a guy whose done literally nothing special.

Really want to know what the McNair's see.

How on earth did they become billionaires without being able to evaluate who to hire and fire?

The thing that's always pissed me off with clowney was he underperformed.

I know what you'll say next - he didn't and then some Yahoo will start citing stats.

He didn't suck here. He was pretty damn good infact. But did he play up to his potential? My sentiment is he isnt half as good as he should be.

He's one of the most athletically gifted big men I can remember watching. If he played up to his talent he'd be 1st ballot Hof. Maybe the best ever.

Sure I blame clowney for not being better. I blame the coaching staff to.

IMO Clowney was atleast as valuable to the defense as Watt, but together were a formidable combo.
And it's a shame because the Texans could have really very easily had Tunsil while retaining Clowney, so have ones proverbial cake while eating it too.
If I didn't know better I'd almost think the Texans set out to sabotage their own negotiations with Clowney because the Texans knowingly or unknowingly set a trap
with themselves being the prey. Everything has fallen in place for JD and the final ribbon on the package for Clowney is that the Seahawks have agreed not to franchise
him until after the 2019 season so he will finally become that free agent he's wanted to be for some time and will test the market for his true "fair market" value
after the 2019 season, and in the meantime be able to make his own promo with the upcoming 2019 NFL regular season.
And all of that thanks to that bumbling NFL organization down in Houston.

IMO Clowney was atleast as valuable to the defense as Watt

brendan_fraser_laugh.gif

Clowney was offered several deals and wanted more. Again, do you want to keep Clowney with Khalil Mack Money or do you want to Deshaun Watson and Laramey Tusil. You guys don't know what Clowney was offered and what he turned down. When the employee doesn't want what is offered what do you do. Clowney didn't take the offer. Clowney didn't want to go to Miami. And I keep saying Clowney didn't get.. I hope he finds what he's looking for but in the end, he's done here because he didn't wan too, not because Bill Obrien didn't. I Knew last year it was Clowney's last year here. How could the rest of you not. Deshaun vs clowney. you can't have both. Pretty simple.
Lol making shot up now are we? You don’t have a clue what was offered. And yes we could of had all three this year, Watson, Clowney and Tunsil but OB is a dick head egomaniac and so he gave clowney away. Could of easily kept him and played him under tag which clowney said he would and traded him next year. So quit patting yourself on the back because you didn’t know **** and what you thought you knew was wrong.

Why are you purposefully drawing an untrue narrative? Clowney NEVER came out publicly with negative comments about the team or the negotiations and neither did his agent for him to be labeled a “cancer”. The trade speculation probably surprised them since JD was prepared to sign the tender after week 3 preseason. Worst case week 1 season and you just forget about it and let him play. Instead Bill got cute and it bit him square in the ass.

Why give away Clowney for a situation that you could address next year? Only because the team had “pie in their face” from not using back channels and more quiet ways to gauge interest around the league.

It turned into a “Clowney didn’t want to be here any longer” due to the management and he got shipped where he wanted and the Texans look like fools. There was no reason to rush this decision if it really was “win now” mode.

I was fine with JD being traded. His knee combined with what he wanted for a contract is not a good combo. However why trade him for a 3rd when we could have kept him this season and let him walk for a 3rd.

Who knows, his knee could blow this year, but knowing our luck he will put up 20+ sacks.

I was fine with JD being traded. His knee combined with what he wanted for a contract is not a good combo. However why trade him for a 3rd when we could have kept him this season and let him walk for a 3rd.

Who knows, his knee could blow this year, but knowing our luck he will put up 20+ sacks.

Clowney and tunsil trades are two separate entities. We at least got something back for tunsil. We got scraps for clowney.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Bill O’Brien on if he thinks they got the right value for Jadeveon Clowney from Seattle, “We do.” #Texans

Just wondering, what did PatStat expect him to say?

What would you expect him to say?

Should have just said "Next question" instead of replying to such a ludicrous question.

:coffee:

Seems like we are paying Clowney more this season then Mingo and Martin combined. Is that really right?

Edit: Texans paid, it's not my money, but damn.

Last edited:
Seems like we are paying Clowney more this season then Mingo and Martin combined. Is that really right?

Yes. We paid Seattle to take clowney. They were gonna cut Mingo anyway, he's negative value at that salary. They'll get the 3rd round pick back in a couple years if clowney walks or they can extend him.

Basically we got nothing in return. It was like cutting him. Very much like giving away a second round pick to a team so they would take Brock instead of just cutting him

The thing that's always pissed me off with clowney was he underperformed.

I know what you'll say next - he didn't and then some Yahoo will start citing stats.

He didn't suck here. He was pretty damn good infact. But did he play up to his potential? My sentiment is he isnt half as good as he should be.

He's one of the most athletically gifted big men I can remember watching. If he played up to his talent he'd be 1st ballot Hof. Maybe the best ever.

Sure I blame clowney for not being better. I blame the coaching staff to.

One of the things about Clowney is he’s a very linear athlete, almost like a 100m sprinter. He’s very fast and explosive but not elite at change of direction. I think this is what differentiates outside pass rushers

Clowney

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/jadeveon-clowney?id=2543456

Watt

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/j.j.-watt?id=2495488

Miller

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/von-miller?id=2495202

Mack

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/khalil-mack?id=2543463

Clowney is a phenomenal athlete but if you look at 3 cone and short shuttle there’s a difference between the 4. Clowney often beats guys with his explosive initial bursts but never seemed to develop a go to counter once OL got a hold of him

On a side note it’s amazing Watt put up the numbers he did at 290

Speaks to craft. Either he didn't want to or he had bad coaching. The same coaches had Watt. What does that tell us?

This guy is a fraction of what he should be. It's like giving a 6 year old Jimmy page a drum kit and telling him to skip the guitar.

Speaks to craft. Either he didn't want to or he had bad coaching. The same coaches had Watt. What does that tell us?

This guy is a fraction of what he should be. It's like giving a 6 year old Jimmy page a drum kit and telling him to skip the guitar.
He had Vrabel, RAC and Weaver to coach him. I can point to many guys that got better with them in this environment, so here I would point to the athlete. Blackson, Reader, Dunn, Heath, all better, Mercilus, Scarlett, better, just saying, Dude is a freak athlete and he does play hard so I respect him, but always wonder what could have been

Then why take him #1 overall in the first place?

They could've kept him for this season at least.

If you're going to go off of reports about what he was offered and what he wanted then I'll go off the reports that he'd have been here and ready for week one if they weren't trying to trade him.

Sounds like JD was willing to sit out the season or come in after the deadline.

I would’ve tried to get a long term deal done, but if he was going to sit out the season at this point then trading him makes sense.

But then again, this is one guy’s partial accounting of what was going on.

I would've let his a** sit and taken the comp pick if I couldn't have gotten more than a 3rd rd pick for Clowney.

He had Vrabel, RAC and Weaver to coach him. I can point to many guys that got better with them in this environment, so here I would point to the athlete. Blackson, Reader, Dunn, Heath, all better, Mercilus, Scarlett, better, just saying, Dude is a freak athlete and he does play hard so I respect him, but always wonder what could have been

I just think he could be truly dominant. World class. He isn't. There's a disconnect Somewhere.

This makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it...the Seahawks will either sign Clowney long-term or get their third-rounder back in 2021 and are only paying half of Clowney's salary. At worst they get him for one season at half price, gave up two scrubs who were probably gonna be cut, and get their third round pick back. At best they get him long term for basically a third round pick. F you BOB...

This makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it...the Seahawks will either sign Clowney long-term or get their third-rounder back in 2021 and are only paying half of Clowney's salary. At worst they get him for one season at half price, gave up two scrubs who were probably gonna be cut, and get their third round pick back. At best they get him long term for basically a third round pick. F you BOB...

Yes I'd say clowney at $8 million is a good deal

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...Clowney-happy-for-fresh-start-in-14407840.php

Practicing with his new team for the first time Monday after being traded from the Texans on Saturday in exchange for a third-round draft pick and outside linebackers Barkevious Mingo and Jacob Martin, Clowney took the high road and wasn't critical of the Texans.

"Very crazy," Clowney told reporters in Seattle after practice. "I'm looking forward to a fresh start here. I'm glad it's over, the whole process of being traded here and getting going on a new journey."

If Clowney, a former No. 1 overall pick of the Texans, has any lingering bitterness over being shopped all over the NFL, including the Miami Dolphins, and the Texans being unwilling to meet his financial expectations in unsuccessful contract talks, he didn't let it show.

"They decided that, I didn't have no say-so," Clowney said. "They decided to trade me out. I'm thankful for the opportunity I had in Houston.

"They drafted me first overall. I'm just glad to be looking forward. I ain't looking back.

Hate to burst your bubble but Carroll loved Jacob Martin and hated to trade him. Seattle fans had him rated as the most likely to break out player from last year. Guy is extremely fast and active. Seahawks needed an edge rusher in the worst way this year and who knows, they may have traded him to the Texans. This is going to be an intriguing player to watch alongside Watt and Mercilus.

F BOB...
16bdc68eb4e5d1f9d440f9c2560fb34d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

It’s bittersweet. The truth is coming out little by little. JD didn’t want to leave and that was apparent. He was being forced out and at the very least he was going to pick where he ended up.

Why? Why I ask could Bill OBrien not just shut his fat mouth for 6 months and let Clowney 1. HELP YOU and 2. Drive up his value.

This argument about money from OBrien is nonsense- the franchise tag is a set amount you worry about next year and beyond after the season.

Ran him off because he wouldn’t continue being a ‘Yes Man’.

Hate to burst your bubble but Carroll loved Jacob Martin and hated to trade him. Seattle fans had him rated as the most likely to break out player from last year. Guy is extremely fast and active. Seahawks needed an edge rusher in the worst way this year and who knows, they may have traded him to the Texans. This is going to be an intriguing player to watch alongside Watt and Mercilus.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this guy is a scrub compared to Clowney. They traded a bonafide elite defensive player for a scrub who was going to be cut and a guy with "potential". And if the Seahawks "needed an edge rusher" so bad and Martin is so great, why didn't they just keep him?

Martin is a player on pass rushing downs. But he sucks against the run.

It's Mingo who sucks and is getting $7 million

If I remember correctly the CBA says that the tender for clowney could have been withdrawn at any time and he would have became an un restricted free agent. If he signed anywhere he would have probably gotten us a third round comp pick. Just my opinion though.

Tweet from @StephStradley: If I were a #Texans player, I’d be wondering about a culture that runs off best players with no equivalent replacements or plan. How do you get buy-in for that or that it’s best for team? The culture seems like it’s driven by the seat of O’Brien’s pants fueled by ego and anger. https://twitter.com/chronbriansmith/status/1168163820084310018

Tweet from @StephStradley: If I were a #Texans player, I’d be wondering about a culture that runs off best players with no equivalent replacements or plan. How do you get buy-in for that or that it’s best for team? The culture seems like it’s driven by the seat of O’Brien’s pants fueled by ego and anger. https://twitter.com/chronbriansmith/status/1168163820084310018

It is possible this lopsided trade was for exactly that reason. Has it crossed anyone's mind that after JD refused to sign his contract and be traded to Miami, that Houston took the loss and traded him to Seattle instead where he wanted to go and where he also received a guarantee he would not be tagged again next year all in an effort to show JD and everyone in that locker room that the Texans will not just blindly screw over their careers? Houston completely blundered their contract negotiation with JD, waited much too long to get good value, and after ultimately deciding they wanted Tunsil from Miami, decided to receive pretty much nothing in return for allowing JD to continue his career somewhere of his choosing.

Seems to me other stars on this team may see that as the team decidedly having their interests at heart even at a huge cost.

I can't see the the players in that locker room being too upset that OB is trying to protect their QB and trying to leverage one of his stars as trade bait. I can also see how they would appreciate OB making a fool on himself in the national football media for such a crappy trade, all to allow JD a fresh chance on a team he was interested in.

Last edited:
Back