Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

I would assume free agent. I can’t imagine they’d do that though. If he sits they don’t have to pay him and they can franchise next season and hopefully do it right next time

It would be better to trade him for a 7th round pick from Philly than just withdraw the tender

And, don’t expect for Butt Chin to stop there. I’m sure he has a few more blunders up his sleeve. This guy has got to go!
Well, you have to give credit where credit is due.

The man listens to the fans.

After years of flushing this team and the talent on it down the toilet... the man listened to the complainants of the fans of his ability to destroy this team and he replied.....

"........ Hold my beer."

This is the only thing that makes sense at this point.

Yep, why give away next years draft at this point. If I were GM, the only way I’d trade him now is if I’m getting good draft capital or a player that I really want. Let’s not forget the trade deadline is several weeks into the season. If a top contender has a pass rusher go down, we might be able to get more for Clowney then

The Texans did not negotiate. They gave him that one lowball offer and that's it.

Lol, dude you literally have no proof of anything you assert. Your entire narrative is based on tweets and rumor mill newspaper pieces that you run with as fact .....& only those that fit your narrative.

You go from tweet to tweet usually siding with the one that paints BoB in the worst light. Why? B/c 1 guy in Miami said so and says he has sources. Damn the actual facts of what has happened or the other plausible explanations.

Just like you’re doing with the post above. “Lowball offer?” Unless you’re Clowney, you can’t presume to know what the Texans offered him...no one knows what he was offered by the Texans. Just b/c he didn’t accept it, doesn’t mean he was low balled...it just means he didn’t accept it.

Why do anything at all? Let him sit out the season, franchise him again and trade him before the next draft
I hope that happens but the problem with that is that Watsons back side is still subject to maximum exposure in 2019.
Wonder what O'brien thinks of Andre Dillard now ? What would it take to get Dillard ?

He wouldn’t sit out all season I don’t think.

I believe he’d just come in after the trade deadline.

If the Texans are playing well that would be nice for us as fans as long as they were able to integrate him without any turmoil.

I kind of want to see him come in after the trade deadline lol. O'Brien would trade two first rounders just to get rid of him

I hope that happens but the problem with that is that Watsons back side is still subject to maximum exposure in 2019.
Wonder what O'brien thinks of Andre Dillard now ? What would it take to get Dillard ?

Too much. Our OL coach loves him, he had a fantastic preseason, and Peters is likely to retire any year now. He and Johnson are probably essentially untouchable. Peters would probably retire before a trade. If the Eagles are working a deal involving an OT it'd be Vaitai or Mailata.

In that case why not just have clowney play for the team on the franchise tag? That's what he wanted to do before O'Brien went nuts

I don’t like the Texans off season, and I don’t like the way BOB has handled his GM role thus far. Having said that they are issues with Clowney that are very real. I’ve heard the words selfish and immature repeatedly used to describe Clowney behind the scenes, and this is from a person that would know and has no love for BOB, ie not a Texan yes man.

Charles Robinson from Yahoo reported Philadelphia is interested but worries about cultural fit. Did you notice how the Dolphin players threatened a revolt if they traded Tunsil for Clowney but we haven’t heard a peep from the Texans players. There are issues that go beyond the field

Too much. Our OL coach loves him, he had a fantastic preseason, and Peters is likely to retire any year now. He and Johnson are probably essentially untouchable. Peters would probably retire before a trade. If the Eagles are working a deal involving an OT it'd be Vaitai or Mailata.
Johnson is the RT with Philly who started out his football career as a QB right ? Could he be an effective LT ?
I'll bet your GM Howie Roseman would start drooling at the thought of an opportuniy to deal with Bill O'brien in this situation ?

I don’t like the Texans off season, and I don’t like the way BOB has handled his GM role thus far. Having said that they are issues with Clowney that are very real. I’ve heard the words selfish and immature repeatedly used to describe Clowney behind the scenes, and this is from a person that would know and has no love for BOB, ie not a Texan yes man.

Charles Robinson from Yahoo reported Philadelphia is interested but worries about cultural fit. Did you notice how the Dolphin players threatened a revolt if they traded Tunsil for Clowney but we haven’t heard a peep from the Texans players. There are issues that go beyond the field
Goes all the way back to Spurrier's comments. If/when Clowney signs and plays for Texans, I expect him to mail it in much like he did his last year in South Carolina.

What if clowney sits out, JJ goes down this season and call it quits. What do the texans do lol

If only OB could figure out time travel and go back and fix this.

How many of us were so stoked when Dillard was on the board one pick in front of us. Then he was snatched away. Who in the hell could have ever imagined that trading of picks would lead to this disaster. If Clowney doesnt report every press conference will still be clowney talk. It'll eat OB alive.

Johnson is the RT with Philly who started out his football career as a QB right ? Could he be an effective LT ?
I'll bet your GM Howie Roseman would start drooling at the thought of an opportuniy to deal with Bill O'brien in this situation ?

Yep. He probably would but he has arguably been one of the best RTs in the league for the past few years so they haven't messed with his position much.
Howie is the master of the deal but in general his signings/trades have been a bit less splashy who knows. We don't have a lot of cap room next year.

I'm no fan of Clowney. I think he's a good player, but I think his knee is a ticking timebomb and I wouldn't want to commit the type of money you have to pay to keep a guy like that.

Also, I don't want JJ Watt looking at his contract and saying "What about me? Am I not worth MORE than this?" Then you have JJ disgruntled, which is DEFINITELY where you don't want to be. IIRC didn't we hear rumblings that JJ didn't really care for Clowney? I'm not trying to create a fake narrative here, but I'm not entirely sure that part of the reason the Texans organization doesn't want to resign Clowney is because Watt doesn't want him here? I've heard of crazier things.

I don't believe in BOB (based on what I've seen from him so far) but I don't have the hatred and vitriol for him that a lot of the TT members do. However, the Texans/BOB/Whoever is "calling the shots" have completely mismanaged this situation to an unacceptable degree. This is not some sort of opinion that I have, this is fact. I have never even heard of a franchise tagged player with all the leverage against an organization. How does that even happen? Completely unacceptable and incompetent. If I'm Cal, I'm furious. Everything from Gaine to Clowney has been so dysfunctional and screwed up, it's kinda hard to believe.

Real issues like Brandon Brooks ? Or Aaron Hernandez?

I kind of think it's silly to ding a guy for not being perfect off the field.

Look at Belichick. He makes it work with guys like Josh Gordon

I agree. Winning can make just about any dysfunctional situation work.

I'm not picking on you when I'm going to say this because I hear so many people use Belichick as an example and it kinda drives me nuts.

There is only one Bill Belichick and by hook or by crook, he's the best coach in the league. He is the outlier, not the typical example. Don't compare your team to BB's team. He's a once in a generation coach that won't be matched.

I'm not picking on you when I'm going to say this because I hear so many people use Belichick as an example and it kinda drives me nuts.

There is only one Bill Belichick and by hook or by crook, he's the best coach in the league. He is the outlier, not the typical example. Don't compare your team to BB's team. He's a once in a generation coach that won't be matched.

But he's not the only example. After the fact we learned Marvin Harrison is a terrible person. Still he won a super bowl.

Foster also was a difficult player who kubiak worked with to help the team.

OBriens method doesn't work imo. He likes hard workers like hoyer but they aren't good players.

Look man, I get it, you hate BOB. You make it painfully obvious in almost every post. I’m just saying there are legit issues with Clowney behind the scenes. I’m not saying BOB is right or justified in his actions, only that there are legitimate issues from Clowney’s side as well.

"..There's always a difference when you're talking about money, relative to wanting him on the team."

What the heck does this even mean? Why does he always say relative to?
I LOLd when I read this because I was thinking the same thing. He basically rambled on but didn’t answer the question.

“The contract stuff is difficult because a players value may be different than what the team can afford, but JD as a player, we absolutely want him in Houston.”

Could easily have answered it similar to this.

"..There's always a difference when you're talking about money, relative to wanting him on the team."

What the heck does this even mean? Why does he always say relative to?

We are not signing him to a long term contract because that will require a lot of guaranteed money. Money, most of which, we are not prepared to eat as Dead Cap $ because JD is gone, if not this year, then next year.

We are not signing him to a long term contract because that will require a lot of guaranteed money. Money, most of which, we are not prepared to eat as Dead Cap $ because JD is gone, if not this year, then next year.

I'm actually ok with that logic. Also they are already paying Watt and mercilus can be a discount clowney. That leaves money for other positions.

But if that was the case they should have traded him long ago.

I don't know that it started there because they went through the same thing a year before regarding a roster bonus. I think the whole thing started w/ the 'worker bee' comments that BOB leaked in February. I've seen it said here (not directed at you banned) that there isn't a market for JD because we've been trying to trade him all along and there hasn't been any takers. The problem with that is that we clearly weren't trying to trade JD early on. Why would you leak it out that the guy you're about to trade isn't a worker bee?

So it was a threat in negotiating his extension that the franchise tag was coming if he wasn't more reasonable about the contract he wanted. Say what you will about Clowney wanting more than he was worth, but he isn't the one that started with the ugly. If you're BOB, keep it in the back of your mind while negotiating w/ JD that you wouldn't mind trading him if things don't work out because he doesn't work as hard as you'd like. Play nice, don't say anything and JD signs the tag and you trade him if you have to and hopefully work w/ him to go where he wants to go. Don't go blabbing to the world that the guy you're negotiating w/ is lazy and needs to prove himself. That's how you get things off to a bad start and it's the beginning of why we are where we are today.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/18/texans-jadeveon-clowney-worker-bee-avoid-franchise-tag/

Some will ignore this.

I'm no fan of Clowney. I think he's a good player, but I think his knee is a ticking timebomb and I wouldn't want to commit the type of money you have to pay to keep a guy like that.

Also, I don't want JJ Watt looking at his contract and saying "What about me? Am I not worth MORE than this?" Then you have JJ disgruntled, which is DEFINITELY where you don't want to be. IIRC didn't we hear rumblings that JJ didn't really care for Clowney? I'm not trying to create a fake narrative here, but I'm not entirely sure that part of the reason the Texans organization doesn't want to resign Clowney is because Watt doesn't want him here? I've heard of crazier things.

I don't believe in BOB (based on what I've seen from him so far) but I don't have the hatred and vitriol for him that a lot of the TT members do. However, the Texans/BOB/Whoever is "calling the shots" have completely mismanaged this situation to an unacceptable degree. This is not some sort of opinion that I have, this is fact. I have never even heard of a franchise tagged player with all the leverage against an organization. How does that even happen? Completely unacceptable and incompetent. If I'm Cal, I'm furious. Everything from Gaine to Clowney has been so dysfunctional and screwed up, it's kinda hard to believe.
what leverage does he have? Seriously.

He’s using it now. Texans can’t do squat until he signs and he’s making it known publicly that he doesn’t want to play for the dolphins. The more noise he makes about not wanting to go there the less likely they will trade for him. Seems his leverage is working to me.

I wonder how Belichick would have handled reported leaks of a trade from anyone on his staff?

He’s using it now. Texans can’t do squat until he signs and he’s making it known publicly that he doesn’t want to play for the dolphins. The more noise he makes about not wanting to go there the less likely they will trade for him. Seems his leverage is working to me.
I get all that but no agreement has been reached. He hasnt turned down anything tangible. Any player not agreeing to sign a tender can do what they want...except play football and earn a check. His leverage supposedly can stop a trade to a team he doesn’t want to go to but it also damn sure hasn’t gotten him an agreement to a team he doesn’t want to play for nor traded to a team he wants to go to. Didn’t even “leverage” an agreeable offer from them. He now appears in a weaker position than before. Why? Because the only real leverage is the Texans controlling his rights...and the leverage the other 31 teams can apply as to his value.

Look man, I get it, you hate BOB. You make it painfully obvious in almost every post. I’m just saying there are legit issues with Clowney behind the scenes. I’m not saying BOB is right or justified in his actions, only that there are legitimate issues from Clowney’s side as well.
Lol the issues with OB are far greater than those with clowney

Well, evidently hes the only hope for a legitimate tackle on offense. Anyone wonder how this D will be without Clowney. Everyone worried about his knee? Will JJ hold up for year. What if we have no clowney or JJ on defense. OB was really banking on Miller at rb. Now we got nothing at rb. Cleveland trash at rb our bell cow lol.

Last edited:
Miami wants more than Clowney and a 1st for Tunsil? We might be crazy, but let's hope we're not that crazy. Even Clowney and a 1st is too much, now that we've discovered Johnson at LT. We will have to trade Clowney, but lot's get a fair value in exchange.

Well, evidently hes the only hope for a legitimate tackle on offense. Anyone wonder how this D will be without Clowney. Everyone worried about his knee? Will JJ hold up for year. What if we have no clowney or JJ on defense. OB was really banking on Miller at rb. Now we got nothing at rb. Cleveland trash at rb our bell cow lol.
Well you can wonder/worry how injuries effect any position on any team. Can’t help that. I still want to understand this alleged trade offer for Tunsil. Haven’t seen anything about it anywhere except from the Miami Herald article which only cited two “league sources” as evidence. Who knows what’s really going on but you’d think these kind of terms would get trade offers for Clowney elsewhere. Who knows, but if Clowney won’t go to Miami why is the Herald still pumping up the alleged Texans offer? Maybe for a trade for Tunsil to another willing trade partner? Edit. I mean if the Texans would offer Clowney and a one why aren’t the Eagles calling? Even for Dillard? And he wants to go there so would be likely to sign an extension. Odd to me.

Last edited:
If Clowney does get traded, I sure won’t miss these Clowney threads.

I LOLd when I read this because I was thinking the same thing. He basically rambled on but didn’t answer the question.

“The contract stuff is difficult because a players value may be different than what the team can afford, but JD as a player, we absolutely want him in Houston.”

Could easily have answered it similar to this.

Sounds like you’d make a better GM than the guy that’s fumbling around now.

Miami wants more than Clowney and a 1st for Tunsil? We might be crazy, but let's hope we're not that crazy. Even Clowney and a 1st is too much, now that we've discovered Johnson at LT. We will have to trade Clowney, but lot's get a fair value in exchange.

Just a first rounder for him is nuts imo. The Texans are not a contending team, this could be a very high pick. Tunsil has had one decent year. People are projecting him to be elite but that's no guarantee

. . . if the Texans would offer Clowney and a one why aren’t the Eagles calling? Even for Dillard? And he wants to go there so would be likely to sign an extension. Odd to me.

This. if we’re offering Clowney and a 1 for a left tackle, surely there teams out there with a bona fide LT they’d want to swap. Where are they? I mean, Clowney AND a first round pick?

Well you can wonder/worry how injuries effect any position on any team. Can’t help that. I still want to understand this alleged trade offer for Tunsil. Haven’t seen anything about it anywhere except from the Miami Herald article which only cited two “league sources” as evidence. Who knows what’s really going on but you’d think these kind of terms would get trade offers for Clowney elsewhere. Who knows, but if Clowney won’t go to Miami why is the Herald still pumping up the alleged Texans offer? Maybe for a trade for Tunsil to another willing trade partner? Edit. I mean if the Texans would offer Clowney and a one why aren’t the Eagles calling? Even for Dillard? And he wants to go there so would be likely to sign an extension. Odd to me.

Dillard was a first round pick and he actually looks good.

Why would they take a first round pick and a rental or an expensive DE for him? The next first round pick they use could be a bust.

Again people keep trying to downplay Clowney's value but even mack didn't get a good LT in return. Clowney is on the verge of free agency and he can leave. That makes him less valuable than a guy under team control. That's why the Texans should have traded clowney when he still had one year on his rookie contract and teams had more assurance they could keep him.

Clowney is a top 10 edge player. Just because the tag and O'Brien have driven down his trade value doesn't mean he won't get a $100m contract whenever he reaches free agency. Why would a team pay picks when they can just wait for him to hit the market?

And weren't you the one saying a third for Dillard is too much? That Tytus is better? Now you want to trade a first for Dillard? Freaking lol man.

Looks like Clowney won’t be taking his talents to South Beach after all; adamant he doesn’t want to play here. Damn shame too because I feel like he was the missing piece to fielding a pretty damned good defense.

Last question and I’ll hit the road; so what’s the situation with Clowney? He wants a new contract and the Texans haven’t even made him an offer? Just slapped him with the franchise tag?

Good luck to you guys this season. Talented team; that kid Watson is a winner and going to continue getting better. You got a good one. Think it’s going to come down to you and the Jags for the division. I’m a Watson fan so I’m pulling for you guys. Enjoy the season fellas

Back