Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Mock Draft thread - 2023

Football fast is different than track fast. Metchie is a strong route runner who’s fast enough once behind coverage.
Metchie isn't fast by nfl wr standards. That doesn't mean he can't get open, but I don't see him beating cbs, especially guys on the outside. He's strictly a slot wr from watching him. He doesn't have that gear to run by people or create that separation and that was before the health issues

Only valid take from this would be two players I’d be happy with @ #12 #33 #65 #73. After that you reset your board after day 2 for day 3. But yeah, these picks would follow my own clusters fairly close.

NFL Mock Database draft, traded a bunch, impossible to get this in real life, but fun in fantasy

5 Bryce Young QB | Alabama
6 Will Anderson Jr.EDGE | Alabama
20 Quentin Johnston WR | TCU
27 Calijah Kancey DL | Pittsburgh
55 Jack Campbell LB | Iowa
65 Joe Tippmann IOL | Wisconsin
73 Tucker Kraft TE | South Dakota State
104 Jaylon Jones CB | Texas A&M
105 Ji'Ayir Brown S | Penn State
130 Roschon Johnson RB | Texas
188 Ricky Stromberg IOL | Arkansas
201 Riley Moss CB | Iowa
203 Carter Warren OT | Pittsburgh
230 Ronnie Bell WR | Michigan
259 Cameron Young DL | Mississippi State

NFL Mock Database draft, traded a bunch, impossible to get this in real life, but fun in fantasy

5 (2) Bryce Young QB | Alabama
6 Will Anderson Jr.EDGE | Alabama
20 (12) Quentin Johnston WR | TCU
27 Calijah Kancey DL | Pittsburgh
55 (33) Jack Campbell LB | Iowa
65 Joe Tippmann IOL | Wisconsin
73 Tucker Kraft TE | South Dakota State
104 Jaylon Jones CB | Texas A&M
105 Ji'Ayir Brown S | Penn State
130 Roschon Johnson RB | Texas
188 Ricky Stromberg IOL | Arkansas
201 Riley Moss CB | Iowa
203 Carter Warren OT | Pittsburgh
230 Ronnie Bell WR | Michigan
259 Cameron Young DL | Mississippi State
Made realistic changes, rest solid :logo:

Not sure I agree with how this board falls but I certainly wouldn’t mind coming away with this group:

1.2) Bryce Young

1.12) Bijan Robinson

2.33) Quentin Johnston

3.65) Derrick Hall

3.73) Zach Kuntz

4.104) Luke Wypler

Here's my mock 1.0. I'd like to take care of WR before the 5th round, but it's really difficult to fill every weakness. I did bring in help at TE and RB to help the new QB, and I think next year WR becomes a priority in round 1 when it looks like a better class. I prioritized fixing the weak area in the middle of the line - it was between Jalin Hyatt and JMS for me.
  • 2 Bryce Young
    QB Alabama

• 12. Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia

• 33. John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• 65. Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• 73. Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• 104. Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane

• 161. Rakim Jarrett
    WR Maryland

• 188. Marte Mapu
    LB Sacramento StateMcCormick

OBA_TRANS.png
  • 201.Dante Stills
    DT West Virginia

• 203. Juice Scruggs
    OC Penn State

• 230. Anthony Johnson Jr.
    S Iowa State

• 259. Connor Galvin
    OT Baylor

One of the more realistic mocks, as far as player availability goes. I like the fact that a lot of the day 3 picks can contribute on special teams.

Here's my mock 1.0. I'd like to take care of WR before the 5th round, but it's really difficult to fill every weakness. I did bring in help at TE and RB to help the new QB, and I think next year WR becomes a priority in round 1 when it looks like a better class. I prioritized fixing the weak area in the middle of the line - it was between Jalin Hyatt and JMS for me.
  • 2 Bryce Young
    QB Alabama

• 12. Nolan Smith
    EDGE Georgia

• 33. John Michael Schmitz
    OC Minnesota

• 65. Julius Brents
    CB Kansas State

• 73. Sam LaPorta
    TE Iowa

• 104. Tyjae Spears
    RB Tulane

• 161. Rakim Jarrett
    WR Maryland

• 188. Marte Mapu
    LB Sacramento StateMcCormick

OBA_TRANS.png
  • 201.Dante Stills
    DT West Virginia

• 203. Juice Scruggs
    OC Penn State

• 230. Anthony Johnson Jr.
    S Iowa State

• 259. Connor Galvin
    OT Baylor

Great mock. We are pretty well aligned on player/position.

PFN has some outlandish trade offers with current players now. In this mock the Colts offered pick 4, 35, 79 and Deforest Buckner to move up to pick 2 and take Anthony Richardson.

I then traded pick 12, 65 and a 3rd next year to Atlanta for 8 to take Levis. Total results below. No way an elite DT gets traded to a division rival. But that new DL would be instantly elite! Added a supporting cast to give Levis a fighting chance at development whenever the team thinks he’s ready to grab the baton from Keenum. This roster would compete for the division with Keenum or Levis at QB. Maybe even Mills!

Tyree Wilson
EDGE Texas Tech
trade icon
HOU

Will Levis
QB Kentucky
trade icon
HOU

John Michael Schmitz
OC Minnesota
HOU

Jalin Hyatt
WR Tennessee
trade icon
HOU

Julius Brents
CB Kansas State
HOU

Sam LaPorta
TE Iowa
trade icon
HOU

DeMarvion Overshown
LB Texas
HOU

K.J. Henry
EDGE Clemson

HOU

Andrei Iosivas
WR Princeton
HOU

Juice Scruggs
OC Penn State
HOU

Jason Taylor II
S Oklahoma State
HOU

Karl Brooks
DT Bowling Green
HOU

Marte Mapu
LB Sacramento State

DT D.Buckner

We should start an "all injured" Texans mock draft. We all know they love to pick injured guys...

On further thought, your submissions should also include at least 1 te (healthy or hurt.) We know they can't resist the position.

Participants are nearly guaranteed to get 1 selection right. Odds are better then anything you'll find in Vegas.

We should start an "all injured" Texans mock draft. We all know they love to pick injured guys...

On further thought, your submissions should also include at least 1 te (healthy or hurt.) We know they can't resist the position.

Participants are nearly guaranteed to get 1 selection right. Odds are better then anything you'll find in Vegas.
Well, that will start with JSN, Hendon Hooker, and Andrew Vorhees for sure.

I think we should also include one player drafted way too high.

Got out of 2 and 12 with some nice returns. Added much needed RD2 and RD3 picks in this draft. Also walked away with the Raiders 2024 RD1 as well.

MOCK
1-014: DE- Lukas Van Ness (Iowa) **Solid answer for DL**
1-019: QB- Hendon Hooker (Tennessee) **Stock is rising fast down the stretch**

2-033: WR- Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee) **Exciting TN connection in Houston**
2-038: OC- John Michael-Schmitz (Minnesota) **Instant answer at Center**
2-043: LB- Jack Campbell (Iowa) **Imposing MLB against the run and he can cover**

3-064: OL- Carl Mauch (North Dakota State) **Blue collar and tough as nails for the OL**
3-065: SS- JL Skinner (Boise State) **Big man in the middle that helps in coverage and run**
3-075: RB- Devon Achane (Texas A&M) **Speed to be a versatile 3rd down back and return man**

4-104: RB- Kendre Miller (TCU) **Injured, but would be a heck of an insurance policy for Pierce or in the event Singletary leaves next season**
4-117: LB- Mohamoud Diabate (Utah) **Solid LB that would benefit from Ryans mentoring**

5-141: DT- Byron Young (Alabama) **Interesting athlete for the DL at 6-3 and 294 pounds. Build him up while taking 20 pounds off his frame and they could have a solid DE or bulk him up a few more pounds and park him in the middle.**
5-158: FB- Hunter Luepke (North Dakota State) **Best FB in the draft…I would include versatile as well. Could do what FB, Tom Rathman did for the 49’ers offense**

13 sacks

If the Houston Texans go heavy with the QB-WR combo to start off the 2023 NFL draft, USC DE Tuli Tuipulotu has to be a consideration.
#33 is a huge pick for Texans with over a dozen possibilities.
Here's a smattering of likely targets:-
John Michael Schmitz
BJ Ojulari
Tui Tuipulotu
Jack Campbell
Trenton Simpson
Adetomiwa Adebawore
Will McDonald IV
Mazi Smith
Jalin Hyatt
Keion White
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
Darnell Washington
Kelee Ringo
Steve Avila

This is huge sweet spot in the draft where I can see a furry of trade activity.

My 2.0 mock draft. I'm dubious about Bryce Young being there, but the simulator gobbled up Richardson and I was all too happy to do the same with Bryce.

My focus was QB, IOL/C, WR, and DL/Edge, then focused on depth/ST guys with some upside.

2 - Bryce Young QB, Alabama
12 - Jaxon Smith-NJigba WR, Ohio State
33 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah Edge, Kansas St.
65 - Joe Tippmann - IOL, Wisconsin
73 - Tuli Tuipulatu - DL USC
104 - Tyler Scott WR, Cincinnati
161 - Luke Schoonmaker TE, Michigan
188 - Terell Smith, CB Minnesota
201 - Ventrell Miller, LB Florida
203 - Demarcco Hellams S, Alabama
230 - Carter Warren OT, Pittsburgh
259 Deneric Prince RB, Tulsa

My last [maybe?] Mock pre-draft no trade downs:

1.2 Tyree Wilson

1.12 Christian Gonzalez

2.33 Hendon Hooker

3.65 Wypler

3.73 Rashee Rice

4.101 Israel Ibanakanda

5- 7 I see Nick Caserio trading up or into 2024 in some combination.

I think we may see more moving around in this draft than ever before.

Peter King mock:

1.2 Tyree Wilson

1.12 Hendon Hooker

I'd be bit more concerned with Wilson's foot injury than Hooker's ACL. Wilson's a big guy who going to put a lot of pressure on his foot working in the trenches. Hooker had a non-contact ACL tear, and like Wilson missed the final 2 games of the CFB season. Both seem ready to go for Camps.....so it's real wait and see.

1.02: LB- Will Anderson Jr

1.12: DE- Lukas Van Ness

I'd be bit more concerned with Wilson's foot injury than Hooker's ACL. Wilson's a big guy who going to put a lot of pressure on his foot working in the trenches. Hooker had a non-contact ACL tear, and like Wilson missed the final 2 games of the CFB season. Both seem ready to go for Camps.....so it's real wait and see.

1.02: LB- Will Anderson Jr

1.12: DE- Lukas Van Ness
I'm with you OP-Tex lets use our top pick this year on a prospect who's healthy and not still rehabbing from a recent injury which
is one important reason why I prefer Anderson to Wilson.
And anymore it seems most teams run hybrid defenses and not a pure base 4-3 or 3-4 and Anderson seems like a more versatile defender plus his production in the more challenging SEC where his entire career was spent is much more impressive than what Wilson had bouncing between A&M and Tech.

My last mock draft before the draft. I only selected players who visited with the Texans:

#2 C.J. Stroud (QB)

#12 JSN (WR)

#33 Felix Anudike-Uzomah (ED)

#65 Luke Wypler (OL)

#73 Darius Rush (CB)

#104 Tyler Steen (OL)

#161 Eric Gray (RB)

#188 Rakim Jarrett (WR)

#201 Marte Mapu (LB/S)

#203 Gervarrius Owens (S)

#230 Dee Winters (LB)

#259 Derek Parish (ED)

My final mock. I selected players that either visited Texans or “fit the mold” of a Shanahan offense and DeMeco defense. I see the Texans making at least two trades in this draft, but for the sake of putting out a clean mock I will omit trade scenarios. I feel like this draft makes the team better. From solid dependable players who do their job to solid dependable players that happen to also be athletic freaks!

1.2 Will Anderson DE Alabama

Best player and cleanest prospect in the draft. A cornerstone type player that speeds up the process of DeMeco building a defense to be feared.

1.12 Hendon Hooker QB Tennessee

I think the Texans will try to trade up for Levis if he’s still there around 8-9 range. But I think if they stick and pick at 2 and go Anderson then they are grabbing QB next. Hooker may be considered a “reach” here but if the team likes him then go ahead and get him. He’s not a day 1 starter but hopefully Case/Mills can hold things down until he’s ready.

2.33 John Michael-Schmitz C Minnesota

Rock solid ten year starter at center. Solidifies the OL as a strength of this team. If Kenyon Green makes a jump in year two and plays up to his draft status this could be the best Texan OL since Kubiak was coach.

3.65 Julius Brents CB Kansas St.

Incredible measurables. A slightly less athletic (but still super athletic) yet more polished Tariq Woolen. Would be able to match up against the bigger X WRs in the league and could even be deployed against the premiere pass catching TEs. Quality depth behind Stingley/Steven Nelson this year and ready to be the full time starter year two after Nelson’s contract expires.

3.73 Tank Dell WR/KR/PR/Weapon Houston

The Texans have shown tons of interest in Tank Dell. They visited with him at the combine, pro day, local prospect day and had a top 30 visit. He doesn’t fit the typical mold of a Shanahan WR. You aren’t going to ask him to run block like Robert Woods and Noah Brown. But he is a weapon that is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. I see the Texans manufacturing touches for him to provide a spark for this offense. He will also be the primary KR/PR and Frank Ross will pound the table for him to become one of the best return men in the league.

4.104 DeMarvion Overshown LB Texas

Former safety turned LB. Physical profile matches up very favorably to Fred Warner. DeMeco has a track record of success developing LBs. That’s why I didn’t take a shot at Trenton Simpson at 33. I’d love to take a chance and see if DeMeco can mold this ball of clay into that same caliber player as Fred Warner or Dre Greenlaw.

5.161 Payne Durham TE Purdue

What’s a draft without a 5th round TE? Durham would be a steal at this slot. NFL Mock Draft database has him going in the 6th. But he would be an excellent TE2 option with upside to take over next season if the team does not re-sign Schultz.

6.188 Ronnie Bell WR Michigan

One of my favorite late rounders. Team captain, coaches dream type player. Tough, smart, dependable and a gritty run blocker. A Robert Woods type of player. Will excel on ST and provide quality depth at WR.

6.201 Marte Mapu LB/S Sacramento St.

The Texans have done a lot of work on Mapu. An athletic player. Not sure what would be his best position but he’s a football player through and through. Will be a special teams demon while finding his niche on defense. Frank Ross is going to have a lot of say in these day three picks.

6.203 Dylan Horton DE TCU

Talented pass rusher, could work his way into Ogbo’s old designated pass rusher role.

7.230 Anthony Johnson S Iowa St

Team captain has started at both CB and safety. Not afraid to lay a hit. Will be in the mix to play meaningful snaps at safety as well as be a special teams star.

7.259 John Ojukwu OL Boise St

50+ starts at both tackle positions, better fit inside in the NFL. Former HS wrestler (love that in OL) and plays with a mean streak in the run game. Has ideal size/length for position could compete as a quality backup.

My final mock. I selected players that either visited Texans or “fit the mold” of a Shanahan offense and DeMeco defense. I see the Texans making at least two trades in this draft, but for the sake of putting out a clean mock I will omit trade scenarios. I feel like this draft makes the team better. From solid dependable players who do their job to solid dependable players that happen to also be athletic freaks!

Best player and cleanest prospect in the draft. A cornerstone type player that speeds up the process of DeMeco building a defense to be feared.

I think the Texans will try to trade up for Levis if he’s still there around 8-9 range. But I think if they stick and pick at 2 and go Anderson then they are grabbing QB next. Hooker may be considered a “reach” here but if the team likes him then go ahead and get him. He’s not a day 1 starter but hopefully Case/Mills can hold things down until he’s ready.

Rock solid ten year starter at center. Solidifies the OL as a strength of this team. If Kenyon Green makes a jump in year two and plays up to his draft status this could be the best Texan OL since Kubiak was coach.

Incredible measurables. A slightly less athletic (but still super athletic) yet more polished Tariq Woolen. Would be able to match up against the bigger X WRs in the league and could even be deployed against the premiere pass catching TEs. Quality depth behind Stingley/Steven Nelson this year and ready to be the full time starter year two after Nelson’s contract expires.

The Texans have shown tons of interest in Tank Dell. They visited with him at the combine, pro day, local prospect day and had a top 30 visit. He doesn’t fit the typical mold of a Shanahan WR. You aren’t going to ask him to run block like Robert Woods and Noah Brown. But he is a weapon that is a threat to score anytime he touches the ball. I see the Texans manufacturing touches for him to provide a spark for this offense. He will also be the primary KR/PR and Frank Ross will pound the table for him to become one of the best return men in the league.

Former safety turned LB. Physical profile matches up very favorably to Fred Warner. DeMeco has a track record of success developing LBs. That’s why I didn’t take a shot at Trenton Simpson at 33. I’d love to take a chance and see if DeMeco can mold this ball of clay into that same caliber player as Fred Warner or Dre Greenlaw.

What’s a draft without a 5th round TE? Durham would be a steal at this slot. NFL Mock Draft database has him going in the 6th. But he would be an excellent TE2 option with upside to take over next season if the team does not re-sign Schultz.

One of my favorite late rounders. Team captain, coaches dream type player. Tough, smart, dependable and a gritty run blocker. A Robert Woods type of player. Will excel on ST and provide quality depth at WR.

The Texans have done a lot of work on Mapu. An athletic player. Not sure what would be his best position but he’s a football player through and through. Will be a special teams demon while finding his niche on defense. Frank Ross is going to have a lot of say in these day three picks.

Talented pass rusher, could work his way into Ogbo’s old designated pass rusher role.

Team captain has started at both CB and safety. Not afraid to lay a hit. Will be in the mix to play meaningful snaps at safety as well as be a special teams star.

50+ starts at both tackle positions, better fit inside in the NFL. Former HS wrestler (love that in OL) and plays with a mean streak in the run game. Has ideal size/length for position could compete as a quality backup.
That's pretty solid. Would not be disappointed with this draft.

That's pretty solid. Would not be disappointed with this draft.

Thanks! Ideally the team will grab at least one more DL on day two or round four (maybe package some of their late picks or acquire another top 100 ish pick).

But as I was going through the slots I was having trouble finding one that would have a solid chance of making the team. Would not be surprised if they take another DE or go DT with a third or fourth if the draft were to fall this way. I expect DeMeco to want to beef up the trenches using quality picks.

I like Brents and Overshown’s potential as pros. And Tank’s potential as a 6-8 touch/game weapon for a team in need of explosive playmakers with the current allotment of 3-4 picks.

I got three of the players! *pats self on back*

Back