Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Johnny "Football" Manziel NFL thread

Do any of you have bipolar disorder or know somebody that does? That doesn't even take into account the depression and alcohol abuse. I'm surprised that Johnny Manziel is still alive much less trying to resurrect his football career. The young man has one more chance. He should consider it a blessing from above. I hope he can work hard and ignore all the haters. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people say. It's up to him to turn his life around.
yes, I do. They take meds to stay on top of it so they can live a "normal life" (define that as you wish).
They can be a little 'different' but I've never seen them be abusive. ...self-destructive when they slack off their meds but never abusive.

Manziel announced that he is supposedly 90 days sober, and 1 year remote from illicit drugs. Bipolar disease, as has been mentioned, is a tough condition, but does not explain all of Manziel's past behavior. Besides the typical "trying to stay straight," one of his biggest challenges will be not only staying on his drugs life-long (a feat that does not come easy, as many bipolars get to a point where they become confident that they do not need medication any longer and stop them)..................but also to recognize when the drugs are losing their effectiveness and report this to their physician (these medications must commonly be adjusted or changed, as their efficacy changes over time and/or life situations).

The problems with Manziel’s comments about the Browns
April 4, 2018, 6:41 PM EDT

Earlier today, we posted an item based on a quote from Johnny Manziel that had been pushed to Twitter by Andrew Perloff of The Dan Patrick Show, during Dan’s interview of Manziel. Some took issue with this, claiming that the comments were “taken out of context,” twisted to support a predetermined narrative.

This is a claim that emerges from time to time in the sports world, a second cousin once removed of the”fake news” shout, from those who prefer to ignore the words that came from someone’s mouth. Manziel’s words weren’t “taken out of context”; it was an isolated quote that has the same meaning in context as it has out of context.

The meaning, inescapably, is this: Manziel thinks that the Browns should have known that he wasn’t going to study film, that he wasn’t going to work hard, and that he was simply going to wing it. To understand the problems with these remarks, it’s important to consider the broader context that emerged in early 2014.

Manziel worked very hard before the 2014 draft to create the impression that he’s a hard worker. He specifically refrained from the Super Bowl-week car wash, during which he would have made tens of thousands of dollars promoting products at Radio Row, because he supposedly was fully focused on football. He routinely declined interviews prior to the draft for that same reason. His trip to the Nike facility in Oregon raised eyebrows because it represented a rare break from the full-football focus.

Four years later, Manziel essentially wants to adjust the “fool me once, shame on you” adage to “fool me once, shame on me.” He fooled the Browns, and now — in that one isolated but fully accurate portion of his interview — he blamed the Browns for getting fooled.

“If Cleveland did any of their homework they would have known I wasn’t a guy who came in every day and watched film,” Manziel said. “I wasn’t a guy who really knew the X’s and O’s of football.”

How is the phrase “if Cleveland did any of their homework” anything other than a slap at Cleveland for not figuring out that Manziel was lying to them? Does anyone think that Manziel, when meeting with the Browns (or anyone else) in the pre-draft process said, “I’m not a guy who came in every day and watched film” and “I’m not a guy who really knows the X’s and O’s of football”? He surely said the opposite, which definitely means he was saying what he needed to say in order to get drafted as high as possible.

The broader context of Manziel’s comments includes the contention that he had no one in Cleveland to help him understand what it takes to be a successful pro quarterback. First, why did he need someone to take him by the hand and show him that he needs to study film and work hard to master a playbook? Isn’t that fairly obvious? Second, through his agent and other contacts in and around the NFL, Manziel could have been (and supposedly was) doing everything he could from January until May to figure out what he needs to do in order to be successful in the NFL. Third, Manziel said later in the interview that, when Josh McCown joined the Browns in 2015, McCown showed Manziel how it’s done. So why did Manziel, who also had a new offensive coordinator in 2015, still flame out of the NFL after what was only his second season?

While most of the interview revealed a guy who now seems to be much more self-aware and mature than he ever was during his NFL career, any explanation for his failure in Cleveland other than “I chose partying over football” suggests that he truly hasn’t come to terms with why his career fell apart before it could get started. It’s not the Browns’ fault that things didn’t work out; it’s his fault. If he had chosen football over partying, he’d possibly still be the quarterback in Cleveland — and the Browns likely would have won many more than four games over the last three seasons combined.

I’m rooting for Manziel to stay sober, I’m rooting for him to tear up the Spring League, and I’m rooting for him to get back to the NFL. His success would provide a clear example of redemption and hope for millions of Americans struggling with addiction. Any effort, however, to put blame on anyone other than himself for everything that went wrong during his NFL career makes me wonder whether he truly has overcome these issues, and whether he’s truly ready to embark on a successful football career.

If we're being honest though, the Browns should have known. It was obvious that Manziel was going to flop. He had more red flags than just about any prospect in recent history. I still can't wrap my head around the fact he was drafted in the first round.

AUSTIN, Texas -- Quarterback Johnny Manziel played in a football game Saturday for the first time in 832 days, a modest step in his long road back to elite-level football.

Playing the equivalent of two quarters at a high school stadium, Manziel threw one touchdown pass but was also sacked three times in a Spring League game. The outing followed nine days of practice among 170 players who paid a fee to participate in the Spring League, which bills itself as a developmental league that provides opportunities for players who are not on NFL rosters but hope to be.

Johnny Manziel played in a football game for the first time in almost three years Saturday, hoping to garner interest from NFL teams. Eric Gay/AP Photo
Manziel completed his first seven passes and finished with nine completions in 15 attempts for 82 yards. He said he was frustrated with the sloppy nature of the game, which had the appearance of the fourth quarter of an NFL preseason contest, but made it clear he was thrilled to return to the field.

"It's disappointing, some of the things that happened," he said, "but nevertheless, it's a huge step for me. I put pads back on. A lot of people wrote me off just to even get to this point. I'm definitely emotional about it. I'm definitely happy about it. This isn't the end goal for me, but I'm having fun again. I have a smile on my face."

The league has one more set of games scheduled for Thursday, after which Manziel hopes to receive interest from NFL teams. If not, he has said he likely will make a two-year commitment to play in the Canadian Football League.LINK

CFL for two years might get him back in the NFL in a back up role if he does well and stays on the straight and marry.

Johnny Manziel hospitalized for prescription medication issue, report says
***********************************************************************************
After his lithium (medication for bipolar disease) dose was adjusted/increased. Has since been released. Lithium is not a benign drug. Blood levels must be followed closely to maintain proper balance of therapeutic and side effects caused by too little or too much. Same side effects can occur if a patient is non compliant with this medication.

Johnny Manziel hospitalized for prescription medication issue, report says
***********************************************************************************
After his lithium (medication for bipolar disease) dose was adjusted/increased. Has since been released. Lithium is not a benign drug. Blood levels must be followed closely to maintain proper balance of therapeutic and side effects caused by too little or too much. Same side effects can occur if a patient is non compliant with this medication.

this goof will only succeed in the CFL

Cambodian Football League

Johnny ManzielVerified account@JManziel2
Made the decision today to sign my contract with the CFL and further my football career after a long break. Very grateful for everyone that’s been supporting me along the way. I believe this is the best opportunity for me moving forward and I’m eager for what the future holds.

He will be playing for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

Reactions: JB
Not a good CFL debut for Johnny Manziel.
It's going to be a long road back to the NFL.

Johnny Manziel made his first career start in the CFL for the Montreal Alouettes, against his former team the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and he threw four interceptions all in the first half of the Alouettes’ loss. Manziel says after the game that he can either let this performance hurt him or he can “take this on the chin like a man” and never let it happen again.

Johnny Manziel’s first half of CFL action is a complete disaster
August 3, 2018, 8:55 PM EDT

Johnny Manziel is in the midst of his first start in the Canadian Football League. It is not going well.

Manziel has thrown four interceptions in the first half, and his Montreal Alouettes are trailing the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 38-3.

Although Manziel has shown some of the good mobility and capable arm that made him a star at Texas A&M, he has also made a couple of truly boneheaded throws, the kinds of throws that no quarterback at any level of football should make. Yes, Manziel hasn’t had much time to learn Montreal’s playbook, having recently been traded to Montreal from Hamilton, but even if he doesn’t know all the plays, he should know not to throw the ball directly into an opposing player’s hands.

Manziel is committed to the CFL for two years, and one half of football is far too soon to make any real judgments about what kind of player he’s going to be. But this has been an ugly half of football.

Way to go Ryan!! Everyone I know are pulling for him. It would probably amount to a real mirical if he ever plays pro ball again, but ya never know they do happen.

Way to go Ryan!! Everyone I know are pulling for him. It would probably amount to a real mirical if he ever plays pro ball again, but ya never know they do happen.

If I was him and I recovered enough of my dexterity to even make me think I could play pro ball again...I wouldn't. I would thank the Lord above for a miraculous recovery and live out the rest of my normal life with my normal abilities intact.

LOL, my name is Ryan. For a second there I thought you were telling me about Johnny Manziel. Since this is a Johnny Manziel thread.

If I was him and I recovered enough of my dexterity to even make me think I could play pro ball again...I wouldn't. I would thank the Lord above for a miraculous recovery and live out the rest of my normal life with my normal abilities intact.

He hasn't really ever stopped the party lifestyle. I know that from people that were partying with him the next day after he did that big speech on television acting like he has changed and was bipolar. He'll eventually demote down to a VY type of position at Texas, but his will be at A&M. That's what I see in his future. Personally, I think he might as well throw the middle finger up and be that guy, and stop trying to appease everyone. Just be a Dennis Rodman type that does parties, tv shows, and public appearances. Do that, and take part in some football camps and stuff like that, and I think he'd have a decent lifestyle for himself. He was never a prototype to be successful in the NFL any way. He was set up only to be a back up QB at best, and I don't see him ever being the kind of guy that can quietly sit in the shadows as a backup and not become a distraction for teams. The media is part of the reason as well. Him and Kaepernick to some degree as well honestly.

He hasn't really ever stopped the party lifestyle. I know that from people that were partying with him the next day after he did that big speech on television acting like he has changed and was bipolar. He'll eventually demote down to a VY type of position at Texas, but his will be at A&M. That's what I see in his future. Personally, I think he might as well throw the middle finger up and be that guy, and stop trying to appease everyone. Just be a Dennis Rodman type that does parties, tv shows, and public appearances. Do that, and take part in some football camps and stuff like that, and I think he'd have a decent lifestyle for himself. He was never a prototype to be successful in the NFL any way. He was set up only to be a back up QB at best, and I don't see him ever being the kind of guy that can quietly sit in the shadows as a backup and not become a distraction for teams. The media is part of the reason as well. Him and Kaepernick to some degree as well honestly.

I agree on Manziel, but my post you quoted was in response to Edo's post on Ryan Shazier.. yeah I know, threads got crossed. :)

He looked about how he looked like in his limited time in the NFL and that was the ceiling I had for him. At no point did i ever see his particular style of play translating to the NFL level; not with his mearsurables anyway. I honestly feel kinda feel sorry for dude now. He's trying, but you can always see when a player loses confidence & those clips of him on the sideline look nothing like those clips of him on the sideline at A&M.

This time, Manziel managed not only to be booted by his CFL team, but to be barred from playing for any CFL team. The CFL is not saying why they are taking this stance, but you can look back at his history and pick out several likely scenarios for his release.

CFL directs Alouettes to release QB Manziel

The Canadian Press

The Johnny Manziel experiment is over.

The CFL terminated the former Heisman Trophy winner's contract with the Montreal Alouettes on Wednesday. The league also informed the eight remaining clubs that it wouldn't register a contract for Manziel if any tried to sign him.

The league said Manziel had contravened an agreement that made the Texan eligible to play in the CFL.

"We advised Montreal that Johnny had violated one of the conditions we had set for him to be in our league. And Montreal announced his release today," CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie said Wednesday in Vancouver. "We didn't release the terms of those conditions then and we're not going to do that now.

"We're trying to do what we believe is in the best interests of the entire league. The conditions we set, we thought were the right ones. Those conditions have been violated and we feel it's best, and Montreal feels its best, to let Johnny move on. And we think it's best for our league that he do the same. And we wish him well."

A posting to Manziel's Twitter feed indicated he was already looking for other opportunities south of the border.

"I want to thank (Alouettes coach Mike Sherman), my teammates, and the CFL fans," Manziel tweeted. "My time there re-established my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States."

I want to thank Coach Sherman, my teammates, and the CFL fans. My time there reestablished my love for the game of football and the work that goes into it. I look forward to exploring new options within the United States.

One option could be Alliance of American Football, which kicked off its inaugural season earlier this month. And Manziel said he was intrigued by the prospect of playing in either the AAF or Xtreme Football League, which begins operation next year.

https://deadspin.com/either-johnny-manziels-wife-is-the-fastest-runner-in-re-1832967146
Two weeks ago, Bre Tiesi-Manziel—fitness Instagrammer, model, and wife of former CFLer Johnny Manziel—ran what she says was her first half marathon, in what she says was less than two hours. Tiesi-Manziel and her friend Khloe Terae, a model for Playboy and Maxim, came in at 1:58:22 in the Run Like A Diva half marathon on February 16 in Temecula, California. Finishing a half marathon in under two hours (a 9:06 pace per mile) is impressive for someone who had never run such a race before.

I'll be more interested in his relationship with Mike Singletary. Singletary got to play with another loon at QB in McMahon......maybe he'll have a better approach in dealing with this self-destructive loon.

The lowly Memphis team is in desperation mode...............Manziel will probably take advantage, not of his opportunity, but of the team's desperation.

373a4c54c96b51ccc9dd00792700f80e.jpg

Manziel was released and banned from the CFL without formal explanation by the team or league.........except he "contravened the agreement which made him eligible to play in the league." It was revealed that he was required to see a therapist every week, attend mandatory doctor visits, and submit lithium tests each month. Before the CFL allowed Manziel’s first club, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, to sign him last June, they conducted an “assessment by an independent expert on domestic violence (the CFL has a formal policy on violence against women), a review by legal counsel, and an in-person discussion conducted by the Commissioner.”link

It is obvious that throughout his "career" Manziel has shown that he is not capable or not willing to "play by the rules."

It is obvious that throughout his "career" Manziel has shown that he is not capable or not willing to "play by the rules."[/QUOTE]

Those sure were alot of rules.

Mystery as Johnny Manziel's wife completely removes the football bad boy from her Instagram, just days after he signed with an AAF team

Bre Tiesi, the wife of notoriously troubled football professional Johnny Manziel has completely erased him from her Instagram page. The two secretly married in California one year ago.

Link

Dinn Mann‏@mooseoutfront 3h3 hours ago

Johnny Manziel, on Mike Singletary’s watchful eyes: “I had an amazing talk with Coach Singletary the 1st day I got here that changed my perspective on a lot of things. Just looking at what this is, it’s never too late to change, never too late to try to keep bettering your life.”

D2cV995X4AAt4Vv.jpg

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

How many times have we heard similar declarations by Manziel. For those who may want to witness another train wreck, the NFL Network will be televising thef game tonight at 8 pm ET.........and will also be streamed free online.

Johnny Manziel has quit drinking, partying, social media and is totally committed to football.

April Fools.

Dinn Mann‏@mooseoutfront 3h3 hours ago

Johnny Manziel, on Mike Singletary’s watchful eyes: “I had an amazing talk with Coach Singletary the 1st day I got here that changed my perspective on a lot of things. Just looking at what this is, it’s never too late to change, never too late to try to keep bettering your life.”

D2cV995X4AAt4Vv.jpg

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

How many times have we heard similar declarations by Manziel. For those who may want to witness another train wreck, the NFL Network will be televising thef game tonight at 8 pm ET.........and will also be streamed free online.

Come on Cloak, you're missing the main point here. For one, thanks for posting this because I'd never know it otherwise.

Manziel being coached by Singletary? That's entertainment right there. I'm now very interested in seeing how this develops. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Johnny will likely fail and train wreck, but the fall out might be entertaining. How it goes down might be funny considering how ignorant Singletary can get. Also seeing him get in Manziel in check would be funny as hell too. I heard he got injured right away, so it sounds like it wasn't off to a good start.

I can't believe JM is still a topic of conversation unless he's filmed snorting and punching his gf in the same clip

Come on Cloak, you're missing the main point here. For one, thanks for posting this because I'd never know it otherwise.

Manziel being coached by Singletary? That's entertainment right there. I'm now very interested in seeing how this develops. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know Johnny will likely fail and train wreck, but the fall out might be entertaining. How it goes down might be funny considering how ignorant Singletary can get. Also seeing him get in Manziel in check would be funny as hell too. I heard he got injured right away, so it sounds like it wasn't off to a good start.
He sustained a concussion in the 1 st quarter of the game. His past history of alcoholism puts him at risk for abnormally greater traumatic brain injury than one without such history. It also makes him more susceptible for future concussions and longer than usual recoveries.

He sustained a concussion in the 1 st quarter of the game. His past history of alcoholism puts him at risk for abnormally greater traumatic brain injury than one without such history. It also makes him more susceptible for future concussions and longer than usual recoveries.

That's his problem at this point. I just want to see Johnny do some crazy things and somehow play some good football to draw up a circus.

When I went through a long spell of substance abuse and rehab and more substance abuse and more detox and more substance abuse and more rehab, etc, etc ... I also made several 'declerations' like that before whatever changed for me to be able to make things work again. Not sure how many people were actively rooting for a continuation of my trainwrecks though. Not sure how I'd have handled that exactly.

Just hope for him and the remaining people who care about him that this dude can finally make one last declaration before things start to work for him too.

Back