Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Johnny "Football" Manziel NFL thread

Johnny Football in The Big Easy; sounds like a match made in heaven. Maybe he can get a place on Bourbon St.

Rumor has it when the waitress served his order of begnets Jonny buried his face in them like Tony Montana. Then Sean Payton yelled at him to stop and when he saw all the powdered sugar around Sean Peyton mouth Jonny rolled up a $20 and started doing lines off Paytons face.

Or Nah.

...According to Bleacher Report’s Jason Cole, the New Orleans Saints have no interest in signing quarterback Johnny Manziel.

It was almost as if gasoline was used to start a tiny little fire when a report swirled last week of head coach Sean Payton having breakfast with Manziel during Super Bowl week, which quickly escalated into the Saints wanting to sign him. Everyone started drinking the Kool-Aid, including Skip Bayless.

Coincidentally enough, John DeShazier caught up with Payton on Tuesday to talk about Brandin Cooks, Malcolm Butler, and the Manziel hoopla. From the interview, Payton said he was curious to get to know him (Manziel), and that it was the first time he met him.

“It was just a chance for me to visit with him,” Payton told DeShazier......

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...nny-manziel-report-says/ar-BByZdU0?li=BBnba9I

Johnny Manziel has opened up about the non-stop partying and heavy boozing that got him cut from the Cleveland Browns in an interview with Good Morning America.

Manziel tells TJ Holmes at one point in the interview: 'When I would wake up the next day after a night like that going on a trip like that, and you wake up the next day and that is all gone, that liquid courage or that liquid like sense of euphoria that is over you, is all gone. You are left staring at the ceiling by yourself... thinking about all the mistakes you made in your life, what did that get me?

'Where did that get me except out of the NFL? Where did that get me? Disgraced?

Link

Based on his past behavior I'd bet that this is not true. I think he is saying he suffers from bipolar issues to excuse his past and give teams a reason to give him a second chance, in other words it is not true. If he is truly bipolar hopefully he continues to get the help he'll need to get his life together to live a productive life but Jonny being Jonny I'd say it's a ruse and the immature party boy will resurface.

It is a moment of clarity. The only question is did he suddenly come to some insight into his problems or did he simply realize that he wasn't going to get back in without a compelling story like this to tell. It's really hard to tell the difference between the two and at this point I kind of think he's finished for good and just hasn't worked that out yet. He might want to consider that job in Canada because I don't think any of the 32 NFL teams are interested in taking a chance on him at this point.

For his case I hope he has figured out what's wrong with him and is taking the steps to correct it. That will come in handy when he goes out job hunting in the near future in the real world.

Fifty to seventy-five percent of bipolars have problems with substance abuse.

This site explains the association and the dilemna of distinguishing the main problems. One thing we do know is that without total cessation of alcohol and drugs in a controlled environment, there is no way to prove that the underlying problem is bipolar disorder. Drug addicts and alcoholics, as well as bipolars quickly become very adept at hiding the "truth"............and in most cases of bipolar disorder that already is heavily laden with drug and alcohol use, the way out is extremely difficult to impossible.

https://luxury.rehabs.com/drug-addiction/bipolar-disorder/

Reactions: JB
Fifty to seventy-five percent of bipolars have problems with substance abuse.

This site explains the association and the dilemna of distinguishing the main problems. One thing we do know is that without total cessation of alcohol and drugs in a controlled environment, there is no way to prove that the underlying problem is bipolar disorder. Drug addicts and alcoholics, as well as bipolars quickly become very adept at hiding the "truth"............and in most cases of bipolar disorder that already is heavily laden with drug and alcohol use, the way out is extremely difficult to impossible.

https://luxury.rehabs.com/drug-addiction/bipolar-disorder/

Whose 'truth' is very easy to manipulate for us :D

For his case I hope he has figured out what's wrong with him and is taking the steps to correct it. That will come in handy when he goes out job hunting in the near future in the real world.

I don't think we'll see Johnny Manziel working drive-through any time soon.

Reactions: JB
I don't think we'll see Johnny Manziel working drive-through any time soon.

No of course not. The notoriety he has alone pretty much precludes that. He will be looking for a real job though soon enough and whatever it is he ends up doing the people he works with are almost certain to need him sober and in control of himself.

No of course not. The notoriety he has alone pretty much precludes that. He will be looking for a real job though soon enough and whatever it is he ends up doing the people he works with are almost certain to need him sober and in control of himself.

I meant that he is sitting on enough money (last I heard) that he could literally throw it out the window for the rest of his life. A quick drunk google search has him +6mil as of this time last year, without including family money. The closest thing he'll ever have to a real job was his brief stint in the NFL. As with the rich and famous, they can label their faults whatever they want.

Last edited:
I dont think some realize that Manziel isn't the type of athlete that comes from a poor family and he has to support his family thru playing football. The Manziel family was worth a billion dollars before JM even started playing Jr high football.

I dont think some realize that Manziel isn't the type of athlete that comes from a poor family and he has to support his family thru playing football. The Manziel family was worth a billion dollars before JM even started playing Jr high football.
yeah I don't think Manziel will ever be hurting for money. He's hurting for another opportunity to do who he loves almost as much as he loves drinking and being a frat boy. Even if his family were to cut him off he will still generate good income based on his college football success and the frat boy persona. He's the Jersey Shore of athletes. Clubs, promoters & memorabilia types will flock to him and he will rake in the dough regardless if he ever plays football in the NFL, CFL, XFL or Lingerie Football League. Dude is a mess but can still draw a crowd.

yeah I don't think Manziel will ever be hurting for money. He's hurting for another opportunity to do who he loves almost as much as he loves drinking and being a frat boy. Even if his family were to cut him off he will still generate good income based on his college football success and the frat boy persona. He's the Jersey Shore of athletes. Clubs, promoters & memorabilia types will flock to him and he will rake in the dough regardless if he ever plays football in the NFL, CFL, XFL or Lingerie Football League. Dude is a mess but can still draw a crowd.

Yep,

That's the point,

Some people are rooting for JM to end up homeless and broke. (They do this for most athletes.) That's not going to be the case with JM.

Johnny Manziel's Net Worth as of May 2017: $4 Million. The contract with the Browns was worth about $8.25 million, including a $4.3 million signing bonus and about $6.7 million guaranteed. (but then $2 million was later voided), not to mention all of the endoresment money. The $4 million left for a person like Manziel doesn't go very far or last very long.

Last edited:
Johnny Manziel signs deal with Spring League
February 14, 2018, 10:28 AM EST

Comeback Season is beginning for Johnny Manziel in an unlikely place.

At a time when the Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League want Manziel to agree to terms, Manziel has agreed to terms with The Spring League, a short-season developmental league based in the U.S.

“We’re excited to have such a dynamic player in Johhny Manziel taking part in The Spring League,” Brian Woods, CEO of The Spring League, said in a release. “We believe our platform is the ideal forum for Mr. Manziel to enact his NFL comeback.”

Launched last year, The Spring League essentially is a pre-draft showcase for available players who may end up being signed by NFL teams after the draft, ostensibly to fill needs that aren’t satisfied via the process of picking incoming rookies, one round at a time.

In 2016, all Spring League games were played at The Greenbrier, in West Virginia. This year, the games will be played in Austin, with four games played over a two-week period.

Manziel will play for the Spring League South team, with games on Saturday, April 7 and Saturday, April 14.

“Football has been a huge part of my life for as long as I can remember,” Manziel said in the release. “Sometimes you take for granted how much you value something until it’s gone. My goal is to make it back to the NFL and I realize I have to earn that privilege. The Spring League has provided me with a great opportunity to play ball again, and ultimately, that is all I want to do. I miss the competition.”

Why is Manziel pursuing this path? Put simply, teams want to see him in shape and playing, with pads on.

So that’s what they’ll get. Twice.

***************************************************************************************************************************************

The Spring League began last year. This is the results of the league as concerns professional opportunities out of the 105 players that participated.:

The following players signed with NFL or CFL teams following their involvement with The Spring League:

• McLeod Bethel-Thompson, a quarterback, signed with the Toronto Argonauts on May 23. He is currently a backup quarterback, having spent time on the injured list to start the 2017 season. Bethel-Thompson also played as a defensive back, and on special teams during the CFL preseason.[16][1] Bethel-Thompson won the 105th Grey Cup with the Argonauts later in the year.
  • Zeek Bigger, a linebacker, signed with the Carolina Panthers on May 30, after participating in OTAs on a tryout basis.[1][18] Bigger was released at the end of the preseason, but spent two weeks on the Panther's practice squad.
  • Manasseh Garner, a tight end, signed with the Washington Redskins on May 15 following their rookie mini-camp.[1][20] Garner was cut following the preseason, but was signed to the practice squad.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources
  • Cornerback Tyquwan Glass was signed to the Los Angeles Rams on August 22. Glass was released as part of final cuts.
  • Tight end David Grinnage was signed by the Jacksonville Jaguars just prior to the preseason on August 14. Grinnage did not make the team, but was given a spot on Jacksonville's practice squad.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Identifying_reliable_sources
  • Defensive lineman Calvin Heurtelou was signed by the Green Bay Packers on August 21. Heurtelou was waived after the preseason.
  • Daje Johnson, wide receiver, signed with the Ottawa Redblacks. After playing the first three weeks of the regular season on the practice roster, Johnson was promoted to be the starting returner for Week 4. After playing two games, Johnson was placed on the injured list, and was later released on August 9.
  • Wide receiver Jalen Saunders signed with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on May 23. After two weeks on the practice roster, Saunders made his CFL debut in Week 3. Saunders finished the 2017 CFL season with over 1,000 yards receiving.
  • Quarterback Ricky Stanzi signed with the Calgary Stampeders on May 16 as a backup quarterback.
  • Tani Tupou, a fullback/defensive tackle, signed with the Atlanta Falcons on May 14 following their mini-camp. Tupou was the first Spring League player to be signed by a professional team. Tupou was released after the preseason, but was signed to the Falcon's practice squad. He spent time on the active roster (1 game) as well this year.
  • Wide receiver Griff Whalen was signed by the Baltimore Ravens on July 21, following his participation in the Summer Showcase game.Whalen was released following the preseason, but later spent two games with the Ravens before being cut again.

Good to see Johnny start a path back. I just doubt that path will lead to the NFL. He has partied too much and burned too many bridges for people in the NFL to take a chance on him again. CFL might work for him and then MAYBE get back to the NFL as a backup if he does real well there and stays out of trouble.

How does a 'never was' stage a so-called comeback?

This dude is more pathetic than Vince Young.

Clearly He is far more concerned With branding and marketing than putting together a serious effort of getting back into the nfl based on the idiotic ‘comeback szn’.

Manziel has a better chance of making a living out of selling a line of bbq spices called comeback szning that actually have a comeback szn in the nfl.

Good to see Johnny start a path back. I just doubt that path will lead to the NFL. He has partied too much and burned too many bridges for people in the NFL to take a chance on him again. CFL might work for him and then MAYBE get back to the NFL as a backup if he does real well there and stays out of trouble.
I think Gary Kubiak, now a senior personal advisor with the Denver Broncos, would put in a good word for him and perhaps convince John Elway to take a chance on him. If and when he shows he's at that level again. He has a lot to show people during his comeback. We have to give the kid one more chance. If he messes up it's on him. At least he's trying to be honest and get help for his problems.

I think Gary Kubiak, now a senior personal advisor with the Denver Broncos, would put in a good word for him and perhaps convince John Elway to take a chance on him. If and when he shows he's at that level again. He has a lot to show people during his comeback. We have to give the kid one more chance. If he messes up it's on him. At least he's trying to be honest and get help for his problems.

No chance. Kubiak reached out to try to help a kid see and avoid the destructive path he was on, not try to save a potential player that he liked. Manziel has nothing the NFL wants - short, inexperienced, drug/alcohol/criminal history, poor work ethic, entitlement, out of the game for years, cant digest and relay calls quickly, (this list could go on for a while). Manziel can barely catch on with an infant developmental league, and the XFL told him no before they even begin ... his NFL comeback?

No chance. Kubiak reached out to try to help a kid see and avoid the destructive path he was on, not try to save a potential player that he liked. Manziel has nothing the NFL wants - short, inexperienced, drug/alcohol/criminal history, poor work ethic, entitlement, out of the game for years, cant digest and relay calls quickly, (this list could go on for a while). Manziel can barely catch on with an infant developmental league, and the XFL told him no before they even begin ... his NFL comeback?

You mean comeback szn. He's an effing moron, nothing says serious comeback like a line of close with an idiot catchphrase.

Bet he signs on with the Saints.

Well he did supposedly hit a woman so hard her ear drum ruptured and told her to shut up or he’d kill them both.

Not sure about you but if that’s true I’d classify him as a scumbag.

Again, not sure about you but I don’t mind seeing scumbags fail.

Damn. Good response.

That said, I do believe in redemption. Dude was amped up on all kinds of drugs, was spiraling out of control, and might have finally gotten his life back on course. Anyone who knows, or is, an alcoholic knows how easy it can be to fall off the wagon. I guess I'm just trying to hope for the best for the guy. I don't take joy in watching the downfall of people and prefer redemption stories.

Damn. Good response.

That said, I do believe in redemption. Dude was amped up on all kinds of drugs, was spiraling out of control, and might have finally gotten his life back on course. Anyone who knows, or is, an alcoholic knows how easy it can be to fall off the wagon. I guess I'm just trying to hope for the best for the guy. I don't take joy in watching the downfall of people and prefer redemption stories.

I hope he gets his life together as well. I don’t know him personally so I can’t speak to how genuine he is about becoming a Bette person but a lot of people seemed to have liked him so maybe he’s a decent human being that just made some bad choices.

It is estimated that close to 50% of bipolars suffer from alcohol abuse (not even including the abuse of drugs). Either condition alone can carry some very serious consequences. However, when combined, the degree of bipolar severity is usually much greater, with medications being much less effective and the prognosis much poorer. The other point is that Manziel appears to have the worse type of bipolar disorder, rapid cycling with long periods of mania during which time most of the "bad destructive behavior" occurs. Even when medications may be of some help, rapid cyclers commonly take themselves off of them as they believe they are not necessary (just like hardcore alcoholics do not feel they need to quit.) Manziel's condition requires a life long commitment to avoiding "the life style," avoiding drugs and alcohol, and maintaining not only bipolar medication, but also behavioral therapy/12 step............a regimen that most of these people find virtually impossible to maintain for any long period of time. When these people come off of their manic phase, they are high risk for suicide. A friend of mine who deals with people with bipolar disorder related something very interesting about these hardcore cases.............they stop taking there meds because the resulting "high" they describe is an incomparable magnification of the "high" they have ever gotten from cocaine. Chasing an NFL career with all of its temptations is not going to be very conducive to beating his problems, especially if he exposed to significant failures along the way.

I'll hope and pray that he finds his way, but I don't believe it will be by pursuing a return to the NFL.

Johnny Manziel believes XFL may have to change criminal policy

The Texas native believes the XFL might already need to make a change.

WWE CEO Vince McMahon recently announced the return of the XFL in 2020.

As part of the new league, he determined that no player with a criminal past will take part in the league. Former Texas A&M and Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel believes that McMahon will have a hard time finding enough players to fill his teams.

"We'll see [if I ever play in the XFL]. I think he is going to have a very, very hard time finding eight teams or nine teams or however many teams they want with football players that do not have at least something on their record. I would be hard pressed to find what the percentage of people in the NFL are that have, not a hard criminal past, but he said any criminal past," Manziel said on Barstool Sports' 'Pardon My Take' podcast.

According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, Manziel has talked to several league coaches at the NFL Scouting Combine this week about a possible return to the league. Garafolo is reporting that Johnny Football is willing to sign with a team with zero money guaranteed and at the minimum contract amount. Manziel is also reportedly willing to play on the practice squad if need be.

This could be the best, and possibly, last chance for Manziel to land with an NFL team
And why not the Cowboys, a franchise that nearly handed in a card for him during the first round of the draft four years ago?

Signing Johnny Football for a minimum deal in Dallas is a no-brainer. This is a flier the Cowboys should absolutely take. The jersey sales alone in the State of Texas would make his addition worth the risk. Plus it would add a former first round quarterback to a team that only features Cooper Rush as a backup at the moment. The upside should simply be too great for the Cowboys to pass up.
link

According to NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo, Manziel has talked to several league coaches at the NFL Scouting Combine this week about a possible return to the league. Garafolo is reporting that Johnny Football is willing to sign with a team with zero money guaranteed and at the minimum contract amount. Manziel is also reportedly willing to play on the practice squad if need be.

This could be the best, and possibly, last chance for Manziel to land with an NFL team
And why not the Cowboys, a franchise that nearly handed in a card for him during the first round of the draft four years ago?

Signing Johnny Football for a minimum deal in Dallas is a no-brainer. This is a flier the Cowboys should absolutely take. The jersey sales alone in the State of Texas would make his addition worth the risk. Plus it would add a former first round quarterback to a team that only features Cooper Rush as a backup at the moment. The upside should simply be too great for the Cowboys to pass up.
link

But not in Houston?

JM was already a millionaire (Trust & Eventual Inheritance) when he signed his LOI with the Aggies. He was never going to want for financial security. I'm more surprised that he got as far as he did before his life wheels came off the wagon. He can rebound should he really desire to and for the right reasons....financial security isn't one of the reasons.

Johnny Manziel’s ex: ‘I was lucky to have survived’

A year and a half earlier, the athlete’s future seemed among the brightest in the league. Having set records at Texas A&M — including one as the first freshman to ever win the Heisman Trophy — “Johnny Football,” as he’d been known since his high-school days in Kerrville, Texas, had signed a four-year, $8.25 million contract with the Browns in 2014.

Crowley was the gorgeous Texas Christian University student on his arm. In social-media posts and paparazzi photos, the duo was pictured loved up — and partying — across the country. Soon, the public would discover what the photos didn’t show: the drug and alcohol abuse, the rehab visits, the temper and violence. Manziel, Crowley said, was using Xanax and cocaine.

Within the next six months, Manziel would lose his NFL job, his longtime manager, and an endorsement deal with Nike. But Crowley stuck with him — at first. The two dated on and off until January 2016, when he allegedly beat her again.

“He was just very volatile and angry and scary,” she said. “Someone I did not know.”

Full article

This guy is an utter freakin' turd. A worthless POS that should never get another shot at the NFL.

Yet, how pathetic is this league that would give a woman-beating drug-using narcissist chance after chance, while blacklisting a Super Bowl starting QB for simply kneeling to bring attention to criminal justice reform.

Read the entire article before you try to defend him. If you can read all of it and still want to bullshit yourself, that's on you.

I was upset as anybody else for what Johnny Manziel did to that girl but that was some time ago. It's 2018 now. Why do these articles keep popping up just when Johnny Manziel is trying to better his career, and most importantly, his life? It's time for everybody to move on.

I've read all the articles and even the police statements (all the court records) a couple years ago. None of that should still be an issue in 2018. Nobody is trying to defend Johnny Manziel but at the same time this kid deserves a chance to turn his life around.

I was upset as anybody else for what Johnny Manziel did to that girl but that was some time ago. It's 2018 now. Why do these articles keep popping up just when Johnny Manziel is trying to better his career, and most importantly, his life? It's time for everybody to move on.

I've read all the articles and even the police statements (all the court records) a couple years ago. None of that should still be an issue in 2018. Nobody is trying to defend Johnny Manziel but at the same time this kid deserves a chance to turn his life around.
"Deserves"?!?
"time to move on..."
do you think that way about Kaepernick? Hardly anyone is 'kneeling' any more so can folks move on from that too?
or is beating a woman more acceptable than putting one's money where his mouth is and helping his community?

"Deserves"?!?
"time to move on..."
do you think that way about Kaepernick? Hardly anyone is 'kneeling' any more so can folks move on from that too?
or is beating a woman more acceptable than putting one's money where his mouth is and helping his community?

Only if you're a (once) big name (local prospect could (conceivably,(maybe)) help the home team (somewhat).

You sound like a cheerleader. A second chance? The guy has made a living on second chances and getting over on the suckers that keep giving second chances. Manziel is not a good person he’s probably a worse person than he is an nfl QB and that is saying something. He’s a clown and a piece of crap and I have no hopes that he’ll turn his life around and find happiness or any other BS my hope is he doesn’t hurt anyone else on his way down the toilet.

Do any of you have bipolar disorder or know somebody that does? That doesn't even take into account the depression and alcohol abuse. I'm surprised that Johnny Manziel is still alive much less trying to resurrect his football career. The young man has one more chance. He should consider it a blessing from above. I hope he can work hard and ignore all the haters. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what people say. It's up to him to turn his life around.

Back