The Johnny "Football" Manziel NFL thread

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, May 20, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Going ahead and opening up the inevitable all-encompassing Johnny Football thread, as we know there's a lot of local interest in him.

Browns playbook is Manziel's first

2. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

Now he's got a playbook! Super(techmo)bowl!!! :gamer:

3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

First playbook??:shots:

Don't know if he'll know what to do with it or how to "handle" it..........Well, I guess there's always Google Translate.:)

[​IMG]

4. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

Kolb
    Keenum
    & now Manziel..

Sumlin & Briles' systems do their qb's no favors entering the league. In addition to no physical playbooks, their systems also don't teach their qb's to be patient and take what the defense is giving them b/c they are constantly trying to go downfield. That works in college...not so much in the pros. As a result they get used to looking over the defense for the big plays rather than reading what's going on in the teeth of it....That's why you see so many of their qb's holding onto the ball so long & scrambling around trying to extend plays...hard to get them out of reading the route trees from long to short.

CloakNNNdagger likes this.
  5. False Start

False Start On # 69

I bet he's gonna be running, up up down down left right left right b a start, a whole lot.

6. b0ng

b0ng Bad Hombre

Why not include RG3 if we are talking about Briles?

7. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

forgot about him..but yes he's another in that mold.

8. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

The Manziel hype on NFL Network is becoming unbearable. They always seem to do this, latch on to one player (usually QB) and overhype him to the point of nausea.

Brett Favre, Tim Tebow, and now Johhny Manziel. It's not the kid's fault, but as a fan and consumer, it is getting to the point of just turning the crap off because there is nothing to report other than stupid crap like "Johnny Manziel gets a playbook". Why the eff is that even a story? Because it's his first one? Geesh, I hate off-season.

9. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

Johnny Frikin Football.

I am so happy we didn't take this guy.

After a few good hits he will be toast.....with jelly!

10. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Yep.

Was listening to the Around the League podcast and it as JFF muff-hugging, all. the. time.

I'm rooting for him to bust in Tebowtacular fashion.

11. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

Between him and the gay that's basically all it is. They should call it the Johnny & Gay hour. :kitten:

12. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I agree. I'm indifferent about the gay guy, but seriously tired of the coverage.

There is only so much to be said about Manziel or Sam, and then it becomes redundant regurgitation of the same information. Then, they all sit around and "analyze" it.

There are 32 teams in the NFL with lots of rookies, not to mention all the vets and new coaches, but every All Access seems to be obsessed at some point with Manziel or Sam.

Right now All Access has been showing a head coach roundtable interview, and it's been great. More of that, less of Johnny Cleveland!!

13. Pollardized

Pollardized Division Champ

Johnny gets way more coverage. Michael Sam is definitely bringing up the rear...

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

Building the foundation

15. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Are people going to want to see Manziel fall on his face at every turn and bash him relentlessly in here the same way they have with VY?

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I want to see him blow the top off the NFL.

17. Texecutioner

I want him to be successful and I'm a Longhorns fan. Manziel is one of the most exciting players ever to come out of college the same way that VY was. Wanted both to succeed. The only downfall of Manziel succeeding will be ESPN and the rest of the media will turn it into a Tebow mania type of situation where I might end up not wanting to see hi play well any more just so I can get coverage on the rest of the league. I hate when the media picks their certain guys to create a "mania" for. The end up putting hardly any coverage for everyone else.

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss MVP

I think they're going to pick that guy whether it's going to be JFF or not. I'd rather it be Johnny. Let him be the measuring stick they measure all other QBs from..... save Tom Savage. Let them call Savage a game manager as he wins Super Bowl after Super Bowl, for all I care.

Good QBs will continue to fall in the draft while other teams are looking for the next RG3 or Colin Kaepernick. I'm fine with that.

19. Texecutioner

Are you still questioning Kaepernick as a NFL QB? Dude is a stud.

I don't want to hear any extra coverage on any QB other than the few who are dominating the NFL, because that's who deserves the most coverage. What they did with Tebow years ago was terrible for football fans.

20. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

People have two major problems with VY and Manziel. The first is endless media coverage. It's not the guy's fault, but people just get tired of getting hyped over a guy who has literally done nothing in an NFL game yet. The second problem is what tips it into dislike for the guy, IMO, and that's the attitude. QBs are confident guys, I get that. But what do you hear nationally about Andrew Luck? Or Kaepernick? Or Wilson? Or hell, Tannehill, Locker, Ponder ... name a guy. They keep their traps shut and go to work. VY didn't do that. Manziel is off to a rocky start with the immature attitude and "show me the money" signs when he walked on stage at the draft. Sure, you can rationalize it away, but people aren't going to. And if it comes out at some point that he's failing because of his attitude, people will stand up and say told you so. That's life. VY made his own bed with NFL fans. We'll see what Manziel does. The TV coverage alone can sway people into not liking him (see Tebow), but he has the ability to make that go away or make it worse.

Double Barrel likes this.