Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

A happy thought going into Sunday...........if Fitzy plays.......

Ryan Fitzpatrick
is 4-for-26 on passes traveling at least 25 yards in the air, worst completion percentage in the NFL (15.4%)

Sorry doc, it's not the deep ball that beats us, it's the underneath throws that end up having a ton of yac.

As per O-Brien's philosophy, we do not want to harbor an "I" in "T-E-A-M" Texans.

Fitzpatrick
Mallett
Fitzpatrick
Keenum

Hoyer
Mallett
Hoyer
Yates

Texans Related:
Ryan Mallett opts to take termination pay from Texans
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ett-opts-to-take-termination-pay-from-texans/
According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, Mallett has elected to take of what the Texans would have owed him this season as termination pay.

Players can do that once, so Mallett might have some inkling that he’s either not getting back in the league after getting “stuck in traffic” and “oversleeping” his way out of a job, or at least not at the same rate.

Probably the smartest move he's made as a Texan.

4 teams (KC, Houston, Buffalo, Jets) at 5-5 for the 2nd Wild Card, all 1 game behind Pittsburgh (6-4) for the 1st Wild Card.

Really surprised he did this. But if he did, likely on advice from his agent, that means the market is pretty dry for his services.

I think it's a sign that he's burned his NFL QB bridge. Erratic play and behavior...I don't see teams lining up to sign him. Might be time to head to Canada or seek another profession for Mallett.

Really surprised he did this. But if he did, likely on advice from his agent, that means the market is pretty dry for his services.

I think it's a sign that he's burned his NFL QB bridge. Erratic play and behavior...I don't see teams lining up to sign him. Might be time to head to Canada or seek another profession for Mallett.

Well that can't be right. We were assured by an informed poster on this board who had sources telling him that Mallett was intentionally forcing his way out of Houston because he had multiple starting jobs already lined up.

Probably. But what teams have been needing QB's since his release? Dallas brought in Cassel when Romo was out and is now the back-up. Fisher said Keenum legitimately earned back-up role at the beginning of the season, so even if Foles gets the starting gig back, Case isn't going anywhere. Schaub is a proven veteran that Baltimore had on the roster all season and they signed Clausen who played last year in Chicago under the OC so he knows the system. I'm just not sure there is a team that NEEDS to get a #2 guy right now, and there is no way he is getting signed as a #3 guy. Why sign this guy if he probably won't even be active the rest of the season? I'd be curious what this off-season brings. It may very well be that he has run himself out of the league, or it just might be the circumstances fit our perception of what we want to believe about Mallett.

Probably. But what teams have been needing QB's since his release? Dallas brought in Cassel when Romo was out and is now the back-up. Fisher said Keenum legitimately earned back-up role at the beginning of the season, so even if Foles gets the starting gig back, Case isn't going anywhere. Schaub is a proven veteran that Baltimore had on the roster all season and they signed Clausen who played last year in Chicago under the OC so he knows the system. I'm just not sure there is a team that NEEDS to get a #2 guy right now, and there is no way he is getting signed as a #3 guy. Why sign this guy if he probably won't even be active the rest of the season? I'd be curious what this off-season brings. It may very well be that he has run himself out of the league, or it just might be the circumstances fit our perception of what we want to believe about Mallett.

You make good points. I see it as he had a legit chance to become the full fledged starter for a QB needy team and he not only sh!t the bed but then proceeded to roll around and play in it. I just don't see another team giving him that chance again much less a backup chance when all he's shown is inaccuracy with the ball and a tendency to always have an excuse. I know I wouldn't want to go to battle with a guy I can't rely on. But just because it didn't work out for him in NE and here doesn't mean it won't elsewhere. Best of luck to him...but I'd be very fruggle with that $1.47M if I were him.

*Edit*
Just saw a report that Christian Ponder will sign with Broncos to back-up Brock while Manning heals. Another off the street QBs being signed before Mallett.

Last edited:
Well that can't be right. We were assured by an informed poster on this board who had sources telling him that Mallett was intentionally forcing his way out of Houston because he had multiple starting jobs already lined up.
The Great Karnack has returned and revealed that Mallett will back up Johnnie Football next season in Philadelphia. If they can find a good hangover cure...

I heard yesterday that he was still in Houston and his phone has not rung yet.

This is a general observation, not about Mallett. I'm always dubious of these reports. The only 2 people with Reason to know are the player and his agent. There is absolutely zero benefit to one of them leaking this info. Flip side us reports of multiple team interest where there is obvious benefit to a leak or exaggeration. On the no contact thing that would be a lose your license offense.

This is a general observation, not about Mallett. I'm always dubious of these reports. The only 2 people with Reason to know are the player and his agent. There is absolutely zero benefit to one of them leaking this info. Flip side us reports of multiple team interest where there is obvious benefit to a leak or exaggeration. On the no contact thing that would be a lose your license offense.

Sorry, which part of this are you referring to...the term pay or lack of calls made to Mallett?

You make good points. I see it as he had a legit chance to become the full fledged starter for a QB needy team and he not only sh!t the bed but then proceeded to roll around and play in it. I just don't see another team giving him that chance again much less a backup chance when all he's shown is inaccuracy with the ball and a tendency to always have an excuse. I know I wouldn't want to go to battle with a guy I can't rely on. But just because it didn't work out for him in NE and here doesn't mean it won't elsewhere. Best of luck to him...but I'd be very fruggle with that $1.47M if I were him.

*Edit*
Just saw a report that Christian Ponder will sign with Broncos to back-up Brock while Manning heals. Another off the street QBs being signed before Mallett.

Agree with this,

The thing I wonder about is what changed in Mallett? BOB/Godsey have known him for yrs and still brought him in. Was he just not a McNair face of the franchise type guy and when Mallett found this out he flaked out? I mean after the Cleveland game last yr you didn't hear anything like this and even Barnicle reporters went to check out his family, HS coach/Will Middlebrooks etc.... they all vouched for Mallett and his work ethic/great guy. I truly wonder what happened in less than a yrs time?

Agree with this,

The thing I wonder about is what changed in Mallett? BOB/Godsey have known him for yrs and still brought him in. Was he just not a McNair face of the franchise type guy and when Mallett found this out he flaked out? I mean after the Cleveland game last yr you didn't hear anything like this and even Barnicle reporters went to check out his family, HS coach/Will Middlebrooks etc.... they all vouched for Mallett and his work ethic/great guy. I truly wonder what happened in less than a yrs time?

Truly interesting how things flipped.

Agree with this,

I still think that OB jerking him around had a lot to do with it... deservedly or not. I also think that the locker room could have been split between him and hoyer and may have contributed to the fiasco

People around here say that he was jerked around but I call bullshit on that. The guy was given multiple opportunities to be the man and failed every time. The first time was due to injury so we brought him back. Bad luck. OB puts him in the league's easiest pre-season QB competition and he doesn't win it. Maybe he didn't outright lose it but he sure as hell didn't win it either. Call it a stalemate if you want, but that doesn't make Mallett look any better.

If anyone got jerked around it was Hoyer. Named the starting QB and then yanked as quickly as possible. But nobody cares about him (me included to be honest) because he's a no talent loser with a pea shooter for an arm. I think OB kept flip flopping between the two because he was stuck, in a situation that he created I might add. He's not innocent in this. He wanted Mallett to step up to the plate and be a pro, but he just couldn't do it. So do stick with the talented guy who just doesn't get it? Or do you go with the respected veteran who just doesn't have the physical talent? OB eventually chose, but Mallett forced his hand.

I'm gonna come out of left field and say that maybe Mallett didn't change at all and he was always that way. That's why OB tried to recreate the NE QB room around him. Brought in a guy like Hoyer, who does everything off the field that you want, to hopefully rub off on him.

This happens with ultra talented guys all the time. I've seen it firsthand more times than I can count. Everybody lets them slide because of their ability and some even make excuses for them. But instead of helping them all it does is validate the behavior.

I think OB knew exactly what Mallett was. A talented knucklehead. And he thought he could pull one over on his old boss by getting Mallett for cheap and mentoring him to maximize his ability. If he gave Mallett the opportunity that he was never gonna get in NE then he would see the light and realize that he needs to straighten up to make the most of it. But it failed, because Mallett is Mallett and he isn't going to change.

There's a lot of assumptions in that post. I know it. It's just an opinion. But there's no more assumptions there than what anyone else has said. None of us were in the locker room, the meetings, or the closed practices. We don't know what went on. What we do know is the result. And while OB looks like a moron no matter what, there is no way I can feel sorry for a guy like Mallett based even on what little info we do have.

There's a lot of assumptions in that post. I know it. It's just an opinion. But there's no more assumptions there than what anyone else has said. None of us were in the locker room, the meetings, or the closed practices. We don't know what went on. What we do know is the result. And while OB looks like a moron no matter what, there is no way I can feel sorry for a guy like Mallett based even on what little info we do have.

Fair enough. Either way I think OB did a poor job.

I am suspicious of plot lines that 180. Everything was Mallett was hard working, mature, beyond his college days and then boom.

No idea what really happened and won't pretend to know. Whatever it was wasn't good for the Texans.

And Jesus, 3 quarters into the 1st game of the season. I'm not going to do the research but I'm betting that's a non-injury 1st. What the hell was that?

Last edited:
Watching the packers play, wondering why we never use that spread shovel pass screen to the HB, I don't think I've ever seen it blown up in the backfield. Seems like a fairly safe play. Thoughts?

Offense-passing-rushing / Defense-passing-rushing

Saints: 2-2-17 / 32-31-29

Texans: 13-6-29 / 8-5-20

4.9: Number of yards per play by the Texans, ranked 31st in the NFL.

23.77: Seconds per offensive play for the Texans in 2015. That's the second-fastest pace in the NFL.

3.3: Number of yards per rushing attempt for the Texans, the lowest average in the NFL.

46.2: Percentage of drives by Saints' opponents that end in a score, the highest mark in the league.

424.3: Average of yards per game given up.

That title is longer than a Fall Out Boy song title. Anyways, the Saints recently fired their defensive coordinator, Rob Ryan, for fielding the worst defense in the league. Their total defensive DVOA is 25.2% (32nd), pass defense DVOA is 47.9% (32nd, SF is 31st 37% and JAC is 30th 26.5%) run defense is -4.2% (26th). The least amount of points they have allowed in a game is 20 points to the Brandon Weeden-led Cowboys. The only thing they are mediocre at is rushing the passer. Lastly, they are allowing 31.5 points a game, which is also last in the league.

New Orleans has the worst secondary in the NFL, as seen by their pass defense DVOA. When we look closer at DVOA, we also see they are 31st in the league covering a team's #1 receiver, 24th at covering a team's #2 receiver, 32nd at covering tight ends, and 26th at covering running backs. Their secondary also can't tackle. New Orleans is 31st in the NFL in open field yards, and 32nd in second level yards.

The Saints are trapped in a corner as well. Their secondary isn't a group created from the bones of undrafted free agents or young players learning how to play the game. At cornerback, they start Brandon Browner and Delvin Breaux a 26 year old rookie who came over from the Canadian League. At safety, they start Kenny Vaccaro and Jarius Byrd. Browner was signed this past offseason for 3 years/$15 million. Vaccaro was taken with the 15th pick of the 2013 NFL Draft. They signed Byrd during the 2013 offseason and gave him a 6 year/$54.2 million contract.

New Orleans already have cap problems. They are either going to have to double pay to fix this unit, or bring it back out next year and then attempt to fix everything in 2017. Whatever they end up doing, their secondary is going to be awful for the next year or two.

Brian Hoyer is back, and the worst pass defense in the NFL is going to have to cover DeAndre Hopkins. With Ryan running the defense, they played a lot of press man coverage with the idea that the safeties are quick enough to help over the top. This hasn't worked, and it probably won't again this week. Hopkins should obliterate the strong, slow Browner in this one. If there was a week for Houston to score more than 24 points, this would be it against the worst defense in the NFL.

Some things to keep in mind......anticipate some defensive strategy changes. Rob Ryan was not much for zone coverage or frequent blitzing. Dennis Allen, the Saint's new DC will probably get away from strict single high safety / press man coverage, especially for Hopkins........and, being a disciple of Greg Williams, will likely try to rattle Hoyer's brain (both literatively and figuratively) with a barrage of blitzes.

Last edited:

23.77: Seconds per offensive play for the Texans in 2015. That's the second-fastest pace in the NFL.

3.3: Number of yards per rushing attempt for the Texans, the lowest average in the NFL.

46.2: Percentage of drives by Saints' opponents that end in a score, the highest mark in the league.

So, it's resistible force vs movable object when the Texans are on the offense tomorrow.

424.3: Average of yards per game given up.

Some things to keep in mind......anticipate some defensive strategy changes. Rob Ryan was not much for zone coverage or frequent blitzing. Dennis Allen, the Saint's new DC will probably get away from strict single high safety / press man coverage, especially for Hopkins........and, being a disciple of Greg Williams, will likely try to rattle Hoyer's brain (both literatively and figuratively) with a barrage of blitzes.
yep leaving middle of field open for short passes that Hoyer/Yates can make; maybe even Blue can catch a few.

Watching the packers play, wondering why we never use that spread shovel pass screen to the HB, I don't think I've ever seen it blown up in the backfield. Seems like a fairly safe play. Thoughts?
I think we'd find a way to create a fumble with it.

It's funny how the TE position becomes important once an NFL caliber TE is on the active roster. Good job by Griffin today. Front he is not, but he made his plays count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how the TE position becomes important once an NFL caliber TE is on the active roster. Good job by Griffin today. Front he is not, but he made his plays count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought of Graham or Fido as pass catching TEs. Nothing like OD anyway, much less Gronk.

I never thought of Graham or Fido as pass catching TEs. Nothing like OD anyway, much less Gronk.

Graham has actually proven himself as a pass catching TE, catching 77 passes and 8 TD's in the two years before OB got here. But he just isn't fitting with this offense, or with what OB "wants" from his TE's. I would rather see him on the field than Fido, as long as both are behind Griffin.

If my math isn't sketchy, looks like the Bengals, Jets and Saints were all averaging around 28 points a game over their last 5 games not involving the Texans.

The Texans gave up 29 total points and only 2 TD's in all three games.

Back