Texans random thought of the day

We're 6-5 with these five left....
@ Buffalo
New England
@ Indy
@ Tenn
Jacksonville

Do we make the playoffs?

I have to admit that I was wrong and I am thoroughly enjoying the current win streak. I was on board with tanking, not so much to secure a high draft pick but to put pressure on McNair to fire little Rick Smith. Now that the defense is playing up to their potential and the offense looks decent I can't help but cheer for my squad. I know that there are still glaring issues with the front office and players but this is way more fun than expecting them to lose. It could come to an end next week but for now I am enjoying the hell out of this team.

@ Buffalo
New England
@ Indy
@ Tenn
Jacksonville

Do we make the playoffs?
Buffalo is going to be a tough game, but I think we can take them. If we can split against NE/Indy we should be able to finish 10-6, which would be a remarkable finish to our season. 10-6 definitely gets us into the playoffs. We could probably still make it in at 9-7, but we would need some help.

Buffalo is going to be a tough game, but I think we can take them. If we can split against NE/Indy we should be able to finish 10-6, which would be a remarkable finish to our season. 10-6 definitely gets us into the playoffs. We could probably still make it in at 9-7, but we would need some help.

If we split the NE/Indy games, it better be the Colts that we beat! I'm tired of the Texans losing in that dismal ass stadium.

If we split the NE/Indy games, it better be the Colts that we beat! I'm tired of the Texans losing in that dismal ass stadium.

If I had the choice (for fun) I am not sure which win I'd rather have...beating the Pats in prime time...or beating Indy at their casa.

@ Buffalo
New England
@ Indy
@ Tenn
Jacksonville

Do we make the playoffs?

For me, it's still too early to go through all the scenarios. Very little has gone the way it was "supposed to" for us & much of the AFC.

I've really been enjoying watching the Texan going up against this year's crop of mediocre teams & thoroughly dominate them. I've gone into the last three games expecting to lose & the Texans surprise the carp out of me.

I don't expect the Texans to run the table. I don't expect the Colts, Chiefs, or Steelers to run the table.

After every win or loss, what is required will change. I'm just hoping our guys are tough enough (both mentally & physically) to accomplish what we're after; division championship now, wildcard if need be, then the Conference championship, then League championship.

CVFBkx7U4AA7mS3.jpg

For me, it's still too early to go through all the scenarios.

Yep. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. Hell, 5 weeks ago the Texans were 2-5 and left for dead. The good news is, the Texans don't have to rely on anybody else to make the playoffs. Win out and they're division champs.

It's December now. All the games are big going forward. It starts in Buffalo. Not only do you need the win outright, but the Bills are a common opponent with the Colts which is the 3rd tie-breaker if it gets to that. Currently the Texans have the advantage there 5-3 to the Colts 4-5 in those games. The Colts lost to the Bills.

It's an even bigger game when you consider the Texans chances against the Pats the following week, another common opponent that the Colts have already lost to.

Then, of course, it's the big one in Indy. None of the division records or common opponent tie-breakers matter if you don't beat the Colts. If you don't break that 0 for forever streak in Indy, you don't win this division.

Go at least 2-1 in the next 3 games, with one of those wins over Indy, you close out with Nashville and J-ville. Very good chance to end what started out a pretty miserable season at 10-6.

But like I said, a lot can happen in 5 weeks.

We run the UGLIEST screens that I've ever seen. I don't even know how to properly voice my thoughts on that ... it incredible how insanely bad our screens are. Last year they were ineffective, so far this preseason they're outright embarrassing.

Just quoting myself from August. It seems almost impossible to be THIS BAD at running basic wide receiver and runningback screen plays. Every other team in the league can do it. Every college program can do it. We attempt a few each game and I can probably count on one hand the number of plays that resulted in more than 3 yards in the past two seasons. I'd put it over 50% that don't even make it back to the line of scrimmage.

If I had the choice (for fun) I am not sure which win I'd rather have...beating the Pats in prime time...or beating Indy at their casa.
Quite easy for me, honestly. We've never won in Indy and we're competing with them for the division. Win that game and we could likely win the division.

Yep. A lot can happen in 5 weeks. Hell, 5 weeks ago the Texans were 2-5 and left for dead. The good news is, the Texans don't have to rely on anybody else to make the playoffs. Win out and they're division champs.

If we win out, we win the division and host at least 1 playoff game.
What they said. We control our own destiny.
Winning out may be unlikely but not impossible. Indy is the key. Gotta win up there.

Random stats:

Washington as #2 receiver on Texans = 33/500 which projects to 50/750

AJ as #3 receiver on Colts = 26/323 which projects to 38/475

Can't blame it on Hasselback who is 4-0. Luck started 7 games and played like sh!t going 2-5. I imagine this is not how AJ expected it would play out.

Random stats:

Washington as #2 receiver on Texans = 33/500 which projects to 50/750

AJ as #3 receiver on Colts = 26/323 which projects to 38/475

Can't blame it on Hasselback who is 4-0. Luck started 7 games and played like sh!t going 2-5. I imagine this is not how AJ expected it would play out.

Didn't O'Brien advise Johnson that he could see 40-50 catches here in Houston? Seems like a good move on releasing him now based on hindsight, since the team used that money to sign other players.

Didn't O'Brien advise Johnson that he could see 40-50 catches here in Houston? Seems like a good move on releasing him now based on hindsight, since the team used that money to sign other players.

I think from a financial perspective, Washington at 50/750 is a much better value than AJ at 50/750.

Was just thinking about it from his perspective. If the stats/winning are not better in Indy, if he would rather still be here. Regardless of how OB positioned the 40-50 catches to him, he seems correct in hindsight. Andre's hubris seems to be the only reason he is not still a Texan.

I think from a financial perspective, Washington at 50/750 is a much better value than AJ at 50/750.

Was just thinking about it from his perspective. If the stats/winning are not better in Indy, if he would rather still be here. Regardless of how OB positioned the 40-50 catches to him, he seems correct in hindsight. Andre's hubris seems to be the only reason he is not still a Texan.

Not to mention Nate has less wear and tear than AJ, and i could see him staying around 3-4 years still being fairly productive.

We have to win at least 3 of the remaining games, and one of them must be BUF or IND.

Example: say we somehow beat NE and then TEN and JAC, but lose the other two. That would put us 9-7 but we would lose the division to IND and could lose the wild card to BUF and KC.

I'll take a loss to NE if we can still get 1-2 out of the next three and then handle business against the scrubs.

Very much agree Washington at vet minimum has been a bargain and them some.

Not to mention Nate has less wear and tear than AJ, and i could see him staying around 3-4 years still being fairly productive.
In a perfect world, a new and spectacular receiver is drafted and is shown the ropes by Nate as they split duties giving the older time for recovery and the younger game experience perfecting his routes.

Very much agree Washington at vet minimum has been a bargain and them some.

I can agree with this. Every year there's two or three guys out there that can fill that #2 role for a little money. But we've never gone after that guy before. Instead, we kept throwing out KDub & Jacoby... #3 receivers in their prime.

Then when we did go after one, we'd throw an Eric Moulds or such in the mix with Walter & Jacoby.... I like how this year, we took DeAndre & pretty much cleared the slate behind him. (I'm not happy with the way they went about it with Andre).

I just want the Texans to be 1-0 this week and for everybody to do their job. 1-0 every week makes it happen.

I'll worry about how they play against New England when that game gets here (and so on).

QB Hit totals through week 12.

1. J.J. Watt - 42
2. J.J. Watt - 26 (last 4 games)
3. Ezekiel Ansah - 23
3. Carlos Dunlap - 23

QB Hit totals through week 12.

1. J.J. Watt - 42
2. J.J. Watt - 26 (last 4 games)
3. Ezekiel Ansah - 23
3. Carlos Dunlap - 23

Great point to this, Greg Cosell was on Cowherd today and he mentioned how RAC has been increasingly showing 5 man fronts on the LOS in the last few weeks. He noted that it's rarely to bring a numbers advantage rush, but more so to intentionally make the opposing Oline commit their blocking scheme early to assignments, and then more importantly, to get JJ matched up one-on-one as often as possible as a result.

Results and the tape bear it out pretty well. Clearly the good teams will adjust, but for now, good job RAC.

Great point to this, Greg Cosell was on Cowherd today and he mentioned how RAC has been increasingly showing 5 man fronts on the LOS in the last few weeks. He noted that it's rarely to bring a numbers advantage rush, but more so to intentionally make the opposing Oline commit their blocking scheme early to assignments, and then more importantly, to get JJ matched up one-on-one as often as possible as a result.

Results and the tape bear it out pretty well. Clearly the good teams will adjust, but for now, good job RAC.
Disguising coverage. How novel.
:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hadn't been paying attention. But, that would make sense.

Before this turnaround, Romeo was trying to get production from the rest of the front 4. Now, he's saying fuggit & going with what works.

The Ravens saw players get injured at an alarming rate this year on their home turf. And while they say that’s not the reason, they’re switching to grass anyway.

Via Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun, Ravens president Dick Cass said the team is getting rid of the artificial stuff they’ve played on for 13 years at M&T Bank Stadium in favor of a natural surface.

We want to try and see if we can have a good grass field at M&T Bank Stadium,” Cass said, aiming high. “We knew we were going to replace our current field at the end of the season in any event. For a long time, we just assumed that we would go with artificial. We’ve been very happy with this field.

“But our players really much prefer to play on natural grass. We talked to the players about it. We had a meeting about it maybe three months ago now. I think the coaches prefer it to be on natural grass. I think our fans will prefer it because Baltimore is sort of an old school football town and natural grass is more consistent with the way that we view that we play football.”

Link

I think our fans will prefer it because Baltimore is sort of an old school football town and natural grass is more consistent with the way that we view that we play football.

Back