Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Teddy Bridgewater

To add to this, the success of the first QB taken in each draft compared to QB's taken in the first round is much much higher.

I think that is accurate. I'd only call 4 of the past 16 busts.

EJ Manuel - too soon to judge and taken much lower than usual
Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Sam Bradford - disappointing to date
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Alex Smith - underwhelming
Eli Manning
Carson Palmer - never the same after injury but not a bad pick
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Chad Pennington - 1st taken but bottom half of 1st round.
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning

blah blah blah blah ****ing blah.... does anyone really watch the tape or better question, does anyone around here know how to evaluate QB play? but then again, given Texan history I can't really blame y'all... lol

this kid is special, mark it down.

I'm by no means an NFL scout so take this with a grain of salt, but I just spent the past couple hours watching alot of YouTube videos of Teddy Bridgewater and concentrating on evaluating his mechanics. Here's my observations:

*Very accurate thrower, hits moving targets in small windows.
*Quick release, he gets the ball out of his hands fast.
*Effortless throwing motion, he really makes it look smooth and easy.
*Holds the ball high, up around his upper chest so that his throwing motion can be quick.
*Good feet/Quick Feet, feet are always in motion while scanning the field but plants them quickly when throwing.
*Athletic, moves effortlessly and runs well when needed. He's not a runner who can throw, he's a passing QB that can run very well.
*Arm strength, it's very good but not what I'd call great. He's no John Elway.
*Throws well on the run, almost throws better on the run than from the pocket.
*Looking off a Safety, I saw him several times looking off a Safety while going through his progressions. Other times he stared down a receiver. This is something he'll have to work on in the NFL.
*Post route, he can hit a WR over the middle on a post route. A few times he overthrew a WR on a post route and he'll need to work with his receivers on this but he can make that very difficult throw.
*Wears gloves on both hands. Not sure if that's a pro or con but thought it a little unusual.
*Speaks well, he can form a cohesive sentence.

I like what I see and would take him as the 1st overall pick. I don't know if he'll ever be the next Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, but to me he's got the skill set to be an elite level QB.

I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?

In his last college game, one of those QBs got beat 42-17 in a bowl game.

His stat line was:
21/31 for 134 yards, 1 TD and 1 INT.

That was Peyton Manning against Nebraska.

Been in these type of threads for a minute now and I've read it all. Its funny how a lot of people want to give a undersized,undrafted free agent qb another year yet they have already called bridgewater a bust. For all the stat trackers or qb bust,go back and check the bust for ol and d-line. I'm pretty sure there just as high. In fact,the highest is wr. Missed in all those numbers since 2002 and busted qbs,nobody posted the winning qbs and the rds they were drafted in. The only exception to the rule has been brady and brees. Since 02, big ben twice,eli twice,peyton,rodgers,flacco. So in 11 yrs,7 have been won by 1st rd qbs. The last time a 1st rd qb didn't win it was brees and he was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd.

All this doesn't matter but for our enjoyment. One minute the guy needs to have a hand cannon for an arm,the next he just needs to have a nfl arm . Bridgewaters arm is on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. His arm isn't. Flacco,ben,staffords coming out,but there are no limitations to the type of offense you can run. From west coast to vertical norv turner/hue jackson type. I guess we will see when the new coaching staff and peple get in place. I say this a lot,don't be wrong either way. Go back and look at the teams that passed rodgers. Go look at the raiders who passed big ben and rivers for gallery. Truth be told and this is the true testament, who would trade their qb for jj watt? Jj is one of the best,mos dominant players in football. I'm willing to bet,you couldn't get luck,stafford,cam,matt ryan,flacco,rg3,kaepernick,wilson,romo,or eli for him. Notice I didn't even name a top 6 guy. All those gms would hang up the phone and laugh at you and we're talking about JJ Watt. As great as watt is,he doesn't touch the ball every play and can be schemed against.

teddy-bridgewater-touchdown-against-cincy.gif

Play from Thursday night.

Been in these type of threads for a minute now and I've read it all. Its funny how a lot of people want to give a undersized,undrafted free agent qb another year yet they have already called bridgewater a bust. For all the stat trackers or qb bust,go back and check the bust for ol and d-line. I'm pretty sure there just as high. In fact,the highest is wr. Missed in all those numbers since 2002 and busted qbs,nobody posted the winning qbs and the rds they were drafted in. The only exception to the rule has been brady and brees. Since 02, big ben twice,eli twice,peyton,rodgers,flacco. So in 11 yrs,7 have been won by 1st rd qbs. The last time a 1st rd qb didn't win it was brees and he was the 1st pick of the 2nd rd.

All this doesn't matter but for our enjoyment. One minute the guy needs to have a hand cannon for an arm,the next he just needs to have a nfl arm . Bridgewaters arm is on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. His arm isn't. Flacco,ben,staffords coming out,but there are no limitations to the type of offense you can run. From west coast to vertical norv turner/hue jackson type. I guess we will see when the new coaching staff and peple get in place. I say this a lot,don't be wrong either way. Go back and look at the teams that passed rodgers. Go look at the raiders who passed big ben and rivers for gallery. Truth be told and this is the true testament, who would trade their qb for jj watt? Jj is one of the best,mos dominant players in football. I'm willing to bet,you couldn't get luck,stafford,cam,matt ryan,flacco,rg3,kaepernick,wilson,romo,or eli for him. Notice I didn't even name a top 6 guy. All those gms would hang up the phone and laugh at you and we're talking about JJ Watt. As great as watt is,he doesn't touch the ball every play and can be schemed against.
Nice post lee.

teddy-bridgewater-touchdown-against-cincy.gif

Play from Thursday night.

AMAZING?

one of many spectacular athletic, gifted plays he made, on what many felt was an "off night" for Bridgewater. Yet, very easy for me to quickly fill a page with positive attributes you'd expect of a the top rated NFL QB prospect. Teddy has ability to quickly assimilate information needed to run a high tempo offense like Chip Kelly runs so effectively. Not this painfully slow, laborious, clock mismanaged Kubiak/Schaub pace. :polevault:

I love watching Bridgewater come to the LOS and get his team in the correct play time and time again. He has very little talent in the backfield and on the OL. He does have weapons at WR and he takes advantage of them.

He definitely has a mind for the game, which is a necessary skill at the next level.

AMAZING?

one of many spectacular athletic, gifted plays he made, on what many felt was an "off night" for Bridgewater. Yet, very easy for me to quickly fill a page with positive attributes you'd expect of a the top rated NFL QB prospect. Teddy has ability to quickly assimilate information needed to run a high tempo offense like Chip Kelly runs so effectively. Not this painfully slow, laborious, clock mismanaged Kubiak/Schaub pace. :polevault:

He had several plays on that level in that game. For those who want to point out he had an "off night" they obviously didn't watch the game. Any QB would have an off night when his OL plays like his did.

Yeah. I'd be fine with teddy b at number 1.

I can understand the apprehension about him becoming a star, but I don't get the posts saying he sucks or is sure to bust.

The reason I don't have Teddy higher in my evaluations is I disagree with you, Bridgewaters arm is NOT on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. Bridgewaters arm is on par with Landry Jones and why I think he will be a bust. His deep floater is an NFL INT waiting to happen.

I haven't started preparing for the draft, yet. (Although I might start early this year. smh) So I haven't watched any tape on any of these guys or figured out who's who, yet.

But.

That's an impressive play for lots of different reasons.

:heart:

I haven't started preparing for the draft, yet. (Although I might start early this year. smh) So I haven't watched any tape on any of these guys or figured out who's who, yet.

But.

That's an impressive play for lots of different reasons.

:heart:

Well then you are going to love Johnny manzel. He has about 4 Or 5 of those per game.

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Eli Manning
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning

Only one thing to nit pick from that list.

Alex Smith 30-5 over the last three seasons - not including their current 3 game skid (30-8).

He didn't come out and light the world on fire .... but he has won a very high percentage once the light came on.

Statistically underwhelming .... Sure but bottom line underwhelming no.

Andrew Luck
Cam Newton
Matthew Stafford
Matt Ryan
JaMarcus Russell - bust
Vince Young - bust
Eli Manning
David Carr - bust
Michael Vick
Tim Couch - bust
Peyton Manning

The reason I don't have Teddy higher in my evaluations is I disagree with you, Bridgewaters arm is NOT on par with peyton,rodgers,eli,luck,and brees. Bridgewaters arm is on par with Landry Jones and why I think he will be a bust. His deep floater is an NFL INT waiting to happen.

The biggest bust on this list had the best arm . You could argue that Carr had the 3rd best arm on this list . Teddy has a plenty good arm .

Alex Smith 30-5 over the last three seasons - not including their current 3 game skid (30-8).

He didn't come out and light the world on fire .... but he has won a very high percentage once the light came on.

I didn't list him as a bust but I haven't heard anyone call him a franchise QB even with all his wins. He is the NFL's current definition of a game manager. The team that drafted him dumped him. I think underwhelming is fair for a #1 pick discussion.

You're giving him tons of credit by looking only at the last 3 years. Dude was talked about for benching and replacement frequently in the 5 seasons before that. He is career 47-39.

You mean those three years when he's had an amazing running game and defense to keep the game from being all about him? :P

Bridgewater is being overrated by Texans fans who want a new QB. This draft could end up being like 2002 for QBs - 16 QBs taken, and they all suck. Carr, Harrington, and Ramsey at the top of that class. Or maybe a couple of them end up panning out, but I don't think Bridgewater has a better chance of panning out than McCarron or even Mett or Murray (injuries notwithstanding). Hell, Boyd might be the one that pans out. I just don't see Bridgewater being BPA. But fans want the team to force the pick because they have the top pick. Well, top pick means you should get the player with the most potential, irrespective of position.

Sucks this crappy record couldn't have waited a year.

If we find a way to win a game or two, end up with the 5-10th pick in the draft, I'd be fine getting Matthews from A&M, then getting Mettenberger early in the second, even trade back into the late first to get him if we need to. Same for Murray.

He had several plays on that level in that game. For those who want to point out he had an "off night" they obviously didn't watch the game. Any QB would have an off night when his OL plays like his did.
"laughing my ass off" signed Case Keenum

Id argue with you all day on his ball velocity. Do you remember the knock on peyton arm vs leaf? Peytons ball wobble a lot was the word vs the guy who can throw it through the car wash and not get wet. Phil simms said luck can't really drive the ball and can't make all the throws. Rodgers, go read his reports and the stigma of benefitting from the tedford touch. He always had a nfl arm,but in cal he held the ball right by his ear. In gb, the coaches got him to lower his release point and lok what happened. Point is at 21,you get bigger and stronger. Brady didn't even have a nfl arm coming out.

I know these discussions stem from my evaluation of bridgewater. I thought he was the best pro prospect as a sophmore. I feel good about what I watch on him as a qb talent. Not to mention,unlike a lot of these spread,bubble screen qbs, he comes to the los with 3 plays. His fbi is off the charts and that will be the lure of the next texans head coach.

Id argue with you all day on his ball velocity. Do you remember the knock on peyton arm vs leaf? Peytons ball wobble a lot was the word vs the guy who can throw it through the car wash and not get wet. Phil simms said luck can't really drive the ball and can't make all the throws. Rodgers, go read his reports and the stigma of benefitting from the tedford touch. He always had a nfl arm,but in cal he held the ball right by his ear. In gb, the coaches got him to lower his release point and lok what happened. Point is at 21,you get bigger and stronger. Brady didn't even have a nfl arm coming out.

I know these discussions stem from my evaluation of bridgewater. I thought he was the best pro prospect as a sophmore. I feel good about what I watch on him as a qb talent. Not to mention,unlike a lot of these spread,bubble screen qbs, he comes to the los with 3 plays. His fbi is off the charts and that will be the lure of the next texans head coach.

This.

Don't agree with everything lee says, but he's spot on a lot.

and what about that Landry Jones floater?

From what I've watched of Teddy Bridgewater...

He has more physical tools than David Garrard (referenced him due to his display of toughness,) and a mind for the game like Byron Leftwich. He has almost no NFL talent around him, except MAYBE his favorite receiver, #9. When they play big schools, he's shown he's belonged.

Is he a #1 pick?

If the Texans are holding that pick, they have no choice but to take him.

From what I've watched of Teddy Bridgewater...

He has more physical tools than David Garrard (referenced him due to his display of toughness,) and a mind for the game like Byron Leftwich. He has almost no NFL talent around him, except MAYBE his favorite receiver, #9. When they play big schools, he's shown he's belonged.

Is he a #1 pick?

If the Texans are holding that pick, they have no choice but to take him.

I'm on board with the Bridgewater pick at #1, why are you trying to scare everyone else off by mentioning Garrard and Leftwich in the same sentence?

Ive seen enough to know Teddy is ready for the NFL. He has an above average throwing motion. He is athletic enough to keep plays alive with his legs, but doesnt resort to running it whenever there is pressure as he keeps his eyes downfield. He is a great example of a hybrid QB who has a nice blend of pocket passer skills and athleticism.

The Texans would be wise to take Bridgewater who can compete for the starting job against Keenum, then come back in round 2 and grab an offenseive lineman.

Ive seen enough to know Teddy is ready for the NFL. He has an above average throwing motion. He is athletic enough to keep plays alive with his legs, but doesnt resort to running it whenever there is pressure as he keeps his eyes downfield. He is a great example of a hybrid QB who has a nice blend of pocket passer skills and athleticism.

The Texans would be wise to take Bridgewater who can compete for the starting job against Keenum, then come back in round 2 and grab an offenseive lineman.

I agree with you but have one question in regards to Tackle position, what is your position on Brennan Williams, who when healthy is = to another 2nd rd OT prospect?

I agree with you but have one question in regards to Tackle position, what is your position on Brennan Williams, who when healthy is = to another 2nd rd OT prospect?

I thought about that for awhile. There are some guard/tackle prospects out there that I think would be a good fit for either RT if BW does not come back healthy, and LG if he does come back healthy.

Didn't Williams have microfracture surgery ?! He may never be the same after that ... I wouldn't count on him ever playing a down , if he does good but I just wouldn't count on it.

I think you have to upgrade the RT and LG spots one way or another - Draft or FA.

CnD has been warning against Williams ever playing well after a microfracture surgery.

Didn't Williams have microfracture surgery ?! He may never be the same after that ... I wouldn't count on him ever playing a down , if he does good but I just wouldn't count on it.

I think you have to upgrade the RT and LG spots one way or another - Draft or FA.

RT will be upgraded next year regardless because, whoever the new coach may be, he certainly won't be starting Derek Newton.

RT will be upgraded next year regardless because, whoever the new coach may be, he certainly won't be starting Derek Newton.

If our new coach starts Derek Newton at RT, I'm going to laugh.

It will be the maniacal, hysterical laugh of someone losing their tenuous grip on sanity but I will laugh.

Ryan Harris hasn't been much of an upgrade. Just saying, it could get worse.

If Newton is not the starter next year then I don't see any way it could get worse. There was a thread a few days ago with profootball focus rankings for the Texans offense. IIRC, Newton was 74th out of 78 OT's. Harris was 43rd.

Harris is an average to slightly below average starting RT. Newton is an outright bottom of the league RT. We could sign a vet off the street next year to play RT and, while he may not play well, he can't be worse.

I'm not sure that Teddy Bridgewater will be as good an NFL QB as Geno Smith.

......Teddy Bridgewater, 6'3" 205.....................Geno Smith, 6'2" 218

Pass Yards: 9370..........................................11,662
TDs:..........69..............................................98
INTs...........24..............................................21
RAT:..........169.7...........................................163.9
Comp. %:....70.2%.........................................71.2%

I'm not sure that Teddy Bridgewater will be as good an NFL QB as Geno Smith.

......Teddy Bridgewater, 6'3" 205.....................Geno Smith, 6'2" 218

Pass Yards: 9370..........................................11,662
TDs:..........69..............................................98
INTs...........24..............................................21
RAT:..........169.7...........................................163.9
Comp. %:....70.2%.........................................71.2%

Again, completely different systems.

Teddy B is the truth. Everyone is going to see it. He definitely needs to mass up a little bit, but I love this dude's game.

Maybe Mario Williams was the best pick in 2006, but we never won a single playoff game with him on the team (2011 didn't count cause he was on IR).

I don't want a 4 year D-Line rental while we try to figure out the QB situation.

I want Teddy B now and never being in the situation where we can draft a #1 QB in the draft for another 10+ years.

Not as different as Bridgewater fans want/wish it were.

Meh, I'm a Clowney fan and even I'd admit the analogy is a stretch. Geno played a spread system that rarely ran the ball, so he accumulated passing yards, whereas Bridgewater uses more of a pro system. That's not a knock on Geno, as Teddy was also the centerpiece of his respective offense, just that Bridgewater's accomplishments are pretty praiseworthy as a result.

I don't agree but don't feel like having another pointless argument with you over it, so agree to disagree.

No point trying bro. He's either trolling or just doesn't get it so don't waste your time.

Check out the number rushing attempts vs passing attempts for West Virgina and Louisville for Geno and Teddy's respective careers. You'll find they're pretty darn close. It's a whole lot closer than Bridgewater fans want or wish it to be. THEY'RE VERY SIMILAR

Check out the number rushing attempts vs passing attempts for West Virgina and Louisville for Geno and Teddy's respective careers. You'll find they're pretty darn close. It's a whole lot closer than Bridgewater fans want or wish it to be. THEY'RE VERY SIMILAR

I'm not seeing it at all.

Teddy B throws over 100 times less in their last 2 years in college.

What WV ran and what Louisville ran look absolutely nothing alike.

WV was a gimmicky, high powered offense where a WR rushed the ball for over 600 yards. Geno Smith was much closer to Texas Tech offense than he is Louisville offense.

As for their rushes, if you use that argument you might as well say that Teddy B rushes a similar amount of times to any pocket QB, the only comparison I see between Teddy B and Geno is they are both black QBs.

Teddy extends plays with his feet while still looking downfield for his playmakers which I love, a lot like Ben Ro (minus taking the big hits every play). If you are going to compare Teddy to any quarterback who has a question mark next to what they will do in the NFL ranks it's Blake Bortles, which you've come out and said you love.

Also, don't fall in love with that semi-rushing ability of Bortles. That 4.9 speed and RG3 size will lead to a lot of missed games if he doesn't give that up quick.

College stats mean little, in and of themselves. In my mind. What I want to know, is he better on his last day than he was on his first day.

Johnny Manziel. I love watching the kid play. But... he's the same guy who started his first game. He isn't any better now than he was then. Not in the way he approaches the game, not in the way he commands his offense, not in the way he breaks down a defense.

All of these kids have talent. What they do with it is what separates an NFL starter from a career back up.

Johnny Manziel. I love watching the kid play. But... he's the same guy who started his first game. He isn't any better now than he was then. Not in the way he approaches the game, not in the way he commands his offense, not in the way he breaks down a defense.

All of these kids have talent. What they do with it is what separates an NFL starter from a career back up.

Texas A&M UniversityVerified account ‏@TAMU

RT @aggiefootball: Take a look at Johnny Manziel's passing improvements since his Heisman winning campaign #12thman pic.twitter.com/7JKpOOepyA

https://twitter.com/TAMU/status/409842438229204992

I think (And have thought pretty much all along) that Bridgewater was the man since about bowl season earlier this year (2013). I think he's the guy that goes #1 overall and whether that's to the Texans or whomever, I think he has the tools to succeed in the NFL. Bad coaching can ruin great prospects though so who knows what his career will be like.

Back