Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Teddy Bridgewater

Bridgewater hasn't looked good since the loss to UCF. Looking off today as well. Would pick Clowney over Bridgewater if the draft was now.

Not going to say crazy, just doesn't make any sense when you do not have a franchise qb on the roster.

i saw a poor reply. was the TD throw a bad throw away or do you think he meant it

It was a great play. He was definitely under duress. He was going down when he threw it, he just slung it on a hope and prayer and it worked.After watching replay TB spotted his guy and heaved it. The thing that made it work was there was no one around the WR, wide open as they say.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no scout and barely an archair GM. I also watch ziltch, nada, zero college football and I only watched this game to see what our potential next quarterback looks like.

That being said, I don't want any part of this. Does anyone else hate his throwing mechanics? His throwing motion just looks real sloppy to me and I think it's resulting in a lot of his passes spending far too much time in the air for NFL caliber corners to not take advantage of.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm no scout and barely an archair GM. I also watch ziltch, nada, zero college football and I only watched this game to see what our potential next quarterback looks like.

That being said, I don't want any part of this. Does anyone else hate his throwing mechanics? His throwing motion just looks real sloppy to me and I think it's resulting in a lot of his passes spending far too much time in the air for NFL caliber corners to not take advantage of.

For an admitted novice you have summed up it pretty well.

After a terrible 1st half, Teddy looked pretty good in the 2nd half.

17/23 for 169 yards and 2 TD's. Was under constant duress all night and made some great plays late in the game to get the lead back.

Louisville ran at a much higher tempo in the 4th quarter and that seemed to help him a lot. Their offense tends to bog down because they play very vanilla on offense and try to control the ball by running it and dinking and dunking in the passing game.

Finished the game 23/37 for 255 yards with 3 TD's and 1 INT. Also had 6 carries for 17 yards (sacked 3 times). Not great numbers, but he was pretty impressive in the 4th quarter after a horrible start to the game.

He was clutch when it mattered. Something we do not currently have at QB. His mistakes can be corrected with coaching, but you cannot teach a player to be clutch.

You know what's impressive? He bounced back. Started off with a bad half and bounced back. You know what none of our current QBs can do?

Bounce back.

Bridgewater's bag of tools may not be as big as Luck's, but it's a pretty big bag of tools. Give him a new coaching staff and FO and O-line help and we are .500 next year or better.

You know what's impressive? He bounced back. Started off with a bad half and bounced back. You know what none of our current QBs can do?

Bounce back.

Bridgewater's bag of tools may not be as big as Luck's, but it's a pretty big bag of tools. Give him a new coaching staff and FO and O-line help and we are .500 next year or better.

No to Teddy 1-1. I would rather take Manziel over Bridgewater and I'm not high on Manziel.

Give me a QB in Rd.2 or 3. Bortles/Mettenberger in Rd.2

Murray in Rd.3-4

No to Teddy 1-1. I would rather take Manziel over Bridgewater and I'm not high on Manziel.

Murray in Rd.3-4

With Mariota coming back (and Hundley probably doing the same) plus Murray and Mett getting injured I would be shocked if Bortles lasts to the 2nd round IF he enters.

Murray in Rd.3-4

Amen! While he may not be a bust, this draft reminds me of the David Carr vs Julius Peppers decision. David Carr also put up great numbers in a ****ty conference, like Bridgewater. I'd take Clowney in Round 1, and then Derek Carr in Round 2 (and make him wear number 8...):shades:

Good article on the high bust rate of 1st Round QBs from 2003 to 2012.
It's even worse if you go back to 2002 (Carr, Harrington, Patrick Ramsey).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/91070/inside-slant-qb-drafting-is-50-50

Bridgewater is being overrated by Texans fans who want a new QB. This draft could end up being like 2002 for QBs - 16 QBs taken, and they all suck. Carr, Harrington, and Ramsey at the top of that class. Or maybe a couple of them end up panning out, but I don't think Bridgewater has a better chance of panning out than McCarron or even Mett or Murray (injuries notwithstanding). Hell, Boyd might be the one that pans out. I just don't see Bridgewater being BPA. But fans want the team to force the pick because they have the top pick. Well, top pick means you should get the player with the most potential, irrespective of position.

Sucks this crappy record couldn't have waited a year.

With Mariota coming back (and Hundley probably doing the same) plus Murray and Mett getting injured I would be shocked if Bortles lasts to the 2nd round IF he enters.

if he enters it will be because he has info that his going to go in the top 15. otherwise it would be better for him to stay another year and compete for the top 10 next draft

Bridgewater is being overrated by Texans fans who want a new QB. This draft could end up being like 2002 for QBs - 16 QBs taken, and they all suck. Carr, Harrington, and Ramsey at the top of that class. Or maybe a couple of them end up panning out, but I don't think Bridgewater has a better chance of panning out than McCarron or even Mett or Murray (injuries notwithstanding). Hell, Boyd might be the one that pans out. I just don't see Bridgewater being BPA. But fans want the team to force the pick because they have the top pick. Well, top pick means you should get the player with the most potential, irrespective of position.

:goodpost:

Amen! While he may not be a bust, this draft reminds me of the David Carr vs Julius Peppers decision. David Carr also put up great numbers in a ****ty conference, like Bridgewater. I'd take Clowney in Round 1, and then Derek Carr in Round 2 (and make him wear number 8...):shades:

Good article on the high bust rate of 1st Round QBs from 2003 to 2012.
It's even worse if you go back to 2002 (Carr, Harrington, Patrick Ramsey).

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/91070/inside-slant-qb-drafting-is-50-50

The bust rate is higher for 1st round QB's because that's where teams are drafting starting Quarterbacks. 75% of the starting QB's in the NFL were drafted in the top 40 picks.

If 3 of 4 QB's drafted in the 1st round bust that's still a 25% success rate for those 1st round QB's.

Typically around 10 QB's get drafted after the top 40 picks and usually only 1 guy makes it at most. That's a 10% success rate at best.

Despite the high bust rate of QB's drafted in the 1st round, your odds of finding a franchise QB are still much higher in the 1st round than any other round.

I'm thinking McCarron 3-1

Or better Murray 4-1

Are much better values than Bridgewater at 1-1. I'm not sure that Bridgewater's arm strength is better than McCarron/Manziel. I know his arm strength isn't as good as Bortles/Mettenberger/Murray.

Funny to read TB fans comments and non fans comments. TB fans say he bounced back, what I saw is TB heave a ball to a wide open WR, (no one within 10 yards). As I watched TB tonight I tried to envision his game in the NFL. I see a BUST waiting to happen. He just doesn't have zip on the ball, passes come out slow and his deep ball has a high trajectory (floats).

I actually find this disappointing. I really wanted Teddy to be closer to his media sensationalized hype. I really wanted TB to be good enough that another team would fall in love with him enough to pay a Kings ransom for their perceived Franchise QB. Sadly I say, I don't see that happening.

My QB Draft Rankings today:
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. AJ McCarron
4. Johny Manziel
5. Aaron Murray
6. David Fales
7. Derek Carr
8. Tajh Boyd
9. Teddy Bridgewater

Last edited:
Funny to read TB fans comments and non fans comments. TB fans say he bounced back, what I saw is TB heave a ball to a wide open WR, (no one within 10 yards). As I watched TB tonight I tried to envision his game in the NFL. I see a BUST waiting to happen. He just doesn't have zip on the ball, passes come out slow and his deep ball has a high trajectory (floats).

I actually find this disappointing. I really wanted Teddy to be closer to his media sensationalized hype. I really wanted TB to be good enough that another team would fall in love with him enough to pay a Kings ransom for their perceived Franchise QB. Sadly I say, I don't see that happening.

My QB Draft Rankings today:
1. Blake Bortles
2. Zach Mettenberger
3. AJ McCarron
4. Aaron Murray
5. Tajh Boyd
6. Teddy Bridgewater

Are any of the above better options than:

1) Taking Clowney @ #1, in Round 1
2) Dump Shaub & TJ - Save $4.7M in Cap Space
3) Picking up a QB that's a Cap Casualty (Bradford, Cutler, or Rivers)
4) Taking McCarron or Murray or Boyd in Round 3 - and see if they pan out for long term.

Are any of the above better options than:

1) Taking Clowney @ #1, in Round 1
2) Dump Shaub & TJ - Save $4.7M in Cap Space
3) Picking up a QB that's a Cap Casualty (Bradford, Cutler, or Rivers)
4) Taking McCarron or Murray or Boyd in Round 3 - and see if they pan out for long term.

I am a firm believer in that you want to fix something you don't do it with band aids. Cutler and Bradford IMHO are band aids and I don't see Rivers leaving SD. I also believe that the most important player on a team is the QB. If you have a guy you truly believe in, think he could be a $100 mil guy, team QB with multiple playoffs for the next 15 years you go get him. I currently think Bortles and Mettenberger can be that guy but it's still early.

If you are making a decision on QB because you're afraid you might miss out on a franchise QB and you don't want to be the goat then you take Clowney. McCarron, Manziel, Bridgewater and Carr possible mid/late rd 1st. Murray, Boyd Fales could go as early as 2nd RD NLT 3rd RD. These guys are more wishing & hoping picks than conviction and committed picks.

Last edited:
TEDDY-GIRL.png

WTH is this about?

I've gone back and forth on bridgewater.

But I think people should hold off judgement and reeeeaaaallllly think about this. Well, not us...but the texans...

Because as much as it'd suck to take bridgewater and he's nothing special, it'd suck even worse to pass on him when we had a shot at him and he becomes an elite qb in the league.

I think folks are making up their minds far too quickly. Texans scouting/decision makers have to be more open minded and examine this guy with a fine toothed comb.

Yeah he might not look great all the time, but I've watched some Louisville games and it doesn't seem like they are this greatly coached team. Their offensive scheme seems pretty basic as well.

One thing you have to consider is, can a good nfl coach take the raw skills/talent bridgewater possesses and really get the most out of him.

Just like you see mediocre guys put up monster numbers in great systems, sometimes guys are held back by mediocre systems/coaching.

I'm not sold on bridgewater right now either...but he does have some very enticing attributes that make me believe he could be a great qb.

Yeah he might not look great all the time, but I've watched some Louisville games and it doesn't seem like they are this greatly coached team. Their offensive scheme seems pretty basic as well.

One thing you have to consider is, can a good nfl coach take the raw skills/talent bridgewater possesses and really get the most out of him.

Just like you see mediocre guys put up monster numbers in great systems, sometimes guys are held back by mediocre systems/coaching.

That's fair. I just don't see what you described as a #1 overall pick.

it'd suck even worse to pass on him when we had a shot at him and he becomes an elite qb in the league.

This is exactly the kind of mind set and human behavior of why people like Gabbert, Locker, Ponder and Russell get drafted as early as they do. This type of thinking creates hold your nose draft picks that mostly end up as wasted picks.

You've watched several Louisville games so have I. It's not hard to see that the ball comes out of Bridgewater's hand a little slow and often with a lack of zip. When he goes deep his passes need more air than most get there. That floater spells INT in the NFL. With Teddy's arm all coaching can really do is perfect a < 12 yd passing game to go with that arm. He doesn't have enough uumph. If the Bearcats pressure rattled his accuracy imagine what an NFL defense will do to that accuracy.

That's fair. I just don't see what you described as a #1 overall pick.

That's fine.

I'm not trying to convince anyone he is. I'm just saying it's an important decision so every aspect should be considered.

Well, not so much for us...but I hope whoever is making this call hasn't made up their mind on these guys yet. Lots if things to consider.

That's fine.

I'm not trying to convince anyone he is. I'm just saying it's an important decision so every aspect should be considered.

Well, not so much for us...but I hope whoever is making this call hasn't made up their mind on these guys yet. Lots if things to consider.

I was on Teddy's side last week but after last night , without the glove , I'm not sure . Drafting a QB #1 overall , he can't have any warts . In 2002 the Texans took that to mean facial warts and look where that got them . :shades:

I was on Teddy's side last week but after last night , without the glove , I'm not sure . Drafting a QB #1 overall , he can't have any warts . In 2002 the Texans took that to mean facial warts and look where that got them . :shades:
I've mixed feelings also...Right now we have Neil O'Donnell (Schaub) and Billy Volek (Keenum) backing him up. No reason to add Geno Smith to that mix.

I've mixed feelings also...Right now we have Neil O'Donnell (Schaub) and Billy Volek (Keenum) backing him up. No reason to add Geno Smith to that mix.

I'd keep Volek because he works cheap , I might keep TJ . If Murray and Mettenberger fell to the 4th and 5th round I might take them both . I might have a ... wait for it .... QB competition .

Hey Boys and Girls, Greg Blair could be a solid option for a mid draft ILB.
I am starting to focus on him. ESPN has him ranked 6-7 round #232. Dude is a tackler 2012: 138 T 9 TFLs, 2.5 sacks, 2 INTs, 6 pass breakups. He is 6'2 252

I'd keep Volek because he works cheap , I might keep TJ . If Murray and Mettenberger fell to the 4th and 5th round I might take them both . I might have a ... wait for it .... QB competition .
if you need a qb, fishing for one late in the draft is the longest of long shots....so that's only a good option if you did that 3 years ago.

if you need a qb, fishing for one late in the draft is the longest of long shots....so that's only a good option if you did that 3 years ago.

I think both Murray and Mettenberger have talent . They also have torn ACL tears which is going to make them fall .

The current Texans coaching staff has never been able to develop a player, especially with top-shelf talent, into anything better than his Day-One capability. With a new staff, one could hope.

The Texans entered the NFL one year too late to get Michael Vick. They suck one year too soon to get Jameis Winston. Bridgewater would be the best QB prospect they've had since David Carr. You'd hope the new staff would know what to do with him.

Finally got around to watching his game against Cincinnati. Rough first half but I like the way he bounced back in the 2nd. His O-line is nothing special and there were quite a few drops but he showed some real competitiveness and put his team on his back to finish off a tough opponent. He got in a groove and was extremely efficient towards the end including a circus scramble on 4th down and an Eli Manning-esque heave that resulted in a TD.

He looked like he was in total command of that offense and I really like his feet in the pocket and how quickly he was getting rid of the football. No panic in him at any point. Once he hit his stride his accuracy was top notch. It sounded to me like David Pollack (one of the announcers) was skeptical at the beginning of the game and by the end he had bought in.

I like the fact that he just turned 21 but has had 3 years under center and made improvements to his game every year. QBs are notoriously difficult to project to the next level but I would be excited to see him develop for us.

Finally got around to watching his game against Cincinnati. Rough first half but I like the way he bounced back in the 2nd. His O-line is nothing special and there were quite a few drops but he showed some real competitiveness and put his team on his back to finish off a tough opponent. He got in a groove and was extremely efficient towards the end including a circus scramble on 4th down and an Eli Manning-esque heave that resulted in a TD.

He looked like he was in total command of that offense and I really like his feet in the pocket and how quickly he was getting rid of the football. No panic in him at any point. Once he hit his stride his accuracy was top notch. It sounded to me like David Pollack (one of the announcers) was skeptical at the beginning of the game and by the end he had bought in.

I like the fact that he just turned 21 but has had 3 years under center and made improvements to his game every year. QBs are notoriously difficult to project to the next level but I would be excited to see him develop for us.

I was impressed by his play in the 4th quarter. His line was not very good but he wouldnt panic and would make the play. His accuracy is pretty good. Overall, I would love the Texans to draft him from what I have seen and read about him.

I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?

I'm not pushing for TB (or anyone else). To me it's too early. I've seen some good posters getting nervous or flat out condemn TB for the last game or another game. "#1 picks shouldn't have questions"

Honest question - did Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford or Peyton Manning never have poor games in college?

I'm sure they did, though Luck played in a resurgent Pac 12 and Stafford/Peyton played SEC teams. Teddy's biggest question was competition and a poor first half against an un-ranked Cincy takes the tiniest amount of polish from his armor.

I don't mind QB's having bad games but even watching Bridgewater's highlights has me concerned over the Texans taking him. He reminds me of Vince Young. He has the mobility to make his college team very good but his arm is questionable. He seems to lob way too many of his passes and it simply won't work in the NFL. I would be very concerned if the Texans decided to take TB.

blah blah blah blah ****ing blah.... does anyone really watch the tape or better question, does anyone around here know how to evaluate QB play? but then again, given Texan history I can't really blame y'all... lol

this kid is special, mark it down.

The bust rate is higher for 1st round QB's because that's where teams are drafting starting Quarterbacks. 75% of the starting QB's in the NFL were drafted in the top 40 picks.

If 3 of 4 QB's drafted in the 1st round bust that's still a 25% success rate for those 1st round QB's.

Typically around 10 QB's get drafted after the top 40 picks and usually only 1 guy makes it at most. That's a 10% success rate at best.

Despite the high bust rate of QB's drafted in the 1st round, your odds of finding a franchise QB are still much higher in the 1st round than any other round.

To add to this, the success of the first QB taken in each draft compared to QB's taken in the first round is much much higher.

If you have a chance to take the first QB in a draft and you know what you are doing, you do it. I'm very hopefully the new coaching staff will put in the time and effort to make an accurate judgement on this.

Back