Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

I don't think that's set in stone .... There are a lot of red flags with Clowney , this season has been piss poor for him (3 sacks?!).
At least a couple other candidates for the #1 overall IMO starting with Matthews & Barr ... Maybe even Mosley who I think is the best "football player" in this draft.

Every player has warts of some sort. Let's agree to disagree. IMO it's Teddy or Clowney at #1.

I'm not seeing the logic here. Does he think he will be No.1 next year? His level of competition won't have changed.

Actually, it will.

He'll be in the ACC Atlantic next year, which means he'll play both Florida State and Clemson, mandatory. Also, Boston College, who has a very good coach and is on the rise. The level of competition will be much higher.

It actually makes as a bit of sense.

Actually, it will.

He'll be in the ACC Atlantic next year, which means he'll play both Florida State and Clemson, mandatory. Also, Boston College, who has a very good coach and is on the rise. The level of competition will be much higher.

It actually makes as a bit of sense.

Is there a legitimate fear on his part that he doesn't become a top five pick, minimum? I mean, sure, if he stays then all aboard the clown car, y'all.

Is there a legitimate fear on his part that he doesn't become a top five pick, minimum? I mean, sure, if he stays then all aboard the clown car, y'all.

Just looking at it overall, it may not be all about draft position. Maybe he really likes his coach Charlie Strong and his teammates. Maybe he wants to take this Louisville team further. Maybe not,
I don't know.

I'm only saying that staying for another year does make some sense.

A lot of us look at Clowney and have visions of Mario Williams II in our heads. Not a bad pick but ultimately never the player so many people thought (and said) he could be.

Most of your QB's in discussion to be the #1 draft pick are usually Heisman Finalist.....just saying.

Quarterbacks Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, AJ McCarron of Alabama and Jameis Winston of Florida State were all invited to the Heisman ceremony on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)......where is Teddy?.....just asking.

Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, you can throw Matt Lion-Heart in here even though he was pretty highly regarded coming out. And I'll say it... Sam Bradford, all the Heisman tools in the world, but he's a bust.

The Heisman trophy is a college football popularity contest. It's nominees have little factor in decision making of GMs that know what they are doing.

Bottom line is you are in drafting Teddy and I feel there's an alternative way. But, it's all good as we all are concern about the Texans as fan.

Fair enough, i hear ya bro. He was the #1 QB recruit coming out of high school and is the #1 recruit coming out of college. Just some food for thought.

Last edited:
In all the clips DutchRudder put up, all I see is a young QB carving up defenses with his mind and arm. He has legs, but uses them to buy time in the pocket for his receivers. He doesn't run at the first sign of trouble, which shows that he knows what he wants to do. Louisville does not have a high-caliber o-line. Teddy shows great skill at climbing the weak pocket his teammates TRY to give him. In the Florida game, Teddy was the best player in that game on either side, hands down. He's the only tier-1 QB in this draft, and if you are the Texans, you'd better take him before Jacksonville or Tennessee does.

100% agree.

Teddy won't stay in college, this is a non-issue. They love the hell out of him in Kentucky and he feels he owes it to the people to act completely torn about this very tough decision. It looks bad when you do Johnny Football stuff and say things like "I can't wait to leave this dump".

The guys that get serious payday money in the NFL from endorsement deals are the guys that people can really get behind. He probably already has an agent telling him to say this stuff, but he has no intention AT ALL of staying.

And if he did stay, he's dead to me. Matt Lion-heart threw his career away to party in Cal, would Teddy follow his footsteps?

Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke, you can throw Matt Lion-Heart in here even though he was pretty highly regarded coming out. And I'll say it... Sam Bradford, all the Heisman tools in the world, but he's a bust.

Were any of these QBs you listed "in the discussion to be the #1 draft pick?"

Most of your QB's in discussion to be the #1 draft pick are usually Heisman Finalist.....just saying.

Quarterbacks Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois, Johnny Manziel of Texas A&M, AJ McCarron of Alabama and Jameis Winston of Florida State were all invited to the Heisman ceremony on Saturday (8 p.m. ET, ESPN)......where is Teddy?.....just asking.

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that because a guy is not up for a heisman that he shouldn't be considered because that is a really stupid opinion if so.

Were any of these QBs you listed "in the discussion to be the #1 draft pick?"

Were any of those previous Heisman winners I listed worthy of being a #1 pick? I'm sure you will say no (Except for Lion-heart and Bradford), therefore why would I care about their Heisman "talent" AKA popularity contest nominees?

Were any of those previous Heisman winners I listed worthy of being a #1 pick? I'm sure you will say no (Except for Lion-heart and Bradford), therefore why would I care about their Heisman "talent" AKA popularity contest nominees?

Even more to the point for this discussion, popularity contest among winning teams. For example, when A&M lost its 2nd game this year the radio pundits were saying his Heisman chances had just about ended.

What does this even mean? Are you insinuating that because a guy is not up for a heisman that he shouldn't be considered because that is a really stupid opinion if so.

I'm not insinuating anything. One could deduce that QBs who are possible #1 draft picks usually take part as a Heisman Finalist.

The answer is NO and Lienart and Bradford both were in the #1 draft pick discussion, Tim Tebow, Troy Smith, Jason White, Eric Crouch, Chris Weinke were NOT and both Lienart and Bradford were Heisman Finalist.

I'm not insinuating anything. One could deduce that QBs who are possible #1 draft picks usually take part as a Heisman Finalist.

Texian's right here.

Normally, when a QB goes #1 overall, they've been a finalist for the Heisman at least once and almost always, the year they're coming out.

Alex Smith was, Sam Bradford was, Cam Newton was, Luck was, Peyton was. Eli Manning was. David Carr was 5th in the voting, iirc.

Jamarcus Russell was not a finalist.

So, most of the time, if a QB goes 1-1, they're a Heisman Finalist. Not always, but normally.

Texian's right here.

Normally, when a QB goes #1 overall, they've been a finalist for the Heisman at least once and almost always, the year they're coming out.

Alex Smith was, Sam Bradford was, Cam Newton was, Luck was, Peyton was. Eli Manning was. David Carr was 5th in the voting, iirc.

So, most of the time, if a QB goes 1-1, they're a Heisman Finalist. Not always, but normally.

Aaron Rodgers was not, he was in consideration for #1 with Alex Smith. Look how that turned out. I'm not sold on Bridgewater, but the Heisman finalist argument is a bad one. I don't believe that should even be considered when grading a Qb prospect.

Aaron Rodgers was not, he was in consideration for #1 with Alex Smith. Look how that turned out. I'm not sold on Bridgewater, but the Heisman finalist argument is a bad one. I don't believe that should even be considered when grading a Qb prospect.

It's really not a bad argument.

I'm not saying it's a good or a bad argument.

Aaron Rodgers ended up being drafted 24th, anyway. Sure, everyone thought it was a toss-up between Smith and Rodgers but ultimately, Rodgers dropped. He finished 9th in Heisman voting, so he wasn't a finalist... but he was considered.

I don't know (or even care, really) if Teddy has been seriously considered for a Heisman and I don't think the Heisman should be used to evaluate talent.

But.

Texian is right that almost every recent QB picked #1 overall has been a Heisman finalist.

I'm not saying it's a good or a bad argument.

Aaron Rodgers ended up being drafted 24th, anyway. Sure, everyone thought it was a toss-up between Smith and Rodgers but ultimately, Rodgers dropped. He finished 9th in Heisman voting, so he wasn't a finalist... but he was considered.

I don't know (or even care, really) if Teddy has been seriously considered for a Heisman and I don't think the Heisman should be used to evaluate talent.

But.

Texian is right that almost every recent QB picked #1 overall has been a Heisman finalist.
Fair enough. Also, what about his hand size. It's rumored thats why he wears the glove. I would think small hands lead to strip sacks, and fumbles. I think his arm strenght is fine, but his elongated throwing motion and hand size worries me.

Fair enough. Also, what about his hand size. It's rumored thats why he wears the glove. I would think small hands lead to strip sacks, and fumbles. I think his arm strenght is fine, but his elongated throwing motion and hand size worries me.

Small hands bother me. I'd be afraid of the Dave Krieg factor and double-digit fumbles every year.

The Heisman trophy is a college football popularity contest. It's nominees have little factor in decision making of GMs that know what they are doing.

Fair enough, i hear ya bro. He was the #1 QB recruit coming out of high school and is the #1 recruit coming out of college. Just some food for thought.
Well you'd think the QB that you think would be the #1 NFL pick would be "popular" enough to be invited. You think?

Well you'd think the QB that you think would be the #1 NFL pick would be "popular" enough to be invited. You think?

So who is this Jordan Lynch that went in his stead?

(sorry badboy, just piggybackin' you're post)

Texian's right here.

I remember when Aikman entered the draft. Rodney Peete won the Heisman, I think, and clearly had a better college year. However, watching Aikman at UCLA, one could see the quick release and remarkable accuracy on all short and intermediate routes... just incredible consistency throwing the ball. He looked like a pro quarterback. I think Bridgewater has a similar argument. I have seen less of him than I did of Aikman. However, he appears to have key NFL tools that translate very well. Also, like Aikman, he seems to have intangibles that translate to the NFL. I don't know that he will be a great NFL QB, but I think only potential injury issues could keep him from being a quality starting QB. His release, accuracy, motion, arm strength, decision-making, etc... all in a pro style offense are very good. Most QB prospects with similar credentials have worked out very well:

Matt Ryan
Peyton Manning
Eli Manning
Troy Aikman
Andrew Luck
Phillip Rivers

are some examples that come to mind of well-rounded QB prospects whose criticism generally came down to the fact that they didn't have any one phyiscally dominant trait that scouts could flip over.

Three things generally result in big mistakes in the first round regarding QBs:

1. infatuation with one physical attribute- great arm, explosiveness, etc...

2. product of a gimmicky college offense.

3. Lacking the character needed to handle the money, fame, pressure.

Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.

I remember when Aikman entered the draft. Rodney Peete won the Heisman, I think, and clearly had a better college year. However, watching Aikman at UCLA, one could see the quick release and remarkable accuracy on all short and intermediate routes... just incredible consistency throwing the ball. He looked like a pro quarterback. I think Bridgewater has a similar argument. I have seen less of him than I did of Aikman. However, he appears to have key NFL tools that translate very well. Also, like Aikman, he seems to have intangibles that translate to the NFL. I don't know that he will be a great NFL QB, but I think only potential injury issues could keep him from being a quality starting QB. His release, accuracy, motion, arm strength, decision-making, etc... all in a pro style offense are very good. Most QB prospects with similar credentials have worked out very well:

Matt Ryan

Peyton Manning

Eli Manning

Troy Aikman

Andrew Luck

Phillip Rivers

are some examples that come to mind of well-rounded QB prospects whose criticism generally came down to the fact that they didn't have any one phyiscally dominant trait that scouts could flip over.

Three things generally result in big mistakes in the first round regarding QBs:

1. infatuation with one physical attribute- great arm, explosiveness, etc...

2. product of a gimmicky college offense.

3. Lacking the character needed to handle the money, fame, pressure.

Bridgewater appears to be a clutch player and a winner, who does not lack any needed skills and has operated in a pro style offense. Is he a better option than one of the other potential pick (Clowney, Matthews, etc..)? I don't know. Will he be a bust? I seriously doubt it. I just see no evidence to support that.

I couldn't agree more. I also believe he's the pick, because they can't afford to way for a latter round qb and end up in the same position they're in right now.

Sent from the future...

Reposting this. If anyone can find more games to add to the list, please post and link them. I'd like to find more of his 2013 games, but I didn't see any on Youtube.

2013 season in order of schedule (the ones I could find):

UL vs Ohio 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCXEwGsJUHc

UL vs Eastern Kentucky 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKSvFriM0PI

UL vs Kentucky 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZzmXxB64ec

UL vs FIU highlights 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z4sXiTw8zI

UL vs Houston 2013:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQKN-F6fk6I

2012 season in order of schedule (the ones I could find):

UL vs Kentucky 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ_uMplUEY

UL vs UNC 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQ_uMplUEY

UL vs Pitt 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kkk0ZTRPDI

UL vs USF 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k922kI7X2qI

UL vs Cincy 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB5xvBbLszk

UL vs Temple 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5uXu_TejM

UL vs Syracuse 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxxnyvJzt-4

UL vs UCON 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkqprC7jYI

UL vs Rutgers 2012:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ELPwI9_y5U

UL vs Florida in the Sugar Bowl 2012:
http://youtu.be/VmyPaOy7OTs

Compilation highlight/Heisman video of TB. Worth a watch if you want to know some more about his personal life. Kubiak would definitely say he's a good kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxA8zqa6MEg

Teddy Bridgewater's Story by ESPN (full segment):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lizVzzsbFQU

Found this video, it's kinda funny and I'm sure the critics will enjoy it. TB is terrible at sliding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KcWzu7LTI

How many Big East (since it's become inferior) and AAC players have been considered for the Heisman if they didn't have an undefeated season?

BTW, he would have been a front runner for the Heisman if he had the ball last in that game against UCF.

With the game on the line and 7 minutes left he orchestrated a drive that went down the field and scored the go-ahead TD w/ 3:00 mins left. The problem was that he left too much time on the clock for another 1st-2nd round QB in Blake Bortles, who drove down the field to win.

This doesn't even factor in that there are likely 0 prospects on Louisville's roster (except him, a WR that you can say has his success attributed to Teddy B being the QB, a 3/4 RB (same thing) and a FS) that will be playing football on Sundays.

Great post.

How many Big East (since it's become inferior) and AAC players have been considered for the Heisman if they didn't have an undefeated season?

BTW, he would have been a front runner for the Heisman if he had the ball last in that game against UCF.

With the game on the line and 7 minutes left he orchestrated a drive that went down the field and scored the go-ahead TD w/ 3:00 mins left. The problem was that he left too much time on the clock for another 1st-2nd round QB in Blake Bortles, who drove down the field to win.

Not necessarily, it was in his own backyard and they were expected to win easily. Bortles was the best QB on the field that day. Teddy didn't make the Top 10 finalist for the Heisman.

This UCF/Louisville thing is getting silly. Both QBs had a field day. Neither defense stopped either of them. Bortles had the ball last and did what he had to do, which was necessary because Bridgewater had just done the same exact thing.

No, the correct-est answer is to blame the QB when his defense allows 30+ points to be scored. See: Tony Romo. :kitten:

No, the correct-est answer is to blame the QB when his defense allows 30+ points to be scored. See: Tony Romo. :kitten:

Offenses are often just as responsible to the other team scoring as the defense is .... Turnovers , field position and failure to sustain drives.

How many of those issues plagued The Sh!tpies Vs the Packers ??!

Neither did Blake.

Blake didn't begin the new season as the media darling and the consensus #1 draft pick and the favorite to when the Heisman like Teddy. Blake didn't even appear on the National radar until he went in to Louisville and beat Teddy in Teddy's house.

Thanks to the comments on this thread, I am perfectly fine if we take Bridgewater #1. No, he isn't a guarantee, but there are very few players that are. He definitely shows the upside that with the right coaching, he could be special. I like the clutch plays he has made in his career as well.

Teddy to Houston.

Blake didn't begin the new season as the media darling and the consensus #1 draft pick and the favorite to when the Heisman like Teddy. Blake didn't even appear on the National radar until he went in to Louisville and beat Teddy in Teddy's house.

Winston managed to win the Heisman despite not being on any preseason lists.

Teddy didn't do anything to lose the Heisman either. His numbers this year were superior to McCarron's but because his defense gave up 38 pts to UCF he was taken off every ballot the next day. He had to put up huge numbers this year to prove himself 'worthy' of the award because he plays in a smaller conference. He had no room for error when it came to the race.

His "error" was throwing for 341 yards and 2 TD's in "his" loss.

The Heisman has become more of award handed out to the best offensive player on a team with a great record than "the most outstanding player award."

I think Winston is a hell of a talent .... but I have to wonder how many of those votes came as a result of his teams success than on his being the most outstanding player in the country.

Ya ask me Jordan Lynch was probably the "most outstanding" (offensive) football player in the NCAA this year. Dude put up video game numbers with much less talent around him.

The Heisman has become more of award handed out to the best offensive player on a team with a great record than "the most outstanding player award."

I think Winston is a hell of a talent .... but I have to wonder how many of those votes came as a result of his teams success than on his being the most outstanding player in the country.

Ya ask me Jordan Lynch was probably the "most outstanding" (offensive) football player in the NCAA this year. Dude put up video game numbers with much less talent around him.

I wouldn't have minded .

I totally agree and have been a critic of the Heisman for a number of years now.

I was only pointing out to Texian that his argument is ridiculous. He believes that Bridgewater is not worth the #1 pick because he was not a Heisman finalist, which is silly just by itself.

But then he does not hold his guy (Bortles) to the same standard. As he was also not a finalist. Texian's excuse is that Bortles was not a frontrunner in the preseason. I am just pointing out that Winston wasn't either and he won the thing.

I totally agree and have been a critic of the Heisman for a number of years now.

I was only pointing out to Texian that his argument is ridiculous. He believes that Bridgewater is not worth the #1 pick because he was not a Heisman finalist, which is silly just by itself.

But then he does not hold his guy (Bortles) to the same standard. As he was also not a finalist. Texian's excuse is that Bortles was not a frontrunner in the preseason. I am just pointing out that Winston wasn't either and he won the thing.

The only concern I'll have with teddy is if he has 8.5 inch hands . That's about an inch under average and 2 inches less than Brett Favre .

Winston did it by beating some BIG Name and top notch competition in a dominate fashion, going undefeated and his team being #1 in the country. Teddy not so much.

The only concern I'll have with teddy is if he has 8.5 inch hands . That's about an inch under average and 2 inches less than Brett Favre .

Where did you get this information? I tried Googling this after you posted it and haven't been able to find anything to confirm this other than the article talking about 'wearing gloves is sometimes a sign of small hands.'

8.5" is pretty small. I started reading an article about how this affects things and it seemed pretty informative from a couple of standpoints:

http://www.eagleseyeblog.com/2010-articles/june/qbs-hands-does-size-really-matter.html

He just turned 21 less than a month ago. Hopefully his mits will grow a little larger.

I also looked to see how many fumbles he's had in his collegiate career to see if it's a large number that can be attributed to small hands, but I can't find this number. Does anyone have a good website or answer to the number of fumbles?

Winston did it by beating some BIG Name and top notch competition in a dominate fashion, going undefeated and his team being #1 in the country. Teddy not so much.

I am a bit surprised you dont like Teddy Texian. You gave a very convincing outlook on RG3 that I thought you would love this kid too especially since Teddy comes from a pro style offense and RG3 came from the spread. For me his story with his mom and cancer hit too close too home and they both won me over. They are two people I would love to be the face of the Texans and our community.

Teddy didn't do anything to lose the Heisman either. His numbers this year were superior to McCarron's but because his defense gave up 38 pts to UCF he was taken off every ballot the next day. He had to put up huge numbers this year to prove himself 'worthy' of the award because he plays in a smaller conference. He had no room for error when it came to the race.

His "error" was throwing for 341 yards and 2 TD's in "his" loss.

Johnny Manziel dropped for losing to LSU in Baton Rouge. Teddy's error was losing at home and for struggling against teams like Houston and Memphis. If Teddy was everything that you think he is you would think he would have at least been in Top 10 in Heisman voting. Bill Walsh says, believe what your eyes and ears are telling you.

Back