Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Some people are going to pissed when Davenport is starting day 1 at LT. Yall should know this coach by now.

Setting yourself up again to be ticked off all season long.

He's not getting any reps there. I think he'll end up LT because he's the least bad, but it will take a few games of Watson getting pounded

Some people are going to pissed when Davenport is starting day 1 at LT. Yall should know this coach by now.

Setting yourself up again to be ticked off all season long.

Setting myself up to LOL at the Texans org and watching Watson in alot of pain

@PatDStat: Will have more on the site later. It’s not breaking news but reaffirming what everyone already knew. As camp practices have piled up and fatigue has set in both mentally and physically. Matt Kalil has progressively struggled. Today was his worst day by far. #Texans

Thst can be mitigated with the short game. Dink and donk will keep him upright.

Players of his caliber will always get hit a lot.

Did you see the ol Thursday night? Lol

Watson is in for a long painful yr. No amount of dinking and dunking is going to change this. Sad really when they had the cap space/draft capital to prevent the bearings.

Watson is in for a long painful yr. No amount of dinking and dunking is going to change this. Sad really when they had the cap space/draft capital to prevent the bearings.

This is true. We don't have starting NFL caliber tackles on the roster

Preseason dude. Did you not see we didn't have our true starting offensive linemen out there?

Didn't you not see the same lethargic offense Bill Obrien employed out there. No creativity whatsoever.

It was just an interview for the new rooks and new FA.

Preseason dude. Did you not see we didn't have our true starting offensive linemen out there?

Didn't you not see the same lethargic offense Bill Obrien employed out there. No creativity whatsoever.

This is true. We don't have starting NFL caliber tackles on the roster

That's why it's important for Bill to draw up a quicker game plan.

Somehow BOB not showing the offense in preseason with Webb at QB (like every other HC) is an indictment of BOB.

Untill they upgrade the or positions you can expect more of the same old same old.

Somehow BOB not showing the offense in preseason with Webb at QB (like every other HC) is an indictment of BOB.

Untill they upgrade the or positions you can expect more of the same old same old.

No 6 years of the same stuff is an indictment on Bill O'Brien. Not using these preseason games to get his damn starters key reps before the season starts, is an indictment on Bill O'Brien.

The darn MVP played a series in the first preseason game.

Yes a few teams didn't play a lot of their starters in the first game. But a lot of those teams do not have the problems we have. A lot of these teams are not starting the season off 0-4 or 1-4 like we are accustomed to doing.

Here we are again about to trout out basically a new offensive line unit. And you don't think it's very important to build up the continuity between unit way before the actual season starters.

Last edited:
This is classic Obrien. 2 years after a problem presents itself (DB wants out) he's still looking for an LT to develop. Maybe he has the right man for 2 years time. Its exactly the same as he was with the QB position.

And of course they wasted a third round pick on Rankin hoping he could play LT when most scouting reports said he couldn't stick

Just out of curiosity, what do you expect from a third round OL pick?

It's always a crapshoot, you hope to get someone who can contribute but they often bust. 3rd round isn't a low round, so you hope to get some return there.

My issue is just the thought process of burning a pick hoping he can play LT despite the scouting. If he was always gonna be a guard did this pick make sense?

It's always a crapshoot, you hope to get someone who can contribute but they often bust. 3rd round isn't a low round, so you hope to get some return there.

My issue is just the thought process of burning a pick hoping he can play LT despite the scouting. If he was always gonna be a guard did this pick make sense?

I've got no idea what BO'b was thinking when they drafted Rankin. I only hope Gaine was thinking to replace Kelemente or Fulton long term.

Similar to the way he drafted two tackles to eventually replace Henderson & Kalil.

But again, BO'b had to get in the middle of everything & muddy the waters.

I don't consider him a wasted pick as of yet. But so far he is trending to XSF direction. The reports coming out of camp aren't positive at all.

Hopefully the young fella puts it together sooner rather than later.

I think it's too early to call Rankin a bust. But OBrien seems to think he is

I've got no idea what BO'b was thinking when they drafted Rankin. I only hope Gaine was thinking to replace Kelemente or Fulton long term.

Similar to the way he drafted two tackles to eventually replace Henderson & Kalil.

But again, BO'b had to get in the middle of everything & muddy the waters.

My theory is he reaches for need and doesn't understand why that's bad

Tweet from @PatDStat: @BlackSundayTxns @JoeM709 Problem is most of Howard’s work has come at LG. Very minimal reps at LT. Might be too late for that right now. Only like 3 weeks left to the regular season.

Tweet from @PatDStat: @Aldorubio07 @BlackSundayTxns @JoeM709 They don’t seem, imo, to rush his development. Keeping him at LG appears to be the plan.

It appears that O'Brien went all in on Kalil at starting LT. Only other person to get significant reps is Roderick I think.

This coming week will be interesting. Will he give another guy a chance to compete at LT or will he stick with kalil?

Concerns for Matt Kalil at Left Tackle
It comes as little of a surprise that the concern for Matt Kalil is mounting, especially after his fall from grace from a potential top-end left tackle to start his career. With injuries piling up over the seasons, former general manager Brian Gaine and the Texans took a chance on Kalil.

The start of camp left many hopeful for Kalil seeing him move well and handle what was in front of him during practices. Unfortunately, when padded practices started, the game changed for him. When he was matched up with Whitney Mercilus and J.J. Watt, his issues began to show.

Fast forward to today's practice. It was quickly the worst performance of the Kalil experience since he arrived. With mental and physical fatigue piling up on Kalil, he struggled terribly at left tackle. Brennan Scarlett and Mercilus both made it look easy getting to Deshaun Watson during team drills. Scarlett just walked Kalil back towards Watson, and when Watson started to escape the pocket, Scarlett tossed Kalil off of him to touch Watson on his shoulders to signal a sack. As for Mercilus, he put on a spin move on Kalil where he set him up for an outside move and spun off the Kalil pass set and ended up with a wide-open lane on the inside straight to Watson. That too would have ended up a sack.

What the Texans plan is to this point is unknown. They do not appear in a rush to push Tytus Howard to left tackle after working him at left guard since he arrived. They want to continue to develop Howard properly and now rush his development.

Julien Davenport and Roderick Johnson are the next options, but until they start getting work with the first-team offense, it is all speculation. After the terrible day by Kalil, the Texans have to be concerned with the direction Kalil is trending in camp. There is little reason to think this will improve during the regular season.

https://mavensports.io/texans/news/...-belongs-observations-62x8QsxgTUGP6tYdt5LnhQ/

Tweet from @PatDStat: @BlackSundayTxns @Aldorubio07 @JoeM709 Howard is not ready for LT imo.

Tweet from @PatDStat: @BlackSundayTxns @Aldorubio07 @JoeM709 I don’t think they want to do what they did to Rankin last year. They wasted a year of development bouncing his around. They want Howard to get used to the speed of the game from the inside. Same with Max. Then bump them out. They are just not ready for the speed on the edges.

It appears that O'Brien went all in on Kalil at starting LT. Only other person to get significant reps is Roderick I think.

This coming week will be interesting. Will he give another guy a chance to compete at LT or will he stick with kalil?

Remember he had Davenport working on the left side all of camp last season. As soon as Henderson went down. He moved him to the right. Lol so this shouldn't be a surprise to ya.

I agree Davenport should be LT. But is he getting any reps there?
No and not necessarily should he be. We signed Kalil as a cap casualty ($7 m savings) from Carolina 30 YOA last month prime age with a team friendly contract. Texans hoping for "pot o' gold" if he could get on field. I went "whut?" but cap hit is only $2.25 m if we cut or trade him so no huge expense. So--he gets snaps and lots, right?
Roderick Johnson :spit: right? Same with Steinmetz and Leonard.

I believe Gaine's plan was either Howard or Scharping could become 'the' guy while Kalil hobbled through most of the season starting and allowing both to get reg game snaps. None of those have been good and Scharping IIRC has gotten few if any snaps on left side so--

Tweet from @PatDStat: @BlackSundayTxns @Aldorubio07 @JoeM709 Howard is not ready for LT imo.

Tweet from @PatDStat: @BlackSundayTxns @Aldorubio07 @JoeM709 I don’t think they want to do what they did to Rankin last year. They wasted a year of development bouncing his around. They want Howard to get used to the speed of the game from the inside. Same with Max. Then bump them out. They are just not ready for the speed on the edges.
Quick thought experiment. Fast forward a year and this tactic has worked. Both Howard and Scharping have excelled as Guards and earned their move to the Tackle spots.

You've put up with a year of awful play at those T spots causing you issues, and given up on the Guards you did have in development.

How do you now justify the gamble of whether they play Tackle well and also need to go through finding a new pair of guards all over again at that point?

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/matt-kalil?id=2533131

In Scientific Terms

Is inadequate in Pb in his instrument for writing or drawing, consisting of a thin stick of graphite or a similar substance enclosed in a long thin piece of wood or fixed in a metal or plastic case.

WEAKNESSES
There are some concerns surrounding Kalil's ability to anchor and stall bull rushers, given his tendency to play upright. There were few examples of his anchor actually being an issue in college, but the limited level of knee bend he plays with could stand to be a concern. He rarely snaps his hips through when blocking in the run game and is more of a mirror/positional blocker. He could have to work on his knee bend and flexibility to take on the more explosive ends in the NFL.

You've put up with a year of awful play at those T spots causing you issues, and given up on the Guards you did have in development.

How do you now justify the gamble of whether they play Tackle well and also need to go through finding a new pair of guards all over again at that point?

You'd be talking about Rankin's third year in the league. Sure, he may be ready now. One year in reserve may help him.

Now if Fulton is our new Center maybe Martin makes a good Guard. Or we draft one at 23.

Tweet from @Cover_1_: Not sure Nsekhe is going to relinquish that RT spot. That and more https://www.cover1.net/buffalo-bills-indianapolis-colts-player-reviews-ty-nsekhe/ https://t.co/mG0nuys4Ss

He is a guy I wish they went for in the offseason.

He got a 2 year/$10 mil contract with buffalo after playing for redskins several years.

Seantrel got 1 year/$4.5mil
Kalil got 1 year/$7.5 mil

According to football analytics outlet Pro Football Focus, Nsekhe earned a grade of 67.8 as a fill-in tackle for the Redskins last season.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...CRAB&usg=AOvVaw1PHK6uTRBVLhuuswCTyV7b&ampcf=1

This is a guy who is cheap and not a pro bowler, but very competent at his position and is healthy.
Well it is a bit more complicated than that. Nsekhe a back up tackle had knee injuries with Washington last season as did Henderson and Kalil but the difference was GTD $ as with Clowney.

Henderson GTD one season $1 million; Kalil GTD $ 2.25; Nsekhe 34 YOA Oct post June 1st $4.7 million. I wouldn't have wanted either of the three.

The Texans need to quit dicking around and make Washington an offer they can't refuse for Williams.
As season progresses, TWill's worth should only increase so Washington could rightfully be holding on for a while also hoping he will come in game one despite his comments. His name has been mentioned much more than it would have him doing what he has done for seven years; let the guy bask. This is not an auction where Texans say "2020 third and 2021 second" then PATS say "we will give all three of our thirds" then Raiders say "take our late round one!" and all interested knows what is on the table. Texans have to figure out what the other guy is likely to do because we know they will be castigated if they give a first and could have had him for a third.

As season progresses, TWill's worth should only increase so Washington could rightfully be holding on for a while also hoping he will come in game one despite his comments. His name has been mentioned much more than it would have him doing what he has done for seven years; let the guy bask. This is not an auction where Texans say "2020 third and 2021 second" then PATS say "we will give all three of our thirds" then Raiders say "take our late round one!" and all interested knows what is on the table. Texans have to figure out what the other guy is likely to do because we know they will be castigated if they give a first and could have had him for a third.
I would offer 2020 1st for him.

My question would be if Redskins put Trent Williams on the trade block, does anyone here think O’Brian would step up and pay the cost to get him? I would say it’s gonna take a 1st and 2nd. Which would mean Texans wouldn’t have a 2020 pick until the 4th rd. Personally I would do it but doubt O’Brian feels the same :cutthroat:

My theory is he reaches for need and doesn't understand why that's bad
Reaches for need. Yeah. Maybe it was because Texans didn’t have a pick until the third round and at that point he was the eighth OT taken in that draft. Reach or best available OT at that point? If it was a reach then why wasn’t he our first third round selection that year instead of Reid? That would be a reach for need then, right? Reid was the BPA then, right? Smh. Edit. At that point texans needed to rebuild the entire OL. My theory is that he also projected best to G than any other available OT at that point. Texans ultimately wanted an OLman and would try him at G if T didn’t work out. They NEEDED a body on OL.

Last edited:
Back