Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

As season progresses, TWill's worth should only increase so Washington could rightfully be holding on for a while also hoping he will come in game one despite his comments. His name has been mentioned much more than it would have him doing what he has done for seven years; let the guy bask. This is not an auction where Texans say "2020 third and 2021 second" then PATS say "we will give all three of our thirds" then Raiders say "take our late round one!" and all interested knows what is on the table. Texans have to figure out what the other guy is likely to do because we know they will be castigated if they give a first and could have had him for a third.
I would take that castigation in stride if I got my LT for the next 5+ years, assuming he is extended by the Texans. Williams, Howard and Fulton would make a pretty mean left side.

My question would be if Redskins put Trent Williams on the trade block, does anyone here think O’Brian would step up and pay the cost to get him? I would say it’s gonna take a 1st and 2nd. Which would mean Texans wouldn’t have a 2020 pick until the 4th rd. Personally I would do it but doubt O’Brian feels the same :cutthroat:

The Texans might be a paper tiger this season. Stringing a few wins together, backing into the playoffs. Just enough for the usual excuses to end in the Divisional round.

Get Trent Williams in here & we're true contenders.

True contenders.

I know what I would do.

I would take that castigation in stride if I got my LT for the next 5+ years, assuming he is extended by the Texans. Williams, Howard and Fulton would make a pretty mean left side.
Skins QB’s are a potential disaster this year. They may take a high pick to package with others to get a QB next draft. But screw trading Clowney for him.

The Texans might be a paper tiger this season. Stringing a few wins together, backing into the playoffs. Just enough for the usual excuses to end in the Divisional round.

Get Trent Williams in here & we're true contenders.

True contenders.

I know what I would do.
I wonder how long it would take Williams to decide that he likes the Redskins medical staff better than the Texans OL assistant coaches. HA!!

@PatDStat: Will have more on the site later. It’s not breaking news but reaffirming what everyone already knew. As camp practices have piled up and fatigue has set in both mentally and physically. Matt Kalil has progressively struggled. Today was his worst day by far. #Texans
O’Brien will declare Matt Kalil a great LT, and order Texans fans to be proud of him. Ignore the beating Watson will repeatedly take drive after drive. O’Brien knows best. Yawn...

Skins QB’s are a potential disaster this year. They may take a high pick to package with others to get a QB next draft. But screw trading Clowney for him.

Skins may want a high pick but it will be because they know the worth of Williams. They took their high round QB this year, yes they could go again next year for QB although its not likely. I agree no Clowney for him. I'm curious as to what Williams would do with the coaching he would receive here. Also is our medical staff any better than the Redskins, whom he has an issue with...the Kalil experiment should end now, he will not get better and you know what you have in him (or what you don't have). Let those young ones learn now, if they fail miserably then turn to the old vets who you know what to expect and pray for Watson or that OB adjusts the play calling accordingly.

Wash rolls with Haskins as future starter and will be in top 6 in next draft. They can get either their choice at best OT there or a very good QB if desired without any trade for TWill.

Here's my idea if I were their GM:
1. Trade LT Williams to Houston plus RG Scherff (adding $12.75 and $12.25 =$25 m to current $11.5 m). I get Texans' first and second ('skins traded 2020 2nd to Colts for Sweat). Team no good for 2020 so build!

2. Trade down from top 6 to 12 ish still get my choice of LT and more picks.

I now have top 12 ish pick plus more and Texans first and second round. After 2019 season I am sitting on approx $30 million to roll over and add to my projected $35 space for 2020. I offer the picks back to Houston for Clowney who should have had a very good 2019 hopefully healthy and pay him. I draft my LT of future at #12 and with the rest of my trade down I replace RG Scheff. Christian was moved to LG 2019 and replaced at LT by Penn. I now have a very good Oline to block for my QB Haskins and greatly improved my defense with Clowney.

Now what do I think actually happens? TWill to Houston for our second round.

Reaches for need. Yeah. Maybe it was because Texans didn’t have a pick until the third round and at that point he was the eighth OT taken in that draft. Reach or best available OT at that point? If it was a reach then why wasn’t he our first third round selection that year instead of Reid? That would be a reach for need then, right? Reid was the BPA then, right? Smh. Edit. At that point texans needed to rebuild the entire OL. My theory is that he also projected best to G than any other available OT at that point. Texans ultimately wanted an OLman and would try him at G if T didn’t work out. They NEEDED a body on OL.

You address needs through FA and trade. Draft is bpa. Gaine even said so but then OBrien forces him to reach.

They failed in free agency, so they reach in the draft, then they overpay in a trade. It's like they keep digging when they're in a hole and the end result is a lack of talent.

And of course they didn't have a pick until the third because they thought it was genius to use a 2nd to trade osweiler. And they thought it would be fine to trade Duane brown. And that Jeff Allen could replace Brandon brooks. Etc. So they need a body and end up with a 3rd round bust in Rankin. How many bad decisions is a guy allowed to make before he's held accountable? The guy is still gaining power amazingly.

Last edited:
Well it is a bit more complicated than that. Nsekhe a back up tackle had knee injuries with Washington last season as did Henderson and Kalil but the difference was GTD $ as with Clowney.

Henderson GTD one season $1 million; Kalil GTD $ 2.25; Nsekhe 34 YOA Oct post June 1st $4.7 million. I wouldn't have wanted either of the three.

I wouldn't really say it's the same. Nsekhe has been a quality backup for years including last year. Kalil and Seantrel have been hurt and bad for half a decade at least.

Yes a little more gtd risk but not much. And if you don't cut them you're paying them more.

First preseason game doesn't mean too much for the Oline but the next two weeks are critical since starters play very little if any in the last preseason game
so got to really pick it up in the next two weeks so it's gonna be real interesting to see who they trot out there especially at LT this Saturday night.

Quick thought experiment. Fast forward a year and this tactic has worked. Both Howard and Scharping have excelled as Guards and earned their move to the Tackle spots.

You've put up with a year of awful play at those T spots causing you issues, and given up on the Guards you did have in development.

How do you now justify the gamble of whether they play Tackle well and also need to go through finding a new pair of guards all over again at that point?

Plus the fact that these OT's may get Watson killed. Williams should be a Texan week 1 if available

But this cheap ass franchise not only doesn't care about winning, they don't even care about their franchise QB.

Plus the fact that these OT's may get Watson killed. Williams should be a Texan week 1 if available

But this cheap ass franchise not only doesn't care about winning, they don't even care about their franchise QB.
I've waffled on signing William's. I certainly would not be down on the signing.

But the franchise, I believe, is wanting to build through the draft. If this is the case, then you have to trust your decisions of draft picks. Signing William's invalidates the signing of Rankin, who was picked to play on the left side either tackle or guard, with guard seemingly his best fit.

The way our recent drafts have gone, our OL should be: Howard, Rankin, Fulton, Scharping, Henderson.

Unless you think Rankin can move over to the right to challenge Henderson, signing Williams goes against your draft strategy and delegats a high draft pick to a backup role.

To sign William's, it will probably take next year's 1. This is too high a cost. The most I go is our 2, but I think the team should stick with the OL we have and invest next year's 1 or 2 on a RT, if Henderson doesn't work out.

First preseason game doesn't mean too much for the Oline but the next two weeks are critical since starters play very little if any in the last preseason game
so got to really pick it up in the next two weeks so it's gonna be real interesting to see who they trot out there especially at LT this Saturday night.
None of the pre-season games really mean much. Most of the work gets done in practice. Last year the starters got 11 snaps in the 3rd PS game.

Are there any more joint practices?

I would offer 2020 1st for him.

So if O'Brien is running things now as he was reportedly doing during the Draft why do you think he'd give up a 1st for Trent Williams when he was unwilling to even give up an additional third round pick to move up and get Andre Dillard ?

You address needs through FA and trade. Draft is bpa. Gaine even said so but then OBrien forces him to reach.

They failed in free agency, so they reach in the draft, then they overpay in a trade. It's like they keep digging when they're in a hole and the end result is a lack of talent.

And of course they didn't have a pick until the third because they thought it was genius to use a 2nd to trade osweiler. And they thought it would be fine to trade Duane brown. And that Jeff Allen could replace Brandon brooks. Etc. So they need a body and end up with a 3rd round bust in Rankin. How many bad decisions is a guy allowed to make before he's held accountable? The guy is still gaining power amazingly.
All total baloney. Every team in the NFL, due to parity, have needs at most positions every year. No way trades and FA fill the needs. Wouldn’t have any cap space or draft choices and would still have needs. And who says a bpa isn’t a need. Reid is an excellent example. Teams go down their draft board and fill needs with a bpa. Rankin was a good pick at that spot. Who says he is a bust. He’s just starting his second year and first TC because of last years injury. BTW, take every star on the team and hold OB accountable just to be fair.

All total baloney. Every team in the NFL, due to parity, have needs at most positions every year. No way trades and FA fill the needs. Wouldn’t have any cap space or draft choices and would still have needs. And who says a bpa isn’t a need. Reid is an excellent example. Teams go down their draft board and fill needs with a bpa. Rankin was a good pick at that spot. Who says he is a bust. He’s just starting his second year and first TC because of last years injury. BTW, take every star on the team and hold OB accountable just to be fair.

"The whole draft need thing is – I don’t really understand that," said Belichick. "You put a card up on the board. That doesn’t mean the guy is a good player. I think it’s important to acquire good players wherever they are. If you take a player at a position that you might so called 'need' but he’s not good enough to fill that need, then it’s a wasted pick. So, I don’t understand the whole need thing. I understand player value, and that’s what we try to go by."

https://985thesportshub.com/2018/04/13/bill-belichick-draft-press-conference/

I've waffled on signing William's. I certainly would not be down on the signing.

But the franchise, I believe, is wanting to build through the draft. If this is the case, then you have to trust your decisions of draft picks. Signing William's invalidates the signing of Rankin, who was picked to play on the left side either tackle or guard, with guard seemingly his best fit.

The way our recent drafts have gone, our OL should be: Howard, Rankin, Fulton, Scharping, Henderson.

Unless you think Rankin can move over to the right to challenge Henderson, signing Williams goes against your draft strategy and delegats a high draft pick to a backup role.

To sign William's, it will probably take next year's 1. This is too high a cost. The most I go is our 2, but I think the team should stick with the OL we have and invest next year's 1 or 2 on a RT, if Henderson doesn't work out.
Wondering if anyone watched Leonard the other night. I thought the guy looked ok at LT. I’ve tried to find out anything about the guy as a Texan with no success other than he was a fourth round pick by the Saints last year.

Well that's interesting. He's better at the position he hasn't been coached at.

But also, looks like it was run blocking at LG was the problem

My take is that he's probably been a tackle most of his playing career at all levels. Has been the most athletic big guy at the schools he's attended. Naturally gifted to play the tackle position, specifically the LT for this team. I mean thats what the scouts and coaches saw in him right? So much so that they took the guy who many had as a 3rd-4th guy in the 1st round.

Then what do you do? You say that the most horrendous set of tackles on the team are going to be your starters and that the young guys need to be more polished to play the tackle position so what do you do? Play them at guards! LOL .. i've run across statements from ex players how switching positions at the highest level is not as easy as many would assume. The dudes who are successful in bouncing around the line are usually your all pro type guys if not even the HOF type dudes like Bruce Matthews.

I really wasnt surprised to hear that Tytus played better at tackle.

"The whole draft need thing is – I don’t really understand that," said Belichick. "You put a card up on the board. That doesn’t mean the guy is a good player. I think it’s important to acquire good players wherever they are. If you take a player at a position that you might so called 'need' but he’s not good enough to fill that need, then it’s a wasted pick. So, I don’t understand the whole need thing. I understand player value, and that’s what we try to go by."

https://985thesportshub.com/2018/04/13/bill-belichick-draft-press-conference/
What is the all omniscient bpa draft board? There isn’t one. Every position has a bpa list. Every team has theirs. Come on. The Texans got wasted for drafting TE,s the past two years. Wasn’t a need in that round. But the word out of the draft room was they really liked their athleticism, etc. Every draft when a team is on the board all you hear is that team needs so and so and the screen is filled with bpa at that position. And usually that team follows the script unless they want to go by Mel Kiper’s holy grail. Edit. BB is saying the same thing I am, btw. Every draft is filled with “wasted picks”, BB’s included simply by missing on player value.

Last edited:
Because Trent Williams is what everyone hopes Andre Dillard will be.
Yes while being some 8 or 9 years older than the rookie Dillard, but the thing is Dillard may soon be Williams peer professionally speaking with so much less wear and tear
and with many more years in his career remaining. And what an act of desperation that would be to so mortgage the future.
It would be great if fans like us had an organization that allowed the transparency to know all of the reasons why Dillard and not Tytus Howard is now on our roster ?
Or for that matter to know all of the reasons why the Texans drafted Mario William instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young > 10 years ago ?
We will never know in full the answers to those questions, we are just left to guess and speculate.

None of the pre-season games really mean much. Most of the work gets done in practice. Last year the starters got 11 snaps in the 3rd PS game.

Are there any more joint practices?

No more joint practices.

One of the reasons why the offensive line been so awful.

Yeah Dillard looked better than Tytus, i can't lie..He's just more polished than Tytus is at this point. Nothing i saw from Dillard just wowed me though.. He looks like he'll be susceptible to the bull rush to me.

@PatDStat: Offense leaking everywhere. Multiple sacks would have been given up. Justin Reid, Zach Cunningham and Whitney Mercilus all would have had one. #Texans

@PatDStat: No Matt Kalil today. #Texans taking a look at Roderick Johnson.

@PatDStat: Now Julién Davenport. https://t.co/38RuNVmrvI
Johnson is intriging. Will he at a minimum be an improvement over Davenport? A 5th round selection in the 2017 draft by the Browns. Was placed on injured reserve before the season and has never appeared in a game. An unknown prospect.

Yes while being some 8 or 9 years older than the rookie Dillard, but the thing is Dillard may soon be Williams peer professionally speaking with so much less wear and tear
and with many more years in his career remaining. And what an act of desperation that would be to so mortgage the future.
It would be great if fans like us had an organization that allowed the transparency to know all of the reasons why Dillard and not Tytus Howard is now on our roster ?
Or for that matter to know all of the reasons why the Texans drafted Mario William instead of Reggie Bush or Vince Young > 10 years ago ?
We will never know in full the answers to those questions, we are just left to guess and speculate.

Trading a 1st for an all pro or isn't mortgaging the future. In fact going with this group of ot's to protect Watson is mortgaging the future. Because without your franchise QB you have nothing. They need to get Watson as much help as possible and adding Williams would be a great start.

Trading a 1st for an all pro or isn't mortgaging the future. In fact going with this group of ot's to protect Watson is mortgaging the future. Because without your franchise QB you have nothing. They need to get Watson as much help as possible and adding Williams would be a great start.
I dunno would the Eagles trade us Dillard for Howard & our 2020 second & a third. Now that's the deal I'm talking about.

I dunno would the Eagles trade us Dillard for Howard & our 2020 second & a third. Now that's the deal I'm talking about.

You could probably hear the Eagles front office laughing all the way down here if you offered that! They thought so highly of Dillard that not only did they move up for him, but they are letting him learn the ropes as an NFL left tackle, and they are not even going to start him, let alone play him at guard.

You could probably hear the Eagles front office laughing all the way down here if you offered that! They thought so highly of Dillard that not only did they move up for him, but they are letting him learn the ropes as an NFL left tackle, and they are not even going to start him, let alone play him at guard.

An advantage the Eagles had over us. I've said all along that no matter if Dillard is better or not for us the Texans he would not be good because he would have to start pretty much game one and he would have Devlin as a coach. All this while having never been apart of any run blocking because of the college system he played under. With the Eagles he will ride the bench for a year or just come in for short bursts, learn from a future HoF LT and, oh yeah, have a real Oline coach.

In other words he will get to learn how to swim before being tossed overboard in the middle of the ocean. If you gave Howard all of that I wonder what his ceiling would be? On the plus side Howard gets to line up across from JJ when Watt isn't actually trying to break the QB he's guarding and can give tips on what gives him trouble as a pass rusher.

Doesn’t surprise me. Hasn’t this kid been on the practice squad since coming into the league? Going against third stringers won’t get you ready for elite competition.
Was on the Brown's IR 2017; participated in the Texans 2018 TC; was on the 53 for about half the season but not on the 46 (I think).

Good collegiate career and good measurables. Negatives are body control, balance and footwork.

An advantage the Eagles had over us. I've said all along that no matter if Dillard is better or not for us the Texans he would not be good because he would have to start pretty much game one and he would have Devlin as a coach. All this while having never been apart of any run blocking because of the college system he played under. With the Eagles he will ride the bench for a year or just come in for short bursts, learn from a future HoF LT and, oh yeah, have a real Oline coach.

In other words he will get to learn how to swim before being tossed overboard in the middle of the ocean. If you gave Howard all of that I wonder what his ceiling would be? On the plus side Howard gets to line up across from JJ when Watt isn't actually trying to break the QB he's guarding and can give tips on what gives him trouble as a pass rusher.

But normally you want your 1st round picks to start and contribute right away. Especially those teams who have situations on their offensive line. I watched the Cowboys build their powerhouse through the draft. And those monsters started right away.

But normally you want your 1st round picks to start and contribute right away. Especially those teams who have situations on their offensive line. I watched the Cowboys build their powerhouse through the draft. And those monsters started right away.

True but you also normally have an Oline coach that doesn't pick what position they'll play by throwing darts at a board every morning. In all seriousness I thought this class was really weak for linemen. Dillard was considered a round one almost by default but don't kid yourself there were some major red flags with him. Eagles were one of the few teams that could make him worth a 1st round pick in my book because they didn't need him to start. He's there to be the heir to their HoFer that may not have many seasons left.

Again lets not forget we are talking about mid 20s even if its a first round, these aren't top 10 or even top 15 players.

@fduffy3: All eyes were on #Eagles 1st-Round Pick Andre Dillard on Thursday night, and he did not disappoint. We knew about his great feet, but look at the hand usage on some of these clips. Great to see from the rookie. #FlyEaglesFly https://t.co/p459gnOCY0
Gotta admit it's hard to hear this because Dillard was right there for the taking, just what the Texans needed and whoever was running our Draft clearly failed badly.

Back