Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

I now don't even want Nick Caserio anymore.. I want to pull this entire "tree" up at it's roots, piss on it, then light it on fire. It's time to bark up another tree. The complete incompetence here is blinding.

Kinda agree & disagree. Caserio has shown a lot of potential. My $64k question to him is will he limit his thinking to that tree or say if he thought WCO would be best for Watson would/could he shift tracks.

Those two small school guys at OG were the only bright spots on the line last night and played good last night, let's leave them out of this.. for now. The rookies outplayed our vets last night, let's see if that continues with more time with our awesome coaching.

When you get to the NFL, nobody cares what school you went to.

Back when I was young , my coach would have told Khalil that he couldn't knock a sick whore of a piss pot .

I just disagree shuffling guys you peg as starters on the Oline.

I think backups are the ones who should be doing multiple positions so they can step in for any starter if needed, and let the starters stay where they are at.

I get trying guys out at different spots, but at some point you gotta stick a guy somewhere if you plan on him starting and let him master his craft.
I agree with you 100%

My question though, is that where we are at?

Kalil has been gimpy since we signed him & hadn't started playing with the team until two weeks ago. If their plan was to start him & let Howard get experience in the mean time, then that's what we've been seeing & I dont have a problem with that.

However, I think what we saw last night warrants changing that plan because I doubt what we saw was much different than what's been happening the last three weeks.

I dont think I'm ready to throw Howard out there at LT just yet. Mainly because I'm not seeing a better Guard. But Davenport would my main guy.

Still planning to move Howard to LT in the future.

Last edited:
Kinda funny that everyone was on board with Rankin as the future LT last year and we've just moved on to thinking two new rookies will definitely 100% pan out

I agree with you 100%

Kalil has been gimpy since we signed him & hadn't started playing with the team until two weeks ago. If there plan was to start him & let Howard get experience in the mean time, then that's what we've been seeing & I dont have a problem with that.

However, I think what we saw last night warrants changing that plan because I doubt what we saw was much different than what's been happening the last three weeks.

I dont think I'm ready to throw Howard out there at LT just yet. Mainly because I'm not seeing a better Guard. But Davenport would my main guy.

It sounds like the reports from camp that the linemen are "holding their own" is a way for reporters to blow smoke up our ass without false reporting.

And O'Brien has no ability to evaluate players

Matt Kalil looked like he was on roller-skates last night in pass protection. I can't believe the Texans think that he is acceptable as a starting LT.

That's what I saw. Then when he pulled around to the right to put a wham block he got stood up by a 250lb LB.

$7.5M is too much for a backup & the gap is too big for where we need him to be. Time to move on to plan B, imo.

Last edited:
Kinda funny that everyone was on board with Rankin as the future LT last year and we've just moved on to thinking two new rookies will definitely 100% pan out

I don't remember anyone saying he was going to pan out as a LT. All the draft guys kept saying he should be moved to Guard from day 1.

Only steelbtexan saw the genius of throwing him in at LT week 1 after missing all of training camp.

When I saw him at Guard it looked like a future for him.

That's what I saw. Then when he pulled around to the right to pit a wham block he got stood up by a 250lb LB.

$7.5M is too much for a backup & the gap is too big for where we need him to be. Time to move on to plan B, imo.

Tytus Howard should be the game 1 starting LT. Its going to be rough, yes. It might get ugly at times, but its for the best long term.

I don't remember anyone saying he was going to pan out as a LT. All the draft guys kept saying he should be moved to Guard from day 1.

Only steelbtexan saw the genius of throwing him in at LT week 1 after missing all of training camp.

His future might be in the XFL .. his feet are a travesty to all the big, athletic dudes everywhere. just God awful feet. Painful to watch.

Well he played LT in college and both OBrien and gaine said they would try him at LT and see if he could stick. I agree with you though they should have developed him at guard the whole time.

As we know OBrien started him at LT. I think kailil will be the same. He'll start and be so bad we'll never hear from him again. But why can't OBrien figure this out in training camp and practice?

Wonder if they wish they would have traded up for Dillard now?

Glad they didn't.. wouldn't of changed a damn thing with this staff and would've only wasted more valuable picks..

THE ISSUE IS COACHING.. We could clone Joe Thomas and these idiots would find a way to F it up.

Before we spend anymore picks on this group we need to find capable people who actually know how to coach and develop them.

Tytus Howard has plenty of athletic ability/talent to play LT at a high level in this league.. what he doesn't have is even a average coach to get him there.

You guys are overreacting to a preseason game. They aren't supposed to look like real football players until about game 6 or 7
Oh my God, I busted out laughing at work reading that. My colleagues must think I am a nutjob. I appreciate the sarcasm and dry wit.

If caserio wants to work with OBrien then I have to seriously question his football acumen and think his role on the pats is small

Dude probably wants to get out there and do his own thing. He knows Bill Belichick has a hot minute to go before he throws in the retirement towel.

What Lunhow would have done is trade up for Dillard and see if Tytus fell to him in the second. Boom, left side fixed

Jeff Luhnow would've had this yearly ongoing clusterfuck fixed long before Dillard and Tytus even became draft eligible..

If this was a garden then the coaches/front office are the soil and the players/prospects are the seeds.. the ground is freaking rotten here! There's not a whole lot that's going to grow out of it.

Glad they didn't.. wouldn't of changed a damn thing with this staff and would've only wasted more valuable picks..

THE ISSUE IS COACHING.. We could clone Joe Thomas and these idiots would find a way to F it up.

Before we spend anymore picks on this group we need to find capable people who actually know how to coach and develop them.

Tytus Howard has plenty of athletic ability/talent to play LT at a high level in this league.. what he doesn't have is even a average coach to get him there.

His combine numbers suggest he's an avg athlete. Better suited for OG.

I agree with you 100%

Kalil has been gimpy since we signed him & hadn't started playing with the team until two weeks ago. If there plan was to start him & let Howard get experience in the mean time, then that's what we've been seeing & I dont have a problem with that.

Problem is the Oline is at a different point in their development than the rest of the team. The rest of the team is ready for a Super Bowl run and the oline is in rebuilding mode.

If they want to make a serious run they’ve got to make lemons out of lemonade over there due to their previous mismanagement. I want Howard to be LT but if he’s not ready are we going to stick him there anyways? If not and Howard starts and plays really well at guard why move him when he’s become a good player there?

When we got Duane we could afford to platoon him at LT because the entire team was in building mode. But they didn’t convolute his development by having him jump between guard and tackle.

At this point, imo, the two options should be:

Say screw it and let Howard take over at LT and hopefully by mid season he’s solid and he grows into a really good player there -or- my first choice, trade for Trent, play Howard at guard (since he seems to already be showing signs of being a good player there) and then you’ve got two spots locked up for the next few years and your LG spot locked up for the next decade.

But I just want some cohesion whichever way they do it. I’m tired of this putting sticks in a bag and shaking it up and hoping when it’s dumped out it’s a model of the Eiffel Tower.

Just put the damn pieces in place and build it.

Being unsure of where to play guys screams poor coaching/evaluation. These guys are in house now. They’ve gotten plenty of evaluation done before they arrived and now they’ve had them in house for a while now...and they still don’t know who’s better where?

Last edited:
Not sure how that would have helped since the problem isnt Howard it's that Howard can only play one spot on the line and can't be in two places at once. Even if they had taken Dillard they still would have the same problem.

Nope they would have an elite athlete playing LT. Instead of what we saw last night.

Kinda agree & disagree. Caserio has shown a lot of potential. My $64k question to him is will he limit his thinking to that tree or say if he thought WCO would be best for Watson would/could he shift tracks.
I am going to sound like Texian but I think Eliot Wolf would make a hell of a GM. I don't want anyone from the Patriots tree. Their system can't be replicated. They have the greatest coach and greatest QB in NFL history. I have always thought we should pattern ourselves after the Baltimore Ravens. They have won Super Bowls with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco at QB. Think about that. Eric DeCosta is now GM. I don't know if any of his underlings are ready for prime time. The Eagles are another team I would try to copy. Howie Roseman has been excellent in acquiring talent and hiring coaches. The structure and success of the Eagles and Ravens can be replicated. Get me a coach from the Andy Reid coaching tree and not Belichick's. Forget about the Patriots. Anyone who has left there has flopped.

Last edited:
I am going to sound like Texian but I think Eliot Wolf would make a hell of a GM. I don't want anyone from the Patriots tree. Their system can't be replicated. They have the greatest coach and greatest QB in NFL history. I have always thought we should pattern ourselves after the Baltimore Ravens. They have won Super Bowls with Trent Dilfer and Joe Flacco at QB. Think about that. Eric DeCosta is now GM. I don't know if any of his underlings are ready for prime time. The Eagles are another team I would try to copy. Howie Roseman has been excellent in acquiring talent and hiring coaches. The structure and success of the Eagles and Ravens can be replicated. Get me a coach from the Andy Reid coaching tree and not Belichick's. Forget about the Patriots. Anyone who has left there has flopped.

BB has a knack for instilling a HS/College mentality in the NFL where the team comes first. If players start to show a me first attitude, he sends them out the door, like the guy that got sent to the Cleveland Browns.

Plus, he knows how to use his players' best strengths.

Having said that, we need someone who comes from Parcell's tree. I believe he has a lot of coaches that either won SB's or at least been to them.

Really.. because his combine numbers are right there with other starting LTs in this league and this was a guy who didn't even have power 5 facilities to train in..

Luckily though players don't play in their underwear.

Who are the other OT's?

Williams I will agree with.

Draft a couple of small school avg athletes ask them to play right away and this is what you get.

It's what I was trying to tell you guys after the draft.

Matt Weston:

Matt Kalil and Seantrel Henderson were really bad yesterday. Kalil was a yellow rubber mat strewn across a soggy yard slip sliding around. His hands were atrocious. His base was floppy. And if Henderson was slightly better, it wasn’t by much. Again, Henderson has been injured since 2014 and has never been a good player in his career.

Currently these are the Texans starting tackles. I already yearn for Juli’en Davenport and Kendall Lamm. The good news is this is happening in the preseason. Hopefully the realization comes that this tackle combination is horrendous and it needs to be changed, and Houston can get Tytus Howard moved outside, and then figure out the rest from there.

Who are the other OT's?

Williams I will agree with.

Draft a couple of small school avg athletes ask them to play right away and this is what you get.

It's what I was trying to tell you guys after the draft.

And what I've been trying to tell you is none of that matters..

Also your Oline expertise is very suspect. You wanted us to make Nate Solder the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history (he is WELL below average), then Trent Brown (who isn't even playing LT now), and now you're moving on to the next name to frame your argument around..

If Tytus Howard fails it won't have anything to do with his athletic ability, he has plenty of it for the position. What could derail him is this crappy staff who's now instructing him.

No one talks about Roderick Johnson, but he got some time at LT as well and looked better there than Kalil and Tytus.
If we come out of this preseason with one wish for me it would be for one of these OL we’ve brought to camp the last couple of years to make that step up. Good size for these guys, some from big programs.

And what I've been trying to tell you is none of that matters..

Also your Oline expertise is very suspect. You wanted us to make Nate Solder the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history (he is WELL below average), then Trent Brown (who isn't even playing LT now), and now you're moving on to the next name to frame your argument around..

If Tytus Howard fails it won't have anything to do with his athletic ability, he has plenty of it for the position. What could derail him is this crappy staff who's now instructing him.

Ask yourself if Watson would be better protected if Solder or a 25 yr old and improving Brown were the Texans OT's. They have the cap space.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Enjoy the crappy ol play and Watson getting the crap beat out of him again this yr. That's if he doesn't get his neck broken.

Ask yourself if Watson would be better protected if Solder or a 25 yr old and improving Brown were the Texans OT's. They have the cap space.

I'm obviously not going to change your mind. Enjoy the crappy ol play and Watson getting the crap beat out of him again this yr. That's if he doesn't get his neck broken.

Won't happen until OBrien is gone. He's busy getting more offensive players he doesn't know how to use. He's the gm, excuses are over.

I already checked it out, why do you think I posted what I did?

DB ran a sub 5.00 40 with a really good 10 yd split. Howard is nowhere close to the athlete DB is. For that matter he's no where near the athlete Dillard is. Only a poster who can't read or is biased would say otherwise.

DB ran a sub 5.00 40 with a really good 10 yd split. Howard is nowhere close to the athlete DB is. For that matter he's no where near the athlete Dillard is. Only a poster who can't read or is biased would say otherwise.

Agreed Dillard was the much better prospect. He played two quarters at LT and looked solid by the way, even though he's projected to start at backup LT. None this guard swapping nonsense.

Matt Weston:

Matt Kalil and Seantrel Henderson were really bad yesterday. Kalil was a yellow rubber mat strewn across a soggy yard slip sliding around. His hands were atrocious. His base was floppy. And if Henderson was slightly better, it wasn’t by much. Again, Henderson has been injured since 2014 and has never been a good player in his career.

Currently these are the Texans starting tackles. I already yearn for Juli’en Davenport and Kendall Lamm. The good news is this is happening in the preseason. Hopefully the realization comes that this tackle combination is horrendous and it needs to be changed, and Houston can get Tytus Howard moved outside, and then figure out the rest from there.

So if you're Cal McNair & you just read this what are you thinking after you watched what you watched last night?

No one talks about Roderick Johnson, but he got some time at LT as well and looked better there than Kalil and Tytus.

I'll agree he looked better than Kalil. I didn't see enough of Howard at tackle to really have an opinion.

If Caserio knows what he’s doing, and wants to be the reason Houston ever sniffs a Super Bowl, he’ll part ways with Devlin and O’Brien. He can go get whatever HC he sees fit. Business over friendship. That’s if he even comes to Houston, of course.

If Caserio knows what he’s doing, and wants to be the reason Houston ever sniffs a Super Bowl, he’ll part ways with Devlin and O’Brien. He can go get whatever HC he sees fit. Business over friendship. That’s if he even comes to Houston, of course.

Caserio wont come here to clean house.

Back