Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Davenport to RT would not bring movement of his feet quite as much in question than on the left, but..............his strength which has always been in heavy question would then come in play.

I just want the Texans OL to get better.

That said I thought Davenport's long arms would help make up for slow feet. & he should be stronger now than he was three years ago.

Davenport to RT would not bring movement of his feet quite as much in question than on the left, but..............his strength which has always been in heavy question would then come in play.

It’s all about match-ups, Defensive Coordinators would just move speed to right side. Might be more about his hips than feet, seems tighter going to his right or inside on left side or to the outside edge if on the right side. Hopefully it is just his feet and they can coach better placement and set-up. If his hips are just naturally tight or one side swings out easier not so sure. But your our resident doctor so tight hips, slow feet or both?

It’s all about match-ups, Defensive Coordinators would just move speed to right side. Might be more about his hips than feet, seems tighter going to his right or inside on left side or to the outside edge if on the right side. Hopefully it is just his feet and they can coach better placement and set-up. If his hips are just naturally tight or one side swings out easier not so sure. But your our resident doctor so tight hips, slow feet or both?
It is a myth that bad foot work can usually be coached out...........especially slow bad foot work.

Last edited:
Russell Wilson was sacked 51 times. Dak Prescott was sacked 56 times.

Patrick Mahomes 26 times. Andrew Luck 18 times.

That could function of many things besides OL, but if you do have a good OL, weapons that uncover quickly with fast reads by QB, your sacks decrease proportionately. Colts have built a well rounded offense and now defense with outstanding OL, more weapons, HC who played QB in the NFL with high offensive football IQ and even higher IQ QB in luck. Then a GM who brings to the table everything you need to go chase a Super Bowl.

If Watson is similar phenomenon as Mahomes that can make up for a lot of these things that are missing here.

It is a myth that bad foot work can usually be coached out...........especially slow back foot work.

What, you mean no supplements to address issue, maybe stimulate the brain function to enhance motor skills :bubbles:

Seriously, meant something simple like cheating with your stance (kick step) to help facilitate backwards motion and keeping upper body still, like Duane Brown, Jason Peters etc,

Reid was the perfect storm but I wouldn’t call rest of 2018 Draft class great. Rankin and Coutee could be good if they stay healthy long enough to get reps. Pair of TE’s so good they had to grab another one in the 3rd. Duke Ejiofor was a solid 6th rounder much like Omenihu was in 5th rd this year. In fact earlier in rave about Texans 4 picks from Senior Bowl Omenihu had a strip fumble where he was double teamed off line of scrimmage, he pursued wide, shed them on the backside and kept hustling to knock the ball out from the QB forcing turnover. Total hustle play, that’s not even counting first three picks of 2019 draft class who will all contribute if not start at some point this season.

Gaine fixed the ST"s and got 3-4 guys with potential to be difference makers. Pretty good considering what Gaine had to work with.

Reid was the perfect storm but I wouldn’t call rest of 2018 Draft class great. Rankin and Coutee could be good if they stay healthy long enough to get reps. Pair of TE’s so good they had to grab another one in the 3rd. Duke Ejiofor was a solid 6th rounder much like Omenihu was in 5th rd this year. In fact earlier in rave about Texans 4 picks from Senior Bowl Omenihu had a strip fumble where he was double teamed off line of scrimmage, he pursued wide, shed them on the backside and kept hustling to knock the ball out from the QB forcing turnover. Total hustle play, that’s not even counting first three picks of 2019 draft class who will all contribute if not start at some point this season.

Gaine fixed the ST"s and got 3-4 guys with potential to be difference makers. Pretty good considering what Gaine had to work with.

And what if the special teams fall back to their old ways. People you have to understand the hit and miss to all this stuff. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont. Gaines did not fix the ST. We finally was apart of the hit club. But oh we can easily fall back to the miss club in a blink of an eye.

Hey when was the last time we had a legit KR or PR who can take it to the house on any given game. I mean a serious threat.

And what if the special teams fall back to their old ways. People you have to understand the hit and miss to all this stuff. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont. Gaines did not fix the ST. We finally was apart of the hit club. But oh we can easily fall back to the miss club in a blink of an eye.

Hey when was the last time we had a legit KR or PR who can take it to the house on any given game. I mean a serious threat.

Jacoby?

Combo breaker.
3LQR.gif

How many of Seely’s units have been a part of the “miss” club in his decades coaching ST in the NFL. This sort of dismissal of ST is exactly why the Texans ST sucked until he got here and told Gaine the types of players he needed to be successful. ST isn’t just “luck”.

This article from TexansWire is in response to the PFF article: Why the Texans should start Tytus Howard at right tackle, Max Scharping at left

Not saying I agree with this but I do think Howard would be better at RT since I think he played mostly RT when he was at Alabama State. Just don't know if Scharping would hold up as well at LT. :thinking:

I'm not counting Davenport out of the mix. He should be better this year, year three than he was last year. Same as we expect Howard/Sharping to be better in year two than year one.

If Howard is the better option this year, fine. But if he's not, the continuity there would help.

John Harris then threw in one last point that; “You will not know who the starting offensive line will be until September ninth.”

Wonderful. Completely normal and that's how the best coached teams do it

What is competition for?

Competition should be settled before training camp. Training camp they should know where each player is going to play & work on getting better at those positions.

Should be very little position changes in TC. Depth Chart adjusting, sure. But not straight up position changes.

Maybe that's what he meant. I don't know.

John Harris then threw in one last point that; “You will not know who the starting offensive line will be until September ninth.”

Wonderful. Completely normal and that's how the best coached teams do it

Crazy how they keep switching up. They said way before the draft that Henderson and Davenport were their starters.

Hopefully he's just talking. If the Texans don't have them settled in & ready to play the Saints Sept 9th, heads should be rolling Sept 8th

I agree with this. We've seen the wait and see competition approach several times. And it failed miserably every freaking time.

Last edited:
Competition should be settled before training camp. Training camp they should know where each player is going to play & work on getting better at those positions.

Should be very little position changes in TC. Depth Chart adjusting, sure. But not straight up position changes.

Maybe that's what he meant. I don't know.

I thought he was talking depth chart

I thought he was talking depth chart

Crazy how they keep switching up. They said way before the draft that Henderson and Davenport were their starters.

This would be a depth chart thing. They should go into training camp with Davenport & Henderson as the starting tackles. Through OTAs if they've decided there's no way Howard/Sharping can beat out Davenport & a healthy Kalil, then they should start preparing them for RT, LG, whatever...

I don't think we should go into another season with Martin secure at Center. However, if they decide Mancz is not an option, Rankin can't play Center & they need Fulton at RG, so be it. But that's what I hope the competition was about. Fixing the interior line.

That could function of many things besides OL, but if you do have a good OL, weapons that uncover quickly with fast reads by QB, your sacks decrease proportionately.

In the case of the Colts I believe it's because their OL is pretty good, plus when extra blocking was needed they went with a 6th OL.

Mahomes, they used a lot of moving pockets, half field concepts, & using bunch patterns to get clean releases of the primary recieving target. Their OL may very well be better than ours, but the playcalling helped a lot as well.

I think Titus Howard can play right tackle as I believe that Scharping can play left tackle regardless of where they played in college. However watching both play, Howard's moves and skill set is LT with secondary position at left guard. Scharping in my opinion can play All 4 positions not including Center. RT, RG, LG then LT in that order to best utilize his skills in NFL. Hopefully Howard is allowed to focus on left tackle only whether at starter or supporting D.

Last edited:
And it still all hinges on health of the players. Hope Martin is healthy and can fulfill promise, otherwise there will be a lot of moving parts.
It seems then that the biggest hole is at Center, assuming that the other guys become good at whatever spot they settle in.

What if neither Martin nor Mancz health allows them to fulfill their potential? Is the center of the future already on the roster?

Last edited:
It seems then that the biggest hole is at Center, assuming that the other guys become good at whatever spot they settle in.

What if neither Martin nor Mancz health allows them to fulfill their potential? Is the center of the future already on the roster?

They brought in that 6'2" 310 lb Coker kid from some small college .... but I couldn't find an evaluation of him .... except one that said he was playing tackle for them. No worries mate .... we're flexible !

And it still all hinges on health of the players. Hope Martin is healthy and can fulfill promise, otherwise there will be a lot of moving parts.

I fear back to back ankle surgeries his first two seasons zapped away the promise he showed during his rookie training camp/preseason. I hope i’m wrong though and he solidifies the interior but I am expecting a day 2 pick being spent at center next draft.

Are people gonna riot if Martin isn't a starter? He should be able to but he hasn't taken the next step like his brother and Rankin/Fulton are ready to go.

Are people gonna riot if Martin isn't a starter? He should be able to but he hasn't taken the next step like his brother and Rankin/Fulton are ready to go.

If Rankin can be a center I prefer him. When is the last...or first...time we’ve had some size in that position. Not a Cowboy fan or hater, just neutral, but Ive been impressed with what Travis Frederick did to the middle of their OL.

I fear back to back ankle surgeries his first two seasons zapped away the promise he showed during his rookie training camp/preseason. I hope i’m wrong though and he solidifies the interior but I am expecting a day 2 pick being spent at center next draft.

Often wonder if Bradbury made it to #23 if Texans would have selected him, clearly would have been BPA. Or if McCoy or Jenkins with one of those 2nd’s.

I think they were on the Howard bandwagon all along

Passing on Bradbury would give me something to legitimately ***** about, Dillard should have been, but watching his tape he just seems disinterested in run blocking, not that he can’t?

Bradbury- This is the best center in the draft and one of the best to come out in the last few years. He is outstanding with his quickness; the quickness is off the charts. Kirk Cousins has to be very happy with this pick. He'll give a little bit of ground against power; he's not the biggest guy, but he has great ability to recover. He's going to start right away. -- Daniel Jeremiah

Passing on Bradbury would give me something to legitimately ***** about, Dillard should have been, but watching his tape he just seems disinterested in run blocking, not that he can’t?

Bradbury- This is the best center in the draft and one of the best to come out in the last few years. He is outstanding with his quickness; the quickness is off the charts. Kirk Cousins has to be very happy with this pick. He'll give a little bit of ground against power; he's not the biggest guy, but he has great ability to recover. He's going to start right away. -- Daniel Jeremiah

I can't and won't argue again't Bradbury, but the Texans focus was in a different focus imo.

I can't and won't argue again't Bradbury, but the Texans focus was in a different focus imo.

That may be so. However, there are holes in Dillard's game. Not trading up, or selecting Howard even if Dillard were available, they could still argue they picked BPA... no one believes them anyway.

Still, if Bradbury fell & they picked Howard anyway, even the Rainbow & Sunshine tattooed Homer's would have to admit this wasn't a BPA pick.

Back