Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

Well give the man two years then. Not 1 year. His first season doesn't count because they mainly used him as a blocking TE.

Oh and where did you get this two year window from. You using it as a fact verses your opinion.

Last thing the youngster improved towards then end.

His feet aren't going to move faster, he's a below avg athlete.

Improved but still sucked, minus the playoff game. Certainly not a starting caliber LT. The fact they ran him out there at LT last yr speaks volume about the lack of talent at the OT position and explains why they took 2 OT's in rds 1-2.

The entire OL sucked. They were 32nd in running the ball when you take out Watson's yds. I'm just hoping the new additions can shore up the 62 sacks next yr. Fixing both in one yr is a tall task.

I believe it's 7, maybe 9 more sacks given up than Seattle. We gotta get better up front. I'm not saying different. Just adding there's room for improvement behind the line & on the sidelines

Carolina was glad to get rid of Kalil, if he's the starter over Davenport we are still in big trouble.

Maybe Kalil is finally healthy. If he plays passably well, that will be more than a lot of folks thought possible. They brought him in for a reason, they may let him go for a reason. We'll see. Either way, he's a low risk, low cost roll of the dice.

If Kalil is a swing and a miss by Gaine, it's no big deal because of his team friendly contract. But if Kalil is able to make contributions on the field or behind the scenes helping the young guys, that would be great. There's more than one way for him to bring value.

Last edited:
Maybe Kalil is finally healthy. If he plays passably well, that will be more than a lot of folks thought possible. They brought him in for a reason, they may let him go for a reason. We'll see. Either way, he's a low risk, low cost roll of the dice.

If Kalil is a swing and a miss by Gaine, it's no big deal because of his team friendly contract. But if Kalil is able to make contributions on the field or behind the scenes helping the young guys, that would be great. There's more than one way for him to bring value.

The man will miss some time throughout OTAS, mini camp and preseason. I think they're trying to give him a shot and that's it. Davenport is our starter right now. It's his job to lose. If K makes the team he probably be the swing T and that it. Imo

We have money for both, we need some OL veteran leadership. Penn may have done that more than MK but we need some external influence.

It’s not just Clowney. It’s been reported the Texans are also looking at extensions for Reader and Martin. To build through the draft as BG clearly wants to do the picks that help build that solid foundation need to be extended. I get the idea of signing FA’s but most of those guys are in probably their final contracts. IMO we are in a major rebuilding phase. Hasn’t been called that but I’m seeing big time overhaul. Out with the old, in with BG’s prototypes. At this point FAgency is not a model for building that foundation. Astros weren’t built overnight but they stuck to their model and it obviously worked.

Would consider Kahlel signed before the draft now expendable given Texans used two high picks on OT, even if they don’t wind up playing there, Texans now have enough depth @ position.

I think he discusses the medical reports and cost/cap hit with gaine

We have differing opinions then
I'm pretty sure you're both right. I would think BO'b looks at the player, says yes or nea. Gaine fills him in on all the details & they agree on value.

Chicken & Shrimp. BO'b may override some decisions, say get this guy regardless.

Oz... Watson. The GM may override & say, "This is your QB."

We can't always get what we want, but I would think in a professional environment they'll find a way to make it work. Or at least try.

I'm pretty sure you're both right. I would think BO'b looks at the player, says yes or nea. Gaine fills him in on all the details & they agree on value.

Chicken & Shrimp. BO'b may override some decisions, say get this guy regardless.

Oz... Watson. The GM may override & say, "This is your QB."

We can't always get what we want, but I would think in a professional environment they'll find a way to make it work. Or at least try.

Yeah I mean I think OB basically wants guys for his system (whatever that is) and will talk to the GM about it. Not just chicken and shrimp, but bringing over his guys from NE, falling in love with Akins in the Senior Bowl, finding versatile OL, getting a bunch of TEs, having that one speed year, etc.

I think the disconnect came when Rick or ownership pushed back on him on certain decisions (like QB) or in scouting philosophy.

But it would be mindboggling to me if O'Brien wasn't aware of Kalil's injury history. That's not his job amirite?

What? Prove it. Since when did OB start signing FA’s? Did the FO give him that assignment? This is baseless junk.
Look, you O'Brien supporters - and the Texans themselves - can't preach to us, all off-season, how O'Brien has finally gotten a GM who is "aligned" with his thinking and then turn around and act like O'Brien has no say in who populates his roster whether its draft picks or FAs.

Look, you O'Brien supporters - and the Texans themselves - can't preach to us, all off-season, how O'Brien has finally gotten a GM who is "aligned" with his thinking and then turn around and act like O'Brien has no say in who populates his roster whether its draft picks or FAs.
It seems around here that only the players that work out are his and the ones that don't are forced on him.

:boogereater:

I still think he can't evaluate talent on his own. Thank God Rick Smith got us Watson. :kitten:

Bwhahaha exactly .

O'Brien has a major say in who we draft. Way too much control. It's pretty obvious. Its almost like the scouts give him reports and he throws them into the fireplace. Then drafts whoever looks good to him up close at the week of the senior bowl. I have nothing against the senior bowl, its great, but I think players that have been outstanding all year long should be considered as well. Not just the guys that look good for one week.
The way the draft was run, either the GM is scared to make a trade up or back. Or O'brien just wants his guys and he wants them a round before they should be drafted and doesnt want to wait.

Lot of valid material, enough to chew on until season starts. Could break it down to O’Brian suffers paralysis from analysis and freezes up under pressure of the moment.

When you set your board and guys starting coming off the closer your pick gets, it should be like the two minute drill. We all know that outcome :choke:

Bwhahaha exactly .

Exactly what

Idiotic statement. Never said OB has a GM who is quote “ aligned”with his thinking. I’m calling you out BS dudes. Zero credibility with you guys.

Bwhahaha exactly .
Exactly what

Idiotic statement. Never said OB has a GM who is quote “ aligned”with his thinking. I’m calling you out BS dudes. Zero credibility with you guys.

You might want to do some research. Both have said on numerous occasions that they're aligned. Where have you been?

Are you saying you disagree with Gaine and Obrien that they're aligned?

You, bs dude, quoted statements attributed to me about those two. I resent that, you can’t lie and twist out of it. It’s what you negativewhiners do. Lies and twists. Gets some nads dude and show me the actual quotes aligning those two. Sure they work together but in your twisted minds it’s more than that. I’m callingyou out dude. Show me my involvement.

You, bs dude, quoted statements attributed to me about those two. I resent that, you can’t lie and twist out of it. It’s what you negativewhiners do. Lies and twists. Gets some nads dude and show me the actual quotes aligning those two. Sure they work together but in your twisted minds it’s more than that. I’m callingyou out dude. Show me my involvement.

Well I never quoted that, but he was speaking in general that O'Brien defenders on here have been saying that he finally has alignment now that rick is gone.

I don't think he was calling you out specifically

Well I never quoted that, but he was speaking in general that O'Brien defenders on here have been saying that he finally has alignment now that rick is gone.

I don't think he was calling you out specifically
He! It wasYOU. You responded to some post of mine putting words in my mouth. Support your claim or admit you are a liar.

Back