Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

This is where I back slowly out of the room and go stand behind my wife.

Baloney. These guys post crap on this board that is total bs because they manipulate those that they know will back down. Guy put out bizarre junk on me out of the blue. I don’t have mercy like you. I simply came on this board to support a new regime that is turning this franchise around and have to run a gauntlet of bs. I don’t know any crap about some “alignment” between OB and BG. This is football. They communicate. But my personal belief is that BG understands their relationship and will keep OB at arms length, unlike the McNair-Smith and Smith-Kubiak relationships that set this franchise back several years. As a boss you don’t get close to the hired hands. BG has been here one year. I support him and the obvious beneficial changes he’s made. That’s respect and my gut feel is that he deserves it.

This is where I back slowly out of the room and go stand behind my wife.

Baloney. These guys post crap on this board that is total bs because they manipulate those that they know will back down. Guy put out bizarre junk on me out of the blue. I don’t have mercy like you. I simply came on this board to support a new regime that is turning this franchise around and have to run a gauntlet of bs. I don’t know any crap about some “alignment” between OB and BG. This is football. They communicate. But my personal belief is that BG understands their relationship and will keep OB at arms length, unlike the McNair-Smith and Smith-Kubiak relationships that set this franchise back several years. As a boss you don’t get close to the hired hands. BG has been here one year. I support him and the obvious beneficial changes he’s made. That’s respect and my gut feel is that he deserves it.

Somehow this conversation reminds me of an old vaudeville line, not that it applies to me...

A guy walks up to his buddy on the street and says, "Hey, who was that lady I saw you with last night?"

His buddy said, "That was no lady. That was my wife!"
It’s also a Lyle Lovett line.

Seems you're looking for an argument more than football info

Sorry but the alignment stuff is out of Gaine's and Obriens own mouth.

I hope gaine pushes back on Obriens idiocy but after signing Kalil and Seantrel plus looking at this past draft it's my opinion that he's a puppet and a yes man.

OB himself has said that he and Gaine are 'aligned'.

Forgive him. He's new & doesn't know he's new. You said BO'b supporters, not him specifically. BO'b supporters have been going on about the aligned front office from the time Ricky took off to be with his wife, until Trent Brown signed with the Raiders.

Dejaview wasn't here for all that. Even though he staunchly defends BO'b as much as the other blind supporters.

Bob sets the 53, the 46, the starting lineup & the substitutions. There is enough evidence on the game day roster moves that he's in over his head.

Sorry but the alignment stuff is out of Gaine's and Obriens own mouth.

I hope gaine pushes back on Obriens idiocy but after signing Kalil and Seantrel plus looking at this past draft it's my opinion that he's a puppet and a yes man.

Now hold on a second...

Gaine had a good 1st draft by getting Reid in the 3rd and signed HB in FA.

We will see with this draft but Henderson was impressing people in camp before going down. I see no problem re-signing him to a cheap 1 year deal.

Kalil iirc played with an injury and then was out for the year with another injury.

If he's healthy by the start of the season then Gaine just found a protector for Watson's blindside. Kalil's worst year was still better than Davenport's. It's a small upgrade even if Kalil doesn't come back healthy.

I politely disagree that Gaine is a puppet and a yes, man. I think OB tells him what he's looking for and Gaine weighs his options.

Gaine also signed Demps off the street and he ended up being a great player for us for years.

I think Gaine is doing just fine.

Now OB is a whole different story..

Forgive him. He's new & doesn't know he's new. You said BO'b supporters, not him specifically. BO'b supporters have been going on about the aligned front office from the time Ricky took off to be with his wife, until Trent Brown signed with the Raiders.

Dejaview wasn't here for all that. Even though he staunchly defends BO'b as much as the other blind supporters.

Bob sets the 53, the 46, the starting lineup & the substitutions. There is enough evidence on the game day roster moves that he's in over his head.

Are you referring to me?

Just because I want to see what BOB can do with a competent GM doesn't mean I blindly support BOB.

I wanted them to sign Brown, they decided to go cheap. This doesn't mean I don't like Gaine. I'm willing to let his vision play out and see where they are at in a couple of years. Like I said this is a three year rebuild and they are in year two.

Why Texans emphasize versatility on offensive line

Aaron Wilson , Houston Chronicle May 23, 2019

From snap to snap, the Texans' offensive line looked a lot different during an organized team activity this week.

Beyond mixing and matching blockers with the first-team and second-team offense, linemen were being cross-trained at tackle, guard and center.

The Texans are trying to simultaneously evaluate the talent at their most scrutinized position on their roster and build versatility.

After allowing an NFL-high 62 sacks last season, the Texans don't want to find themselves in a situation where they don't have interchangeable parts.

When the Texans open the regular season Sept. 9 in New Orleans, their offensive line could take on several different configurations from how it looks now. That will hinge on the development of several players and ongoing competitions.

If the Texans institute a youth movement, that could mean rookie Tytus Howard at left tackle next to second-year lineman Martinas Rankin at left guard along with center Nick Martin, right guard Zach Fulton and rookie Max Scharping at right tackle.

The moving parts included having Howard, a first-round draft pick, line up at spots beyond his natural left tackle position. The Texans are employing a similar strategy with Scharping, a second-round selection.

“The challenge would be really just focusing," Howard said. "Playing multiple positions, playing left side, right side, you have to change and look at it from a different perspective at each position, so just really focusing on each and every play what you have to do and execute and going out there and playing ball.

“It’s just pretty fun, though. It gives me a chance to get out there on the field more. If they have to move me to any position, I’m going to go out there and do it. If that’s the way that I can help my team, I’m down for it.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

I really appreciate these posts, CnD. I haven't subscribed to the Chronicle in several years. These types of articles are the only thing I miss. Thanks.
I don't enjoy beating up on the hometown paper but the Chron is really a sorry azz publication.
I do want to keep up with local news, after all it's my hometown paper so I do read the electronic version daily to see what's going on and of course that's a freebie. I tried the option with the sports extras which required a sub but became frustrated with the Chronicles web service when a couple issues came up that weren't resolved to my satisfaction so dropped the subscription.
So yea thanks from me also C&D for the Chron content I don't get to see regularly.

Are you referring to me?

Just because I want to see what BOB can do with a competent GM doesn't mean I blindly support BOB.

I wanted them to sign Brown, they decided to go cheap. This doesn't mean I don't like Gaine. I'm willing to let his vision play out and see where they are at in a couple of years. Like I said this is a three year rebuild and they are in year two.

I do feel bad for Mr.Gaine. I'm sure he thinks a lot of us don't like him. I like him. Most of all, I feel bad for him. I feel like he's one of us. If we could be the GM of the Texans as long as we ultimately do what the coach wanted. We'd take the job too. So its not that we don't like Gaine. Its more that we don't like BOB, because he's a below average coach...and even worse at being a GM.

Idiotic statement. Go reread the quote. BS dude referenced OB supporters on my post. Don’t waste my time.
You go re-read my response oh name-calling-one. I said O'Brien supporters AND the Texans.
Don't just just pick the three words in the whole post that suit you.
Everyone sees that through BS move and some have called you on it.

Somehow this conversation reminds me of an old vaudeville line, not that it applies to me...

A guy walks up to his buddy on the street and says, "Hey, who was that lady I saw you with last night?"

His buddy said, "That was no lady. That was my wife!"[/QUOTE

Now, all day long, I'll have the nasal voice of Henny Youngman doing one liners - followed by well deserved - Rimshots, in my head !

You can always tell the old guys on Texans Talk. But you can't tell them much.

Rimshot!

That's also a Henny Youngman line, I think, only he made it about a Yale man, as in You can always tell a Yale man. I loved Henny Youngman.

Those were the days. Bob Newhart could have the audience rolling on the floor without ever saying one off-color, insulting, or demeaning thing. Absolutely wonderful.

Last edited:
I do feel bad for Mr.Gaine. I'm sure he thinks a lot of us don't like him. I like him. Most of all, I feel bad for him. I feel like he's one of us. If we could be the GM of the Texans as long as we ultimately do what the coach wanted. We'd take the job too. So its not that we don't like Gaine. Its more that we don't like BOB, because he's a below average coach...and even worse at being a GM.

BOB may or may not be an avg coach. He was saddled with an inept gm for yrs so we really don't know. What we do know is this is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild and they won 11 games in yr 1.

BOB may or may not be an avg coach. He was saddled with an inept gm for yrs so we really don't know. What we do know is this is yr 2 of a 3 yr rebuild and they won 11 games in yr 1.

From snap to snap, the Texans' offensive line looked a lot different during an organized team activity this week.

Beyond mixing and matching blockers with the first-team and second-team offense, linemen were being cross-trained at tackle, guard and center.

The Texans are trying to simultaneously evaluate the talent at their most scrutinized position on their roster and build versatility.

After allowing an NFL-high 62 sacks last season, the Texans don't want to find themselves in a situation where they don't have interchangeable parts.

When the Texans open the regular season Sept. 9 in New Orleans, their offensive line could take on several different configurations from how it looks now. That will hinge on the development of several players and ongoing competitions.

If the Texans institute a youth movement, that could mean rookie Tytus Howard at left tackle next to second-year lineman Martinas Rankin at left guard along with center Nick Martin, right guard Zach Fulton and rookie Max Scharping at right tackle.

The moving parts included having Howard, a first-round draft pick, line up at spots beyond his natural left tackle position. The Texans are employing a similar strategy with Scharping, a second-round selection.

“The challenge would be really just focusing," Howard said. "Playing multiple positions, playing left side, right side, you have to change and look at it from a different perspective at each position, so just really focusing on each and every play what you have to do and execute and going out there and playing ball.

“It’s just pretty fun, though. It gives me a chance to get out there on the field more. If they have to move me to any position, I’m going to go out there and do it. If that’s the way that I can help my team, I’m down for it.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

THE REST OF THE STORY

Weren't they doing this last offseason when they added Fulton/Kele ete/Henderson?

I seem to recall them talking about the virtues of the versatility of these guys last yr.

62 sacks later they break out with the Same song and dance routine.

How about you put guys at the position you think they can play best, then try to teach them other positions?

This just in, carry Kelemete and Mantz as your 2 extra OL and you don't have to worry when a guy gets hurt. Carry an 8th OL if you're that worried about injury.

Weren't they doing this last offseason when they added Fulton/Kele ete/Henderson?

I seem to recall them talking about the virtues of the versatility of these guys last yr.

How about you put guys at the position you think they can play best, then try to teach them other positions?

This just in, carry Kelemete and Mantz as your 2 extra OL and you don't have to worry when a guy gets hurt. Carry an 8th OL if you're that worried about injury.

He been talking about being versatile since day one. That's why he dismantled what Kubiak left behind.

Are you referring to me?

Yes & no. You're a BO'b supporter. You're not blind. The stuff about BO'b supporters pertained to you. The stuff about blind supporters, not so much.

... see, you're not blind. You see the dumbassery & support him anyway. A blind supporter wouldn't see an issue with this Tomfoolery & support him (I don't see a problem with this Tomfoolery, I believe he's a dumbass who is trying to learn what you already know).

Yes & no. You're a BO'b supporter. You're not blind. The stuff about BO'b supporters pertained to you. The stuff about blind supporters, not so much.

... see, you're not blind. You see the dumbassery & support him anyway. A blind supporter wouldn't see an issue with this Tomfoolery & support him (I don't see a problem with this Tomfoolery, I believe he's a dumbass who is trying to learn what you already know).

I remain saying that giving him 3yrs with Gaine seems fair. It takes that long to build a team.

Easy schedule and catching teams in opportune times, except when it came to crunch time and securing home field, then reality set in :cheese:

In a rebulding situation they're in winning 11 games isn't optimal. Gaine did a great job 2yrs ago in the draft. He drafted high risk high rewards guys this year. Let's hope it pays off.

Kelemete, Mantz, Fulton, Martin, and Rankin essentially all got significantly compromised by the affects of their injuries. Lamm when he wasn't injured, due to his talent level, always played like he was anyway. Davenport's brain and physical abilities were lucky to barely pass him off as a LT (hell broke loose when he tried his hand at RT). Versatility didn't have a great chance to be fully developed or enveloped. Unfortunately, as everyone knows........."full" availability before versatility.

In a rebulding situation they're in winning 11 games isn't optimal. Gaine did a great job 2yrs ago in the draft. He drafted high risk high rewards guys this year. Let's hope it pays off.

Reid was the perfect storm but I wouldn’t call rest of 2018 Draft class great. Rankin and Coutee could be good if they stay healthy long enough to get reps. Pair of TE’s so good they had to grab another one in the 3rd. Duke Ejiofor was a solid 6th rounder much like Omenihu was in 5th rd this year. In fact earlier in rave about Texans 4 picks from Senior Bowl Omenihu had a strip fumble where he was double teamed off line of scrimmage, he pursued wide, shed them on the backside and kept hustling to knock the ball out from the QB forcing turnover. Total hustle play, that’s not even counting first three picks of 2019 draft class who will all contribute if not start at some point this season.

I couldn't agree more with your whole post but especially with the bolded.
Seems like common sense to me.
but O'Brien/Devlin have been following this "strategy" since they got here six years ago and are still trying doing it to construct a functioning O-line with little success.

...what's that old saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results....?

Reid was the perfect storm but I wouldn’t call rest of 2018 Draft class great. Rankin and Coutee could be good if they stay healthy long enough to get reps. Pair of TE’s so good they had to grab another one in the 3rd. Duke Ejiofor was a solid 6th rounder much like Omenihu was in 5th rd this year. In fact earlier in rave about Texans 4 picks from Senior Bowl Omenihu had a strip fumble where he was double teamed off line of scrimmage, he pursued wide, shed them on the backside and kept hustling to knock the ball out from the QB forcing turnover. Total hustle play, that’s not even counting first three picks of 2019 draft class who will all contribute if not start at some point this season.

In the context of having no 1st/2nd round pick the 2018 draft is trending towards being great. Getting at least 1 core player in Reid would make it such. Then you add in the prospect of having a starting OL in Rankin and a heavy contributor in Coutee from this class. Alongside a couple other contributors like the Jordans and Kalambayi. Unfortunately Ejiofor got injured but even if he doesn't make it back getting even 1 core player in Reid plus a couple solid contributors makes this class a huge hit. How many homerun picks did the Texans make outside of the 1st round or undrafted last few years? How many 4th round picks have produced like Coutee in his handful of games? How many 6th round picks have been plus players on ST like Kalambayi even? 2018 draft gave the team it's best immediate returns so far since the 06 draft that was best in franchise history (Mario, Demeco, Winston, OD haul). And Gaine didn't even have a 1st/2nd to work with....

I'll give him benefit of the doubt on the 2019 draft in May.

In the context of having no 1st/2nd round pick the 2018 draft is trending towards being great. Getting at least 1 core player in Reid would make it such. Then you add in the prospect of having a starting OL in Rankin and a heavy contributor in Coutee from this class. Alongside a couple other contributors like the Jordans and Kalambayi. Unfortunately Ejiofor got injured but even if he doesn't make it back getting even 1 core player in Reid plus a couple solid contributors makes this class a huge hit. How many homerun picks did the Texans make outside of the 1st round or undrafted last few years? How many 4th round picks have produced like Coutee in his handful of games? How many 6th round picks have been plus players on ST like Kalambayi even? 2018 draft gave the team it's best immediate returns so far since the 06 draft that was best in franchise history (Mario, Demeco, Winston, OD haul). And Gaine didn't even have a 1st/2nd to work with....

I'll give him benefit of the doubt on the 2019 draft in May.

The only way I could call this class great now is because it allowed Rick Smith to trade up for Deshaun Watson, but that wasn’t Gaine who moved up (in fact haven’t seen Gaine move up in either 2018 or 2019 drafts) so in fairness to Rick, I’m not giving Gaine credit. Besides Reid others have to step up to be considered a great class. Maybe they will maybe they won’t we just can’t say great yet based on the field production.

The only way I could call this class great now is because it allowed Rick Smith to trade up for Deshaun Watson, but that wasn’t Gaine who moved up (in fact haven’t seen Gaine move up in either 2018 or 2019 drafts) so in fairness to Rick, I’m not giving Gaine credit. Besides Reid others have to step up to be considered a great class. Maybe they will maybe they won’t we just can’t say great yet based on the field production.

Of course you can’t say “great”. That goes for any class after one year unless its Saints 2017 and Colts 2018 getting multiple all pro rookies. But you can say it’s trending toward such. We haven’t had as many mid round picks showing that they can be a part of the team’s future since 2006 draft.

And I don’t think willingness to move up is an auto great move either. Teams whiff every year. Didn’t work for Texans when they traded up for Louis Nix.

Of course you can’t say “great”. That goes for any class after one year unless its Saints 2017 and Colts 2018 getting multiple all pro rookies. But you can say it’s trending toward such. We haven’t had as many mid round picks showing that they can be a part of the team’s future since 2006 draft.

And I don’t think willingness to move up is an auto great move either. Teams whiff every year. Didn’t work for Texans when they traded up for Louis Nix.

Who’s fault was that?

PFF: Examining the most improved offensive lines after the 2019 NFL Draft
BY MICHAEL RENNER • MAY 23, 2019

Relying on rookie offensive linemen to come in and start right away is often a fool’s errand. Some of the best offensive linemen in the PFF era have been liabilities in Year 1. That being said, some franchises had liabilities in starting roles heading into the draft, to begin with. These three teams improved the most during the three days of the draft based on our grades.

HOUSTON TEXANS
Texans_Oline-1024x575.png

With the state of the Texans’ offensive tackles, it would have been difficult for them not to improve in the draft, as their tackle group combined to allow a ridiculous 135 pressures last season. While they may not have gotten ideal value with the two tackles they drafted, we were higher on Alabama State’s Tytus Howard (58th overall on PFF’s draft board) and NIU’s Max Scharping(50th overall) than any offensive lineman the Texans have drafted since Nick Martin. Coming from two small schools, it might be greedy to expect too much right away, but it won’t take much to protect Deshaun Watson better than last year.

Back