Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Sage is our man

Hulk75 said:
Bets NOW, you WILL have a AVATAR of David that I pick and next to it you will say I am sorry!

If the other way goes down I will apologize to you and say that you were right and I was wrong.

DEAL?

Not a Homer, but this is DAvid's break out year IMO.
Ill take the bet too -

I just dont see Sage starting this year except in the last preseason game and wont be replacing Carr this year or the future unless he's injured. Sage has hooked up for some nice passes, but so has David. Over the first 2 games I would give the edge to Sage on Pocket presence, but not in talent or production on the field when comparing the numbers and taking all things into account [big picture]. I think after the next 2 games we will havea much better idea of which QB is developing better and think Kubiak will make the call he needs to make in the end and if DAvid is not stepping up and performing on the field when it counts, I am sure with this being Kubiaks first job, and reputation on the line he's really gonna mold David into the QB he wants for the team. Thus far he's shown no realy problem with ditching players he felt were overpaid and underperforming - I dont see that he will do any different with David, be cause at the end of the day Kubiak/Smith both just want this team to win games and IMO will be pushing the team and its players a bit more.

I don't see Carr having a breakout year, but I would like to see at least 20 TD's out of this offense. If we can get to that level then I am confident he can go further. I wrote last year that Carr needed more TD's than Int's and he obtained that. This year he needs at least 20 TD's to further progress. If Carr is just absolutely awful by midseason then sure, I can see Kubiak pulling the plug, but so far this preseason Carr has been decent (no int's) and really hasn't done anything to warrant being benched.

SESupergenius said:
I don't see Carr having a breakout year, but I would like to see at least 20 TD's out of this offense. If we can get to that level then I am confident he can go further. I wrote last year that Carr needed more TD's than Int's and he obtained that. This year he needs at least 20 TD's to further progress. If Carr is just absolutely awful by midseason then sure, I can see Kubiak pulling the plug, but so far this preseason Carr has been decent (no int's) and really hasn't done anything to warrant being benched.
All you want is 20 TD's from the Offense ? No wonder you're ok with Carr.... your standards are really really low....Manning threw for twice that many by himself...

xtruroyaltyx said:
All you want is 20 TD's from the Offense ? No wonder you're ok with Carr.... your standards are really really low....

You have to consider the system. Plummer had 18 TD passes last year. Denver still had the 7th ranked scoring offense and went 13-3 on the year. More is always better but if the running game really clicks the passing stats will naturally go down.

infantrycak said:
You have to consider the system. Plummer had 18 TD passes last year. Denver still had the 7th ranked scoring offense and went 13-3 on the year. More is always better but if the running game really clicks the passing stats will naturally go down.

But only 20 td's from the offense...he said the offense, not just Carr....Didn't Manning set the record with 49...and that was by himself...20 tds from the offense ? thats less than 2 touchdowns a game...Maybe he meant to Say from Carr...

xtruroyaltyx said:
All you want is 20 TD's from the Offense ? No wonder you're ok with Carr.... your standards are really really low....Manning threw for twice that many by himself...
This just shows how much of a knee jerk you are, you have absolutely no clue on progression. You want instant success right now and you'll come crashing down as the season goes along and it doesn't meet your overly optimistic eagerness. Good luck on enjoying half the season. I'm ok with Carr to go this whole season as I don't expect us to leap from 2-14 to an instant success overnight.

xtruroyaltyx said:
But only 20 td's from the offense...he said the offense, not just Carr....Didn't Manning set the record with 49...and that was by himself...20 tds from the offense ? thats less than 2 touchdowns a game...
I hate to tell you this, but there are not may QB's in the class of Manning and that offense....they set records, but don't win the big one. And really, if I am talking about Carr in a sentence and throw in a TD stat, yes I am talking about him, not the whole team to include special teams runs and offensive running TD's. Wow, I can't beleive I need to say that.

SESupergenius said:
This just shows how much of a knee jerk you are, you have absolutely no clue on progression. You want instant success right now and you'll come crashing down as the season goes along and it doesn't meet your overly optimistic eagerness. Good luck on enjoying half the season. I'm ok with Carr to go this whole season as I don't expect us to leap from 2-14 to an instant success overnight.

So when did 20 TD's for the season become o.k ?? Knee jerk ? hahahaha...maybe you just made an error...

SESupergenius said:
I hate to tell you this, but there are not may QB's in the class of Manning and that offense....they set records, but don't win the big one. And really, if I am talking about Carr in a sentence and throw in a TD stat, yes I am talking about him, not the whole team to include special teams runs and offensive running TD's. Wow, I can't beleive I need to say that.

I think he was refering to the posters comment of saying 20 TDs for the offense as a whole. He was trying to prove his point by giving examples of the QBs alone producing more TDs than that. Relax on the negative bashing of a fellow Texan fan. We all want the same thing: W's

xtruroyaltyx said:
So when did 20 TD's for the season become o.k ?? Knee jerk ? hahahaha...maybe you just made an error...
You wanna guess how many TD's the Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger threw? I don't know what your fixation on Carr is, but you seriously need to step back and view the whole picture. Our team's success doesn't lay with 1 guy.

SESupergenius said:
........ but I would like to see at least 20 TD's out of this offense.

I know it's not what you meant.... but it is what you said... 20 TDs from the offense...

which isn't bad, if our defense can match them.

SESupergenius said:
You wanna guess how many TD's the Super Bowl champion Ben Roethlisberger threw? I don't know what your fixation on Carr is, but you seriously need to step back and view the whole picture. Our team's success doesn't lay with 1 guy.

check my sig.......... gpshafer says it does.

SESupergenius said:

When I say Break out I am more referring to being able to succeed with some modicum of success on the field. To me if DC got 15-20 TD's and kept his Int/TD ratio down to less than 40% or below I would consider that a really good year and a "Break out" so to speak from his old self and the start of something better to come. I really David coming on big next year after he's had time to digest the entire offense and isnt thinking thru the progressions on the field, the play call, the formation and alignments and just is able to go out and play. I look for DC to really light it up next year after having a year in the system and with the Coach.

IMO - if David doesnt produce highlight reel personal stat numbers this year in the Regular season, yet the TEAM wins games - I would consider that a good year for us and a success for the team. It will take a bit for all the players to get the offense down well enough to just play.

But if DC is producing like a rookie, a few games into the season, I could certainly see a move being made by Kubes. Bottom line David has to keep on his toes and earn his PT like everyone and I dont Kubes will play favorites when it comes down to Winning ball games.

SESupergenius said:

Re-read the post! Offensive TDs not QB TDs. sheesh!:challenge :challenge

HOU-TEX said:
I think he was refering to the posters comment of saying 20 TDs for the offense as a whole. He was trying to prove his point by giving examples of the QBs alone producing more TDs than that. Relax on the negative bashing of a fellow Texan fan. We all want the same thing: W's

It's all good...I was just messin with em...

thunderkyss said:
I know it's not what you meant.... but it is what you said... 20 TDs from the offense...

which isn't bad, if our defense can match them.
I guess so, but really I made no mention of the running game or any other type of TD and through this whole thread we've been talking exclusively about nothing but Carr and Rosenfels. But I guess I assumed everyone could follow along.

HOU-TEX said:
Re-read the post! Offensive TDs not QB TDs. sheesh!:challenge :challenge

exactly...I haven't said one thing about Carr..ha...It's all good I realize it was a misinterpretation on my part

U4ikrob said:
When I say Break out I am more referring to being able to succeed with some modicum of success on the field. To me if DC got 15-20 TD's and kept his Int/TD ratio down to less than 40% or below I would consider that a really good year and a "Break out" so to speak from his old self and the start of something better to come. I really David coming on big next year after he's had time to digest the entire offense and isnt thinking thru the progressions on the field, the play call, the formation and alignments and just is able to go out and play. I look for DC to really light it up next year after having a year in the system and with the Coach.

IMO - if David doesnt produce highlight reel personal stat numbers this year in the Regular season, yet the TEAM wins games - I would consider that a good year for us and a success for the team. It will take a bit for all the players to get the offense down well enough to just play.

But if DC is producing like a rookie, a few games into the season, I could certainly see a move being made by Kubes. Bottom line David has to keep on his toes and earn his PT like everyone and I dont Kubes will play favorites when it comes down to Winning ball games.
I absolutely agree.

U4ikrob said:

dito.

Carr has the better tools, but anyone would be lying if they honestly could say after watching these pre-season games that Sage doesn't give us a better chance of winning. But thats what next game is for....for Carr to show that isn't the case and he can actually transfer his QB'ing skills to not only this offense, but the NFL. He hasn't played nearly as much, so next game should be a good indicator. But if Carr struggles badly the first half, don't be surprised to have Rosenfels come in earlier, and then have a huge shot at making his last case for QB in our last pre-season game, in which he should play almost all of.

Napa Auto Parts said:
this thread is ridiculous. i take it back its ridiculous that Sage has looked better than David.

I totally agree..... David's been starting for 4 years, and Sage has been riding the pine for 5... David should look better than Sage...... but he don't. That's ridiculous.

Did I miss something or did the Carr bashers completely misread(mislead) us into thinking that Kubiak was not happy with Carr's perfomance. After looking at the Kubiaks press conference I came away thinking that Carr actually did ok:

On a positive note, Kubiak was pleased with certain aspects of the offensive game such as quarterback David Carr’s performance, the running game and overall ball protection. Again, Kubiak stressed the importance of fixing those mistakes as a team for Carr to be able to perform well.

“Early in the game David got a few plays that he has to make for our team to give us a chance to get off to a great start,” Kubiak said. “He needs some help to make those plays. There are situations where he’s got to get the ball to a few receivers, we have to protect him a little better and then we have to make those plays when they’re there. I saw the same thing (as last week), but I did see him settle down and play well in the second quarter. He did a good job right before the second half. He did calm down from that standpoint, but we have to get the front-end corrected.”

MYDAUGHTER'STEXANS said:
Here is a question for all you people who really believe David should sit on the bench this year, and bust the salary cap off the Roof for the next 3 years. Why has Sage not been starting for the Redskins or Dolphins, why has he bounced from team to team, why only 2 starts in his career, Please let me know, the Dolphins QB's since Marino have been nothing special, and here comes Sage, but not 1st string material...Please let me know because we continue to believe Sage is the man on this thread into only 2 pre-season games........

Let me take these one at a time.

"Here is a question for all you people who really believe David should sit on the bench this year, and bust the salary cap off the Roof for the next 3 years."

Who in the heck ever said they wanted Carr riding the bench? And how will trading Carr bust the cap for 3yrs. We would obviously trade him and his salary.

"Why has Sage not been starting for the Redskins or Dolphins, why has he bounced from team to team, why only 2 starts in his career"...."Please let me know because we continue to believe Sage is the man on this thread into only 2 pre-season games"

Why do you give Carr the benefit of the doubt that he will turn his career around under a new coach and system but not Sage?? You count Sages career vs. Carrs 2 pre-season games. I had your blind faith last year.

"but not 1st string material..."

Kubiak said diffrent, does his opinion count?

NO MAS

the wonger need food said:
I don't really care what anyone else saw. I see a scared QB that doesn't grasp the offense. I believe the term coach Kubiak used was "shaky". Sure, he led the team to a TD drive against a 2nd string defense, but this does not impress me.

I know there are a lot of people that get their feelings hurt when someone criticizes Carr, and it's understandable given that he's the face of the franchise. I just hope that the fans stop coddling Carr this year. He is not showing improvement and that's what we need to be judging his performance on in the preseason. And until he starts consistently winning regular season games he will continue to be criticized. It's nothing personal towards his fans or him... it's the business (and fandom) of NFL football.

For Carr to complete a Pass everything has to be perfect! Even then his passes are off the mark. Can’t remember him hitting a WR in stride the last 2 games. I’m sure Carr is a great individual personally but when it comes to NFL QB he just doesn’t have IT. I guess from all the sacks his 1st yr. He just panics now. As for the face of the franchise remember Jim Plunkett. PATS traded him after 5 yrs. (QB Jim Plunkett to San Francisco for QB Tom Owen and the 49ers two first round draft choices (one through Houston) in 1976 and the 49ers first and second round choices in 1977).He even won rookie of the year! This is Carr’s 5th yr it might be good for both Carr and Texans to part ways with a trade. That PATS trade would put the Texans over the top! Let Carr sit the bench for couple yrs. That way he will have no pressure on being the starter and learn his fundamentals again. I think part of Carr’s problem is he never was able to hold a clipboard and watch for a yr. He was just thrown in there.

CaptainPatriot said:
For Carr to complete a Pass everything has to be perfect! Even then his passes are off the mark. Can’t remember him hitting a WR in stride the last 2 games. I’m sure Carr is a great individual personally but when it comes to NFL QB he just doesn’t have IT. I guess from all the sacks his 1st yr. He just panics now. As for the face of the franchise remember Jim Plunkett. PATS traded him after 5 yrs. (QB Jim Plunkett to San Francisco for QB Tom Owen and the 49ers two first round draft choices (one through Houston) in 1976 and the 49ers first and second round choices in 1977).He even won rookie of the year! This is Carr’s 5th yr it might be good for both Carr and Texans to part ways with a trade. That PATS trade would put the Texans over the top! Let Carr sit the bench for couple yrs. That way he will have no pressure on being the starter and learn his fundamentals again. I think part of Carr’s problem is he never was able to hold a clipboard and watch for a yr. He was just thrown in there.

"No, I'm not a coach....but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night"...:whoohoo:
CaptainPatriot

:coffee:

thunderkyss said:
I totally agree..... David's been starting for 4 years, and Sage has been riding the pine for 5... David should look better than Sage...... but he don't. That's ridiculous.
sage was playing against twos and threes. shh.

Jwwillis said:
Let me take these one at a time.

"Here is a question for all you people who really believe David should sit on the bench this year, and bust the salary cap off the Roof for the next 3 years."

Who in the heck ever said they wanted Carr riding the bench? And how will trading Carr bust the cap for 3yrs. We would obviously trade him and his salary.

"Why has Sage not been starting for the Redskins or Dolphins, why has he bounced from team to team, why only 2 starts in his career"...."Please let me know because we continue to believe Sage is the man on this thread into only 2 pre-season games"

Why do you give Carr the benefit of the doubt that he will turn his career around under a new coach and system but not Sage?? You count Sages career vs. Carrs 2 pre-season games. I had your blind faith last year.

"but not 1st string material..."

Kubiak said diffrent, does his opinion count?

NO MAS

You took a long time to write this, did you re-read what you wrote, think about what you just said......:challenge

Carr has six regular season weeks, maybe eight, to win/earn/keep the starting slot. I figure by that time if he has not solidified his position by performing up to expectations Kubiak is going to start looking at the other guy.

But Carr will get the rest of preseason plus the full 6 weeks to get it done.

Too slow for me, but there it is.

Will he get it done? If he can learn, he might.

Nighthawk said:
Carr has six regular season weeks, maybe eight, to win/earn/keep the starting slot. I figure by that time if he has not solidified his position by performing up to expectations Kubiak is going to start looking at the other guy.

But Carr will get the rest of preseason plus the full 6 weeks to get it done.

Too slow for me, but there it is.

Will he get it done? If he can learn, he might.

I'd actually say that's fair--Carr needs to show definite improvement within the 1st half of the season or Kubiak may/should move on. Shouldn't mean Carr up to pro-bowl level, just showing definite improvement and shouldn't tolerate consistant barely tolerable play.

Wonger did you put some energizer batteries in on this thread, it keep's going and going and going, like the pink bunny......this is my last respone on this thread hopefully everyone else will agree unless we are trying to Call Guiness Book of world records on this one for the longest thread.....:rolleyes:

In my opinon the only way Sage gets in is if we are 2-6 by mid season and DC is adding no value. If we are 6-2 and DC stinks he stays in regardless.

Kaiser Toro said:
In my opinon the only way Sage gets in is if we are 2-6 by mid season and DC is adding no value. If we are 6-2 and DC stinks he stays in regardless.

Perfect way to sum it up:goodnight :, great way to end this Wonger thread.......

I am all about winning more than two games when they count but we all agree the biggest problem with the Texans was the coaches. Last couple of years you could see it on all there faces (players that is) things were not going good behind close doors on the field during pratice, Carr looked lost. Enter Houstons Coach K and Carr looks like a new qb Carr will be fine he has years of bad coaching to crap out of his system and once he notices hey I do not have to run 3 or 4 D-lineman everydown you will see a #1 pick qb as for Sage he reminds me of someone who played for Kubes in Denver oh yea you know how I don't have to say you know him say it, say it no not Elway Greise and you know how that turned out.

I have defended Carr in the past, but at this point it really doesn't matter. Even if he succeeds this season the haters will say that it wasn't David, but the talent and scheme that was put around him that gave him success. Basically he'll never make some happy no matter what he does. Must be a pretty crappy feeling for him.

PowerfulDragon said:
sage was playing against twos and threes. shh.

OK....... try to understand..... Sage looked like a man amoung boys against 2s & 3s........ David looked like a boy amoung men against teh 1s & 2s..... you don't agree with that...... that's fine. But when Kubiak says Shakey...... I tend to believe he agrees with the people who are honest about Carr's performance/expectations on this board.

& Don't forget. I'm on your side. I want David to succeed, I don't want Sage to start...... ever. But looking past David's faults, and not expecting him to get better isn't going to make that happen. We've got a coach now, who undertands that..... so say what you will....... but try to see what is happening.

infantrycak said:
I'd actually say that's fair--Carr needs to show definite improvement within the 1st half of the season or Kubiak may/should move on. Shouldn't mean Carr up to pro-bowl level, just showing definite improvement and shouldn't tolerate consistant barely tolerable play.

Exactly.

Roughnecks said:
I am all about winning more than two games when they count but we all agree the biggest problem with the Texans was the coaches.

Exaclty

bigtex77 said:
I have defended Carr in the past, but at this point it really doesn't matter. Even if he succeeds this season the haters will say that it wasn't David, but the talent and scheme that was put around him that gave him success. Basically he'll never make some happy no matter what he does. Must be a pretty crappy feeling for him.

uhh.... haven't the "homers" been saying his lack of success was due to the "talent & scheme" that surrounded him??

thunderkyss said:
uhh.... haven't the "homers" been saying his lack of success was due to the "talent & scheme" that surrounded him??

Point being that Carr wasn't exactly dropped into a "Roethlisberger" type situation, he did about as well as could be expected given the situation in my opinion. I'm not saying some of the blame shouldn't be put on David's shoulders, I'm simply pointing out my belief that if he is successful this season some will still refuse to give him any credit.

bigtex77 said:
Point being that Carr wasn't exactly dropped into a "Roethlisberger" type situation, he did about as well as could be expected given the situation in my opinion. I'm not saying some of the blame shouldn't be put on David's shoulders, I'm simply pointing out my belief that if he is successful this season some will still refuse to give him any credit.

My point is if he hasn't been successful because of the talent around him, and the coaching scheme he played in........ then we go and get more talent to put around him, and a new coaching scheme...... & then he becomes successfull, why would it be wrong to say it's because of the talent & scheme?? If nothing else, it would be proven to be because of the talent and the scheme..

If you want anyone to say David is a great talented QB, then he's got to perform avg, or better than avg on a poor team with mediocre at best talent.

Boo-hiss to all those that say Preseason does not matter. We do not have a QB controversy, we just have a controversy on how valuable DC really is to this organization from a functional standpoint.

Kaiser Toro said:
Boo-hiss to all those that say Preseason does not matter. We do not have a QB controversy, we just have a controversy on how valuable DC really is to this organization from a functional standpoint.
Dito.

Kaiser Toro said:
This statement sums up my point of view . I think Carr reverts back to old habits to quick . I try but his throwing mechanics kill me and because of this I think he can be good but not great . We can get to a Super Bowl with a good QB .

I think you have to look at the SB winners of late to see that the TEAM, not a person wins. Steeler fans had 13 years between SB apperences, Broncos lost 3 before they won - all with Elway, and Bills fans - well, I'm sorry. The point is, it takes every part of the team to win, and sometimes the zebra's too, and Carr, like EVERY QB before him will not win by himself. Love him, hate him, use Family Man as a bad comment all you want, the TEAM will be a winner when the TEAM gets better. Here a question, who is better P. Manning or T. Brady ?
Just win baby.

:homer:

PS: I believe in my coaching staff, I believe in the decissions of my coaching staff.

Superstar said:
If I heard this right both Sages parent's are dead and he himself has faced a lot of trauma in the past due to his parents and surrounding family. The announcers also said with things like this either one destroys you or two it helps you focus to become better. That way you wont let your family down. In either case I do nota care if DC or SR is our quarterback as long as we win and Eric Moulds does not get mad by switching QB's. :rolleyes:
OK Wonger I get it. Now if only Uncle Bob had hired you or SWT instead of Rick Smith we'd have something. So hang your little banners in the stadium, dog him on road games if you must...but David Carr IS our QB for '06. The only way Sage sees the feild is if DC stinks up the house or...he gets hurt. So you go ahead and root for him to get injured, if you want. My question to the DC bashers is if it aggrovates you this much...why don't you just switch teams and boards ? If you're this unhappy...just move ? Go be Drew Bledsoe fans. The rest of us are willing to give the guy and the coaching staff a chance. What's it gonna hurt. What's one more season ? We're not going to the SB this year are we ? What's it gonna hurt. When you come to a fork in the road take it. Get on or off the band wagon DC bashers.

I'm not saying carr wasn't bad. he was. he wasn't terrible, just bad. But, sage just looked more comfortable. david looked like he was paranoid of being hit.

threetoedpete said:
OK Wonger I get it. Now if only Uncle Bob had hired you or SWT instead of Rick Smith we'd have something. So hang your little banners in the stadium, dog him on road games if you must...but David Carr IS our QB for '06. The only way Sage sees the feild is if DC stinks up the house or...he gets hurt. So you go ahead and root for him to get injured, if you want. My question to the DC bashers is if it aggrovates you this much...why don't you just switch teams and boards ? If you're this unhappy...just move ? Go be Drew Bledsoe fans. The rest of us are willing to give the guy and the coaching staff a chance. What's it gonna hurt. What's one more season ? We're not going to the SB this year are we ? What's it gonna hurt. When you come to a fork in the road take it. Get on or off the band wagon DC bashers.

So we can't have a problems with certain players ? My question to all that defend Carr with tooth and nail...when did this guy become off limits, and if Carr is ever on another team will you then be a fan of his new team ?

Back