Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ryan Mallett

Had Fitzpatrick thrown a sensless into triple coverage Romo INT I'd agree with you. But on this one, Kiesel made a great play, then had the focus to stay with the ball & catch it. That's one of the flukiest INTs we'll ever see all year.

Granted, I put some of the blame on a QB who consistently gets balls batted, but for the same guy to also catch it after it bounces off another player's shoulder pad... I'm just not going to put that on Fitz, like that's the kind of thing we expect from badFitz.... In fact, he hasn't thrown a badFitz INT all year. He's thrown some that should have been, that one he tried to force into Andre in the endzone against Oakland (I think)... but other than that.. not so much.

The fumble at the end of the Colts game, yeah... badFitz.

His biggest problem this year, is that he's not adding to our chances of winning. He didn't lose the last three games, just didn't do a damn thing to win them either. I feel like our offense is restricted & I blame that on a presumed lack of trust between our HC & his QB.

I don't like Fitzpatrick. It pains me to think about him starting for our team. But I'm seriously considering whether he deserves the criticism he's getting. He didn't pick himself to start for the Texans, he didn't chose himself over Mallet. Alls he's done, is try to be the best QB that he could be & honestly, last couple of weeks... he hasn't been that bad.

He's not Luck.... we all know that. But if we had drafted Andrew Luck this year, would he be playing better than Fitzpatrick? Would we be 3-3? Would we have lost those close games to Dallas & Indy (they still have 3 year veteran Luck).

I'm just thinking out loud now. But rookie Andrew Luck made a lot of mistakes, put his team in a lot of bad situations.... & I don't think their schedule was as "easy" as ours is this year.

After a few quick scores, Luck was pretty reckless and fortunate to beat the Texans. Despite his height, he had 3 or 4 balls tipped at the LOS, bobbled several snaps and fumbled one that was returned for a TD. He also threw a pick and had one or two right in the arms of Texans defenders dropped. All this on a day where, for the most part, he had all day to throw. Had it not been for a FG miss and two late fumbles by the Texans, he likely would have blown a 24 point lead against a team with a QB who was pressured all day. Luck also recently went through a period where he had something like eleven INT's in a 3-4 game span. While I acknowledge that he has impressive tools as well as big play capability, he is far from elite in my book. He is also on a team whose defense has been playing far better than the Texans of late.

Fans wanted this exact same thing with keenum last year citing "he'll give us a spark!" You guys are not getting it. This overall team just isn't good. Doesnt matter who we have back there.

I don't disagree with you at all and have been saying much the same thing since early in the season (even when they were winning).

BUT .... Fitz SUCKS and because of that , I can understand why fans want "someone else."

Thing is , if Mallett or Savage isn't on the field , obviously OB believes that Fitz is .... better.

That has to be a sickening thought as a fan ... :headhurts::smiliepalm::headhurts: Fitz is your best option ?!? FFS!!!

I look at other teams who have lacked good QB play or have been looking for that franchise player at the position and how long some of them have been actively looking .... that makes me just as sick. What makes it worse is our division rivals go from Manning to Luck .... while we (and several other teams) continue the search.

I don't disagree with you at all and have been saying much the same thing since early in the season (even when they were winning).

BUT .... Fitz SUCKS and because of that , I can understand why fans want "someone else."

Thing is , if Mallett or Savage isn't on the field , obviously OB believes that Fitz is .... better.

That has to be a sickening thought as a fan ... :headhurts::smiliepalm::headhurts: Fitz is your best option ?!? FFS!!!

I look at other teams who have lacked good QB play or have been looking for that franchise player at the position and how long some of them have been actively looking .... that makes me just as sick. What makes it worse is our division rivals go from Manning to Luck .... while we (and several other teams) continue the search.

Do you honestly think that ANY quarterback on earth could win football games with their playmakers fumbling on critical potential game-winning drives? Isn't the fact that this team as poor as it has been playing has been in position to tie or win at the end against Tony Romo, Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger, all of whom had superior play from their defenses and surrounding cast? It is so obvious that it is borderline absurd.

Do you honestly think that ANY quarterback on earth could win football games with their playmakers fumbling on critical potential game-winning drives? Isn't the fact that this team as poor as it has been playing has been in position to tie or win at the end against Tony Romo, Andrew Luck and Ben Roethlisberger, all of whom had superior play from their defenses and surrounding cast? It is so obvious that it is borderline absurd.

Lol yes. Exact same play from the rest of the team and better QB play gets better results. It is truly absurd to argue otherwise.

And FYI not all our losses have come where we lost the turnover battle. We got beat with positive turnovers meaning their QB and team overcame mistakes too.

Lol yes. Exact same play from the rest of the team and better QB play gets better results. It is truly absurd to argue otherwise.

And FYI not all our losses have come where we lost the turnover battle. We got beat with positive turnovers meaning their QB and team overcame mistakes too.

Exact same play??? I didn't see Big Ben's receivers dropping passes, nor his KR muffing a kick off, nor his RB fumbling near the goal line, nor did I see the Steelers DB's blowing coverage after coverage! Exact same play, my a*s!!

Exact same play??? I didn't see Big Ben's receivers dropping passes, nor his KR muffing a kick off, nor his RB fumbling near the goal line, nor did I see the Steelers DB's blowing coverage after coverage! Exact same play, my a*s!!

I do believe by reading what he wrote that he meant if our team would have played exactly the same but we had a decent qb we would have won those games, not that they played the exact same as us

I do believe by reading what he wrote that he meant if our team would have played exactly the same but we had a decent qb we would have won those games, not that they played the exact same as us

Haha! Yeah, giving up 24 points in 2 minutes is a great formula for victory!! I'm sure Big Ben would have pulled it out if the Steelers imploded like that, and Luck could barely hang on after the Texans spotted the Colts 24 first quarter points! It took two fumbles (one by our WR) for the Colts to pull out a victory. It is beyond any shred of logic to assume that a QB can win with poor defense, blown coverages, fumbles from kick returners, wide receivers, and running backs....and ALL in the SAME GAME...and on the road against a two time Super Bowl winning QB on a day where his WR's are making great plays and his RB is virtually unstoppable. But yeah, a decent QB should be expected to win under those circumstances. Wow...just wow.

I hated Tom Brady when he first came in the league. He wasn't good, but "everybody" talked about him like he was some sure fire hall of famer. Obviously they saw something that I didn't.

All I saw was the luckiest little sht I had ever seen.

I kept saying, that first year, "Yeah, but they haven't played anyone yet, wait till they play so & so.....every dang week. All the way to the end.

Maybe that's what OB is trying to do... trying to build that "luck" for his QB & using Fitz as the punching bag in the mean time. After that debacle we saw last night, I think we can say luck is not on our side. & if you're honest, Fitz was only a small part of that 3 minute fiasco.

Haha! Yeah, giving up 24 points in 2 minutes is a great formula for victory!! I'm sure Big Ben would have pulled it out if the Steelers imploded like that, and Luck could barely hang on after the Texans spotted the Colts 24 first quarter points! It took two fumbles (one by our WR) for the Colts to pull out a victory. It is beyond any shred of logic to assume that a QB can win with poor defense, blown coverages, fumbles from kick returners, wide receivers, and running backs....and ALL in the SAME GAME...and on the road against a two time Super Bowl winning QB on a day where his WR's are making great plays and his RB is virtually unstoppable. But yeah, a decent QB should be expected to win under those circumstances. Wow...just wow.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on here & I think you're close. Maybe the team is waiting for the QB to "save" them. & OB is trying to get them to understand it's more about what they do as individuals, than what the QB does.

Like that play that Cushing obviously screwed up & Dj was yelling & screaming... what good did that do? I commend him for knowing something was wrong, but that's not the time to get into it.

Y'know, Kubiak was all about everybody doing their job. That's cool if you're baking cookies, but not very conducive to winning championships. Everybody has to be willing to do whatever it takes to win. If that means keeping the other team out of the endzone after back to back turnovers on our own five yard line, then that's what it means.

After a few quick scores, Luck was pretty reckless and fortunate to beat the Texans. Despite his height, he had 3 or 4 balls tipped at the LOS, bobbled several snaps and fumbled one that was returned for a TD. He also threw a pick and had one or two right in the arms of Texans defenders dropped. All this on a day where, for the most part, he had all day to throw. Had it not been for a FG miss and two late fumbles by the Texans, he likely would have blown a 24 point lead against a team with a QB who was pressured all day. Luck also recently went through a period where he had something like eleven INT's in a 3-4 game span. While I acknowledge that he has impressive tools as well as big play capability, he is far from elite in my book. He is also on a team whose defense has been playing far better than the Texans of late.

The difference between guys like Luck or Roethlisberger and a Ryan Fitzpatrick is that when their teams make mistakes, those guys can put the team on their shoulders and make plays to win football games. Trent Richardson can cough it up, or Vinatieri can miss a FG, or hell, even Luck can be a turnover machine at times, but Luck will find a way to get the Colts back in it and win it. Big Ben will fumble it away himself because he holds on to the ball too long, but he'll grab the reigns and lead a team to victory. He's done it 33 times in his 11 year career, including once in the Super Bowl. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not that guy, has never been that guy in the 10 years I've seen him play.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not going to throw a team on his shoulders and go win a football game. He has 9 game winning drives in his 10 year career. NINE! Luck has 2 more than that in 2 seasons. Matt Schaub, Tim Couch, Vince Young and David Carr have more GW drives than Fitz. And the reason you have to make those GW drives is probably because your team made some mistakes.

The Texans are going to make mistakes. There's going to be turnovers, missed coverages, dumb penalties, like there are for the Colts and every other team in the league. Unlike the Colts, Steelers, Patriots, Ravens, Broncos, Packers, Cowboys - the Texans don't have a QB that can carry the team to victory despite those mistakes. At least not one that we know of.

Fitz is not that guy for sure. No one knows if Mallett is or not. And even if Mallett isn't, then this team wasn't going any where any way. So I don't see any logical reason to stick with Ryan Fitzpatrick, never mind signing to dude to be your starter in the first place. There's just no reason for him to be a starting QB in this league.

I'm just trying to understand what's going on here & I think you're close. Maybe the team is waiting for the QB to "save" them. & OB is trying to get them to understand it's more about what they do as individuals, than what the QB does.

Like that play that Cushing obviously screwed up & Dj was yelling & screaming... what good did that do? I commend him for knowing something was wrong, but that's not the time to get into it.

Y'know, Kubiak was all about everybody doing their job. That's cool if you're baking cookies, but not very conducive to winning championships. Everybody has to be willing to do whatever it takes to win. If that means keeping the other team out of the endzone after back to back turnovers on our own five yard line, then that's what it means.

This I agree with. When someone makes a mistake, it sort of snowballs...we need someone, anyone, to step up at these crucial moments/breakdowns. It seems like the whole team collapses. Fitzpatrick's INT was admittedly very ill-timed. It is at moments like this that I would like to see him go downfield in an effort to make a big play or take off and run. Throwing the ball into traffic near the line of scrimmage is not the most opportune thing to do. And as you astutely point out, the defense needs to step up and make a play to stop the bleeding at a crucial time. Not covering someone in the endzone merely added to the chaos of that whole disastrous situation. Conversely, when the defense blows a coverage and gives up a big play, the offense must do better than 3 and out.

I hated Tom Brady when he first came in the league. He wasn't good, but "everybody" talked about him like he was some sure fire hall of famer. Obviously they saw something that I didn't.

All I saw was the luckiest little sht I had ever seen.

I kept saying, that first year, "Yeah, but they haven't played anyone yet, wait till they play so & so.....every dang week. All the way to the end.

Maybe that's what OB is trying to do... trying to build that "luck" for his QB & using Fitz as the punching bag in the mean time. After that debacle we saw last night, I think we can say luck is not on our side. & if you're honest, Fitz was only a small part of that 3 minute fiasco.

One thing you forget about Brady's entry into the starting role .... they had a #1 overall selection & Superbowl winning QB (Drew Bledsoe) in front of him , not a punching bag to take all the lumps.

Fitzpatrick is the starter because he's knows the playbook, has preseason experience with the offense personnel AND he has done nothing to lose his job! His job is to manage this offense and he has managed it. He's not brought here to carry a team on his shoulder, he's here to be part of this team and his salary reflects that. Did anyone not get this memo during training camp?

This season is not about developing Mallet or any rookie QB. This season was never meant to be anything but a test drive for Bill Obrien, sort of like a rough draft to what needs to be done for next season.

If OB make a QB change next week, I guarantee you all he will lose this team. If they go out there next week with Mallet as a starter, everyone will know that is a desperation move by their head coach. Who the hell wants to play for a coach that has no patient and is already throwing a Hail Mary pass after seven game in his first year of coaching? His job is to win with what he has. Not throw in a great unknown whose was just dropped off to us along the way at the beginning of the season to replace our starting QB because he's not playing at an elite level.

No it's not. Fitzpatrick is a 10 year vet with tons of starting game experience. Mallet has virtually none. So it would be unfair to rag on Mallett at least until he has 7 games to stink it up like Fitz has.

Stop telling us about all of the other mistakes being made. We don't care. We saw the same plays as you did. Fitz is not a good leader. He is not inspiring the guys who play for him. Let the entire team melt down around Mallett if that is what is meant to be. At this point I do not care to hear any more Fitz excuses and want to see Mallett after losing the last 4 of 5 games with Fitz under center.

"Fitz is not a good leader. He is not inspiring the guys who play for him."

Of all the remarks about Fitz, this is what I have the most problem with. If you say he sucks or is the worst QB in the league, I won't argue with you. But to say he's not a good leader? Who are you speaking for? Are you one of the Texans players and vouch for this locker room talk? You got no business judging a qb leadership ability if you not in the huddled looking at his eyes as he calling out the plays.

From what I heard from former and current teammates, leadership is his biggest attributes. They love playing for the guy. And when you say he doesn't inspires others around him, was that why AJ and Hopkins fumbled? AJ didn't feel like holding onto the ball last week because he needed someone like Tom Brady to winked at him in the huddled?

Fitzpatrick is the starter because he's knows the playbook, has preseason experience with the offense personnel AND he has done nothing to lose his job! His job is to manage this offense and he has managed it.
He did the first two games (no turnovers) and the team was 2-0. He has thrown 7 INTs and fumbled twice over the past five games and we are 1-4. Clearly he has not done his job as a game manager since the Giants game

We can blame the offensive line and all the other turnovers by Andre Johnson, DeAndre Hopkins or Arian Foster, but Fitzpatrick hasn't done anything to spark any confidence in me. If Ryan Fitzpatrick makes a 3rd and 2 overtime completion we may have beaten the Cowboys. It's those type of plays we need a quarterback to step up and make a pass for three yards or more in a game-winning situation. I don't believe Fitzpatrick is capable of doing that which is a problem.

Who knows what Ryan Mallett can do? The poor kid hasn't had much of a chance to play for his entire NFL career. He's been learning behind Tom Brady and now Bill O'Brien for years. I'm pretty sure Ryan Mallett knows the Texans playbook by now. I saw O'Brien's press conference after the Steelers game last night and he pretty much said that very thing. Seems like it's just a matter of time now. If Fitzpatrick stinks it up at Tennessee, throws two or three interceptions in the first half, we'd probably see Ryan Mallett in the second half against the Titans. Maybe against the Eagles the following game. We have the bye week after that - two weeks to prepare would be an ideal time to ease Mallett in I guess. But I'd rather see him sooner rather than later.

This I agree with. When someone makes a mistake, it sort of snowballs...we need someone, anyone, to step up at these crucial moments/breakdowns. It seems like the whole team collapses. Fitzpatrick's INT was admittedly very ill-timed.
We lost the past three games by one score even with all the mistakes. The team battled hard and played their guts out. We just need better quarterback play so we can have longer drives and less three-and-outs or turnovers. 7 INTs and 2 fumbles from the quarterback alone isn't going to get it done. It's not the only reason we are 1-4 in our last 5 games but that's the first thing that is hard to ignore. We can't expect to lean so heavily on Arian Foster or Alfred Blue for the entire game.

That strong running game we have should be setting up some play-action passes which with Fitzpatrick's arm isn't even successful because he has a weak arm and isn't accurate. Some of his big yardage completions last night came against a prevent Steelers defense and DeAndre Hopkins and Andre Johnson had to literally dive a yard just to catch it. He's not even accurate. He even underthrew a tight end on a potential big play. He put up garbage stats last night because we had guys stepping up and making some tough catches.

Garbage time stats, blah, blah. Weak arm, blah, blah. Average at best blah, blah. It's a team game, blah, ad nauseum, blah. It's time Mallett gets the start. It needs to happen now. It should have happened before the Pitt game.

We all know Fitz is not the long term answer. That makes some of you hate him, which is really odd, but whatever. You get certain privileges as a fan that nobody can take from you. But seriously please try and maintain some semblance of objectivity. It's the lack of objective viewpoints that drives me crazy. I don't see any crusades for Su'a-Filo to start every time Ben Jones whiffs a block. There's no rally for Mohamed to start every time Cushing gets dusted by an opposing RB. Nobody clamoring for Pleasant to replace Swearinger every time he gets toasted for a TD. But there's something about the QB position that drives Houston fans rabid.

None of the players you mentioned are playing the most important position on the field either. Apples and oranges dude.

So if a guy has potential then it's fair game to acquit him of stuff that might not be his fault, but if a guy has no potential then feel free to pile on regardless of where else the blame could lie?

I'm just trying to understand this viewpoint. As a younger and less inexperienced player, Mallett is going to be given a longer and more forgiving leash. That's fair and all and that's not my issue.

My issue is when Foster, Johnson, and Hopkins all turn the ball over are we going to be whining about Mallett only putting 16 pts on the board? Why would it be his fault? He can only control what he can control.

"Less inexperienced"? WTF?! How many turnovers do those players have combined this season? Now tell me how many Fitz has and then comment again. Those players get a pass because they rarely turn the ball over. Once in a while is acceptable. Fitz does it every game, sometimes multiple times. Once again, apples and oranges.

This is actually more my problem. There is no guarantee that the QB play will be improved by benching him? None. Actually, considering how reluctant O'Brien is do so, it tells me that the QB play will probably be even worse.

Now I do acknowledge that we need to find out what Mallett is before the season is over. But it's also pretty clear that O'Brien thinks Fitzpatrick gives this team the best chance to win and he's not throwing in the towel on this season just yet. If we're 3-6 at the bye I think he will, but he's obviously not there yet regardless of how much of the fan base has already given up.

Also, I was right there with you guys criticizing Fitz even when we were winning. His issues are pretty cut and dry. But I'm not going to heap the losses solely on his shoulders just because he's a below average QB. Maybe I am confused. Or maybe I am one of the few who are actually being realistic/objective about what's going on here.

That's right... there are NO guarantees QB play will improve if Mallett is inserted. There is also no guarantee it will be the same or get worse. And to say;

considering how reluctant O'Brien is do so, it tells me that the QB play will probably be even worse.

Is your last name Kreskin? How could you possibly make such a comment? There is no way you can KNOW what O'Brien in thinking or planning. For all we know, O'Brien knows exactly when we will see what Mallet has regardless of how Fitz is playing. You seem to assume a lot of things based on your perceptions, but then criticize others for doing the same thing, only with a different perception.

As to your ability to read the mind of O'Brien and make claims like;

But it's also pretty clear that O'Brien thinks...

is just more nonsense. Nothing is clear, or pretty clear. O'Brien has kept all of us guessing since he was hired. I don't think any of us have the kind of familiarity with O'Brien yet to start guessing what he is thinking with any kind of accuracy. We had that with Kubiak, but that was after years of watching and listening to him. Most of us speak Kubiak fluently.

maybe I am one of the few who are actually being realistic/objective about what's going on here.

You know I hear the same kind of reasoning from people who believe in the chemtrails conspiracy. They are the only enlightened ones and everyone else is asleep according to them. Are you into chemtrails by any chance?

Had Fitzpatrick thrown a sensless into triple coverage Romo INT I'd agree with you. But on this one, Kiesel made a great play, then had the focus to stay with the ball & catch it. That's one of the flukiest INTs we'll ever see all year.

Perhaps you need to watch it again bro. The ball was thrown very low, into a crowd and with no touch. So low in fact the ball almost bounced off of Meyers helmet before being tipped by Keisel just above pad level. The ball then bounced off of Timmons helmet who was trailing Foster and back into the hands of Keisel. He got lucky. Simple as that. But he got lucky because this pass required touch, and since Fitz was under pressure, he threw it too hard and behind Foster resulting in the turnover. Had there been any touch on the ball while leading Foster, it probably would have been completed. The awful truth as I see it is that if we had seen one of those patented Schaub "Fetal Positions" instead of the patented Fitzpatrick "I can get it in there" type of plays, things would have been different. If this isn't "Bad Fitz" I don't know what is. O'Brien should not have been calling plays like that so close to our goal line just before the half, or worse Fitz audibled into that play.

abjxoz.jpg

Granted, I put some of the blame on a QB who consistently gets balls batted, but for the same guy to also catch it after it bounces off another player's shoulder pad... I'm just not going to put that on Fitz, like that's the kind of thing we expect from badFitz.... In fact, he hasn't thrown a badFitz INT all year. He's thrown some that should have been, that one he tried to force into Andre in the endzone against Oakland (I think)... but other than that.. not so much.

The fumble at the end of the Colts game, yeah... badFitz.

His biggest problem this year, is that he's not adding to our chances of winning. He didn't lose the last three games, just didn't do a damn thing to win them either. I feel like our offense is restricted & I blame that on a presumed lack of trust between our HC & his QB.

I don't like Fitzpatrick. It pains me to think about him starting for our team. But I'm seriously considering whether he deserves the criticism he's getting. He didn't pick himself to start for the Texans, he didn't chose himself over Mallet. Alls he's done, is try to be the best QB that he could be & honestly, last couple of weeks... he hasn't been that bad.

He's not Luck.... we all know that. But if we had drafted Andrew Luck this year, would he be playing better than Fitzpatrick? Would we be 3-3? Would we have lost those close games to Dallas & Indy (they still have 3 year veteran Luck).

I'm just thinking out loud now. But rookie Andrew Luck made a lot of mistakes, put his team in a lot of bad situations.... & I don't think their schedule was as "easy" as ours is this year.

Key difference. Luck was a rookie. Fitz is a 10 year vet that is supposed to know better.

You didn't have to see it. They got three straight possessions in our red zone. Stop acting like the Steelers beat the Texans with outstanding play. The Texans beat the Texans in those 3 minutes before the half. And if Fitz has just taken the sack and went into the half instead of trying to force the ball to Foster, the Texans would not have been completely deflated and would have had a chance to win the game in the 2nd half. That INT by Fitz broke the Texans back after what transpired the two previous series. The "Final Straw" if you will.

Fitzpatrick is the starter because he's knows the playbook, has preseason experience with the offense personnel AND he has done nothing to lose his job! His job is to manage this offense and he has managed it. He's not brought here to carry a team on his shoulder, he's here to be part of this team and his salary reflects that. Did anyone not get this memo during training camp?

This season is not about developing Mallet or any rookie QB. This season was never meant to be anything but a test drive for Bill Obrien, sort of like a rough draft to what needs to be done for next season.

If OB make a QB change next week, I guarantee you all he will lose this team. If they go out there next week with Mallet as a starter, everyone will know that is a desperation move by their head coach. Who the hell wants to play for a coach that has no patient and is already throwing a Hail Mary pass after seven game in his first year of coaching? His job is to win with what he has. Not throw in a great unknown whose was just dropped off to us along the way at the beginning of the season to replace our starting QB because he's not playing at an elite level.

"Fitz is not a good leader. He is not inspiring the guys who play for him."

Of all the remarks about Fitz, this is what I have the most problem with. If you say he sucks or is the worst QB in the league, I won't argue with you. But to say he's not a good leader? Who are you speaking for? Are you one of the Texans players and vouch for this locker room talk? You got no business judging a qb leadership ability if you not in the huddled looking at his eyes as he calling out the plays.

From what I heard from former and current teammates, leadership is his biggest attributes. They love playing for the guy. And when you say he doesn't inspires others around him, was that why AJ and Hopkins fumbled? AJ didn't feel like holding onto the ball last week because he needed someone like Tom Brady to winked at him in the huddled?

Fitzpatrick is the starter because he's knows the playbook, has preseason experience with the offense personnel AND he has done nothing to lose his job!

This is nonsense. He is the starter because O'Brien wants him to be. He made that clear when he named him starter during camp. Don't kid yourself. There was never a real QB competition for the starting position. I don't know what games you have been watching, but Fitz has done plenty to lose his job.

His job is to manage this offense and he has managed it.

Managed to drive it right into the ground with too many turnovers.

I love how on one hand you say this season is like a test drive, or a rough draft to see what needs to be done for next season. But before that you assert developing a QB is not part if next seasons worries. WTF?! Contradict yourself much? Of course sorting out your QB situation is job #1. If there was ever a better chance to do that it's in your first season as HC when nobody expects you to take a 2-14 team to the playoffs.

If OB make a QB change next week, I guarantee you all he will lose this team. If they go out there next week with Mallet as a starter, everyone will know that is a desperation move by their head coach.

Wait... more contradiction. So in your previous statement this season is nothing more than a test drive to figure out next season. In your very next paragraph, switching QB's is an act of desperation that will cause the coach to lose the team. This is comedy gold.

Who the hell wants to play for a coach that has no patient and is already throwing a Hail Mary pass after seven game in his first year of coaching?

Who the hell wants to play for a coach who is so bull headed he refuses to make a change when change is needed? Switching QB's after losing 4 of 5 games is hardly a hail mary. This is nothing but hyperboley.

You're in a ship with two engines. One of them is failing and one has never been used and is presummably in working order and was built by a reknowned engine builder. The Captain however decides to keep chugging along with the failing engine hoping they do not hit an iceberg. Who wants to be a passenger on a ship with a Captain like that?

Not throw in a great unknown whose was just dropped off to us along the way

Mallett was not "Dropped off to us". He was selected by the head coach. Presumably because he worked with Mallett previously and knows he is a worthwhile prospect and possible franchise QB with no mileage for the cost of a candy bar. Where did you come up with this "Great Unknown" stuff? More hyperbole.

You got no business judging a qb leadership ability if you not in the huddled looking at his eyes as he calling out the plays.

I have every business and right to do so. This is what we do on a message board. We give our opinions and discuss them. If you are not interested in that sort of exchange I suggest you find a new hobby. This one may be too complicated for you.

Yea cuz players always say what's really on their minds when asked questions about other players right? I mean we have never witnessed the standard canned answers that all players use when being questioned by the media, right?

Nobody is saying Fitz isn't a great guy. He certainly seems that way. But at the risk sounding cliche. Nice guys finish last. Being a great guy does not mean you inspire other men to play hard for you. Schaub was a better leader than Fitz could ever hope to be. Of course other players do not throw him under the bus and say derogatory things. Same way the did not say bad things about Schaub even though he probably deserved it in his final year with us.

As far as AJ, Hopkins, or Foster's turnovers go. How many do those guys have this year combined, and how many does Fitz have? Those players get a pass because they rarely turn it over. Fitz on the other hand...

The difference between guys like Luck or Roethlisberger and a Ryan Fitzpatrick is that when their teams make mistakes, those guys can put the team on their shoulders and make plays to win football games.

So what's he going to do, buy a little time & deliver a deep ball? That's kinda what Fitz did (in his own way) getting that 32 yard pass to Hopkins... who fumbled it. Same thing with Andre (though not nearly as deep).

It's a chronic problem with this team, that our play makers, including the QB, chokes in big time situations.

None of the players you mentioned are playing the most important position on the field either. Apples and oranges dude.
I guess this is a matter of perspective. You can have a lower-end QB if you have a run-game that can keep the defense rested, and a defense that can prevent the opposition from scoring at will. That's basically how the Texans are built.

Our defense getting burned deep and over the middle kills us just as much, if not more than, any mistakes Fitzpatrick makes.

Blame whomever you wish, but this week's loss is not on Fitzpatrick's shoulders. It's not on any one player's shoulders, some of it comes down to the Steelers getting the good breaks, some of it comes down to our guys not getting it done. Was Fitzpatrick one of those guys? Yeah, I can see that case being made, but it wasn't all him, nor were a majority of the problems on him.

Targeted players had to dive, extend, or jump to make plays on the ball? Okay, that's what they're paid to do. I don't see the problem. Except that they didn't make the plays that they're being paid to make.

I guess this is a matter of perspective. You can have a lower-end QB if you have a run-game that can keep the defense rested, and a defense that can prevent the opposition from scoring at will. That's basically how the Texans are built.

Our defense getting burned deep and over the middle kills us just as much, if not more than, any mistakes Fitzpatrick makes.

Blame whomever you wish, but this week's loss is not on Fitzpatrick's shoulders. It's not on any one player's shoulders, some of it comes down to the Steelers getting the good breaks, some of it comes down to our guys not getting it done. Was Fitzpatrick one of those guys? Yeah, I can see that case being made, but it wasn't all him, nor were a majority of the problems on him.

Targeted players had to dive, extend, or jump to make plays on the ball? Okay, that's what they're paid to do. I don't see the problem. Except that they didn't make the plays that they're being paid to make.

And did you see some of the catches that Steelers wide receivers made on critical drives? There is NO QUARTERBACK in the world that can lead a team on a game winning drive if his receivers cough up the ball to other team. None.

There is NO QUARTERBACK in the world that can lead a team on a game winning drive if his receivers cough up the ball to other team. None.

Holy exaggeration batman. We are talking 1 fumble in each of the last 2 games. Yeah, I'm sure no QB in the league can overcome a turnover. Never been done before. NONE of them has ever overcome such adversity. Why do they even play the game after a fumble?

Holy exaggeration batman. We are talking 1 fumble in each of the last 2 games. Yeah, I'm sure no QB in the league can overcome a turnover. Never been done before. NONE of them has ever overcome such adversity. Why do they even play the game after a fumble?

1 fumble in each game? No way...just last game - fumbled kickoff, fumble by RB, fumble by WR. And overcome a fumble on a crucial game winning or tying drive with time running down? Yeah ok...

1 fumble in each game? No way...just last game - fumbled kickoff, fumble by RB, fumble by WR. And overcome a fumble on a crucial game winning or tying drive with time running down? Yeah ok...

Read your own sentence - you said receivers.

And there was a muffed, not fumbled kickoff and it wasn't a turnover.

Point is your exaggeration is ridiculous. Teams overcome turnovers all the time. Comebacks are comebacks for a reason and that reason is often ... turnovers. Manning has 51 game winning drives. You wanna bet a few of those came after turnovers?

Point is your exaggeration is ridiculous. Teams overcome turnovers all the time. Comebacks are comebacks for a reason and that reason is often ... turnovers. Manning has 51 game winning drives. You wanna bet a few of those came after turnovers?

A muffed kickoff inside your five combined with a fumble combined with not covering a WR in the endzone = free points for the other team. In that game, there was ridiculous amount of breakdowns by the team that led to a near record setting number of points in less than 3 minutes for the Steelers! To act like that fiasco was a normal part of every game for a QB to easily overcome is ridiculous. Couple that with the fact that the Texans had multiple 2nd and 3rd and very shorts that the running game could not convert in the second half made a comeback even less likely. In the game before against the Colts, on the first series Fitz threw a pass that would have been a first down that was jarred out of the hands of the receiver. On the second series, he was hit as he threw and the ball fell incomplete on 3rd down. Two incomplete passes and down 17 points before he even has a chance to throw his third pass!!?? Then he helps lead them all the way back with admittedly some very good work by Arian Foster, and AJ fumbles in Indy territory on a potential game winning drive? Hmmm...and the whole point I was trying to make that a QB can't possibly win or tie a game on the last drive of a game when a receiver fumbles, especially a in the Pittsburgh game when you don't end up with enough possessions. You could point to Fitz's fumble against Indy I suppose as a big negative, but that situation was far more difficult - 80 yards to go and time running down with 0 time outs as opposed to 5 minutes and driving well into Indy territory when AJ fumbled without even being hit, again versus Fitz who was trying to scramble to make a play and was blindsided after the o-line whiffed in its protection - it was the same kind of thing that happened when Big Ben turned the ball over last game against us.

He was talking about on the "game winning" drive. Actually, that would have been the game tying drive. Andre's would have been on a game winning drive though.

So what's he going to do, buy a little time & deliver a deep ball? That's kinda what Fitz did (in his own way) getting that 32 yard pass to Hopkins... who fumbled it. Same thing with Andre (though not nearly as deep).

It's a chronic problem with this team, that our play makers, including the QB, chokes in big time situations.

I don't need a QB to buy time when he has got guys open. He holds on to the ball like he is paying his respects to David Carr. Our receivers are open, the TE's get open, the underneath guy is open, the slot is open. It's like he suffers from analysis paralysis.

My daydreaming on how this all went down...
Pre-Draft:

McNair - The market is pretty thin, what say we sign Fitzpatrick as our backup before someone else gets him?

O'Brien - Sounds good. He's serviceable and can help a young QB learn the ropes.

Later, still Pre-Draft:

McNair - That kid from my Alma Mater looks too good to pass up. We got booed for the Mario pick, but that turned out pretty well, can you wait on the QB?

O'Brien - Sounds good. Pair that kid with Watt and make it easy on my offense. There's always someone willing to deal on draft day and we've got 11 picks. I'm sure somebody will drop.

Draft Day 1:

McNair - That Mallett kid you liked is available, but Bill wants a 2nd or 3rd rounder, what do you say?

O'Brien - Let's see who falls to us first. Worst case, we can try to deal for him down the road.

Draft Day 2:

McNair - There's no way we can sell another Carr at QB. I didn't let you get that Bortles kid and you didn't want to trade up for the other two, what's the goal for today?

O'Brien - BPA. That'll mean that we won't be getting that QB right away. That OK with you?

McNair - Sure. Just remember we have to pick one up sometime, or the natives will get restless.

Training Camp:

McNair - How are the QBs looking today?

O'Brien - Jesus that Savage kid is RAW. Keenum is athletic, but can't get it down mentally. Fitz keeps getting passes batted at the line, but he's head-and-shoulders above the other two. Glad we snookered the Falcons into getting something for Yates.

Late Training Camp:
McNair - I've got a present for you!

O'Brien - You traded for Brady? (chuckles)

McNair - Not quite. We picked that Mallet kid up for you and it cost us a whole lot less than during draft day.

O'Brien - Figures. Bill got Garoppolo and he's expendable. I just wish you'd got him to me with some time to get him integrated. We've got to got with Fitz for now, you OK with that?

McNair - Well, he's got enough years in the league and we've invested enough on Defense... Just set him up to "manage games" OK?

O'Brien - Done. Heck, he's from Harvard. He can understand what we need him to do.

Current:
McNair - Dammit, I'm getting tired of being a laughingstock on national TV. What the hell happened?

O'Brien - Well, I can keep telling the press that Fitz is "the guy" and that he didn't lose the game, but he sure didn't help that snowball any.

McNair - What about Mallet? What about Savage?

O'Brien - Savage isn't anywhere near ready to go and Mallet is probably as ready as I'm going to get him. How do we sell this though?

My guess is that a change at QB would come after the bye week. It may come sooner if we lose another one in Tennesee.

I do think that the entire team has been playing poorly at times, but the QB is the biggest glaring issue at this point.

My guess is that a change at QB would come after the bye week. It may come sooner if we lose another one in Tennesee.

I do think that the entire team has been playing poorly at times, but the QB is the biggest glaring issue at this point.
If we lose to TEN, then our season is confirmed as done, and I see no point in throwing Mallet out there on just one week's practice. If we lose to TEN then Mallet gets the job behind the scenes immediately and its announced after Fitzy loses to PHI. That way Mallet gets a bunch more reps.

If we lose to TEN, then our season is confirmed as done, and I see no point in throwing Mallet out there on just one week's practice. If we lose to TEN then Mallet gets the job behind the scenes immediately and its announced after Fitzy loses to PHI. That way Mallet gets a bunch more reps.

One bad game is not going to ruin Ryan Mallet. He's going to have a bad game sooner or later.

Remember Ryan Fitzpatrick's first start?

Well, Luck and Big Ben must really suck if they can barely beat a team with a glaring weakness at QB after being spotted so many free points on turnovers.

Dear Mr. Mallett, please impress Mr. O'biak this week so that he will give you a start over the guy that came from under the I-45 elevated freeway near downtown. Perhaps you could get your coaches attention by scribbling on a peice of old cardboard "will play for food", maybe he may notice you, because that's how he found the guy under center. I'm sure your teammates would appreciate it, because before every snap we think the bearded one is calling a play, but actually he is hitting up team mates for spare change.

I apologize in advance for any homeless people I may offended with this post.

Dear Mr. Mallett, please impress Mr. O'biak this week so that he will give you a start over the guy that came from under the I-45 elevated freeway near downtown. Perhaps you could get your coaches attention by scribbling on a peice of old cardboard "will play for food", maybe he may notice you, because that's how he found the guy under center. I'm sure your teammates would appreciate it, because before every snap we think the bearded one is calling a play, but actually he is hitting up team mates for spare change.

I apologize in advance for any homeless people I may offended with this post.

droll :vincepalm:

One bad game is not going to ruin Ryan Mallet. He's going to have a bad game sooner or later.

Thank you! As I posted a couple days ago, I do not expect Mallett to start against the Titans, it's a short week, but by God, he needs to start against the Eagles! They're a good team, it should be the perfect litmus test. You have the bye after that to work things out/improve upon.

Thank you! As I posted a couple days ago, I do not expect Mallett to start against the Titans, it's a short week, but by God, he needs to start against the Eagles! They're a good team, it should be the perfect litmus test. You have the bye after that to work things out/improve upon.

The bye week is the only one which stands out as better because of the extra time. Between the other two is a toss up. Titans are a short week but a bad team with a rookie QB making his 1st start. Little more time with Philly but then a much better team.

I don't expect anything before the buy and increasingly am worried OB is going to be a bonehead and start Fitz until we are mathematically eliminated.

I don't expect anything before the buy and increasingly am worried OB is going to be a bonehead and start Fitz until we are mathematically eliminated.

I think it's worse than that. They've given up on Mallet. Fitz is our starter & Savage will compete with him for next year's starting job. If we finish with 7 wins & something stupid like 4 straight to finish the season, Fitz will start next season & Savage won't get a look until we're mathematically out next year.

Fitz first game action was against the Texans. in a 33-27 win.
19/30 , 310 yards , 3 TD 1 INT 5 sacks. QBR 117.4

His first start was the following week against Washington: in a 24-9 loss.
21/36 163 yards 0 TD , 1 INT , 3 sacks. QBR 58.

So he was even better with no "preparation" good catch.

& look at him now. Starting for the Houston Texans.

The bye week is the only one which stands out as better because of the extra time. Between the other two is a toss up. Titans are a short week but a bad team with a rookie QB making his 1st start. Little more time with Philly but then a much better team.

I hear ya, I don't expect anything before the bye either. I'd like to see it, but I don't expect it. If you turn out to be right and BoB doesn't make the move until the season is lost, my enthusiasm for BoB and the future of this team will be lost as well.

Please stop using the ESPN secret "Hot or Not" QBR meaningless statistic in stat posts. Anything that ranks Tim Tebow higher than Aaron Rodgers (on one of his typically fantastic performances) does not deserve to be disseminated.

Back