Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

I have just accepted that whether I like it or not, barring injury Fitz is going to be the starter for the remainder of the season. :gun:

This is where I'm at, as well.

I think this staff truly believes that they are fighting for a playoff spot, so anything that rocks the boat or threatens to undermine that goal is not going to happen. And changing starting QBs is definitely a potential boat rocker.

This is a very underrated point in all of this discussion to play him now. The most likely scenario is that Mallett plays middle of the road alternating being a smidgeon above average to slightly below average. Even if we were happy with this and OB came out and declared him the starter going into the 2015 season, he still has to be resigned. What's more is that even with this type of performance he could still have the likes of Tenn, Buff, NYJ and TB courting him with a crazy deal to come in and be their day 1 starter. Do we really want this organization..more specifically Rick Smith to again make the decision on whether or not to wager our immediate future on a middling qb by offering an above average contract to a player who could honestly go either way on the performance scale once we commit?

or should we do everything to try to make him commit to us while also keeping an eye on the future with Savage and future prospect in the 2015 draft?

I mean we are just gonna be coming out of the salary cap mess the Schaub extension created for us. We can't afford to be wrong at this position anymore if we resign this kid based on average play and the following season he falls off as teams get tape on him.

I wouldn't want Smith to make a decision on anything. This includes whether to poop or get off the pot. I would rather him just crap on himself. Kinda like he's done on the Texans org. (City of Houston)

With a done Cushing on the books for a 10 mil cap hit the Texans are far from in good cap shape. IMHO

Ding Ding Ding . . . . give the man a see-gar!

My definition of POS is someone not getting it done and getting paid like he is. He's been injured ever since being drafted. In the past four months, he's undergone surgery for a hernia, suffered a concussion, and now tops the list with his knee injury. What's next?

I've yet to see him get through an entire game without getting hurt. I don't much care anymore what he can bring to the team. I'll just be happy that he can actually get through the game. How bout that for a drop of expectations?

My guess is you feel the same way about Cushing. He's on the books for a 10 mil cap hit and basically hasn't played in 3 yrs?

This is where I'm at, as well.

I think this staff truly believes that they are fighting for a playoff spot, so anything that rocks the boat or threatens to undermine that goal is not going to happen. And changing starting QBs is definitely a potential boat rocker.
If this staff thinks the Texans are fighting for a playoff spot, then they are delusional. The Texans have lost 4 in a row in very similar fashion to last season. Fitz has played a major role in all of those losses. His mistakes in crunch time have been devastating. If the Texans are going to compete for a playoff spot, they need to seriously consider a change at the QB position. I'd prefer Mallett over Savage at this point.

Um...which QB did the Texans draft in the 1st round again? David Carr was waaay before Fitz....:kitten::uprights:

We didn't, not in 2014, but it wasn't because we had Fitzpatrick. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

One guy: "Hey, let's take a QB with our first overall pick."

Or: "Hey, let's trade down & grab a QB."

Or: "Let's trade back into the first to get a QB."

Of all the reasons stated, I doubt one of them was, "Nah, we've got Fitzpatrick."

If this staff thinks the Texans are fighting for a playoff spot, then they are delusional. The Texans have lost 4 in a row in very similar fashion to last season. Fitz has played a major role in all of those losses. His mistakes in crunch time have been devastating. If the Texans are going to compete for a playoff spot, they need to seriously consider a change at the QB position. I'd prefer Mallett over Savage at this point.

I get your point, but.....

Pittsburgh
Indianapolis
Dallas
Buffalo

We've only lost three in a row.

We didn't, not in 2014, but it wasn't because we had Fitzpatrick. I'm sure that had nothing to do with it.

One guy: "Hey, let's take a QB with our first overall pick."

Or: "Hey, let's trade down & grab a QB."

Or: "Let's trade back into the first to get a QB."

Of all the reasons stated, I doubt one of them was, "Nah, we've got Fitzpatrick."
Did you completely miss the :kitten: AND the :uprights:???

Just messing with ya, man. LOL

"Fitz has played a major role in all of those losses." If you say so.

I'm hopeful.

Sooooooo..... you think Bortles & Mettenberger are talented in what way?

Not trying to be funny, I seriously want to know what you think about these three. Bortles is easily the more athletic of the bunch. But Savage is at least as athletic as Mettenberger. I think more. I also believe Savage has the strongest arm of the bunch, Bortles the weakest (still strong enough, not even close to "noodle arm").

What "talent" do you hope Savage possesses, or can develop on par with Bortles & Mett ?

I don't understand Obrien. he says mallett needs to work on his accuracy. does Obrien think fitz is accurate??? I don't see how.

Well, he can do something that you can't do, which is watch both of them in practice, right?

Mr tex is right. This is just a fan satisfaction drive, and nothing more than that.

...you can feel about Fitz any way you wish, but he has proven to very durable, unlike that fragile POS Clowney, so I wouldn't count on it.

I don't understand all this clammoring for Mallet. It's like everyone has forgotten that there was a reason why New England dumped him.

Fitzpatrick stands behind 5 or more guys at or near 300lbs and is not making contact on every play. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously trying to compare Fitzpatrick to the kind of pounding Clowney takes on every play?

Let me guess... you thought we should have drafted Johnny Clipboard? The reason Mallet got "Dumped" has been covered over and over. Please stop with this nonsensical narrative. Joe Montana was also "Dumped" as you call it after being injured for two years. He went on to take the Chiefs to the AFCCG the year he was traded. Before reaching the AFCCG, against the Houston Oilers, Montana led the team to 28 second half points, including three touchdown passes to earn the 29th fourth quarter comeback win of his career. Does that mean he was dumped because he was "obviously" flawed or not good anymore?

Ding Ding Ding . . . . give the man a see-gar!

My definition of POS is someone not getting it done and getting paid like he is. He's been injured ever since being drafted. In the past four months, he's undergone surgery for a hernia, suffered a concussion, and now tops the list with his knee injury. What's next?

I've yet to see him get through an entire game without getting hurt. I don't much care anymore what he can bring to the team. I'll just be happy that he can actually get through the game. How bout that for a drop of expectations?

So you have determined the mans entire career based on his first season, which isn't even over yet? Any chance you could tell me this weeks winning lotto numbers? Surely that would be easier than what you are attempting to do regarding Clowney's career.

Unless you are going to argue practice is the same as real games I don't see how you can argue this. Is that what you're saying?

Exactly... lot's of players look average or worse at practice but light up in real games.

Fitzpatrick stands behind 5 or more guys at or near 300lbs and is not making contact on every play. How can you expect anyone to take you seriously trying to compare Fitzpatrick to the kind of pounding Clowney takes on every play?
Clowney was untouched on his last injury. He probably could've hurt himself anyway while picking flowers that day.

Clowney was untouched on his last injury. He probably could've hurt himself anyway while picking flowers that day.

That's your narrative. Does not make it true. Like I just said in another thread. Some of the players Spurrier praised for their "legendary work ethic" have suffered significant injuries and missed, and are currently missing time due to injury. Stop acting like Clowney is the only guy who gets injured. Just because you wanted Johnny Clipboard or Bortles and did not get your wish does not make Clowney made of glass or a bust. Let's give it a season or two shall we? Perhaps that would be the prudent thing to do.

Naaaaa.. Who am I kidding? Let's just keep making ridiculous, unsubstantiated claims about players we dislike. That's so much more fun!

Haha...not perfect, just PLEASE no more 24 point implosions!!

Come on man, that was one freaking game and a very freakish thing to happen. The rest of the losses were in large part due to completely inept first half offensive play, starting with the amish rifle.

Come on man, that was one freaking game and a very freakish thing to happen. The rest of the losses were in large part due to completely inept first half offensive play, starting with the amish rifle.

How about 2 games in a row! Against Indy, first drive WR drops first down pass, second drive hit as he throws on 3rd and long. 2 incomplete passes and all of a sudden down 17 points (remember that wonderful onside kick!!) That stuff should NEVER happen!

Sooooooo..... you think Bortles & Mettenberger are talented in what way?

Not trying to be funny, I seriously want to know what you think about these three. Bortles is easily the more athletic of the bunch. But Savage is at least as athletic as Mettenberger. I think more. I also believe Savage has the strongest arm of the bunch, Bortles the weakest (still strong enough, not even close to "noodle arm").

What "talent" do you hope Savage possesses, or can develop on par with Bortles & Mett ?

In terms of physical ability ("talent") I don't think there's that much difference between the three of them really. That's one of the reasons why I was against taking Bortles that high (first overall). I would have been fine grabbing him with a trade back up into the lower first if he'd fallen that far for some reason or Taking Mettenberger anywhere after the top of the third round. I was amazed he fell as far as he did. I've gotten on a tangent though.

What I mean is that Bortles played a lot of football. Mettenberger played plenty of football (against really good competition for the most part). Savage I have a much smaller sample size on. I think he's as talented as the rest of them but I'm not certain that the way he handled his situation (some of it self inflicted) in college necessarily translates to "Will be a good NFL starter". It's like Fitz is a Harvard graduate and his intelligence is often cited but it doesn't mean that he can execute an offense at this level (and at this speed) even if he can learn it quickly.

Mountains of talented guys out there who can't play because of what isn't between their ears and how much (or rather little) desire and dedication they have, how grown up they are. Failing to have a lot to look at on Savage I'm left to hope that what O'Brien says about him, what the Texans say they see in him is true. I hope he's as-advertised between the ears and as mature as he's described. I mean it's not like the Texans have ever told us what we wanted to hear about a player in the past or been mistaken in their assessment right? (cringe).

Where his physical talent, arm strength/accuracy is concerned I have no complaints. I think he belongs in the company of the other QB's in this class.

This has nothing to do with Fitz & this season..Not sure why you keep bringing him up. You know what this team is 7 games into the season and if you're being honest, starting Mallet doesn't project to change its projected course either. Which is why to me there really isn't much to be gained other than being satisfied to watch someone else under center make game losing plays in another fashion different from Fitz. In fact, you really stand to lose more in the event that Mallet plays half way decent b/c at that point he's gonna be looking to cash in...and that could be here..or somewhere else that can offer him a starting slot to go with that contract.
So, don't risk starting someone who MAY be good, because it might cost you more $$??

:kubepalm:

Cak, we butt heads very little & i respect your posts..but the bolded is where we can agree to disagree b/c this value to be gained by knowing isn't for the team, right now its purely for the fans. The guy charged with knowing and making that decision has already knows.
Purely for who? WTF are you talking about? The TEAM needs to know whether they've got something for the long-term or not.

I agreed with your earlier take that I doon't think it changes the overall "team trajectory" this season, but you have to evaluate folks under live fire.

Are you hanging your hat on what BoB think he sees in practice? I certainly don't think BoB is the world's best talent evaluator. We've got a receiver who's been shown by a PROVEN offensive guru to have promise. He hasn't even been activated this year.

No, it's TWO consecutive games, both in Primetime. 24 unanswered in 8 minutes and 21 unanswered in under 3.

So, don't risk starting someone who MAY be good, because it might cost you more $$??

Purely for who? WTF are you talking about? The TEAM needs to know whether they've got something for the long-term or not.

I agreed with your earlier take that I doon't think it changes the overall "team trajectory" this season, but you have to evaluate folks under live fire.

Are you hanging your hat on what BoB think he sees in practice? I certainly don't think BoB is the world's best talent evaluator. We've got a receiver who's been shown by a PROVEN offensive guru to have promise. He hasn't even been activated this year.

No, it's TWO consecutive games, both in Primetime. 24 unanswered in 8 minutes and 21 unanswered in under 3.

msr

Your first sentence says it all. They keep rolling Fitzpatrick out there for this season, and that tells us that they are playing for this year.

Head coaches are notorious for wearing blinders that only allow them to see the current season. O'Brien is not thinking about 2015, at least not at this point while his team is still "in the hunt".

Delusional, indeed.

Your first sentence says it all. They keep rolling Fitzpatrick out there for this season, and that tells us that they are playing for this year.

Head coaches are notorious for wearing blinders that only allow them to see the current season. O'Brien is not thinking about 2015, at least not at this point while his team is still "in the hunt".

Delusional, indeed.

Which makes it painful to watch every Sunday, especially the part he keeps saying that everyone needs to step up their game to allow Fitz to be better. :gun:

This is institutionalized weinyfication . The marketing company is more concerned with our game attire off Kirby than the game itself . Some prime time games haven't been blowouts but very few are wins . The exceptions are when we beat the hibernating bears in the mud and Lions on Turkey day , both on the road . We are the nicey nice version of the Sunscreen Deficient Native Americans .

In terms of physical ability ("talent") I don't think there's that much difference between the three of them really. That's one of the reasons why I was against taking Bortles that high (first overall). I would have been fine grabbing him with a trade back up into the lower first if he'd fallen that far for some reason or Taking Mettenberger anywhere after the top of the third round. I was amazed he fell as far as he did. I've gotten on a tangent though.

What I mean is that Bortles played a lot of football. Mettenberger played plenty of football (against really good competition for the most part). Savage I have a much smaller sample size on. I think he's as talented as the rest of them but I'm not certain that the way he handled his situation (some of it self inflicted) in college necessarily translates to "Will be a good NFL starter". It's like Fitz is a Harvard graduate and his intelligence is often cited but it doesn't mean that he can execute an offense at this level (and at this speed) even if he can learn it quickly.

Mountains of talented guys out there who can't play because of what isn't between their ears and how much (or rather little) desire and dedication they have, how grown up they are. Failing to have a lot to look at on Savage I'm left to hope that what O'Brien says about him, what the Texans say they see in him is true. I hope he's as-advertised between the ears and as mature as he's described. I mean it's not like the Texans have ever told us what we wanted to hear about a player in the past or been mistaken in their assessment right? (cringe).

Where his physical talent, arm strength/accuracy is concerned I have no complaints. I think he belongs in the company of the other QB's in this class.

MSR, thanks for answering.

Ryan Mallett: I’ll be ready to start if I’m called on

Link

Texans backup quarterback Ryan Mallett isn’t exactly campaigning to unseat starter Ryan Fitzpatrick. But he says he’ll be ready if that’s what happens.

After coach Bill O’Brien said this week that Mallett is putting in work in practice and getting better, Mallett said he’ll be ready to go if O’Brien hands him the ball.

“If it happens, it happens,” Mallett said, via the Houston Chronicle. “I’ll be ready. I’ll be prepared. I prepare like I’m the starter. I have since I’ve been in the NFL. I’ve just got to continue to do that and be ready when my number’s called.”

Mallett has never started an NFL game and has barely played, getting just a bit of mop-up duty during his three seasons as Tom Brady’s backup in New England. But O’Brien, who coached in New England during Mallett’s rookie year, has praised his work in the film room, and seems to agree with Mallett’s self-assessment that he’ll be ready. There’s a very good chance that at some point soon, O’Brien will call on Mallett and we’ll all see just how ready he is.

Nobody hit Dre when his hammy detached. Nobody hit RG3 when his angle dislocated. You act as if this is the first time this has happened in the NFL. Like it is unheard of. If the guy played the last few seasons injured with bone spurs and a groin. It certainly puts a great deal of stress on other parts of his body when he compensates for those injuries.

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the Colts game. I missed the first half due to my son's baseball game.

I wouldn't exactly say you missed anything. Too much face palming is bad for anyone. I know my hairline receded at least an inch during that 1st half from all the face palming I was doing.

Hard to believe that anyone can't see that Fitz was a poor choice. When I first read we had signed him, I thought it was a joke. And I'm dead serious. The game revolves around your quarterback. Peyton Manning can have a team much worse than ours - and we have a good team really – but if we had Manning or someone even close to his caliber - within 10 miles of it - we would not of lost the last two games and possibly not the last three.

Hard to believe that anyone can't see that Fitz was a poor choice. When I first read we had signed him, I thought it was a joke. And I'm dead serious.

We all thought it was a bad choice for a back-up. How in the hell is Ryan Fitzpatrick going to mentor anybody? No one seriously thought he was going to be starting.

The game revolves around your quarterback. Peyton Manning can have a team much worse than ours - and we have a good team really – but if we had Manning or someone even close to his caliber - within 10 miles of it - we would not of lost the last two games and possibly not the last three.

But they had Luck & Roethlisberger. Just because we have a decent QB doesn't mean the other team doesn't. Most likely it still comes down to the final possession & a WR fumble.

Hard to believe that anyone can't see that Fitz was a poor choice. When I first read we had signed him, I thought it was a joke. And I'm dead serious. The game revolves around your quarterback. Peyton Manning can have a team much worse than ours - and we have a good team really – but if we had Manning or someone even close to his caliber - within 10 miles of it - we would not of lost the last two games and possibly not the last three.
Agreed. Of course, Rick Smith had dialogue - a few of them were small conversations with their agent - with other so-so guys like Chad Henne, Kyle Orton and Matt Cassel. Two of those guys quickly re-signed and came off the market. Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't our first choice of free agent quarterbacks but the pool was pretty slim in terms of talent.

Meanwhile teams like the Browns and Rams have found some incredible luck, seemingly out of nowhere, with their starting quarterback. Maybe we could pry Johnny Football away from the Browns for a draft pick or two as he isn't in their future plans. Sam Bradford could be a possibility for us during the next free agency. I'm pretty sure the Rams will part ways with him. Too expensive and he's been injury prone. We can sign him for cheap and see what he has. Either that or we draft another young guy in the 2015 draft. First we must see what Ryan Mallett can do. Why Bill O'Brien is starting Fitzpatrick at Tennessee tomorrow is beyond my comprehension. We know what Fitzpatrick can do. It isn't pretty.

That being said we'll probably beat the Titans tomorrow and Ryan Fitzpatrick will look good. It doesn't really mean a whole lot when you beat mediocre competition. If we had won any of the past three games against good teams with winning records that would have meant a heck of a lot more to me. A 4-4 average record coming back home against the Eagles, another amazing team, just means we're the same average franchise that can't beat any of the big boys in this league. We've been average to below average for far too long. Save for the two wild-card wins over the Bengals. A team that hasn't won a playoff game since 1991.

That being said we'll probably beat the Titans tomorrow and Ryan Fitzpatrick will look good.

Think maybe he'll give another "moving" speech?

Fitz:
This game means a lot to me..... they kicked me to the curb. If you think you suck... look to me. I'll show you what sukage looks like.

Honestly, I think Fitz has been playing well the last few weeks. Well enough to win.

...It doesn't really mean a whole lot when you beat mediocre competition. If we had won any of the past three games against good teams with winning records that would have meant a heck of a lot more to me. A 4-4 average record coming back home against the Eagles, another amazing team, just means we're the same average franchise that can't beat any of the big boys in this league..
And I hate hearing this over and over. Veteran fans expected nothing more, going into this season. The team is playing exactly as expected, and maybe better than some expected. What's there to gripe about? Want something more, then look forward to the draft and next training camp. This season, we dance with who we got. The one exception being the call to bring in Mallet and/or Savage.

And I hate hearing this over and over. Veteran fans expected nothing more, going into this season. The team is playing exactly as expected, and maybe better than some expected. What's there to gripe about? Want something more, then look forward to the draft and next training camp. This season, we dance with who we got. The one exception being the call to bring in Mallet and/or Savage.
You fail to mention one thing. Our 2014 draft class. I didn't expect all of our big-name rookies to contribute so little. I didn't know Jadeveon Clowney would get hurt in the second quarter of Week 1 or that Louis Nix III would be put on IR. I expected more production out of our rookies. Had that been so we'd probably have another win or two, if not won the past three games, despite Fitzpatrick's poor play at quarterback. I don't think we'd have given up 24 points in one quarter during back-to-back weeks.

Honestly, I think Fitz has been playing well the last few weeks. Well enough to win.

Hmm,
NO!

1-8 on third down conversions with a bunch of 3 and out, giving the opponents too many opportunities is not playing well enough to win against the Colts.

Throwing an INT in your end of the field, settling for 2 FGs, missing wide open receivers on big plays is not playing well enough to win.
Sure, you can say that Fitz didn't have the worse game of his career, but he did not play welà enough to win.

I was looking forward to the draft at this time last year. Now is not the time to look forward to the draft. We're a 3-4 team that just needs to string together a four or five-game winning streak to sneak back into the picture for the AFC wild card race. We can do that by starting Ryan Mallett and hoping that Jadeveon Clowney can make some big plays as he eases back into playing shape. Beating the Titans tomorrow with Ryan Fitzpatrick doesn't really do much for me. I sort of expect it. A 4-4 record is average. My entire point is that the Texans, as an organization, whether it's the front office, coaches, players or fans, should stop settling for average. We want to win a Super Bowl one day. I still haven't given up on the 2014 season but I realize it's going to take more from not only the quarterback position but from the so-called "once in a decade" talent we drafted number one overall in the 2014 draft.

You fail to mention one thing. Our 2014 draft class. I didn't expect all of our big-name rookies to contribute so little. I didn't know Jadeveon Clowney would get hurt in the second quarter of Week 1 or that Louis Nix III would be put on IR. I expected more production out of our rookies. Had that been so we'd probably have another win or two, if not won the past three games, despite Fitzpatrick's poor play at quarterback. I don't think we'd have given up 24 points in one quarter during back-to-back weeks.
Good point; and although I didn't mention it, this is something I'm aware of. My early prediction of a 9 win season, with 10 a possibility, was predicated upon Clowney being a major contributor. Nix was a question mark. I hoped for quality production but because of his injury, wasn't sure we'd get it this current season. I do expect him to be at full speed next season. I also expected better production from our TE's in the passing game.

But despite all these set backs, we are still on pace for a 7 win season, with a reasonable chance to still win 9 games if Clowney can be effective after the bye.

My point is, there really should be no complaint, at this point, on how the season is progressing.

Addressing your second post, I'll have to disagree with you that the organization is "settling" for "average". They want to win as badly as the fans. There will always be differences of opinion on how best to achieve the success everyone wants; and it's the prerogative of fans to vocally disagree with the decisions of the owner, management and coaches.

The problem with your logic is that Peyton is an elite QB. There's only a handful of those. Just any QB isn't the same thing. Hopefully, we'll be able to address the position, just a matter of when, how, and whom.

Posey? If so, yeah, I've been thinking about that as well.

You didn't know, though you should have been prepared. There were questions about the durability of Clowney and Nix before the draft. You're putting undue burden on the remaining rookies thinking they were going to help the team in their first year rise from the ashes of a 2-14 dumpster fire.

Posey? If so, yeah, I've been thinking about that as well.

Yeah Posey IMO is better than Martin, and D. Johnson can't figure out why he isn't helping us on Sundays

O'Brien stated that Martin and Johnson are ahead of Posey because they can help on special teams. Besides, I think Posey's "potential" is being overplayed. I don't remember a lot of great plays when he did get opportunities in previous seasons. The Texans just don't have a legit #3 WR.

O'Brien stated that Martin and Johnson are ahead of Posey because they can help on special teams. Besides, I think Posey's "potential" is being overplayed. I don't remember a lot of great plays when he did get opportunities in previous seasons. The Texans just don't have a legit #3 WR.

martin is trash and Johnson is the used kleenex you haven't thrown away yet because you might have to blow your nose again soon. Neither are good. Posey has much more potential then those 2 idiots. He must suck in practice or had sex with OB's wife...

They're also bringing a couple of extra defensive players. I think he said they dress 19 offensive guys & 23 defensive players. If they split it right down the middle (which I know no-one does), it would be 21 on both sides.

But.... we were actually playing all our LBs inside. Cush, Tuggle, Tarp, & Mohammed have all been getting playing time. That wasn't always the case. It was Cush & one other guy.

I haven't seen Dent play at OLB... but it was cool to see Simon come in & get some snaps so quick. Helps me think that they know it's a problem & they're working to fix it... instead of that "do the same thing" approach.

Crick, Jamison, Grease, & Powe have been getting a lot of playing time as well. In the past, we'd only play one NT, now we have two active... I really like the way they've been moving everyone around on the DL though. May be taking longer than some of us would like but it helps me believe they'll get it figured out as they aren't afraid to try "everything."

Back