Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Ryan Mallett

Huh? I don't get what you're saying? So everyone played great besides Fitz? The Foster fumble was on Fitz? The Hopkins fumble was on Fitz? The defense's inability to cover Bell was on Fitz? Manning's muff was on Fitz? I'm on the Mallet train too, but let's not act like Fitz is losing these games on his own.

Let's also not pretend he is providing inspiration to the rest of the team while tossing INT's backed up in our own end. That kind of let's the air out of the sails for the rest of the team especially after the first two TO's.

Perhaps a few deep balls will inspire the guys that we can go deeper than 15 yards and lift their play. Perhaps Mallett will flop. It's time to make the change. Full stop!

He cant throw anything but short routes.
he doesn't challenge a defense
He only makes quick drops which gives the o line no damn time
Defenses stack the box because they KNOW he will not challenge them deep.

So yes it is pretty much all on Fitz.

Um .... you mean the OL only give him time for those quick drops .... don't you ?! OL don't NEED Time , they are there to produce protection time for the QB .... so he can take those deep drops.

:smiliepalm:

Fitz does suck. :boogereater:

He cant throw anything but short routes.
he doesn't challenge a defense
He only makes quick drops which gives the o line no damn time
Defenses stack the box because they KNOW he will not challenge them deep.

So yes it is pretty much all on Fitz.

He can barely do that....

Forget Ryan Mallett .... I'd settle for Bucky Richardson bout now .... Anything but Fitzpatrick and that's no sarcasm.

To be a good qb, you have to have at least 1 quality,fitz has 0. He doesn't have a cannon,great athlete,accuracy and touch, something. He has 0. I don't know why people are surprised. I mean, the titans even let him walk as if they had better options. They brought in charlie whitehurst,lol.

Meanwhile in Indy, it looks like they will own the divison for years while the texans cntinue to look for guys to get Luck on the ground. Even when the Texans were supposed to have an elite offense,I never heard th colts worrying about getting schaub on the ground.

Got no problem with going to Mallett but getting really tired of everyone piling on Fitzpatrick. We get it, he's not very good and he's not the future. We're all watching the same games so we should all be on the same page here. But he's not the one who made Dre fumble last week. He didn't make Nuk or Foster fumble this week. He didn't muff the kickoff or leave a RB wide open on a goal line flat route. He didn't make Duane Brown suck or Cushing become a shell of his former self.

He's generally good for one giant screw-up a game, but when the rest of the team is adding 4-5 more giant screw-ups to that group it gets pretty annoying to see people toss all the blame just on Fitz. The aggravation is understandable, but some of you are so determined to throw Fitz under the bus regardless solely out of your desperation to see what Mallett has. Let's try and be more objective about things. It's going to be pretty hypocritical of a lot of you if Mallett comes in and stinks up the joint and you don't dog him incessantly for it.

All that said, I honestly don't think a QB change does anything. Mallett or Savage could come in and play a flawless game and we still could lose because this team just can't get out of it's own way. This team has 5 turnovers in the last 2 weeks and Fitzpatrick is only responsible for 2 of them. Meanwhile, the entire team has melted down in the 1st quarter of one game and the 2nd quarter of another. The QB position is a problem, but it seems pretty clear that this goes much deeper than just the QB.

Found this video of Mallet playing this preseason on YouTube

SKIP TO 7:53 TO SEE RYAN MALLET

Apologies if this was already posted and discussed about previously in this thread. Haven't been keeping up with this thread.

Anyways a couple things I took away from this video:

-He's accurate with the football, had good touch on the deep passes. There was one he over threw but I guess it's better to over throw than under throw on those passes. Stood tall in the pocket and delivered the ball.

-He's more mobile than advertised. I've heard that Mallet is just about immobile as Schaub was. Well I don't know much about Mallet but he seemed to be scrambling around and avoiding pressure pretty well to me. Obviously he's no Michael Vick. He's slow for sure but he uses his feet when he needs to. He keeps his eyes down field while using his feet to avoid pressure and step up in the pocket. He even had a few scrambles.

-This guy has a rocket arm. He can probably make most of the throws an nfl qb has to make. Only concern is if he makes the right throws at the right time. What I'm trying to say is he has all the tools. But can he take advantage of that and become a good NFL qb? Who knows.

-His play action fakes are legit! We have been so spoiled by Matt Schaub these past few years with his amazing play action fakes and now we are left with Fitzpatrick who can't fake a running play to save his life. Texans run the ball extremley well so this skill would be a major plus for us. Mallet's play action could result in many big plays for the Texans

-Lastly, I don't know much about this guy at all. Never actually seen him play except this video and maybe a couple other clips. So don't take my words so seriously. Just an opinion. But this guy looks solid to me. I'm not saying he's going to be the next best thing but I feel like he's a way better option at this point than Fitz. He's just a better fit for what we need right now and that is a game manager. He also fits OB's mold of a qb... Tall, strong arm, accurate.

Who knows what Mallet could be? Who knows what he is? Put him in the game and let's see. The texans have to take a risk and make bold moves for once. Why trot out Fitz when you already know what you're going to get out of him? We have a year with Mallet, let's see what he has.

I would start Ryan Mallett at Tennessee next Sunday and for the rest of the season. Let's see what he can do. If he struggles then we can draft a quarterback in the first round of the 2015 draft.

This is exactly what I don't care to see.......wait until there is nothing left to play for and the team is worn out/no longer trying and then throw in Mallett and only use the rest of this year to determine if he can win games. I wonder when was the last time we've seen that?

If they put in Mallett next Sunday, then fine. But don't wait until the team is battered and giving up before trying to determine whether this QB can be our answer at QB, especially if he hasn't even started before. He should be our starter at game #1 next year, then we will know for sure what we have!

Got no problem with going to Mallett but getting really tired of everyone piling on Fitzpatrick. We get it, he's not very good and he's not the future. We're all watching the same games so we should all be on the same page here. But he's not the one who made Dre fumble last week. He didn't make Nuk or Foster fumble this week. He didn't muff the kickoff or leave a RB wide open on a goal line flat route. He didn't make Duane Brown suck or Cushing become a shell of his former self.

He's generally good for one giant screw-up a game, but when the rest of the team is adding 4-5 more giant screw-ups to that group it gets pretty annoying to see people toss all the blame just on Fitz. The aggravation is understandable, but some of you are so determined to throw Fitz under the bus regardless solely out of your desperation to see what Mallett has. Let's try and be more objective about things. It's going to be pretty hypocritical of a lot of you if Mallett comes in and stinks up the joint and you don't dog him incessantly for it.

All that said, I honestly don't think a QB change does anything. Mallett or Savage could come in and play a flawless game and we still could lose because this team just can't get out of it's own way. This team has 5 turnovers in the last 2 weeks and Fitzpatrick is only responsible for 2 of them. Meanwhile, the entire team has melted down in the 1st quarter of one game and the 2nd quarter of another. The QB position is a problem, but it seems pretty clear that this goes much deeper than just the QB.

No it's not. Fitzpatrick is a 10 year vet with tons of starting game experience. Mallet has virtually none. So it would be unfair to rag on Mallett at least until he has 7 games to stink it up like Fitz has.

Stop telling us about all of the other mistakes being made. We don't care. We saw the same plays as you did. Fitz is not a good leader. He is not inspiring the guys who play for him. Let the entire team melt down around Mallett if that is what is meant to be. At this point I do not care to hear any more Fitz excuses and want to see Mallett after losing the last 4 of 5 games with Fitz under center.

I get so sick of hearing people say "Well Fitz didn't lose us the game"

Well i can tell you he sure as hell didn't win it for us. And that's enough for me.

Sure these losses are not entirely on him BUT Fitz lacks the ability to carry an offense. If not for Foster we would be 1-6, If not for Watt we would be 0-7.

If having a QB who can just do "OK" or "Not lose us the game" is good enough for some of you, then i hope you're happy with below average, enjoy it.

Perhaps a few deep balls will inspire the guys that we can go deeper than 15 yards and lift their play. Perhaps Mallett will flop. It's time to make the change. Full stop!

I know he threw a 20 yarder to Andre. He threw a 32 yarder to Hop. There were a couple of others as well.

I don't like Fitzpatrick either, but to btch about him today... when Arian fumbled on the 2 yard line, Dre doesn't win that battle in the end zone, Hopkins loses the ball on a game tying drive, we drop a couple of INTs that hit us squarely in the hands, we knew they were going to throw it to Andre Brown...

Today's, imo, is not the day.

I know he threw a 20 yarder to Andre. He threw a 32 yarder to Hop. There were a couple of others as well.

Thanks for bringing those up. The pass to Hopkins is a perfect example of Fitz' problem not just being the 1 or more "big plays" a game like INTs where he goes total bonehead. His "succeses" suck. He had all the wind up and step up in the world on that pass and barely got it to where Hopkins could make a diving catch. Virtually every pass from him eliminates any chance for YAC as the receiver is forced to stop, come back in adjustment, win a jump ball or dive. Look at what other teams do to us with slants throwing safe short passes and then letting the receivers figure out if our secondary can open field tackle. We don't get those. We get stop reach back tackle on the spot if they manage to make the catch while the defender comes over their back. These 7 yd completions are deluding people when they should be 12+ yd receptions.

Thanks for bringing those up. The pass to Hopkins is a perfect example of Fitz' problem not just being the 1 or more "big plays" a game like INTs where he goes total bonehead. His "succeses" suck. He had all the wind up and step up in the world on that pass and barely got it to where Hopkins could make a diving catch. Virtually every pass from him eliminates any chance for YAC as the receiver is forced to stop, come back in adjustment, win a jump ball or dive. Look at what other teams do to us with slants throwing safe short passes and then letting the receivers figure out if our secondary can open field tackle. We don't get those. We get stop reach back tackle on the spot if they manage to make the catch while the defender comes over their back. These 7 yd completions are deluding people when they should be 12+ yd receptions.

The pass I'm talking about is the one he caught on the sideline, then ran across the middle. He got stripped when he tried to turn it upfield.

I hear what you're saying, & watching Antonio Brown last night, Demarius Thomas Sunday, & Ty Hilton last week, I was wondering, do we have anyone that can "just run by" a defender? I don't know if we don't call those kinds of routes because of Fitz, or because we don't really have anyone that fast.

That's different than saying mallet is pretty much guaranteed to play better...which is what many are saying in here....in a roundabout way. Many Redskin fans were starting to tnink like you guys after watching RG3 pretty much stink it up for a year and a half. 5 games into the season, they're ready for him to come back b/c cousins has been worse after an initial decent little showing.

Im not defending Fitz...im just saying what good does it do to put a great engine in your car when you've got no tires to drive on?

Easy! To make sure you actually DO have a great engine and that it runs properly. A burn test as you would. If Mallet shows a lot of promise on the field and can win us some games that Fitz obviously couldn't, then we know QB is no longer a high priority. If Mallet comes out totally overwhelmed, then 1st round draft for QB it is. That's the way I see it.

I'd start Mallett now.

Fitz is not your future. You aren't winning a superbowl with him this year or at any point ever. Probably not with Mallett either, but lets at least give him the chance to rule himself out. And if he stinks then go to Savage.

Lets at least get some basis for a discussion on what to do with our first pick next year. Maybe BOB is actually doing the smart thing and not giving Mallett or Savage any time to even pretend to be franchise guys so there is no doubt when the draft rolls around that we will take a QB first round.

Don't put that one on Smith. McNair yes for siding with the coach in that dispute, but Smith wanted Manning. At least that's what the rumors say. It could be his one good decision.

Fitzpatrick costs this team. You can't put the blame on his shoulder's alone, but his failure to mount a drive with 3 minutes left in the 1st half gave the Steelers the opportunity. If he puts together a decent drive and either gets us points or at least moves the ball enough and burns some clock then Pittsburgh doesn't have the points explosion. His decisions when under pressure don't always lead to turnovers, but they never result in positives for the Texans.

He's good enough to help the Texans go 8-8 at the best. I'm sure the other QBs on the roster aren't necessarily better, but they can't be that much worse. Every other QB in the league (well, not all of them) would have taken advantage of Brice McCain trying to cover Andre.

Gruden made a point about how smart Fitzpatrick was and the fact that he has started for so many teams as some kind of proof of that. I think the fact that he has started for 5 different teams means he isn't a good QB and would be better served as a backup. Name me one good QB that has played on that many teams.

There was a guy who signed with four NFL teams, played for three of them and spent some time on a pro team in Iowa.

Played in the Super Bowl and is mentioned as a future HOFr

Does four teams come close enough?

:coffee:

I don't envision Ryan Fitzpatrick being the Texans starting quarterback in 2015. Is it Ryan Mallett? Is it Tom Savage? Is it some other free agent we may sign or a rookie we may draft in the upcoming off-season? These questions have to be answered moving forward.

With nine games left this season when is the right time to start Ryan Mallett? The team is 3-4 and the season is starting to slip away if they don't get some immediate consistency and quality play from the quarterback position. The offense needs some type of spark in the passing game.

It's frustrating having legitimate talent like Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins on the outside, or the tight ends we have, and we don't consistently use our talent level. I can only imagine Andre Johnson's frustrations, in particular, as I'm sure he would like to be traded before next week's trading deadline.

Moving forward, as in the immediate future, I just want to see Ryan Mallett and Jadeveon Clowney play. Preferably against the Titans on the road. This is a somewhat winnable game - probably the lightest opponent left on our schedule as I believe the Jaguars are greatly improving with Blake Bortles - so why not give them some confidence? We can beat the Titans with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Big Whoop!!!! He's not our future.

With nine games left this season when is the right time to start Ryan Mallett?

Now BEFORE the season is 100% dead lock certain gone. This attitude of not until we are officially eliminated is a horrible idea. Great you just told the rest of the team "we have given up, the other 52 of you we really want you to play well for QB X's audition." No, better to put him in "to get us back in gear to save the season."

I don't envision Ryan Fitzpatrick being the Texans starting quarterback in 2015. Is it Ryan Mallett? Is it Tom Savage? Is it some other free agent we may sign or a rookie we may draft in the upcoming off-season? These questions have to be answered moving forward.

With nine games left this season when is the right time to start Ryan Mallett? The team is 3-4 and the season is starting to slip away if they don't get some immediate consistency and quality play from the quarterback position. The offense needs some type of spark in the passing game.

It's frustrating having legitimate talent like Andre Johnson and DeAndre Hopkins on the outside, or the tight ends we have, and we don't consistently use our talent level. I can only imagine Andre Johnson's frustrations, in particular, as I'm sure he would like to be traded before next week's trading deadline.

Moving forward, as in the immediate future, I just want to see Ryan Mallett and Jadeveon Clowney play. Preferably against the Titans on the road. This is a somewhat winnable game - probably the lightest opponent left on our schedule as I believe the Jaguars are greatly improving with Blake Bortles - so why not give them some confidence? We can beat the Titans with Ryan Fitzpatrick. Big Whoop!!!! He's not our future.

frustrated? How about holding on to the da*n ball on drives that could win/tie the game - both those guys had critical game ending fumbles over the past two weeks. How about passing for 8-9 yards on first down and then having our running game not be able to pick up a single yard on multiple efforts for a first down? How about hitting numerous back shoulder throws down the field to Andre Johnson and deep throws to Hopkins and not calling those plays more often? As for Blake Bortles, he just won a game by 18 points with 1 TD and 3 INT's. Must be nice.

frustrated? How about holding on to the da*n ball on drives that could win/tie the game - both those guys had critical game ending fumbles over the past two weeks. How about passing for 8-9 yards on first down and then having our running game not be able to pick up a single yard on multiple efforts for a first down? How about hitting numerous back shoulder throws down the field to Andre Johnson and deep throws to Hopkins and not calling those plays more often? As for Blake Bortles, he just won a game by 18 points with 1 TD and 3 INT's. Must be nice.
Agreed. But I'll take a win no matter how you can get it. But Bortles has a very bright future. He's going to improve every game. What do we have at quarterback? Can we please see Ryan Mallett soon? What about Tom Savage? I'd rather see these guys learning and playing. Taking their lumps as inexperienced quarterbacks so they can improve. Ryan Fitzpatrick has been in the league how many years? He has no room to improve. As far as the turnovers, it's a team mentality right now. It takes a team to fall apart like we have been. Giving up 24 points in one quarter in back-to-back games isn't just one man's fault. You are singling out a few plays. The main focus should be on our franchise quarterback of the future and turning around this weak mentality we have as a team. Having a good quarterback for many years to come is a good start. We've never had one before. We pass on them in drafts like Aaron Rodgers back in 2005.

Two things I want to see happen at Tennessee on Sunday. Ryan Mallett and Jadeveon Clowney both starting. That would be where I would go if I'm in Bill O'Brien's shoes. Starting Ryan Fitzpatrick, I just don't see the value in it anymore. For the short term or long term.

Two things I want to see happen at Tennessee on Sunday. Ryan Mallett and Jadeveon Clowney both starting. That would be where I would go if I'm in Bill O'Brien's shoes. Starting Ryan Fitzpatrick, I just don't see the value in it anymore. For the short term or long term.

Clowney will start and play a lot later in the season, we all know that. But, what we don't know is when Mullet and Doc Savage might get some time in, which we need to see. I think we'll see one of the two, but maybe not both before the end of the season. If not, I'll be disappointed we didn't even try.

Now BEFORE the season is 100% dead lock certain gone. This attitude of not until we are officially eliminated is a horrible idea. Great you just told the rest of the team "we have given up, the other 52 of you we really want you to play well for QB X's audition." No, better to put him in "to get us back in gear to save the season."

I couldn't agree more. This should have happened after the Colts game, but I believe that subject has been beaten to death. You can guarantee Fitz will be starting the Titans game with the short week, but after that we need to see Mallet in there for the Eagles. The week after is a bye so they'll have plenty of time to practice and work out any kinks and have nearly half a season to see what they have in him.

I couldn't agree more. This should have happened after the Colts game, but I believe that subject has been beaten to death. You can guarantee Fitz will be starting the Titans game with the short week, but after that we need to see Mallet in there for the Eagles. The week after is a bye so they'll have plenty of time to practice and work out any kinks and have nearly half a season to see what they have in him.

I'd say throw him into the fire this week and see how he responds. At this point, Fitz isn't getting any better so I see no point in playing him anymore unless Savage or Mallett get injured.

We need to see Mallett.

BoB has to limit the game plan so much (or at least I hope that
is what the problem is) that, even if StinkyPete(tm) is successfully
executing, we cant win games.

Doesn't matter if your QB has a 100+ rating if the way your using
him isn't resulting in points. This is the problem with BoB and the
grizzled prospector.

If "The Texas Hammer" allows BoB to actually install a _winning_ plan
of attack, then by all means - MAKE THE SWITCH NOW.

If we put the backup in, and we see the same Pop Warner style of
offense, then it is on the OC (or whoever..) and not the QB.

I'd rather see Savage before Mallett, imo. I can live with us being a bad team if we're at least trying to improve at the QB position instead of sticking with the awful Fitz for no reason.

I would imagine after the Philly game. We'll probably be either 3-6 at that point or 4-5 with no more excuses.

The bye week gives Mallett two weeks to rep with the 1's and get some chemistry/rhythm going with some guys. I'm quite sure he doesn't have any right now. Remember how off Fitz/Johnson looked in the preseason compared to Fitz/Hopkins. That's because Johnson sat out half of camp while Fitz/Hopkins were working together all offseason. That's the kind of chemistry we're looking at with Mallett coming in but at every position. You need to give him as much time as possible to develop that.

A lot of guys are complaining when we come out every second half and Mallett isn't starting. I'm relieved. That's a panic move and it puts Mallett in a very tough position. Put him in the best possible situation to succeed. Give him the proper time to acclimate and prepare.

I know a lot of people are going to say "well that was this week with the extra rest period" but that's not entirely accurate. It's 2 extra days. A bye week is a whole extra week. Also, it seems pretty obvious that O'Brien isn't quite there yet. When we get to the bye week he knows that will be the last chance to fully prep the kid so I won't be surprised if he makes the switch then.

I'd rather see Savage before Mallett, imo. I can live with us being a bad team if we're at least trying to improve at the QB position instead of sticking with the awful Fitz for no reason.

Just out of curiosity, why would you rather see Savage? Mallett was drafted higher and has been in the system longer. I think there is a higher upside with him.

Not me. Savage is a rookie who could use a red-shirt year. Mallett has been in this system longer and is in the final year of his contract.

I would imagine after the Philly game. We'll probably be either 3-6 at that point or 4-5 with no more excuses.

The bye week gives Mallett two weeks to rep with the 1's and get some chemistry/rhythm going with some guys. I'm quite sure he doesn't have any right now. Remember how off Fitz/Johnson looked in the preseason compared to Fitz/Hopkins. That's because Johnson sat out half of camp while Fitz/Hopkins were working together all offseason. That's the kind of chemistry we're looking at with Mallett coming in but at every position. You need to give him as much time as possible to develop that.

A lot of guys are complaining when we come out every second half and Mallett isn't starting. I'm relieved. That's a panic move and it puts Mallett in a very tough position. Put him in the best possible situation to succeed. Give him the proper time to acclimate and prepare.

I know a lot of people are going to say "well that was this week with the extra rest period" but that's not entirely accurate. It's 2 extra days. A bye week is a whole extra week. Also, it seems pretty obvious that O'Brien isn't quite there yet. When we get to the bye week he knows that will be the last chance to fully prep the kid so I won't be surprised if he makes the switch then.

If I honestly think we're going to be 3-6 or 4-5 going into the bye & I'm not going to be asking Fitzpatrick to be doing a whole lot, I'd make the switch now. If I'm going to go with the same game plan I've been going with... hand off to Foster... then instead of wasting those two games, I'd take the opportunity to get Mallet some experience.

Two games to get him on tape & work out what he sees vs what I see. Then that extra two weeks provided by the bye week will have more substance & I can get on with getting on afterwards, instead of expecting those mistakes he'll inevitably have his first two games.

Now if I thought we could go into the bye week at 5-4, or even 4-5.... I'd wait. But wasting two games with Fitzpatrick is not the message I want to sell to the other 53 guys.

No it's not. Fitzpatrick is a 10 year vet with tons of starting game experience. Mallet has virtually none. So it would be unfair to rag on Mallett at least until he has 7 games to stink it up like Fitz has.

Stop telling us about all of the other mistakes being made. We don't care. We saw the same plays as you did. Fitz is not a good leader. He is not inspiring the guys who play for him. Let the entire team melt down around Mallett if that is what is meant to be. At this point I do not care to hear any more Fitz excuses and want to see Mallett after losing the last 4 of 5 games with Fitz under center.

I'm not going to jump down Mallett's throat if he face plants in his first start. That would be preposterous. But my point remains. If we had played that same exact game last night but Mallett was the QB then the QB wouldn't be target #1 on everyone's hit list. It would be Manning, Sweariner, Cushing, Foster's fumble, Hopkins' fumble, or Newton regressing back to form, etc.

So many of you are determined to hate/blame Fitzpatrick regardless of the evidence presented. I'm calling it right now that when Mallett starts a game and something like this happens nobody is going to blame him for the loss. You're going to talk about the good things he did and how if the rest of the team hadn't screwed it up we could have had something.

We all know Fitz is not the long term answer. That makes some of you hate him, which is really odd, but whatever. You get certain privileges as a fan that nobody can take from you. But seriously please try and maintain some semblance of objectivity. It's the lack of objective viewpoints that drives me crazy. I don't see any crusades for Su'a-Filo to start every time Ben Jones whiffs a block. There's no rally for Mohamed to start every time Cushing gets dusted by an opposing RB. Nobody clamoring for Pleasant to replace Swearinger every time he gets toasted for a TD. But there's something about the QB position that drives Houston fans rabid.

So many of you are determined to hate/blame Fitzpatrick regardless of the evidence presented. I'm calling it right now that when Mallett starts a game and something like this happens nobody is going to blame him for the loss. You're going to talk about the good things he did and how if the rest of the team hadn't screwed it up we could have had something.

Assuming that's true, you find it illogical or hypocritical somehow? It's not because with Mallett there is a chance, however small, he gets better with time.

Everyone expects growing pains with a NEW QB even Luck and Manning when they came out as about the safest picks ever. With Fitz it ain't growing pains, it is well established suck.

I'm not going to jump down Mallett's throat if he face plants in his first start. That would be preposterous. But my point remains. If we had played that same exact game last night but Mallett was the QB then the QB wouldn't be target #1 on everyone's hit list. It would be Manning, Sweariner, Cushing, Foster's fumble, Hopkins' fumble, or Newton regressing back to form, etc.

We all know Fitz is not the long term answer. That makes some of you hate him, which is really odd, but whatever. You get certain privileges as a fan that nobody can take from you. But seriously please try and maintain some semblance of objectivity. It's the lack of objective viewpoints that drives me crazy. I don't see any crusades for Su'a-Filo to start every time Ben Jones whiffs a block. There's no rally for Mohamed to start every time Cushing gets dusted by an opposing RB. Nobody clamoring for Pleasant to replace Swearinger every time he gets toasted for a TD. But there's something about the QB position that drives Houston fans rabid.

It's because of the upside that Mallett and Savage may have. Fitz is on his 10th year making rookie mistakes, that's why people hate on him. He does something good, then all of a sudden, he does something terrible. He's been doing this his whole career.

Assuming that's true, you find it illogical or hypocritical somehow? It's not because with Mallett there is a chance, however small, he gets better with time.

Everyone expects growing pains with a NEW QB even Luck and Manning when they came out as about the safest picks ever. With Fitz it ain't growing pains, it is well established suck.

That's signature worthy

So if a guy has potential then it's fair game to acquit him of stuff that might not be his fault, but if a guy has no potential then feel free to pile on regardless of where else the blame could lie?

I'm just trying to understand this viewpoint. As a younger and less inexperienced player, Mallett is going to be given a longer and more forgiving leash. That's fair and all and that's not my issue.

My issue is when Foster, Johnson, and Hopkins all turn the ball over are we going to be whining about Mallett only putting 16 pts on the board? Why would it be his fault? He can only control what he can control.

Just out of curiosity, why would you rather see Savage? Mallett was drafted higher and has been in the system longer. I think there is a higher upside with him.

It's very possible that Mallett could be that guy you're saying, but I think there must be something wrong with him that we didn't want to pull the trigger on the trade for him sooner and that he seemingly is no threat to Fitzpatrick in O'Brien's eyes other than simply a backup who knows the offense better than a few others.

Savage and Mallett are probably a wash with the edge going to Mallett for experience but his experience isn't exactly impressive. If we still believe we're playing for this year, then go for Mallett I guess. I'm more curious to see what Savage has for the future.

So if a guy has potential then it's fair game to acquit him of stuff that might not be his fault, but if a guy has no potential then feel free to pile on regardless of where else the blame could lie?

I'm just trying to understand this viewpoint. As a younger and less inexperienced player, Mallett is going to be given a longer and more forgiving leash. That's fair and all and that's not my issue.

My issue is when Foster, Johnson, and Hopkins all turn the ball over are we going to be whining about Mallett only putting 16 pts on the board? Why would it be his fault? He can only control what he can control.

The problem is yours. You think others are blind to mistakes outside of QB and we're not. But for example, I realize eg. that Foster hadn't fumbled in over 300 touches (it isn't a consistent problem) and we have nobody that can even be argued is a viable alternate.

Yes there are other problems on the team. Improved QB play is improved QB play AND finding out what we have is absolutely mandatory to next next offseason.

Maybe your confusion comes from thinking the criticism is because of the losses. Nope, I (and others) was saying the same things about Fitz when we were winning.

The problem is yours. You think others are blind to mistakes outside of QB and we're not. But for example, I realize eg. that Foster hadn't fumbled in over 300 touches (it isn't a consistent problem) and we have nobody that can even be argued is a viable alternate.

Yes there are other problems on the team. Improved QB play is improved QB play AND finding out what we have is absolutely mandatory to next next offseason.

Maybe your confusion comes from thinking the criticism is because of the losses. Nope, I (and others) was saying the same things about Fitz when we were winning.

This is actually more my problem. There is no guarantee that the QB play will be improved by benching him? None. Actually, considering how reluctant O'Brien is do so, it tells me that the QB play will probably be even worse.

Now I do acknowledge that we need to find out what Mallett is before the season is over. But it's also pretty clear that O'Brien thinks Fitzpatrick gives this team the best chance to win and he's not throwing in the towel on this season just yet. If we're 3-6 at the bye I think he will, but he's obviously not there yet regardless of how much of the fan base has already given up.

Also, I was right there with you guys criticizing Fitz even when we were winning. His issues are pretty cut and dry. But I'm not going to heap the losses solely on his shoulders just because he's a below average QB. Maybe I am confused. Or maybe I am one of the few who are actually being realistic/objective about what's going on here.

I think you are spot on with how this will likely go down. Against the Titans, Fitz, who has played this year gives us the best probability of a win, and there is no point making a change before the Eagles game. The Texans/OB will want to know what they have with Mallett, and the week after the bye makes the most sense at this point in introducing him as QB#1.

I don't think that Fitz has been particularly bad, but if we split our two games before the bye, or lose both, the team is going to need a jump start with a winnable 3 games in the next 4 after the bye. Like when a goalie in hockey has been left on an island by his defense and not played particularly badly whilst conceding 3/4 goals and gets hooked - the Texans would need that to stand any chance of making a run towards a wildcard spot. There are problems all over the field, and Fitz is probably not the largest single issue, however the QB change is the easiest opportunity to restart a team's season mid way through.

The evaluation of Mallett will likely begin in Cleveland.

This is actually more my problem. There is no guarantee that the QB play will be improved by benching him? None. Actually, considering how reluctant O'Brien is do so, it tells me that the QB play will probably be even worse.

Now I do acknowledge that we need to find out what Mallett is before the season is over. But it's also pretty clear that O'Brien thinks Fitzpatrick gives this team the best chance to win and he's not throwing in the towel on this season just yet. If we're 3-6 at the bye I think he will, but he's obviously not there yet regardless of how much of the fan base has already given up.

I'm in this camp, but then you're going to get hit with: well it's OB's fault because he chose the personnel so yada yada ya...

Mmkay! What about "Fitzy"s accuracy? Missing a wide open AJ in the EZ, for instance?

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 18m18 minutes ago
#Texans' O'Brien said Ryan Mallett has improved every week. Needs to improve accuracy. "Fitzy is our quarterback."

Mmkay! What about "Fitzy"s accuracy? Missing a wide open AJ in the EZ, for instance?

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith · 18m18 minutes ago
#Texans' O'Brien said Ryan Mallett has improved every week. Needs to improve accuracy. "Fitzy is our quarterback."

We're in "Suck for the Duck" mode.

:quack:

Fitz is on his 10th year making rookie mistakes, that's why people hate on him. He does something good, then all of a sudden, he does something terrible. He's been doing this his whole career.
What bothers me is Fitzpatrick's lack of poise. Fumbling at the end of the Colt game. Then when everything's unraveling at the end of the half in Pittsburgh, you need a vet QB to settle everyone down. Instead, he's throwing gasoline on the fire. That's what I would expect from Savage. Time to move on to Mallett. And if he doesn't show promise, you have to give the rookie a shot.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Somebody"

Right now Friz has the playbook knowledge and seems to be able to call audibles. i know Mallett will get his chance this year but when. A team doesn't want to roll over and say ok lets go for a high draft pick this year. There is some serious players on this team and their future depends on getting this QB problem corrected. :pissed:

What bothers me is Fitzpatrick's lack of poise. Fumbling at the end of the Colt game. Then when everything's unraveling at the end of the half in Pittsburgh, you need a vet QB to settle everyone down. Instead, he's throwing gasoline on the fire. That's what I would expect from Savage. Time to move on to Mallett. And if he doesn't show promise, you have to give the rookie a shot.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Somebody"

Had Fitzpatrick thrown a sensless into triple coverage Romo INT I'd agree with you. But on this one, Kiesel made a great play, then had the focus to stay with the ball & catch it. That's one of the flukiest INTs we'll ever see all year.

Granted, I put some of the blame on a QB who consistently gets balls batted, but for the same guy to also catch it after it bounces off another player's shoulder pad... I'm just not going to put that on Fitz, like that's the kind of thing we expect from badFitz.... In fact, he hasn't thrown a badFitz INT all year. He's thrown some that should have been, that one he tried to force into Andre in the endzone against Oakland (I think)... but other than that.. not so much.

The fumble at the end of the Colts game, yeah... badFitz.

His biggest problem this year, is that he's not adding to our chances of winning. He didn't lose the last three games, just didn't do a damn thing to win them either. I feel like our offense is restricted & I blame that on a presumed lack of trust between our HC & his QB.

I don't like Fitzpatrick. It pains me to think about him starting for our team. But I'm seriously considering whether he deserves the criticism he's getting. He didn't pick himself to start for the Texans, he didn't chose himself over Mallet. Alls he's done, is try to be the best QB that he could be & honestly, last couple of weeks... he hasn't been that bad.

He's not Luck.... we all know that. But if we had drafted Andrew Luck this year, would he be playing better than Fitzpatrick? Would we be 3-3? Would we have lost those close games to Dallas & Indy (they still have 3 year veteran Luck).

I'm just thinking out loud now. But rookie Andrew Luck made a lot of mistakes, put his team in a lot of bad situations.... & I don't think their schedule was as "easy" as ours is this year.

Fans wanted this exact same thing with keenum last year citing "he'll give us a spark!" You guys are not getting it. This overall team just isn't good. Doesnt matter who we have back there.

Could not agree more. There will be blood letting post season. Hide-N-Watch.

Back