Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Nick Caserio - New GM

Chiefs lost to the Bengals (who have their number) in the 2021-2022 Conference Championship game. The Texans had the 3rd & 13th overall pick. They damn sure of had a better draft. Yet they didn’t. Go figure, what say ye sir Nick?

They should have, They had a boatload of picks.

BTW, I like the Texans 1st six picksbetter than the Chiefs 1st six picks.

So Nagy can get a job even though he was under Reid, but EB can't huh? If its part of a rebuild and the coach who will be here after the carnage isn't going to be here, why does it matter? I mean Culley and Lovie, for real? Pep and Kelley? So EB can hide players during a rape and be a oc, but not a head coach?
Yes

From an article in the Washington Post by Jason LaCanfora:

"There has been increasing chatter about the Houston Texans making more front-office changes after the season, and multiple executives I’ve spoken with believe GM Nick Caserio is not on nearly as solid footing as he was in the past. Longtime Caserio ally Jack Easterby, a former team chaplain in New England when Caserio was there who rose to become the most influential executive in Houston, was abruptly fired in October. The Texans are the NFL’s lone one-win team and are facing another looming head coaching decision; having Caserio fire Lovie Smith one year after also making David Culley a one-and-done seems untenable to some in the NFL agent and executive communities. Starting entirely from scratch might have better optics.

If the Texans do, in fact, believe another head coaching change is in order, several GMs I’ve talked to said they did not think Caserio would still be there to fire Smith and be a part of the next hiring cycle. Houston’s rebuild has been agonizing, signs of progress have been limited at best, and Houston’s ownership has been erratic since Cal McNair took over after his father’s death in 2018.

“Keep your eye on that one,” said one high-ranking NFL official who has interviewed with the Texans in the past and knows the organization well but who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is precluded from discussing other organizations publicly. “I don’t think Nick gets to fire another coach, especially with Easterby gone. I’m hearing there is more to come there.”

"There has been increasing chatter about the Houston Texans making more front-office changes after the season, and multiple executives I’ve spoken with believe GM Nick Caserio is not on nearly as solid footing as he was in the past. Longtime Caserio ally Jack Easterby, a former team chaplain in New England when Caserio was there who rose to become the most influential executive in Houston, was abruptly fired in October. The Texans are the NFL’s lone one-win team and are facing another looming head coaching decision; having Caserio fire Lovie Smith one year after also making David Culley a one-and-done seems untenable to some in the NFL agent and executive communities. Starting entirely from scratch might have better optics.

If the Texans do, in fact, believe another head coaching change is in order, several GMs I’ve talked to said they did not think Caserio would still be there to fire Smith and be a part of the next hiring cycle. Houston’s rebuild has been agonizing, signs of progress have been limited at best, and Houston’s ownership has been erratic since Cal McNair took over after his father’s death in 2018.

“Keep your eye on that one,” said one high-ranking NFL official who has interviewed with the Texans in the past and knows the organization well but who spoke on the condition of anonymity because he is precluded from discussing other organizations publicly. “I don’t think Nick gets to fire another coach, especially with Easterby gone. I’m hearing there is more to come there.”

Slow news day for LaConfora.

This is was already speculated on when Lovie was hired.

Considering how the Patriots have looked without Brady (and what he did in Tampa), I don't think their success was due to the "Patriot's Way"

In games he's coached the Patriots without Brady over his 23 seasons in New England, Belichick has gone 36-38 (. 486). In comparison, he sports an impressive 219-64 (. 774) mark in games that Brady started. Oct 4, 2022

Lovie Smith - During his entire NFL head coaching career, his three teams combined for a record of 90-97-1 across twelve seasons. :D
I ain't too good @ figuring % but it seems they are within a % point or two of each other.

Explains who the goat was, and it wasn't Belichick.

:coffee:

I base that solely on my opinion of Cal, which isn't a good opinion to say the least.
If you don't think Cal can make a good decision, then you must not like the decisions he's already made with the Casario & Smith hirings?

If you don't think Cal can make a good decision, then you must not like the decisions he's already made with the Casario & Smith hirings?

Caserio is OK, at least as far as I can tell. I was just saying if Cal replaces everyone it'll be a disaster. I'm sure of it. Caserio needs more of a chance to either succeed or fail in his rebuilding attempts. If all that happens is a HC change, maybe that's needed.

Caserio is OK, at least as far as I can tell. I was just saying if Cal replaces everyone it'll be a disaster. I'm sure of it. Caserio needs more of a chance to either succeed or fail in his rebuilding attempts. If all that happens is a HC change, maybe that's needed.
As the article suggests, hiring a 3rd head coach in 3 years is bad optics. Keeping the same GM makes it worse. Even though Casario may not have been the decider in making those decisions, he was the face of the head coaching searches.

I think Casario and Smith are tied at the hip. If this offseason isn't the best time to cut the cords,
make it next year.

I think he had guys in mind when he fired Culley. There were 4 ex-Pats available. McDaniels, Daboll, Flores, and Mayo. He couldn't get any of them. Casario has no juice here. If we're waiting for Nick to pull a rabbit out of his hat, we'll be waiting a very long time. If the idea is to lose again in 2023 (and they will if it's the plan or not), getting a good HC candidate to come work for Cal & Nick won't be any easier.

So, tank with Nick & Lovie for 1 more year. Dump them both after the 2023 season.

That Casario was on the hot seat last year? Do you have a link for that?

Your article doesn’t say Caserio was on the hot seat last year. It says he will be on the hot seat at the end of the season and will not be around to hire a 3rd head coach if Lovie is fired.

This was discussed around these parts when Culley was fired and Lovie hired. It was on sports radio. You can probably go to the different Texans websites like battleredblog or toro times. Just search it there or here.

I know @Texian has said this already. So has @leebigeztx.

The point has been made that Caserio may have hired Culley, but not Lovie.

Certainly these guys are not Nick's biggest fans. But LaCanfora's article is the first to suggest Caserio's job is in possible jeopardy. New, not rehashed.

Sounds like he is one of the posters on this site.

He doesn't "think he gets to fire" and he is "hearing" more. From the usual unnamed executives.

Kinda lacking facts. Name names or shut the ***** up! Speculation under the mantle of anonymity. Lacks credibility.

Guess we (the franchise) deserve the ridicule.

The Texans have not been a well run organization from the very start, so expecting them to do something stupid is a natural response. Expecting them to do something right however, has a much smaller chance of happening given the history of the Texans.

If would be nice if they could finally pull it together and do something right. We shall see.

They should have, They had a boatload of picks.

BTW, I like the Texans 1st six picksbetter than the Chiefs 1st six picks.

we are entitled to our own opinions. Chiefs secondary was trash last season, they drafted 4 CB’s and Safety plus picked up former Texan Justin Reed. It’s how they fit together, transforming secondary weakness into strength. Then layer in Linebackers who can smash and tackle improving run stopping you see the genius. For them it’s about winning it all and upgrading deficiencies other teams exploit. Watch and learn Nick. Even with Stingley, Texans are dead last in pass defense.

Sounds like he is one of the posters on this site.

He doesn't "think he gets to fire" and he is "hearing" more. From the usual unnamed executives.

Kinda lacking facts. Name names or shut the ***** up! Speculation under the mantle of anonymity. Lacks credibility.

Guess we (the franchise) deserve the ridicule.

What would suffice? Cal going to the media and say he's thinking about firing Nick?

A little over the top this morning. Might want to switch to decaf on that 2nd cup of joe.

What would suffice? Cal going to the media and say he's thinking about firing Nick?

A little over the top this morning. Might want to switch to decaf on that 2nd cup of joe.

He only pointed out the obvious.

There is no source. Just ramblings about supposed people that could be thinking something.

No need to be overly defensive. You just weren’t lucky with the article you posted.

As the article suggests, hiring a 3rd head coach in 3 years is bad optics. Keeping the same GM makes it worse. Even though Casario may not have been the decider in making those decisions, he was the face of the head coaching searches.

I think Casario and Smith are tied at the hip. If this offseason isn't the best time to cut the cords,
make it next year.
I certainly subscribe to your, make it next year to avoid the stigma of being a 3-year 3-time loser. From a pocketbook perspective, Cal might also be on board with this. The difficult part with this plan is trying to convince HC and GM that you want to parlay the 2023 draft bounty into a much bigger bounty in 2024, 2025, and 2026. Does this send the dead man walking message? or the bigger bounty is yours if you can turn this thing around? Cal needs to tell Lovie and Nick that this is not personal, this is business. Some teams know how to tank without tanking, but other teams do not. IMO I think there is a BIG haul to be had by trading 1.1 and 2.1. I can easily see adding 3 to 4 future 1st Rd picks.

Last edited:
He only pointed out the obvious.

There is no source. Just ramblings about supposed people that could be thinking something.

No need to be overly defensive. You just weren’t lucky with the article you posted.
Three points brought out in the article.

1) Firing Smith is bad optics for the Texans. Just as firing Culley was.
2) Allowing Caserio to fire his 2nd head coach in 2 years is even worse.
3) The logical conclusion is to make it a clean sweep and fire both and bring in a new organization.

The Texans are the worst team in the NFL. So, it's only natural that people in NFL circles are discussing what changes may occur. When has anyone allowed their names to be used when they are speculating on possible firings? It's just a ridiculous criticism. And if you think it's unlikely Cal moves on from Caserio, take a look at his history:

* Helped push out Rick Smith as GM
* Fired Brian Gaine as GM less than 18 months after hire
* Fired Bill O'Brien months after giving him the GM title
* Has been involved in the firings of both O'Brien and Culley as team president

When things go wrong, Cal fires somebody. The question has to be, is Cal okay with how the things are going? Can he go to sponsors and ticket and suite holders with the status quo? Is that something that sounds like what Cal would do?

You don't have to be an NFL insider to realize that everything is on the table for the Houston Texans after the season.

I also get the feeling that EB isn't the type to want to come here and take orders...I think that's part of the reason he hasn't gotten a gig yet....He's a guy that i think wants full control & no team has been willing to give him that.......yet.
I've read that EB has terrible interviews. The problem is no specifics are given. Just "terrible interviews". I also think coaching with Andy is a hindrance. I'm not sure people know how much control EB actually has.

If Cal gets rid of Caserio and tries to replace both the GM and HC before the 2023 draft, we'll be screwed. I'm absolutely certain of that.

We will, though, have something new to talk about. Which is always nice around these parts.
Screwed already, haven't you noticed that. :brando:

I certainly subscribe to your, make it next year to avoid the stigma of being a 3-year 3-time loser. From a pocketbook perspective, Cal might also be on board with this. The difficult part with this plan is trying to convince HC and GM that you want to parlay the 2023 draft bounty into a much bigger bounty in 2024, 2025, and 2026. Does this send the dead man walking message? or the bigger bounty is yours if you can turn this thing around? Cal needs to tell Lovie and Nick that this is not personal, this is business. Some teams know how to tank without tanking, but other teams do not. IMO I think there is a BIG haul to be had by trading 1.1 and 2.1. I can easily see adding 3 to 4 future 1st Rd picks.
It's easier to lure in a HC and GM at this time since the Texans will have plenty of draft picks in the next two years.

They will have some ammo to turn over the roster the way they see fit.

And more cap space, too.

Three points brought out in the article.

1) Firing Smith is bad optics for the Texans. Just as firing Culley was.
2) Allowing Caserio to fire his 2nd head coach in 2 years is even worse.
3) The logical conclusion is to make it a clean sweep and fire both and bring in a new organization.

The Texans are the worst team in the NFL. So, it's only natural that people in NFL circles are discussing what changes may occur. When has anyone allowed their names to be used when they are speculating on possible firings? It's just a ridiculous criticism. And if you think it's unlikely Cal moves on from Caserio, take a look at his history:

* Helped push out Rick Smith as GM
* Fired Brian Gaine as GM less than 18 months after hire
* Fired Bill O'Brien months after giving him the GM title
* Has been involved in the firings of both O'Brien and Culley as team president

When things go wrong, Cal fires somebody. The question has to be, is Cal okay with how the things are going? Can he go to sponsors and ticket and suite holders with the status quo? Is that something that sounds like what Cal would do?

You don't have to be an NFL insider to realize that everything is on the table for the Houston Texans after the season.

Seems more like Caserio firing “BUMBLING LOW FOREHEAD GAMEBOY” (I guess IT Auto-Correct is working after all) 2nd HC hire would make C#L (Had to disguise to avoid Auto-Correct) look like meddling fool.

If I was Caserio and “BUMBLING LOW FOREHEAD GAMEBOY” (Sorry I typed C#L) expected me to take the fall for his bad hires…..I’d walk before anyone could throw me under the bus and leave C#L to explain my sudden departure. Then I’d spell out to the press as to why I left the organization. Maybe that would force the McNair’s to sell the franchise, since filling their GM seat with anyone respectable would be no longer be an option.

we are entitled to our own opinions. Chiefs secondary was trash last season, they drafted 4 CB’s and Safety plus picked up former Texan Justin Reed. It’s how they fit together, transforming secondary weakness into strength. Then layer in Linebackers who can smash and tackle improving run stopping you see the genius. For them it’s about winning it all and upgrading deficiencies other teams exploit. Watch and learn Nick. Even with Stingley, Texans are dead last in pass defense.
Coaching?

The Chiefs secondary didn't look good against Burrow. They look the same as they always have.

If Caserio can fix the front 7 then the backend of the defense will look much better. Can he fix the front 7 and add a WR/C/OG? Doubtful, but maybe if Caserio doesn't go QB in the 1st.

Last edited:
The Chiefs secondary didn't look good against Burrow. They look the same as they always havf

If Caserio can fix the front 7 then the backend of the defense will look much better. Can he fix the front 7 and add a WR/C/OG? Doubtful, but maybe if Caserio doesn't go QB in the 1st.
Be prepared to be disappointed because he will more and likely draft a Quarterback in round 1. This group we have right now is freaking atrocious

Lets don't forget that KC was in rebuild mode for a good 14 years between '98 and 2012, those years being crap years with few exceptions. It wasn't until they drafted Mahomes that things really changed for them. But their rebuild didn't happen over night!
Everyone said when OB was fired and losing Watson that this rebuild was going to take 4/5 years or more.
So now all of the sudden people want results now, what's changed? It's not going to happen, the process has to play out. We're just 1.5 years into our rebuild...How long did it take in Cincinnati? Dallas? Buffalo, KC...a bunch of teams coming around after long droughts.
Just think, we could be the Lions!

Be prepared to be disappointed because he will more and likely draft a Quarterback in round 1. This group we have right now is freaking atrocious

I fully expect the McNair's to draft a QB at 1-1. They go for the marketing angle over substance. It's what they've done since the inception of the team and nothing has or will change until the team is sold. This will be my last yr as a season ticket holder because I've seen this circus play out over and over again over the last 20 yrs as a season ticket holder. I'm going to have to eat the PSL' money. But I'm not going out to NRG anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

The Chiefs secondary didn't look good against Burrow. They look the same as they always havf

With this scenario, not drafting QB, I'd go defense first round, draft the top rated OG, Terrence, with our second round selection. Then go defense with 3/96 and then draft OC with the Cleveland third.

It's easier to lure in a HC and GM at this time since the Texans will have plenty of draft picks in the next two years.

They will have some ammo to turn over the roster the way they see fit.

And more cap space, too.
I concur. I'm on record saying that the Texans having 3 of the first 32 picks in the 2023 draft is the strongest incentive and ammunition the Texans have ever had to bring in a top-notch, successful, proven HC or GM. The fly in the soup for me is I'm not sold on there being a franchise QB in this draft. IMO the generational playmaking franchise QB is Caleb Williams who is not available until 2024. And there is no Caleb there is Drake Maye. That's why I am an advocate of maintaining the status quo for 2023, Lovie, Pep, Caserio, and parlaying and trading much of the massive 2023 draft capital into 2024, 2025 and 2026 draft capital for a new HC and GM in 2024.

I fully expect the McNair's to draft a QB at 1-1. They go for the marketing angle over substance. It's what they've done since the inception of the team and nothing has or will change until the team is sold. This will be my last yr as a season ticket holder because I've seen this circus play out over and over again over the last 20 yrs as a season ticket holder. I'm going to have to eat the PSL' money. But I'm not going out to NRG anyways, so it really doesn't matter.

I started uh heard a rumor that the team was up for sale. It should gain traction if certain pundits get wind of it. :rolleyes:
(not really)

Your article doesn’t say Caserio was on the hot seat last year. It says he will be on the hot seat at the end of the season and will not be around to hire a 3rd head coach if Lovie is fired.

This was discussed around these parts when Culley was fired and Lovie hired. It was on sports radio. You can probably go to the different Texans websites like battleredblog or toro times. Just search it there or here.

The point has been made that Caserio may have hired Culley, but not Lovie.
I never said Caserio was on the hot seat. I think he should be considering he's had 2 head coaches and a 3rd would be against the norm. I mean, the Dolphins had a fire sale after they hired their coach. They won 5 games, then went 5-11,10-6,9-8 and fired Flores. They did that after trading away their best players in Tunsil and Mikah along with a host of other players they let go. They hired McDaniels, kept Tua whom everyone didn't want in a possible Watson trade and now they're in the hunt. We also know Ross is as bad of an owner as Cal, so lets get that excuse out of the way. I can see them giving him another head coach hire after Lovie after next year. It doesn't matter what I think because I'm not the owner, but they should clean house like 49ers did before they hired Shanny.

I've read that EB has terrible interviews. The problem is no specifics are given. Just "terrible interviews". I also think coaching with Andy is a hindrance. I'm not sure people know how much control EB actually has.
Except when it came to Nagy. There is this thing that goes around that there always exceptions when it comes to hiring. Remember Sherman Lewis of the Packers? Yeah, he was the oc under Holmgren during those years and everyone under him got a shot at head coaching except him. That includes Andy Reid, John Gruden, Marriucci, Sherman, Joe Philbin, and a host of other guys. The notion was always, well Holmgren calls the plays, but it didn't matter when it came to other staffers. That's not to say whether Sherman Lewis would've been a successful head coach or not, but we never found out. We found out the qb coach under him, Andy Reid is a hall of famer. Same was said about Bruce Arians also.

Back