Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Nick Caserio - New GM

Alienating the best QB in team history, and a Top 5 player (before Rub-n-Tug Gate)
Hiring Culley
Hiring Pep
Hiring Lovie
Taking Stingley instead of Sauce
Drafting a freakin' guard in the Top 15

Not sure what he is hanging his hat on.

This isn't the MLB. If an NFL team is still in full rebuild mode in year three, the team is a dumpster fire.

Alienating the best QB in team history, and a Top 5 player

Stopped reading after that.

That’s on Cal. Not Caserio. Watson wouldn’t work with Texans after Caserio was hired.

Stuff was coming out about Watson being sued for and sexual assault “allegations”prior to Caserio as well. Watson knew it was happening and played it to get out of Houston.

So you are way off about Caserio alienating Watson.

Alienating the best QB in team history, and a Top 5 player (before Rub-n-Tug Gate)
Hiring Culley
Hiring Pep
Hiring Lovie

This isn't the MLB. If an NFL team is still in full rebuild mode in year three, the team is a dumpster fire.
Thanks OB!

Hiring Culley
Hiring Pep
Hiring Lovie

Derrick sure didn't look like a top 5 guy today.

Truth is he's never been a top 5 player even though many here will argue and make excuses for him.

Reading the last few pages of this thread, it feels like we should start calling Caserio, Teflon.

Nick "Teflon" Caserio. Give McCown two interviews, blame Easterby. Hire David Culley and blame Cal wanting to appease Watson. Hire Lovie, blame Cal. If a draft pick sucks, it was a Lovie pick. At the end of the day, nothing negative sticks to Caserio.

This is why I believe we need to hire a President of FB operations. Someone that has been there done that, that knows what a championship organization looks like. Someone that can look at the situation and properly asses blame/credit. Hire Jimmy Johnson, Tony Dungy, Ozzie Newsome, Gary Kubiak ANYONE that has a Fing clue as to what a winning organization looks like because Cal surely doesn’t.

When Your Predator screwed the team over what did you expect this rebuild to look like? This was exacerbated by Cal picking Culley/Lovie as HIS HC's.
I expected what you expected, at least four wins and some hints that the rebuild is moving forward a little better.

You, on the other hand, seem ready to accept mediocrity.

I expected what you expected, at least four wins and some hints that the rebuild is moving forward a little better.

You, on the other hand, seem ready to accept mediocrity.

Mediocrity my arse…..it’s a process that you obviously have no clue about or patience for.

You seem to blow off the condition this franchise was left in by OB….or the impact Watson placed on the team for his selfish stupidity.

Caserio has done just fine with his picks in the draft thus far. Cal still wants to be like daddy and have final say on the teams HC’s. The family is 0’er b/c even Kubiak’s run had something severely ducked up with it. Caserio will have to put his foot down on the hiring of the next HC (when Lovie is done) and tell Cal that if he wants to be in charge, then he can be GM to.

Last edited:
Mediocrity my arse…..it’s a process that you obviously have no clue about or patience for.

You seem to blow off the condition this franchise was left in by OB….or the impact Watson placed on the team for his selfish stupidity.

Caserio has done just fine with his picks in the draft thus far. Cal still wants to be like daddy and have final say on the teams HC’s. The family is 0’er b/c Kubiak’s run even had something severely ducked up with it. Caserio will have to put his foot down on the hiring of the next HC (when Lovie is done) and tell Cal that if he wants to be in charge, then he can be GM to.
Look at the scoreboard.

Even you had hope that this season would turn out better.

A process needs to be measured.

If you're satisfied with the current results, more power to you.

Some of us are not.

….we’ve seen it both ways here.

We've seen it "both ways" on one side of the aisle, i.e. the aisle of meddling owners.

What we have not seen is ownership that hires a GM and lets him run it completely. Lets him pick his HC and assistant coaches, lets him hire the talent, and lets him be fully, 100% accountable for the product on the field.

For two decades we've seen owners that make impactful decisions based on metrics perceived through unqualified and uneducated perspectives. As long as the McNairs continue to do it, I doubt this franchise ever gets deep into the playoffs, much less competes for a championship.

Look at the scoreboard.

Even you had hope that this season would turn out better.

A process needs to be measured.

If you're satisfied with the current results, more power to you.

Some of us are not.

Gosh…..I really hope your not under the impression that this team is another GM and coaching staff away from making a lot of noise in 2023.

I’m expecting at minimum, 2 drafts and a solid run on a few top veteran FA’s before this team is making noise in the 2025 season.

Last edited:
Gosh…..I really hope your not under the impression that this team is another GM and coaching staff away from making a lot of noise in 2023.

I’m expecting at minimum, 2 drafts and a solid run on solid veteran FA’s before this team is making noise in the 2025 season.
I was expecting along the line of Steelbtexan.

About 4 wins this year.
About 6-7 wins next year.

Competing for the AFC South and/or competing for a spot in the playoffs in 2024.

Last edited:
This is not on Caserio
It's NOT all
on Caserio, but he's the one with the final say on the roster.

The coaches have their inputs, but only after he and the scouting department gave them a list of players to comment on.

You had already acknowledged this when I posted this link a while ago.

Lovie even joked "Does anyone need me?"

Let's play this out for a minute. Caserio was hired before all the stuff about Watson came out. Let's say Watson was okay with the Caserio hire, had not sexually assaulted women, and honored his contract. Does anyone truly believe this team would be any better off with Watson on the team? OB and Easterbunny destroyed this roster and put it in cap hell. Even if Watson was a Boy Scout how was this team going to improve? I would argue the rebuild would take longer with a Boy Scout Watson on the team if you subtract the draft picks gained for him.

Let's play this out for a minute. Caserio was hired before all the stuff about Watson came out. Let's say Watson was okay with the Caserio hire, had not sexually assaulted women, and honored his contract. Does anyone truly believe this team would be any better off with Watson on the team? OB and Easterbunny destroyed this roster and put it in cap hell. Even if Watson was a Boy Scout how was this team going to improve? I would argue the rebuild would take longer with a Boy Scout Watson on the team if you subtract the draft picks gained for him.

If Watson had remained normal and attached to Houston…..Caserio could’ve taken his 1.5 drafts in an entirely different direction.

I’m over it, may apathy settle in if Cal & Janice don’t clean house.

Cully did his thing, rah rah approach managing 4 wins when Texans should have won nothing.

Lovie, on staff, elevated like OB, into a role that’s passed him by or in OB’s case, never qualified for.

Caserio closed the Deshaun Watson era with future draft capital. Don’t hand him keys to first overall pick, given his two year track record as GM here or tenure in New England.

Let’s fulfill Bob McNairs dream to bring legitimate NFL franchise to Houston.

:logo:

Cully did his thing, rah rah approach managing 4 wins when Texans should have won nothing.

Lovie, on staff, elevated like OB, into a role that’s passed him by or in OB’s case, never qualified for.

Caserio closed the Deshaun Watson era with future draft capital. Don’t hand him keys to first overall pick, given his two year track record as GM here or tenure in New England.

Care to expound on his 2 year track record and tell us what you would have done differently?

Bob McNair's dream was to make as much money possible off of his 700 mil investment. Mission accomplished.

If PERVERT had remained normal and attached to Houston…..Caserio could’ve taken his 1.5 drafts in an entirely different direction.

Hey guys, don’t appreciate someone changing my post. I used Watson….not PERVERT. I’d appreciate if whoever made this change correct it back to its original integrity.

Care to expound on his 2 year track record and tell us what you would have done differently?

Bob McNair's dream was to make as much money possible off of his 700 mil investment. Mission accomplished.

You know better than anyone, however I’m sure many here have also reached the same conclusion. Just my opinion.

You know better than anyone, however I’m sure many here have also reached the same conclusion. Just my opinion.

Other than Sauce over Stingley and if I remember correctly Zion over Green, I'm not sure and that's not a deal breaker for me.

I know you want local people in the GM/HC jobs. Who would you like in these jobs?

The big miss for Caserio from get go was his preferred Head Coach. Don’t give me excuses either. He should have the vision to stamp “his version of the Texans” and instead was wowed with Cully’s interview process. Well he stamped it alright!

So many other candidates with higher ceilings and relevant success than a lifelong position coach, David Culley. Brandon Staley (Chargers) Nick Sirianni (Eagles) Dan Campbell (Lions) Arthur Smith ( Falcons) and Robert Saleh (Jets).

Strike One.

Then with chance to reset in 2022 hires Lovie Smith with these coaches Matt Eberflus (Bears), Brian Daboll (Giants), Mike McDaniel (Dolphins) and Kevin O'Connell (Vikings).

That’s strike Two.

2022 Draft

Two misses in 1st rd. ( or should I say TBD) Trade down that yielded lesser player while moving incentives from trading down to trade up for lesser player. The Petrie/Pierce picks may have bought him another year except he drafted 3 players high with injury red flags (Stingley, Metchie & Harris). Let’s prey they all hit next season is all I gotta say, otherwise with what could have been given those high slots and numerous selections.

Strike Three

Now if that warrants keeping him to select/trade #1 overall and another Top 15 pick then I’ll pass? Definition of insanity doing it all over again and expecting difference results.

I’m expecting at minimum, 2 drafts and a solid run on a few top veteran FA’s before this team is making noise in the 2025 season.
Two drafts would put us into the 2024 season when I think we could start making "noise' the right coaching staff.

Let's play this out for a minute. Caserio was hired before all the stuff about PERVERT came out. Let's say PERVERT was okay with the Caserio hire, had not sexually assaulted women, and honored his contract. Does anyone truly believe this team would be any better off with PERVERT on the team? OB and Easterbunny destroyed this roster and put it in cap hell. Even if PERVERT was a Boy Scout how was this team going to improve? I would argue the rebuild would take longer with a Boy Scout PERVERT on the team if you subtract the draft picks gained for him.

and cap space he’d be taking up…..

Caserio closed the Towel Boy PERVERT era with future draft capital. Don’t hand him keys to first overall pick, given his two year track record as GM here or tenure in New England.

This exactly!

The big miss for Caserio from get go was his preferred Head Coach. Don’t give me excuses either. He should have the vision to stamp “his version of the Texans” and instead was wowed with Cully’s interview process. Well he stamped it alright!

So many other candidates with higher ceilings and relevant success than a lifelong position coach, David Culley. Brandon Staley (Chargers) Nick Sirianni (Eagles) Dan Campbell (Lions) Arthur Smith ( Falcons) and Robert Saleh (Jets).

Strike One.

Then with chance to reset in 2022 hires Lovie Smith with these coaches Matt Eberflus (Bears), Brian Daboll (Giants), Mike McDaniel (Dolphins) and Kevin O'Connell (Vikings).

That’s strike Two.

2022 Draft

Two misses in 1st rd. ( or should I say TBD) Trade down that yielded lesser player while moving incentives from trading down to trade up for lesser player. The Petrie/Pierce picks may have bought him another year except he drafted 3 players high with injury red flags (Stingley, Metchie & Harris). Let’s prey they all hit next season is all I gotta say, otherwise with what could have been given those high slots and numerous selections.

Strike Three

Now if that warrants keeping him to select/trade #1 overall and another Top 15 pick then I’ll pass? Definition of insanity doing it all over again and expecting difference results.

The problem with ALL of your hypotheses here is the DW4 situation…..which LOOMED over the franchise for all of 2021….and touched a little bit into the 2022 year before it got settled. You can say “dont give me any excuses” but its a fact that you cant underplay as no a big deal. It would be smart to assume that all the candidates asked about that situation in their interviews and you also have to believe that with where things were with that in 2021, No serious HC candidate was gonna come here under those circumstances…..which is primarily why Culley got hired…

no GM gets to come in and has carte blanche to hire who he wants without the owners blessing..so at a minimum NC had to have Cal/Janice’s blessing to bring in whomever…which is how Lovie and McCown are even in the convo for the position in 2022.

You guys act like NC could just do what he wants and thats not the case for ANY GM…see Kraft pulling Belichick’s card when Beli wanted to trade Brady a few years before he was actually released…No Kraft told the all-powerful Belichick to trade Jimmy G instead.

Strike One.

That’s strike Two.

2022 Draft

Strike Three

No excuses need to be made.

1-2. The McNair's hire the HC's. From Capers to Lovie this has always and probably will continue to be thecase.

3. The draft is TBD and although I preferred Sauce over Stingley, it's not like Stingley is bad player.

Green is hurt and playing with one arm. Per CnD. He played pretty well before he got hurt.

Metchie- I didn't like the trade up and would've picked Pickens if the pick was going to be a WR. Metchie was very productive and Young's go to guy in the RZ/3rd downs. He's got the potential to be the best Slot in Texans history. A very low bar.

Harris- Although he got a late start, he's impressed me. He's always around the ball and I'm surprised that his instincts are very good, since that was a knock on him coming out of college. His best football is ahead of him. IMHO

Pitre-I didn't like the pick but he's a good player who should get better. He needs to cleanup his tackling technique. I wanted Sam Williams who's tearing it up with the Cowboys.

Pierce- Great pick.

My mock, most of which I said at the time would've looked like this.

1. Neal (Sauce would've been a better pick.)
1. Davis
2. Sam Williams DE Ole Miss
2. Pickens
3. Harris
4. Pierce

So dont think I love Caserio's draft, but I think he did a solid job.

Hopefully Caserio realizes his mistakes and makes strengthening the trenches his main priority this draft. I will make another mock later but during the bowl season check these guys and tell me what you think.

1. Jalen Carter
1. Tyree Wilson
2. Jared Verse
3. Devon Achane
3. Ricky Stromberg
4. Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton
5. Alex Forsyth C Oregon, If I had to trade up for him I would. Would love your thoughts on him.
6. Tank Dell WR- UH.

Build the trenches and add world class speed to the offense. Get a bridge QB and draft a QB in 2024. If I was forced to draft a QB in this draft I would pick Duggan

Always enjoy your feedback and maybe the mods can move this post to the draft section and I look forward to your opinions.

The problem with ALL of your hypotheses here is the DW4 situation…..which LOOMED over the franchise for all of 2021….and touched a little bit into the 2022 year before it got settled. You can say “dont give me any excuses” but its a fact that many candidates asked about that situation in their interviews and you have to believe that with where things were with that in 2021,No serious HC candidate was gonna come here then…..which is primarily why Culley got hired…and no GM gets to cone in and has carte blanche to hire who he wants without the owners blessing..so at a minimum NC had to have Cal/Janice’s blessing to bring in whomever…which is how Lovie and McCown are even in the convo for the position. You guys act like NC could just do what he wants and thats not the case for ANY GM…see Kraft pulling Belichick’s card when Beli wanted to trade Brady a few years before he was actually released…No Kraft told the all-powerful Belichick to trade Jimmy G instead.
He did his job and got adequate compensation. Happy with that result above all others.

1-2. The McNair's hire the HC's. From Capers to Lovie this has always and probably will continue to be thecase.

3. The draft is TBD and although I preferred Sauce over Stingley, it's not like Stingley is bad player.

Green is hurt and playing with one arm. Per CnD. He played pretty well before he got hurt.

Metchie- I didn't like the trade up and would've picked Pickens if the pick was going to be a WR. Metchie was very productive and Young's go to guy in the RZ/3rd downs. He's got the potential to be the best Slot in Texans history. A very low bar.

Harris- Although he got a late start, he's impressed me. He's always around the ball and I'm surprised that his instincts are very good, since that was a knock on him coming out of college. His best football is ahead of him. IMHO

Pitre-I didn't like the pick but he's a good player who should get better. He needs to cleanup his tackling technique. I wanted Sam Williams who's tearing it up with the Cowboys.

Pierce- Great pick.

1. Davis
2. Pickens
3. Harris
4. Pierce

Hopefully Caserio realizes his mistakes and makes strengthening the trenches his main priority this draft. I will make another mock later but during the bowl season check these guys and tell me what you think.

1. Jalen Carter
1. Tyree Wilson
2. Jared Verse
3. Devon Achane
3. Ricky Stromberg
5. Alex Forsyth C Oregon, If I had to trade up for him I would. Would love your thoughts on him.
6. Tank Dell WR- UH.

Build the trenches and add world class speed to the offense. Get a bridge QB and draft a QB in 2024. If I was forced to draft a QB in this draft I would pick Duggan

Always enjoy your feedback and maybe the mods can move this post to the draft section and I look forward to your opinions.
Only if it’s draft discussion minus Caserio. He needs to be held accountable.

Only if it’s draft discussion minus Caserio. He needs to be held accountable.

Accountable for what?

HC hires? not so much

Draft? certainly but the juries still way out on this and although as I said, I would've gone in a different direction, it's not like Caserio did a bad job in the last draft.

Strike One.

That’s strike Two.

2022 Draft

Strike Three

I’m more down on Caserio for firing Culley than hiring him. I was OK with Culley being hired to be Bo Porter as this team was nowhere close to being relevant. Well, maybe not OK, but I could understand it. Then when they were ready to start rising, go get your real coach.

For whatever reason Caserio didn’t stick to that and it turned into a clusterfuck of a HC search in season 2 where he basically forced himself into having to hire Lovie.

Now the question is, how long does he stick with Lovie being Bo Porter? Because let’s face it, this team is still a couple of drafts away from any real turn around, and Lovie damn sure isn’t long term here.

Unless Caserio has a real coach for the future in mind already, I say might as well stick it out with Lovie another year, suck again, which they will, then get your new QB and HC in 2024.

Pierce- Great pick.

1. Davis
2. Pickens
3. Harris
4. Pierce

1. Jalen Carter
1. Tyree Wilson
2. Jared Verse
3. Devon Achane
3. Ricky Stromberg
6. Tank Dell WR- UH.

Cant say anything about the 2022 draft at this point. But 1 thing you can somewhat assume is that if the team had more core/veteran talent on the roster already to go with this draft class, it would probably look alot better. The fact these rookies are all starters and significant contributors to the team & are amongst the most talented players on our roster says alot about where this roster was talent wise.

I’m more down on Caserio for firing Culley than hiring him. I was OK with Culley being hired to be Bo Porter as this team was nowhere close to being relevant. Well, maybe not OK, but I could understand it. Then when they were ready to start rising, go get your real coach.

For whatever reason Caserio didn’t stick to that and it turned into a clusterfuck of a HC search in season 2 where he basically forced himself into having to hire Lovie.

Now the question is, how long does he stick with Lovie being Bo Porter? Because let’s face it, this team is still a couple of drafts away from any real turn around, and Lovie damn sure isn’t long term here.

Unless Caserio has a real coach for the future in mind already, I say might as well stick it out with Lovie another year, suck again, which they will, then get your new QB and HC in 2024.

with more talent on this roster after the 2023 draft and more cap space…….and a young promising qb, the job is much more attractive than it has been for the last 2 years.

is that like argument about not hiring a QB this year and wait another year to build around him?

I believe Cal told Caserio he wanted to hire a minority HC to try to keep Derrick in the fold. Caserio said ok because he knew it was going to take a couple of yrs to rebuild the team even with Derrick at QB.
Why not hire EB? You do also know the Miami head coach is a minority also right?

Back