Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

NFL Random Thought of the Day

Any chance we'll see an all AFC South AFC Championship Game? Watch the Titans upset the Patriots and the Jaguars upset the Steelers. I know it's not likely but they could represent the AFC South well by doing that.

Any chance we'll see an all AFC South AFC Championship Game? Watch the Titans upset the Patriots and the Jaguars upset the Steelers. I know it's not likely but they could represent the AFC South well by doing that.
I'd have mixed emotions about it.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see the "mighty Pats" taken down a peg.

And I've been anti-Steelers since this robbery....
upload_2018-1-8_13-27-57.jpeg
obviously, the refs didn't know what a catch was back then either

so I might catch myself cheering for our AFCS rivals this weekend.
...inspite of myself

I will never cheer for Tennessee. I hope the franchise folds. Wouldn’t be opposed to the earth reclaiming that land either.

Gruden to him coming to the Raiders.

“I never wanted to leave the Raiders,” Gruden said. “I never thought I’d be back, but here I am.”

Gruden said that he returned for four reasons: He loves football, the City of Oakland, the Raiders, and winning.

The city of Oakland?

Gruden to him coming to the Raiders.

The city of Oakland?
Until they move, they're the Oakland Raiders.
Since the ground-breaking for the Vegas stadium was just this past November, I doubt they move until 2019 or even 2020.
LINK

“First off, I wouldn’t use the term ‘lame duck,’” he said. “We’re still the Oakland Raiders, and we are the Raiders, we represent the Raider Nation. As I said earlier, there’s going to be some disappointed fans and angry fans, and it’s going to be up to me to talk to them and let them know why, how and what has happened, and hopefully we can work things out and work together for the future.
“We have two one-year lease options for Oakland right now. I intend, if the fans would like us to stay there, we’d love to be there for that, and possibly talk to them about extending it for maybe ‘19 as well, and try to bring a championship back to Oakland.”

Here’s the problem for Davis. Raiders fans might not like the idea of having the team in Oakland in 2017. Davis offered on Monday to refund Raiders fans who didn’t want to keep their season tickets for next year after the team decided to move.

Roger Goodell said he expects the team to be called the “Oakland Raiders” as long as they’re in Oakland, but the actual timeline for the name is wide open

Until they move, they're the Oakland Raiders.
Since the ground-breaking for the Vegas stadium was just this past November, I doubt they move until 2019 or even 2020.
LINK

“First off, I wouldn’t use the term ‘lame duck,’” he said. “We’re still the Oakland Raiders, and we are the Raiders, we represent the Raider Nation. As I said earlier, there’s going to be some disappointed fans and angry fans, and it’s going to be up to me to talk to them and let them know why, how and what has happened, and hopefully we can work things out and work together for the future.
“We have two one-year lease options for Oakland right now. I intend, if the fans would like us to stay there, we’d love to be there for that, and possibly talk to them about extending it for maybe ‘19 as well, and try to bring a championship back to Oakland.”

Here’s the problem for Davis. Raiders fans might not like the idea of having the team in Oakland in 2017. Davis offered on Monday to refund Raiders fans who didn’t want to keep their season tickets for next year after the team decided to move.

Roger Goodell said he expects the team to be called the “Oakland Raiders” as long as they’re in Oakland, but the actual timeline for the name is wide open
Wonder how that will affect their fan base. I remember what happened in Houston here with the Oilers. If Gruden flops in Oakland, the Raiders are more likely than now to flop in Vegas where people don't tend to want to give up their gambling for a full day and there are a myriad of competing time-occupiers. It will be interesting, to say the least.

I'd just as soon see the Raiders stay in Oakland and some high roller (or group of same) buy the Carolina team and move that team to Vegas (or San Antonio :D)

Edit:
Raider Nation is pretty loyal. The local folks might be miffed but the nation-wide Raider fans (and there are bunches of them) won't really care where the Raiders are located.

NFL owners have made millions off obscure tax break
By Josh Kosman

October 11, 2017 | 10:38pm | Updated

The tax code has been very, very good to sports team owners.

A little-known tweak to IRS rules in 2004 has allowed new owners to write off nearly all of the purchase price of their teams against profits over 15 years.

The tax break has supercharged the increase in values of all professional sports teams, experts said.

For NFL team owners, the tax break has added roughly 5 percent to team values — or about $122 million, based on an average franchise value of $2.44 billion, according to Forbes.

The tax break, and others, and how each NFL owner has benefited from them came into focus this week after President Trump — as part of a long-running battle with the league and its players over kneeling during the national anthem — tweeted a threat about the league’s “massive tax breaks.”

“Change the tax law!” Trump tweeted.

While Trump was referring to tax breaks associated with the construction of NFL stadiums, the much more lucrative tax break is the ability of all sports team buyers to write down the value of the franchise over 15 years.

The tax law, long on the books, was significantly reshaped by President George W. Bush in 2004.

“Without a doubt, this is the tax break they benefit the most from,” tax expert Robert Willens told The Post.

Just how much?

Well, take the case of fracking billionaire Terry Pegula, who in 2014 paid $1.4 billion for the Buffalo Bills.

Pegula is able to deduct $93 million a year — one-fifteenth of the purchase price — against the team’s profits and his income for 15 years.

The Bills, according to Forbes, made $53 million last season. If Pegula earned $40 million in 2016, the Bills’ tax deduction could reduce his tax bill to zero.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Steve Wyche‏Verified account@wyche89 1h1 hour ago

NFL will “look into” whether the Raiders violated the Rooney Rule in the process that ended with Jon Gruden being named head coach, according to a league spokesman

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps66b02891.gif~c200

Sports team owners who take the deduction have to pay it back when they sell the team — but that is likely far down the road, and may even be something children or grandchildren will deal with.

So really more tax deferred.

Been around since 1946. Great reporting, does it only apply to sports teams?

Case Keenum is hardly a flash in the pan
January 12, 2018, 10:32 PM EST

Many see parallels between the emergence of Case Keenum in 2017 and the rise of Kurt Warner in 1999. But there’s an important difference between the two players.

When Warner was meandering through football leagues other than the NFL, gaining experience and preparing for what was to come with the Rams, Keenum was playing in the NFL — and not playing nearly as poorly as some believe.

He had 24 NFL regular-season starts before replacing Sam Bradford in September. Keenum finished the 2015 season with the Rams by winning three of four games, and he started the 2016 season (after the move to L.A.) by winning three of four games, even though the Rams didn’t have much of an offensive line or much of a receiving corps.

Before this season, Keenum had five games with a passer rating in excess of 100. (He has added eight of them in 2017.)

Always an afterthought or second fiddle, Keenum never has gotten the keys to the car. Even in Minnesota, there’s a nagging sense that it’s all temporary, that an asterisk appears next to the name on the back of the jersey.

It likely won’t be that way next year. Wherever he ends up, he’ll likely end up the starter, having the chance to build on what he was doing with the Rams and Jeff Fisher, without a No. 1 overall draft pick who is destined to bounce him to the bench, and what Keenum has been doing in Minnesota with the Vikings and Mike Zimmer/Pat Shurmur.

Think about this for a second — Keenum had a 6-2 stretch with the Rams over eight games that spanned the end of the 2015 season, a move to L.A., and the start of the 2016 season. While the Rams were determined to make a move for a young franchise quarterback, maybe they’d be as good if not better right now if they’d shown faith in Keenum, and if they’d given him a chance to grow, develop, win.

A “short” quarterback at six-one (many of us would love to be that short), Keenum has, as one source put it, an innate sense at seeing the field no matter where he is. Keenum also has the mobility to buy time until a receiver pops wide open, and he has a knack for finding the wide-open receiver, wherever he is.

He has won showdowns this year — in consecutive weeks — against the likes of Kirk Cousins, Jared Goff, Matthew Stafford, and Matt Ryan. The next test comes against a Super Bowl winner in Drew Brees.

Maybe if Keenum beats sure-fire, first-ballot Hall of Famer Drew Brees, people will start to believe. Maybe not. Maybe people will believe only if he’s hoisting a silver trophy in three weeks and two days.

I’m getting bored because I was expecting an underdog Titans team to play a respectable game with a few surprises, but most of what I’ve seen are penalty flags.

All NE RBs look like Kevin Faulk clones
All their WRs are Wes Welker clones

Was talking with a guy at work about this the other day and thinking about it during the game tonight, but it seems New England could put in almost anyone on either side of the ball and be successful. I don't think I could name more than 4 of their 22 starters. Of all the guys who sacked Mariota, I think I had heard of one of the guys previously. I'm just wondering if Patricia and McDaniels leave for head coaching gigs if New England will continue to dominate.

Was talking with a guy at work about this the other day and thinking about it during the game tonight, but it seems New England could put in almost anyone on either side of the ball and be successful. I don't think I could name more than 4 of their 22 starters. Of all the guys who sacked Mariota, I think I had heard of one of the guys previously. I'm just wondering if Patricia and McDaniels leave for head coaching gigs if New England will continue to dominate.

I'm wondering how you would think Patricia and McDaniels are running anything. New England's been sending off new head coaches for a decade+ with not one being any good (McDaniel's already failing spectacularly) ... and somehow nobody has figured that out yet. Some teams even need a 4 year extension to figure that out. Yet somehow the Patriots just keep on being the best team in the NFL without their superstar assistants.

Back that question up to 2001 and ask again.

Bill Belichick, Tom Landry, (we can argue about others) - these men dominated both sides of the ball on their teams.

IIRC with the win today Belichick tied Landry for playoff wins. Mind you Landry did it with 6 QBs (1 HoF), and BB with one HoFer.

(Yes the latter comment was Cowboy/Landry fan).

IIRC with the win today Belichick tied Landry for playoff wins. Mind you Landry did it with 6 QBs (1 HoF), and BB with one HoFer.
Even more impressive: Bill Belichick was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns the last time that franchise had won a playoff game. It was way back on January 1, 1995. An AFC wild card game. The Browns defeated the Patriots, 20-13. Interesting that Vinny Testaverde was the Browns quarterback and Nick Saban was the Browns defensive coordinator during that game.

That's more impressive? Than what?
It's impressive to think that the last time the Cleveland Browns won a playoff game it only took them having the greatest NFL head coach in the history of the game, to go along with the greatest college football head coach in the history of the game as their defensive coordinator.

That hasn't happened in what, 23 years now!

We're sort of used to Bill Belichick and Tom Brady dominating the league since 2001. Maybe impressive wasn't the right word to use but that's all I could think of.

By the way, do you include Belichick's playoff win with the Browns in that all-time list to tie Landry? Or is it just his playoff wins with the Patriots? If it adds the one playoff win with the Browns then technically he did it with two quarterbacks and not just one Hall of Famer.

That's all time so includes Browns (so I should have said 2 QBs).

Total aside, I hate dumbass geek stats like this one following the game:

Since 2001, the Patriots are 37-1 when they have at least five sacks in a game.

Well no sh!t. And league wide it was?

I'm kinda there with BoP. What's more special, the last time someone won multiple Superbowls? Or the last time the Cleveland Browns won a playoff game? One requires godly talent, the other requires an act of God.

Ok, funny. Still going with the SBs.

And an act of God doesn't really inure to the coach's benefit.

The Cowboys would have another Lombardi but for an act of God/mob (not talking about Smith & the Steelers). Think only time the SB MVP was on the losing team. (Actually a co-MVP was on a losing team, also a Cowboy).

Brady chucked it 50+ times last night. I wonder how many of those throws went past 15 yds in the air.

These guys just push the knife in slowly and watch you bleed out...

Brady chucked it 50+ times last night. I wonder how many of those throws went past 15 yds in the air.

These guys just push the knife in slowly and watch you bleed out...
Since his Achilles injury, he has not been able to launch long passes. Although the Pats won handily with the Titans pathetic play on both sides of the ball, I don't believe Brady threw any passes last night beyond 8-10 yds in he air.

Since his Achilles injury, he has not been able to launch long passes. Although the Pats won handily with the Titans pathetic play on both sides of the ball, I don't believe Brady threw any passes last night beyond 8-10 yds in he air.

I remember you posting that info and it got me wondering about it.

Steelers only down 28-14. Amazing 51-yard TD pass, Big Ben to Bryant. Had they gone to the locker room down 28-7 with the Jaguars having all the momentum I'd have been more worried. They still have a chance to make a game of it in the second half.

Steelers still hanging around for now...
Blake Bortles will give up two or three interceptions in the second half. If the game comes down to him winning it he'll implode. Also didn't Fournette limp into the locker room with an injury after having 80+ rushing yards and 2 TDs in the first half?

Back