Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair Will Keep Kubiak....Announcement forthcoming

Tex,

You beat me to it. When TK said he has never been a Kubiak supporter, I literally laughed out loud. As you said, he assumes no one can read.

Whoa, if I said I was never a Kubiak supporter, I mis spoke. I've supported him in as much as he is the Texans head coach. The extension thing bothered me as much as anyone else, but I held my tongue. I felt it shouldn't be a detterrent to McNair doing what needs to be done if we didn't accomplish the goals we set out at the beginning of the season.

No excuses, I've said that from the beginning of the season.

People were talking about firing Kubiak when we were 4-2. I've said that didn't make sense. Even though the defense looked as bad as it did.

Last year, I blamed the players for losing those close games.

This year I've been pointing out our offensive problems since game one. In my mind, if you're going to blame the defense all year long, it's hard to say a move like what we are hearing about doesn't make sense. If you acknowledge there have been problems on both sides of the ball, from game 1, there is only one conclusion that makes sense.

& that's where vie been all season.

People want to make up crap about Kubiak to get him fired. The players quit on him, that's bull.

He makes stupid in game decisions... No more than any other head coach.

I might argue against the stupid stuff, but I don't believe we should have to make things up to support a coaching change.

Bottom line, this team is not as good as it should be. We finished 9-7 last year, just like the Jets, the Ravens, the Steelers. They are playing for play-off position today, we're playing for draft position.

The Jags, in our division, are playing to get into the play-offs today after finishing 7-9 last year.

Bottom line, this team is not as good as it should be. We finished 9-7 last year, just like the Jets, the Ravens, the Steelers. They are playing for play-off position today, we're playing for draft position.

The Jags, in our division, are playing to get into the play-offs today after finishing 7-9 last year.

And that pretty much says it all.

Kubiak needs to go, but at this point I'd be very suprised if that happens. There's nothing we can do now except wait for tomorrow and see what the Moo Cow Head Guy tracks in on his shoes from the Pasture Of Losers.

I went out on a limb and said "This team won't get to the next level with Kubiak."

Thunderkyss says he roots for Kubiak to succeed. That's your own words. You said you pulled for him, just as you also said over in the NFL forum that you similarly root for Singletary because you think he can be a good coach too.

I say, in order for you to root for Kubiak...you have to believe that he has it in him to get it done. I don't have to root for Kubiak because I know that he INHERENTLY will not get it done.

All I have to do is sit back and laugh at the mess he's created. Did a good job of stopping the bleeding caused by Capers era, but can't get past being a good o-coord. That's his role, not head coaching.

I think too many people vote with their heart. The heart is fickle. It can betray the other senses.

TK, you stuck with the guy too long. Was your own choice to do so. I bailed on David Carr in his last season here, so that doesn't mean I can claim I didn't support him. You stick with people, as a fan, because you want them to succeed and you think they can and you want to be proven correct.

You're a year late to the party, I'm afraid.

Rest of your post aside, I disagree about having to believe in the guy to root for him to succeed.

I didn't believe in Capers at all but I still rooted for him to succeed.

Rest of your post aside, I disagree about having to believe in the guy to root for him to succeed.

Once you become aware that the guy is garbage, you have zero obligation to root for the guy.

You only end up wondering why he didn't succeed. And you often end up finding excuses as to why he didn't succeed.

It's a trap.

This isn't as if you're "rooting for the guy" is going to push him over the top and make him a winner. He proves it, or doesn't prove it, by virtue of what he does as a professional.

I think that's where people get it wrong. They think they are obligated to root for the guy until he either wins or gets fired. If he isn't getting it done, he's preventing you from enjoying the desired outcome (which is WINNING).

For me, I'd rather see him burn and crash so that we can move on...especially since our owner has proven himself to be loyal to a fault. Our owner needs that sort of assistance. I think Bob has a soft heart, and that's bad in this business.

kubiak just said 'thats not true, im meeting bob tomorrow' to a q in the presser. couldnt hear whether the question was about him or wade though

i think it was about kubiaks future though based on follow up questions

I'm just praying that Bob is using the rumors of bringing back Kubiak as a bargaining chip to get Cowher at a slightly lower price. And yes, I said "praying" because it is going to require a divine intervention for this to actually come true. Sad face.

Not sure what to believe, I'm definitely not believing the Chron though. I'll just wait until the results.

It will be embarrassing though that if Wade is offered and declines the job and takes the DC job elsewhere...

There they are. They already have the same expression. They are a natural fit to be together!

attachment.php

This isn't as if you're "rooting for the guy" is going to push him over the top and make him a winner. He proves it, or doesn't prove it, by virtue of what he does as a professional.

I think that's where people get it wrong. They think they are obligated to root for the guy until he either wins or gets fired. If he isn't getting it done, he's preventing you from enjoying the desired outcome (which is WINNING).

I think I was pretty outspoken about David Carr. I was not a fan.

However, when it was evident that he would be our QB for the 2006 season, I supported him. I don't think I actually "rooted" for him. But I supported him as the Texans starting QB.

My feelings weren't hurt one bit, when I found out we were going to release him... not even get anything in trade, after extending his contract for 3 years.

So what time will the announcement be made? 8am? 815?

8:00 AM Conference starts
8:05 AM Kubiak will retain job
8:07 AM Kubiak announces his new DC is some guy from Denver
8:10 AM McNair announces a 50% increase in season ticket prices
8:11 AM McNair does and an evil chuckle

McNair has to take into account that the caliber of coaches available for hire may not be available to him next season. I don't think a coach like Bill Cowher will be available for hire next season. So, if McNair is able to pass up this opportunity and keep Kubiak, he must be super confident in his ability. I never thought Kubiak would be the guy, and I always thought we'd end up hiring a big time coach to get us to the promise land. I guess we'll find out tomorrow but I'm not confident that Bob McNair will fire Kubiak and get someone more qualified in.

As bad as our situation is....LMFAO....Peter King said the Browns are going to fire Mangini and bring in.....MARTY MORNHINGWEG.

This just in -

6:43 p.m. CDT AP/UPI

Gary Kubiak has just received accolades for his 2010 season as HC of the Houston Texans. Bob "I'm just in it for the fans" McNair has given Gary the key to the city for a job well done. "The fans insisted on it and who am I to stand in their way." Gary Kubiak, who was hired for an additional 2 years on his contract a year ago, has proven that his team is "on the right track" and has definitely "shown improvement in 2011". Congratulations to Mr. Kubiak for everything he has done for the fans. On a sidenote, reserarch indicated Mr. McNair was actually the real father of Mr. Kubiak.

McNair has to take into account that the caliber of coaches available for hire may not be available to him next season. I don't think a coach like Bill Cowher will be available for hire next season.

I don't think Cowher is going to come to Houston, regardless. But the coaches that are out there, HC & coordinators... Just imagine the coaching staffs you can put together this off-season.

agreed. although im sure GP is never wrong about anything so once he 'realises something', its over

Officially 5 years in under Gary Kubiak.(Numbers just updated) Not to piss anyone off more than they may already be but...

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Houston: 55-89 as a franchise

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record
10-28 vs winning teams
2-3 season openers
1-4 after bye week
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10)

Officially 5 years in under Gary Kubiak.(Numbers just updated) Not to piss anyone off more than they may already be but...

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall (LOSING record)
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record (LOSING RECORD)
10-28 vs winning teams (LOSING RECORD)
2-3 season openers (LOSING RECORD)
1-4 after bye week (LOSING RECORD)
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10) 15-21 = (LOSING RECORD)

Why should Kubiak be back? What has he actually DONE to
convince our fanbase he's "The Man?"

"He's a good guy and we believe in him." - Bob McNair

No, he didnt actually say that but I wouldnt be surprised to hear something like that at the presser.

:kubepalm:

I really think it comes down to fear. People are afraid of losing what they have. For example, they don't want to lose the top 10 offense to take the chance of the next regime possibly failing on both side of the ball. Sometimes you just have to take the chance and hope for the best.

Because they are content with the status quo and too worried about "what if." "What if Gary wins elsewhere?" Great, good luck elsewhere. Him doing well or bad elsewhere has no effect on what the Texans fate with a new coach is. Remember when people said Carr was set behind that big Carolina line....yeah, Mickey was horrible. I have no clue why McNair would make the same mistake.

Too funny! We need a photoshop geek, I mean expert, to work on the Dukes of Houston.

That's already been done. I saw it on the official board. Bob was Boss Hog and Kubiak was Roscoe.

bossmcnair.jpg

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never felt
Been mediorce in with the NFL
Since the day they were joined

Staightnin' the runs
Flatnin the hill
Someday the Jags might get the division
But the Texans never will

Makin' their way
The only way they know how
That's just a little bit more
Than the fans will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the owner will allow.

I'm a good ol' coach
You know my owner loves me
But he don't undestand
Teams keep a knowin my plays and I don't face the FG.

<insert your own YEEEE HAWWWW here>

bossmcnair.jpg

Just'a good ol' boys
Never meanin' no harm.
Beats all you never felt
Been mediorce in with the NFL
Since the day they were joined

Staightnin' the runs
Flatnin the hill
Someday the Jags might get the division
But the Texans never will

Makin' their way
Than the fans will allow.

Makin' their way
Than the owner will allow.

I'm a good ol' coach
You know my owner loves me
But he don't undestand
Teams keep a knowin my plays and I don't face the FG.

<insert your own YEEEE HAWWWW here>

Priceless!!! You do need to add a more noticeable Bronco's logo as well...

I don't think Cowher is going to come to Houston, regardless. But the coaches that are out there, HC & coordinators... Just imagine the coaching staffs you can put together this off-season.

I think Bill Cowher could be the head coach of the Texans if Bob McNair is willing to do the work. The problem is that I let the Texans "sell" me on a lot of things over the past few years like on drafting, free agent signing, coaches, etc. But I just don't think they'll be able to "sell" Kubiak coming back for another year to me and to a lot of other fans of this team. I just don't see the Texans as a serious threat as a Super Bowl champs (this is and should be the ultimate goal of the team every year) under Gary Kubiak. He did good job of putting us on the right path, but its time we get someone who can take us to the next step. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it'll happen but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Bob McNair will realize this and do what's right for this team.

6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Gary Kubiak:
37-43 overall
1 winning season
2 losing seasons
2 .500 seasons
0 playoff appearances
10-20 division record
10-28 vs winning teams
2-3 season openers
1-4 after bye week
5-7 after 13 weeks('07-'10)

Aww man....9-7. Such sweet memories. The Texans were at the pinnacle of average; an actual "high average". Give Smithiak two more years and maybe they can recapture those magical glory days.

Speaking of jokes...

I was laughing my ass off when Kubiak ran a two minute drill at the end of the first half in this meaningless game. He won't do it in a game that counts, but he's nails when playing for fun.

Speaking of jokes...

I was laughing my ass off when Kubiak ran a two minute drill at the end of the first half in this meaningless game. He won't do it in a game that counts, but he's nails when playing for fun.

He made up for it by calling a RB toss/sweep on 3rd and 1.

Nullifies the creative 2-minute drill.

Besides, Schaub has control when it's 2-minute drill. The clock keeper at our home games should always make the clock read 01:58 so our QB can run the offense and score points.

Speaking of jokes...

O/T But I have the book in your sig on my reading list. I have read the first chapter on my Nook and it looks like an excellent read. Especially since I have a military cryptographic background.

O/T But I have the book in your sig on my reading list. I have read the first chapter on my Nook and it looks like an excellent read. Especially since I have a military cryptographic background.

Also O/T. Cryptonomicon is my favorite book of all time...and I read a lot. I can't recommend it enough. I've probably read it ten times.

His kids didn't quit on him today. I don't know what to make of it. I don't understand why they didn't. I was sure they did.

His kids didn't quit on him today. I don't know what to make of it. I don't understand why they didn't. I was sure they did.

They didn't quit becuase they like him. They like pulling him nice big game checks, lolly gagging around in practice, and then playing for a coach who will pat them on the back.

Kubiak is their buddy, not their coach.

We need this guy
PIT_cowher.jpg

Not this guy
kubiak.jpg

They didn't quit becuase they like him. They like pulling him nice big game checks, lolly gagging around in practice, and then playing for a coach who will pat them on the back.

Kubiak is their buddy, not their coach.

We need this guy
PIT_cowher.jpg

Not this guy
kubiak.jpg

Eh. Don't buy the soft practice or the "bud-bud" argument. Schaub and his offensive line played like they wanted to win.

Eh. Don't buy the soft practice or the "bud-bud" argument. Schaub and his offensive line played like they wanted to win.

One game out of 16. Impressive show and certainly speaks to Gary's ability to get his team prepared and fired up. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM MEDIOCRE!!!

Then why didn't they play this way for him all season? I found it highly disturbing that the paper had an article today that the players were treating this like a playoff game and playing for Gary. Really? After 5 wins you decide to dedicate yourself to playing for him and treating it like the playoffs? Winning programs do that EVERY game. Go listen to the Alonzo Highsmith podcast I posted. Highly suspicious of players rooting for a coach. They are comfortable and have no consequences. It is a joke. So the other games they didn't play like they wanted to win for him...only 6 times. Not many over 5 years either.

What scares me is that I think it is really easy for Gary to walk into McNair's office and just go "aww shucks, we were so close and the kids played hard" and McNair says "SOLD!"

One game out of 16. Impressive show and certainly speaks to Gary's ability to get his team prepared and fired up. GOOOOOOOOOO TEAM MEDIOCRE!!!

Say what you will but this is not limited to one game. An entire season of coming down to the wire. Watching the Tennessee game then the Denver meltdown all but assured me that his team quit on him but today didn't show that at all. His players are not stupid. 5-11 6-10 makes no difference.

FYI, I also think Kubiak is mediocre.

Then why didn't they play this way for him all season? I found it highly disturbing that the paper had an article today that the players were treating this like a playoff game and playing for Gary. Really? After 5 wins you decide to dedicate yourself to playing for him and treating it like the playoffs? Winning programs do that EVERY game. Go listen to the Alonzo Highsmith podcast I posted. Highly suspicious of players rooting for a coach. They are comfortable and have no consequences. It is a joke. So the other games they didn't play like they wanted to win for him...only 6 times. Not many over 5 years either.

What scares me is that I think it is really easy for Gary to walk into McNair's office and just go "aww shucks, we were so close and the kids played hard" and McNair says "SOLD!"

Ok. I "listened" to Alonzo's podcast. It didn't help me much so... "uber fans unite!"

Ok. I "listened" to Alonzo's podcast. It didn't help me much so... "uber fans unite!"

Not really sure what you are getting at? I just thought he made some great points about what makes a good coach and organiation. Almost everything mentioned is missing here...fear of job, not accepting losing(like in Tampa), accountability to teammates and others.

Not really sure what you are getting at? I just thought he made some great points about what makes a good coach and organiation. Almost everything mentioned is missing here...fear of job, not accepting losing(like in Tampa), accountability to teammates and others.

My bad. I'm Deaf. It's actually why I repped you for transcribing one of those things the other day.

I made it a point to watch Kubiak essentially throughout the game. Most of the time, with the O on the field, he was on the sideline around 25 yds down the line from the LOS. With the D on the field he was so far away from play action that he would have needed binoculars to see anything that was going on...........that is, IF he didn't have his nose buried in "The Menu" he was holding during the time most plays were actively developing. How does he know how to react and make decisions from play to play? A little birdie gives HIM instructions?

What bowled me over completely was when I noticed something that I had never noticed before............. that he wasn't holding the typical single sheet sheet menu I'm used to seing in the hands of other coaches........he was holding a BIFOLD menu...........FOUR full pages of play calls........FOUR full pages. If HE has the need to constantly (and I mean constantly) refer to the menu (hasn't near memorized it yet), how the H*ll does he expect his players to remember all that their supposed to do, or remember all plays he calls. :kubepalm:

Back