Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

McNair Will Keep Kubiak....Announcement forthcoming

Dick Justice's latest take:

What will upset me even more is the Monday presser, with McNair spinning that the Texans are "on the right track". I would rather him just keep these clowns, and say nothing. Because there's no excuse for what he's doing.

ESPN's AFC South blog, The "Aw Shucks" Texans:

Count the owner, Bob McNair, as the leader of the "Aw Shucks" legion.

I gave him the title to that article!!!!!

I will say this: I hate being on the same side as Dick Justice. It just feels dirty...

But I guess it is slightly better than being on the same side as this guy: :koolaid:

I didn't make my comment to start a "Who's Seen More Houston Fans" thread. I'm just relaying what I have seen. If you've seen other Houston fans around, thumbs up to ya.

Are they fans or people with the hats on? I see plenty of people in Korea with Astros hts on. You know why? They like the logo.

Since I'm in the military, I travel alot and go to games. I have no problem seeing Astro fans at other games or see other people rocking Astro gear and lol, no...I'm not talking about Koreans.

Just stating that there are Astro fans around the Country and even Rockets fans...you see them all the time when you watch a game. The Houston Astros are actually well supported outside of this city....especially in SA and Austin.

Texans on the other hand....nope, most people can't even name more than 3 or 4 players on our team. Others laugh and throw us in the same category as the Lions.

Since I'm in the military, I travel alot and go to games. I have no problem seeing Astro fans at other games or see other people rocking Astro gear and lol, no...I'm not talking about Koreans.

Just stating that there are Astro fans around the Country and even Rockets fans...you see them all the time when you watch a game. The Houston Astros are actually well supported outside of this city....especially in SA and Austin.

Texans on the other hand....nope, most people can't even name more than 3 or 4 players on our team. Others laugh and throw us in the same category as the Lions.

Know how sad it is to know that anytime we play one of these "established" teams, they write us off like "oh, we'll beat the TEXANS, dude, come on!"

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/7360542.html

McLame is now reporting that its a done deal and will be announced at season's end.

Was just posted on the Chron website. Here's a few excerpts

Quote:

Unless something like a blowout loss to Jacksonville in Sunday’s game at Reliant Stadium causes him to have an 11th-hour change of heart, McNair will bring back Kubiak for his sixth season, two people familiar with the situation said on Thursday.

McNair has declined to comment on Kubiak’s job situation since Dec. 15, but three people close to the owner said he’s angry, disappointed and frustrated with the Texans’ 5-10 record that includes eight losses in nine games.

They say, however, that McNair believes the offense is in good hands with Kubiak overseeing it but that he wants to improve the defense dramatically.

After all the crap from the inception of this franchise, I have a lot to say about this. Most of it I’ve said a few times before, but I feel that I now must say it again.

First: I have always had the feeling that if you want to know what it is that McNair thinks about any situation, just ask a Sunshine Club member and you will a good look at what is going on in McNair’s mind. All the Sunshiners have been nearly having anxiety attacks for fear that Kubiak and staff will get the firing they deserve. They have gone to great lengths to present reasons why it is not Kubiak’s fault. Most of these excuses would never fly if it were any other coach at any other time, But Kubiak is just a gosh darn nice guy who is a hometown boy, and, gee whiz, he deserves just one more chance, and one more chance, and one more chance to eternity. The fact is, there is no set of circumstances that would merit Kubiak’s dismissal at all.

Now that it looks like he’s staying, they, including McNair, are so relieved and thrilled they are about to wet themselves with excitement. They just know that next year, the Texans will make the play-offs and all the doubters will see. “If we can just get a decent Defensive coordinator we are headed to the play-offs.” They are willing to have any set of circumstances occur to keep him. I have even heard some suggest that the Kubiak’s hand -picked Gm take away his hiring and firing privileges. As long as he stays is doesn’t matter that he would essentially be an impotent figure- head. Whoo!!! That was a close one.

Most of the rest of us wonder what magical hold Kubiak has over these people (and by these people I am including McNair and his group ). It doesn’t matter that the Texans have had the worst season they have had since Capers left…at least it wasn’t 2-14. We, who think it is time to hit reset want to be a consistent winner and we don’t believe Kubiak, and crew, have what it takes. We have seen enough evidence for 5 years and I think most believe what they see. The man is not a winner. He is “Mr. Mediocrity”.

But McNair and company can’t see this. They believe the Texans are “on the right track” and building the franchise “the right way” with the right people in place. And all that is really needed is a few tweaks here and there.
Now some may ask how I am so sure McNair thinks this way. It is because his actions have confirmed this way of thinking. Also, as per the posts, it seems to be the thinking of the pro-Kubiak crowd.

Second: I have at several times in the past compared Kubiak’s tenure with that of the Cincinatti Bengals under Marvin Lewis as HC. This once proud Super Bowl contender fell on hard times under a few coaches and was so glad to get back to mediocrity that they have kept Marvin Lewis around for a lot longer than he deserves to be.

I am aware that there are some insignificant differences between the two, but this is not going to be an apples and oranges comparison.

My prediction for the future of the Texans under Kubiak (because it has become clear to me now that he will be here for a long time) is that he will have essentially a .500 record for his tenure here. Oh, now and again this team will win the occasional conference championship or two, but that will just be followed by quick exits from the play-offs and 10 loss seasons the next year. All smoke and mirrors really.

But it will be enough so that the Kubiak lovers, headed by the chief Kubiak lover himself, will point to any success and say, “See I told you so”. But the excitement will be short-lived. It will just go on long enough so there is no death nail in the coaching coffin of Kubiak’s Texans carreer.

Second: I have at several times in the past compared Kubiak’s tenure with that of the Cincinatti Bengals under Marvin Lewis as HC. This once proud Super Bowl contender fell on hard times under a few coaches and was so glad to get back to mediocrity that they have kept Marvin Lewis around for a lot longer than he deserves to be.

I am aware that there are some insignificant differences between the two, but this is not going to be an apples and oranges comparison.

My prediction for the future of the Texans under Kubiak (because it has become clear to me now that he will be here for a long time) is that he will have essentially a .500 record for his tenure here. Oh, now and again this team will win the occasional conference championship or two, but that will just be followed by quick exits from the play-offs and 10 loss seasons the next year. All smoke and mirrors really.

But it will be enough so that the Kubiak lovers, headed by the chief Kubiak lover himself, will point to any success and say, “See I told you so”. But the excitement will be short-lived. It will just go on long enough so there is no death nail in the coaching coffin of Kubiak’s Texans carreer.

Gary Kubiak is no Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis led the Bengals to two years of 10 or more wins and both times they were 1st place finishes in their division. On the other hand, Gary Kubiak's best season was 9 wins and a 2nd place finish in the divison, while garnering no playoff spot.

I think a lot of people here would be pretty satisfied with a few trips to the Superbowl. :specnatz:

*Breaking News*

JB and Thorn are drunk!!! :cowboy1:

Found this video of Bill trying to casually "walk it off" before Midnight comes.

th_1233095777_904ca83.gif

I think a lot of people here would be pretty satisfied with a few trips to the Superbowl. :specnatz:

Two things....I meant division championships. mMy mistake on that one
Next: the comparison is with Marvin Lewis----he has never taken the Bengals to a Super Bowl. They went to those a long time before his tenure.
Also: as to those division championships; even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while.

Gary Kubiak is no Marvin Lewis. Marvin Lewis led the Bengals to two years of 10 or more wins and both times they were 1st place finishes in their division. On the other hand, Gary Kubiak's best season was 9 wins and a 2nd place finish in the divison, while garnering no playoff spot.

If you read the whole post you will see that what I'm predicting about Kubiak is not a good thing. BTW Lewis's record at Cincinatti has not been very good either. He has as many down seasons as he has up seasons. My point was that just like Lewis's wins in Cincinatti, any play-off runs Kubiak will have here will be all smoke an mirrors. Lewis is at best a mediocre head coach as is Kubiak. It will b an "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" situation.
....and you better believe over the next several years as Hc, Kubiak will eventually win a division or two. Blind squirrel/nut.

Also...2..only two 10 or more win seasons over how many years at Cincinatti. Don't act like I'm insulting Marvin Lewis or anything... He is mediocre just like Kubiak....If anything this team has Marvin Lewis syndrome right now...

....and you better believe over the next several years as Hc, Kubiak will eventually win a division or two. Blind squirrel/nut.

Also...2..only two 10 or more win seasons over how many years at Cincinatti. Don't act like I'm insulting Marvin Lewis or anything... He is mediocre just like Kubiak....If anything this team has Marvin Lewis syndrome right now...

We kind of discussed this in another thread the other day. Basically it was stated that Kubiak is an mediocre coach and that we have an 8-8 team here under him. It runs about 8-8 + or - 2 depending on schedule. If they win tomorrow it would put them at 6 wins with a tough schedule. Last year with the cream puff schedule they managed 9 wins. Just an average team that never improves.

What would it take for McNair to relieve Kubiak of his head coaching duties? How will he justify keeping Kubiak next year?

What would it take for McNair to relieve Kubiak of his head coaching duties? How will he justify keeping Kubiak next year?

I look forward to next season when the Texans are 12-2 and clinch the division with two weeks to go and you were all on board from day one.

I look forward to next season when the Texans are 12-2 and clinch the division with two weeks to go and you were all on board from day one.

All I can say is I hope you are right. I will happily eat crow if it means the Texans are in the playoffs next year by actually winning the division. But the fact is history is on my side. I have nothing to prove. Kubiak's horrible preparation and clock management have done that for me.

I can promise you, if this happens, I'm not gonna buy into the excitment. It will all be part of the smoke and mirrors/ Blind squirrel/nut thing. It will fit perfectly into the marvin Lewis Syndrome. Only the truely blind will believe it is a turning point. The following year it will be back to mediocre.
BTW they won't be 12-2....more like squeak by with 10-6 or something like it...Face it, Kubiak is no HC...

I sincerely hope you are correct. But unless they change the HC, I don't think this will happen. But I will have no problem admitting I was wrong.

If that happens, I will have no problem mentioning I was wrong. Next years schedule is going to be just as tough, AFC North, NFC South.

We ain't winning 12 games with Gary Kubiak as head coach.

Last edited:
Next season will be the Texans 11th straight season of missing the playoffs with Gary at the helm.

I really hope you are right. I'd gladly eat my crow if that were to happen, but I was saying the same things this year about Kubiak and we're going into the last game 5-10. And just like last year, people were saying, "I look forward to next season when the Texans are 12-2 and clinch the division with two weeks to go and you were all on board from day one." We'll see.

Next season will be the Texans 11th straight season of missing the playoffs with Gary at the helm.

Gary, if you were King, what would you have done differently, how far back would you have gone?

Yeah...and indeed, why shouldn't they? This team's done nothing to warrant attention.

When I read the above I was reminded of a festival I went to last fall in Pennsylvania--I saw a booth where a lady was hand-painting glasses with NFL team logos. I was wearing a Texans cap and when she saw it she nearly dropped the glass she was working on. "Oh my God!" she said. "I painted a glass for the Houston team like 2 years ago and you're the first fan I've ever seen from them!" She asked me Texans questions like she was asking about a newly-discovered tribe from the jungles of Africa.

So we'll keep running our little small-time operation down here, hiring only the people we personally know or the people who are sons of local legends, muddle around a .400 overall record for another decade or so, and some will just keep being amazed that ESPN, fans outside Greater Houston, or the national sports media don't pay attention to the Texans.

I get it now. If Kubiak stays and SonofaBum comes aboard, I will never ask that question again. This is becoming the ultimate bumpkin operation. You could pay attention to the Texans from afar, but honestly: why would you?

Not stuck with Gary for a sixth season. Maybe hired some one else after Capers.

Instead of Capers, who would you have hired?

When would you have cut ties with Kubiak? After his second 8-8 season? or before?

Instead of Capers, who would you have hired?

When would you have cut ties with Kubiak? After his second 8-8 season? or before?

I'd have cut Kubiak after this season. I understand not firing after last season (though the extension was uncalled for). Even though saying "Bob, the Houston Texans are freaking winners!!" after not making the playoffs and having an average 9-7 season was pretty damn corny, I could still see keeping him. I didn't know the defense was going to get this bad though, and I was hoping Kubiak would do better with his gameplanning, timeout/clock/challenge management, getting this team prepared, etc. Only time I saw that was in the first game, when he kept running it with Arian in the fourth.

I read somewhere, I just cant remember for the life of me, that all this talk of Phillips as DC is being fabricated the Phillips family. So I still hold out hope that the ax will drop on Monday.

I am talking about right now TK. When is it enough? But, you know I should not tell Bob what to do because of the problems going on around the world. Why should I root for my favorite team to get better?

Back