Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak Supporters: Why should he stay?

Just to beat a dead horse:

How about that coaching genius, Mike Tomlin! Well, they won the game and he's won a Superbowl therefore kicking an onside kick up 2 points with 3 minutes left in the game is a good call! After all, you're Pittsburgh and your defense can't be trusted.

By the way... I can only imagine the sh*t that would be said about Kubiak if he'd have done that.

Just to beat a dead horse:

How about that coaching genius, Mike Tomlin! Well, they won the game and he's won a Superbowl therefore kicking an onside kick up 2 points with 3 minutes left in the game is a good call! After all, you're Pittsburgh and your defense can't be trusted.

By the way... I can only imagine the sh*t that would be said about Kubiak if he'd have done that.

Why do you keep going back to this? Its like your saying "look their coach makes stupid mistakes so its okay if our coach does it too". :gun:

Why do you keep going back to this? Its like your saying "look their coach makes stupid mistakes so its okay if our coach does it too". :gun:

Because that's almost my point. That's my fear is that we remove Kubiak, which creates disruption to what I think is a pretty good team that is close to winning. And, we replace him, the staff, and probably the GM with a group of guys that aren't really better decision-makers. They just Efff up differently than Kubiak.

Because that's almost my point. That's my fear is that we remove Kubiak, which creates disruption to what I think is a pretty good team that is close to winning. And, we replace him, the staff, and probably the GM with a group of guys that aren't really better decision-makers. They just Efff up differently than Kubiak.

This is my problem also. I know Kubiak just has not done the job I wanted him to, but he has, without a doubt, greatly improved the talent level on this team. That's why I've been saying if Kubiak gets replaced, it should be with a proven head coach that's been a winner in the past, not another rookie HC. I will always take another year of Kubiak over another rookie head coach.

I'll take a guy who Efffs up occasionally, usually goes to the playoffs, and wins a SuperBowl every three or four years versus a guy who Efffs up constantly and who, with a pretty good team, can't start winning until they have 7 losses.

Generally, 7 losses takes the pressure off because then you can't really make the playoffs even if you aren't mathematically eliminated. I think the Texans are 9-2 the last three years after reaching 7 losses. (14-21 to get to 7 losses.) No playoff pressure, no problem.

I'll take a guy who Efffs up occasionally, usually goes to the playoffs, and wins a SuperBowl every three or four years versus a guy who Efffs up constantly and who, with a pretty good team, can't start winning until they have 7 losses.

Generally, 7 losses takes the pressure off because then you can't really make the playoffs even if you aren't mathematically eliminated. I think the Texans are 9-2 the last three years after reaching 7 losses. (14-21 to get to 7 losses.) No playoff pressure, no problem.

Well, it's pretty clear that the wins on the back end of the schedule have a lot less to do with pressure and more to do with the competition... Our schedule was pretty weak early and we went 5-3... then it got tough and we lost 4 tough games... it's gotten easy again and we've won two. Last season, we had a brutal openning set of games and started out 0-4 before running into easy stretches of the schedule.

Also, I'm not sure why Kubiak is still getting discredited for the W/L results in '06 and '07. He did a heck of a job to get those misfits to win as many as they did.. This is the first disappointing season in terms of underperforming the talent.

Well, it's pretty clear that the wins on the back end of the schedule have a lot less to do with pressure and more to do with the competition... [B]Our schedule was pretty weak early and we went 5-3... then it got tough and we lost 4 tough games... it's gotten easy again and we've won two. Last season, we had a brutal openning set of games and started out 0-4 before running into easy stretches of the schedule.[/B]

Also, I'm not sure why Kubiak is still getting discredited for the W/L results in '06 and '07. He did a heck of a job to get those misfits to win as many as they did.. This is the first disappointing season in terms of underperforming the talent.

Whether or not you want Kubiak replaced is dependent on if you're
comfortable with mediocrity or not. You've just stated the point the
"pink soapers" have been hammering home. We consistently beat the bad teams
on the schedule, and consistently LOSE to the good teams. Only
good teams make the playoffs in the NFL, and only teams who BEAT
good teams get to postseason.

Are you o.k. with more of the same? A talented yet routinely semi-focused
team who consistently beats bad teams and OCCASIONALLY wins against
A good team or two? We've seen four years of this, and frankly, the only
thing that's changed are the excuses.

Now at 29 wins with only 7 vs winning teams

And this is the absolute worst reason to keep a coach. It is like marrying an average girl not because you specifically love her but you think that there may not be a better catch to come along.

The premise of this thread was to list out specific characteristics of Kubiak's performance that says he is an above average coach in the NFL. The most discussed reason in this thread is the fear of not being able to find a coach who is above mediocore. Two essentail problems with this line of thought it is running an organization playing not to lose and not trusting your organization's ability to evaluate performance. Neither is a characteristic that makes me feel comfortable about the long term ability of the organization to put together a consistent winning program.

Any reason to keep Kubiak needs to based on him as a an on-the field coach, leadership ability , talent evaluation etc. not the idea that Kubes does not totally suck so let's keep him around anyway.

:strangle:Kubiak the "good ole boy" should be fired on his division record alone! Their is absolutly no reason to bring him back. He is an stuborn moron! My left nut has more football sence than him. Why is Andre Johnson not on the field in the redzone? Expecially since you have never in four years been able to run the ball inside the 20's. Kubiak your system is flawed! John Elway isn't walking thru that door.

I have never missed a Texans game but I am about to because this team is GARBAGE! Andre Johnson should go play with Payton Manning or Tom Brady! I wouldn't blame him one bit! They will know how to better use your talents! You are being waisted here in Houston. Andre could easily avg. 150 to 200 yds a game and that's unheard of but this guy could do it in his sleep. If they would only get him the friggin ball. Mario Williams? = GARBAGE! (Should have been V.Y.) Hey Bob what ever happen to Pretty Boy Carr? How'd that work out for you? Hey Kub how many washed up 30 y/o RB will you sign?

Every year this time of year I am laughing at Bob Mcnair and his stupid moves. Bob didn't learn with the first coach he hired. DC's & OC's aren't HC's You don't hire 50 rookie Head Coaches and expect playoffs. Hell my left nut should be the next head coach! My left nut can get you a 9-7 record. I was born and raise in Sunnyside TX, and I am ashamed of the TEXANS!

I said fire Kubiak last year, but noooooo! Well look at you now! And Bob Mcnair is so football stupid he will be in this exact same position next year! Because he loves Kubiak, and he's a nice guy, and he has nice David Carr like hair, and straight white teeth, and part of the Duke Boys network, and he's a Houstonian. V.Y. was a Houstionian to and he's progressing very well as a OILER!

If you think Kubiak should be back next year your an ***** and don't know crap about football! Look at how many times this team was unprepaired for the game. 4 friggin years and still no running game! 8-8 don't excite me! That's 50%, and 50% in school was a big fat F. You "Keep Kubiak People" are morons!

NO EXCUSES!
FIRE KUBIAK NOW!
AND GET A REAL HEAD COACH!

Last edited:

Two years ago, we were an untalented team in transition. Why do you insist on treating 2007 as if the team underachieved. 8 wins with that motley crue was pretty darn good.

IMO, this is the first season when are record hasn't met our talent level. I think we could've had a better season last year but we weren't a playoff caliber roster. So, tell me where I'm wrong, or stick to this year's record win complaining about mediocrity from Kubiak.

Finally, I don't think the Texans are doomed to mediocrity next year if Kubiak stays. I just don't see that he is a worse game manager or that his team is less prepared than coaches with a history of winning. I want Kubiak to stay because I believe that is the most likely scenario for the Texans to win in 2010.

:strangle:Kubiak the "good ole boy" should be fired on his division record alone! Their is absolutly no reason to bring him back. He is an stuborn moron! My left nut has more football sence than him. Why is Andre Johnson not on the field in the redzone? Expecially since you have never in four years been able to run the ball inside the 20's. Kubiak your system is flawed! John Elway isn't walking thru that door.

I have never missed a Texans game but i am about to because this Team is GARBAGE! Andre Johnson should go play with Payton Manning or Tom Brady! They will know how you use his talents!

Every year this time of year I am laughing at Bob Mcnair and his stupid moves. Bob didn't learn with the first coach he hired. DC's & OC's aren't HC's You don't hire 50 rookie Head Coaches and expect playoffs. Hell my left nut should be the next head coach! My left nut can get you a 9-7 record. I was born and raise in Sunnyside TX, and I am ashamed of the TEXANS!

I said fire Kubiak last year, but noooooo! Well look at you now! And Bob Mcnair is so football stupid he will be in this exact same position next year!

If you think Kubiak should be back next year your an ***** and don't know crap about football! Look at how many times this team was unprepaired for the game. 4 friggin years and still no running game! 8-8 don't excite me!

NO EXCUSES!
FIRE KUBIAK NOW!

This may be the most ignorant post I have read.

And this is the absolute worst reason to keep a coach. It is like marrying an average girl not because you specifically love her but you think that there may not be a better catch to come along.

The premise of this thread was to list out specific characteristics of Kubiak's performance that says he is an above average coach in the NFL. The most discussed reason in this thread is the fear of not being able to find a coach who is above mediocore. Two essentail problems with this line of thought it is running an organization playing not to lose and not trusting your organization's ability to evaluate performance. Neither is a characteristic that makes me feel comfortable about the long term ability of the organization to put together a consistent winning program.

Any reason to keep Kubiak needs to based on him as a an on-the field coach, leadership ability , talent evaluation etc. not the idea that Kubes does not totally suck so let's keep him around anyway.

Seems like I've done this a lot in this thread:

1. Talent evaluation- He's done a remarkable job, in concert with Rick Smith, in turning one of the worst NFL rosters of the decade into a young and very talented squad. You have to agree with this premise if you are going to complain about underperforming to a .500 record.

2. Leadership ability- The team consistently plays hard for him.

3. He's deep in the process of turning a QB with 3 career starts into an elite QB.

4. Even with some talent deficiencies on offense, this team can move the ball up and down the field... largely because of his scheme and preparation, I believe.

5. Coaching staff- I think we are in a great position with Frank Bush and Kyle Shanahan as coordinators.

I'm not afraid of being less than 8-8 next year. You misunderstand. I think this is a championship quality football team next year with what is in place plus a productive off-season. My fear is that a reorganization of the staff and management of the team will retard that movement.

1. Talent evaluation- He's done a remarkable job, in concert with Rick Smith, in turning one of the worst NFL rosters of the decade into a young and very talented squad. You have to agree with this premise if you are going to complain about underperforming to a .500 record.

3. He's deep in the process of turning a QB with 3 career starts into an elite QB.

4. Even with some talent deficiencies on offense, this team can move the ball up and down the field... largely because of his scheme and preparation, I believe.

5. Coaching staff- I think we are in a great position with Frank Bush and Kyle Shanahan as coordinators.

I'm not afraid of being less than 8-8 next year. You misunderstand. I think this is a championship quality football team next year with what is in place plus a productive off-season. My fear is that a reorganization of the staff and management of the team will retard that movement.

#3, really? We gave up two picks for Schaub and he is our most expensive player against the cap.

Two years ago, we were an untalented team in transition. Why do you insist on treating 2007 as if the team underachieved. 8 wins with that motley crue was pretty darn good.

IMO, this is the first season when are record hasn't met our talent level. I think we could've had a better season last year but we weren't a playoff caliber roster. So, tell me where I'm wrong, or stick to this year's record win complaining about mediocrity from Kubiak.

Finally, I don't think the Texans are doomed to mediocrity next year if Kubiak stays. I just don't see that he is a worse game manager or that his team is less prepared than coaches with a history of winning. I want Kubiak to stay because I believe that is the most likely scenario for the Texans to win in 2010.

Two years ago, the Texans finished 1-5 in the AFC South, and dead last
in the division. Guess what?? They are in the SAME positions IN SPITE of
all the improvements made to the team. It's time to get a new captain
to steer this ship. They just don't have the preparation needed to be
the team we expect them to be. How many more 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 years
do we accept from this regime before making a switch?

The 2007 Texans are a less talented version of the 2009 Texans. They
both are 1-5 in the AFC South. Both could finish 3-1 against the NFC.
Both could beat bad teams out of the division. The AFC South accounts
for 60% of your conference record. 7-17 is not acceptable no matter
how much Battle Red Kool-Aid you pour on it. Why expect this team
to make the playoffs under this regime, when the only thing we're changing
every year are the excuses for why we finish 8-8?

This may be the most ignorant post I have read.

Yeah, he's been a member for a year and a half, but that gem was his first post.

Sounds like he's got a very smart and talented left nut, so he's got that going for him. :rolleyes:

Two years ago, the Texans finished 1-5 in the AFC South, and dead last
in the division. Guess what?? They are in the SAME positions IN SPITE of
all the improvements made to the team. It's time to get a new captain
to steer this ship. They just don't have the preparation needed to be
the team we expect them to be. How many more 8-8, 9-7, 7-9 years
do we accept from this regime before making a switch?

The 2007 Texans are a less talented version of the 2009 Texans. They
both are 1-5 in the AFC South. Both could finish 3-1 against the NFC.
Both could beat bad teams out of the division. The AFC South accounts
for 60% of your conference record. 7-17 is not acceptable no matter
how much Battle Red Kool-Aid you pour on it. Why expect this team
to make the playoffs under this regime, when the only thing we're changing
every year are the excuses for why we finish 8-8?

You may be right. This team this year has underachieved, IMO, and it's possible that some of the reasons for their failure are a result of fatal flaws by Kubiak. I tend to think not though I don't have convincing evidence nor do I have absolute confidence. That being said, I can't imagine any change of coaching where my confidence would be immediately greater than it is now.

Your obviously smoking crack! They are who I thought they were 8-8!

Your obviously smoking crack! They are who I thought they were 8-8!

I can tell by your extensive posting history, you sir are one of our more brilliant and prophetic posters :) Though I disagree with Dale's assessment here, I doubt seriously he's smoking crack, as his history as a poster shows him to be very intelligent on most issues regarding football. Lets not insult the veterans :)

Or even better, let's not insult anyone. Maybe ease into the MB and see who knows football instead of jumping in with a moron colored paintbrush.

And what color is moron? :) And you are correct, the world has enough debate with conflict, we should be able to take whatever stance we please with OUR football team, without fear of being painted with that brush...(still wondering what color that is though) LOL

And what color is moron? :) And you are correct, the world has enough debate with conflict, we should be able to take whatever stance we please with OUR football team, without fear of being painted with that brush...(still wondering what color that is though) LOL

I was imagining kind of a metallic booger green, but what do I know - I don't have a color gene.

Last edited:

So Kubiak did more with less two years ago and less with more two years later? How, exactly, is this an improvement? (No excuses, please.)

No matter how you slice and dice it, .500 football for year four of an unsuccessful head coach is simply mediocre.

You're not doing a good job of putting sprinkles on, man. It's not a brownie and it still smells like dog poo.

We barely beat the worst team in the league yesterday. Yay Texans. :clown: :texflag:

guys don't help the spammer by quoting his message so that we multiple things to move/delete.

So Kubiak did more with less two years ago and less with more two years later? How, exactly, is this an improvement? (No excuses, please.)

No matter how you slice and dice it, .500 football for year four of an unsuccessful head coach is simply mediocre.

You're not doing a good job of putting sprinkles on, man. It's not a brownie and it still smells like dog poo.

We barely beat the worst team in the league yesterday. Yay Texans. :clown: :texflag:

Must spread rep.

I don't get how people can defend Kubiak at this point. We are constantly playing below the level that we should, even against the Rams.

Yall All know how I feel about the Coach. But I am telling you he is trying as hard as he can to throw my feeling toward him in the trash. 197 yards and no TD, Rookie fumbling on the first set of downs, I did not see the whole game but the final score shows me that either The coach made more blunders than what I saw or that the players we have really suck. Can Andre really get almost 200 and not score. How many times did we get to the red zone and blow it. I will not use the pink soap but I did get a little pissed at the final score.

Must spread rep.

I don't get how people can defend Kubiak at this point. We are constantly playing below the level that we should, even against the Rams.

Constantly?

I think Dales point, is that we overplayed the level we should have to get to 8-8 in 2006 & 2007. I think he's got a point. With Sage & David taking way too many snaps as our starting QB. Ron Dayne as our feature back for much of that time.

For 2009, we're talking about underachieving, & we may very well finish 9-7. We underachieved our way to losing close games.

I will agree, that we aren't running the ball well.

But our passing game is just as good as it's ever been. Kubiak said we are top 10 in the red zone this year.

Our defense is playing better than it has in the past 6 years at least. We're forcing stops, getting off the field, even after we turned the ball over.

While I don't agree with Dale on all his points... I do believe, like he does, that our chance of success (& were talking 10-11 wins regardless what our schedule looks like) is better with Kubiak, than without for 2010.

He got the offense moving the ball & scoring points. He got the defense getting stops, and getting off the field. We score more times than not when we are in the red-zone. We get defensive stops (Field Goals) inside the red-zone. I think Andre is leading the league for a second year in a row in receiving yards, inspite of having no run game. We're winning on the road.

I remember a time that if the Texans turned the ball over once, they turned it over several times & give up on a game. We're not leading the league or anything, but we're going into week 16 at -2 in turnovers. We finished 2008 at -10. then 2007 at -13..

4 years is a long time. A lot of teams have been able to whatever in 4 years... We aren't those teams. So what if it takes Kubiak 5 years. All the pink soapers are acting like we haven't had any improvement whatsoever on this team. & that's just plain false.

"When do you draw the line? Will you give him 6 years?"

I don't know, ask me at the end of next year.

I have never missed a Texans game but I am about to because this team is GARBAGE! Andre Johnson should go play with Payton Manning or Tom Brady! I wouldn't blame him one bit! They will know how to better use your talents! You are being waisted here in Houston. Andre could easily avg. 150 to 200 yds a game and that's unheard of but this guy could do it in his sleep. If they would only get him the friggin ball. Mario Williams? = GARBAGE! (Should have been V.Y.) Hey Bob what ever happen to Pretty Boy Carr? How'd that work out for you? Hey Kub how many washed up 30 y/o RB will you sign?

I said fire Kubiak last year, but noooooo! Well look at you now! And Bob Mcnair is so football stupid he will be in this exact same position next year! Because he loves Kubiak, and he's a nice guy, and he has nice David Carr like hair, and straight white teeth, and part of the Duke Boys network, and he's a Houstonian. V.Y. was a Houstionian to and he's progressing very well as a OILER!

If you think Kubiak should be back next year your an ***** and don't know crap about football! Look at how many times this team was unprepaired for the game. 4 friggin years and still no running game! 8-8 don't excite me! That's 50%, and 50% in school was a big fat F. You "Keep Kubiak People" are morons!

NO EXCUSES!
FIRE KUBIAK NOW!
AND GET A REAL HEAD COACH!

Well look on the bright side of things. If Kubes does stay, with his history we'll have Clinton Portis and Jamal Lewis in our backfield next year and they're both going to be tearing up the ZBS! Go Texans!

Well look on the bright side of things. If Kubes does stay, with his history we'll have Clinton Portis and Jamal Lewis in our backfield next year and they're both going to be tearing up the ZBS! Go Texans!

And if Toby Gerhardt fumbles, he'll be benched and Jamal "Good Kid" Lewis
will play the rest of the game on one leg. At least he'll be a helluva blocker!

And if Toby Gerhardt fumbles, he'll be benched and Jamal "Good Kid" Lewis
will play the rest of the game on one leg. At least he'll be a helluva blocker!

Lewis went to jail for setting up a drug deal. At least we don't have to worry about him being in a Texans uniform next year.

instant offense - i find it extremely difficult to believe many coaches could come in and get as much or more from our players without spending so much that it'd strangle other areas. even with kubiak we need 2 interior offensive linemen, a runningback (gerhart?), an upgrade at starting receiver (shipley?), and without kubiak coaching up orlovsky the next couple of years we'd need to sign or draft another quarterback. is another coach going to get a top 5 offense from this group even if everybody's healthy?

improvement - in every area but the one that matters (wins). talent, defense, and staff have improved each season. the defense has taken a huge step in several areas. many are calling for gibbs to call it quits, and we've got matthews ready to take over. bush in his first year has worked well, and lil shanahan is only going to improve.

youth - every team in the nfl talks about building through the draft, and kubiak's done exactly that. it may get him fired, but texans fans should be greatful our baseline mirrors the steelers or patriots of a decade (or more) ago as opposed to throwing money at possibilities like the redskins. if we're going to build exclusively through the draft and young free agents, we WILL be inconsistant. it beats the heck out of putting all of our eggs in sharper and glenn and coleman and payne and wade and (and and and) hoping to win with a very small window of opportunity.

building from the inside out - sure not all has worked as intended but it isnt for a lack of effort. kubiak's drafted spencer, winston, brown, caldwell, mario, okoye, and barwin as first day picks (missing two seconds in the last 3 seasons). we've also gone after hopeful or focused pieces such as studdard, okam, weaver, smith, robinson, cody, and an excess of walk-ons - many currently playing key roles. by conventional wisdom, kubiak's doing it exactly right and will see those fruits in the near future.

potential - similar to the draft, this is an area that could be the end of kubiak's tenure. many, if not most, of our draft picks and signings are based on what they'll do 2 to 5 years down the road. so many of our players, even the perceived busts, still have so much time to boom before they even mature. altering that progression could be detrimental and possibly disastrous when staying the course with coaches who know these guys is more likely to get better results.

developement - not perfect, but if we're going to expect the youngest starting lineup in the nfl to be in the playoffs, we cant ignore how they got to that position. some progress, some regress, some are going through both (as with all teams), but under kubiak we've seen a lot more of the former. mario, demeco, slaton, schaub, daniels, cushing, and pollard have all had probowl calibre seasons under kubiak with schaub being the old man at 28. with our offensive success, brown will also be mentioned before long.

competitiveness - outside of the jets, there hasnt been a game this season that we werent there to win. we didnt go in unprepared or unmotivated (see steelers), and whether up against indy or down against arizona the texans have given what they have. as with every cliche in football, we've been one break away from having secured a playoff spot at this point. we're SO dang close SO dang often - a couple more players can push us over that hill, a new coaching staff could go either direction.

consistancy - bob mcnair's great flaw. we need time to gel. we need to execute. UGH! yeah i think i'm bleeding out of the ears just writing that but it doesnt take away their truths. our offensive line stayed healthy last season and propelled slaton to what should've been a probowl birth, the runaway #1 receiver in the league, and a top 5 offense. that kind of cohesiveness, especially in a growing organization that is on a forward path (unlike capers' aging and declining path), will continue to build upon itsself. studdard and white and caldwell and barwin and pollard and cushing and quinn and jacoby are getting their first real reps this season - their familiarity next season whether as backups or starters will greatly improve our abilities along with kubiak and his staff's ability to adjust with them.

Excellent points, Scooter [must spread rep, yada, yada...]

Unfortunately, they all fall on deaf ears. See, some of the earlier posters were right; this thread should have ended long ago or never been started. The self-proclaim "Soapers" have their minds made up. No logical discussion brought to the board in good faith will sway them.
The man made excellent arguments and the next response was "...to toss a cup of bullshit juice all over your long post".

Real classy...

Y'all don't want discussion.
Y'all just want to vent.

...disappointing.
Go Texans
:texflag:

instant offense - i find it extremely difficult to believe many coaches could come in and get as much or more from our players without spending so much that it'd strangle other areas. even with kubiak we need 2 interior offensive linemen, a runningback (gerhart?), an upgrade at starting receiver (shipley?), and without kubiak coaching up orlovsky the next couple of years we'd need to sign or draft another quarterback. is another coach going to get a top 5 offense from this group even if everybody's healthy?

improvement - in every area but the one that matters (wins). talent, defense, and staff have improved each season. the defense has taken a huge step in several areas. many are calling for gibbs to call it quits, and we've got matthews ready to take over. bush in his first year has worked well, and lil shanahan is only going to improve.

youth - every team in the nfl talks about building through the draft, and kubiak's done exactly that. it may get him fired, but texans fans should be greatful our baseline mirrors the steelers or patriots of a decade (or more) ago as opposed to throwing money at possibilities like the redskins. if we're going to build exclusively through the draft and young free agents, we WILL be inconsistant. it beats the heck out of putting all of our eggs in sharper and glenn and coleman and payne and wade and (and and and) hoping to win with a very small window of opportunity.

building from the inside out - sure not all has worked as intended but it isnt for a lack of effort. kubiak's drafted spencer, winston, brown, caldwell, mario, okoye, and barwin as first day picks (missing two seconds in the last 3 seasons). we've also gone after hopeful or focused pieces such as studdard, okam, weaver, smith, robinson, cody, and an excess of walk-ons - many currently playing key roles. by conventional wisdom, kubiak's doing it exactly right and will see those fruits in the near future.

potential - similar to the draft, this is an area that could be the end of kubiak's tenure. many, if not most, of our draft picks and signings are based on what they'll do 2 to 5 years down the road. so many of our players, even the perceived busts, still have so much time to boom before they even mature. altering that progression could be detrimental and possibly disastrous when staying the course with coaches who know these guys is more likely to get better results.

developement - not perfect, but if we're going to expect the youngest starting lineup in the nfl to be in the playoffs, we cant ignore how they got to that position. some progress, some regress, some are going through both (as with all teams), but under kubiak we've seen a lot more of the former. mario, demeco, slaton, schaub, daniels, cushing, and pollard have all had probowl calibre seasons under kubiak with schaub being the old man at 28. with our offensive success, brown will also be mentioned before long.

competitiveness - outside of the jets, there hasnt been a game this season that we werent there to win. we didnt go in unprepared or unmotivated (see steelers), and whether up against indy or down against arizona the texans have given what they have. as with every cliche in football, we've been one break away from having secured a playoff spot at this point. we're SO dang close SO dang often - a couple more players can push us over that hill, a new coaching staff could go either direction.

consistancy - bob mcnair's great flaw. we need time to gel. we need to execute. UGH! yeah i think i'm bleeding out of the ears just writing that but it doesnt take away their truths. our offensive line stayed healthy last season and propelled slaton to what should've been a probowl birth, the runaway #1 receiver in the league, and a top 5 offense. that kind of cohesiveness, especially in a growing organization that is on a forward path (unlike capers' aging and declining path), will continue to build upon itsself. studdard and white and caldwell and barwin and pollard and cushing and quinn and jacoby are getting their first real reps this season - their familiarity next season whether as backups or starters will greatly improve our abilities along with kubiak and his staff's ability to adjust with them.

Unfortunately, they all fall on deaf ears. See, some of the earlier posters were right; this thread should have ended long ago or never been started. The self-proclaim "Soapers" have their minds made up. No logical discussion brought to the board in good faith will sway them.
The man made excellent arguments and the next response was "...to toss a cup of bullshit juice all over your long post".

Real classy...

Y'all just want to vent.

...disappointing.
Go Texans

Both good posts... both repped.

Real classy...

Y'all just want to vent.

...disappointing.
Go Texans

Oh hell naw.

Are you freaking kidding me? Logic? The people who want Kubiak replaced are talking logic and cold, hard FACTS. Those who want him to stay are talking emotion and hyperbole: "Oh, he'll get better." "Another coach couldn't do what he's done."

And, note that Scooter wrote the following:
"improvement - in every area but the one that matters (wins)."

Are you kidding me? This person writes this long-ass post and say there's been improvement in every area but the one that matters, winning? That is the ONLY thing that matters. If we can't win games, what's the point?

Yes, I tossed a cup of bullshit juice over his post, and I will do it again.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, they all fall on deaf ears. See, some of the earlier posters were right; this thread should have ended long ago or never been started.

As the guy who started the thread, I can't help but take exception here.

This thread was started to further the discussion. I wanted to hear new aspects of the argument because I got sick of reading the same circular argument.

I wanted specific reasons on why the guy deserves to stay around. For the most part, I haven't seen them. There are a few posts that measured up, but not many.

Of course the thread devolved into the same old BS anyway, but they all do.

As the guy who started the thread, I can't help but take exception here.

This thread was started to further the discussion. I wanted to hear new aspects of the argument because I got sick of reading the same circular argument.

I wanted specific reasons on why the guy deserves to stay around. For the most part, I haven't seen them. There are a few posts that measured up, but not many.

Of course the thread devolved into the same old BS anyway, but they all do.

The reason you haven't seen them is because it's extremely difficult to argue against 1-5 in the division, and 7-17 in the division over four years. That is simply disgraceful and unacceptable.

Real classy...

Y'all just want to vent.

...disappointing.
Go Texans

What are you talking about. Most of us here who are on the other side of things have laid out point by point FACTS compared to made up future possibilities and yet they get skipped because people only want to see what they want to see.....something good in the future, despite the 4 years. I can post them again just so we can press "end" and you know they are out there.

1) Kubiak is 1-5 in the division. He has never sniffed having a winning division season.

2) Out of Kubiak's 29 wins, only 7 have been against winning teams.

3) Having players that like you doesn't make you a good coach. In fact most coaches that have been successful have been ones who can get the most out of a team while still maintaining the distance and fear they need to get respect..Lombardi, Knoll, Landry, Parcells, Bilechick, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Players don't need a BFF. This point also works against Kubiak. Players have loved the guy for 4 years yet they can't seem to win games for him and they keep making the same mistakes. How has liking him worked out?

4) Losing is losing. You are what your record is. I don't care if you lose by 7 or 30, it is still a loss. It is amazing that people support Kubes and point to more talent, a better offense and a better defense. Yet with all of that, they are at 6-7 after 13 games for the 3rd year straight. That is coaching. (just like I thought the Rams win was pathetic and uninspiring but in the end it was a "W" and 20 years from now you see "W"s and "Ls")

5)Injuries happen. It is why you drafted Casey and have Driessen. Look at the Colts when they played us:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091201&sportCat=nfl

"With Bob Sanders and Marlin Jackson out for the season, and Dwight Freeney missing the contest with an injury, the Colts' defense started no one drafted higher than the third round. Big plays were made by Colts defensive starters Gary Brackett, Daniel Muir, Melvin Bullitt and Jacob Lacey, all of whom were undrafted free agents. Pierre Garçon, out of Division III Mount Union, caught a touchdown pass. Chad Simpson, undrafted out of Division I-AA Morgan State, scored a touchdown, breaking three tackles when Houston players tried to strip the ball. Robert Mathis, a low draft pick out of Division I-AA Alabama A&M, not only stripped Matt Schaub of the ball to set up the game-icing touchdown, he did so while being held by the Moo Cows' offensive line. I don't know what's in the water in Indiana, but it seems to turn unknowns into football players."

6) People accept mediocre. Their standard of success if deplorable. People hate the Cowboys, yet their standard is playoffs and SB. It is why Wade is on the hot seat. Most NFL teams have that same standard. Even the Jets with a rookie QB and new coach expect success because of their talent. Yet here people think 4 years of looking better and having .500 results is awesome. They act like Kubiak walks on water. Chan Gailey went to the playoffs as a coach. People here need to shoot higher. Bill Maas said he was on the Cheifs when they couldn't get over the hump. He said they were just like the Texans. They then got Marty in he said they learned that there was discipline to things they didn't even know about. That is this situation. Baltimore, Atlanta, Miami all turned it around. Changing coaches doesn't have to equal rebuilding again.

7) As for Scotters arguments...
instant offense - Yes, the offense is improved and the team is still at .500
improvement - Yes, everyone seems to agree that there is improvement yet the team is still at.500
building from the inside out -And where are the sacks?
potential - One of the dirtiest words in sports. Ask any coach.
developement - guys like Amobi and who?Our RBs who have taken a step back.
competitiveness - really?A team that can't win the big ones and still falls short in big games?
consistancy - So losing one week, winning the next and never puitting two good halves together is consistency?

All of the arguments but 1 in #7 above are talking points, not facts. The only one that is substantial and can be proven is the offense being better. The rest are talking points for next year and have been the same for 4 years. That is most of our points....you can add up all his arguments, even if you believe them..and yet they still end at the same road...500. That leads to one person...coach.

With all of this said, I won't comment anymore. I just wanted to show you that these arguments have been out there and they contradict alot of what I'm hearing in the other camp. But to each their own. :)

Last edited:
The Kubiak Supporters are missing ONE HUGE GLARING FLAW in their argument!

This regime has been PERFECTLY CONSISTENT in who they WIN against, AND
who they LOSE to!

Houston Texans 2009 Overall Record: 7-7

Houston Texans record against Teams at .500 or below: 6-1

Houston Texans record against teams with winning records: 1-6

How do you EXPLAIN THIS!!???

What are you talking about. Most of us here who are on the other side of things have laid out point by point FACTS compared to made up future possibilities and yet they get skipped because people only want to see what they want to see.....something good in the future, despite the 4 years. I can post them again just so we can press "end" and yuou know they are out there.

1) Kubiak is 1-5 in the division. He has never sniffed having a winning division season.

2) Out of Kubiak's 29 wins, only 7 have been against winning teams.

3) Having players that like you doesn't make you a good coach. In fact most coaches that have been successful have been ones who can get the most out of a team while still maintaining the distance and fear they need to get respect..Lombardi, Knoll, Landry, Parcells, Bilechick, Jimmy Johnson, etc. Players don't need a BFF. This point also works against Kubiak. Players have loved the guy for 4 years yet they can't seem to win games for him and they keep making the same mistakes. How has liking him worked out?

4) Losing is losing. You are what your record is. I don't care if you lose by 7 or 30, it is still a loss. It is amazing that people support Kubes and point to more talent, a better offense and a better defense. Yet with all of that, they are at 6-7 after 13 games for the 3rd year straight. That is coaching.

5)Injuries happen. It is why you drafted Casey and have Driessen. Look at the Colts when they played us:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/091201&sportCat=nfl

"With Bob Sanders and Marlin Jackson out for the season, and Dwight Freeney missing the contest with an injury, the Colts' defense started no one drafted higher than the third round. Big plays were made by Colts defensive starters Gary Brackett, Daniel Muir, Melvin Bullitt and Jacob Lacey, all of whom were undrafted free agents. Pierre Garçon, out of Division III Mount Union, caught a touchdown pass. Chad Simpson, undrafted out of Division I-AA Morgan State, scored a touchdown, breaking three tackles when Houston players tried to strip the ball. Robert Mathis, a low draft pick out of Division I-AA Alabama A&M, not only stripped Matt Schaub of the ball to set up the game-icing touchdown, he did so while being held by the Moo Cows' offensive line. I don't know what's in the water in Indiana, but it seems to turn unknowns into football players."

6) People accept mediocre. Their standard of success if deplorable. People hate the Cowboys, yet their standard is playoffs and SB. It is why Wade is on the hot seat. Most NFL teams have that same standard. Even the Jets with a rookie QB and new coach expect success because of their talent. Yet here people think 4 years of looking better and having .500 results is awesome. They act like Kubiak walks on water. Chan Gailey went to the playoffs as a coach. People here need to shoot higher. Bill Maas said he was on the Cheifs when they couldn't get over the hump. He said they were just like the Texans. They then got Marty in he said they learned that there was discipline to things they didn't even know about. That is this situation.

Frog, you are very level headed and open minded. Surely you know that there has been good arguments in this thread for Kubiak remaining another season. However, if people are wearing blinders or already have their agenda set, of course they won't reasonably discuss the merits of one's argument.

Instead, what they'll do is :thinking:

:user: Oh yeah, "...to toss a cup of bullshit juice".

I can't argue the divisional losses. That's the most relevant argument for the naysayers. Really disappointing when I expected them to be 3-3 or maybe even squeek out a 4-2 record.

All I can do is look at things open mindedly. For example: what's the biggest thing wrong with this team: For me inconsistency. Then I think about what leads to inconsistency. Primarly things like youth and yes coaching to a degree. Mix in a a bad seed or two (ie Dunta and his pay me Rick stunt.)

I also look at other issues, i.e. Red Zone woes. What's the problem with scoring in the red zone this season? 3 things IMO. A) Our O-line B) no running game (although that kinda goes hand in hand with A) and lastly who is our best Red Zone threat. I would like us to go to AJ more often but really it was Owen Daniels for the first half of this season. He was on pace for 10 TD's. Originally I thought that there wouldn't be too big of a drop off, but I was wrong - see Dreessen's drop last weekend.

I don't care who you are, it's hard to be consistent when nearly 40% of your offensive starters from last year are on the IR.

Not sure why you brought up the Colts defense. They're in the bottom half of the league in total defense. They're defense helps them out sometimes, but that team is all about Peyton and the their offense..

Reactions: JB
Frog, you are very level headed and open minded. Surely you know that there has been good arguments in this thread for Kubiak remaining another season. However, if people are wearing blinders or already have their agenda set, of course they won't reasonably discuss the merits of one's argument.

Instead, what they'll do is :thinking:

:user: Oh yeah, "...to toss a cup of bullshit juice".

I can't argue the divisional losses. That's the most relevant argument for the naysayers. Really disappointing when I expected them to be 3-3 or maybe even squeek out a 4-2 record.

All I can do is look at things open mindedly. For example: what's the biggest thing wrong with this team: For me inconsistency. Then I think about what leads to inconsistency. Primarly things like youth and yes coaching to a degree. Mix in a a bad seed or two (ie Dunta and his pay me Rick stunt.)

I also look at other issues, i.e. Red Zone woes. What's the problem with scoring in the red zone this season? 3 things IMO. A) Our O-line B) no running game (although that kinda goes hand in hand with A) and lastly who is our best Red Zone threat. I would like us to go to AJ more often but really it was Owen Daniels for the first half of this season. He was on pace for 10 TD's. Originally I thought that there wouldn't be too big of a drop off, but I was wrong - see Dreessen's drop last weekend.

I don't care who you are, it's hard to be consistent when nearly 40% of your offensive starters from last year are on the IR.

Not sure why you brought up the Colts defense. They're in the bottom half of the league in total defense. They're defense helps them out sometimes, but that team is all about Peyton and the their offense..

LOL. Why do you keep bringing up the "bullshit juice" thing? You make it seem as if that was my ONLY response. Me saying that does not negate the rest of my argument, which was based on FACTS. Why is that so hard for you to believe?

You say that the team is inconsistent. I agree 100 percent. But, you know what? I'm tired of hearing "We have to be more consistent" from players and coaches. I'm just TIRED of it. That's ALL they say. Don't talk about it, DO IT, for pete's sake.

Also, we didn't have 40 percent of our offensive starters on IR at the start of this season. We could have easily come out strong, but did not.

Did you see the first half of the second Indy game? We KICKED THEIR ASSES, up and down the field. With 40 percent of our offensive starters on IR? Hmm. That tells me we can turn it on when we want to.

I dont' know, maybe it's just me, but I have a simple mantra about these things: Show me the W's.

LOL. Why do you keep bringing up the "bullshit juice" thing? You make it seem as if that was my ONLY response. Me saying that does not negate the rest of my argument, which was based on FACTS. Why is that so hard for you to believe?

You say that the team is inconsistent. I agree 100 percent. But, you know what? I'm tired of hearing "We have to be more consistent" from players and coaches. I'm just TIRED of it. That's ALL they say. Don't talk about it, DO IT, for pete's sake.

Also, we didn't have 40 percent of our offensive starters on IR at the start of this season. We could have easily come out strong, but did not.

I dont' know, maybe it's just me, but I have a simple mantra about these things: Show me the W's.

'Cause I thought it was funny but rude at the same time. It tied in perfectly with the other posters point.

I agree. Next season (because I believe as many do that Kubiak will be back), it's a put up or shut up season.

You're right. Those guys didn't all hit the IR at the same time. However, our record was 5-3 after the game in which OD went down. His first 4 games on IR, the Texans went 0-4 in fairly close games. Just didn't have enough to get over the hump. We may have enough if your pro-bowl tight end was able to contribute. You know the guy that was on pace to have 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards and 10 TD's. You're fairly new here, so I want to let you know that I don't normally look at injuries or referee's calls to make excuses, but in the case with Owen Daniels you're losing a huge amount of production. A huge amount. You witnessed it last week with Dreessen and his drops.

Lastly we can agree. I want the W's also. I want to see more W's than l's on a consistent basis.

Last edited:
'Cause I thought it was funny but rude at the same time. It tied in perfectly with the other posters point.

I agree. Next season (because I believe as many do that Kubiak will be back), it's a put up or shut up season.

You're right. Those guys didn't all hit the IR at the same time. However, our record was 5-3 after the game in which OD went down. His first 4 games the Texans went 0-4 in fairly close games. Just didn't have enough to get over the hump. We may have enough if your pro-bowl tight end was able to contribute. You know the guy that was on pace to have 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards and 10 TD's. You're fairly new here, so I want to let you know that I don't normally look at injuries or referee's calls to make excuses, but in the case with Owen Daniels you're losing a huge amount of production. A huge amount. You witnessed it last week with Dreessen and his drops.

Lastly we can agree. I want the W's also. I want to see more W's than l's on a consistent basis.

Oh, trust me, I agree 100 percent about OD. When he went down, I told several friends of mine that that is going to hurt us. Both friends said that tight ends are a dime a dozen.

No, they are not. A tight end that fits into your scheme and plays well with your qb is not easy to find. You can't just plug in another tight end and expect he and Schaub to connect like he did with OD.

Well, both friends have separately told me point blank that I was right about OD hurting this team. lol.

About next year. Here is what I'm worried about: Pressure. This team had a lot of expectations placed on it this year, and I think they couldn't handle it. I defintely don't think Gary handles pressure well.

Can you imagine the pressure they're going to be under next year if Kubiak returns? And - good gobbly - with Kris Brown as our kicker? Wow.

The point about OD perfectly illustrates what happens when you rely too much on one aspect of your offense. The passing game carries this team, but when it takes a hit (injury) the entire offense suffers tremendously.

My #1 problem with Kubiak regarding the way he has built this team is that we have no running game, and their really hasn't been much of an effort to build one. I am a firm believer in running the football, and I can't see this team making the playoffs or actually winning playoff games until we have some sort of running game. It doesn't have to be fantastic, just something to keep the opposing defense off balance. We have the worst running game in the NFL.

Yall All know how I feel about the Coach. But I am telling you he is trying as hard as he can to throw my feeling toward him in the trash. 197 yards and no TD, Rookie fumbling on the first set of downs, I did not see the whole game but the final score shows me that either The coach made more blunders than what I saw or that the players we have really suck. Can Andre really get almost 200 and not score. How many times did we get to the red zone and blow it. I will not use the pink soap but I did get a little pissed at the final score.

that kool aid must be wearing off. i gotta say i am impressed.

merry christmas joe texan

Oh, trust me, I agree 100 percent about OD. When he went down, I told several friends of mine that that is going to hurt us. Both friends said that tight ends are a dime a dozen.

No, they are not. A tight end that fits into your scheme and plays well with your qb is not easy to find. You can't just plug in another tight end and expect he and Schaub to connect like he did with OD.

Well, both friends have separately told me point blank that I was right about OD hurting this team. lol.

About next year. Here is what I'm worried about: Pressure. This team had a lot of expectations placed on it this year, and I think they couldn't handle it. I defintely don't think Gary handles pressure well.

Can you imagine the pressure they're going to be under next year if Kubiak returns? And - good gobbly - with Kris Brown as our kicker? Wow.

I admit that I was wrong about OD going down. I really didn't think there would be too much of a drop off. Plug and play. Well it's abundantly obvious I was woefully wrong.

Oh, there will be a huge amount of pressure. They thought expectations and pressure was tough this year? Just wait. If the Texans get off to a slow start next season with Kubiak at the helm, I will call for his head.

All the other things that are concerns I can attribute to youth and inexperience.Inconsistency - youth. Bad penalties - youth. Buckling under pressure - youth. All of those things get better with experience. That said, in order for it to happen players have to perform and coaches have to coach. Hell think about it, AJ is our oldest team leader at 28. He's never "been there done that."

Back