Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak Supporters: Why should he stay?

what about that paragragh didn't make sense? We are missing some pieces. Maybe another coach could get more out of what we have, but we are nonetheless missing some cogs in the machinery. I don't care who our coach would have been this year, this team isn't ready to go to the super bowl yet.

I never mentioned the word Superbowl nor was it in the paragraph that got me dizzy reading. What confused me was his stance that we were only as good as our record (6 & 7) yet we are only a few pieces away from being elite. And thats a fact? :hmmm:

I never mentioned the word Superbowl nor was it in the paragraph that got me dizzy reading. What confused me was his stance that we were only as good as our record (6 & 7) yet we are only a few pieces away from being elite. And thats a fact? :hmmm:

Yes. It IS a fact. Unfortunately, one of those "pieces" is at head coach.

Good points made in this thread from the pink soapers

consistently see too many opportunities to do the little things winning teams do, that we don't do. Like pick up additional yardage with 8 seconds on the clock and 1 timeout. Or try to get the ball to your best player inside the 10 yard line, not have him block on a play most saw coming.

4 years is long enough for someone to turn a team into a winner. Kubiak has failed to do so and other coaches have done it quicker and with no more to work with than Kubiak has had.

Kubiak's problem is he is too loyal to players and coaches that suck. Myers should be gone. Richard Smith should have been gone after his first season. Weaver was kept around too long. Chris Brown still sucks.

Cowher says he won't talk to any teams that still have a coach.

we are 1-5 in or division this year, and we got the 1 win against a team that was starting an 0-6 run. Kubiak has built a team whose achilles heel is the teams in its own division.

Every D in the league knows Schaub can only audible to run plays....so he doesn't audible.

McNair gave Dom Capers the boot as his head coach after four playoff-less seasons, and Kubiak now deserves the exact same treatment. Despite having some of the most gifted players in the league at several positions, the Texans lack heart, killer instinct and the know-how to win. If that's not a reflection on a head coach's leadership, what pray tell is?

Why wait until the end of the season? Getting the new guy, now, can get his feet onto the ground and with the players before the season is done.
four years without one winning season is failure.

do we hope Kubiak pulls it together next season and give him another year? And, if we do give him another year and he doesn't pull it off, we'll fire him, but that would put us a year behind where we COULD HAVE BEEN had we fired him THIS year.

Miami, Atlanta, Denver, New Orleans, I could go on. Teams can switch coaches and immediately make the playoffs.

am not for firing Kubiak just to fire him. it has to be an upgrade and this is the year for hiring a top head coach.

are you really going to bring Kubiak back as a lame duck coach without a contract or God forbid, re-sign him to an extension?

All of the stupid mistakes are on those coaches as much as the players.

Is it out of the question to think a new coach, with different strengths and weaknesses, might correct some of the long running problems with this team while building on the foundation Kubiak has put in place?

The team is getting better and better each year...the bad thing is the losses are more heartbreaking because the team is getting better and better.
Kubiak has only managed to beat Capers best record by one win...in 3 years. For a guy who has brought the team so far he sure does have a crappy record.

Given the Jekyll / Hyde of this team this team has shown from one half to the next in every game this year (w/ poss. exception of Bengals) one of two things must be true. Either: A) Kubiak & Co. performed miracles keepng us tied / ahead in games we had no business being in. or.. B) We are really as talented as we looked in the "good" half and the other half was so dreadfully coached, executed, etc. that it was painful to watch.

2009 - Week 13 - 5-7
2008 - Week 13 - 5-7
2007 - Week 13 - 5-7

At the end of the season, you are what your record says you are. When it's obvious that the talent has improved, but the record stays the same...who do you blame?

If this "improved" team finishes 8-8 next year, do you give Kubiak a new contract or let him go?

But can anybody really argue that Kubiak himself has improved? Does anyone yet have any confidence in Kubiak's clock management? Does anyone yet have any confidence in his game preparation? Does anybody yet have any confidence in his ability to make in-game adjustments? Does anybody yet have any confidence that, when the game is on the line, Kubiak will make the right decisions?

The team has improved under Kubiak. The Texans have better, more talented personnel. They're no longer the abomination of a team that they were pre-Kubiak.

But Kubiak is still making the same mistakes he made in his first season. If he's not going to get any better at his job, then why should he be kept around to drag the team down?

these are the teams that haven't made the playoffs since 2002. There's always next year!

Detroit Lions
Buffalo Bills
Houston Texans

Why assume that a replacement can't be found? Is it a complete lack of confidence in Bob McNair's ability to attract a competent and proven head coach? The reasoning that Kubiak should stay because the Texans are unable to bring in a quality coach is depressing. I guess I have more optimism. Maybe that's unfounded, but you can't fire the owner.
44 Kubiak coached games and absolutely zero big wins.

inability to win an important game or have more than 5 wins before week 14 in 3 years and 48 regular season games.

they come out of the bye with the idea that Chris Brown is their best option at HB... Moats looked great at Indy and today yet he couldn't get touches even with Slaton sidelined.

In the off-season, they inexplicably don't address the safety position. So, they are content with Barber, Wilson, and Ferguson as primary backup. We had cap room and also players like Sean Jones available for almost nothing.

still haven't figured out that our current group of OLmen can't run the zone scheme every freakin' play!

Why on earth is Kyle Shanahan more qualified to call plays than Matt Schaub? Schaub's intelligent and knows what he's doing. Instead, they continue to handcuff him.

Richard Smith lasted 3 seasons! that's too long. If you're working with a guy every day for years, it shouldn't take 3 years to realize he's a moron!
Inconsistency with teams are the head coach's responsibility, plain and simple.

What I don't get is, this team can't handle pressure of expectations. If Kubiak comes back next year, do they know how much pressure they will be under? It's going to be insane. If Gary even blinks wrong the fans are going to kill him.

One thing is for certain: It would be difficult to bring in any new assistants, when they know Kubiak is in his last season. So, McNair had better hope none of his assistants decide to retire (like Alex Gibbs) or move on to other club (like baby Shanny following his dad somewhere). It would also be difficult to sign a top free agent, when the coaching situation is unstabilized.

years is a long time period in the NFL. The average NFL career is less than 4 years. Most NFL player contracts are 4 years or less. A team has to be built in less than 4 years, or the players you are building around will be gone. That's just the reality that is the NFL. Great organizations realize this and constantly reload their talent. While winning.

What good is a top 10 YPG offense if it cnt score when the game is on the line?

McDaniels will accomplish something in his first season that Kubiak has failed to in four. It's about results. It's about performance. No one has to judge Kubiak on potential, like a draft prospect. Kubiak has a 4 year track record. And that record clearly show that he has not gotten the job done.
The coach also has to play the players who give them the best opportunity to win. Not take our best player off the field in crunch time like the 1st Jags game and Cardinals game. It would also help if we stopped forcing a square peg into a round hole (I.E. everything having to do with Chris Brown this season. MAYBE our 4th best RB?)

Chris Brown doesn't give us the best chance to win, yet we gave him the ball in crucial situations that contributed to 3 of our losses. That's on the coach for not getting the ball to a better player (like maybe that Andre Johnson guy?)

Lets not forget that we didn't sign Pollard until week 3 when our safety play was some of the worst in NFL history...
You know, it's the same thing EVERY year. We pick up rather meaningless wins in meaningless December games. I don't care that we won this game by 27 points. It doesn't really matter. I'm watching to see if the problems that we have been suffering from all season are getting worked out. And they aren't.

I watch other football teams, that can actually run the ball when they need to. Teams that have balance in their offense. We don't have that. Sure we can beat a 5-7 Seattle team that is injury riddled, and really just bad in almost every facet of the game. But when it comes to beating our division opponents, or just games that we need to win PERIOD, we fail using the same formula almost every time.

But there’s no doubt that Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will join his father Mike, probably in Washington when he returns to coaching next year. Kyle is a very bright coach who will be his father’s offensive coordinator.

Couldn't agree more, in fact, I feel what we saw today was just a continuation of the same old BS. The offense failed to play 4 quarters of football. If our competition had continued to play, we'd have probably seen the typical fold by our team at the end of the game.

Who the hell let's the foot off the gas in the second half like that seriously.. put them away keep your foot on the gas and keep going. Another playing not to lose half by Gary Kubiak, signed by Gary Kubiak..

The Texans are 7-25 against teams with winning records in the Kubiak era.

tons and tons including mine...

...have a good excuse though...we were blessed with a brand new baby girl wednesday and its a little hectic

chelsea lee van horne 12/09 9:09 am

as for the 4 tickets...i couldnt even find anyone who wanted to go in my place

congratulations!

Mussop, how much rep can I give for this post? In all seriousness, wow. You more than hit the nail on head. Agree 100% with everything.

I am still "on the fence" with Kubiak. I see both sides and agree with some of both. I do not want a change just to change.

What I would like to see the remainder of the games from Kubiak:

Go for the throat - both offense and defense. Hit them hard and hit them harder. Run up that score. Beat them down.

Show confidence in the OC. You made him OC, let him run the offense and lose the "Denny's menu".

Show confidence in your kicker. Watch the fieldgoals. Just like you kid playing in little league or performing on stage - parents do not turn their backs on them.

There are probably others but got to get ready for work.

I am still "on the fence" with Kubiak. I see both sides and agree with some of both. I do not want a change just to change.

A reasonable position to take. I do want him gone myself, but only if they can get a first-rate head coach with experience and rep. I do not want him replaced with another experimental newbie. Right now it's obvious the players support him, and as long as that's true and they can't find a good, experienced head coach, I would rather have Kubiak back next year than take a chance on another team's coordinator. Kubiak and Smith have built a good team, they're just not moving as fast as most of us want.

Last edited:
It was funny on the way home...5-5:15...I was listening to Charlie and a Kubes fan called in....I'm sure it is one of the ones here attempting to get ammo. Told Charlie he was the most rational sports voice out there and then asked if he would agree that the Texans have improved every year. Charlie said no and said the offense isn't as good because of the running game, etc. Kubes fan didn't like said answer and tried to convince Charlie, who continued to diagree. Then the fan stated that a new coach would destroy everything we had built and used Detroit and Wshington as examples. Charlie told them to be fair and he could use Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami as examples of it working. Fan wasn't happy with this answer either from the most "rational person" and went silent and off the air. It was like being here at times.

That's a really good point about being improved since last year on offense.

Are we really sure that we have a better offense this year?

We have much better QB play! and, that's making up for our pathetic rushing offense...

One of my worries with changing coaching staffs is the possible regression... or, at least the impeding of Schaub's progression to becoming a near elite level QB. He has made vast improvements this season and looks like he's really starting to take over as commander of that offense. His body language, possible audibling, etc... in the Seattle game were good signs, I thought.

We have much better QB play! and, that's making up for our pathetic rushing offense...

One of my worries with changing coaching staffs is the possible regression... or, at least the impeding of Schaub's progression to becoming a near elite level QB. He has made vast improvements this season and looks like he's really starting to take over as commander of that offense. His body language, possible audibling, etc... in the Seattle game were good signs, I thought.

I won't argue that Schaub is better this year.

However, that doesn't make for an overall improvement on offense.

A reasonable position to take. I do want him gone myself, but only if they can get a first-rate head coach with experience and rep. I do not want him replaced with another experimental newbie. Right now it's obvious the players support him, and as long as that's true and they can't find a good, experienced head coach, I would rather have Kubiak back next year than take a chance on another team's coordinator. Kubiak and Smith have built a good team, they're just not moving as fast as most of us want.

I would say I am right where you are. On the fence.

Yup, the offense was better last year when it was a more balanced attack. Yeah, the passing game looks great at times but it also can hamper you when you can't run the ball and you are a one trick pony against good teams. I definitely think they reverted there. Charlie had alot of good points to point to any improvement being "incremental" and that the reality is they are at the same place.

Yup, the offense was better last year when it was a more balanced attack. Yeah, the passing game looks great at times but it also can hamper you when you can't run the ball and you are a one trick pony against good teams. I definitely think they reverted there. Charlie had alot of good points to point to any improvement being "incremental" and that the reality is they are at the same place.

I think losing both starting guards is the factor there. They really need to go after some oline depth this offseason.

Schaub has been healthy all year, relatively speaking. Not sure that should be considered a result of Kubiak's actions.

Here is why I think an argument like this doesn't fly...or scare me. Schaub still has learned these things to make him effective. He can still be elite. So, lets say another guy comes in and the offense isn't like it is now but they still are strong. Let's say Schaub throws for less yards but is more efficient while the running game is fixed. Let's also say the new guy brings a different attitude. Wouldn't you rather win 10-11 games and have them be scores like 24-10 than have a high flying offense that is prone to breakdown at times? I would. I just think that the players can take the things that took them to 8-8 and someone else with more experince than Kubes can take them to another level.

Here is why I think an argument like this doesn't fly...or scare me. Schaub still has learned these things to make him effective. He can still be elite. So, lets say another guy comes in and the offense isn't like it is now but they still are strong. Let's say Schaub throws for less yards but is more efficient while the running game is fixed. Let's also say the new guy brings a different attitude. Wouldn't you rather win 10-11 games and have them be scores like 24-10 than have a high flying offense that is prone to breakdown at times? I would. I just think that the players can take the things that took them to 8-8 and someone else with more experince than Kubes can take them to another level.

Sure I would. However, I don't think Schaub's big numbers this season are a result of a pass-happy coaching staff trying to pad his stats. I think he has actually improved as a QB significantly under Kubiak. I see no reason not to expect further improvement. And, there's nothing to suggest that Kubiak won't be determined to fix the running game this off-season. He's fairly obsessed with running the ball.

If Schaub is as good, if not better, next year and the running game returns to 2008 form, this would be a dynamic offense to go along with a pretty good defense that I would expect to improve as well. I'm not saying that a change in coaching would definitely set back Schaub... it's just a concern I have, particularly not even knowing who the coach and his OC would be.

Sure I would. However, I don't think Schaub's big numbers this season are a result of a pass-happy coaching staff trying to pad his stats. I think he has actually improved as a QB significantly under Kubiak. I see no reason not to expect further improvement. And, there's nothing to suggest that Kubiak won't be determined to fix the running game this off-season. He's fairly obsessed with running the ball.

If Schaub is as good, if not better, next year and the running game returns to 2008 form, this would be a dynamic offense to go along with a pretty good defense that I would expect to improve as well. I'm not saying that a change in coaching would definitely set back Schaub... it's just a concern I have, particularly not even knowing who the coach and his OC would be.

I wouldn't say pad his stats but I think after the Arizona first half they did decide that if they were to win games they would need to air it out and that is what they have done to try and win.

Regression is also possible with Kubiak as the head coach next season, as well.

I know that you are specifically talking about Schaub, but in the bigger picture of team, we could still backslide with complacency and staleness.

There is no guarantee either way.

Top 5 QBs in passing attempts:

1. Peyton Manning: 502
2. Drew Brees: 490
3. Matt Schaub: 473
4. Jay Cutler: 457
5. Tony Romo: 444

Remember Schaub also was hurt for like an entire quarter, maybe longer in a game this year. So he missed out on like 10 throws. He averages 36.38 PA a game.

I'd say this staff is pretty pass happy. Always has been, especially at the end of games. Even last year. Remember Kubiak talking about "getting away from the ground game". "Shucks, I should have run it more."

I don't think it has anything to do with padding stats, it is just the personality of this offense, because it is the personality of Gary Kubiak. 4 years of it should tell you that it isn't going to change.

In 1,622 rushing attempts since the start of 2006 this team has rushed for an average of 3.866 yards per attempt. That's terrible.

Qtr CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT
1st 74 111 934 66.7 8.41 6 4 5.0 95.7

2nd 91 127 1133 71.7 8.92 10 2 6.0 118.6

3rd 71 105 806 67.6 7.68 4 3 5.0 91.2

4th 88 130 941 67.7 7.24 4 4 7.0 86.1

We get really pass happy in the 4th quarter. Always have. Schaub usually starts throwing INTs and fumbling because our playcalling becomes obvious.

Where do you get that Kubiak is "fairly obsessed with running the ball"? He's never put an emphasis on drafting running backs. He drafted Steve Slaton in the 3rd round hoping he would be a 3rd down back, basically hoping he could be a good receiving option. He goes after Ahman Green and Chris Brown. His offensive lineman are get smashed in run blocking. You can just look at their body types and can tell that they are all on the team for their pass blocking ability, not their run blocking ability.

Kubiak isn't obsessed with running the ball, he puts 0 emphasis on it. There's 4 years to show you that Kubiak won't be determined to fix the running game.

Last edited:
I find the argument for keeping Kubiak of "the next coach might not be better" to be very pessimistic. There are several factors to consider.

1) Team resources, i.e. money. This area shouldn't be a problem given McNair's wealth, if he decides to use it to I prove his football team

2) Identifying the correct candidates and deciding on one. Given that I see many posts describing Smith as a very good to great GM, this should not be a problem. However, if (and I do mean if) Smith feels some loyalty or connection to Kubiak that would make it difficult for him to make a decision that puts the Texans well-being ahead of Kubiak's, then I suggest Smith isn't the right man for the job. Regardless of Smith's position, McNair can invest his resources in the search for a coach, so this shouldn't be a problem.

3) Availibilty of coaching talent. There has been much discussion about this, and there are good coaches available. Once again, McNair's resources can come into play.

4) The intangibles - there is some good talent on the team, great facility, low cost of living, football town, etc. While these factors may not sway a decision to accept a coaching job here, they don't hurt.

5) The target. The Texans are trying to replace a fourth year rookie head coach with ongoing weaknesses who has peaked at mediocrity and possibly regressed this year. He does have his strengths, but he nets out at average. The Texans are not trying to replace a winning coach with a long record of success.

So, the Texans:

a) have the resources to identify and attract a good coach

b) require a coach that just has to be better than average to be improvement.

The thought that the Texans would fail in finding a better coach is either the height of pessimism or says a lot about the opinion of the competency of the decision makers in the organization.

IMO.

Top 5 QBs in passing attempts:

1. Peyton Manning: 502
2. Drew Brees: 490
3. Matt Schaub: 473
4. Jay Cutler: 457
5. Tony Romo: 444

Remember Schaub also was hurt for like an entire quarter, maybe longer in a game this year. So he missed out on like 10 throws. He averages 36.38 PA a game.

I'd say this staff is pretty pass happy. Always has been, especially at the end of games. Even last year. Remember Kubiak talking about "getting away from the ground game". "Shucks, I should have run it more."

I don't think it has anything to do with padding stats, it is just the personality of this offense, because it is the personality of Gary Kubiak. 4 years of it should tell you that it isn't going to change.

In 1,622 rushing attempts since the start of 2006 this team has rushed for an average of 3.866 yards per attempt. That's terrible.

Qtr CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT
1st 74 111 934 66.7 8.41 6 4 5.0 95.7

2nd 91 127 1133 71.7 8.92 10 2 6.0 118.6

3rd 71 105 806 67.6 7.68 4 3 5.0 91.2

4th 88 130 941 67.7 7.24 4 4 7.0 86.1

We get really pass happy in the 4th quarter. Always have. Schaub usually starts throwing INTs and fumbling because our playcalling becomes obvious.

Where do you get that Kubiak is "fairly obsessed with running the ball"? He's never put an emphasis on drafting running backs. He drafted Steve Slaton in the 3rd round hoping he would be a 3rd down back, basically hoping he could be a good receiving option. He goes after Ahman Green and Chris Brown. His offensive lineman are get smashed in run blocking. You can just look at their body types and can tell that they are all on the team for their pass blocking ability, not their run blocking ability.

Kubiak isn't obsessed with running the ball, he puts 0 emphasis on it. There's 4 years to show you that Kubiak won't be determined to fix the running game.

I think he's obsessed with running the ball and not at all obsessed with running backs. I think if Moats could pass protect even a little bit he'd be getting the majority of the carries because he's been the most effective.

I think that's the nature of his background in Denver and I don't expect that to change.

as for Kubiak, you gotta call Cowher, Schotty, Gruden, and Holmgren to see if any of those guys are interested. I want Kubiak gone and have since last year but not so we can hire another unproven flatliner with no winning experience and no HC cred. If those elite 4 guys aren't interested and no intriguing dark horses appear (insert Jimmy Johnson here), then you let Kubiak play out the last year of his contract HOWEVER if you go that route, you have to make a serious splash in the Free Agent market in order to eliminate some of the excuses people have for Kubiak's littany of failures. We need to make a splash and show that our franchise is committed to winning...NOW!!

we had a chance to make a statement last year if we would have signed Haynesworth out from under the Titans but we didn't. He would have given us the 4-3 DT we need and the mean streak that we needed. This year we need to target one of the elite UFAs and get him in Houston. It's gonna be tough this year due to the team's extra RFA tags and uncapped space, but we owe it to ourselves (and Kubiak) to put our team in the best position possible.

If we cant find a UFA, we should try and make a trade for someone we think can come in and make an impact next year, preferably a veteran and not an early draft pick.

Oh and can we please cut Dunta and for that matter, maybe Jacoby too. We need to send a message that losers and unprofessional self-centered losers aren't welcomed here. I like Jacoby's passion but he does too many stupid things. As for Dunta, he just sucks and he needs to go away. he let everyone down, including himself.

HC - Cowher
DC - Ron Rivera or Dick Lebeau
OC - Charlie Weis

How would this be for starters?

If we can get Capers for DC.

he has done wonders. carr got him fired. dom did a pretty good job except he wasn't willing to call Casserley out as a horrible GM and to call Carr out as a horrible and pathetic QB. Those guys killed him and he was one of the few things we had going back then.

he was a bit too conservative for me offensively, but look what the guy had to work with...utter garbage

he has done wonders. carr got him fired. dom did a pretty good job except he wasn't willing to call Casserley out as a horrible GM and to call Carr out as a horrible and pathetic QB. Those guys killed him and he was one of the few things we had going back then.

he was a bit too conservative for me offensively, but look what the guy had to work with...utter garbage

I think with Capers you have the chicken and the egg argument. Was Casserly really just that damn awful or was he trying to make moves for what his HC asked for?

What killed Capers was sticking with coordinators and position coaches who shouldn't have been there. (Sound Familiar?) I also question the role that McNair played in drafting Carr and keeping him around.

HC - Cowher
DC - Ron Rivera or Dick Lebeau
OC - Charlie Weis

How would this be for starters?

Cowher is an outside shot, and I have mixed feelings about Weis. But that doesn't sound like a bad lineup.

Instead of Ron Rivera, who I don't think would leave for anything less then a HC position or LeBeau, who is going to be hard to pry away from Pittsburgh. I think we should give a look for Wade Phillips as the DC. Nah not a HC, but he built the Chargers D.

I don't think having Kubiak stick around as an OC would be a good idea in any scenario other then Shannahan coming here. Even then I think that'd make for a dicey situation.

tons and tons including mine...

...have a good excuse though...we were blessed with a brand new baby girl Wednesday and its a little hectic

Chelsea Lee Van Horne 12/09 9:09 AM

as for the 4 tickets...i couldnt even find anyone who wanted to go in my place

Congratulations!!!
(where's the cigar smiley?)

I think with Capers you have the chicken and the egg argument. Was Casserly really just that damn awful or was he trying to make moves for what his HC asked for?

I put it on Casserly and here's why:

Capers had been successful as a "D" coordinator on some pretty good teams. He had success with another expansion team as a HC.

Casserly on the other hand was handed a team that Bobby Beathard had built as GM before moving on to San Diego (IIRC).

I don't think there's a right or wrong answer, it's just a stab at it - IMO..

Our defense was actually pretty decent under Capers, much like our offense is good under Kubiak.

Head coaches, however, need to be big picture kind of guys. Neither of these assistance coaches have impressed me in that regard. JMO

If you think this team doesn't have enough talent to be a playoff team it makes me wonder if you watch other teams at all. Every team has flaws. Nobody is loaded at all positions. You don't have to have a dozen all pros to make the playoffs.

Before this season started, there were at least three positions we were all screaming - well a lot of us - that needed upgrading by draft or F/A.

1. Space-eating DT - The guys we have try hard but they ain't nothing close to Fat Albert or Williams Bros. quality.
2. Shutdown CB - few were convinced that Jacque Reeves was a anything more than a good #3 CB and most had lost faith that Fred Bennett would repeat the solid play of his rookie year. Everyone was pissed at Dunta and had no faith that he'd do any good after missing all of T/C.
3. Play-making FS - Eugene Wilson was okay. But just "okay". Busing made a few plays early on but was just as likely to give up six by being in the wrong place. We need upgrades. Oh and those of us who thought Sharper was too old to pick up are eating deep-fried crow right about now. What difference he's made to the Saints' back end.

I could add the need for a #2 RB or a better center or a solid set of guards. Few of us were happy with who we came out of T/C and preseason at those positions.
I never said we needed All-Pros at every position. You're right, nobody has that.

Let me put it to you guys this way:
"Elite" teams are solid everywhere. They're excellent in some places and real good most other places; but they're solid EVERYWHERE.

We are not. That's all I'm saying.
When you ask your O-line to push for a yard against the AZ Cards (not the Steelers or Ravens but the frikin' Cards) or the Jags (who rebuilt their D-line this year) and they can't get it... We need upgrades.

"Elite" teams are built by good decisions. The Colts did not have any player drafted above the third round on defense when they made a comeback and stopped our HIGHLY RATED offense in it's tracks.

Those good decisions - the ones that build "elite" teams - are made by the coaching staff.

Just sayin'... :howdy: it's more than gameday decisions!

Texans fans should all be united in a Colts victory this evening. We can return to our eloquent soliloquies later this evening. :kitten:

Our defense was actually pretty decent under Capers, much like our offense is good under Kubiak.

The D was decent only in comparison to the O under Capers. Our league rankings were 16, 31, 23, 31 on D under Capers and that was with the benefit of some pretty serious vet talent in Sharper, Walker, Payne, Glenn, Coleman and Wong. Kubiak's D's have actually ranked higher at 24, 24, 22 13. Then on O Capers managed 32, 31, 19, 31 compared to 28 (HWWNBN), 14,3,8. Now that I look at it we were 31st in both O and D twice under Capers. Of course there is no doubt the Capers O put a tremendous amount of pressure on the D. That would be five of eight units ranked in the 30's for Capers and thankfully none under Kubiak.

Shudders and walks away.

If you think this team doesn't have enough talent to be a playoff team it makes me wonder if you watch other teams at all. Every team has flaws. Nobody is loaded at all positions. You don't have to have a dozen all pros to make the playoffs.
Some fans think the Texans require a Pro Bowl roster to compete. An experienced Pro Bowl roster. Maybe they're right. I think Kubiak could go 10-6 with a Pro Bowl roster.

Capers had been successful as a "D" coordinator on some pretty good teams. He had success with another expansion team as a HC.
Capers was another example of a very good coordinator, horrible head coach. His success with the Panthers was based upon a veteran defense constructed with free agent $$$. The Texans operated under much different expansion rules than the Panthers and did not have the salary cap $cash to chase free agents like Lamar Lathon & Kevin Greene. Once that talent grew older, Capers was exposed as a one trick pony.

I have to admit, I am thoroughly entertained by your recollection of the Capers/Casserly/Carr era. You never forget to point out that Carr was a pathetic loser lol.

Texans fans should all be united in a Colts victory this evening. We can return to our eloquent soliloquies later this evening. :kitten:

You got it. Fun game to watch.

======================

Eloquent soliloquy:

The Jags are a couple of coulda woulda shouldas from from being 2-0 against the Colts. I guess all teams have those plays... :)

The D was decent only in comparison to the O under Capers. Our league rankings were 16, 31, 23, 31 on D under Capers and that was with the benefit of some pretty serious vet talent in Sharper, Walker, Payne, Glenn, Coleman and Wong. Kubiak's D's have actually ranked higher at 24, 24, 22 13. Then on O Capers managed 32, 31, 19, 31 compared to 28 (HWWNBN), 14,3,8. Now that I look at it we were 31st in both O and D twice under Capers. Of course there is no doubt the Capers O put a tremendous amount of pressure on the D. That would be five of eight units ranked in the 30's for Capers and thankfully none under Kubiak.

Shudders and walks away.

Interesting...I was going off fuzzy memory, so for some reason I thought the D was ranked higher than that. I remember that infamous Steelers game...just checked and saw that was our inaugural season...yay...by no means am I defending Capers (any HC with a 2-14 season cannot be defended).

However, I suppose what could be construed is that Capers did more with less while Kubiak does less with more? Rankings aside, scoreboard? :thinking:

I'm sure the Texans could've gotten Lathon and Greene at some point. :)

Kubiak will probably bring them in next year. :roast:

Before this season started, there were at least three positions we were all screaming - well a lot of us - that needed upgrading by draft or F/A.

1. Space-eating DT - The guys we have try hard but they ain't nothing close to Fat Albert or Williams Bros. quality.
2. Shutdown CB - few were convinced that Jacque Reeves was a anything more than a good #3 CB and most had lost faith that Fred Bennett would repeat the solid play of his rookie year. Everyone was pissed at Dunta and had no faith that he'd do any good after missing all of T/C.
3. Play-making FS - Eugene Wilson was okay. But just "okay". Busing made a few plays early on but was just as likely to give up six by being in the wrong place. We need upgrades. Oh and those of us who thought Sharper was too old to pick up are eating deep-fried crow right about now. What difference he's made to the Saints' back end.

I could add the need for a #2 RB or a better center or a solid set of guards. Few of us were happy with who we came out of T/C and preseason at those positions.
I never said we needed All-Pros at every position. You're right, nobody has that.

Let me put it to you guys this way:
"Elite" teams are solid everywhere. They're excellent in some places and real good most other places; but they're solid EVERYWHERE.

We are not. That's all I'm saying.
When you ask your O-line to push for a yard against the AZ Cards (not the Steelers or Ravens but the frikin' Cards) or the Jags (who rebuilt their D-line this year) and they can't get it... We need upgrades.

This current Texans team this year had just about as much talent as the Cardinals did last season honestly. THe Cardinals had quite a few holes on that team as well. Probably about the same amount of holes that we've had this year as well.

Some fans think the Texans require a Pro Bowl roster to compete. An experienced Pro Bowl roster. Maybe they're right. I think Kubiak could go 10-6 with a Pro Bowl roster.

I brought this up so I'll address it again.

I'm not saying we need All-Madden players at every position. I'm reminding folks of the bitching that was on-going during the draft and T/C.

Remember those needs?
- More beef in the D-Line - few thought Okoye was working out as advertised. Several posts regarding the need for a "space-eating" DT.
- A stud pass rusher to help Mario - Not everyone was impressed with the Antonio Smith signing. Some wanted to trade for Orakpo.
- A solid #2 RB to go with Slaton. Most thought Chris Brown would be on IR by mid-season; some thought he'd be gone by the end of preseason.
- A Myers replacement unit. We were hoping Caldwell was the answer, but since The Angry Cherokee didn't start him, apparently he wasn't ready.
- An improvement at RG. Most wanted Brisiel replaced. Then things got worse at LG when Pitts went down in what, week 2/3? We've been trying to root out people with Myers and a pair of 2nd string guards. I guess I should be impressed that we've only given up 23 sacks.
- The there's the secondary. Some thought we should draft a play-making FS with some range (what rd did that Byrd kid in Buffalo go in?). Maybe they were right. Some considered picking up Sharper but were shouted down. Don't hear them shouts no more. Is there anyone here who, coming out of preseason, didn't think that would be the weakest part of our defense? We basically lucked into a stud at SS because he was unhappy in KC.

All I'm saying is, those were weaknesses we had spotted and voiced coming out of training camp and preseason.
Those weaknesses are still there. The better teams exposed them.
We need more pieces.

They just need a coach to get this team to do the little things right. This
team has enough talent to win much more than it does. Four years into
Kubiak, and this squad STILL has NO IDENTITY. They've been running
in place for the longest time. 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 9-7 *at most.

Remember those needs?
- More beef in the D-Line - few thought Okoye was working out as advertised. Several posts regarding the need for a "space-eating" DT.

I don't think we can ever expect to see a space eater at DT because that kind of guy doesn't fit the defensive philosophy here. You'd think one would have turned up these 4 years under Kubiak if that's the kind of guy they wanted.

Kubiak wants his guys to play sideline to sideline.

- A Myers replacement unit. We were hoping Caldwell was the answer, but since The Angry Cherokee didn't start him, apparently he wasn't ready.
- An improvement at RG. Most wanted Brisiel replaced. Then things got worse at LG when Pitts went down in what, week 2/3? We've been trying to root out people with Myers and a pair of 2nd string guards. I guess I should be impressed that we've only given up 23 sacks.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes....

This makes me wonder if we could fix Center and Guard with one fell swoop by moving Myers to G. I've heard that he's taller than your prototype Center.

Back