Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak Supporters: Why should he stay?

It think its time to accept that Kubiak will be getting another year whether you like or not. So, we might as well take what positives we can from that game. I saw Kubiak allow some audibles to be called, a whole bunch of plays we called for #80, and our coach didn't attempt to "out-couch" the other sideline.

I am sure that Kubiak has seen his coaching-life flash before his eyes the last couple weeks, and I'm hoping that it has humbled him. I liked that we saw Quin, McCain and Foster in the games at important times.

Clearly Kubes has the support from the players and the management, so I think I will take it easy on the guy for now.

It think its time to accept that Kubiak will be getting another year whether you like or not. So, we might as well take what positives we can from that game. I saw Kubiak allow some audibles to be called, a whole bunch of plays we called for #80, and our coach didn't attempt to "out-couch" the other sideline.

I am sure that Kubiak has seen his coaching-life flash before his eyes the last couple weeks, and I'm hoping that it has humbled him. I liked that we saw Quin, McCain and Foster in the games at important times.

Clearly Kubes has the support from the players and the management, so I think I will take it easy on the guy for now.

I think most of us are aware of that, but it doesn't mean we can't voice our displeasures.

Up until the titans game I've been in Kubiaks corner 100%. That game forced me to reflect on Kubiak's tenure here and I came away unimpressed.

I will have no problem climbing back on his bandwagon if he can win me back. :)

I'm still not sold on this. I can see 8-8 again and that isn't good enough. As much as I think McNair is lost about some things he understands the bottom line and I've seen other reports here that he may be looking in a different direction if he doesn't win out. The pattern here is to keep someone too long but I think the fact that the season pattern has become so predictable works against Kubes. I also think his speech works against him. Why wouldn't you pull that out to start the season, mid-season, etc,... not to just save your job.

Last edited:
I'm still not sold on this. I can see 8-8 again and that isn't good enough. As much as I think McNair is lost about some things he understand the bottom line and I've seen other reports here that he may be looking in a different direction if he doesn't win out. The pattern here is to keep someone too long but I think the fact that the season pattern has become so predictable works against Kubes. I also think his speech works against him. Why wouldn't you pull that out to start the season, mid-sseason, etc, not to just save your job.
tons of empty seats yesterday.

You mean Kubiak has changed? He's gonna play the best players on his roster,
despite their age? Has Chris Brown been sat down in favor of Arian
Foster? Should we forgive the fact he held on to Richard Smith a year too
long? What's gonna happen once he starts believing his job is secure again?
Will his stubborn efforts to micromanage the playmakers on the roster stunt
the progress of this team again?

Kubiak is our coach of the future.
:sarcasm:

Of course he has their support. It's their COMFORT ZONE. They know that
if he's gone, a lot is gonna change. Change is not comfortable. Continuity
is great and all, but what are we continuing?

Should we continue our 7-17 record in the division?
Should we continue our sub .500 record against teams that actually LOOK
to make the playoffs?
Should we continue to look woefully unprepared against rookie quarterbacks?

Continuity...

.....is only good when you're continuing to WIN.

Saw these posted in a response in a paper article....

Kubes has one win this season vs a winning team(Bengals)

Kubes has ONLY 3 wins in 4 years against teams with winning records.

DexmanC said:
You mean Kubiak has changed? He's gonna play the best players on his roster,
despite their age? Has Chris Brown been sat down in favor of Arian
Foster? Should we forgive the fact he held on to Richard Smith a year too
long? What's gonna happen once he starts believing his job is secure again?
Will his stubborn efforts to micromanage the playmakers on the roster stunt
the progress of this team again?

Kubiak is our coach of the future.

Exactly. I posted a similar thing at the HT.com boards.

houstonsportsfan09 said:
Signs of desperate times?

Kubiak is going all out to save his job? What? Why all the sudden now Gary?

1. Holds a "meeting" speaking of his love for football, his players, and the Texans. Really!? This talk seemed to inspire his players so much, they went out and won big. Afterwards the players then come out expressing their love for the HC. So where was this the previous 13 weeks? Why did it take so long? It takes your job being on the line to inspire your players and to get them ready? Why cant they play inspired ball in the big games? Why all the sudden now Gary? What took so long?

2. Schaub was allowed to audible yesterday! What has the world come to? Matt Schaub allowed to audible? GK rarely allows his QB to audible. Why all the sudden now Gary? What took so long?

3. The previous 4 weeks GK decides to start Chris Brown? Chris Brown?! The least productive back out there. Now you start giving carries to Ryan Moats and Arian Foster. You're 14 weeks late(ok 4 weeks too late). Why all the sudden now Gary? What took so long?

So is this what it takes? It takes your job being on the line to get your head out your arse? Why all the sudden now Gary? What took so long?

I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

Kubiak must go there is no way we keep this coach who can't get his guys up to win the games that mean the most. I don't care if we finish 9-7 it is time to get a real coaching staff in here to get this team into the playoffs on a steady basis.

Actually, Kubes has two wins against teams with a winning record, since the Tacks are now 7-6.

/saltinwound

eriadoc said:
Actually, Kubes has two wins against teams with a winning record, since the Tacks are now 7-6.

/saltinwound

I was thinking about that. It must be when they play, not the end of season record.

Maybe the Texans are a good get well pill for struggling teams.

/saltinwound

I was thinking about that. It must be when they play, not the end of season record.

Tacks are 6-7 just like the Texans. The original point stands (not beating a winning team other than the Bengals).

ChampionTexan said:

/saltinwound

Tacks are 6-7 just like the Texans. The original point stands (not beating a winning team other than the Bengals).

I was wondering about the previous years too. It seems like such a low number to me...

I was wondering about the previous years too. It seems like such a low number to me...

As I said, I saw the stat posted by someone on a blog comment and passed it on. I wondered the same though...final record or "at the time" record.

So here are the wins

2006: 6-10: Dolphins (6-10), Jags (twice) (8-8), Oakland (2-14), Indy (12-4), Cleveland (4-12)....there is 1

2007: 8-8: KC (4-12), Carolina (7-9), Miami (1-15), Oakland (4-12), New Orleans (7-9), Tampa (9-7), Denver (7-9), J'Ville (11-5)....there is 2

2008: 8-8: Miami(11-5), Detroit (0-16), Cincy (4-11-1), Cleveland (4-12), J'Ville (5-11), Green Bay (6-10), Tennessee (13-3), Chicago(9-7)....so there is 3.

So 6 overall in the previous 3 years....7 up until now..when counting total record. So that blogger may have meant at the time of playing.

Last edited:
HoustonFrog said:

As I said, I saw the stat posted by someone on a blog comment and passed it on. I wondered the same though...final record or "at the time" record.

I think someone less lazy than me needs to check this out.

:)

So here are the wins

2006: 6-10: Dolphins, Jags (twice), Oakland, Indy, Cleveland

2007: 8-8: KC, Carolina, Miami, Oakland, New Orleans, Tampa, Denver, J'Ville

2008: 8-8: Miami, Detrot, Cincy, Cleveland, J'Ville, Green Bay, Tennessee, Chicao

Actually, last year, Miami, Tennessee, and Chicago all finished above .500 (and were above .500 when the Texans played them), and in 2007 J'ville was above .500, so there's four right there. There may be more, but when I figured out the stat was wrong, I wasn't concerned with how wrong, although if it's all four years, the Bengals make it at least 5.

Actually, last year, Miami, Tennessee, and Chicago all finished above .500 (and were above .500 when the Texans played them), and in 2007 J'ville was above .500, so there's four right there. There may be more, but when I figured out the stat was wrong, I wasn't concerned with how wrong, although if it's all four years, the Bengals make it at least 5.

I think someone less lazy than me needs to check this out.

:)

2006: 6-10: Dolphins (6-10), Jags (twice) (8-8), Oakland (2-14), Indy (12-4), Cleveland (4-12)....there is 1

2007: 8-8: KC (4-12), Carolina (7-9), Miami (1-15), Oakland (4-12), New Orleans (7-9), Tampa (9-7), Denver (7-9), J'Ville (11-5)....there is 2

2008: 8-8: Miami(11-5), Detroit (0-16), Cincy (4-11-1), Cleveland (4-12), J'Ville (5-11), Green Bay (6-10), Tennessee (13-3), Chicago(9-7)....so there is 3.

So 6 overall in the previous 3 years....7 up until now..when counting total record. So that blogger may have meant at the time of playing because I know Miami had a losing record at the time last year.

So 6 overall in the previous 3 years....7 up until now..when counting total record. So that blogger may have meant at the time of playing because I know Miami had a losing record at the time last year.

Actually, they were 2-2, so my comment earlier, and your comment in this post are both wrong.

If wanting my team to address it's impediments and get to the playoffs is an agenda....guilty as charged.

my analogy: if you don't have the receipe (game plan) it doesn't matter how good the ingrediants (players) or how it's executed (coached) your not going to achieve the desired results (win). It took me three tries to nail this beer, which is like par & while the first two did not fit my desired result (win in competition) they still both tasted pretty good (its beer). I would say the same thing about Kubiak & Texans (its NFL). So if Kubiak has learned proper receipe management w/game planning we will all be happy with the results :stirpot:

What has he shown you that warrants another year?

What will be different next year?

I'd prefer something empirical. Something measurable.

How about this:
since Kubiak got here we've had only one losing season.
before Kubiak, ALL losing seasons. Every one of them.

But I think you're asking the wrong question.
The real question is: were we really, truly good enough for the high expectations that some folks - me included - had at the beginning of the year??

Maybe the cold, hard, truth of it is: we were not.

Yeah, we were better than we used to be. Much better. But the hard core truth is, we still have missing pieces.

We don't have a Drew Brees or a Peyton Manning running our show on offense. We don't have a Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson - with the O-lines in front of them - powering our running attack. Slaton was good last year but suffered a bad case of sophomore jinx this year. And as much as we like Double S, there's not one of you who wouldn't trade him for A.P. straight up. Not one. Me included.

Nobody's totally happy with our DBs. Who here wouldn't give up Domanick Barber or Eugene Wilson for Polomalu or a guy with Darren Sharper's nose for the ball.

Once we lost O.D. we were stuck with an "okay" guy at T.E. Be honest, we all know that Dressen's just "okay". He's no where close to a O.D. replacement unit. And neither of the rookie TEs are ready.

Now you know, I could go on. But the lesson is, there are only 6-7 positions out of our 22 starters where we wouldn't take an upgrade. And I'm actually having trouble coming up with 6.

So, again, I ask: Were our expectations for this season too high and were our early season evaluations too rose-colored.

Looks to me like the answer is "yes".

And I don't think any coach you could name would have done better given the upgrades we still need.

Kubiak should stay because his teams play so good in games that matter and because he performs so well in the division. I mean the guy almost has a .200 divisional record. Why should he stay? I cant even begin to count the reasons. He is a genius at inspiring his troops and his teams are so disciplined and don't get stupid penalties or do stupid things. Why not just resign the guy to a 10 year contract. He is winning 2 out of 10 divisional games...that is freaking awesome. Cowher can't even hold Kubiak's jock. Kubiak is a winner. yeah, he is a losing head coach but he coaches for us, so he is a winner and he just has to be the answer. screw looking at things like stats and trends and reality. He is a Texans head coach and is a local 'hero' so he has to be good. Logic and facts be damned.

how dare anyone question Kubiak. who knows maybe if we are patient he just may win 2 divisional games next year. that would be awesome.

i am so geeked up for next year. we are going to be so awesome. hooray for Big Game Gary.

Ok Joe Texan, what did you do with Second Honeymoon?

How about this:

The real question is: were we really, truly good enough for the high expectations that some folks - me included - had at the beginning of the year??

Yeah, we were better than we used to be. Much better. But the hard core truth is, we still have missing pieces.

We don't have a Drew Brees or a Peyton Manning running our show on offense. We don't have a Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson - with the O-lines in front of them - powering our running attack. Slaton was good last year but suffered a bad case of sophomore jinx this year. And as much as we like Double S, there's not one of you who wouldn't trade him for A.P. straight up. Not one. Me included.

Nobody's totally happy with our DBs. Who here wouldn't give up Domanick Barber or Eugene Wilson for Polomalu or a guy with Darren Sharper's nose for the ball.

Once we lost O.D. we were stuck with an "okay" guy at T.E. Be honest, we all know that Dressen's just "okay". He's no where close to a O.D. replacement unit. And neither of the rookie TEs are ready.

Now you know, I could go on. But the lesson is, there are only 6-7 positions out of our 22 starters where we wouldn't take an upgrade. And I'm actually having trouble coming up with 6.

So, again, I ask: Were our expectations for this season too high and were our early season evaluations too rose-colored.

And I don't think any coach you could name would have done better given the upgrades we still need.

It's unrealistic to expect probowlers at EVERY position. The bottom line
is this team has the talent to have won more than 6 games up to this point.
They threw 3 wins away early in the season with a defense on pace to
be the worst in history. They threw another win away against the Jets, in
a game that featured a ROOKIE head coach, and a ROOKIE quarterback.
Both were made to look like "hall-of-famers" in their first ever starts.

Are you saying this team is less talented than Jacksonville, Miami, Baltimore,
or Tennessee?? I seem to remember this team putting up points in bunches
when they get DOWN 3 scores or more. Why couldn't they START a game
with that type of intensity? Coaching has stunted the growth of this
team, and it's time to admit it.

Peter King MMQB.

Ten Things I Think I Think.

b. Now that the games mean nothing, here come the Texans. Again.

How about this:

This is horrible.

Who cares waht happend 5 years ago and before? And you might of had high expectations but that doesnt mean everyone did.

Oh yeh and we could of had Adrian Peterson but our mediocre coach won a bunch of meeningless games at the end of the year and to put us out of the running for him. Hell even so we could of had Willis but we got cute and drafted a 19 year old who still hasnt developed.

And seriously show me another team that couldnt use an upgrade at most positions. You cant have allpros at every position. This aint Madden.

I wonder if the Dolphins and Pats think these upcoming games "mean nothing"?

I wonder if the Dolphins and Pats think these upcoming games mean anything to the Texans' season.

Of course they mean something to the Phins and Pats. Why the hell should we care? Unless you're suggesting we all become fans of those teams, since the games mean something to them.

I wonder if the Dolphins and Pats think these upcoming games "mean nothing"?

No, because they are fighting for something. But they mean nothing to the Texans. Got it?

I wonder if the Dolphins and Pats think these upcoming games mean anything to the Texans' season.

Of course they mean something to the Phins and Pats. Why the hell should we care? Unless you're suggesting we all become fans of those teams, since the games mean something to them.

Beat me to it

This is horrible.

Who cares waht happend 5 years ago and before? And you might of had high expectations but that doesnt mean everyone did.

Oh yeh and we could of had Adrian Peterson but our mediocre coach won a bunch of meeningless games at the end of the year and to put us out of the running for him. Hell even so we could of had Willis but we got cute and drafted a 19 year old who still hasnt developed.

And seriously show me another team that couldnt use an upgrade at most positions. You cant have allpros at every position. This aint Madden.

So you won't face the simple fact that we really are only as good as our record says we are? No, we're not a sucky team any longer but we still need a few more pieces before we're "elite". That's a fact and changing the coach won't change that.

Sure, I would have liked Willis, but Cushing will do nicely, thank you. And I'd rather win "meaningless games" than have the team "mail it in" so we can draft in the top 5. Talk about "horrible"... that train of thought boggles my mind.

So you won't face the simple fact that we really are only as good as our record says we are? No, we're not a sucky team any longer but we still need a few more pieces before we're "elite". That's a fact and changing the coach won't change that.

Im dumbfounded by this paragraph. Just speachless!!!! :wacko:

Funny thing.....all the Tracy McGrady apologists on Clutch Fans are pointing to "high expectations" as well.

After 2 years consecutive .500 seasons, expectations are exactly where they should be.

Im dumbfounded by this paragraph. Just speachless!!!! :wacko:

what about that paragragh didn't make sense? We are missing some pieces. Maybe another coach could get more out of what we have, but we are nonetheless missing some cogs in the machinery. I don't care who our coach would have been this year, this team isn't ready to go to the super bowl yet.

what about that paragragh didn't make sense? We are missing some pieces. Maybe another coach could get more out of what we have, but we are nonetheless missing some cogs in the machinery. I don't care who our coach would have been this year, this team isn't ready to go to the super bowl yet.
If you think this team doesn't have enough talent to be a playoff team it makes me wonder if you watch other teams at all. Every team has flaws. Nobody is loaded at all positions. You don't have to have a dozen all pros to make the playoffs.

If you think this team doesn't have enough talent to be a playoff team it makes me wonder if you watch other teams at all. Every team has flaws. Nobody is loaded at all positions. You don't have to have a dozen all pros to make the playoffs.

to make the playoffs you're right. We have all the talent we need to make the playoffs, I agree. But to win a super bowl? Nope, we ain't there yet.

This is horrible.

I don't know if you intended this meaning but it is time for my football soap box speech...

Two inventions have ruined professional football fandom in the last 20 years...

1. Fantasy Football
2. Madden NFL Football

These two inventions have turned every ***** with a game controller and/or keyboard into a bunch of General Manager/Head Coach wannabes.

To anyone who ever suggests a professional football team should intentionally lose games just to improve their draft position, I award you three :clown: :clown: :clown:

The biggest thing that Texans did not do to make the playoffs and contend for a Superbowl is to become dynamic in some area. The Steelers had a dynamic pass rush and were okay most other area. the Cards had a dynamic passing game. Same thing the year before, Giants dynamic pass rush, Pats dynamic passing game. In short, become excellent somewhere and make teams adjust to what you are doing.

It was funny on the way home...5-5:15...I was listening to Charlie and a Kubes fan called in....I'm sure it is one of the ones here attempting to get ammo. Told Charlie he was the most rational sports voice out there and then asked if he would agree that the Texans have improved every year. Charlie said no and said the offense isn't as good because of the running game, etc. Kubes fan didn't like said answer and tried to convince Charlie, who continued to diagree. Then the fan stated that a new coach would destroy everything we had built and used Detroit and Wshington as examples. Charlie told them to be fair and he could use Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami as examples of it working. Fan wasn't happy with this answer either from the most "rational person" and went silent and off the air. It was like being here at times.

It was funny on the way home...5-5:15...I was listening to Charlie and a Kubes fan called in....I'm sure it is one of the ones here attempting to get ammo. Told Charlie he was the most rational sports voice out there and then asked if he would agree that the Texans have improved every year. Charlie said no and said the offense isn't as good because of the running game, etc. Kubes fan didn't like said answer and tried to convince Charlie, who continued to diagree. Then the fan stated that a new coach would destroy everything we had built and used Detroit and Wshington as examples. Charlie told them to be fair and he could use Baltimore, Atlanta and Miami as examples of it working. Fan wasn't happy with this answer either from the most "rational person" and went silent and off the air. It was like being here at times.

LOLZ. Fire Kubiak, and this organization will burn. Gimme a break.

at least most of them are talking about the game, the players and the coaches. You are getting to the point where most of your posts center around the posters.

this is the same mensa that had Carr's picture up on his high school locker next to TigerBeat pictures of Justin Timberlake and Johnny Depp.

not exactly the type of objective opinion that is to be respected.

Back