Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak Supporters: Why should he stay?

Bad kicking, bad referee calls, poor coaching decisions, bad luck.

I'm not sure why anything I've argued is even in dispute. The thread asked for reasons Kubiak should stay. I submitted a few. I've repeatedly argued that I understand the concerns people have with him.... I share some of them. I've also said that I would agree with his removal if a plan with a head coach and GM was in place and was better than what we have... or, likely better. I experienced the same disappointment and frustration that the rest of you did and for about 28 hours I was in the "Fire Kubiak Camp"... After I became emotionally stable again, I thought about it and reconsidered. Somehow that is upsetting to people or at least is fodder to discredit my thoughts on the subject. I'm not sure I get that.

Why hell, it's a wonder the NFL even has a Super Bowl champion if those are the things that holds a team back.

I mean, who can overcome such giant obstacles?

Gary "Stones" Kubiak can. Just needs another year, preferably one with less obstacles.

I don't get this concern. It's not as if there aren't qualified coaching candidates available every year. This year's field may be the best in years. And how difficult is it to replace a head coach who has never had a winning season?

I would take the following AFC head coaches over Kubiak in a heartbeat:
Bill Belichick
Jeff Fisher
Mike Tomlin
John Harbaugh
Tony Sparano
Josh McDaniels
Jim Caldwell
Rex Ryan
Jack Del Rio (Yes, even JDR)

Coaches that I consider a wash with Kubiak:
Todd Haley
Norv Turner
Marvin Lewis

Coaches I consider Kubiak superior to:
Tom Cable
Eric Mangini
Whomever is coaching the Bills

As far as a plan is concerned, I'm sure the Texans process would be like any other team searching for a new coach. Identify the candidates. Interview the candidates. Select the best coach for your team. It's not rocket science and it's done every year. Nothing to fear. The only thing we have to fear is another season of mediocrity under Kubiak.

You do realize that most of the guys you listed don't have much of any track record? Come on! Jim Caldwell? You have to look at the circumstances. Rex Ryan... why? Josh McDaniels has coached in 12 games, and he's lost 4 of his last 6. John Harbaugh took over a perennial winner with established veterans that no how to win and had a good season last year. This year, he's 6-6 despite a good defense, a great RB, a good OL.

Wade Phillips has an excellent NFL record as a head coach. Would you really rather have him as your coach? I just think that circumstance and luck/probablility factor more heavily into wins and losses than many of you do. And, while I think Kubiak has failed in his role this year, I don't see his failure to be inevitable to repeat itself. As a matter of a fact, I expect a different result next season.

Why hell, it's a wonder the NFL even has a Super Bowl champion if those are the things that holds a team back.

I mean, who can overcome such giant obstacles?

Gary "Stones" Kubiak can. Just needs another year, preferably one with less obstacles.

For about the 12th time: Kubiak failed this year. He made poor decisions and it cost the team. Back to my original point that none of you will acknowledge: "good coaches lead their teams to bad seasons sometimes.. even with more talented and experienced rosters". For example:

Mike Tomlin in '09
Bill Bellicheck in '09
Bill Parcels had a losing season in Dallas immediately after a 10- 6 season.

Back to my original point that none of you will acknowledge: "good coaches lead their teams to bad seasons sometimes..
What you (and others) are not acknowledging is that Gary Kubiak has yet to become a "good" coach. These other coaches you are referring to have had good coaching years. Some have had great years. You can't compare Kubiak to guys who have had success, like a Belichick or a Tomlin. You can compare him to coaches who never succeeded, like a Bruce Coslet or a David Shula or a Hugh Campbell. Maybe those guys were never given enough time to succeed. Or maybe they just couldn't cut it as NFL head coaches.

You do realize that most of the guys you listed don't have much of any track record?
I firmly believe that any NFL team would choose John Harbaugh, Tony Sparano, Josh McDaniels, Jim Caldwell, or Rex Ryan over Gary Kubiak as head coach. If these coaches were released from their contracts and became available, all would have head coaching jobs in 2010. If Gary Kubiak becomes available, his best option will be as an offensive coordinator.

What you (and others) are not acknowledging is that Gary Kubiak has yet to become a "good" coach. These other coaches you are referring to have had good coaching years. Some have had great years. You can't compare Kubiak to guys who have had success, like a Belichick or a Tomlin. You can compare him to coaches who never succeeded, like a Bruce Coslet or a David Shula or a Hugh Campbell. Maybe those guys were never given enough time to succeed. Or maybe they just couldn't cut it as NFL head coaches.

Do you think Tomlin wins more than 6 games in Houston in '06 or 8 games in '07?

And, once again, I'm not comparing Kubiak to those coaches. I'm saying that coaches that almost everyone believes to be very good, have their teams underachieve some seasons. So, the fact that the Texans have underachieved through 12 games this year, doesn't mean Kubiak is a bad coach. Now, if you want to argue that he's a bad coach because he throws a HB pass that gets intercepted then I'm actually a little more sympathetic.. However, then I'd have to compare/contrast him to Jim Caldwell, who allowed the same thing to happen against us... with PEYTON MANNING at QB!

I firmly believe that any NFL team would choose John Harbaugh, Tony Sparano, Josh McDaniels, Jim Caldwell, or Rex Ryan over Gary Kubiak as head coach. If these coaches were released from their contracts and became available, all would have head coaching jobs in 2010. If Gary Kubiak becomes available, his best option will be as an offensive coordinator.

Your assumption of popular opinion hardly makes it reality. By the way, popular opinion is overrated... Many of those same decision-makers that you think would hire McDaniels over Kubiak also passed on MJ Drew because he was too short. They also may have voted safety Roy Williams to one of his 5 consecutive probowl appearences. And, they probably all had Mike Vick on top of their draft board.

Many of those same decision-makers that you think would hire McDaniels over Kubiak also passed on MJ Drew because he was too short.
McDaniels will accomplish something in his first season that Kubiak has failed to in four. It's about results. It's about performance. No one has to judge Kubiak on potential, like a draft prospect. Kubiak has a 4 year track record. And that record clearly show that he has not gotten the job done.

Do you think Tomlin wins more than 6 games in Houston in '06 or 8 games in '07?

Good question. I'm not sure I do, but I'm pretty sure I feel like he'd have won more games in '08 and '09. So that's all that really matters. I mean, even Dom Capers progressed to a point, then he failed. I believe Kubiak is past the point of reasonable progression. So if this were the 1970s and he was given a decade to build a team, maybe he'd be great. Unfortunately, in the salary cap era, coaches have to win a lot sooner than that.

McDaniels will accomplish something in his first season that Kubiak has failed to in four. It's about results. It's about performance. No one has to judge Kubiak on potential, like a draft prospect. Kubiak has a 4 year track record. And that record clearly show that he has not gotten the job done.

If the Texans and Broncos finish the season with the same record, what will your attitude be towards the two coaches?

Good question. I'm not sure I do, but I'm pretty sure I feel like he'd have won more games in '08 and '09. So that's all that really matters. I mean, even Dom Capers progressed to a point, then he failed. I believe Kubiak is past the point of reasonable progression. So if this were the 1970s and he was given a decade to build a team, maybe he'd be great. Unfortunately, in the salary cap era, coaches have to win a lot sooner than that.

He's lost 7 games with the Steelers! Including must win games versus KC, Cleveland, Oakland; why on earth do you think he'd have done better versus Indy x2, Tennessee, Jacksonville?... Oh, and by the way, we beat Cincy handely in Cincinnati while Pitt lost to them twice.

Pittsburgh's losses:
Oakland
Kansas City
Cleveland
Chicago
Cincinnati
Cincinnati
Baltimore

Are you telling me that he would improve on our 7 losses:
Indy
Indy
Jacksonville
Jacksonville
Tennessee
NYJets
Arizona

If the Texans and Broncos finish the season with the same record, what will your attitude be towards the two coaches?

Did you even look at the remaining schedule for the Broncos?

Colts
Raiders
Eagles
Chiefs

Assume they win the two games they should against the Raiders and Chiefs. They finish the season 10-6. We can't match that.

Assuming they lose one to go 9-7 this team would have to win out, 4 in a row. Food for thought McDaniels has had this team on game win streak. What's the best a Kubiak team has done? 3?

What's my attitude about the coaches?

Let's see one has won more then one game against teams over .500

One coach has made the dreaded move of moving to a 3-4 defense, and got better, oh and had the sense to hire a coach with a track record.

One coach 12 weeks into the season has already matched Kubiak's best season win total.

Oh yeah this is all also under a newly hired GM.

Did you even look at the remaining schedule for the Broncos?

Colts
Raiders
Eagles
Chiefs

Assume they win the two games they should against the Raiders and Chiefs. They finish the season 10-6. We can't match that.

Assuming they lose one to go 9-7 this team would have to win out, 4 in a row. Food for thought McDaniels has had this team on game win streak. What's the best a Kubiak team has done? 3?

What's my attitude about the coaches?

Let's see one has won more then one game against teams over .500

One coach has made the dreaded move of moving to a 2-3 defense, and got better, oh and had the sense to hire a coach with a track record.

One coach 12 weeks into the season has already matched Kubiak's best season win total.

If Denver finishes the season with a better record than the Texans, then that comparison immediately becomes irrelevant. Reason i.e. spin to be supplied later.

:rolleyes:

For about the 12th time: Kubiak failed this year. He made poor decisions and it cost the team. Back to my original point that none of you will acknowledge: "good coaches lead their teams to bad seasons sometimes.. even with more talented and experienced rosters". For example:

Mike Tomlin in '09
Bill Bellicheck in '09
Bill Parcels had a losing season in Dallas immediately after a 10- 6 season.

Wow. I have no words.

Dale, you need to stop. Right now.

Kubes was solid today, he didn't do anything really dumb. He also called the "throw it to number 80" play a whole lot of times today, and we usually win when we do that.

I told myself beforehand that I wouldn't let this game determine how I felt about Kubiak. I think Mcnair has already made up his mind on keeping Kubiak anyway, so we might as well take what positives we can out of this game looking forward.

Because he stops playing chess on a football field and outsmarting himself when the game only counts to save his job...

Hey! I just realized (:sarcasm:)....that's a really good reason to can his butt...

The best thing about Kubiak is that his team will not quit on him. Unfortunately, I don't think that's enough. I hope I am wrong and the teams ahead of us in the playoff race collapse down the stretch but I would like to get a coach that can get us wins when we are in control of our own destiny.

His team looked great today, but it might end up being too little too late. Wish we could've seen this team the last 4 games :(

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but the only real solid excuse for Kubiak is that he has had too many injuries.

Pitts, Briesel, Owen, Wilson, Slaton

With Pitts, Owen, and Slaton being impact players, that is sure to hurt a team in the long run...but still the team was right there to win most of it's games and failed each time.

I'm sure it has been mentioned, but the only real solid excuse for Kubiak is that he has had too many injuries.

Pitts, Briesel, Owen, Wilson, Slaton

With Pitts, Owen, and Slaton being impact players, that is sure to hurt a team in the long run...but still the team was right there to win most of it's games and failed each time.

A coach should give his team an oportunity to win. The rest is on the players. Kubiak has consistantly put this team in position to win almost every game they have played. PLEASE don't tell me that he should have coached them better so they don't fumble on the goal-line or miss gimmie field goals. That is player responsibility.

A coach should give his team an oportunity to win. The rest is on the players. Kubiak has consistantly put this team in position to win almost every game they have played. PLEASE don't tell me that he should have coached them better so they don't fumble on the goal-line or miss gimmie field goals. That is player responsibility.

The coach also has to play the players who give them the best opportunity to win. Not take our best player off the field in crunch time like the 1st Jags game and Cardinals game. It would also help if we stopped forcing a square peg into a round hole (I.E. everything having to do with Chris Brown this season. MAYBE our 4th best RB?)

Chris Brown doesn't give us the best chance to win, yet we gave him the ball in crucial situations that contributed to 3 of our losses. That's on the coach for not getting the ball to a better player (like maybe that Andre Johnson guy?)

Lets not forget that we didn't sign Pollard until week 3 when our safety play was some of the worst in NFL history...

The coach also has to play the players who give them the best opportunity to win. Not take our best player off the field in crunch time like the 1st Jags game and Cardinals game. It would also help if we stopped forcing a square peg into a round hole (I.E. everything having to do with Chris Brown this season. MAYBE our 4th best RB?)

Chris Brown doesn't give us the best chance to win, yet we gave him the ball in crucial situations that contributed to 3 of our losses. That's on the coach for not getting the ball to a better player (like maybe that Andre Johnson guy?)

Lets not forget that we didn't sign Pollard until week 3 when our safety play was some of the worst in NFL history...

Or all the games where Kubiak and Kyle decided to pass on every down making the offense extremely predictable. That's putting your QB in a position to fail, which we consistently do at the end of games.

Even today we are passing on first down, running on second, passing on third down when we are up by 20-27 points in the fourth quarter. Just run the damn ball in this situation. Have these guys work the kinks out in a live game if you think this crew can get it done.

Odd when a coach doesn't have alot of trust in the running game, but then makes little change to the oline or running back situation in the offseason. Ex. 2006-2007 offseason. 2007-2008 offseason. I would include last offseason but the numbers were not that bad last year, even though it ALL came from one person. Probably should have thought, you know, that he may actually get hurt.

Or all the games where Kubiak and Kyle decided to pass on every down making the offense extremely predictable. That's putting your QB in a position to fail, which we consistently do at the end of games.

Even today we are passing on first down, running on second, passing on third down when we are up by 20-27 points in the fourth quarter. Just run the damn ball in this situation. Have these guys work the kinks out in a live game if you think this crew can get it done.

Odd when a coach doesn't have alot of trust in the running game, but then makes little change to the oline or running back situation in the offseason. Ex. 2006-2007 offseason. 2007-2008 offseason. I would include last offseason but the numbers were not that bad last year, even though it ALL came from one person. Probably should have thought, you know, that he may actually get hurt.

Holy Sh*t, are we really at the point where we critisize the 27 freaking point wins? Are you morons sniffing glue?

Joker,

I agree with you that this is the biggest issue with Kubiak. He's a little old school in wanting to rely on veterans. And, I think that is the main issue that has held them back. That being said, moving forward two good things can happen: he can learn from his mistakes, and the younger players can become veterans.

Joker,

I agree with you that this is the biggest issue with Kubiak. He's a little old school in wanting to rely on veterans. And, I think that is the main issue that has held them back. That being said, moving forward two good things can happen: he can learn from his mistakes, and the younger players can become veterans.

Only problem with that line of thinking is that's exactly what we've been hoping would be the end result of Kubiak's HC mistakes since he got here...

Yet we still see the same problems. 1-5 in the division aint gonna cut it.

Holy Sh*t, are we really at the point where we critisize the 27 freaking point wins? Are you morons sniffing glue?

You know, it's the same thing EVERY year. We pick up rather meaningless wins in meaningless December games. I don't care that we won this game by 27 points. It doesn't really matter. I'm watching to see if the problems that we have been suffering from all season are getting worked out. And they aren't.

I watch other football teams, that can actually run the ball when they need to. Teams that have balance in their offense. We don't have that. Sure we can beat a 5-7 Seattle team that is injury riddled, and really just bad in almost every facet of the game. But when it comes to beating our division opponents, or just games that we need to win PERIOD, we fail using the same formula almost every time.

I'm past the point where a 27 point win against a 5-7 Seattle team in a meaningless December game has me :clap: my hands.

Wins have been difficult this year... granted we aren't going to playoffs, so I have accepted that and I will just enjoy the win for what it is.. It sure the hell beats the hell out of the alternative, a loss. I don't know how Seattle beat the Jags 41-0 many moons ago.. I guess injuries and any given sunday

What I'm sniffing, you f-----g moron, is the $10,000 I've dropped on this mediocre team in the five years I've been a season ticket holder.

This was a bullshit win and you know it.

What I'm sniffing, you f-----g moron, is the $10,000 I've dropped on this mediocre team in the five years I've been a season ticket holder.

so you would take another loss instead?

I am not saying this wasn't a hollow victory in the grand scheme of things but wow

so you would take another loss instead?

I am not saying this wasn't a hollow victory in the grand scheme of things but wow

No, of course I don't want another loss. But I'm not ready to annoint Kubiak Coach of the Decade, either.

I was at the game. Usually, when the Texans win at home, there's screaming and hollering by fans as they're exiting the stadium and walking towards their cars. Today, it was as silent if there had been a loss.

Fans aren't dumb. We know this was an empty victory.

I am not sure who is anointing him coach of the decade either, but I might have to do a search on here

I just get the feeling that if it the Texans aren't in the playoffs, (and I am not saying it is you) but feels like people want the #1 pick in the draft then because there seems to be no in between , which I would want like everyone else wants .. playoffs

this should make for an interesting week here on the boards team kubes will come out and say look we won a game who cares if its meaningless we won
well i'm sorry a win against a lifeless seattle team is not enough to make me put my pink soap away but in typical kubes fashion he does his best coaching when there's nothing on the line!

Reactions: J_R

Someone needs a time out. Sit in the naughty corner please. Two days of no soup for u!

I enjoyed the big Seattle win.

===========

I will await the DVOAs before I decide if I think they played well. :sarcasm:

i thought the seahwaks were going to be a good team this year

and there no slouches they has the same amount of wins has us

Looks like the consensus is Kubiak is going to need a strong finish(though nothing we really didnt know). Take "strong finish" for what you want.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Source-Kubiak-could-be-back-with-strong-finish.html

According to the NFP's Michael Lombardi, sources close to the Texans told the National Football Post that Houston owner Bob McNair will not make any changes if the club can finish strong over the next four weeks.

The Texans have have struggled to close out games throughout the 2009 season, and have fallen out of the AFC playoff race, prompting Kubiak's job security to come into question. But, Kubiak can put to bed any rumors about his job if the Texans can show McNair that they are going in the right direction heading into the off-season.

5. From my sources in Houston, I’m told there’s a prevailing feeling that owner Bob McNair will not make any changes if the Texans can finish strong in their remaining four games.

6. But there’s no doubt that Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will join his father Mike, probably in Washington when he returns to coaching next year. Kyle is a very bright coach who will be his father’s offensive coordinator.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Sunday-at-the-Post-5526.html

and

It's that time of the year again. A definite chill in the air is warmed nicely by the spirit of fellowship and good cheer with the holiday season upon us and young folks everywhere with visions of sugar plums dancing in their heads. It all sounds so wonderful, unless you're an NFL head coach who finds himself perched perilously atop the ever-expanding bubble that signifies life in the NFL for the coaches who haven't won often enough, fast enough or big enough for today's "what have you done for me lately" team owners and fans.

The next group falls into the category of "would be gone today if the decision had to be made, but may be able to salvage their jobs in the coming weeks." Gary Kubiak of the Texans is on top of this list, followed by Carolina's John Fox and Raheem Morris of the Bucs. Everything I'm hearing is that as much as Texans owner Bob McNair likes Kubiak, anything short of winning his last four games will cost him his job. Following back-to-back 8-8 seasons and a 5-3 start this year, Kubiak has to prove he can take a meaningful step forward. Word on the grapevine is that, short of dropping three or all of their last four, Fox will survive to fight another season with the Panthers. Owner Jerry Richardson trusts Fox a great deal and feels his body of work merits that trust, and that Fox is as likely to turn Carolina's fortunes as any new coach would be. Morris has clearly demonstrated he's in over his head, but I'm hearing the Glazer family is stubbornly determined to try to prove its faith in the young man was justified.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/12/12/some-coaches-in-for-unhappy-holidays-2

What I saw today was a team playing its ARSE off for its coach. Everyone was fired up, everyone was aggressive, and everybody wanted blood. I have NEVER seen this defense that aggressive, or the offense that attacking. Even if it is "just the Seahawks", it's a HUGE victory. And to me it's a statement that Kubiak has NOT lost this team, and that they want him here. That makes me third-guess myself. I'm now holding off all "fire Kubiak" or "keep Kubiak" feelings until the end of the season. If this team plays for its coaches every game like they did today, then they should all stay.

What I saw today was a team playing its ARSE off for its coach. Everyone was fired up, everyone was aggressive, and everybody wanted blood. I have NEVER seen this defense that aggressive, or the offense that attacking. Even if it is "just the Seahawks", it's a HUGE victory. And to me it's a statement that Kubiak has NOT lost this team, and that they want him here. That makes me third-guess myself. I'm now holding off all "fire Kubiak" or "keep Kubiak" feelings until the end of the season. If this team plays for its coaches every game like they did today, then they should all stay.

Yeah, they're all coming out saying they dont want any other coach. I want Kubiak gone but expect him to be back.

You know, it's the same thing EVERY year. We pick up rather meaningless wins in meaningless December games. I don't care that we won this game by 27 points. It doesn't really matter. I'm watching to see if the problems that we have been suffering from all season are getting worked out. And they aren't.

I watch other football teams, that can actually run the ball when they need to. Teams that have balance in their offense. We don't have that. Sure we can beat a 5-7 Seattle team that is injury riddled, and really just bad in almost every facet of the game. But when it comes to beating our division opponents, or just games that we need to win PERIOD, we fail using the same formula almost every time.

I'm past the point where a 27 point win against a 5-7 Seattle team in a meaningless December game has me :clap: my hands.

I'm so tired of hearing how wins in December for this team have been "meaningless". Ask last year's Bears if our win was "meaningless". Every game matters. Saying games in December are "meaningless" is stupid. We're still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt. Are you going to quit and consider this an extended 2010 preseason? Or are you going to fight and hope for a lucky break somewhere?

The part about Kyle leaving to work with his dad makes me think that Kubes could have called all the plays today. I know Kubiak approves all calls, but he might have called something else then what Kyle had called. I didnt get to see the game either and someone said that Matt was able to audible at the line.

the best team in the league when nothing is on the line.

not labeling you as such, but I believe that's a pessimistic POV. if you truly think Kubiak and his staff can sprinkle magic dust on the team at the end of the season to churn up these so called easy wins, well...that's not the thinking of someone who is non biased.

not labeling you as such, but I believe that's a pessimistic POV. if you truly think Kubiak and his staff can sprinkle magic dust on the team at the end of the season to churn up these so called easy wins, well...that's not the thinking of someone who is non biased.
Pessimistic or realistic? There is no denying that each of the last 3 years the team rolled into week 14 with 5 total wins then "finished strong" when nothing was on the line each season.

Pessimistic or realistic? There is no denying that each of the last 3 years the team rolled into week 14 with 5 total wins then "finished strong" when nothing was on the line each season.

I won't deny that, but I think you are suggesting that somehow the HC can ready his team to play more than other weeks is just not very plausible.

These guys are pros and prepare the same each week. I would like wins at the beginning of the season too, but it's just a coincidence that we finish with wins late...IMO.

I know one thing, there are other teams in the league with similar records who don't seem to want to finish the season strong for their coaches/themselves!

6. But there’s no doubt that Texans offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan will join his father Mike, probably in Washington when he returns to coaching next year. Kyle is a very bright coach who will be his father’s offensive coordinator.

Well, good news may come after all. Sweet!

Silver Oak said:
the best team in the league when nothing is on the line.

If you ask me, pessimistic is believing that year after year mediocity is the best possible result and that nothing could have been done to make the team better.

I'm so tired of hearing how wins in December for this team have been "meaningless". Ask last year's Bears if our win was "meaningless". Every game matters. Saying games in December are "meaningless" is stupid. We're still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt. Are you going to quit and consider this an extended 2010 preseason? Or are you going to fight and hope for a lucky break somewhere?

Who cares if we eliminated the Bears from the playoffs last year? It means nothing to the Houston Texans and getting to the playoffs. Meaningless.

We are mathematically alive, but our chances are extremely slim. We have little chance even if we win out.

Glad we beat the 4th worst team last year who is 5-7 this year. Unhappy that we can't seem to get a running game going or commit to trying to get it going.

Uh....no. The game definitely had meaning for the Bears, but not us. What did we gain out of winning? A better record is the only thing.

Back