Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Kubiak Supporters: Why should he stay?

I like the wins, but this sh%t always happens when this team has no more playoff chances! This team should & could have played WELL the whole year, now it's too late! This team needs change in the coaching levels! I'm just tired of watching stupid/goofy football! The sad part is that Boss Hog McNair will keep Kubes & will see more of the same crapola next year, SIGH! I swear the fans in Houston are just a glutton for punishment & gets easily suckered by the GREEDY/ INCOMPETENT pro sport owners there!:roast: WAKE UP DIE HARD TEXANS FANS!

Well, good news may come after all. Sweet!

The OC that made us an offensive powerhouse? And coached Matt Schaub into an elite-tier QB? And OD into a Pro Bowl TE? And a receiver corps that is better than any other in the league? And you would consider him leaving "good news"?

:clown:

The OC that made us an offensive powerhouse? And coached Matt Schaub into an elite-tier QB? And OD into a Pro Bowl TE? And a receiver corps that is better than any other in the league? And you would consider him leaving "good news"?

Can anyone prove that Shanahan actually calls the plays here?

I won't deny that, but I think you are suggesting that somehow the HC can ready his team to play more than other weeks is just not very plausible.

These guys are pros and prepare the same each week. I would like wins at the beginning of the season too, but it's just a coincidence that we finish with wins late...IMO.

I know one thing, there are other teams in the league with similar records who don't seem to want to finish the season strong for their coaches/themselves!
This team has never won a game of any significance in 45 outings, but you are trying to sell me on the big Seachicken victory? I saw a shockingly bad Seahawk team out there today. Sure, I'm glad we have risen to one game under .500 and all, but Gary Kubiak is now in a no-win situation as far as how fans like myself perceive him. I don't think he will be able to change how I look at him until he can start beating good teams as well as the dregs of the league. He won't be able to prove that till next season when something is once again on the line. And lastly, I ain't buying into all that pie in the sky playoff talk for this year so save that for someone else if anyone wants to go there.

The OC that made us an offensive powerhouse (really good OC at that), coached MS into the QB that he is (not quite elite yet, thank you), and generally is responsible for the players' success on the offensive side is posing as a head coach, and should never have turned any of the playcalling duties over to Kyle Shanahan. Nothing against Shanahan, but this team should be fighting for its playoff lives, and sometimes on-the-job training does not meet that need.

Can anyone prove that Shanahan actually calls the plays here?

No one says who specifically calls the plays. Methinks that Shanahan calls them early, then Kubiak takes over in the second half. It would make sense why the halves are often completely different teams.

i thought the seahwaks were going to be a good team this year

and there no slouches they has the same amount of wins has us

I saw a few of their games earlier this year, I saw some good things from their defense, & was worried they would put it all together, & be playing well this year.

Obviously that is not the case.

One thing I was hoping everyone would see though, is that they did have the same 5-7 record as we did to start the day. Some people want to use that W-L to define the team, but if you watched the game, There was a big difference between the two teams on the field.

There was a good 5-7 team, and a bad 5-7 team. In years past, we were a bad team whatever our record was. Last year, we finally had enough talent that we could contend with any team in the league, IMHO on a talent level. This year, they are starting to put things together, & we're turning into a real team on both sides of the ball.

The OC that made us an offensive powerhouse (really good OC at that), coached MS into the QB that he is (not quite elite yet, thank you), and generally is responsible for the players' success on the offensive side is posing as a head coach, and should never have turned any of the playcalling duties over to Kyle Shanahan. Nothing against Shanahan, but this team should be fighting for its playoff lives, and sometimes on-the-job training does not meet that need.

I don't know about others on this board, but I watch a lot of training camp practices. And Kyle is the one out coaching the offense the most, while Kubiak is pacing the sidelines overseeing everything. The roles - at least in practice - seem to be distributed as they should. So yes, I think Shanahan is HUGE in actually COACHING this offense, not just a "trainee" or a "figurehead". It's the playcalling that Kubiak is having a hard time giving up. Losing him would be a blow. I don't know that it would be unrecoverable, but it would be big nonetheless.

I'm so tired of hearing how wins in December for this team have been "meaningless". Ask last year's Bears if our win was "meaningless". Every game matters. Saying games in December are "meaningless" is stupid. We're still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt. Are you going to quit and consider this an extended 2010 preseason? Or are you going to fight and hope for a lucky break somewhere?

+1 for truth.

I'm so tired of hearing how wins in December for this team have been "meaningless". Ask last year's Bears if our win was "meaningless". Every game matters. Saying games in December are "meaningless" is stupid. We're still mathematically alive in the playoff hunt. Are you going to quit and consider this an extended 2010 preseason? Or are you going to fight and hope for a lucky break somewhere?
If it does nothing for us, it means nothing to us. Who cares about the Bears?

reading the post-game quotes at ht.com basically reaffirms my opinion on kubiak. i watched every game this season and i can't pin any loss on the coaching. and that's basically why i think kubiak should get one more year. that and i think our team has improved every year since kubes has been the coach. we've had some shitty luck this year and just too many players effing up at the wrong time. **** happens, that's football.

I saw a few of their games earlier this year, I saw some good things from their defense, & was worried they would put it all together, & be playing well this year.

Obviously that is not the case.

One thing I was hoping everyone would see though, is that they did have the same 5-7 record as we did to start the day. Some people want to use that W-L to define the team, but if you watched the game, There was a big difference between the two teams on the field.

There was a good 5-7 team, and a bad 5-7 team. In years past, we were a bad team whatever our record was. Last year, we finally had enough talent that we could contend with any team in the league, IMHO on a talent level. This year, they are starting to put things together, & we're turning into a real team on both sides of the ball.

Well, TK, our 5-7 team couldn't beat the Jags on two tries.

And the 5-7 'Hawks beat the snot out of the Jags.

That kinda' blows the "good" 5-7 teams vs. the "bad" 5-7 teams theory out of the water as far as I am concerned.

Teams either muscle their way to the top of the food chain, where they battle it out with other top carnivores. Or they scurry and hide under a rock, waiting for something smaller than them to come limping by.

This Texans team ate another fellow bottom-feeder (the Seahawks).

I guess since we beat the Seahawks, we're better than the Jags (since the Seahawks beat the Jags)?

Bottom line: We're just average. Like everyone else who won't make the playoffs.

If it does nothing for us, it means nothing to us. Who cares about the Bears?

so to you, 9-7 & 5-11 is the same thing if you only had 5 wins before December?

Are you going to look at this team as if it were a 5-11 team next year?

In a strange kinda way that makes sense.

A coach should give his team an oportunity to win. The rest is on the players. Kubiak has consistantly put this team in position to win almost every game they have played. PLEASE don't tell me that he should have coached them better so they don't fumble on the goal-line or miss gimmie field goals. That is player responsibility.

Ok how about he should of done a better job of choosing his personell. Everyone with a hint of intellignence knows Brown isnt a short yardage back. And which gimme feild goals are you refering too? Not the 49 yarder against the Colts where Kubiak decided to line it up better instead of going for another yard or two to make it shorter for a kicker that had been strugleing I hope?

so to you, 9-7 & 5-11 is the same thing if you only had 5 wins before December?

Are you going to look at this team as if it were a 5-11 team next year?

In a strange kinda way that makes sense.

It's like this:

When a man forgets his wedding anniversary, and he gets scolded by his wife for it, he runs out the next day and gets her a beautiful piece of jewelry. He hands it to her, and she says "I like it. Thank you." BUt every time she looks at it, all she thinks is "How could he not remember our wedding date?"

If we're going to get subjective here, then so be it.

I could care less about rallying the team and winning the final games.

Three games are left: Rams, Dolphins, Patriots.

I predict 1-2 at worst, or 2-1 at best.

2-1, at best, means 8-8. To get to 9-7, we have to win all three games.

Seems it would have been easier on the Texans, and Gary Kubiak, if they could have gotten their act together earlier in the year and at the midway point of the year against our divisional opponents.

I don't buy this B.S. that Gary has put them in position to win and the players need to just come through to the other side. I see better, more effective play on our defense than on Gary's elite offense that he's been masterminding and fine-tuning for four years.

Gurry's getting his ass out-coached by his d-coord. Period.

EDIT: Gurry's getting his ass out-coached by his FIRST-YEAR, ROOKIE d-coord. Period.

reading the post-game quotes at ht.com basically reaffirms my opinion on kubiak. i watched every game this season and i can't pin any loss on the coaching. and that's basically why i think kubiak should get one more year. that and i think our team has improved every year since kubes has been the coach. we've had some shitty luck this year and just too many players effing up at the wrong time. **** happens, that's football.

This isnt a result of poor coaching in your opinion? Its ALL on the players? :choke:

I'm so tired of hearing how wins in December for this team have been "meaningless".
Then you might want to take a nap. Because the Houston Texans have won nothing but meaningless games in December since their inception.
I saw a shockingly bad Seahawk team out there today.
They were worse than the Raiders. At least the Raiders played with a little heart. The Seahags sent this one in UPS Red, as the game was over before the opening quarter had expired.

They were worse than the Raiders. At least the Raiders played with a little heart. The Seahags sent this one in UPS Red, as the game was over before the opening quarter had expired.

Couldn't agree more, in fact, I feel what we saw today was just a continuation of the same old BS. The offense failed to play 4 quarters of football. If our competition had continued to play, we'd have probably seen the typical fold by our team at the end of the game.

If you think the Seahawks are bad, you guys should have watched the Rams game today.

Wow.

Texans are taking a page from the Astros, unfortunately ...start slow and then work their tail off toward the end .. but Texans haven't realized that the NFL is a sprint and not a marathon

maybe the Comical needs to put an article in the paper on the 1st week of the season and put the Texans logo on it
tombstonepage.jpg

If you think the Seahawks are bad, you guys should have watched the Rams game today.

Wow.

Hah so you think we put up 40+ on St. Louis? Wait, nevermind. That is against Gary Kubiak's mentality.

Last edited:
Ok how about he should of done a better job of choosing his personell. Everyone with a hint of intellignence knows Brown isnt a short yardage back. And which gimme feild goals are you refering too? Not the 49 yarder against the Colts where Kubiak decided to line it up better instead of going for another yard or two to make it shorter for a kicker that had been strugleing I hope?

i'm so tired of hearing that arguement. every kick he missed up to that point he was lined up on one or the other hash mark's and kicked the ball straight and just barely missed. none of those kicks had anything to do with distance. the logical thing to do was to put the ball in the middle of the field so kris wouldnt have to worry about angling the kick. he is still having the same problem. he almost missed a short one today because he had to angle it. its about time for kris to go. that block today was on him as well.

Gary Kubiak will be back next year unless we just look pathetic our last 2 games. But even then I do not see Bill Cowher coming in. I still kind of feel like we made some progress this year. But next years schedule is not going to get any easier.

Meaningful games = ones that the Texans can win to qualify for the playoffs.

For some people when faced with not making the playoffs "meaningful" might mean preventing another team from making it. I guess that's you.

Truth is no mathematically we're still in the playoffs sure, but no matter what happened with the Miami/Jags game today the outcome was going to hurt us. Our staff should look at the Baltimore game, that's what a team does to step on the throats of a bad team.

Somebody make a play ....

Link

“We had a long talk, me and him personally, and it meant a lot, the things he said to me and the way he came at me,” Williams said after making six tackles, including three for losses. “Everybody's under the microscope, but at the end of the day, it's the players that play.

“I realized I need to give a better effort, not just for myself but for him. I don't want another coach here. I love Kubiak to death.”

In their conversation, Williams told Kubiak he knew he had been underperforming.

He refused to blame the shoulder injury that's bothered him since early in the season or the groin injury that slowed him in practice last week.

Tell it like it is
“I'm still way behind in the team's eyes and in my eyes,” Williams said. “A lot of times, the first person to be blamed is the coach, but it definitely shouldn't be that way, because eventually, it's going to come down to us.

“If we were to have somebody different, what are we going to say then if the same thing happens?”

They made a lot today ....

No pink soap for me.

Regardless of the nice win against a bad team, the game mismanagement at the end of the half points to more serious issues with this staff.:clown:

Regardless of the nice win against a bad team, the game mismanagement at the end of the half points to more serious issues with this staff.:clown:

Who the hell let's the foot off the gas in the second half like that seriously.. put them away keep your foot on the gas and keep going. Another playing not to lose half by Gary Kubiak, signed by Gary Kubiak..

:foottap:

I won't deny that, but I think you are suggesting that somehow the HC can ready his team to play more than other weeks is just not very plausible.

These guys are pros and prepare the same each week. I would like wins at the beginning of the season too, but it's just a coincidence that we finish with wins late...IMO.

Sounds pretty plausible to me. Looks like that's exactly how it happened.

Gary Kubiak stood in front of his players Saturday night and sliced open his soul. He dug down deep, into places he probably doesn't go that often.

He spoke of his love of football, of his players and of this Texans franchise. He told his players he hoped they appreciated the gift they'd been given and that they'd never take playing in the NFL for granted.

“I talked probably longer than I've ever talked,” Kubiak said.

He didn't pretend these are normal times. These last four games probably will decide his future with the Texans, and he let his players know he wasn't going down without fighting for both himself and them.

“It definitely hit me right between the eyes,” quarterback Matt Schaub said.

Kubiak isn't comfortable making things about him, but this month is about him. This isn't his usual mode of operation. After bad games, he accepts the blame. After good games, he deflects the credit.

Now things are different. Maybe he subconsciously wanted to make his fight for survival their fight. If so, it worked. The Texans jumped Seattle hard during a 17-point first quarter and rolled to a 34-7 victory Sunday afternoon.
Stars step up

They played with purpose and focus, dominated both sides of the ball, and, when they got control of the game, never let go. Kubiak's big players - Schaub, Andre Johnson, Mario Williams, etc. - played big.

Just proves that Kubiak can motivate a team when his back is against the wall, but not until then.

Just proves that Kubiak can motivate a team when his back is against the wall, but not until then.

I think he motivates them just fine for any given game. They came out fired up against the Colts. Then reality set in. I think the fact that we played the Seahawks has more to do with it than anything. He could have given that speech each time before 10 games vs. the Colts and we don't come out on the winning side more often than not. Would that make it a less motivating speech?

My theory on winning late games when you have no chance is as simple as playing loose. The coaches feel free to throw everythign out the window and go for broke. The players play less tight, knowing a loss won't kill them. The problem is how the Texans have been the middle games....the set up games for the stretch. That is when things are tough and tight. Kubes and the players have choked at those times. I refuse to sit here and act like a drubbing of one of the worst teams I've watched in years....Oakland earlier this year might have been worse....was this come to Jesus moment.

My comparision of Kubiak to Jeff Van Gundy still stands. Like Jeff, Kubiak
will play veterans in key roles IN SPITE of having a younger guy in there
who's flat out better. Remember Jeff Van Gundy sticking with Rafer Alston
when Aaron Brooks was a tougher matchup for defenses? Arian Foster
runs like Chris Brown with BURST, yet Kubiak allows him to languish on the
practice squad all year for no real reason.

Why did he JUST NOW start forcing the ball to Dre? It was the main reason
our offense was so wide open last year. When we're playing for nothing,
Kubiak stops micromanaging and allows the players to play. It's a huge flaw
in his coaching, and it's stunted the growth of this team. "Go with the
hot hand" is what Adelman does. It's what smart coaches do. Kubiak
just goes with vets because they're vets. He SHOULD go with the guy
having the better game, and put everyone on notice, that if they're having
a bad game, the guy playing better will be out there.

He didn't pretend these are normal times. These last four games probably will decide his future with the Texans, and he let his players know he wasn't going down without fighting for both himself and them.

“It definitely hit me right between the eyes,” quarterback Matt Schaub said.

Kubiak isn't comfortable making things about him, but this month is about him. This isn't his usual mode of operation. After bad games, he accepts the blame. After good games, he deflects the credit.

Now things are different. Maybe he subconsciously wanted to make his fight for survival their fight. If so, it worked. The Texans jumped Seattle hard during a 17-point first quarter and rolled to a 34-7 victory Sunday afternoon.

This is a huge problem.

When teams begin adopting their head coach's desparation, trying to win a few so their coach doesn't get fired, then they are playing for the wrong reasons.

They are playing to help THE COACH instead of helping themselves and their teammates. They are trying to help their COACH to not get fired instead of helping themselves from getting cut (or lessening their future contract $$$).

This, IMO, is the sign of a weak coach. He cannot get the team into position, via a good week-to-week, opponent-to-opponent strategy that takes advantage of the opponent's weaknesses. Nor can he develop and employ a consistently reliable gameday strategy of adjusting as the game moves along.

Instead, he pleads with them to ACT NOW! Before This Offer Expires! like some bad infomercial at 2 a.m. on the local stations.

Coaches who have "it" just find a way to get over the hump and do most everything with the intangibles that make a coach "great" instead of average. It's the same with players, too.

Once a coach starts in with the "Help me to help YOU" speeches, it's over.

at least most of them are talking about the game, the players and the coaches. You are getting to the point where most of your posts center around the posters.

Exactly what I was going to say. Thank you.

The posters are not on trial here. The millionaire "professionals" are.

we beat a really good seahawks team and got our first win in a month...i change my mind let kubes stay now omg!

/sarcasm

rollinstone18 said:
you soapers are already in midweek form on a Monday morning. :bravo:

no kidding, some folks need to get a life.

Just like every division loss in the recent four game skid strengthened the resolve of the pro-Kubiak pessimists club that he is the best coach for the Texans.

I noticed on the second TD drive, Schaub called TWO audibles. It was
the first game he's done so all year. Kubiak's desperation should have
been felt from week one.

I noticed on the second TD drive, Schaub called TWO audibles. It was
the first game he's done so all year. Kubiak's desperation should have
been felt from week one.

I noticed that too. Schaub definitely seemed in charge of the game in a way that I've never seen him.. With or without Kubiak next season, that is something I hope to see more of.

My comparision of Kubiak to Jeff Van Gundy still stands. Like Jeff, Kubiak
will play veterans in key roles IN SPITE of having a younger guy in there
who's flat out better.
Remember Jeff Van Gundy sticking with Rafer Alston
when Aaron Brooks was a tougher matchup for defenses? Arian Foster
runs like Chris Brown with BURST, yet Kubiak allows him to languish on the
practice squad all year for no real reason

Why did he JUST NOW start forcing the ball to Dre? It was the main reason
our offense was so wide open last year. When we're playing for nothing,
Kubiak stops micromanaging and allows the players to play. It's a huge flaw
in his coaching, and it's stunted the growth of this team. "Go with the
hot hand" is what Adelman does. It's what smart coaches do. Kubiak
just goes with vets because they're vets. He SHOULD go with the guy
having the better game, and put everyone on notice, that if they're having
a bad game, the guy playing better will be out there.

This is definitely an issue. I try not to make too much of it sense the Texans do have the youngest starting team in the NFL. So, it's hard to compare him to other NFL coaches since none of them start a more inexperienced team.

Kubiak should stay because his teams play so good in games that matter and because he performs so well in the division. I mean the guy almost has a .200 divisional record. Why should he stay? I cant even begin to count the reasons. He is a genius at inspiring his troops and his teams are so disciplined and don't get stupid penalties or do stupid things. Why not just resign the guy to a 10 year contract. He is winning 2 out of 10 divisional games...that is freaking awesome. Cowher can't even hold Kubiak's jock. Kubiak is a winner. yeah, he is a losing head coach but he coaches for us, so he is a winner and he just has to be the answer. screw looking at things like stats and trends and reality. He is a Texans head coach and is a local 'hero' so he has to be good. Logic and facts be damned.

how dare anyone question Kubiak. who knows maybe if we are patient he just may win 2 divisional games next year. that would be awesome.

i am so geeked up for next year. we are going to be so awesome. hooray for Big Game Gary.

I enjoyed the big Seattle win.

===========

I will await the DVOAs before I decide if I think they played well. :sarcasm:

lol! DVOAs are about as useful as QB ratings as they relate to getting into the playoffs. What next, tarot cards?

fortune-teller-anim-fortune-teller-zodiac-sign-smiley-emoticon-000545-medium.gif

Nice win, but like my 7 year old said yesterday, why don't they play like that all year? I told him because we don't have the Seahawks on our schedule for 16 games! :D

Back