Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

I'm rooting for the Texans to lose today

but if this teams loses the division, misses playoffs, and go into next season with OB and Hoyer. Think about that...

double whammy

This is what i believe will happen.. 6/7 wins a couple of cosmetic changes on the coaching staff and more Smith, O'Brien, and Hoyer.

I'm in full NYG (football) mode. Making it to the playoffs gives you a chance to go all the way. A team getting hot at the end of the season can do some damage.

I hear ya but if this team wins the division we go Into next season with OB and hoyer. Think about that.....

I've been saying, win or lose we're going into next season with OB & Hoyer. The best thing that could have happened for us was for Mallett to flash something-something to keep him as our starter.

OB had given up on Hoyer in week 1. Now he's got a second/third/fourth chance & OB is going to learn how to make it work with Hoyer. Even if it takes next year.

We're not drafting a QB next season. Hoyer will get the patience afforded rookies. & if it doesn't work, we'll spend a season & a half proving Savage out.

OB knows when a QB wont amount to anything so far he lucky cus

Teddy
Carr
Bortles
Johnny Football
Guappalo

aren't really lighting up the world

and I think half of those guys teams jumped in front of us to take half those guys
Carr is having a very solid season. 4 TD's no INT's today.OB saw very little difference between him and Savage

...Are we still a "QB away from a championship"? RB..Nope..TEs..Nope..OL...2/5? Brown (Hes getting up there)..Brooks? Maybe 3/5..Newton? WR...have 1 need 2? DT..Still..FS/SS...Man, Glover Quinn would be nice, no? ILB..Again..

Jesus christ, It all happened so fast..

It must be nice to believe in unicorns, fairy tales, and such..

(to think that this team is competing for anything more than draft position is fantasy)

Meaningless? That win was against a division opponent. We're a half game out of first place and the Colts have to play the Panthers. There was nothing meaningless about it at all.

OB knows when a QB wont amount to anything so far he lucky cus

Teddy
Carr
Bortles
Johnny Football
Guappalo

aren't really lighting up the world

and I think half of those guys teams jumped in front of us to take half those guys
Carr has been playing very well. You are just flat our wrong. We have a moronic coaching staff, I want them nowhere near the franchise QB we will be drafting this year.

I've been saying, win or lose we're going into next season with OB & Hoyer. The best thing that could have happened for us was for Mallett to flash something-something to keep him as our starter.

OB had given up on Hoyer in week 1. Now he's got a second/third/fourth chance & OB is going to learn how to make it work with Hoyer. Even if it takes next year.

We're not drafting a QB next season. Hoyer will get the patience afforded rookies. & if it doesn't work, we'll spend a season & a half proving Savage out.
I'm about to go to bed and you have just given me nightmares before I have fallen asleep. Halloween was last night. What you described is football hell.

So when he does draft a kid do you expect him to light up the world? I mean we gonna go Into year 3 with OB and if he does draft a kid how long do we wait on the kid and OB to get their **** straight? If anything OB has robbed us of two years

well I expect a Good QB to fall to us no matter were we pick and we might finally go QB round 1 since a lot of teams in the NFL now don't need a QB or wont get one in the 1st round so maybe the top 3 QB's will fall to us in the 1st or 2nd round

so next year I think we will be pretty set a QB with Hoyer Savage and Rookie going into TC

but hey lets just win the divison this year and make it to the SB and worry about the draft later :P

the only way we don't draft a QB next year is if hoyer wins the SB and even if he does im pretty sure no matter what we will be drafting a QB somewhere in the draft

...Are we still a "QB away from a championship"? RB..Nope..TEs..Nope..OL...2/5? Brown (Hes getting up there)..Brooks? Maybe 3/5..Newton? WR...have 1 need 2? DT..Still..FS/SS...Man, Glover Quinn would be nice, no? ILB..Again..

Jesus christ, It all happened so fast..

yes I agree we have holes every where IMO that's why rick needs to be shown the door

the only way we don't draft a QB next year is if hoyer wins the SB and even if he does im pretty sure no matter what we will be drafting a QB somewhere in the draft

I'm not seeing it.

We'll draft a TE, OT, or RB to help Hoyer.

I'm not seeing it.

We'll draft a TE, OT, or RB to help Hoyer.

Not funny tk.

ditka-stop-it-640x461.jpg

Not funny tk.

ditka-stop-it-640x461.jpg

I know it's not what we want to here, but I think OB is like some of us & believes the college game isn't preparing QBs for the NFL with the regularity it used to.

Think about what Chip Kelly has done. He gave it a go with a holdover QB in Foles. Then he traded him for one of the last true #1 overall type QBs. If anyone should be looking for a QB in next year's draft, it should be Kelly, but I bet he doesn't take one.

Then remember OB said there isn't much separation between the top 6 QBs on the board in 2014. He took the 6th QB in that draft. So if you like what you see out of Carr & Bridgewater, wait till you see Savage in 2016.

I thought we had to take a QB in 2014 when we had the #1 pick. I thought that again this year when we had crap at QB last year. I'm fully expecting Fitzpatrick/Hoyer #3 to be brought in and given the job once again next year.

I know it's not what we want to here, but I think OB is like some of us & believes the college game isn't preparing QBs for the NFL with the regularity it used to.

Think about what Chip Kelly has done. He gave it a go with a holdover QB in Foles. Then he traded him for one of the last true #1 overall type QBs. If anyone should be looking for a QB in next year's draft, it should be Kelly, but I bet he doesn't take one.

Then remember OB said there isn't much separation between the top 6 QBs on the board in 2014. He took the 6th QB in that draft. So if you like what you see out of Carr & Bridgewater, wait till you see Savage in 2016.

Considering his approach to qbs so far your probably right. Ob is/has been an ego maniac believing his offense is so superior he can plug in anyone and have success. Hopefully he's learned how faulty that is.

maybe u right tho maybe he does not believe in Rookie college QB's

Maybe we will get the hot F/a QB next year if there is one

I sure do wish that kid could get some reps this year. I guess at some point he'll be able to stay healthy.
He made the leap and barring the injury, I suspect he would have gotten a much closer look. But staying in the game is part of being elite. Miss a little, but don't make it habitual.

Considering his approach to qbs so far your probably right. Ob is/has been an ego maniac believing his offense is so superior he can plug in anyone and have success. Hopefully he's learned how faulty that is.

I don't know that he's learned that lesson. Looking at what we did yesterday, I think he's looking outside the QB position for our "problems"

If you watched the Patriots Thursday night, or the Dolphins against us two weeks ago, I think he's realizing he doesn't have the right skill guys out there. 10 yard passes turned into 50 yard scores. We don't have anyone who can do that. & it's not like Jarvis Landry is all that fast, or Gronk, or Edleman. They're good in space & they don't give up & they hold onto the ball.

I don't know that he's learned that lesson. Looking at what we did yesterday, I think he's looking outside the QB position for our "problems"

If you watched the Patriots Thursday night, or the Dolphins against us two weeks ago, I think he's realizing he doesn't have the right skill guys out there. 10 yard passes turned into 50 yard scores. We don't have anyone who can do that. & it's not like Jarvis Landry is all that fast, or Gronk, or Edleman. They're good in space & they don't give up & they hold onto the ball.
If he continues to get good production out of Hoyer, then I can see OB not wasting a pick on a qb in this year's draft.

I think OB is sticking with Hoyer with Savage as back-up.

May not be what I want, but oh well, no use getting upset over it anymore.

We're going QB in round 1 next year. Not a doubt in my mind. That will come directly from Bob McNair.

I'm not saying it will or won't solve our problems but McNair is going to call it and that's what Rick will do unless every damn QB worth looking at is taken before we pick. It remains to be seen whether O'Brain will get on board or not.

OB wants Hoyer to succeed so much in order to be vindicated. He won't want a QB in the draft. McNair and Smith will, because it is obvious to everyone that doesn't have a chin crater that Hoyer is not a long term option for this team. OB is going to ride the Hoyer pony back to the college ranks.

It must be nice to believe in unicorns, fairy tales, and such..

(to think that this team is competing for anything more than draft position is fantasy)

I know you don't want the Texans to be successful. You've made that clear enough times.

I don't think they'll win the division. I'm optimistic that this team is a pretty bad team at the end of the day. I'm just as optimistic that the rest of the teams in our division are pretty damn bad too. As a matter of fact, JUST AS BAD. The only one out of the three that has more talent is the Colts, and they've got a QB that could turn it on at some point. But right now, we're in it. God forbid, we actually try to enjoy a possible division run (Whether we win it or not) while this division stinks. There are 8 games left in the season, and I'd like to be able to enjoy watching football games that mean something. RIGHT NOW they still do based on the division standings. If you want them to lose so bad, then just come out and say so and stop acting like you want anything different. At least Marcus does that, and is up front about his desires.

We're going QB in round 1 next year. Not a doubt in my mind. That will come directly from Bob McNair.

I'm not saying it will or won't solve our problems but McNair is going to call it and that's what Rick will do unless every damn QB worth looking at is taken before we pick. It remains to be seen whether O'Brain will get on board or not.

Still don't see it. He drafted Savage a couple of years ago & so far, Savage looks like he's making good progress. I bet putting him on IR was to keep him from competing with Hoyer this season. But next year, we'll give the job to Hoyer. He'll most likely get yanked or injured & Savage will have a shot.

If it doesn't work out, then we'll get our QB in the 2017 draft.

I can't root for my team to lose. I'm just not wired that way. But, that said, beating the hapless Titans does absolutely nothing for me. It just means that the Texans are not as crappy as some other crappy team. Real world, that cat turd doesn't taste as bad as that dog turd. You still get a turd sandwich at the end of the day.

I'm not going to call out other Texans fans for the high-draft-pick and clean-house mentality of wanting a lost season to flush it all away. I get the perspective, so I'm not going to attack other fans for their choices and opinions. No fan deserves the scorn that is brought on by an abysmal garbage team.

Unfortunately, 0-16 won't change what might be the fundamental problem with this franchise, and that is an owner that doesn't know how to hire the right football people to run his franchise.

Unfortunately, 0-16 won't change what might be the fundamental problem with this franchise, and that is an owner that doesn't know how to hire the right football people to run his franchise.

I think after 12 years this is now painfully obvious. Not only does he not know how to hire the right people, it seems to take him a LOT longer than everyone else to realize that he has the wrong person/people in place. He holds on to bad personnel way too long.

I can see rooting for the Colts to widen the gap so all this, "We'll be one game out of first place" crap will stop.

Still don't see it. He drafted Savage a couple of years ago & so far, Savage looks like he's making good progress. I bet putting him on IR was to keep him from competing with Hoyer this season. But next year, we'll give the job to Hoyer. He'll most likely get yanked or injured & Savage will have a shot.

If it doesn't work out, then we'll get our QB in the 2017 draft.
I know this is not the popular opinion, but perhaps Savage was placed on IR because he was injured and BOB didn't want to face the tough choice of determining when it was too soon to use him verses giving him more time to heal. The decision was made and was FINAL for this season.

I can see rooting for the Colts to widen the gap so all this, "We'll be one game out of first place" crap will stop.

Well...you got your wish. We're not one game back. ;-)

Serious question though....would you rather make the playoffs at 7-9 or miss them at 10-6?

I always want the Texans to be successful. I always want the Texans to win. I always wanted the Oilers to win. It's quite easy to root for the team you support while calling it the trash pile it is. And the Texans are a trash pile that even the CDC doesn't want to approach. But I still want them to win.

Just think of it this way. Wouldn't it be nice if just once the zombies ate everyone? The asteroid really does kill everything? Satan wins?

I can know something like losing out is probably better for the team in the long run but I can't root for them to lose or genuinely be happy about them losing. I can schedule other things to do during the games if we're bad but I find myself looking at the score or trying to find a reason to wrap up whatever I'm doing so I can get home and see the end.

Ultimately I will be watching the game in some capacity and I don't want to watch the Texans lose. Can't do it. Not wholeheartedly.

I also can't believe that a team that makes it into the playoffs with a 7-9 record and gets run out in the opening round will proceed going into the next season as if everything is fine and they're on the right track. Maybe it's a fine line and I'm splitting hairs but I don't think McNair is stupid. I think he's slow and I think he's patient but I don't understand the train of thought that says McNair will let this team go into 2016 with Hoyer at QB. I think McNair knows perfectly well that this team needs a QB and I think that as long as the QB play stays in the same zone it's been in this season OB and Rick Smith see it too. With no Foster to depend on and no real reason to believe they'll get him back next year as the same player he was I think the Texans draft coming up will be very focused on offense and start with a QB.

I don't think OB or Rick will have any real say in that. At least nothing McNair wants to hear.

I always want the Texans to be successful. I always want the Texans to win. I always wanted the Oilers to win. It's quite easy to root for the team you support while calling it the trash pile it is. And the Texans are a trash pile that even the CDC doesn't want to approach. But I still want them to win.

If we start winning, all that changes.

I still think we've got lots of talent on this team. Enough to win. Our coaches need to get their heads out their butts & get this thing together. I wouldn't be surprised if we finish 6-2 over the second half of the season. Would have been nice if we were 4-4 right now, but it is what it is.

I can know something like losing out is probably better for the team in the long run but I can't root for them to lose or genuinely be happy about them losing. I can schedule other things to do during the games if we're bad but I find myself looking at the score or trying to find a reason to wrap up whatever I'm doing so I can get home and see the end.

Ultimately I will be watching the game in some capacity and I don't want to watch the Texans lose. Can't do it. Not wholeheartedly.

I also can't believe that a team that makes it into the playoffs with a 7-9 record and gets run out in the opening round will proceed going into the next season as if everything is fine and they're on the right track. Maybe it's a fine line and I'm splitting hairs but I don't think McNair is stupid. I think he's slow and I think he's patient but I don't understand the train of thought that says McNair will let this team go into 2016 with Hoyer at QB. I think McNair knows perfectly well that this team needs a QB and I think that as long as the QB play stays in the same zone it's been in this season OB and Rick Smith see it too. With no Foster to depend on and no real reason to believe they'll get him back next year as the same player he was I think the Texans draft coming up will be very focused on offense and start with a QB.

I don't think OB or Rick will have any real say in that. At least nothing McNair wants to hear.

Losing out is only good if you are assuming that we get a great player with our draft pick. With Rick Smith's history, I'm not certain of that at all. Him and OB have been a disaster together in the draft. I'm not sure how much it would matter at this point especially with there not being a major QB that is way better than the other top 3 or 4.

~Arnold did not betray his country since he was a British citizen by birth.~

Funny how the victors get to write history isn't it? If the Colonists would have failed at their rebellion against their country of birth then George Washington and company would have been the infamous traitors.

Funny how the victors get to write history isn't it? If the Colonists would have failed at their rebellion against their country of birth then George Washington and company would have been the infamous traitors.

Yep, and we'd be arguing in funny accents how offensive Old Glory is to us right now. ;)

Arnold's story is a little more complicated than the black and white version taught to us in elementary school that most folks remember. As always, nuances and shades of gray.

Sounds like a duck of the question.

If you don't want the team to make the playoffs, then it ultimately appears that you don't emwant to see any success for this team as long as OB is the coach.

The 2011 Texans would hang 100 pts on this team. I don't care about some goofy playoff scenario just because the rest of the AFC South sucks.

I believe that losing creates, or reinforces a culture of losing - in all cases. I'd rather not see the team give into that any more than may have already happened - in fact, I'd like to see them reverse it and surprise us (and maybe themselves) a time or two in the last half of the season. Draft picks and front office/coaching personnel be damned, I simply refuse to believe that answer to too much losing is even more losing.

Yep, and we'd be arguing in funny accents how offensive Old Glory is to us right now. ;)

Arnold's story is a little more complicated than the black and white version taught to us in elementary school that most folks remember. As always, nuances and shades of gray.

True, "Old Glory" would be considered offensive like the Confederate flag today. It would be stained with slavery and rebellion also.

Have you watched the series "Turn"? It has done a good job of depicting Arnold. I can't wait for the 3rd season to start.

The 2011 Texans would hang 100 pts on this team. I don't care about some goofy playoff scenario just because the rest of the AFC South sucks.

Then it is pretty clear that you just don't want to see the Texans get anywhere with OB as the HC of this team. You sang a completely different tune when Gary Kubiak went 9-7 in his third year after screwing up like 3 games for the team ruining their chances at the playoffs. You were filled with joy, and last season you scoffed at this team for improving from 2-14 to 9-7. It's pretty obvious that you don't want to see anything happen for the Texans at this point until they hire another HC that you approve of.

The Texans may be a bad team, and disappointing to watch this year, but that doesn't mean that they can't improve as they go on just like tons of teams historically have. I won't predict that to happen nor do I think it will, but I've seen much stranger things happen in the NFL. And if you can't get a little happy here and there when the Texans get a few breaks like every team stinking in the division and giving them a playoff chance, then I'm not sure what you're doing as a fan. Even in the years I was the most frustrated with Kubiak like that 9-7 season, I still desperately wanted them to make the playoffs. I still didn't want to see them fail at that if they had a chance to get in there and possibly make an upset or two.

Running off to some 2011 Texans team from 4 years ago to bash this team is saying what?? They had a better team in a previous season? Well woopty doo. So did a lot of teams in 2011. You talk as if you're used to rooting for some big time winner or something. The Texans had these seasons under Kubiak and under Capers. You rooted for them.

If you'd just admit your position, then the conversation is a lot easier as you can just discuss what draft picks you hope we can get. No point in discussing the team the rest of the season since you don't want to see us in the playoffs if we were to catch a few more breaks and end up there. You obviously don't want us to achieve anything by default even, so just state that we should tank like Marcus did.

Ever notice that loquacious is never mentioned as a positive?

Clearly you are still ducking the original question that was asked of you.

Why is it so hard for you to just explain why you don't want to see the Texans achieve anything under OB? You certainly wouldn't be the only lone wolf in that regard. Several other posters have decided that, and it is a lot easier to have a discussion when folks are clear about their position and aren't playing both sides of the fence. I understand the premise if you believe there is no way possible for the team to ever win a SB with the current HC, then so be it. That is the best long term solution if that were true. But don't sit here and act like you're invested into this team's success if you're secretly hoping they fail so they can get a new HC. That's weak if you come out and state it when it is clearly obvious in every thread. If that's your position, don't dodge the question. Just own up to that, and discuss why. Root for them to lose the rest of the season. Plenty of others are.

Back