Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

Man please. These players have to fit our scheme 1st. 2nd coaching will have to coach them up. This is an area that we have failed miserably since Bill O'Brien has been here. 3rdly we needed a cover type LB who will eventually replace Cushing.

Again for the thousandth time Rick wasn't the only one selecting these players we drafted . Bill O'Brien is on record saying it's a collaborative decision between all parties.

But hey this is just another one of your ways to put everything on Rick Smith.
You also have to be able to change the scheme to fit the players that you have. THAT is what makes Emporer Belichick such a great coach, along with his coordinators. Look at how poorly the Pats D was to start the season and look at where they are today. Granted, you can't coach "talent" and that's a huge issue with the Texans, outside of mostly superstars.

I can live with either method of hierarchy, GM picks coach or coach picks GM, as long as roles and responsibilities are clearly defined. The method the Texans employ guarantees a muddled view of who was "mostly" responsible for a particular pick or FA signing or re-signing/letting a particular player walk. I'm pretty sure cut players are on OB.

Pisses me off that Watson came out supporting O'Brien.

*sigh* we're never getting rid of this butt-chinned cancer
BO'b is hardly a butt chinned cancer. He has dealt with key injuries, bad fits at Qb, a lack of weapons in the beginning and he still was able to keep a rag tag team together long enough to go 9-7 three of four years and win the division twice. I don't care about the talk of our division being weak. It is still a solid accomplishment. The players as a whole would vouch for him if asked. Yes this season really sucked and BO'b played a role in our disappointment. However continuity is important and BO'b deserves to finish his contract and see where things go from there.

Lol. Chip Kelly's college gimmick system was just that a college gimmick system. The E-P system is an offense that's been run in the NFL for literally decades and has been proven to be effective by the likes of Brady & Manning among others; in other words, there are no comparisons between the 2.

& Belichick has been pretty much average as a GM. His saving grace for people not looking at his track record with more scrutiny has been that guy wearing number 12. This isn't to say that he hasn't been a great coach but The fact of the matter is he's had flops all over the place in the draft & alot of his FA acquistions have been questionable to downright bad save for a few that have been tremendous successes.
I'd have to add Belichicks ability (along with his coordinators) to adjust scheme for opponents strengths/weaknesses and talent available on his team. THAT, imo, is what makes Belichick a great coach.

I agree that Belichick has been average as GM, but by being able to buy the groceries he's become the greatest chef of all time.

He's a great coach," Belichick said during a conference call with Houston reporters. "I think Bill does a great job. He's an excellent play-caller and game-planner."

I don't think that was just lip service.

This is the kind of boiler-plate crap people say when asked to offer an opinion about someone or something they don't care about.

This is the kind of boiler-plate crap people say when asked to offer an opinion about someone or something they don't care about.
That's what Belichick says about every team he is about to face. No point in giving extra inspiration. Basically a non-starter, meh message. Take it for what it's worth.

If DW4 is on board than I am as well. You all should be.

sijM0NW.gif

Considering they worked together, I do think Belichick considers O'Brien to be a good coach. Otherwise he never would have hired him and promoted him. And it's not the only time Belichick has said good things about O'Brien.
http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...miration/fbce2171-a8db-46bd-8d23-c63623e90a8b

"I think the world of Bill,” Belichick said during a Monday morning conference call. “He did a tremendous job for me here. I can’t say enough about really everything with Bill; his personal qualities, how committed he is to his family, how committed he was to the football team, how hard he worked.”

Maybe I should be more cynical about people and just agree that Belichick is disingenuous. But I haven't gotten there yet. I just don't believe the GOAT NFL HC has to play mind games with his opposing HC, especially when the opposing team is just not that good.

I would imagine if O'Brien gets fired here Belichick would help his buddy get a gig somewhere else, if O'Brien even needs the help.

So why didn't Belichick make him permanent OC?

O'Brien left to Penn St. after he didn't get the role.

I think it's obvious, O'Brien isn't a good OC.

So why didn't Belichick make him permanent OC?

O'Brien left to Penn St. after he didn't get the role.

I think it's obvious, O'Brien isn't a good OC.

I don't know. I can only go by what he said, I don't know what's inside his head.

I believe Belichick. Again, I'm just not that cynical. I believe what Richard Sherman said about DW4.

It doesn't matter though. O'Brien will be fired and many Texans fans will rejoice. I don't think another HC is going to come in and save the day, though. So TBH, I really don't care at this point. I've had plenty of negative things to say about O'Brien this season. The only reason I'd like to see him stay for one more year is DW4. Rarely has frequently changing HC/OC early in a young QB's career helped him.

I don't know. I can only go by what he said, I don't know what's inside his head.

I believe Belichick. Again, I'm just not that cynical. I believe what Richard Sherman said about DW4.

It doesn't matter though. O'Brien will be fired and many Texans fans will rejoice. I don't think another HC is going to come in and save the day, though. So TBH, I really don't care at this point. I've had plenty of negative things to say about O'Brien this season. The only reason I'd like to see him stay for one more year is DW4. Rarely has frequently changing HC/OC early in a young QB's career helped him.

I think we desperately need someone who can build our roster. Depth seems to get worse every year.

Hate to say it but I think McNair will take a look at Jeff Fisher who recently argued he built the current Rams roster.

Obrien's press conference was pretty worthless. They asked him about the decision to pass not run on 3rd and 4th from the 1 and he said the run was getting stuffed. He said if the run hadn't worked, "you guys would be asking me why we didn't pass." He said you are having to make split second decisions and do what's best for the team. Looked like the local media were afraid to ask him the tough questions. Not running from the 1 down 10 points was ridiculous and it looked like he choked on the pass calls. He had 2 shots at it for 1 yard compared to Yates passing. Whatever, that is the same as him jamming Savage down everybody's throat as a real NFL quarterback. Did Obrien make the right decision? You make the call.

Obrien's press conference was pretty worthless. They asked him about the decision to pass not run on 3rd and 4th from the 1 and he said the run was getting stuffed. He said if the run hadn't worked, "you guys would be asking me why we didn't pass." He said you are having to make split second decisions and do what's best for the team. Looked like the local media were afraid to ask him the tough questions. Not running from the 1 down 10 points was ridiculous and it looked like he choked on the pass calls. He had 2 shots at it for 1 yard compared to Yates passing. Whatever, that is the same as him jamming Savage down everybody's throat as a real NFL quarterback. Did Obrien make the right decision? You make the call.
It really doesn’t matter what he called, as the offensive line is nothing short of atrocious. How any of those guys are considered starter material by the coaching staff is beyond me.

It really doesn’t matter what he called, as the offensive line is nothing short of atrocious. How any of those guys are considered starter material by the coaching staff is beyond me.

The line played their best game of the season today and running once in 4 tries from the one-yard line after you just jammed it down their throats was a terrible decision.

Yea, his pressers have been worse than usual lately. The media backs off when he gets an attitude and he gets one very quickly.

Yes it does matter. Lying down and not even trying because it is hard to do is complete chickencrap. We got next year to worry about and Obrien needs to be instilling strength not weakness in the team. If we are going to be the team we want the Texans to be, we have to give it our best shot. A team with character will not completely collapse because it is facing hardship. If the team says it doesn't matter because of the personnel it will just lead to more losing.

To be fair, Miller was wide open and TJ missed him big time. Sometimes it comes down to players executing. The play worked, the player was open, the defense didn't do anything that would have stopped it, the TD was there. It just wasn't executed.

To be fair, Miller was wide open and TJ missed him big time. Sometimes it comes down to players executing. The play worked, the player was open, the defense didn't do anything that would have stopped it, the TD was there. It just wasn't executed.

Well that's kind of the point. OB knew who he had in at QB and your run game was working great, why do you allow Yates to make that throw (3 times in a row). Just kind of silly.

Any chance the Texans could get this guy to coach here next year?:

View attachment 1956
Anyone defending him isn’t watching this game.

Agree 150 percent (if that's possible). Honestly, it was beyond sad.

Forgetting for a moment that 25,000 or more Steeler fans were there - which is insane to begin with - the Texans have alienated their fan base. They need a shake-up from top to bottom.

Somehow a message needs to get through to the McNairs that "we're mad as hell and aren't gonna take it anymore."

As bad as it could get with the Oilers, at least they were usually entertaining. This is worse.

Last edited:
Well that's kind of the point. OB knew who he had in at QB and your run game was working great, why do you allow Yates to make that throw (3 times in a row). Just kind of silly.

I get that, but if a guy is playing NFL QB, it means he can make simple little throws like that. Yates can make that throw, he just didn't.

I agree OB probably should have stayed on the ground, but I don't have a problem with a call that worked the way it was drawn up, but just wasn't executed.

I get that, but if a guy is playing NFL QB, it means he can make simple little throws like that. Yates can make that throw, he just didn't.

I agree OB probably should have stayed on the ground, but I don't have a problem with a call that worked the way it was drawn up, but just wasn't executed.

Yates wasn't even playing until we called him a few weeks ago, one could argue he isn't NFL caliber.

Yes it does matter. Lying down and not even trying because it is hard to do is complete chickencrap. We got next year to worry about and Obrien needs to be instilling strength not weakness in the team. If we are going to be the team we want the Texans to be, we have to give it our best shot. A team with character will not completely collapse because it is facing hardship. If the team says it doesn't matter because of the personnel it will just lead to more losing.

It's not weakness

It's lack of NFL quality talent.

Youy must not have sat and watched through the back to back 1-13 seasons... Bill Peterson was bad

and then there was Ed Biles, Chuck Studley and Hugh Cambpell... they made OB look like a genius

Yeah they all remember the LYB years where the teams was close .... and forget about the trainwreck that came after .... and how long it lasted.

Reactions: JB
Yeah they all remember the LYB years where the teams was close .... and forget about the trainwreck that came after .... and how long it lasted.

No, I haven't forgotten anything. (In fact, I was covering sports here after LYB.) Two points:

1) Campbell led to Moon which led to a string of good seasons and entertaining football.

2) McNair is only a more polished version of Bud Adams. And much more conservative. Adams would have shaken things up...of course sometimes in the wrong way. But at least he was willing to do something.

McNair just plays it safe. He's too content to stick with what he has. And in the case of Smith and O'Brien, it isn't much.

The fans have been more than patient for 16 years. They deserve much better.

No, I haven't forgotten anything. (In fact, I was covering sports here after LYB.) Two points:

1) Campbell led to Moon which led to a string of good seasons and entertaining football.

2) McNair is only a more polished version of Bud Adams. And much more conservative. Adams would have shaken things up...of course sometimes in the wrong way. But at least he was willing to do something.

McNair just plays it safe. He's too content to stick with what he has. And in the case of Smith and O'Brien, it isn't much.

The fans have been more than patient for 16 years. They deserve much better.

This post has so much truth in it.

Particularly your 2nd point.

As DB said, the fans are getting what they deserve for running Adams out of town, when all he wanted was what McNair got.

But at least the Oilers had years where they were one of the best teams in the league, in fact, in my opinion they played the greatest team of all times to their knees and beat them on occasions. The Oilers played in the best division in pro football for much of their career while the Texans have played in the worse division in pro football for much of their career. We've had fifteen years now and the best win was beating Cincinnati, in the playoffs, is that our standard now? The Oilers never had a 15 year stretch this bad, they had their ups and downs but their ups were off the charts better than anything we've had with the Texans.

Last edited:
Come on... let’s just be real here. Top 10 teams’ salary on IR.

1. Texans- $52M
2. Redskins- $51.9M
3. Cardinals- $49M
4. Colts- $44.4M
5. Dolphins- $44.3M
6. Bears- $42.6M
7. Giants- $42.5M
8. Seahawks- $42.2M
9. Patriots- $38.9M
10. Packers- $36M

Except for the Bears, all of those teams were expected to be playoff contenders this season. Only the Pats are currently in the playoffs. Extremely difficult for any HC in the league to be successful with this amount of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on... let’s just be real here. Top 10 teams’ salary on IR.

1. Texans- $52M
2. Redskins- $51.9M
3. Cardinals- $49M
4. Colts- $44.4M
5. Dolphins- $44.3M
6. Bears- $42.6M
7. Giants- $42.5M
8. Seahawks- $42.2M
9. Patriots- $38.9M
10. Packers- $36M

Except for the Bears, all of those teams were expected to be playoff contenders this season. Only the Pats are currently in the playoffs. Extremely difficult for any HC in the league to be successful with this amount of injuries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The axiom people like to quote about injuries not being a valid excuse for losing b/c "everyone" has injuries is right up there with the "you can't lose your job to injury"; Its utter nonsense. The fact of the matter is everyone does have injuries, but all injuries aren't equal..so comparing the loss of a special teamer's injury like Deonte Gray with that of JJ Watt's is stupid b/c 1 has next to no impact on the team's success. And looking at this list is proof of that.

Bill O'Brien is now 31-34, and currently 4-11 in this season. For most of that he has been in the weakest division in pro football. Kevin Sumlin went 51-26 and 7-5 in his last season in the toughest division in College Football. Sumlin gets fired and there are those actually talking about an extension for O'Brien. I haven't spoken to an Aggie fan yet that isn't excited about the new coach and next year and the fact that their program isn't going to accept the status quo if it means not competing at the highest level. It's ashamed the Texan's expectations aren't as high as the Aggies. I just don't see much to be excited about at this point, even with our new QB next year the team seems to be falling apart around him with the AFC South is getting better and our owner is content with the way things are.

Last edited:
Bill O'Brien is now 31-34, and currently 4-11 in this season. For most of that he has been in the weakest division in pro football. Kevin Sumlin went 51-26 and 7-5 in his last season in the toughest division in College Football. Sumlin gets fired and there are those actually talking about an extension for O'Brien. I haven't spoken to an Aggie fan yet that isn't excited about the new coach and next year and the fact that their program isn't going to accept the status quo if it means not competing at the highest level. It's ashamed the Texan's expectations aren't as high as the Aggies. I just don't see much to be excited about at this point, even with our new QB next year the team seems to be falling apart around him with the AFC South is getting better and our owner is content with the way things are.

I would say the coach gets an incomplete grade while the owner and GM get Ds . The Texans usually do well in the 1st round and struggle after that which means they have a lack of talent on an aging team . I also believe that Rick and Bob McNair told Bill they were going after Brock O and Bill had no say so in that matter ( see Ed Reed ) . Meanwhile they let Bouye walk and trade Brown , this on a team with no OL or CBs . McNair's marketing company who happen to own a football team is clueless .

lol ok....but "excitement" doesn't translate into actual wins it just makes you, the fanatic feel good. If Jimbo Fisher drops a few 7-5 seasons on Aggieland or worse, his #$@ is outta there too. The fact of the matter is fan bases whine b/c they think they have all the answers and the reality is they don't. Today's fans of Jimbo Fisher are yesterdays fans of Dennis Franchione, Kevin Sumlin and whatever hot coach they steal from a smaller program. Instead of praising A&M for making moves that may or may not work out just b/c they make you feel good, praise them for actually winning something.........you know, when they actually win something.

I would say the coach gets an incomplete grade while the owner and GM get Ds . The Texans usually do well in the 1st round and struggle after that which means they have a lack of talent on an aging team . I also believe that Rick and Bob McNair told Bill they were going after Brock O and Bill had no say so in that matter ( see Ed Reed ) . Meanwhile they let Bouye walk and trade Brown , this on a team with no OL or CBs . McNair's marketing company who happen to own a football team is clueless .
Aging team is not true actually. Houston had the 4th youngest roster this season behind the Browns, Rams, & Bengals. O'Brien had the highest scoring offense in the league with a rookie QB while he was healthy. That is good no matter how you slice it. O'Brien has made chicken salad with chicken sh*t since he got here at the QB spot, and we have gotten into the playoffs with those undermanned teams. This year was an injury fest that would have put any coach on his head. O'Brien should stay and grow with Watson in the offense. Smith should have been gone years ago for his performance, so hitting, what appears to be a home run with Watson, he will stay. ( Not sure who actually pushed this...put I am sure Smith will take the credit) Well our owner is here to stay, so get over it.

Aging team is not true actually. Houston had the 4th youngest roster this season behind the Browns, Rams, & Bengals. O'Brien had the highest scoring offense in the league with a rookie QB while he was healthy. That is good no matter how you slice it. O'Brien has made chicken salad with chicken sh*t since he got here at the QB spot, and we have gotten into the playoffs with those undermanned teams. This year was an injury fest that would have put any coach on his head. O'Brien should stay and grow with Watson in the offense. Smith should have been gone years ago for his performance, so hitting, what appears to be a home run with Watson, he will stay. ( Not sure who actually pushed this...put I am sure Smith will take the credit) Well our owner is here to stay, so get over it.

If RS finally gets the boot, O'Brien will not be far behind him since the new GM will probably want to select his HC unless O'Brien is invited and wins the new GM over during the interview process.

If RS finally gets the boot, O'Brien will not be far behind him since the new GM will probably want to select his HC unless O'Brien is invited and wins the new GM over during the interview process.

There are certainly many things to be critical of O'Brien about, especially play calling and in-game decisions. Judging by his press conferences, he would probably agree with this statement.

Beyond the game, though, things get murkier and much trickier to figure out because of the shadowy nature of this franchise and it's management structure.

While Watson could probably make a lot of OC's look good, we know he worked well with O'Brien.

What I'd like to see is O'Brien without the Rick Smith albatross tied around his neck.

Ok ... is it quality youth ?

Back