Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing Bill O'Brien thread

Cloak O'Brien is the current target. There seems to be a consensus that Smith is untouchable so I see the best chance the Texans have to improve going forward is a better head coach. My opinion is Smith is the bigger problem I think McNair should get rid of both of them but since that isn't going to happen at least there is a chance with O'Brien, considering the rumors circulating. And I get rose colored glasses, cult like fans, the Texans have got to love them, these guys are their heroes and they can do no wrong. But once again, how many mistakes does O'Brien have to make before we realize he's not ready for prime time. I've cited several articles about Bill "Big mistake of the Week" O'Brien, are those authors trolls too? Here are articles from CBS where one of which they are actually chronicling his mistakes as there are so many of them...

"O'Brien Game Management Mistakes Cost The Texans Again"
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/obrien-game-management-mistakes-cost-the-texans-again/
"Bill O'Brien Continues Game Management Issues In Third Year As Head Coach"
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/11...anagement-issues-in-third-year-as-head-coach/

You would think in his fourth season he would have learned from all of his previous mistakes but his "Biggest mistake of the week" moniker was inspired by headlines this year.

Who are those authors? Never heard of them and they appear to be blog writers meaning they are no different than you and I with our opinions. No credibility.

The patriots and Seahawks games weren’t all on OB. The players made mistakes and failed on the opportunities to close out the game. OB didn’t help, but he wasn’t the reason either.

And why is OB the target? If Rick Smith is untouchable I want that disfunction they have to remain. Why? So when this ship continues to go down hill Rick has a chance of being caught in it. 2020 is when his contract ends. Hire another head coach and he is guaranteed another extension. Extend OB and they may be both removed from their current positions if **** hits the fan. Rick pushed out or upstairs. OB gone all together.

You remove OB you get Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, or worse yet Jeff Fischer. And a Rick McNair extension.

The players like OB. He hasn’t lost the locker room.

And his replacement will be worse than what we have.

Here's the truth, ANY situation that leaves Rick Smith still in the captain's chair, is a situation I can't stomach. Just because you lucked out on some talent (That Bum Jr had a vast amount of input on (Watt), you had no other choices (Clowney=Consensus), Your guy wasn't on the board so you had to grab someone (Hopkins and Watson) and the list goes on. There's also the 2nd/3rd round talent that was reached for in Kareem, the MISS on Kevin Johnson, The miss so far on Fuller (probably more of a 2nd or 3rd round talent with the dropsies/injury issues). Lack of Oline talent, lack of secondary talent. Also notice we haven't had any real surprises in the 2nd through the latter rounds like most of your contenders do. He Let free agents walk that could have helped the team. The negatives far and above outweigh the positives and that GM chair needs a new resident.

I hate to say it as I've invested a LOT in Texans gear over the last 15 years, but I'd probably be done with this franchise until some major changes are made in the front office, and I'm a DIE HARD Houstonian.

Cloak O'Brien is the current target. There seems to be a consensus that Smith is untouchable so I see the best chance the Texans have to improve going forward is a better head coach. My opinion is Smith is the bigger problem I think McNair should get rid of both of them but since that isn't going to happen at least there is a chance with O'Brien, considering the rumors circulating. And I get rose colored glasses, cult like fans, the Texans have got to love them, these guys are their heroes and they can do no wrong. But once again, how many mistakes does O'Brien have to make before we realize he's not ready for prime time. I've cited several articles about Bill "Big mistake of the Week" O'Brien, are those authors trolls too? Here are articles from CBS where one of which they are actually chronicling his mistakes as there are so many of them...

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2017/09/25/obrien-game-management-mistakes-cost-the-texans-again/
http://houston.cbslocal.com/2016/11...anagement-issues-in-third-year-as-head-coach/

You would think in his fourth season he would have learned from all of his previous mistakes but his "Biggest mistake of the week" moniker was inspired by headlines this

You remove OB you get Lovie Smith, Marvin Lewis, or worse yet Jeff Fischer.

This is just sour grapes crap that OB defenders have taken to saying. There is zero reason to believe McNair won't pick an offensive HC (or maybe a defensive HC with a proven record if letting the OC have free rein) to guide Watson's development.

This is just sour grapes crap that OB defenders have taken to saying. There is zero reason to believe McNair won't pick an offensive HC (or maybe a defensive HC with a proven record if letting the OC have free rein) to guide Watson's development.
Like who?

This is just the sunshine and rainbows crap that people believe will happen as they ride their unicorns eating the rainbows the unicorns **** out believing McNair and Rick Smith will give them the HC they think is the best decision.

You have said In the past that Lovie Smith and Rick Smith share a connection and Lovie Smith could be our next HC.

Like Darrell Bevell, Josh McDaniels, Pete Carmichael or Frank Reich.

Wishful thinking a zero reason to believe they would actually go after one of these prospects.

Those are just the hot names that are out there. It doesn’t mean McNair and Rick Smith wouldn’t bring us Marvin Lewis.

Please no Josh McDaniels. His tenure at Denver was similar to O'Brien's here: QB carousel, drama, horrible roster decisions.

I hope they look at an up and coming coordinator, but I think McNair might feel burned and go with someone with extensive HC experience (Lewis, Fisher)

Here's the truth, ANY situation that leaves Rick Smith still in the captain's chair, is a situation I can't stomach. Just because you lucked out on some talent (That Bum Jr had a vast amount of input on (Watt), you had no other choices (Clowney=Consensus), Your guy wasn't on the board so you had to grab someone (Hopkins and Watson) and the list goes on. There's also the 2nd/3rd round talent that was reached for in Kareem, the MISS on Kevin Johnson, The miss so far on Fuller (probably more of a 2nd or 3rd round talent with the dropsies/injury issues). Lack of Oline talent, lack of secondary talent. Also notice we haven't had any real surprises in the 2nd through the latter rounds like most of your contenders do. He Let free agents walk that could have helped the team. The negatives far and above outweigh the positives and that GM chair needs a new resident.

I hate to say it as I've invested a LOT in Texans gear over the last 15 years, but I'd probably be done with this franchise until some major changes are made in the front office, and I'm a DIE HARD Houstonian.
-Watson was Rick's pick the whole time; in fact he went to the championship game and talked about him making all the throws
-Wade did have input on Watt; in fact, Rick wanted Aldon Smith so you are right there
-Fuller hasn't been awful; he was good with Watson and the first couple of games last year(back to back 100 yard games)
-Yes, Kjo has been a big bust but arguably the only bust Rick has ever had in the first
-Yes, screwed up with FAs(signing them and letting Quin, Brooks, Bouye go)

You would think in his fourth season he would have learned from all of his previous mistakes but his "Biggest mistake of the week" moniker was inspired by headlines this year.

theses "articles" are a joke & im sure you didn't read either of them. The guy prefaces 1 with saying there are "several" reasons why the Texans lost those games yet the remainder of the article he tries to convince readers why the losses should be laid at OB's feet; complete contradiction.

2nd, what this guy is calling "game management issues" are really just differences in strategy that could've just as easily worked in our favor (as many of them did) or had no impact on the game whatsoever. Decisions OB made that in real time were actually quite reasonable albeit somewhat conservative, but on their faces had no more impact on the win or loss of the games than any number of failed 3rd down conversions throughout any given game that could've extended drives. For instance, he cites a challenge OB lost in the Pats game that costed them a TO later in the game as a "bad" challenge however later in his "analysis" says OB should've actually won the challenge..Well if you believe that he should've won the challenge, wasn't it a worthwhile challenge for him to make from the get go moron?

Furthermore, if you believe that you're going to get a new HC in here (most likely a re-tred) that won't make the majority of these conservative strategic decisions in real time that you and this idiotic author are calling "game management mistakes", then there's nothing else we need to talk about you're a lost cause.

Wishful thinking a zero reason to believe they would actually go after one of these prospects.

Those are just the hot names that are out there. It doesn’t mean McNair and Rick Smith wouldn’t bring us Marvin Lewis.

Frank Reich is mentioned in the same rumor as marvin lewis, but hey let's keep focus on the more negative portion.

-Watson was Rick's pick the whole time; in fact he went to the championship game and talked about him making all the throws
-Wade did have input on Watt; in fact, Rick wanted Aldon Smith so you are right there
-Fuller hasn't been awful; he was good with Watson and the first couple of games last year(back to back 100 yard games)
-Yes, Kjo has been a big bust but arguably the only bust Rick has ever had in the first
-Yes, screwed up with FAs(signing them and letting Quin, Brooks, Bouye go)

Uhh no. See Amobi Okoye

This is just the sunshine and rainbows crap that people believe will happen as they ride their unicorns eating the rainbows the unicorns **** out believing McNair and Rick Smith will give them the HC they think is the best decision.

The hirings of Kubiak & OB say you're wrong.

You have said In the past that Lovie Smith and Rick Smith share a connection and Lovie Smith could be our next HC.

Nope.

Wade & Smith wanted Patrick Peterson and had a deal in place to go get him. When he was taken they discussed whether to go ahead with the deal and take Aldon Smith. They agreed not to. So they stayed put and took JJ who they agreed on at that spot. Wade was very clear about this.

Classic example of folks trying to give too much credit/fault to one person. They worked in concert throughout.

Not really sure what McNair would bring us but the last time he went looking for a head coach he did bring us O'Brien and he was in fact one of the hot names out there at that time. Now whether he deserved to be or that was accurate is open for debate but he was a desirable head coach candidate when McNair hired him.

Not really sure what McNair would bring us but the last time he went looking for a head coach he did bring us O'Brien and he was in fact one of the hot names out there at that time. Now whether he deserved to be or that was accurate is open for debate but he was a desirable head coach candidate when McNair hired him.

Though the process sucked. He interviewed two people, the other was Lovie Smith only to satisfy the Rooney rule.

They need a real interview process this time.

The average NFL head coach lasts barely 4 seasons. Half the NFL head coaches have lasted 3 seasons or less. Head coaches with a losing record after 4 seasons and 4-11 in their last year... you can figure what kind of leash other franchises would have. But Texan fans just don't seem to expect as much as others, so I guess in that sense we get what we deserve. There have been many head coaches make the conference championship game in their first four years just during the Texans history. Our head coach is 4-11 in his fourth year and there's been talk about an extension... amazing.
If you don't allow for unforeseen circumstances than you are terribly unfair. Under the unforeseen circumstances, "key injuries," this season,I think BO'b should have the luxury of at least coaching our team through at least the first half of the last season of his contract. If on the first three or four games of next season the team is blown out and seems to have given up on BO'b than by all means BO'b should be dismissed.

Houston Texans: Simply, a reckoning is coming here. I’d be floored if O’Brien even considered signing an extension without changes to the way the football operation is aligned, and 2018 is a contract year for him. That would create a decision point for ownership—go forward for a year with a coach that would be the No. 1 guy on the market if free, or cut the cord now and move forward with GM Rick Smith.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/12/28/n...mmqb&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Ricky does give in to BO'b because if he didn't Os would have still been with our team, we would not have had to part with a first and second round pick , our record would probably be no better and we could get two difference makers in next seasons draft and we still would have gotten our Franchise Qb this season.

CBS? Those links are straight from the Texans Radio 610 brain trust (the local CBS affiliate) which has a history of towing and protecting the "company line," ragging O'Brien, and always letting Smith and McNair slide and remain unaccountable.
So does that negate the mistakes that BO'b has continually made?

Texans are 18 points away from having the worst defense in franchise history.

Fire O'Brien!!!
/s

This is an interesting comment. I can't remember how many times people on this board has given O'Brien zero credit for when the defense was good but now that the defense is bad it's all his fault. The same sentiment exists when people speak of Watson. Watson is good in spite of OB. Now if OB stays and Watson hits the sophomore slump like Dak Prescott did this year I know OB will be blamed by many on this board.

There are a lot of criticisms OB deserves. The defense collapsing is not one of them. They're without 2 top pass rushers and they allowed their best DB to walk on over to a division rival. Those are 3 huge pieces missing and a brand new DC to boot.

Ricky does give in to BO'b because if he didn't Os would have still been with our team, we would not have had to part with a first and second round pick , our record would probably be no better and we could get two difference makers in next seasons draft and we still would have gotten our Franchise Qb this season.

Only a 2nd round pick was involved with Oz. How are you involving a 1st?

...and a brand new DC to boot.

Which is an OB decision that hasn't worked well. Didn't even look smart - move the most successful coach on the team.

Lewis has two 4 win seasons with the Bengals.

Just stop already. You are embarrassing yourself.
BWHAHAHA embarrassed myself for making a simple suggestion. Good grief some of yall be on some silly ****. Its a sports damn blog. And I said his last 7 years.

Bill O'Brien hasn't done a damn thing either. We are back to square damn one. And you're talking about an embarrassment.

In most cases, games are a team sport...win or lose...but, in O'Brien's case he's had the opportunity to dictate an outcome based on the tools at his disposal; play-calling, situational personnel and time-outs.

Based on the fact that O'Brien has made some rather bad decisions with games on the line, consecutively, for the past four seasons...it makes it more difficult to stand behind him in the hopes that the light finally goes on in tough situations in year five. The fact that O'Brien is not at fault for how a game came down to his strategic decision options is irrelevant...at that crucial moment he must have clarity to see what's needed to help the team secure a victory.

I'm only going to use one example to make my point; time running down against the Patriots and Tom Brady on the sideline...no sane HC in the NFL would want to give the ball back to TB with time on the clock. Now O'Brien knows full well that his OL is somewhat questionable in the run game when it counts in short yardage situations. I'd bet every opposing HC knows O'Brien's "MO" in this situation is to run the ball between Martin and Su'a-Filo. O'Brien didn't think after the first try that going to a different call might improve his chances of getting a first down...no, he was more than determined to run Miller 3 times to the same spot. It didn't even dawn on him that if that's the play you're going to run come hell or high water, then maybe you might want to throw opposing defenses a curve ball and put Foreman on the field with a play-action that might help keep that defense on their respective heels....especially with Watson under center. He ran the same series of plays that he's done with every QB he's had on this roster. After four years of bad situational decisions and a division that is no longer a push over....it's probably time to move on from O'Brien.

As some have mentioned on this forum, O'Brien has had major input into the draft as well as FA acquisitions sine he's been here...for this reason and almost for this reason alone, I could justify the team finding a new HC...but the rational side of me knows better than to think O'Brien was pulling the personnel strings...and for this reason and this reason alone, I'd fire RS as well.

Now, O'Brien did say, "I only coach the guys I am given" leads me to believe that he's had little to no input into personnel decisions. Remember, he made this statement after he got back from vacation and found out that Osweiler had been signed. Of course, he did change his tune to the company rhetoric later but that first statement is the one that sticks with me.

Who told him to say it's a collaborative decision then. Does this means he's a liar. Because he's on record of saying that as well.

Funny how we only pick certain statements to believe in around here.

Last edited:
This is an interesting comment. I can't remember how many times people on this board has given O'Brien zero credit for when the defense was good but now that the defense is bad it's all his fault. The same sentiment exists when people speak of Watson. Watson is good in spite of OB. Now if OB stays and Watson hits the sophomore slump like Dak Prescott did this year I know OB will be blamed by many on this board.

There are a lot of criticisms OB deserves. The defense collapsing is not one of them. They're without 2 top pass rushers and they allowed their best DB to walk on over to a division rival. Those are 3 huge pieces missing and a brand new DC to boot.

O'Brien is the head coach, he is ultimately responsible, the buck stops there. Injuries are a legitimate point, just as playing in the weakest division is. Everything should be taken into consideration. Even with the injuries this shouldn't be the worse defense in franchise history something has gone wrong besides the injuries.

O'Brien is the head coach, he is ultimately responsible, the buck stops there. Injuries are a legitimate point, just as playing in the weakest division is. Everything should be taken into consideration. Even with the injuries this shouldn't be the worse defense in franchise history something has gone wrong besides the injuries.

Dude, get real. It's amazing we won any game once Deshaun and most of our starters went down. The "Next man up" was never going to happen this year. Houston set the record for players seeing the field due to injuries. We hit as much bad luck as possible and it isn't O'Brien's fault no matter how much you want it to be.

Who are those authors? Never heard of them and they appear to be blog writers meaning they are no different than you and I with our opinions. No credibility.

Then why is it when I did a Google search those articles came right up and I didn't see your opinions anywhere. I'll trust Google's judgement on credibility over yours, they seem to be pretty successful at what they do.

The patriots and Seahawks games weren’t all on OB. The players made mistakes and failed on the opportunities to close out the game. OB didn’t help, but he wasn’t the reason either.

Of course, the players are supposed to be the reason you lose games. Bill "Biggest Mistake of the Week" O'Brien should not be. It's one thing for a db to get beat or a qb to get intercepted, but your head coach making stupid mistake after stupid mistake shouldn't be happening in his 4th season.

And why is OB the target? If Rick Smith is untouchable I want that disfunction they have to remain. Why? So when this ship continues to go down hill Rick has a chance of being caught in it.

If you can guarantee Smith going too next year than sign me up. I just don't think he will ever go so why not try and get a better coach sooner rather than later.

The players like OB. He hasn’t lost the locker room.

No one knows what the locker room really thinks, how often do you see a locker room come out against an existing head coach. Where would the players be if the coach came back.

Last edited:

We'll never really know what happened in 2014 with Garapolo and/or Bridgewater & what led to the Oz signing. Maybe Bob wanted either of those guys & Smith just committed a serious gaffe twice in trying to wait for those guys to fall so as to get those guys at the right value for the pick. Obviously we know what happened, we were jumped by Minny & NE. In that regard it casts the Oz signing last year as a panic move by Smith when McNair & probably BoB started getting on Smith's ass for missing out in 2014 & not selecting a qb high in the draft for 2015. Which is in turn is what set the stage for Smith to do the complete opposite of what he'd done in the previous drafts when he moved up to make sure he got his hands on Watson.

Or..........

Maybe it was the opposite where BoB didn't like or couldn't decide on any qb worthy of taking high in the drafts in his eyes. Smith finally pulled his trump card & told daddy Mcnair and recieved Mcnair's blessings to forget about BoB's thoughts....go get the best available FA you can find.........which was actually Romo at the time & why rumors began to swirl about him signing with us. But then he retires, Oz was the fall back plan & out of sheer desperation to fulfill McNair's orders, Smith threw ridiculous money at him to get him to sign. Of course once that didn't work out, Smith still under orders from McNair did what he needed to do to get rid of Oz and then got aggressive in the last draft to get either Watson or Mahomes...either way he moved up to make sure he was getting one of them.

The latter gives too much credit to Smith though.

Only a 2nd round pick was involved with Oz. How are you involving a 1st?

Which is an OB decision that hasn't worked well. Didn't even look smart - move the most successful coach on the team.
My bad. I got mixed up. I am all for almost whatever it took to get DW4. However BO'b's insistence on us getting rid of Os because they got into a verbal spat and RS relenting was pure BS. There is no way we lose both a first and second next season without the powers that be being idiotic at best.

We'll never really know what happened in 2014 with Garapolo and/or Bridgewater & what led to the Oz signing. Maybe Bob wanted either of those guys & Smith just committed a serious gaffe twice in trying to wait for those guys to fall so as to get those guys at the right value for the pick. Obviously we know what happened, we were jumped by Minny & NE. In that regard it casts the Oz signing last year as a panic move by Smith when McNair & probably BoB started getting on Smith's ass for missing out in 2014 & not selecting a qb high in the draft for 2015. Which is in turn is what set the stage for Smith to do the complete opposite of what he'd done in the previous drafts when he moved up to make sure he got his hands on Watson.

Or..........

Maybe it was the opposite where BoB didn't like or couldn't decide on any qb worthy of taking high in the drafts in his eyes. Smith finally pulled his trump card & told daddy Mcnair and recieved Mcnair's blessings to forget about BoB's thoughts....go get the best available FA you can find.........which was actually Romo at the time & why rumors began to swirl about him signing with us. But then he retires, Oz was the fall back plan & out of sheer desperation to fulfill McNair's orders, Smith threw ridiculous money at him to get him to sign. Of course once that didn't work out, Smith still under orders from McNair did what he needed to do to get rid of Oz and then got aggressive in the last draft to get either Watson or Mahomes...either way he moved up to make sure he was getting one of them.

Oz happened because McNair came out after the playoff game and told the world that we needed/were going to fix the QB position. Smith and O'brein agreed to OZ because they had to do something besides hoping on career back-ups and Tom savage.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...media-for-first-time-after-ugly-playoff-loss/

Or..........

I think the loss of the second round pick is strictly on BO'b. Which was due to the fight BO'b and Os got into. BO'b should have tried to work past that and kept Os one more season. To now lose both first and second round picks on the same season to the same sorry team is inexcusable. I am not sure of the scenario in regards to Garoppolo and Bridgewater but I would venture to say that both coach and GM could not come together and so to me the blame is on both.

I think the loss of the second round pick is strictly on BO'b. Which was due to the fight BO'b and Os got into. BO'b should have tried to work past that and kept Os one more season. To now lose both first and second round picks on the same season to the same sorry team is inexcusable. I am not sure of the scenario in regards to Garoppolo and Bridgewater but I would venture to say that both coach and GM could not come together and so to me the blame is on both.

you're the only person that is a fan of the Texans that wanted to keep Oz past the 1 season he was here.

Then why is it when I did a Google search those articles came right up and I didn't see your opinions anywhere. I'll trust Google's judgement on credibility over yours, they seem to be pretty successful at what they do.

Of course, the players are supposed to be the reason you lose games. Bill "Biggest Mistake of the Week" O'Brien should not be. It's one thing for a db to get beat or a qb to get intercepted, but your head coach making stupid mistake after stupid mistake shouldn't be happening in his 4th season.

If you can guarantee Smith going too next year than sign me up. I just don't think he will ever go so why not try and get a better coach sooner rather than later.

No one knows what the locker room really thinks, how often do you see a locker room come out against an existing head coach. Where would the players be if the coach came back.

Ha! I guess if it’s on the internet it’s true to you. I don’t subscribe to that. Lol.

I will concede the fact that OB does make bone headed time-outs and play calls. But that wasn’t why we lost those games. In New England had someone caught an interception it would have ended the game. There were at least two fumbles the Texans didn’t jump on. In Seattle a pick six and a weak defense let that game go. Russell Wilson driving down the field at the end of fourth? Cmon. That’s not on OB. That’s weak ass defense. KJohnson namely. And another interception by Watson in the fourth.

If Rick is not going anywhere, then he is pulling the strings and he isn’t going to hire the best or someone who could challenge him. He is going to hire a yes man to continue to solidify his position.

Watson has come out twice in support. Clowney once. I don’t think that was lip service.

He really did not make a compelling argument...

The came on to say Hurricane, injuries, first losing season, great relationship with Watson.

Lance ate him up and said bad relationship with GM and Watson doesn’t need anybody.

I think lance booked a weak interview just to get his point across.

If Rick is not going anywhere, then he is pulling the strings and he isn’t going to hire the best or someone who could challenge him. He is going to hire a yes man to continue to solidify his position.

Well, maybe we can agree on this? What ever Bob and Rick decide to do in regard to O'Brien will be the wrong move... I mean can't we at least count on that at this point.

Saw this tweet. Assuming it is true and too lazy to fact check

Ouch

FYI: #Texans coach Bill O'Brien's four-year record against playoff teams entering week 17: 4-17. Could finish at 4-20 depending on what happens with Ravens, Titans and Seahawks this weekend.

Interesting point. I've never thought about the Osweiler trade in this context. I keep reading that Smith and O'Brien do not get along or Smith intentionally handcuffed O'Brien or sabotage the roster to get O'Brien fired. If that was the case, wouldn't Smith have kept Osweiler on the roster? If Smith can Jedi trick O'Brien into not starting Watson, didn't shore up a terrible OL and made him believe Savage was NFL ready. Why didn't he just keep Osweiler on the roster?

Reactions: JB

Vrabel was probably going to leave had he not been promoted. This year has been growing pains for a new DC. Too early for me to say if it was right or wrong to have promoted Vrabel. Also, I don't think it was O'Brien's decision to promote RAC to Assistant HC which left that void at DC. That seems to be a move the Executive VP of Football Ops would make not a HC. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I'm not going to lose sleep if O'Brien is fired. I only think you and others are being way too unfair in blaming him for everything wrong with this team. Everyone in the organization has a job to do and from my viewpoint very few (including O'Brien and Rick Smith) have done their jobs well this season. That starts at ownership and trickles all the way down to the players.

Saw this tweet. Assuming it is true and too lazy to fact check

Ouch

FYI: #Texans coach Bill O'Brien's four-year record against playoff teams entering week 17: 4-17. Could finish at 4-20 depending on what happens with Ravens, Titans and Seahawks this weekend.

That's why so many of us keep beating the weak AFC South drum. At 9-7 in one of the weakest divisions of all time, I don't think we would even be having this conversation if he had coached in a good division. He would have never won a division and had a losing record going into this year. It's not his fault he was lucky but with all the games played outside the division, isn't it obvious he sucks against good teams. He's the master at taking out the trash and padding stats in garbage time but you are what your record says you are and he's 4-17 against better teams according to Wolf's post.

Vrabel was probably going to leave had he not been promoted.

Then let him leave. You don't promote your best coach into gopher.

Also, I don't think it was O'Brien's decision to promote RAC to Assistant HC which left that void at DC. That seems to be a move the Executive VP of Football Ops would make not a HC. Am I wrong in thinking that?

I think so. The playcalling problems we're plain to see. OB had already taken playcalling away of his own accord. I see no reason to interject outside command without evidence.

I'm not going to lose sleep if O'Brien is fired. I only think you and others are being way too unfair in blaming him for everything wrong with this team.

I'd prefer RS be fired along with OB. But I don't believe he is responsible for all ills either. Eg everyone going off on the OL. We built a damn fine OL while RS was GM. One of the best. What he woke up one day and decided not to give a fu@k? - the day after OB arrived. And I don't believe he is some evil plotter trying to get OB fired

That's why so many of us keep beating the weak AFC South drum. At 9-7 in one of the weakest divisions of all time, I don't think we would even be having this conversation if he had coached in a good division. He would have never won a division and had a losing record going into this year. It's not his fault he was lucky but with all the games played outside the division, isn't it obvious he sucks against good teams. He's the master at taking out the trash and padding stats in garbage time but you are what your record says you are and he's 4-17 against better teams according to Wolf's post.

That's been a Texan tradition from day one . They would be 6-8 and beat two bad teams to get to 500 and hope for the next year was beaming , only to be average again . They changed coaches and are doing the same exact thing so what does that tell you ?

Exactly. This was the real reason he was traded, not Romo.

Ever since Obrien has gotten here, we have been very careless with picks. The organization has not valued them properly.

you're the only person that is a fan of the Texans that wanted to keep Oz past the 1 season he was here.
With Os this season I doubt we turn out any worse this season than last. One more season with him as a third stringer would not have hurt us in the least. I'd rather stomach Os one more season than give up a valuable draft pick to part ways with him.

Let's see how everybody feels when the Browns make their pick with what should have been our pick. I am all for doing what we did to get our Qb. However we in no way should have been put in the position of giving up both a first and a second round choice in next seasons draft.

Last edited:
Interesting point. I've never thought about the Osweiler trade in this context. I keep reading that Smith and O'Brien do not get along or Smith intentionally handcuffed O'Brien or sabotaged the roster to get O'Brien fired. If that was the case, wouldn't Smith have kept Osweiler on the roster? If Smith can Jedi trick O'Brien into not starting Watson, didn't shore up a terrible OL and made him believe Savage was NFL ready. Why didn't he just keep Osweiler on the roster?
I never have bought into the "RS has all the power argument. Savage was supposed to be better than he was and it was supposed to take longer for DW4 to take over. I feel RS was fine with BO'b starting the season with whoever he wanted at Qb. With a poor O-line DW4 was never supposed to start when he did. However DW4 got his shot and never looked back until his season ending injury.

I don't think Os was let go simply because he sucked. There is more to it than that. Like you I also feel that had RS really wanted to ruin BO'b, Os would have been the QB to start the season while DW4 learned on the sidelines.

No matter what you may hear from the media in regards to the trading of OS, I think you are hearing wrong. The decision to part with Os was strictly on BO'b due to the blow up they had in the locker room. BO'b could not let anybody question his authority because if he did he would lose his players respect. I am sure that was BO'bs thinking in regards to that situation.

In every relationship there is give and take and I am sure it is no different with BO'b and his relationship with RS. I don't think the two men care much for one another but the dynamics of their relationship allows for both men to have a say in the power structure. There is no way to know where the blame goes in regards to both men. Only Bob McNair, RS and BO'b know what is going on behind the scenes. The media like to think they know but they know no more than you, me or anybody else on the outside looking in.

Back