Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clarify New England did not let Trent Brown leave because he was a prima donna. It was strictly a salary cap issue. they had almost no money to spend towards the huge contract he ended up with. IMO a trade up to get Dillard would mean he has to start by game 3. I know I'm The Lonesome Cowboy here but Dillard is not an automatic starter over Davenport. Of the two, Howard would be my preference to sit behind Davenport and learn. I also think Howard like Davenport is more likely to progress in this offense with Devlin as our coach. I also have nothing against signing free-agent starters and then drafting there replacement. If the cap allows that would be the way to go in most scenarios. There are few college players that should be day 1 starters. Despite that some are forced to.
The prima donna comment was specifically for Antonio Brown, Le'Veon Bell and OBJ. I agree that signing FAs to hold a spot for a rookie is a good idea as long as that FA isn't the highest paid in the league, with a multiyear contract, holding that spot. That is how teams get in cap hell. I see Dillard and Howard about the same. Neither is ready to play week one but both are very athletic. Both are a bit of project with very good upside. Maybe we're getting to see a little Moneyball with the Davenport, Howard and Scharping picks.

Well, I agree. There is no guarantee. That's why paying big money for other team's free agents is so risky. Of course draft picks can also bust, we know that very well. But at least players on rookie contracts are pretty cheap for several years, and then the team has the option of extending them.

If Dillard doesn't work out, it sucks but it's not going to kill the team, and if Dillard does work out you have a cheap starting LT for a long time. A $66 million bust is a lot more harmful. And even if Trent Brown is decent you're not getting much excess value above $66 million.

Everyone talks about how the Texans should go for it while Watson is on a cheap rookie deal because that gives us more money to spend elsewhere. Well that logic applies to every other position. A cheap LT playing at a pro bowl level also provides excellent value and savings we can spend elsewhere.
Surely you are not saying that Dillard with 0 snaps in the NFL is going to be a pro bowler over Trent Williams who actually started left tackle for the Super Bowl champions? I do agree if Brown or a rookie start successfully at left tackle I would prefer a cheaper contract than 66 million dollars. We have little info to say how Dillard or Howard for that matter will do in the NFL. We do have lots of info saying just the opposite for Trent Brown.

Surely you are not saying that Dillard with 0 snaps in the NFL is going to be a pro bowler over Trent Williams who actually started left tackle for the Super Bowl champions? I do agree if Brown or a rookie start successfully at left tackle I would prefer a cheaper contract than 66 million dollars. We have little info to say how Dillard or Howard for that matter will do in the NFL. We do have lots of info saying just the opposite for Trent Brown.

I'm talking Brown, not Williams. I would bet Dillard's upside is much higher. We pretty much know what Trent Brown is going to be. At this point he's unlikely to get much better.

I would much rather pay up for Williams who is an elite player IMO.

I'm talking Brown, not Williams. I would bet Dillard's upside is much higher. We pretty much know what Trent Brown is going to be. At this point he's unlikely to get much better.

What makes you think Dillard's upside is greater, outside "talking head" opinions and the Iggles trading up for him. Air Raid tackles tend to perform poorly at the NFL level.

What makes you think Dillard's upside is greater, outside "talking head" opinions and the Iggles trading up for him. Air Raid tackles tend to perform poorly at the NFL level.

Well from his scouting reports, from the fact that he was a consensus first round pick, but also from the fact that Trent Brown, 7th round pick has never made a pro bowl and was just adequate last year

Well from his scouting reports, from the fact that he was a consensus first round pick, but also from the fact that Trent Brown, 7th round pick has never made a pro bowl and was just adequate last year
Scouting reports!!! :spit::spit::spit:

What does anything about Trent Brown have to do with anything in the 2019 draft? Why do you think that an OT, out of an Air Raid system, known to be a liability at the NFL level, will be better than a small school candidate with very good athleticism. Concensus is a stupid reason to do much of anything that matters. Concensus is in the realm of where to eat or what to watch. Trivial things.

What does anything about Trent Brown have to do with anything in the 2019 draft? Why do you think that an OT, out of an Air Raid system, known to be a liability at the NFL level, will be better than a small school candidate with very good athleticism. Concensus is a stupid reason to do much of anything that matters. Concensus is in the realm of where to eat or what to watch. Trivial things.

We were talking about giving massive contracts to average players vs drafting first round talent. I would rather do the latter. In general I think it's a more proven way to build a good team.

We were talking about giving massive contracts to average players vs drafting first round talent. I would rather do the latter. In general I think it's a more proven way to build a good team.
I'm 100% about building through the draft.

This is why trading back (adding picks) to maximize talent pool and moving around your assigned slots to guarantee selecting best fit for need and system is so important. Standing pat and taking best avail puts limits on your process.

This is why trading back (adding picks) to maximize talent pool and moving around your assigned slots to guarantee selecting best fit for need and system is so important. Standing pat and taking best avail puts limits on your process.
It takes two to tango. Trading up minimizes your opportunities

The Raiders & Browns are the perfect argument that players care about money first. Doesn't matter what your chances of winning a Super Bowl are. Pay more than the next guy & they'll come.
and it's going to be interesting seeing if those mercenaries thrive in their new environments
...and if they're worth those mega-checks

:popcorn:

I inadvertently typed Williams but meant Trent Brown who started LT his first year with Patriots ending in a Super Bowl. You seriously think Dillard's upside is higher?

Trent Brown is good enough to start at left tackle for a year, even in a year the Pats win another SB, but not good enough to be called a franchise left tackle because he's reportedly not even gonna play on the left side for the Raiders after scoring that very expensive contract from them in this years free agency.

I inadvertently typed Williams but meant Trent Brown who started LT his first year with Patriots ending in a Super Bowl. You seriously think Dillard's upside is higher?

Well it was his fourth year in the league and even if he was a starter on a super bowl team doesn't mean he was an elite player. He was above average. He was a 7th round pick who has never made the pro bowl. Two teams have already been ok with him leaving. SF traded him for a third round pick.

And first round picks generally have high ceilings. Wouldn't be crazy to project him into an eventual pro bowler. Of course the flip side is his floor is lower. He could bust whereas with brown you can be pretty confident he'll be at least average if not much more.

Here's pff on brown:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...iots-lt-trent-brown-but-is-he-worth-the-money

Raiders to sign former Patriots LT Trent Brown, but is he worth the money?
BY MICHAEL RENNER
MAR 11, 2019

USATSI_12035785.jpg
Jan 20, 2019; Kansas City, MO, USA; New England Patriots offensive tackle Trent Brown (77) against the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

When the Oakland Raiders handed offensive lineman Trent Brown a record-breaking deal that made him the highest paid left tackle in the NFL, they did it for one reason: security. They want Derek Carr or whoever is behind center to not have to worry about the blindside. Just because they paid a high price though, doesn’t necessarily mean it will come true. Don’t get me wrong, Trent Brown’s improvement over the past couple of seasons has been inspired, but he still has a very long way to go until he’s mentioned in the same breath as the league’s best pass protectors.

Trent-Brown-1024x574.png
Among all offensive tackles that played at least 800 snaps in the NFL last year, Brown’s pass-blocking grade ranked 37th. It’s impressive that he was able to play at such a high level on the left side after playing right tackle the three years prior in San Francisco, but that’s not exactly an inspiring number. Of those 49 qualifying tackles, his 33 pressures allowed ranked 33rd. Those numbers simply aren’t close to elite production. While that certainly represents an upgrade over Kolton Miller who was in the bottom three of both those categories, they aren’t close to elite.

It’s worth noting that those numbers also come in one of the most favorable schemes in the NFL for linemen. Tom Brady’s quick release combined with offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia make life easier on offensive linemen. The same cannot be said for offensive line coach Tom Cable whose lines have ranked in the bottom three in terms of pass-blocking grade in each of the past four seasons. Brown has immense physical talent, and he’ll likely be better at left tackle in year two at the position, but this move hasn’t secured the blindside in the way the money would suggest.

Well it was his fourth year in the league and even if he was a starter on a super bowl team doesn't mean he was an elite player. He was above average. He was a 7th round pick who has never made the pro bowl. Two teams have already been ok with him leaving. SF traded him for a third round pick.

And first round picks generally have high ceilings. Wouldn't be crazy to project him into an eventual pro bowler. Of course the flip side is his floor is lower. He could bust whereas with brown you can be pretty confident he'll be at least average if not much more.

Here's pff on brown:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/ne...iots-lt-trent-brown-but-is-he-worth-the-money

Raiders to sign former Patriots LT Trent Brown, but is he worth the money?
BY MICHAEL RENNER
MAR 11, 2019

USATSI_12035785.jpg
Jan 20, 2019; Kansas City, MO, USA; New England Patriots offensive tackle Trent Brown (77) against the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC Championship game at Arrowhead Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-USA TODAY Sports

When the Oakland Raiders handed offensive lineman Trent Brown a record-breaking deal that made him the highest paid left tackle in the NFL, they did it for one reason: security. They want Derek Carr or whoever is behind center to not have to worry about the blindside. Just because they paid a high price though, doesn’t necessarily mean it will come true. Don’t get me wrong, Trent Brown’s improvement over the past couple of seasons has been inspired, but he still has a very long way to go until he’s mentioned in the same breath as the league’s best pass protectors.

Trent-Brown-1024x574.png
Among all offensive tackles that played at least 800 snaps in the NFL last year, Brown’s pass-blocking grade ranked 37th. It’s impressive that he was able to play at such a high level on the left side after playing right tackle the three years prior in San Francisco, but that’s not exactly an inspiring number. Of those 49 qualifying tackles, his 33 pressures allowed ranked 33rd. Those numbers simply aren’t close to elite production. While that certainly represents an upgrade over Kolton Miller who was in the bottom three of both those categories, they aren’t close to elite.

It’s worth noting that those numbers also come in one of the most favorable schemes in the NFL for linemen. Tom Brady’s quick release combined with offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia make life easier on offensive linemen. The same cannot be said for offensive line coach Tom Cable whose lines have ranked in the bottom three in terms of pass-blocking grade in each of the past four seasons. Brown has immense physical talent, and he’ll likely be better at left tackle in year two at the position, but this move hasn’t secured the blindside in the way the money would suggest.
And he will play right tackle for the Raiders. The highest paid OL is now a RT.

Maybe Carr can switch to Southpaw?

But I thought that didn't matter since teams still scheme and plan as though their QB was right handed? At least that was basically the argument I heard to discount Howard's time as a RT guarding a lefty QB as being the same as playing LT. I would have thought guarding a QBs blindside was the main point but I guess not.

But I thought that didn't matter since teams still scheme and plan as though their QB was right handed? At least that was basically the argument I heard to discount Howard's time as a RT guarding a lefty QB as being the same as playing LT. I would have thought guarding a QBs blindside was the main point but I guess not.

depends on who is talking

And he will play right tackle for the Raiders. The highest paid OL is now a RT.

Probably the best RT, who can also play LT if Miller gets hurt or performs poorly.

Lets see how well Carr is protected next yr. Cable is on the clock.

Have never seen so much bitching and complaining by folks on this Board about our offseason so figure the menstrual hygiene products vendors are liking it over
during the 2018-19 offseason.

If Caserio gets here... Could he scrap O'Brien?

You might be right...but Cal could. After BG was fired OB made a comment that Cal looked at everybody in the FO and he gave them his expectations. OB said Cal laid out areas he needs to improve on. In the Corporate world that’s the first sign of death. I believe with the roster changes and a healthy DW Cal is serious about his expectations(wish we could know what they were but I’m guessing one is insuring DW is using all his playmakers). Ever hear his a Dad go there? I wouldn’t underestimate that guy yet.

If Caserio gets here... Could he scrap O'Brien?

You might be right...but Cal could. After BG was fired OB made a comment that Cal looked at everybody in the FO and he gave them his expectations. OB said Cal laid out areas he needs to improve on. In the Corporate world that’s the first sign of death. I believe with the roster changes and a healthy DW Cal is serious about his expectations(wish we could know what they were but I’m guessing one is insuring DW is using all his playmakers). Ever hear his a Dad go there? I wouldn’t underestimate that guy yet.

I got double vision.

If Cal is as impatient as reports say he is, O’Brien might be next in line. I’m sure Caserio and Easterby know a few guys that could probably do a better job than O’Brien anyway. Maybe McDaniels can be persuaded to jump ship? That’s assuming they’re still trying to be like the Patriots once O’Brien gets the boot.

And totally unexpected. Came into the offseason with plenty of cap room and a full compliment of draft picks.

And here they are. If someone had predicted this I would have laughed my arse off. Got to laugh to not cry, now.

This is what a clusterfvck looks like.

Hopefully Gaine hit on Howard being a LT. This would solve alot of issues,

How many more days until the Texans either win the division or clinch a wildcard spot and then lose in the first round? I am excited this same discussion next again next year. Not.

How many more days until the Texans either win the division or clinch a wildcard spot and then lose in the first round? I am excited this same discussion next again next year. Not.

This has been the only constant in the Texans org since their inception and they refuse to change the way they go about acquiring players and as I've said many times before until this changes you can expect more of what we've seen the last 17 yrs.

This has been the only constant in the Texans org since their inception and they refuse to change the way they go about acquiring players and as I've said many times before until this changes you can expect more of what we've seen the last 17 yrs.
They've had the players to win, just not the coaching.

Quite shocking isn't it given that less than 20% of HCs ever win a SB.

One of those HC's won a SB the next yr after he left.

Why, because his new team had a different model than the Texans org. They built an all time great defense through trade/FA/Draft and did it in 2 yrs. One before Kubiak was there and supplemented what they had previously done the 1st yr Kubiak was there.

2 orgs with totally different mindsets/philosophies. 1 wins a SB, the other is still tripping over their d!cks.

One of those HC's won a SB the next yr after he left.

Which you said would never happen.

You're right not everything is coaching. Your wrong to say then it's ownership. And we have such a perfect example. 2011 Jacoby Jones fails dooming the Texans. 2012 Jacoby Jones makes a key play to lift the SB champions.

Which you said would never happen.

You're right not everything is coaching. Your wrong to say then it's ownership. And we have such a perfect example. 2011 Jacoby Jones fails dooming the Texans. 2012 Jacoby Jones makes a key play to lift the SB champions.

And I was wrong, that defense lead by Wade (Who wasn't even Kubiak's 1st choice for DC) was able to overcome Kubiak's conservative nature.

Truth is we will never know how good that team could've been, but if that's your shining star of an example for the Texans org way will lead to a championship, then that's just plainly sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back