Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your guide to the seven hottest seats in the NFL entering the 2019 season. By @ConorOrrhttps://t.co/8y7SlYSESU pic.twitter.com/IxGRnWYhWK

— The MMQB (@theMMQB) June 19, 2019

The Belichick Disciple Experiment in Houston
Another thing that starts a clock on someone? Winning a power struggle, which is seemingly what happened (again) with Bill O’Brien in Houston. He’s now the acting general manager, piloting the ship without a GM. Nick Caserio isn’t coming (yet), and the team fired a seemingly quality GM a year into a long-term contract. If the Texans take a step back this year, with Deshaun Watson soaring into a second contract, does it make sense that the blame may be directed toward the last man standing? To be clear, I think O’Brien’s offense has made strides with Watson under center and the addition of two young offensive tackles that fit the scheme should also help. But … a season that doesn’t end with a playoff win over an opponent not quarterbacked by Connor Cook will make six straight for the franchise.

That’s what I was driving at. Both had great success at being terrible.

Is OB average? Yes. Does he have holes in his coaching game that should have been closed after 5 years? Yes.

But "terrible" is difficult to transition from an emotive opinion to a credible performance assessment.

In terms of wins, division titles, playoff appearances, etc. there is data that shows he is average at worst. We as Texans fans may say it hasn't been enough, that we want more than average, but terrible is simply based on an expectation that may or may not have been realistic.

I'm not sure that you would find anyone who works in the NFL that would agree with the assessment that OB as a head coach is the same as Millen as a GM.

Is OB average? Yes. Does he have holes in his coaching game that should have been closed after 5 years? Yes.

But "terrible" is difficult to transition from an emotive opinion to a credible performance assessment.

In terms of wins, division titles, playoff appearances, etc. there is data that shows he is average at worst. We as Texans fans may say it hasn't been enough, that we want more than average, but terrible is simply based on an expectation that may or may not have been realistic.

I'm not sure that you would find anyone who works in the NFL that would agree with the assessment that OB as a head coach is the same as Millen as a GM.

I agree and I think a lot of it comes to the fact that people forget that this franchise is only 16-17 years old and has had more success that many far older. This in turn comes from the Oilers being here but it wasn't like the Oilers just changed their name but all the infrastructure was in place. The Texans had to completely start from scratch and frankly I think they have come a long way in a very short amount of time.

Part of that was their receiving corps was depleted. Losing Fuller then Thomas really hurt them.
Fuller missed the first game of the season. He started the next 7 games.
When Fuller went down, the Texans were able to bring in Thomas right away. He started 7 games.
(It's not often that a team can bring in a veteran WR like that.)
The Texans won the last game of the season (Jags) without either one of them - because the Jags were a big mess.

Fuller missed the first game of the season. He started the next 7 games.
When Fuller went down, the Texans were able to bring in Thomas right away. He started 7 games.
(It's not often that a team can bring in a veteran WR like that.)
The Texans won the last game of the season (Jags) without either one of them - because the Jags were a big mess.
If Fuller and QT could have stayed healthy last year, it would have been a much different offense.

What is O'Brien good at? Where does he NOT have holes in his coaching ability?

The Texans had to completely start from scratch and frankly I think they have come a long way in a very short amount of time.

I agree with that, but I thought we were talking about BO'b.

There's a list around here of teams thought to be a challenge to New England for the AFC title in 2019. I joke that the Texans was named on that list. At the very bottom of the list but on the list none the less.

But the truth is wouldn't be favored to beat any of the teams on that list at home. & no, I don't think talent is our issue. The problem, imo is on the sidelines.

I agree with that, but I thought we were talking about BO'b.

There's a list around here of teams thought to be a challenge to New England for the AFC title in 2019. I joke that the Texans was named on that list. At the very bottom of the list but on the list none the less.

But the truth is wouldn't be favored to beat any of the teams on that list at home. & no, I don't think talent is our issue. The problem, imo is on the sidelines.

I don’t disagree but I would take that list with a grain of salt as it looked like a random twitter poll. If it was a poll of NFL experts I would be more interested in the results, a poll of whatever joe blow reads it, not so much.

And I thought the part about unrealistic expectations referred to the Texans overall but even if it referred just BoB by those standards KC should have thrown Reid out on his ass as well because before last year he sucked as bad as BoB with a much better QB.

While probably not the place for it, this brought to mind something I read this morning...

Why Deshaun Watson will be fantasy's No. 1 QB in 2019

link

As long as they are including stats for "holding onto the ball too long because he can't make reads quick enough", "crumbling in the face of a blitz" and "getting sacked"....i'd pick Watson #1 in fantasy football too.

As long as they are including stats for "holding onto the ball too long because he can't make reads quick enough", "crumbling in the face of a blitz" and "getting sacked"....i'd pick Watson #1 in fantasy football too.

In his rookie season he was exceptional at reading the defense quickly and decisive. Last season he was trying to be the hero because his main weapon were depleted with injuries. Dude only had Hopkins.

Tex was spot on, you're trolling

In his rookie season he was exceptional at reading the defense quickly and decisive. Last season he was trying to be the hero because his main weapon were depleted with injuries. Dude only had Hopkins.

Tex was spot on, you're trolling

Yeah, his rookie season when nobody had tape on him or his tendencies, and he came in for 5 meaningless games against garbage defenses and put up good numbers.

Amazing how that all went away last year when dc's actually gameplanned for him.

He looked utterly clueless against the Colts in the playoffs. They figured out the blueprint; expect other teams to do the same thing that the Colts did and for him to continue to regress from his glorious 5 game stretch of 2017. Lord knows Vanilla Bill O'Brien will not be able to counter with anything creative or cutting edge.

Watson was good. It's stunning what he can do with this OL and a coach like OBrien. Even Brady struggled with O'Brien

Obriens record after five years as a NFL head coach 42 - 38

Bill Belichicks record after five years as an NFL head coach 36 -44

BB went to a better run franchise and found success.

Am I being too impatient? Is there a lesson to be learned here?

Is steelb onto something?

:coffee:

2011 he did. 2009-10 were the years they got shut down in the playoffs and were one and out. 2011 McDaniels came back for the playoffs.

OB was the OC for the entire 2011 season. MCD came back as an offense assistant coach for the playoffs. OB maintained play-calling duties thru SB XLVI

If your gonna spout hate, at least research and get your facts straight

Following the 2011 season, the Rams fired Spagnuolo as head coach. While McDaniels was under contract for the 2012 season, the Rams informed him that they would not hold him to his contract, and would allow him to leave.[16] The Patriots then hired McDaniels to act as an offensive assistant coach during their 2011 playoffs, and to replace Bill O'Brien as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the 2012 season. O'Brien left the Patriots after the 2011 season concluded to become head coach at Penn State, but maintained playcalling duties through Super Bowl XLVI.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_McDaniels

OB was the OC for the entire 2011 season. MCD came back as an offense assistant coach for the playoffs. OB maintained play-calling duties thru SB XLVI

Following the 2011 season, the Rams fired Spagnuolo as head coach. While McDaniels was under contract for the 2012 season, the Rams informed him that they would not hold him to his contract, and would allow him to leave.[16] The Patriots then hired McDaniels to act as an offensive assistant coach during their 2011 playoffs, and to replace Bill O'Brien as offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach for the 2012 season. O'Brien left the Patriots after the 2011 season concluded to become head coach at Penn State, but maintained playcalling duties through Super Bowl XLVI.

Yes, and OB was also calling plays for 2009-10

It’s become comical at this point with this dude...

It’s become comical at this point with this dude...

Is it? Just posting all of the signs from the past showing O'Brien is a bad offensive coach. Even at Penn State the offense sucked.

Of course if the Texans actually had a real interview process they could have figured this out.

Is it? Just posting all of the signs from the past showing O'Brien is a bad offensive coach. Even at Penn State the offense sucked.

Of course if the Texans actually had a real interview process they could have figured this out.

Instead of posting mythical signs, how about posting facts?

2009 they won the division and then lost Welker at Reliant with an ACL/MCL and he missed the playoffs. Haven't looked at 2010 yet, but you've proven my point already

LOL, so we're doing the injury excuse for O'Brien even when he has Brady? Hilarious.

Instead of posting mythical signs, how about posting facts?

Which fact was wrong?

O'Brien was calling plays 2009-11. Pats looked awful offensively in the playoffs in 2009-10 and were bounced in the first round. The Jets game caused a lot of buzz at the time. For 2011, McDaniels came back for the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back