Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they don't. Everyone unanimous, nobody made a final call.

Is your memory that short? I said 95+%

So only 5%, way to cover your bases. If true this explains why the Texans org has been F'ed up for 15 yrs. Oh well, that's in the past and will not be happening for the next 4 yrs.

Bob having a hard on for Hoyer still doesn’t translate to the GM offering a high 2nd for him....The ridiculous offer still falls on Rick Smith...which is what u BoB haters still fail to recognize.

So they didn't talk about what to offer? Unlikely.

Also, if Rick doesn't pull off the trade then O'Brien complains he only coaches the guys he's given.

Also, having a hard-on for hoyer is the real problem here.

So they didn't talk about what to offer? Unlikely.

Also, if Rick doesn't pull off the trade then O'Brien complains he only coaches the guys he's given.

Also, having a hard-on for hoyer is the real problem here.

It’s not if He can’t get him here.

Highly doubt they did talk about what exactly to offer. Nevertheless Rick being on the job for as long as he had been....he still should’ve had a better idea of Hoyer’s worth around the NFL....and clearly it wasn’t a high 2nd rounder considering:

A. - Hoyer had accomplished nothing of note in his career to that point...

B. - he’d torn his ACL the year prior

C. - he had nothing in the way of any discernible measurable that you look for in a franchise qb.

Deciding the value of a player when it comes to trades, contracts and drafting was Rick’s core job duty. Much in the way coaching players is BoB’s.

Highly doubt they did talk about what exactly to offer. Nevertheless Rick being on the job for as long as he had been....he still should’ve had a better idea of Hoyer’s worth around the NFL....and clearly it wasn’t a high 2nd rounder considering:

C. - he had nothing in the way of any discernible measurable that you look for in a franchise qb.

Deciding the value of a player when it comes to trades, contracts and drafting was Rick’s core job duty. Much in the way coaching players is BoB’s.

I think the head coach should know what draft picks the GM is offering

Which makes this story hard for me to believe. Stupid of BOB to want Hoyer that badly. Stupid of Rick to offer the 33rd pick. Stupid of the Browns to decline the offer. Maybe I have too much faith in humanity, but that’s too much stupidity for me to believe it actually took place.

They're all sitting there together discussing any potential trade and that includes both the player & the picks.

The JJ Watt/Peterson selection is illustrative. Wade was involved too.

“Involved” is a far cry from calling the shot and it was ultimately Smith’s job to pull the trigger.

It appears Smith was trying to do what did when he acquired Schaub when he offered what he did for Hoyer. BoB for his part probably expressed to Smith that he would really like to get Hoyer here on several occasions..but that’s probably where it ended. What to offer to get him here? Unlikely.

Ya’ll are trying to portray Smith as a yes man to BoB and if that were the case the reports about those 2 having problems wouldn’t exist. If you’re implying that, then it’s even more of an indictment on Smith as a GM.

“Involved” is a far cry from calling the shot and it was ultimately Smith’s job to pull the trigger.

It appears Smith was trying to do what did when he acquired Schaub when he offered what he did for Hoyer. BoB for his part probably expressed to Smith that he would really like to get Hoyer here on several occasions..but that’s probably where it ended. What to offer to get him here? Unlikely.

Ya’ll are trying to portray Smith as a yes man to BoB and if that were the case the reports about those 2 having problems wouldn’t exist. If you’re implying that, then it’s even more of an indictment on Smith as a GM.

Bob really wanting to get hoyer is fireable in itself.

"hey Rick, I really want hoyer. No time to talk about what to trade, bye."

Bottom line, if they're not all-pros, BO'b can't coach them.

I hope... & I really mean it, the Brian Gain is better at acquiring talent than Rick was. At the same time, i hope BO'b gets better at coaching the talent he's been given. It's looks like he's blatently coaching against the talent he has.

Bob really wanting to get hoyer is fireable in itself.

And Fitz, and Mallett, and Osweiler, and starting Savage over Watson because 'he's been in this offence for a while', etc etc, ad infinitum. The whole thing is bad sit-com now. Hopefully the network pulls the plug sooner rather than later.

And Fitz, and Mallett, and Osweiler, and starting Savage over Watson because 'he's been in this offence for a while', etc etc, ad infinitum. The whole thing is bad sit-com now. Hopefully the network pulls the plug sooner rather than later.

To be fair Mallet had all the natural tools he just didn't have the maturity. He still needed to learn to throw at something other than "hard as you can" but he did have the God given tools. I do blame BoB though for jumping back and forth between Mallet and Hoyer so much that neither of them had a chance to really get their feet under them until Mallet forgot how alarms work and they had to go with Hoyer. I don't know maybe if Mallet had felt like the team and coaches had more confidence in him he would have matured or maybe not.

Osweiler I don't actually blame anybody for. They were in the position where they had to make a big move at QB and Osweiler was the best of a very limited number of choices. He was absolutely the best F/A coming open and in order to get a QB from the draft at the time it would have cost us an arm and a leg because Titans had number 1 and they weren't giving that up without twisting the screws to us. Plus, I could be wrong, but I don't remember any stand out QB in that draft, certainly not like the one we got Watson in.

Everyone harps on Osweiler but they forget that Elway was ready to match our offer but Osweiler didn't give him the chance because he felt disrespected. You can say that Smith or BoB or whoever really sucked at talent evaluation and made a huge mistake but a HoF QB turned GM just coming off of building SB winning team was ready and willing to make the same mistake. And really up till he got here Osweiler looked pretty good in the limited game film that was out there, he went up against Brady and won so yeah hard to say he completely sucked while with Denver. That may have been coaching, that may have been the defense or that may have been just the WR making him look good but look pretty good he did. Osweiler was not a case of Elway being so much smarter than us as him dodging a bullet we jumped in front of.

Fitz I don't remember well, working a lot of turn arounds at that time, so I'll skip that but as far as starting Savage over Watson that is absolutely what he should have done. Watson should have been given a year to hold the clip board just like Mahomes was to given him a chance to not only get use to NFL level football but heal from college. I don't blame BoB for starting Savage over Watson but I do blame him that after three years in the system Savage still looked like he has no clue how to function on the field.

So yeah most the QBs you could make an arguement for why things happen the way they did but Savage there is no excuse for. When we were playing QB merry go round anyway why didn't we throw Savage in there for a game to see how he did in a real game, and why after working him day in and day out did nobody see that this guy doesn't seem to get it. Or if they did see it, and thus why they didn't okay him, why did we keep him on the roster for three years? We could have grabbed Wheedon or any number of cheap second or third rate QBs after him not being ready two years in then they could have had a year in the system before we put them out there and tell them " Try not to totally F up and just get through this season so the rookie has a chance to learn before someone pushes his face in." Then plan for them to pull a Manning and just manage the game and limit interceptions, but hey what do I know.

So yeah most the QBs you could make an arguement for why things happen the way they did but Savage there is no excuse for. When we were playing QB merry go round anyway why didn't we throw Savage in there for a game to see how he did in a real game, and why after working him day in and day out did nobody see that this guy doesn't seem to get it.

Ummm, they did and he didn't suck. Then he got injured and Os went back in

So only 5%, way to cover your bases. If true this explains why the Texans org has been F'ed up for 15 yrs. Oh well, that's in the past and will not be happening for the next 4 yrs.

This thread is living proof that nothing is in the past around here.

I am getting so sick of this thread and all the regurgitated info. Time to move on... this is 100 times worse than the Fire Kubiak threads

It'd be nice if this board had an ignore thread feature.

Reactions: JB
He also basically swapped Keenum for mallet. Keenum isn't great but he's better than Mallet.

Ummm, they did and he didn't suck. Then he got injured and Os went back in

And then he was ready to come back vs New England but OBrien went with osweiler

Reactions: JB
I am getting so sick of this thread and all the regurgitated info. Time to move on... this is 100 times worse than the Fire Kubiak threads

I actually agree with you, but there is nothing else going on in the other threads and I enjoy reading this site at work so hey have to work with what you got. :spin::troll:

I actually agree with you, but there is nothing else going on in the other threads and I enjoy reading this site at work so hey have to work with what you got. :spin::troll:

UGH...

Okay, tell us why once again and you would replace him with ___? And that will be so much better because___?

I have no idea who we should replace him with. But knowing Arians was available, I'd have fired Billy before the clock hit 00:00 of that 2nd embarrassing home playoff loss.

So now... no idea who would replace him. But I'd fire his asz too if he kept doing the crap Billy keeps doing.

Well, not the winning games against bad teams part. I'm okay with that. It's the coaching against himself that's killing me.

With all due respect, and not trying to be horrible but, if it's winding you up that much perhaps a short break is in order? I think the thread, whilst repetitive, is the single most important topic of discussion for this team right now.

"Bill O'Brien Needs to Be Fired for Not having Texans prepared in Wild Card Game."
https://www.12up.com/posts/6264703-...-not-having-texans-prepared-in-wild-card-game

"How much of the Houston Texans’ 21-7 loss to the Indianapolis Colts Saturday in the AFC wild-card at NRG Stadium was coach Bill O’Brien’s fault?
Answer: all of it."

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/05/how-much-texans-21-7-playoff-exit-bill-obrien-fault/

"Houston seems to have a team talented enough to compete for a championship, but another first round playoff exit raises the question of whether O’Brien is the coach that will lead them over the hump. As the Texans head into the offseason, it’s possible that we’ve seen O’Brien’s peak."

https://fansided.com/2019/01/05/texans-shutout-bill-obrien-playoffs/

"During his tenure, Houston has played 38 games against teams finishing with a winning record. The Texans have gone 11-27 in those affairs. Come the postseason, O’Brien has a 1-3 mark with the lone win coming against Connor Cook and the Raiders."
https://fansided.com/2019/01/05/bill-obrien-texans-fired-rumors-2019/

"If the Texans had failed to score on Saturday, they would’ve become the fifth team to join that infamous club, and O’Brien would have been in charge of two of those five teams. Even though O’Brien was able to narrowly avoid that happening, it speaks to how poor of a coach O’Brien is when it comes to the playoffs."
https://fansided.com/2019/01/05/texans-shutout-bill-obrien-playoffs/

"If Houston is going to compete with the Colts both in the short and long-term, O’Brien has to become a strength instead of a pronounced weakness. The Texans gave him an extension last offseason, showcasing their belief in him. So far, that faith has not been rewarded."
https://fansided.com/2019/01/05/bill-obrien-texans-fired-rumors-2019/

"A clown show for Texans. Bill O’Brien should be better than this by now."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...le/Smith-A-clown-show-for-Texans-13511497.php

"The man who calls the plays — and has twice self-appointed himself the Texans’ offensive coordinator — admitted they were horrible."

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...Bill-O-Brien-is-down-but-will-he-13251893.php

Couldn’t agree more! Great read...

With all due respect, and not trying to be horrible but, if it's winding you up that much perhaps a short break is in order? I think the thread, whilst repetitive, is the single most important topic of discussion for this team right now.

Or perhaps you could mind your own business.

Nah, never will happen.

I have no idea who we should replace him with. But knowing Arians was available, I'd have fired Billy before the clock hit 00:00 of that 2nd embarrassing home playoff loss.

So now... no idea who would replace him. But I'd fire his asz too if he kept doing the crap Billy keeps doing.

Well, not the winning games against bad teams part. I'm okay with that. It's the coaching against himself that's killing me.

Those 11 wins are probably killing you too.

The problem with "Fire O'Brien" is that this is discussion only. The decision has been made by those with the power to make it...(and yes Cal McNair has been part of the committee ever since his father first took ill).

Factors to consider

1) A coach coming off 11-5 division winner after a terrible 4-12 season and 0-3, has at some level "done a good job"
2) If you follow the money, O'Brien is entering the 1st year (2019 season) of 4 year contract extension
3) The history of this organization has shown that they hold on too long, only making a change when a disaster season happens.
4) As of this posting, there has not been one significant change to the coaching staff, again the people in charge don't see a need for change

I am pretty sure that I don't care for BOB as a coach, but I am just as sure that it will be the 2021 season before another coach (barring a total 2019 failure) is on the sidelines. for me, I have taken the road of acceptance of BOB is going to be here and hoping that he gets better over finding new ways to say that I think BOB sucks and should have been fired after 2017.

Good lawwrrdddyyy some people are too long winded. Bwhahaha quick simple and straight to the point is always better.

BoB is not going anywhere until Cal says so, Cal is not reading these forums,or if he is he's not listening, so nothing posted here matters one way or the other, people are beating a dead horse just to make themselves feel better.

Quick enough?

BoB is not going anywhere until Cal says so, Cal is not reading these forums,or if he is he's not listening, so nothing posted here matters one way or the other, people are beating a dead horse just to make themselves feel better.

Quick enough?

Yes that was quick enough. And we all know Obrien isn't going anywhere no time soon

Quick enough?
that's why I've adopted this mentality about O'Brien....
:popcorn:
Might as well sit back and watch the show (notice I didn't say 'enjoy') 'cause we fans can't change the script.

that's why I've adopted this mentality about O'Brien....
:popcorn:
Might as well sit back and watch the show (notice I didn't say 'enjoy') 'cause we fans can't change the script.

I became the same way after seeing the incompetence of Ricky for over a decade.

I found it theraputic to laugh at the McNair's and all of the money they were making despite their own incompetence.

Somebody has to make the final call and dont tell me that thru a decade and 2 regimes everything was mutually agreed upon. I mean a 50 yr married couple doesn't mutually agree on everything.
Why must you take everything to the extreme?
A 'group' CAN agree on a best course of action, as a GROUP, then all the GM is doing is acting on what the group decided.

...and I'd bet you that over
your hypothetical 50-year marriage the couple agree on most all the big things.

Why must you take everything to the extreme?
A 'group' CAN agree on a best course of action, as a GROUP, then all the GM is doing is acting on what the group decided.

...and I'd bet you that over
your hypothetical 50-year marriage the couple agree on most all the big things.

Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back