Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

FIRE O'BRIEN NOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Osweiler was an atypical situation. Pretty clear McNair was frustrated and told them "FIX IT!"

Smith tried and failed according to Rappaport.

This would explain BOB's disdain for Os.

But we already know what you think of the national media like Glazer/Rappaport etc...

Fact is Smith is gone and BOB is still here.

That they aren't infallible. Shocker.

Did OB's wife have cancer?

Even if Smith comes back, he's not coming back with anything to do with personnel. That should tell you what you need to know, but it wont.

BTW, Has Ricky's wife been in remission? That news has been strangely quite from Texans org. I wonder why they aren't giving periodical updates (Maybe once or twice a yr saying she's doing better or not) and championing Ricky's return to the org is coming soon. Could it be they want to divorce themselves from Rick Smith? Nah, it couldn't be that.

Even if Smith comes back, he's not coming back with anything to do with personnel. That should tell you what you need to know, but it wont.

Tells you exactly dick. They have a GM under contract for 3 more years. You don't take your old GM and have him work under the old one. You're being farcical.

Obrien probably created the narrative that he didn't want osweiler... After he saw him in training camp

Tells you exactly dick. They have a GM under contract for 3 more years. You don't take your old GM and have him work under the old one. You're being farcical.

They would bring him back as a community liason or executive VP to Cal or something if they wanted him back. Obviously they dont want him back. Why?

Obrien probably created the narrative that he didn't want osweiler... After he saw him in training camp
Or he really didn't want him and the fact that he didn't get a say in the pick was the source of the friction between him and RSmith. But it doesn't let BOB off the hook for putting the organization in the position that RSmith had to step in and pick someone without the normal coach's input.

And letting RSmith go says nothing to me about who was to blame. They weren't going to be able to work together and since BOB finally had his qb (thanks to RSmith) maybe he could finally be the coach he was hired to be. Plenty of blame to go around and I don't see any neat and tidy narrative that lays the blame solely on one person as being plausible.

BTW, Has Ricky's wife been in remission? That news has been strangely quite from Texans org. I wonder why they aren't giving periodical updates (Maybe once or twice a yr saying she's doing better or not) and championing Ricky's return to the org is coming soon. Could it be they want to divorce themselves from Rick Smith? Nah, it couldn't be that.

Why would they? He's no longer part of the Texans

By the way, a lot of rumors were also that Rick wanted Watson and that he basically ran that draft

They would bring him back as a community liason or executive VP to Cal or something if they wanted him back. Obviously they dont want him back. Why?

You're being ridiculous. People rarely come back to the same organization at a lesser position. And who says it's their choice he isn't back? Supposedly he is looking for a league job.

Or he really didn't want him and the fact that he didn't get a say in the pick was the source of the friction between him and RSmith. But it doesn't let BOB off the hook for putting the organization in the position that RSmith had to step in and pick someone without the normal coach's input.

And letting RSmith go says nothing to me about who was to blame. They weren't going to be able to work together and since BOB finally had his qb (thanks to RSmith) maybe he could finally be the coach he was hired to be. Plenty of blame to go around and I don't see any neat and tidy narrative that lays the blame solely on one person as being plausible.

Maybe, but the timing was curious. Before the season everything from obrien was positive. Halfway through all of a sudden there were leaks that he never wanted Brock.

Also, there was a story where obrien described a tough meeting with McNair about benching osweiler. Why would it be so tough if he wasn't responsible for signing him? It wasn't his fault if that's true

Also, there was a story where obrien described a tough meeting with McNair about benching osweiler. Why would it be so tough if he wasn't responsible for signing him? It wasn't his fault if that's true
Mr. Boss, you know that guy that you were all excited about and got talked about for paying 72MM for? I'm going to bench him for a guy that was already on the team for 2 years before you went out and got the stupidly expensive one. Then they high fived each other, smoked cigars and drank whiskey late into the night reminiscing about all the success they've had over the years with qb's.

Why would they? He's no longer part of the Texans

I seem to remember him saying he would be back when his wifes cancer was in remission.

If Cal wanted him back he would be back.

That he's not back tells us that the Texans org didn't want him back, the soft landing being let go.

You're being ridiculous. People rarely come back to the same organization at a lesser position. And who says it's their choice he isn't back? Supposedly he is looking for a league job.

You're mind isn't going to be changed.

I'm just glad he's gone.

A politician like Ricky should fit in real well with a politician like God'ell. Wonder if they can come up with anymore StarCaps/Bountygate/Deflategate crap. Knowing God'ell he probably will put Ricky over changing the replay rules and they will be screwed up worse than they already are.

God'ell should put his ego aside and adopt the replay rules that Belicheck suggested. But we know regardless of what's best for the game that God'ell will never let that happen.

Dude I freaking posted an article that was an update interview with him. I don't know how much you've dealt with cancer but when a member of my family had it I didn't want work blasting up dates to all my coworkers much less the world at large.

Also why would they champion anything when I doubt Smith has even decided if he's coming back or not. When you've left jobs did they keep everyone in town updated on your status?

Could it be that they are not telling every Tom, Dick and Harry what their plans are and are playing it close to the chest? Could it be that Bob McNair just died so Cal has bigger concerns than dealing with a moot issue. Nah, couldn't be any of that.

Steel I like you man but dear God this fantasy world you have built where Smith is concerned would put Tolkien to shame.

Dude I freaking posted an article that was an update interview with him. I don't know how much you've dealt with cancer but when a member of my family had it I didn't want work blasting up dates to all my coworkers much less the world at large.

Also why would they champion anything when I doubt Smith has even decided if he's coming back or not. When you've left jobs did they keep everyone in town updated on your status?

Could it be that they are not telling every Tom, Dick and Harry what their plans are and are playing it close to the chest? Could it be that Bob McNair just died so Cal has bigger concerns than dealing with a moot issue. Nah, couldn't be any of that.

Steel I like you man but dear God this fantasy world you have built where Smith is concerned would put Tolkien to shame.

His wife should be in remission by now and he said he wanted to comeback after she was in remission. I'm just asking why that hasn't happened.

His wife should be in remission by now and he said he wanted to comeback after she was in remission. I'm just asking why that hasn't happened.

Should be in remission and is in remission are different. It's also been a year, he may have changed his mind. For all we know they did offer something and it wasn't to his liking. There's plenty of possibilities and there's no requirement or reason for one to be picked.

Should be in remission and is in remission are different. It's also been a year, he may have changed his mind. For all we know they did offer something and it wasn't to his liking. There's plenty of possibilities and there's no requirement or reason for one to be picked.

Or more likely Cal gave him a golden parachute and kept him on the payroll for insurance purposes while his wife battles cancer.

Truth is we dont know, which is more likely?

I seem to remember him saying he would be back when his wifes cancer was in remission.

If Cal wanted him back he would be back.

That he's not back tells us that the Texans org didn't want him back, the soft landing being let go.

I think it was announce (speculated ) that he was taking a year off

Or more likely Cal gave him a golden parachute and kept him on the payroll for insurance purposes while his wife battles cancer.

He's not listed on the website. Would they be able to pay him as an officer but not disclose it?

Mr. Boss, you know that guy that you were all excited about and got talked about for paying 72MM for? I'm going to bench him for a guy that was already on the team for 2 years before you went out and got the stupidly expensive one. Then they high fived each other, smoked cigars and drank whiskey late into the night reminiscing about all the success they've had over the years with qb's.

Mr boss, I've been telling you I want Rick fired. He forced osweiler on me, and now it's obvious he needs to be benched and is not worth that money

that is 100% it, you don't strip someone of their health insurance right after their wife gets diagnosed with cancer

I know I have posted this before, but Kailee Wong still remains in touch with Rick, and even went out to visit him around the same time that SI or ESPN or whoever did that article on Rick. Kailee said on 610 that Rick all but said he would not be back with the Texans again, and very well might not ever return to football. He said if he did return to the game it would be in a roll that still allows him a lot of free time with his family, so not GM. Sounded like Rick realized what he had been missing all these years while being a GM, I guess the possibility of losing your partner can do that to you.

The Texans have always downplayed conflict/dissension within the organization. McClain pretty much reports what the Texans want/allow him to report.

The picture that has been painted for me is that Rick Smith and BOB weren't not fighting like teenage girls or having a cage match. Largely, that both me are middle age adult professional who despite seeing the football world really different could be let in the same room alone to do their jobs, but weren't going to have coffee or a beer together on their own time. and yes, agreement was often more lukewarm (or yeah okay) than a true meeting of the minds.

The picture that has been painted for me is that Rick Smith and BOB weren't not fighting like teenage girls or having a cage match. Largely, that both me are middle age adult professional who despite seeing the football world really different could be let in the same room alone to do their jobs, but weren't going to have coffee or a beer together on their own time. and yes, agreement was often more lukewarm (or yeah okay) than a true meeting of the minds.

I got the same sort of vibe. Maybe it's the lack of experience in professional settings or the influence of social media and reality TV, but people always assume that disagreements are always dramatic. In my experience, it's quite the opposite. Most people in those positions understand that disagreements are part of their job description and would rather have a working relationship than blowup argument that doesn't solve the problem.

Mr boss, I've been telling you I want Rick fired. He forced osweiler on me, and now it's obvious he needs to be benched and is not worth that money
BOB wasn't exactly in a position of pointing fingers about qb selection at the time of this conversation. Yes, I'm sure the dysfunctional relationship w/ RSmith was discussed but there's a reason McNair said, 'that was a gutsy call' in regards to benching Os. Not an easy conversation at all.

I got the same sort of vibe. Maybe it's the lack of experience in professional settings or the influence of social media and reality TV, but people always assume that disagreements are always dramatic. In my experience, it's quite the opposite. Most people in those positions understand that disagreements are part of their job description and would rather have a working relationship than blowup argument that doesn't solve the problem.

It's called tolerating each other and making a case for dissolving the relationship by going to ownership and saying I cant work with this person after the season is over. Then it's up to ownership who stays and who goes.

BOB wasn't exactly in a position of pointing fingers about qb selection at the time of this conversation. Yes, I'm sure the dysfunctional relationship w/ RSmith was discussed but there's a reason McNair said, 'that was a gutsy call' in regards to benching Os. Not an easy conversation at all.

It was probably gutsy because he benched the QB he wanted

Tweet from @RapSheet: From what I know, it’d be a major surprise if it was anyone but Tom Savage taking over at QB for the #Texans. Their passing O back in sync

Osweiler was starting a few weeks later even with Savage healthy

Well the only fact I know is that OB doesn't have what it takes to develop a quarterback. I hope he goes out and finds a good qb coach at least. Also, promoting the TE to OC doesn't instill confidence in me that the offense may get better.

Tweet from @RapSheet: From what I know, it’d be a major surprise if it was anyone but Tom Savage taking over at QB for the #Texans. Their passing O back in sync

Osweiler was starting a few weeks later even with Savage healthy

This should tell you who was running the Texans org, but it wont.

Do you really think BOB wanted to start Os particularly after the blowup they had in the lockerroom against the Tacks.

I don't doubt that Osweiler was a Rick Smith call and I don't doubt that BoB wasn't very high on him, but you know what, to bad. At this point all the QBs that BoB seemed high on, Mallet and Hoyer and the one he wanted drafted, Savage, seemed either to be crap or not ready. We are looking at it in hindsight but you know what at the time the Osweiler deal was a major victory for the Texans.

Put yourselves in the shoes of the GM for a minute. You just watched your team's QB go into the fetal position in a playoff game and your star franchise WR say on national TV to get him off the field. Your boss is pissed and is telling you to fix this and he doesn't care how. So now you have to get a QB, you're drafting high and the number one pick is held by a division rival. On top of that there are no real stand out, sure fire QB picks in this draft. So you go look at F/A and it sucks. Again no big names are coming up and even if they were their teams were ready to throw stupid money at them to keep them. The best of the lot is the back up for the SB winning team. In that scenario I don't really care if the HC likes the choice I've made or not.

Everyone is acting like it was clear that Osweiler would suck but at the time the opposite was true. He went toe to toe with Brady and won and Elway was ready to match us dollar for dollar to keep him. In reality the only reason we got him over Elway is because he felt disrespected by Elway for waiting for Manning to retire before offering him a contract. So yeah Osweiler may have been a Smith call but from what I've heard so was Watson. That means when it comes to QBs Smith picked one winner and one loser, while BoB wanted Mallet, Hoyer and Savage. What we lost draft wise to get rid of Osweiler is nothing compared to what we lost years wise and injury wise with the QB carousel of those three.

Well the only fact I know is that OB doesn't have what it takes to develop a quarterback. I hope he goes out and finds a good qb coach at least. Also, promoting the TE to OC doesn't instill confidence in me that the offense may get better.

I would say that Watson's development is proving you wrong. Or atleast I think I remember Watson playing in the pro bowl.

BTW, I dont remember BOB giving up OC duties. Do you?

This should tell you who was running the Texans org, but it wont.

Do you really think BOB wanted to start Os particularly after the blowup they had in the lockerroom against the Tacks.

Do I think BOB would start the wrong QB?

Yes we've seen it almost every year.

Also, he decides who plays.

I would say that Watson's development is proving you wrong. Or atleast I think I remember Watson playing in the pro bowl.

BTW, I dont remember BOB giving up OC duties. Do you?

I thought everyone was saying Watson was the reason for the offense struggling? Holding the ball too long?

I don't doubt that Osweiler was a Rick Smith call and I don't doubt that BoB wasn't very high on him, but you know what, to bad. At this point all the QBs that BoB seemed high on, Mallet and Hoyer and the one he wanted drafted, Savage, seemed either to be crap or not ready. We are looking at it in hindsight but you know what at the time the Osweiler deal was a major victory for the Texans.

Put yourselves in the shoes of the GM for a minute. You just watched your team's QB go into the fetal position in a playoff game and your star franchise WR say on national TV to get him off the field. Your boss is pissed and is telling you to fix this and he doesn't care how. So now you have to get a QB, you're drafting high and the number one pick is held by a division rival. On top of that there are no real stand out, sure fire QB picks in this draft. So you go look at F/A and it sucks. Again no big names are coming up and even if they were their teams were ready to throw stupid money at them to keep them. The best of the lot is the back up for the SB winning team. In that scenario I don't really care if the HC likes the choice I've made or not.

Everyone is acting like it was clear that Osweiler would suck but at the time the opposite was true. He went toe to toe with Brady and won and Elway was ready to match us dollar for dollar to keep him. In reality the only reason we got him over Elway is because he felt disrespected by Elway for waiting for Manning to retire before offering him a contract. So yeah Osweiler may have been a Smith call but from what I've heard so was Watson. That means when it comes to QBs Smith picked one winner and one loser, while BoB wanted Mallet, Hoyer and Savage. What we lost draft wise to get rid of Osweiler is nothing compared to what we lost years wise and injury wise with the QB carousel of those three.

I did think osweiler would suck. Classic case of overpaying a free agent from another team. Very risky.

Denver would have offered similar money but not nearly the same amount of guaranteed money.

Also, people wondering why we have depth issues should look at the assets we lost throughout the osweiler debacle, including lost picks and foregone free agents.

Do I think BOB would start the wrong QB?

Yes we've seen it almost every year.

Also, he decides who plays.

Not when they had so much $$$$ invested in Os and your boss (Ricky) tells you to play Os.

Why dont you think he went back to Savage particularly after Savage saved the season against the Jags?

You wont see him make the wrong decision this yr.

I did think osweiler would suck. Classic case of overpaying a free agent from another team. Very risky.

Denver would have offered similar money but not nearly the same amount of guaranteed money.

Also, people wondering why we have depth issues should look at the assets we lost throughout the osweiler debacle, including lost picks and foregone free agents.

There's a reason Ricky's not here anymore and BOB is.

I thought everyone was saying Watson was the reason for the offense struggling? Holding the ball too long?

Watson did what most rookie QB's do.

The OL and injuries to Fuller/Coutee were the main reasons the offense struggled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back